• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Fox shine again? - Fox Smash Switch speculation thread

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
P.S. is shine now frame 1?
Doesn't look like it to me. It looks like Sonic was stuck in a clank animation and Reflector activated after it. From what I can see of the slowed down gif, Fox goes through Reflector's startup of reaching down to activate it and it hits Sonic after that. What video was that from? It'd make it easier to go frame-by-frame to see it.

if they dont buff fox's run speed relative to the rest of the cast's buff, then than nets fox yet another nerf among a long list of them apparently.. something aint right
That's not how that works if I'm understanding you correctly. If Ultimate Fox somehow has the same ground speed numbers, but retains those rankings while others have their ground speed increased, then he's still the fast in those areas. His speed gap might not be as large as before, but if, for example, Falco, Ganondorf, Ike, Link, Luigi, and Zelda become closer to average to above-average speed, they are still slow in comparison to him and still irrelevant to him in ground speed when he will still outpace them. Now, if Fox's ground numbers are the same, but he drops in rankings because all the other faster characters become faster or someone like Kirby overshoots him in ground speed now, then yes, Fox was indirectly nerfed because they didn't scale or increase his ground speed. I doubt that's going to happen because Fox was always among the fastest in ground speed and for him to suddenly be around 10th or lower in ground speed would just be weird and perplexing. It's not like Mewtwo, Roy, Wolf, and presumably the Ice Climbers returning from being absent in a game or two and getting reworks where their speed was drastically changed or someone like Zelda who was always sluggish becoming more mobile, but not super-fast mobile.

Last edited:

xPROFx

Smash Cadet
NNID
omoprof
Doesn't look like it to me. It looks like Sonic was stuck in a clank animation and Reflector activated after it. From what I can see of the slowed down gif, Fox goes through Reflector's startup of reaching down to activate it and it hits Sonic after that. What video was that from? It'd make it easier to go frame-by-frame to see it.
This one https://youtu.be/qpjFpt-7k_Y?t=1571
Gif I've made is frame by frame. Again, youtube footage so...)

DT Raw

Smash Cadet
does the fps of the footage or monitor matter when going frame by frame on youtube with , and . or is it 1 frame each time regardless?

it does look like it hits at frame 1... the squat lasts 1 frame and is likely him hitting down right before B... down B at same time makes it come frame 1 most likely, worst case its hitting frame 2

what was shine frame in melee?

also, he went from shine to next shine in roughly 15 frames.. and that's assuming he did down B into fast as possible down B... so 15 plus the 1 or 2 on the frame hitting this thing is like a 16 ish frame lag time?? and again it could be faster if he didnt react as fast as possible which is most likely the case

edit... after 2nd shine, in roughly 14 frames he enters firefox, confirming the much faster endlag on this ability

2nd edit.. it appears the reflector comes out either frame 1 or 2, and actually then hits on frame 2 or 3.. so it is not a hit ur opponent frame 1, but at worst it is 100% hit on frame 3, with end lag also being way less

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
D DT Raw
Please do not double or triple post. Simply edit your plder post if you want to say something else. Repeated offenses will result in warnings or infractions.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
This one https://youtu.be/qpjFpt-7k_Y?t=1571
Gif I've made is frame by frame. Again, youtube footage so...)
Thanks.

Looking at the timestamped video, Sonic gets stuck in what I think is a clank animation for 12 frames, frame 1 here is considered when Sonic's fist makes contact with Fox and the clank bubble appears, when he hits Fox with Side Smash. Frame 12 is when he gets him Fox's Reflector. Fox's invincibility and the clank bubble makes it hard to see, but if you look carefully, there's a frame where Fox suddenly shifts from his idle to reaching for his Reflector. It's when he goes from standing up to crouching down a little. The frame after that, frame 2, is when Reflector is turned on and the frame following, frame 3, is when Reflector hits Sonic which is indicated by Sonic changing from his Side Smash animation to his injured animation. If you're following it by Sonic's clank hit hitstun, then Reflector's startup begins on frame 10, Reflector is turned on on frame 11, and Reflector hits Sonic on frame 12.

Looking at the first time it's used, you can see the startup animation more easily. Fox suddenly goes from his landing animation, where he's crouched down, to rising up a bit. The next frame is when Reflector is turned on, the second frame, and the frame following is when Sonic was hit on the second use, the third frame. If Morgan was mashing Down Special as fast as possible, then frame 37, the FAF, is when the second time Reflector was used. If that's the case, then the recovery is around 34 frames. 33 if Reflector is a frame 3-4 move, 2 active frames. That's basically Smash 4's Reflector which was post-1.1.0, a frame 6-7 move with a FAF of 41 giving it 34 recovery frames.

does the fps of the footage or monitor matter when going frame by frame on youtube with , and . or is it 1 frame each time regardless?
Your monitor shouldn't matter, but your computer specs might since someone said their computer lags when they use YouTube's frame-by-frame viewer. As for FPS of the footage, I don't know. Probably? The frame-by-frame viewer moves the video by 1 frame, but if say, a 30 FPS camera were to capture a game running at 60 FPS, then I think you might have to consider each frame as 2 frames. I'm not sure on this one. I also do set the video to a resolution with 60 FPS for checking stuff like this.

what was shine frame in melee?
It hits on frame 1 and is only active for that frame. Smashboards has Melee Fox's frame data: https://smashboards.com/threads/complete-fox-hitboxes-and-frame-data.285177/.

Last edited:

DT Raw

Smash Cadet
im clearly seeing reflector hit on frame 3 of activation, you are right, I see 10 frames of hit lag when sonic is hit and then fox on frame 37 including the 10 of hit lag has reflector fully dropped

****kkkkkk so basically fox reflector just hits frame 3 now instead of frame 6.. not much of a buff

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHcZIxJ1nmc

I did a video about Fox's frame data changes and other mechanical changes, stuff like that.

That Shine Counter thing is mad interesting =O I wonder if you can jump cancel it on counter?
Going off of your landing lag checks for Fox, this would be the changes to Fox's aerials in the E3 demo compared to Smash 4 and Melee and Brawl because why not.
Move|Melee|Brawl|Smash 4|SSBU E3 demo
Nair|15|9|11|7
Fair|22|18|27|18
Bair|20|15|15|9
Uair|18|22|22|13
Dair|18|12|25|17

L-canceling in Melee drops Nair to 7, Fair to 11, Bair to 10, Uair to 9, and Dair to 9.

For other moves, Dash attack's startup is the same at frame 4, Utilt's startup is the same at frame 3, Ftilt's startup is the same at frame 6, Dtilt's startup is the same at frame 7, and standing grab is the same at frame 6. Utilt's FAF being around frame 30 as you noted means that it went up by 2 from Smash 4's 28. If it has the same active frames, 3-5 clean and 6-7 late for 5 active frames, then its recovery would be 23 to Smash 4's 21. Ftilt being frame 6-7 and possibly 6-8, 3 active frames, with a 28 FAF means it recovery also went up from Smash 4's 16 to 20.

Once again, Melee Fox's frame data: https://smashboards.com/threads/complete-fox-hitboxes-and-frame-data.285177/, and Brawl Fox's frame data: https://smashboards.com/threads/foxs-framework-complete.240800/. Ya'll should know where to find Smash 4 Fox's.

question, what frames do you get for his up smash? for first active hit frame and FAF, I just got a wierd number that dont seem right
Skarfelt noted it has the same FAF in his video which would be 56 in Smash 4. So, I'm guessing it'll be the same on startup, possibly active, and recovery frames. 8-9 clean, 10-11 late, 4 active frames, and 45 recovery. Its invincibility I'm not sure. In Smash 4, it had frame 1-9 head invincibility which is okay, but if it was head and upper body, then it would have been a safer anti-air.

im clearly seeing reflector hit on frame 3 of activation, and am not getting 37 frames as the FAF.. its very likely maybe I'm doing something wrong as this the first time I have tried to track frame data, my monitor is 60 fps though so I'm simply clicking the "." button once and counting as I go
Go to the first time it was used. The starting frame should be the frame when Fox shifts from his landing animation to standing up a bit. I guess you could use the smoke disappearing from the center near his feet as an indicator of that too. That's frame 1 and by frame 3, Fox's Reflector would be on its first hit frame, the startup of it as was examined with Sonic getting hit on frame 3 and Wolf in my previous post using Fox's introductory video. Continue counting each frame until Fox uses Reflector again which is a bit hard to see, but try to notice the same frame of animation where Fox begins to reach for his Reflector. That's frame 37, his at least FAF assuming Morgan was mashing Down Special as fast as possible. It's the frame when Fox can act again and Morgan chooses to use Reflector again.

This would give us a 3 frame startup, 33-34 recovery frames depending on if it has 1 or 2 active frames, 36 total frames of animation, and a 37 FAF.

On a side note, I personally don't use FAF and prefer using startup, active frames, and recovery frames that other fighting game communities use, but FAF is helpful since you get recovery frames by using FAF - last active frame or (total frames - last active frame) + 1 where 1 is the next frame you would be able to act. For projectiles, active frames aren't include when calculating recovery, so just use FAF - startup or (total frames - startup) + 1.

Anyway, startup, active frames, and recovery frames I feel give a more concise picture of what a move does. So, a move with 5 startup, 3 active frames, and 20 recovery frames. You know exactly when it's going to be active, for how long it will be active, and how long it takes to recover, how long you will be able to act again. The Smash community as far as I know is the only one that uses FAF, sometimes doesn't include active frames as a separate thing, and usually does not include recovery frames for whatever reason. So, you'll get things like a move is 6-8 and has a FAF of 33. It's less numbers, but I find it difficult to read. You have to remember that frame 6 is an active frame, so the active frames is 3 from 6, 7, to 8, and a FAF of 33 you'd have to subtract it from the last active frame, frame 8 to get it recovery of 25 frames which should have been present, but rarely is. In my opinion, FAF is pretty much useless for someone trying to read frame data and see what's going on. It's only useful for people trying to write down frame data which even then, you could just look at the total frames and remember to add 1 later when calculating recovery frames. Anyway, I digress and that's my spiel of the day. :p

Last edited:

DT Raw

Smash Cadet
Going off of your landing lag checks for Fox, this would be the changes to Fox's aerials in the E3 demo compared to Smash 4 and Melee and Brawl because why not.
Move|Melee|Brawl|Smash 4|SSBU E3 demo
Nair|15|9|11|7
Fair|22|18|27|18
Bair|20|15|15|9
Uair|18|22|22|13
Dair|18|12|25|17

L-canceling in Melee drops Nair to 7, Fair to 11, Bair to 10, Uair to 9, and Dair to 9.

For other moves, Dash attack's startup is the same at frame 4, Utilt's startup is the same at frame 3, Ftilt's startup is the same at frame 6, Dtilt's startup is the same at frame 7, and standing grab is the same at frame 6. Utilt's FAF being around frame 30 as you noted means that it went up by 2 from Smash 4's 28. If it has the same active frames, 3-5 clean and 6-7 late for 5 active frames, then its recovery would be 23 to Smash 4's 21. Ftilt being frame 6-7 and possibly 6-8, 3 active frames, with a 28 FAF means it recovery also went up from Smash 4's 16 to 20.

Once again, Melee Fox's frame data: https://smashboards.com/threads/complete-fox-hitboxes-and-frame-data.285177/, and Brawl Fox's frame data: https://smashboards.com/threads/foxs-framework-complete.240800/. Ya'll should know where to find Smash 4 Fox's.

Skarfelt noted it has the same FAF in his video which would be 56 in Smash 4. So, I'm guessing it'll be the same on startup, possibly active, and recovery frames. 8-9 clean, 10-11 late, 4 active frames, and 45 recovery. Its invincibility I'm not sure. In Smash 4, it had frame 1-9 head invincibility which is okay, but if it was head and upper body, then it would have been a safer anti-air.

Go to the first time it was used. The starting frame should be the frame when Fox shifts from his landing animation to standing up a bit. I guess you could use the smoke disappearing from the center near his feet as an indicator of that too. That's frame 1 and by frame 3, Fox's Reflector would be on its first hit frame, the startup of it as was examined with Sonic getting hit on frame 3 and Wolf in my previous post using Fox's introductory video. Continue counting each frame until Fox uses Reflector again which is a bit hard to see, but try to notice the same frame of animation where Fox begins to reach for his Reflector. That's frame 37, his at least FAF assuming Morgan was mashing Down Special as fast as possible. It's the frame when Fox can act again and Morgan chooses to use Reflector again.

This would give us a 3 frame startup, 33-34 recovery frames depending on if it has 1 or 2 active frames, 36 total frames of animation, and a 37 FAF.

On a side note, I personally don't use FAF and prefer using startup, active frames, and recovery frames that other fighting game communities use, but FAF is helpful since you get recovery frames by using FAF - last active frame or (total frames - last active frame) + 1 where 1 is the next frame you would be able to act. For projectiles, active frames aren't include when calculating recovery, so just use FAF - startup or (total frames - startup) + 1.

Anyway, startup, active frames, and recovery frames I feel give a more concise picture of what a move does. So, a move with 5 startup, 3 active frames, and 20 recovery frames. You know exactly when it's going to be active, for how long it will be active, and how long it takes to recover, how long you will be able to act again. The Smash community as far as I know is the only one that uses FAF, sometimes doesn't include active frames as a separate thing, and usually does not include recovery frames for whatever reason. So, you'll get things like a move is 6-8 and has a FAF of 33. It's less numbers, but I find it difficult to read. You have to remember that frame 6 is an active frame, so the active frames is 3 from 6, 7, to 8, and a FAF of 33 you'd have to subtract it from the last active frame, frame 8 to get it recovery of 25 frames which should have been present, but rarely is. In my opinion, FAF is pretty much useless for someone trying to read frame data and see what's going on. It's only useful for people trying to write down frame data which even then, you could just look at the total frames and remember to add 1 later when calculating recovery frames. Anyway, I digress and that's my spiel of the day. :p
I agree with you on the FAF thing, now that I understand it, it was confusing at first

also, view this https://youtu.be/Arw6c0dJHAE the shine recover in this video is much shorter than a total 37 FAF... correct me if I am wrong please

and if you could humor me, go to 46 seconds into this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHcZIxJ1nmc and calculate the up smash frame data... to me it shows coming out on frame 6 or 7...

however, I notice that in 1 second's worth of time only 30ish frames are going by, which means it isn't accurate, but I also know that simply doubling the frames I count is also not accurate because those numbers dont come out right either....

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
also, view this https://youtu.be/Arw6c0dJHAE the shine recover in this video is much shorter than a total 37 FAF... correct me if I am wrong please
Yeah, I'm not going to mess with that. The reason being that it hits Wolf and hit lag is involved which I don't know how to factor into counting frames. The other one with Morgan using Reflector twice you can get FAF since he doesn't hit Sonic on the first use despite Sonic being in a clank animation. With this one and other footage showing characters getting hit, the only thing I will get out of them is startup while recovery and such I leave out.

and if you could humor me, go to 46 seconds into this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHcZIxJ1nmc and calculate the up smash frame data... to me it shows coming out on frame 6 or 7...
I can't tell. I don't know what FPS Skarfelt Skarfelt 's video is running at. I was able to find the video where the clip comes from and I think the player, Demetrius, charged it ever so slightly because it looks like it comes out at frame 10 or 11 and there's about 3 frames where Fox is crouching down and glowing like when you charge a Smash: https://youtu.be/76opiavw7jg?t=436. The second and third time he uses it also looks like he's charging it too with the third one looking like it's coming out on frame 13. I think he's inputting Smashes normally with the left analog stick and attack button instead of flicking it with the right analog stick or possibly holding down attack and special a bit too long.

I looked at another video with Larry Lurr that was recorded off-screen, but is presumably 60 FPS since the quality settings go up to there and same thing, it looks like he's charging it for a frame or two making it hit Bayonetta's Bat Within on frame 11. They might not have been charging and it's actually frame 10 now, but the yellow flashing makes me suspect that. I'd wait until there's more clearer gameplay or when the game's out for this. I had a hard time looking at Zelda's Smashes, but at least hers lined up with her Smash 4's frame data, so I'm not sure about this one.

For these below, I don't know if the player acted on the next possible frame as possible, so for example, they could have started moving again a couple frames later which would skew things, so they're just estimates. That said, I tried to look for instances where the player immediately shields instead of moving, attacking, or whatever else.

Dash attack is confirmed to be frame 4 on startup and on two instances, he was able to act starting on frame 41. The first time he missed started moving again while the second time he shielded because Sonic was really close to him. If dash attack is the same in active frames, 12, with its last active frame on 15, then dash attack has 26 recovery frames now up from Smash 4's 21 which had a 36 FAF. Fox's dash attack in Smash 4 was really good, so I can see them nerfing it, but at the same time, they could have made everyone's dash attack better, so...

He also whiffed a lot of rapid jabs for some reason, but that lets us estimate rapid jab finisher's recovery. Rapid jab finisher is frame 3 on startup and one time Demetrius shields after whiffing it. Fox started shielding on frame 40. If rapid jab finisher still has the same 2 active frames, then it has 36 recovery frames up from Smash 4's 29 which had a 33 FAF. The rapid jab finisher thing might be universal or at least the ones with faster recoveries will become slower since Falco's looked incredibly slow since he has to do a backflip at the end of it. Why? I don't know. The other thing is with rapid jabs being much faster and looking like they connect better, they might be making it more punishable to counter that. Granted, Smash 4 Fox's rapid jab was among the best in Smash 4 let alone his jab 1 and 2 having good utility, so there's that too.

Dtilt seems to be 29 FAF which is 1 frame slower assuming the player did shield as fast as possible. If not, then it could have the same FAF as in Smash 4. Knowing that its startup is 7 and assuming it still has the same active frames, 3, then it would have 20 recovery frames. Once again, 1 frame slower, but this assumes the player shielded as fast as possible.

DT Raw

Smash Cadet
Thx for this. All of this just gets more and more alarming for fox players.. it seems they have legit nerfed every single bit of him for no reason. He was higher tier in smash 4 but no where near a problem. If all those moves r nerfed in frame data hes gona be trash tier as frame data is the only reason hes good.

**** better get fixed these next 6 months

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
****kkkkkk so basically fox reflector just hits frame 3 now instead of frame 6.. not much of a buff
It's twice as fast compared to in Smash 4 and frame 3 is around most jab's startup. Granted, its recovery is higher, but as a reflect, it could start reflecting at under frame 4 now unlike in Smash 4.

Thx for this. All of this just gets more and more alarming for fox players.. it seems they have legit nerfed every single bit of him for no reason. He was higher tier in smash 4 but no where near a problem. If all those moves r nerfed in frame data hes gona be trash tier as frame data is the only reason hes good.

**** better get fixed these next 6 months
I feel like it's less of him getting nerfed that's affecting him and more of he's experiencing what Captain Falcon did in Brawl and also what he did in Brawl as well where the knockback and hit stun changes really messed with him. Capt. and Fox are combo-oriented characters and if the knockback and hitstun are changed in a way that they can't do what they usually do like in the previous game(s), then their game plans get messed up. I haven't seen much of Capt.'s gameplay or looked at comments about him, but it seems like at least for the E3 demo build, Capt. and Fox switched places from their Brawl situation where Capt. might be doing fine, but not as well as in Smash 4 at least while Fox is doing much worse than he should be.

I say much worse since Capt. and Fox aren't complicated characters nor are they ones with problematic designs like Falco and Zelda. They also never underwent "what the hell is going on" types of changes like Meta Knight and Samus did from Brawl to Smash 4. It's always been this is Captain Falcon and this is Fox, but the strangest thing is that by now, by Ultimate, they should have known to readjust characters if they change the mechanics of the game. Yes, there are a lot of characters, but the last time they didn't readjust characters properly, those characters, Captain Falcon and Ganondorf, ended up being the worse at least competitively in Brawl and by the next game, they became much better, so what is going on now? It should have been the first thing to be considered and especially so when Fox is one of the original 8 and debuts with each Smash game's announcement. Then again, Marth had a rough start in Smash 4 going from Brawl and the change in gameplay and Meta Knight in Smash 4's beginning seemed like less of a nerf and more of a we don't know what we're doing. It's one thing to nerf a character. It's another to mess up their hitboxes.

Universal nerfs like what I think is happening to rapid jab finishers with fast to okay recovery becoming slower are adding to it, but probably not to the degree of the mechanics changes. You're not really supposed to use rapid jab finishers on-shield or whiff them anyway and dash attacks shouldn't be spammable, especially with Fox's being of the best in frame data in Smash 4.

Last edited:

DT Raw

Smash Cadet
It's twice as fast compared to in Smash 4 and frame 3 is around most jab's startup. Granted, its recovery is higher, but as a reflect, it could start reflecting at under frame 4 now unlike in Smash 4.

I feel like it's less of him getting nerfed that's affecting him and more of he's experiencing what Captain Falcon did in Brawl and also what he did in Brawl as well where the knockback and hit stun changes really messed with him. Capt. and Fox are combo-oriented characters and if the knockback and hitstun are changed in a way that they can't do what they usually do like in the previous game(s), then their game plans get messed up. I haven't seen much of Capt.'s gameplay or looked at comments about him, but it seems like at least for the E3 demo build, Capt. and Fox switched places from their Brawl situation where Capt. might be doing fine, but not as well as in Smash 4 at least while Fox is doing much worse than he should be.

I say much worse since Capt. and Fox aren't complicated characters nor are they ones with problematic designs like Falco and Zelda. They also never underwent "what the hell is going on" types of changes like Meta Knight and Samus did from Brawl to Smash 4. It's always been this is Captain Falcon and this is Fox, but the strangest thing is that by now, by Ultimate, they should have known to readjust characters if they change the mechanics of the game. Yes, there are a lot of characters, but the last time they didn't readjust characters properly, those characters, Captain Falcon and Ganondorf, ended up being the worse at least competitively in Brawl and by the next game, they became much better, so what is going on now? It should have been the first thing to be considered and especially so when Fox is one of the original 8 and debuts with each Smash game's announcement. Then again, Marth had a rough start in Smash 4 going from Brawl and the change in gameplay and Meta Knight in Smash 4's beginning seemed like less of a nerf and more of a we don't know what we're doing. It's one thing to nerf a character. It's another to mess up their hitboxes.

Universal nerfs like what I think is happening to rapid jab finishers with fast to okay recovery becoming slower are adding to it, but probably not to the degree of the mechanics changes. You're not really supposed to use rapid jab finishers on-shield or whiff them anyway and dash attacks shouldn't be spammable, especially with Fox's being of the best in frame data in Smash 4.
well dash attacks are going to be way worse now since you can do anything out of a dash, not only that, but if the not being able to get past shielding opponents on the ground thing ISNT a bug, then dash attacks are even worse because you cant cross up..

btw, found a clip here where the film is definitely 1 frame at a time... at about 33 seconds fox lands a back air, hits the ground, i count 9 frames of back air landing lag, and then up smash comes out on frame 8 immediately after.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cFFJRng1E4

so thankfully I think fox's best kill move is still frame 8

Rhus

We're going top speed!
Thank you for all your analysis and technical insights, Ffamran Ffamran . Much appreciated!

I would also like to point out at this point that Fox is almost always deemed worse than he actually is during demo/early release stage. This happened in Brawl and Sm4sh, and he climbed many spots once people started understanding how he works in each iteration. Fox's kit is straightforward in that it does not have much overlaid complexity (Think Robin, Olimar, Megaman), but he always has a huge skill ceiling because so much of Fox's power is contingent on understanding how to move. Fox has always been probably the fastest character around (speaking to Dash*, Dash, fall speed, frame data altogether), so his effectiveness is reliant on how that speed is utilized.

As Skarfelt Skarfelt mentioned in his video, Fox's options are not that strong in a vacuum - it's his movement that makes him.

On the note of the shine - even if the frame data is relatively comparable to the Sm4sh iteration (definitely is active faster though), the hitbox seems ver noticeably larger (ie. it isn't actually awful ala Sm4sh). I'm hopeful that it will become a little more useful in this game.

Also Ffamran Ffamran is right - this will allow him to reflect things more reliably, which is important because I got hit way too many times in Sm4sh when the hexagon visibly appeared but the charge shot still hit me. :glare:

DT Raw

Smash Cadet
does anyone know if smash attacks are charged they actually make the character flash during those charged frames correct? That is what the wiki says started in brawl...that could be our way of correctly timing smash attacks like up smash in these videos.. a lot of them appear to have flashing frames in the attack

EDIT:

ok, so I have done a TON of frame by frame data on videos, accounted for the exact 100th of seconds in the timer for when moves started and ended... It appears a lot of people are doing smash attacks with fox with left stick and A button and are adding a good 2 to 4 frames of charge in most of their attacks..

I have since found a few where there seems to be no charging or VERY little like 1 frame... I am 99% certain that fox's forward smash is still active on frame 13 and has a FAF of between 46 to 48 but pretty sure its 46. I found a reverse pivot up smash that must have been made with the C stick because it was the quickest by far I have seen of anyones up smash with 0 frames of flashing on fox (meaning no charge) and his first hit frame still comes out on frame 8 and the FAF seems to still be the same at 56

I have not yet confirmed down smash, but I am going to assume it is also the same, I do not believe any of his smashes have changed frame data wise.

If anything, let this confirm that using left stick and A for smashes absolutely does add 1 to 3 frames of lag to the move compared to immediate C stick

for anyone interested, the reverse up smash frame 8 can be found here at 2:17 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_eZO0WTL30

what I did was find the 100th of a second that the up smash starts, then the last 100th of a second it ends, add the frames between those 2 numbers, divide by 100 since 1/100 of a second on the match timer, then multiply by 60 since 60 frames in 1 second... This I believe is as accurate as it can be

EDIT:

I can confirm down smash with no charging frames at all comes out at frame 5 or 6, seems most likely 6 since that is what it currently is in smash 4, doubt they added a frame faster. FAF was unable to be figured out as he was jabbed before he could react.. but it appears all smash attacks for fox have the same data with 0 nerfs, this is a relief

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Remember when I said that Fox and everyone's jumps are frame 4? I'm wrong. I thought the first airborne frame was considered, but it's not and I checked Smash 4, KoF XIII, and KoF XIV's jumps with their frame data sheets to confirm. That is to say, Smash 4 Bowser's jumpsquat is 8 frames and he's airborne on frame 9 and everyone in KoF XIII and XIV are airborne on frame 5 and their jumps are 4 frames. Everyone's jumps as of the E3 demo are frame 3. In other words, if this stays, then Fox is back to his 64 and Melee jump and his jump is 1 frame faster than in Brawl and Smash 4.

Last edited:

DT Raw

Smash Cadet
yes i believe the universalized everyones jumpsquat to 3 frames for ultimate.. doesn't really benefit fox too much I dont think as everyone got it

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
Is it true that Fox's Up Tilt does not combo as well anymore? I was listening to ZeRo talk on a podcast and he had mentioned that.

He also stated that it seems like opponents tend to fall out of Fox's Up Air.

DT Raw

Smash Cadet
None of the tilts on any character combo as much into themselves. I still saw up tilt combo a couple times into itself though just not nearly as much.

I saw plenty of up airs getting kills in videos and saw no one falling out of up airs, not sure what u even mean by that

Book Jacket

Smash Apprentice
So we've got 3 frames more endlag on each tilt according to Skarfelt's analysis. Given the new mechanics, how do we see this playing out for fox?

We can use the tilts out of run or pivot, and though the exact shield mechanics are unkown, we know that shield drop time is 11 frames. Additionally, we know (also thanks to skarfelt) that dtilt's inside hit pops up now. Fox's tilts are still some of the fastest, and though reports are that it's harder to combo, folks are also saying this game is rewarding aggressive play. I'm optimistic about fox's ground game, and I'm curious about y'all's thoughts.

DT Raw

Smash Cadet
From what i saw i think down tilt is the exact same no? I think skarfelt said the same? I played ultimate at CEO this weekend and can confirm fox upsmash got a higher hitbox buff to where you can now up smash people on the lower platforms on battlefield and also that his back air seems to extend his leg out a bit further similar to falcos.

Forward tilt was a FAF of 24 frames so if its only been merfed by 3 or 4 that is a very good shield poke option as it has good range on it to stay safe from being punished I think

DT Raw

Smash Cadet
R u sure about this? Everyone else who has tested both has said its a few frames more end lag and it looks a bit slower too

DT Raw

Smash Cadet
Ill have to check later when im at my computer. If true thats great news. Wonder why then they dont string together more like smash 4.. change in knockback maybe?

xPROFx

Smash Cadet
NNID
omoprof
Umm whats that supposed to signify
Never mind that)

This illustration based on Krilov's fable "Ворона и лисица" (Crow and vixen). Spoiler: vixen gets away with cheese in the end

Last edited:

DT Raw

Smash Cadet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnRLY4qlJhI

around the 2 minute mark he discusses it

I can confirm the endlag on F-tilt and U-tilt are unchanged based on this video. Both have the same duration as in Smash 4.
I'm finally getting to this, also of note in this video, dash attack is the EXACT SAME end lag of 36, at 1:50 in the video he does a dash attack followed by immediate shield and its the same exact frame data as smash 4

also Illusion, definitely starts up 4 or 5 frames later, roughly frame 25 to 29 seems to be illusion hitbox up from 21-25 on smash 4, but on kuroganehammer it sasy the FAF is 70 after illusion, in this video he acts after illusion from the air at around 52 or 53 frames, also illusion seems shorter distance to me. However he does an illusion out of a jump and shields on frame 67 after landing on the ground, up from 70, so maybe you can act quicker out of illusion when coming from off stage. It still seems slightly faster to act out of then smash 4 according to kurogane, especially considering the hitbox starts later. Seems odd.

at 3:55 fox up tilts and shileds immediately afterward. up tilt comes out frame 3 and shield is up at frame 28.. which is the exact same as smash 4, so you are correct, up tilt has NOT been nerfed :)

early on in the video at about 44 seconds fox does a pivot forward tilt followed by immediate up tilt then run afterwards.. forward tilt is still frame 6 and FAF at 24 just like smash 4 and up tilt again is acted on after frame 28 again confirming no changes

Thanks for this, you appear to be correct

so to recap, all of fox's smash attacks, tilts, and dash attack seem to be in tact no changes. His shine is frame 3 up from frame 6, and seems to have a larger hitbox and a better spike in the air like in brawl, better than in smash 4. His illusion starts up later, might be shorter distance, but also might have less landing lag possibly

Also, I believe firefox has less landing lag but not 100% on this, and it also seems to have maybe higher knock back

People's concerns with fox were less combo ability, which seems true with the game changes, but you must remember that also means fox himself will get combo'd less, which could be a neutral change for him

I think fox will be fine after finding out all of his moves werent nerfed like originally feared

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
General
-You can drift after a ledge trump.
-Shield pushback much lower.
-Shield is much worse, much less safe to enter, so more of the game is whiff punishing with movement.
-Grabs slower/laggier worse across the board.
-DI stronger? Hard to be sure.
-I don’t think you get your jump back after a 2 frame.

Fox
JAB - Buffed!
-Now tumbles at 0%, meaning you can set up advantage a bit better. Not enough frame advantage to truly tech chase, but they can be forced to hit a button.
-Can be held for longer without dropping, so you can do around 12% rather than 10%.
-Will fail to connect properly if max range.
-Most chars can roll through it Rapid Jab now, so holding it vs shield is quite unsafe. Rapid Jab Ender is quite unsafe.
-Can’t cancel Jab1 or Jab2 into anything easily, will pretty much always go into the next Jab on hit. Curiously enough (might be placebo), this doesn’t seem to occur on shield, and you can go for Jab12 Grab or Jab12 Jab1 etc.
This is a really important move for Fox in this game. Run up Jab1 is really good as an occasional dissuader, though it’s not a cornerstone of neutral so far (see below). Nair is probably Fox’s best move now though, and it combos into Jabs which sets up frame advantage - the Jab tumbling at 0% is vital.

FTILT
-Pivot FTilt traction massively reduced, didn’t land a single reverse hit but I didn’t try too hard/the lower slide made it harder
I barely used this move as I was mostly just doing run up reverse Up Tilt in its place. Pivot FTilt slide is much, much lower, though.

DTILT - Buffed!
-Sends more vertically now; DI out can kill combos, but it can start vortexes otherwise. https://gfycat.com/AnchoredCreamyCrab
DTilt is pretty useful in this game - there are some cases where you can’t do reverse UTilt due to lower range, so run up DTilt is stronger. DTilt also has lower lag than UTilt (I think) which can make it safer to throw out for that reason. Still not great in neutral as it can be jumped over/whiff punished with grounded movement for free.

UTILT - Changed
-Smaller hitbox: https://puu.sh/B6o6C/5d3d70be83.png
-Less knockback grounded, so UTilt spam is stronger. Is more similar to the aerial Up Tilt KB, so there’s less of a disparity between the two.
-7% now from 9% (may be what causes the KB change)
-Sets up into stuff for a bigger % range.
-Doesn’t combo into Up Air a lot of the time, but it can combo into Nair which can then go back into UTilt. Can also combo Fair. Up Air causes the vortex at some %s too ofc.
-UTilt turnarounds are really important in this game for maximising damage.
-Not enough hitstun to transfer UTilt spam into FTilt, just keep using UTilt until tumble.
-Can do UTilt run UTilt on DI away.
-Slightly more lag.
Overall an amazing move made more amazing by run tilts. Can be used to call out jumps in neutral very sparingly, but in advantage state it makes trapping landings really crazy. Dash Attack got nerfs (see below), so you generally want to UTilt more when you can. The lower knockback is largely a buff in this engine because hitstun isn’t high enough for UTilt Uair to ever really kill unless it’s the aerial UTilt.

DASH ATTACK - Nerfed
-I don’t really have specifics here, but I’m pretty sure Dash Attack has more lag.
-Additionally, it’s much harder to cross up on shield, so it’s a very unsafe move to throw out now.
It’s better at low %s as it can often true into Up Tilt which then goes into itself a lot, but I found it didn’t vortex well at all at mid percentages. The frame advantage is quite low, which makes it hard to really get past people just hitting any button (Marth was Fairing me before I could get even Nair out). That said, it still sets up nice vortexes at higher %, and you can then chase after their airdodges with run Up Tilt.

FSMASH - Buffed!
-MUCH stronger.
-No idea if it hits ledge or not. - Apparently it does!
-I feel a tiny bit more lag on it but it being that much stronger makes up for it imo.
Not much to say, USmash is still a better go-to, but I also wasn’t used to the idea of having FSmash out of a run.

DSMASH - Buffed?
-I think it’s stronger.
-Magnet hands are much worse, making DSmash better by default (I don’t think I missed a single DSmash vs Bowser’s Up B for example).
Good edgeguarding tool, better cuz of worse magnet hands. I killed with this move surprisingly early a decent amount of times, but it’s still not a go-to kind of move.

USMASH - Buffed!
-Bigger range horizontally and vertically (can sweetspot hit on BF platform now). https://gfycat.com/EnlightenedDeadlyGharial
-The removal of JC USmash slide makes it harder to confirm into, but the bigger range helps/
-Can USmash oos without JC, so you skip jumpsquat frames for better punishes.
-I think it's better to use USmash in some combos now - lower hitstun can make it harder to connect other things, and USmash's bigger range makes it connect easier. https://gfycat.com/AgitatedAstonishingIndri
Generally in Ultimate, moves are safe if the punish would require dropping shield, but poorly spaced moves on the front of a shield can get shield grabbed for free due to low shieldstun. As such, USmash is really good for this too, being only 2 frames slower than shield grab with more range, so I got a lot of kills with USmash oos.

NAIR - Holy **** this move
-Lower landing lag 11 -> 7
-I’m not sure exactly what causes it, but I was able to get sweetspot Nair to go into Jab at low % even if the Nair was rising (probably higher BKB).
-Connects into USmash much better (often doesn’t force tech chases).
-Kills a bit earlier.
-Can go into run UTilt/DTilt.
It honestly didn’t receive many changes, but this is an already really good move just pushed over the edge by the engine. The kind of way neutral is played, dash dancing and using this sparingly is really powerful. Can be done rising as a way to dissuade dash-ins and still be pretty safe. Combos absolutely for free now, even late Nair can combo to Jab better (though still won’t at extremely early %). Very important tool as Dash Attack often goes into nothing/isn’t safe to throw out whereas Nair now goes into Jab which sets up some kind of advantage state to get things started.

FAIR - Changed
-Landing lag lowered 27 -> 18
-Damage increased from 7 -> 11 (will be higher in full game).
-Fox goes higher and hovers more from Fair.
-Hovers so high that he can do ledgehop Fair and still AC it onto platforms (may even have time to throw out Nair before landing but I didn’t test extensively)
-As a result, he can’t fast fall to drag down at all if the move is done while rising.
-Can still Fair Spike, but you can’t footstool people in hitstun, so you can’t Fair Footstool people.
-Apparently has a landing hitbox now, but I couldn’t get it much on account of not being able to fast fall. I think it’s pretty similar to how landing Fair worked in Smash 4 though.
I think this is largely a buff to this edition of Fox - his recovery is weaker in this game, so having the ability to rise as far as this sends you is pretty important for avoiding things that force airdodges (Bayo bullets, Din’s Fire etc.). Ledgehop Fair is really insane, it sets up the vortex and, on Battlefield, it can AC then combo into Uair Uair. It’s also just really safe as it sends you so high that it’s hard to cover even when shielded. However, if you do SH Fair, you can’t drag people down. There’s probably a timing to be able to do so, but I didn’t test extensively. This means that you can’t do AC Dair Fair Spike lock/tech chase stuff. Drag down Fair tech chase is really good when you can get it, though. Fair Spike can also gimp people who have no jump pretty well (good for challenging recoveries with no invincibility etc.)

BAIR - Buffed!
-Landing lag lowered from 15 to 9 (???)
-Increased hitbox size for some reason
Yeah no idea why they buffed that. It hits slightly higher vertically now so you can often SH it where you’d normally have to FH - this is good because SHFF Bair gets vortexes started. Overall incredibly strong tool for Fox, dash dance back into AC Bair/landing Bair is really safe, and the generally more aggressive game makes it one of the better buttons Fox has to throw out.

DAIR - Nerfed
-Landing lag decreased from 25 -> 17.
-No longer frame cancels to reduce landing lag on hitting shield/character.
-Smaller hitboxes throughout and on last hit.
Dair felt a decent amount weaker. The lower landing lag is welcome, but it’s comparatively quite high for this game, and still too high to afford to whiff in neutral. The fact it doesn’t frame cancel also makes it higher than Dair hitting a character in Smash 4. Of course, I may be wrong about that, but I’m pretty sure it doesn’t frame cancel. The smaller hitboxes make the move much more likely to whiff during it - I had people fall out of Dair more in Ultimate than my whole Smash 4 career combined. Rising FF Dair pretty much never fully connects, though it seems safe on crossup unless they have some oos option to punish it due to increased shield drop frames. The final massive hit also got outranged a decent amount, though it’s still a good hitbox. AC Dair still combos into Uair, but can’t go into footstool and Fair can’t drag down. You’re best off doing AC Dair Nair Jab into pressure if they DI away, otherwise you can do Uair into the vortex. Pour one out for the hundreds of hours I’ve spent on this ****ty move’s dead footstool followups ;_;

UAIR - Identical
-Landing lag decreased from 22 -> 14
I noticed literally no functional changes with this move. Still autocancels, still combos into itself, still does 16%, still kills. The lower landing lag makes landing Uair more practical for landing punishes, but run UTilt generally does that job anyway/I never did it cuz Smash 4 habits. Uair still amazing as usual, basically.

NEUTRAL B - Buffed, but useless
-Lag decreased
I kept trying to do PP lasers on autopilot so I barely did any. The move is overall worse than Smash 4 though - the game is so fast that you barely have time to use them and they’re not worth when you do.

SIDE B - Slaughtered
-Oh my days where to start
-Good news: you can drift directly after aerial Illusion ends, so you can mixup your angle afterwards.
-Illusion startup nerfed by 5 frames (making it solidly reactable).
-It’s easier to hit Fox out of Illusion when he’s trying to snap to ledge (smaller magnet hands). I also never got my jump back like when you get two framed, but it feels more like you just don’t get your jump back after a two frame.
-stops on shield.
-Travel time is slower (easier to intercept).
-s t o p s o n s h i e l d
-Higher lag + lower hitstun so you can’t combo into Uair.
-it stops. when it hits shield.
-Damage increased when grounded from 3 -> 9 I guess
Illusion is basically just garbage now. Nobody was used to dealing with it properly, but it’s basically unviable off the ledge (loses to shield and they can just press shield on reaction, but also higher lag makes it easier to whiff punish). Illusion onstage is unviable for similar reasons, but it’s also just so slow that there’s no real reason to ever do it. It’s easier to intercept it while recovering, and its slower startup means that more characters have time to just bully Fox without him able to get back to ledge. Still a good recovery option, though.

UP B - Buffed!
-MUCH higher BKB on all of it. We’re talking like it nearly stage spiked to the blastzone at 15% kind of strong.
-Bigger hitbox during the whole move, making it much harder to intercept.
-Due to directional airdodges, trapping an airdodge with Up B for a kill is basically impossible.
-Has massive magnet hands at the end, which is much better than other characters for the most part.
Up B is a really solid recovery option now as beating it out is genuinely quite a risk for the opponent - nearly everyone got stage spiked while attempting to. The magnet hands thing is really important, other characters don’t have that luxury which is another thing that makes it stand out as hard to edgeguard. I didn’t test boomerang or RCO or any of that stuff I’m afraid, it all just slipped my mind.

DOWN B - Changed
-Startup decreased 6 -> 3
-Shine stall only works on the first Shine now
Overall nerfed because hitting people with Shine is still garbage. Terrible move is still terrible, basically.

STANDING GRAB - Nerfed
-FAF increased 29 -> 36 (not 100%)
This grab is still pretty good in the grand scheme of things (all Grabs got nerfed). Range seems about the same, but it was never great anyway. The game is whiff punish heavy, so it’s not great to throw grabs out/approach with grabs imo.

DASH GRAB - Never use this.
-FAF increased 36 -> 45.
Fox gets nothing off throws now (more below) and Dash Grab was always suspect as hell with its super long startup. Now it’s the same but laggier, in a game where RPS stuff at unreactable zones is much less important. Cleanly the worst move on Fox’s kit now, basically useless, go for run standing grab every time.

PIVOT GRAB - idfk
-I think boost pivot grab is gone.
You can’t run through people in Ultimate, so I don’t think I landed a single pivot grab. I imagine it’s probably not a great option for us as there aren’t many situations where we’d want to fade back and get a grab, or use it cover landing with our other tools, but idk.

PUMMEL - Identical
Animation is slower but I could get the same amount of pummels per grab anyway.

DTHROW - Identical, meaning nerfed
Is basically totally unchanged, but lower hitstun means there’s zero followups (I tried DThrow run Jab and other options but nothing worked). You can sometimes get DA to trade or get Bair/Fair to trade if you’re very lucky, but nothing’s true. DI in still gets Uair though.

FTHROW - Identical, meaning buffed
Fox gets a lot started off tech chases in this game - while FThrow doesn’t cause a true tech chase a lot of the time, you can still cover everything except tech in place by running at the opponent and reacting with UTilt at the right time (and then tech in place can be pressured accordingly). FThrow is probably the main throw now.

UTHROW - Identical, meaning nerfed
Lower hitstun lowers the frame advantage on this throw even further, making it very difficult to properly track landings. Still probably better than DThrow.

BTHROW - Nerfed. Yes, nerfed.
-Sends higher and not as far.
If you use this at the edge of a stage, they can damn near just drift back onto the stage it sends them that close. This move is really bad.

OVERALL
The overall movement engine benefits Fox an absolute ton. I played him for I’d say about 9-10 hours in total across two days in 1v1s with no items, and I found that he had to be treated differently to Smash 4 Fox. Smash 4 Fox plays a lot of RPS at burst range, but that’s much less important in this game as foxtrot backwards is such a strong, readily accessible, commitment-free option. Dash Attack is weaker here by default, and our Dash Grab is very bad plus we’ve lost the option of run past Pivot Grab. Instead, I replaced my neutral where I could with dash dancing at the tip of burst range, Nair, Bair and UTilt/Jab. The last two are used very sparingly - the game is whiff punish-based, so it’s not actually super safe to throw them out, but instead they should be used as a way to remind your opponent they’re options to respect. Dash dancing with Nair/Bair is stupidly safe and can be really hard for an opponent to break down. You can also mix in empty hops of course. Neutral with Fox was a blast, though in these very early days it’s hard to know exactly what’s the right or wrong way to play neutral in this game - I’m just saying what I found more success with. Fox mostly feels strong to me because his vortex is so unbelievably dumb. You can basically react to all defensive options besides Attack with options to reset the vortex, and it’s extremely difficult for the opponent to escape. Airdodges have such high lag as well that you can chase an opponent up then still have time to fall and punish due to Fox’s high fall speed - for example, I could do Uair to force an airdodge then still have time to react to their direction/drift with a Nair to USmash for a KO. You can probably cover them buffering Attack really well too, just I wasn’t used to the lower hitstun and kept getting hit by accident. Overall, the group I was with and I all thought Fox was one of the stronger characters in the demo, and has a ton of potential moving forward. I really enjoyed him as well, it felt I could be very expressive with the movement and just keep doing actions, but it was all very freeform and flowed well. Very happy overall!

Lots of footage here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlMmNP-2BD58yekHf0vruqQJoYbkbUpzJ&disable_polymer=true

Will do a video with more thoughts later

Last edited:

DT Raw

Smash Cadet
I mentioned this to you before but thanks again for this. This was legit amazing and makes me feel a lot better about fox in ultimate

Rhus

We're going top speed!
Thank you very much for the overview Skarfelt Skarfelt , that was an excellent video.

Glad to see Fox's movement is still bonkers. I expect his trapping to be an even bigger part of his gameplay now. Really looking forward to how his meta evolves.

PF9

Smash Lord
If the Star Fox games get made into movies, the first movie would be based on Star Fox 64 since it was the first real popular game of the series and fleshed out the story more than the SNES version of it.

The game's main theme should be adapted as the main theme for the film version, in a style reminiscent of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AiSbxZYViE

This theme has all the right elements of what makes a good sci-fi movie theme.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
James McCloud as a Fox echo would be logical and touching. AlphaSSB AlphaSSB really got my idea rolling in my head.
Eyy.

I'm usually not a fan of the 'Echo' clones myself, but James McCloud would be pretty damn cool. He has a lot more potential than just being "Fox with sunglasses", too. The key I see to making him different from Fox would be to essentially make James Melee Fox. He'd use Melee Fox's animations, move properties, etc.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Eyy.

I'm usually not a fan of the 'Echo' clones myself, but James McCloud would be pretty damn cool. He has a lot more potential than just being "Fox with sunglasses", too. The key I see to making him different from Fox would be to essentially make James Melee Fox. He'd use Melee Fox's animations, move properties, etc.
Exactly! That... could work (at least I would try it).

Also, I wondering if I could use some of those icons in your signature for mine. They look nice.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Exactly! That... could work (at least I would try it).

Also, I wondering if I could use some of those icons in your signature for mine. They look nice.
Sure thing. They're all posted in the newcomer stock icons thread. There's a ton of icons though, so just Alt+F to search for the names.

Credit to the artists there. Tons of well-made icons made by plenty of people.

Top Bottom