• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will The Future Change? - Crono for Smash Support Thread

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I can't say I'm counting on Crono happening in a world post Hero, but hey, he wasn't made into a mii costume either, there might be a chance now that more DLC was confirmed after the fighters pass. He's honestly the last "essential" character I feel is missing from Ultimate, so here's hoping I can see my favorite silent Goku lookalike join this amazing roster or if he's turned into a mii costume that he comes with a sweet CT remix

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
I'd be okay with a mii costume, especially if it has music to go with it. it's least it's some kind of playable Crono.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
So, has anyone ever thought how Crono's trailer could be like? I imagine it'd use the CT visuals and start with Crono talking to Gaspar at the end of time, informing him there's some sort of turbulence in time or something before he sends him elsewhere *cue in the time travel effect*, then they swap to the usual Smash reveal cgs where the Smash characters associated with time travel (Link, Bayo, Lucina, etc) are messing around until Crono falls out of nowhere and prepares in a battle stance before his title card appears (I'm not clever enough for these haha) and gameplay showcase starts.

Oddball

Smash Lord
If you're going to do characters messing around with time, you need Mario there. He had a time machine.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I think the main reason why I haven't given up in Crono is how they somehow didn't make him a Mii Costume to drop with hero, that doesn't mean I find him particularly likely, but at least they didn't give him a strong disconfirmation with a different role like some other characters? Particularly speaking of all the SNK rep we got with Terry. There could be a chance that Square simply doesn't want to lend the property to explain why he might not get any representation (I have heard Toriyama is particularly protective of CT, although I have no idea how true this is), but it's still rather odd if you ask me.
To his favor, I do feel a potential 3rd SE rep isn't as clear cut as it was with Hero, I don't think there's a definitive Square IP next in line that's a lot more iconic, historically important or popular as DQ was when it was missing to be all that guaranteed (considering that KH is owned by Disney and negotiations would likely have to be made with them rather than SE directly, and the pain that'd be working around how to represent Sora with no Disney spirits or assets), in that regard I don't think Cronos competition is as lopsided as before, but that is if we'd get another Square character (which I personally doubt), and if he wouldn't be deemed too similar to Hero given his Toriyama design, association with old school RPGs and status as a magic swordsman (with a lot more limited options than Hero if we want to compare their spells arsenal).

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
Well, I think Lara Croft might be a more iconic and historically important Square character, but you rarely see much support for her and she doesn't really feel very "Nintendo".

Crono at least comes from one of the best RPG from the Golden age of SNES RPGs. His game was huge before Final Fantasy was really huge. if you want a character that really feels like to represents the SNES he'd be one of the best choices.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Well, I think Lara Croft might be a more iconic and historically important Square character, but you rarely see much support for her and she doesn't really feel very "Nintendo".
For sure, but I don't see the demand for her to really consider her the next big face from Square despite selling the most out of their unrepped IPs. Maybe the core fanbase for Tomb Raider doesn't care much for Smash Bros? I don't even remember her being that petitioned for PSABR despite being one of the most iconic faces of the PS1.
I won't really hit her on not being very Nintendo when we got the likes of Snake and Joker now haha.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
after the RE spirits, you guys think Chrono Trigger could get that same treatment? It'd be the most anticlimatic way to be disconfirmed (outside of you know, reaching the end of DLC with no Crono in sight), but eh, I'd honestly just be happy to see CT recognized in Smash in some shape or form.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
after the RE spirits, you guys think Chrono Trigger could get that same treatment? It'd be the most anticlimatic way to be disconfirmed (outside of you know, reaching the end of DLC with no Crono in sight), but eh, I'd honestly just be happy to see CT recognized in Smash in some shape or form.
I would dread it, being Spirited with nothing else, for no reason, is IMO worse than nothing. At least some Mii Costumes, show that you give two damns about such a legendary series.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I would dread it, being Spirited with nothing else, for no reason, is IMO worse than nothing. At least some Mii Costumes, show that you give two damns about such a legendary series.
I disagree, Mii costumes always felt like some bootleg of your favorite character "making it in", but not really, it's hardly what I'd consider a compensation (although I wouldn't go to the extreme of calling it an insult like others do). While spirits are wholly uneventful given they're just a reused image, at least the battles involving them can make for a neat callback to the game they represent. That said, my disdain for mii costumes is pretty much gone if they give it the Sans treatment with a new remix included, but I wouldn't hold my breath for that happening with a Square rep given how FF and DQ where handled.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I disagree, Mii costumes always felt like some bootleg of your favorite character "making it in", but not really, it's hardly what I'd consider a compensation (although I wouldn't go to the extreme of calling it an insult like others do). While spirits are wholly uneventful given they're just a reused image, at least the battles involving them can make for a neat callback to the game they represent. That said, my disdain for mii costumes is pretty much gone if they give it the Sans treatment with a new remix included, but I wouldn't hold my breath for that happening with a Square rep given how FF and DQ where handled.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think Mii Costumes work as compensation either, but at least it shows that they thought the franchise was worth putting some effort into. A PNG found off the internet is just nothing.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Small content does at least show that they thought of the fans, but weren't able to include the character for some reason. That is, if Miis and spirits actually affect anything (and since this dev cycle is set to be a long one, it'll take a while to know for sure).

With the way Square-Enix is, Chrono Trigger would be lucky to be allowed to get anything at all if fans didn't ask for Crono enough. The only thing that's worse than being dead is to be forgotten, especially for the archival series that is Smash.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Small content at least shows that they thought of the fans, but weren't able to include the character for some reason. That is, if Miis and spirits actually affect anything (and since this dev cycle is set to be a long one, it'll take a while to know for sure).

With the way Square-Enix is, Chrono Trigger would be lucky to be allowed anything at all if fans didn't ask for Crono enough.
not helping is that apparently Toriyama is super protective of CT in particular, putting asides whatever rules we fans make up regarding relevancy, demand or how many reps a 3rd party can have, legal problems are probably the biggest nightmare when it comes to crossovers.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think Mii Costumes work as compensation either, but at least it shows that they thought the franchise was worth putting some effort into. A PNG found off the internet is just nothing.
but at least they're not asking 0.75 cents for it to see our boy in some shape or form in the game

Oddball

Smash Lord
Thinking about his trailer more, I'm not sure about the whole trailer, but I feel there needs to be a point where he's fighting Young Link, goes through a time portal, and is then attacked by Adult Link.

It should probably end with a battle againt Samus or Megaman.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I wanted to ask you guys a question: Does Sony own the music rights for Chrono Trigger? I ask because a close friend of mine said they do after talking to him awhile back about why it wasn't on the SNES Mini.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I wanted to ask you guys a question: Does Sony own the music rights for Chrono Trigger? I ask because a close friend of mine said they do after talking to him awhile back about why it wasn't on the SNES Mini.
I can't find anything about it, but it's incredibly unlikely. Chrono Trigger showed up on DS and Virtual Console, which is unlikely to happen if Sony had a say in it. Plus, Square's standard procedure at the time was to give the rights to the music to the composers, so that's Mitsuda and Uematsu. Given that splitting of the rights, I'd guess it was either Toriyama or Uematsu being too expensive (probably Uematsu, as he's infamous for that; if you had to deal with Uematsu just once, you'd probably go for FFVI over CT), or maybe just a general lack of budget to go for it.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Crono would be an awesome addition. But Square Enix has so many other more popular characters they would want to put in instead. If Smash Ultimate reached 4 or 5 characters per publisher, I could see Crono happening. But that's likely not gonna be the case.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I don't think the next SE character is as obvious as Hero was before his reveal, while there's bigger and far more active IPs than Chrono, I don't think any of them had the demand or historic importance as FF and DQ did to consider them locks. Yeah, there's points in favour for someone like Lara Croft, but I've never seen her demand be that big despite the franchise being dang succesful and her likely still being the most recognizable female character in gaming (does JP even care for Tomb Raider?). Either way, I'm not counting on another SE rep to worry much about Cronos potential inside competition.

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
With Smash Ultimate becoming a museum of some of gaming's greatest achievements, I could definitely see Chrono getting in considering his game, till this day, is still considered one of the best video games of all time. I remember it getting #1 in Japan as their favorite game not too long ago I believe, and I know us Americans absolutely love it. And with the dream team already on board in Smash (Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest) I could see Sakurai (or Nintendo?) asking to let Chrono in.

Nintendo is pretty good about pulling surprises. I think many wouldn't have thought Terry or Joker were coming before there reveal (or leaking in Terry's case) and Banjo-Kazooie always seemed unreal until they were finally physically revealed to us.

Oddball

Smash Lord
One word.
Geno.
If you want to talk about Geno, you're in the wrong topic.

Let's talk Crono instead, who's a much better character with a far larger role in a much better game (not that Mario RPG is bad, just that Chrono Trigger is on another level. It blows away most RPGS.)

Last edited:

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
It is something of a timeless classic, that I would love to see get the same kind of treatment Trials of Mana did honestly.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
I was saying that the reason Crono isn't talked about much is because Geno exists.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don't think that means a lot because people talk about other Square Enix characters like Sora, Lara Croft, 2B and even Neku Sakuraba. Maybe we should just try to be more vocal about our support for Crono, I think he isn't considered too much but if you put the idea in people's minds you'll find that they'll be in favor. Chrono Trigger is a legendary RPG and despite some initial (and imo ill-founded) concerns, Hero getting in made none of Crono's amazing moveset potential redundant.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I was saying that the reason Crono isn't talked about much is because Geno exists.
Not exactly. If that was the case than Sora's existence would also be why Crono isn't that wanted for Smash as well which really isn't the case. The Geno/SMRPG fanbase are just more dedicated to getting Geno in Smash Bros. than Chrono Trigger fans are of trying to get Crono in. Simply, the strong drive to get Crono in hasn't been awakened yet among the Chrono Trigger fanbase, but that could change if we stop believing in doubt and strive to make Crono popular to get a foot hold for a future slot.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
While it might not a likely scenario to get 2 SE character in a pass (or one for that matter), that has never stopped support threads from characters belonging to a single dev/publisher from gathering some degree of support in these boards (or anyone from supporting more than 1 character from a dev to get int). It's weird, Chrono Trigger isn't obscure, it's among the most recognizable RPGs of the SNES and still often considered among the best games ever made when you look at jouranlist lists, and it can be obviously deduced from the series debut system, it has ties with Nintendo. Sure it's dead, but that didn't stop Geno from having one of the most ridiculously sized support threads (or Banjo before that).

Oddball

Smash Lord
While it might not a likely scenario to get 2 SE character in a pass (or one for that matter), that has never stopped support threads from characters belonging to a single dev/publisher from gathering some degree of support in these boards (or anyone from supporting more than 1 character from a dev to get int). It's weird, Chrono Trigger isn't obscure, it's among the most recognizable RPGs of the SNES and still often considered among the best games ever made when you look at jouranlist lists, and it can be obviously deduced from the series debut system, it has ties with Nintendo. Sure it's dead, but that didn't stop Geno from having one of the most ridiculously sized support threads (or Banjo before that).
What characters do and don't get massive support sometimes confuses me. There's a lot of awesome characters with big fanbases that never seem to get any support while while minor niche characters are hyped to heaven.

I guess it just boils down to ... like the characters you like and ignore the ones you don't.

(Although I have gone into some of those Mega threads and a lot of times it seems they're talking about things OTHER than the character they support. Still, I suppose that serves to keep the thread active.)

So... who would we want as Crono's spirit board?
I'm thinking ...

Lucca: Mii gunner in steampunk outfit
Marle: Princess Zelda
Frog: Greninja with a sword
Ayla: ... not sure on this one... Donkey Kong maybe?
Robo: R.O.B.
Magus: Ganondorf with a Sythe
Queen Zeal: Palutena
Gato: Giant Sized Jigglypuff
Serge: Shulk
Lynx: Wolf with a Scythe
Kid: Zero suit Samus

D

Deleted member

I confess I still need to play Chrono Trigger.

Hopefully that changes soon.

D

Deleted member

Yes. You do need to play it.

In fact, why aren't you playing it right now?
Busy with a lot of IRL problems, a lack of money and more personal concerns.

If I find the right time I'll try to play It through an emulator, but right now I will try to focus on other stuff.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
For whatever it's worth, Crono made it to the top 50 of source gamings poll, which is honestly better than I'd have expected given how little I see people mention him all things considered.

Oddball

Smash Lord
For whatever it's worth, Crono made it to the top 50 of source gamings poll, which is honestly better than I'd have expected given how little I see people mention him all things considered.
Better than expected, maybe, but still far less than he deserves.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
No doubt, I'm surprised Geno and Lloyd both have a relatively sizable group of supporters when Crono doesn't when he hits a lot of the same beats as those do (not saying anyone who prefers those is wrong or anything, but it just feels strange given Crono share the status of legendary 3rd party RPG that debuted on a Nintendo system).

Oddball

Smash Lord
No doubt, I'm surprised Geno and Lloyd both have a relatively sizable group of supporters when Crono doesn't when he hits a lot of the same beats as those do (not saying anyone who prefers those is wrong or anything,
I'm perfectly okay with saying that.

Top Bottom