• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

will final smashes see tournament play?

Dream Chaser

Smash Journeyman
I just read the entire thread.

I dont want to see things banned without being properly tested in tournament situations.
Initially I thought that the final smashes were like a gimmick that takes away from the quality of the game (like mario power tennis). But characters may be balanced with final smashes in mind and hence those that may be weaker and have a powerful FS would be resricted in their ability to fight. The game hasnt even beeen released America (let alone Australia or Europe). More time should be taken into consideration of these matters.

Fake Mofo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-3430-0703
i think that it should be considered an item and that if you put items into competitive play then you take out a little bit of the skill factor and add just a little bit of luck. And we all know that tournys are not about who got lucky and won the tourny, they are about who has the most experience/technical skills. if we start adding luck into the mix we will not be able to tell accurately who is better then who. i just think that all tournys should be based on skill not luck.

Knight-errant

Smash Apprentice
Ide love to see these become available for tournament play and then get a DK player vs an Olimar player... Balance issue with the smashes? No... why would we think that? rofl...

*Insert sarcasm here*

Tournament play IS skill vs skill. If it were bases on randomness or "bad guys getting a gun in a movie" Im sure the smash competition would see an INCREDIBLE decrease in activity. Its not just barrels and crates. Its the fact that "oh this poke ball just landed on your head over on this side of the stage and all you need to do is press a to grab it, while the other player needs to recover, run over, beat you to death so you dont grab it, THEN grab it and use it." Slight difference there? I think so. It makes an equal playing field by taking away items, making players rely on their own abilities rather than lucky *** drops and pressing a single button to instant KO your opponent. Your right this is not melee 2.0 it IS a different game, yet the competative guidlines and rules will still follow. Sure there may be tournaments that dont ban these, and there is your answer. Go to tourneys that allow them if you want them.

Just dont complain when a bomb-om appears in front of you while you charge your forward smash and you lose a game from it. or if someone whores items and just runs from you the entire match til time up. OR when you have someone at 170% damage you are at 0 then all of a sudden he hits a ball, presses b and whamo - your dead. Sounds balanced to me...

Just play the game for yourself, you will see what we mean, final smashes got old quick within the e-for all and 2weeks of play time we have had.
Saying that all you have to do is pick up and item and press a button and you have an "instant KO" is a bit of stretch. If you're playing a one on one match I don't think the one guy will be stupid enough to stand there and let you hit him; you're going to have to combo him into the FS. And if you miss, then you might just be left open to get smacked.

I'm not an item-lover; I mostly play with them off. And I'm not trying to say that matches should be based on "randomness" either, because I agree with you that they should be based on skill. What I am saying is that it's cool to see opponents have to overcome unforeseen obstacles, whether those obstacles be the movement of the stage, an item, or even an FS. It makes the game deeper. That's the reason I made the movie reference: the most interesting fights you get to see aren't when two guys stand there on a flat, wide, open field with only their fists. The most interesting fights are when there's something different about their environment (jumping off walls, looking out for falling rocks, lava, etc) or something different about one of the fighters (he's holding the only weapon; I have to dodge it, wrestle it from him, or find a way around it, etc).

Now I don't know if Final Smashes will necessarily do those things listed above, but the might. All I'm saying is that they should at least be given a chance before people come blaring through saying, "They is items! They need to be turned off! And they is too powerful!" I don't know whether you've played it or not, but at least have some experience with the FS's before you knock them. I know I'm going to at least try them out.

Dark_Meow1

Smash Ace
Knight Errant:: I haven't played the game yet, nor even seen the smashball work honestly. But you lead an interesting yet bad argument.

The key to this whole discussion is skill levels, not ability to entertain the crowd (if only it were that easy ^.^) I kind of get what you are saying, but it does take more skill to win with a specific moveset and rely on that alone.

The only reason I believe Items of any sort, including the smash ball, would be a great addition to competitive play is due to the balance. In melee you had characters countering others and advantages left and right, which I'm sure will unravel itself sooner or later in Brawl. With items, there isn't too much of an advantage with any specific characters but more your reaction time and your speed/technique. So, the real question boils down to:

Are you willing to sacrifice skill based play in tournaments for a more balanced playing field?

just an opinion.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Brawl is going to have a problem Melee didn't really have. Melee rules which are good for Melee that may not necessarily be good for Brawl could be transferred over before people properly give these ideas a chance because they are so set into the Melee style of play. I think the idea of possibly allowing Smash Balls seems like a good one - we should see how it goes - but I don't think it's going to happen because people running tournaments already are banning it and that's how people are going to stay used to it. The discussion won't be as involved as it was with Melee because we have something to work with, unfortunately.

Skler

Smash Master
I like winning close tournament games because a smash ball spawns next to me and I fsmash it with my double hit fsmash and then **** my opponent with my broken FS.

All skill, *****.

-Hoggle-

Smash Journeyman
You can make all the wall of text posts you want but smash balls will never see the light of day in tournaments.

classic zero

Smash Cadet
:::The Issue
Compare SB to other fighting type games (no names)
the super and/or hyper attact is block able or doge able ive seen in some of them
even OHKO's can some how not be so but still do dmg the tru issue i'd say is something
clost to home for melee as reguarding high tier chars falco/fox/marth ect. and posting combo vids or matches on line. the constant flux of ppl swiching chars only b-cuz at the time they are the best ::example ppl see that fox pwns every plays wit fox un till falco players step up there game every moves to falco:: thats no the bad thing here b-cuz the only makes every1 find ways to counter there chars weakness BUT! back to SB's what if theres no options open to you aside from get hit or ... dont then all the game becomes is a good 1v1 then turns in to a camping game stock lost repeat :end result who ever can get the most SB's=lame= smash dies
now i can only come up wit 1 solution that would make it possable to include SB's

:::The Solution
as we curently have ways to counter a stage pick and stage selection so should
it be wit SB's the two(or more players) will be faced with a choice
simple all players must come in to agreement to have SB's in there match.
if no agreement can be meet then no Smash Ball*** in a team it would a majority 3/4th vote.

in not saying in any way Smash Balls {should/should not} be in gameplay im trying to find a middle ground rather than say YES! or NO! SB's like the rest of the crowd

***Note
i thought about a coin flip, drawing straws, ... rock paper siccors (since not every1 may have a quater but every1 must have hands (to play the game) plz tell me your thoughts about that.)

<-- Aftermath

Smash balls should definitely be banned.

At the tournament I just went to smash balls were on as a default, and it was ridiculous. The item frequency settings seem to have no effect on smash balls, either they are off, or they spawn every 20 seconds (every time they were on there'd be a smash ball before the clock hit 5:40 out of 6 minutes). And while it might seem like it only gives a one kill advatage, there were multiple occurrences of someone getting 2 stock with a single FS (one of the most notable was falco getting a landmaster kill, then flying up to the top of the screen when the person was spawning, killing off the top with no way out). As soon as someone gets an FS, either they use it immediately if it's one that doesn't require timing, or they camp until the other person comes into range.

The biggest problem is that it's really a free kill (at least one) for 80% of the characters with no regard to skill. You hit with the FS, there's nothing the opponent can do at that point, people's like Ike's, Marth's, the fox trio, Ganon's, and Sonic's require you to do very little, and once they start, there's nothing you can do except die. With regular kills, you'd have to actively do something, I don't mean technically, but there was never something where you could just start it and be guaranteed a kill easily. Wobbling was the closest, but that is leagues above the difficulty of pulling off and invincible FS that doesn't matter where you start, and on the couple that you have to space, it's unbelievably easy to do so. Of the matches that they were on, almost every kill was by smash ball, with little happening between.

If they only showed up once a match or something, then it could be considered for use, but the fact that they do come up so unbelievably frequently should really exclude them from tournaments.

Enshoku

Smash Lord
in a box of fading memories, and everlasting knowl
the super and/or hyper attact is block able or doge able ive seen in some of them
even OHKO's can some how not be so but still do dmg the tru issue i'd say is something
clost to home for melee as reguarding high tier chars falco/fox/marth ect. and posting combo vids or matches on line. the constant flux of ppl swiching chars only b-cuz at the time they are the best ::example ppl see that fox pwns every plays wit fox un till falco players step up there game every moves to falco:: thats no the bad thing here b-cuz the only makes every1 find ways to counter there chars weakness BUT! back to SB's what if theres no options open to you aside from get hit or ... dont then all the game becomes is a good 1v1 then turns in to a camping game stock lost repeat :end result who ever can get the most SB's=lame= smash dies
now i can only come up wit 1 solution that would make it possable to include SB's

if no agreement can be meet then no Smash Ball*** in a team it would a majority 3/4th vote.

in not saying in any way Smash Balls {should/should not} be in gameplay im trying to find a middle ground rather than say YES! or NO! SB's like the rest of the crowd

***Note
i thought about a coin flip, drawing straws, ... rock paper siccors (since not every1 may have a quater but every1 must have hands (to play the game) plz tell me your thoughts about that.)
just a note: rock paper sissors isn't random, they have professional tournaments for it, and it's pretty easy to pick you opponent's choice...

also: coins aren't 50/50 the heads side is heavier, due to more detail, and bulgyness on it...

Enshoku

Smash Lord
in a box of fading memories, and everlasting knowl

***Note
just a note: rock paper sissors isn't random, they have professional tournaments for it, and it's pretty easy to pick you opponent's choice...

also: coins aren't 50/50 the heads side is heavier, due to more detail, and bulgyness on it...

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Have you seen what falco's fs can do?

LOL LIFT YOU OFF TOP OF STAGE

OOPS YOU RESPAWN?!

LOL DO IT AGAIN

Yeah its broken no it won't see the tournament play

tac0

Smash Journeyman
No way!
It gives you a pity final smash if your down by a certain amount of stock.
That wouldn't be very smart to allow in tournaments.

Miharu

Smash Hero
put them on very low then they won't appear that much
Learn to read.

<-- Aftermath

The item frequency settings seem to have no effect on smash balls, either they are off, or they spawn every 20 seconds (every time they were on there'd be a smash ball before the clock hit 5:40 out of 6 minutes).
Good job trolling.

I like how the majority of your posts are useless one-liners that contribute very little to the actual topic.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Man scrubs are dumb

That might sound elitist, but at least the people that give reasons for banning it make sense and have played competitive before

man scrubs are dumb

KmezzLIGHTNING

Smash Cadet
smash balls are just another item, don't we know why items aren't used?

I can assure u that if I'm sonic and smash balls are on, there's no competing. Sonic will get to it first AND KO you with it at least once.

I'd like to see tournaments with smash balls, though, it isn't fair.

Mailman

Smash Rookie
Maybe there should be split tournaments: with and without final smash on, it's not that hard to figure out...

But if I had to choose, I would leave them on. Yes, it's deadly, when hit. I have seen Marth's Final Smash, it's dangerous, but only to the range of the closest character facing him and only other enemies extremely close by. However, Olimar's on the other hand basically KO's everyone playing but I belive his unorthodox style balances this out. What I'm trying to say is, I think what balances the characters' Final Smashes is the character. Now the teir list is not my favorite thing, but some of the characters are notably faster or stronger than others, and I think the Final Smash balances that out, to an extent.

Don't hate on me so much, it's my first real post, I'm just saying what I've seen and think.

Miharu

Smash Hero
Maybe there should be split tournaments: with and without final smash on, it's not that hard to figure out...

But if I had to choose, I would leave them on. Yes, it's deadly, when hit. I have seen Marth's Final Smash, it's dangerous, but only to the range of the closest character facing him and only other enemies extremely close by. However, Olimar's on the other hand basically KO's everyone playing but I belive his unorthodox style balances this out. What I'm trying to say is, I think what balances the characters' Final Smashes is the character. Now the teir list is not my favorite thing, but some of the characters are notably faster or stronger than others, and I think the Final Smash balances that out, to an extent.

Don't hate on me so much, it's my first real post, I'm just saying what I've seen and think.
The main problem is that once you get the smash ball, all you have to press one button, and your opponent may die multiple times.

Considering there will at most be 4 stocks per match, that's imbalanced.

Mailman

Smash Rookie
Hmm...I see, then I'll just go with my original(probably not THAT original) thought: split the tournaments have some with FS and some without. But that's really up to those who make up the tournaments.

Charzonsos

Smash Cadet
Red has advantage over Final Smashes due to the invincability frames when he switches Pokemon.

Top Bottom