• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Brawl outsell Halo 3 ?

Magnacor

Smash Ace
also to make it more interesting see how many of those games aren't shooters that are practically the same as another on the list
I almost put that, but I wanted to give them a fighting chance.

Oh well congratulations on not realizing that most people aren't like you. I already said this. MOST people prefer Halo to Smash. That will reflect on game sales.
I know I'm in the minority on this one and that (fanboyism alert) no matter how much better Smash is then Halo, Halo will still have sold more copies then Brawl for at least a year or two, but that was not my point. My point was that there are more features that will take a while to get bored of.

Slightly better? Slightly? Ha!

Either way, your arguements are weak in that the two games are completely different genre. Brawl having more "levels" or stages mean nothing. I dont think you have a grasp of how big Halo's levels are compared to Brawl's stages. Weapons? Items in Smash suck. At least you have diversity in Halo's weapons. (of course, this is from my point of view. There's no real winner here.) Unless you're really bad at the game, you're probably going to unlock everything in three months. Once that happens, true gameplay is going to be the driving force, and once again, most people like Halo over Smash.

For you and me, yes. For the general public, no.
I already went back and said that Halo's online will pwn Brawl's and that, that was my fanboyism shining through. I wasn't saying that Smash was better because it has more stages, characters, and items. I was saying that Smash has enough features to make it so that the matches are never too similar and make it so that the game would last longer before you got bored. Eventually people will tire of using the same weapons to kill people time and time again. Of course, this is merely my opinion so feel free to not listen to me at all.

products

Smash Rookie
First week sales, no way Brawl could beat Halo 3. On the other hand, overtime Brawl could definitely surpass Halo 3's sales if the Wii does as well as its doing now.

PyroRyuken

Smash Ace
Well, since Halo 2 already had everyone into it through its online play it was already quite popular right up until Halo 3 came out. So many copies of Halo 3 were bought in one day. Melee is popular, but since it is not online like Halo 2 was, there were many people who like the game but put it down after a while. I myself put it down after a while and came back to it after meeting some pros and getting into it again. I'm not sure if Brawl will beat Halo 3 in the amount sold but it will do really well.

Arteen

Smash Lord
First week sales, no way Brawl could beat Halo 3. On the other hand, overtime Brawl could definitely surpass Halo 3's sales if the Wii does as well as its doing now.
Other than "why does it matter?," this is all that needs to be said.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
You guys have to remember, that even though here have been a litte bit more Wii's sold than 360's, the Wii games are not very popular. There are only a few half decent games for Wii, while 360 owners have t TON of blockbuster games. Aside from the Wii Sports and Play (which is only purchased for the controller, duh) Zelda is the best selling game, at like 3 million or something in a year. Gears of War, Halo 3, Oblivion, etc are still there to match that or break it.

Even though Wii games can sell and be terrible at the same time, Brawl can't match Halo 3. ( We all know Marip Party 17 will still be as terrible as 3-8, but will still sell) Sure Brawl wil be better than Halo, but it has a smaller fanbase and isn't as popular.

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
i believe brawl will beat the record, for many reasons like...

-dojo is making too much hype up, maybe their strategy is do many let-down updates on purpose so when they announce a character there will be a huge amount of hype (maybe they just have been working on large projects so while they have nothing to announce for us yet they announce something we already know to keep up their weekday dojo update)

- wii's been out a year less than x 360 and have already over 1 million more sales, i mean, wiis are hard *** to find and amazon sold tons (4000 wiis on 10 minutes or something) of wiis for 300 brithish pounce

- its a game that everybody wants, mainly smash bros fans, but also mario, zelda, kirby, etc fans could buy it as soon as they see the game in a game shop with their favorite character on its cover

- very popular 3rd party characters

- as far as i know, i dont see any huge halo 3 community as this one... i might be wrong

- this spring break i was at florida, stepped by a video game shop (gamespot or something) with my little bro to see if they had wiis on sale, after the shop guy told me he had no wiis, he asked me if i wanted to pre-order a smash brawl for december... i was like, no thanks, we wont be here on december (i dont live at FL)... costed 10$ to reserve and the shop had over 100 pre-orders already

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
i believe brawl will beat the record, for many reasons like...

-dojo is making too much hype up, maybe their strategy is do many let-down updates on purpose so when they announce a character there will be a huge amount of hype (maybe they just have been working on large projects so while they have nothing to announce for us yet they announce something we already know to keep up their weekday dojo update)

- wii's been out a year less than x 360 and have already over 1 million more sales, i mean, wiis are hard *** to find and amazon sold tons (4000 wiis on 10 minutes or something) of wiis for 300 brithish pounce

- its a game that everybody wants, mainly smash bros fans, but also mario, zelda, kirby, etc fans could buy it as soon as they see the game in a game shop with their favorite character on its cover

- very popular 3rd party characters

- as far as i know, i dont see any huge halo 3 community as this one... i might be wrong

- this spring break i was at florida, stepped by a video game shop (gamespot or something) with my little bro to see if they had wiis on sale, after the shop guy told me he had no wiis, he asked me if i wanted to pre-order a smash brawl for december... i was like, no thanks, we wont be here on december (i dont live at FL)... costed 10$ to reserve and the shop had over 100 pre-orders already
- True, Wii's are selling better and harder to fine. But that doesn't have much to do with the games.
- Halo 3 was hyped more. I couldn't play Gears of War for 3 minutes without hearing the entire room going nuts over Halo 3 coming out in 9 months. I was one of the few that doesn't like Halo and was really sick of hearing about it.
- Halo 3 has a MUCH larger fanbase than Brawl.
- People will probably be turned off to Brawl because of the bad online.

The 2nd and 3rd point are the main reasons Brawl won't be able to come close to Halo 3's.

I kind of doubt the truth of your gamestop experience. For one, THERE WAS NO RELEASE DATE DURING SPRING BREAK. And 2nd, the two Gamestops near my house both were unable to have reserves for Brawl at the end of July, which was like 2 weeks after the December 3rd announcement. I reserved Brawl in begining-mid November and they said they had about 60 reservations so far. Even after I found out the December 3rd date, I wanted to reserve it, and they said they aren't taking any reservations until after the company itself (them) recieves like an official shipment date.

Cless

Smash Champion
I was able to preorder brawl as soon as I heard about the release. I have no idea how long ago that was though.

Cless

Smash Champion
I was talking about the December release, but I dunno when I actually heard about the December release though. I guess sometime in July, I've had Brawl reserved for forever.

Spellman

Smash Ace
People will probably be turned off to Brawl because of the bad online.
Oh maybe if someone does research on it, but when impulse buyers who are looking for a game for their Wii to play on the internet see: "Game Experience May Change During Online Play" on the cover, they may buy it anyways. They don't have to go into details about what the service is offering on the cover.

That being said, most people do plenty of research on the web before they make their purchases. However, by the sounds of things, people are assuming that there will be a lot of noobs who can't play the game (that's what everybody is afraid of facing online) and 8 year olds (also afraid), which translates to idiots stupid ignorant new people and moms who have no knowledge of the product that they are buying.

Not that anyone is an idiot for buying Smash Bros. We's genius's's! :laugh:

courte

Smash Lord
Brawl will not sell half of what Halo 3 did. End topic.
now do you mean on the first day or over time
i can imagine brawl being a melee repeat in sales records in that long after the game comes out, it continues to be on the top of charts

the only for true fact about about your statement would be the lack of wii's available, but if i didn't have one i'd still go and buy this game and all the extra copies i have reserved:chuckle:

YoungGanondorf

Smash Rookie
There's no doubt in my mind that brawl will outsell Halo 3 because:

GameCube sold terribly: 6 million SSBM games sold.
Xbox sold better: 8 million Halo 2 games sold.

Wii has (last time I checked) outsold the Xbox360 and is continuing to sell rapidly. SSBB is as much of a must own title for the Wii as Halo 3 is for the 360, so therefore, if not on the first day, then over time, Brawl will sell better, if only because there are more Wii's. (data from Wikipedia)

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
Is there anyone in this thread who knows about advertising or hype? Anyone?

Because I'd love for someone else to realize that the amount of Wiis sold (and the sales are almost the same) is totally irrelevant if people don't buy the game anyways due to lack of knowledge. Which, amazingly enough, happens all the time even with Nintendo's high-profile games.

Look at Galaxy.

YoungGanondorf

Smash Rookie
Is there anyone in this thread who knows about advertising or hype? Anyone?

Because I'd love for someone else to realize that the amount of Wiis sold (and the sales are almost the same) is totally irrelevant if people don't buy the game anyways due to lack of knowledge. Which, amazingly enough, happens all the time even with Nintendo's high-profile games.

Look at Galaxy.
Look at the Brawl box art. How could you see that and not buy the game?

Cless

Smash Champion
Because not everyone goes all over the internet looking for information, or goes to Gamestop every week. You know, the demographic that the Nintendo is trying to reach with the Wii.

YoungGanondorf

Smash Rookie
Anyway, it's not like Halo 3 wouldn't have sold if they didn't run any commercials. And with a game series like Smash that's been out since 1999 and was the best-selling game on GameCube, how much advertising do you really need? The hype will spread on it's own. How much did they advertise Melee? I don't remember much of anything.

jay~B

Smash Journeyman
EDreams this is for you

Why do u keep quoting people on my thread, if u simply don't agree with the opinion that Brawl will outsell halo 3 then just stop coming back, u have clearly made ur point. Let others agree to disagree.

Really, why are you still here?

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
Anyway, it's not like Halo 3 wouldn't have sold if they didn't run any commercials. And with a game series like Smash that's been out since 1999 and was the best-selling game on GameCube, how much advertising do you really need? The hype will spread on it's own. How much did they advertise Melee? I don't remember much of anything.
You may have forgotten, but Halo 1 destroyed Melee's sales even though they were released two weeks apart. Before Halo was a household name, before the Xbox was big, before it was really hyped.

Halo 3 also sold nearly as many copies in two weeks as Melee did in it's entire lifetime. And hype won't spread if people don't buy it in the first place and talk about it.

And Mario has been around for 20 years and is also a household name, like Halo but unlike Melee. Galaxy is still pretty much struggling.

EDreams this is for you

Why do u keep quoting people on my thread, if u simply don't agree with the opinion that Brawl will outsell halo 3 then just stop coming back, u have clearly made ur point. Let others agree to disagree.

Because there are all kinds of misconceptions and non-facts in this thread that I think need to be addressed, so people don't think Brawl is some kind of unstoppable Halo killing juggernaut.

Halo 3 has it's world record status for a reason... I just can't believe people think Brawl can touch it.

YoungGanondorf

Smash Rookie
You may have forgotten, but Halo 1 destroyed Melee's sales even though they were released two weeks apart. Before Halo was a household name, before the Xbox was big, before it was really hyped.

Halo 3 also sold nearly as many copies in two weeks as Melee did in it's entire lifetime. And hype won't spread if people don't buy it in the first place and talk about it.

And Mario has been around for 20 years and is also a household name, like Halo but unlike Melee. Galaxy is still pretty much struggling.

Because there are all kinds of misconceptions and non-facts in this thread that I think need to be addressed, so people don't think Brawl is some kind of unstoppable Halo killing juggernaut.

Halo 3 has it's world record status for a reason... I just can't believe people think Brawl can touch it.
Dude, what are you talking about? SSBM = 6 million copies. Halo 1 = 5 million copies (wikipedia). Clearly, you were planted by Bill Gates to piss us off.

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
halo 3 sold more copies in one day than anything has ever sold
No thats not true at all.

http://vgchartz.com/worldtotals.php

I think that brawl will out sell halo 3 in its life time, it has much better legs than Halo 3 ever will. The question is whether or not it will take a year or so for it to happen.

Smash has a huge following, but the game's simple appeal applies to a lot of people. Also, more Wiis have been sold world wide than X360s, and nintendo will probably have more wiis in NA by the time brawl comes out. Its difficult to say but I think by the summer of 08 there will be more copies of brawl out than halo3

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
Dude, what are you talking about? SSBM = 6 million copies. Halo 1 = 5 million copies (wikipedia). Clearly, you were planted by Bill Gates to piss us off.
Huh. Guess I was wrong about Halo 1 destroying Melee, at least. I don't claim perfection.

I still doubt that will somehow cause Brawl to break the record Halo 3 set, but thanks for the correction.

No thats not true at all.
"According to Microsoft, first-day sales of Halo 3 reached $170 million in the U.S., setting the record for highest gross of an entertainment product within 24 hours of its release."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_3#Sales

I've already pointed this out, as well as the US part of that sentence, multiple times. VGchartz isn't a reliable website.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
EDreams this is for you

Wow, there's actually another guy in a different thread who did the same thing. He's the original poster also, and referes to the thread as "my thread" too. lol, just because you create the topic doesn''t give you any right to dictate what goes on in it. If I create a thread, you have as much say so as I do in it.

When will everyone learn that the "bets seller on GC" argument does not prove anything? You know I can go right back and say that Halo 2 was the best selling game on Xbox. I can also add that it was out for half as long as Melee, and sold 125% of the copies that Melee did.

seeing as how melee almost kept up with Halo 1, it's very much possible.
Halo 3 has already matched Halo 1. Not to mention, Halo 3 has only been out a few months and has tons of incredible games on it's system as alternatives. GC had a terrible library, and that added to why Melee sold better, because there was n't much alternatives to play.

5 millon in 2 weeks, even with the fact that it's system has great alternatives to play instead VS 6 million copies in 6 years, with no real alternatives to play instead, resulting in an impulse buy.

They always ran that comercial of two Samurai-type warriors fighting inside a giant cube inside some place, and showed Melee gamelay on the walls. That's the only commercial I remember, but they ran it a lot.

Wii has (last time I checked) outsold the Xbox360 and is continuing to sell rapidly. SSBB is as much of a must own title for the Wii as Halo 3 is for the 360, so therefore, if not on the first day, then over time, Brawl will sell better, if only because there are more Wii's. (data from Wikipedia)
You're forgetting the fact that 360's games sell better. The amount of systems bought don't reflect individual game sales as directly as you think. Besides Sports(bundled) and Play( bought only for the Wiimote), Zelda is the best selling game, with only 1/4 of Wii owners buying it.

courte

Smash Lord
well in america it will sell well thanks to kids with older siblings like us filling them in if they havent played before and from the last generation(GC, not humans) i know a lot of young ones who simply played it for fun, and then after learning a little more and more, actually care about brawl, for the love of more characters

the american market is one that is saturated and in love with the fps by majority, on top of that arcades are a dying breed, so when the though of fighting game comes to mind, most people dont even think twice. brawl is in that category, but within a subdivision all its own. i personally am no major fan of halo. sometimes i'd play the game and feel completely ********, i guess i can blame years of fighting games and melee--i tend to wanna get close and personal all the time and melee to death, when on the top screen my cousin is simply sitting around with the sniper--but in brawl it sort of levels the playing field in some respects for all players

plus seeing as how it WAS due for holiday release but was pushed back, i'd figure quite a few moms and etc would guess, it's gotta be getting better for my kid

UberBob

Smash Apprentice
Brawl (or nintendo in particular) doesn't have as much hardcore fans as Halo who will get brawl on the 1st day . But brawl might eventually outsell Halo 3 after a year or two.

courte

Smash Lord
You're forgetting the fact that 360's games sell better. The amount of systems bought don't reflect individual game sales as directly as you think. Besides Sports(bundled) and Play( bought only for the Wiimote), Zelda is the best selling game, with only 1/4 of Wii owners buying it.
are you taking into account the "new wave" of buying games?? i'd be interested in seeing how the two consoles online downloads stack up against each other

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
are you taking into account the "new wave" of buying games?? i'd be interested in seeing how the two consoles online downloads stack up against each other
No, but thanks for adding to my argument, because XBL arcade games more than triple VC games in downloads.

courte

Smash Lord
No, but thanks for adding to my argument, because XBL arcade games more than triple VC games in downloads.
hmm... VIVA LA NINTENDO!! VIVA LA BRAWL!!

i guess at this point, people have become so used to being b i t c h e d around by microsoft, they have no problem giving their money away:chuckle:

i actually no someone that bought vampire rain-REALLY honestly they really did-sure halo 3 may outsell brawl maybe the other way around, one thing is clear; it will likely end up a hollow victory for any side as the people clearly don't really know what theyre getting themselves into as bad games are still constantly being made and bought

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Anyone who says Brawl wont outsell Halo3 is thinking inside the box.Think of the Japanese (who dont really play halo at all)will all be buying brawl.Id say it ill do better in Europe too.But not america you guys are crazy for Gaylo.We'll see anyways.Brawl will creep up on Halo like a drunk hooker in a small,dark alley.

Chi's finest is also forgetting the year or so the 360 has on the wii.Plus the fact that some of the best VC games have yet to show their faces.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Anyone who says Brawl wont outsell Halo3 is thinking inside the box.Think of the Japanese (who dont really play halo at all)will all be buying brawl.Id say it ill do better in Europe too.But not america you guys are crazy for Gaylo.We'll see anyways.Brawl will creep up on Halo like a drunk hooker in a small,dark alley.

Chi's finest is also forgetting the year or so the 360 has on the wii.Plus the fact that some of the best VC games have yet to show their faces.
Ok, let's do the math on that then.

XBL Arcade games = out for twice as long
XBL Arcade games = More than triple downloads

They still sell at a better rate.

Brawl's worldwide totals won't even touch Halo 3's in NA only.

Just because we don't think that Brawl is the most hyped game in history and every person on earth will buy it does not mean we are brainwshed, or worship Bill Gates even though he's the devil or something. It's just that we can put our biases aside to think realisticly

I love Smash and dislike Halo. I can still admit that Smash won't sell as well as Halo 3

EDIT: Wow, I typo a lot.

Cless

Smash Champion
Will you people show me where you are getting your system sales figures? I'm seeing a lot of stuff with no links.

Top Bottom