• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

finalark

SNORLAX
I kinda wish Nintendo waited and produced a better technologically advanced system.

I like the tablet and everything, but Sony is probably going to produce something that'll blow the wii-u out of the water

Microsoft will probably produce a piece of junk
So... the last two gens in a row?

EDIT: Also, good going Nintendo for removing something as basic as backwards compatibility. Although its more likely that they did it to raise the demand for downloadable GC games on the Wii U knowing this age of corporate BS.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
So... the last two gens in a row?

EDIT: Also, good going Nintendo for removing something as basic as backwards compatibility. Although its more likely that they did it to raise the demand for downloadable GC games on the Wii U knowing this age of corporate BS.
If I'm not mistaken, consoles that are backward compatible by two generations are not the norm. It's unfair to frame that as a "lol Nintendo ****s up again" scenario imo.

unless you are referring to the new Wiis getting rid of the GC compatibility. in which case, yeah, what the ****.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Yeah, and if Nintendo plans to do that on the rumored 3DS as well then it will be even more ****** up if it does, I honestly wouldn't even be surprised by neither Sony or Nintendo anymore pulling such things in order to "stretch their dollar" even further.

:phone:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Given Sony's reputation to copy Nintendo at times, I think they are gonna sit back and wait to see how successful this tablet thing is. If it's a good thing, I expect something similar in their next line of consoles. If it fails, they will probably have Kevin Butler do a commercial where he ****s on tablets.

Speaking of the competition.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1210280p1.html

UberMario

Smash Master
If it is so basic, why do the PS3 and Xbox 360 have such a hard time pulling it off?

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
In this age of digital distribution and the easy to take advantage of consumer, it seems to be more business wise not to include backwards compatibility and rerelease "HD" collections and downloadable versions of older games.

It's a sad but true fact of today's industry. Look to Steam for an example - Doom 3, a 2004 game, is being sold for $20 still as a DL. Meanwhile I can find a physical copy for $10 online elsewhere.

There's also the fact that it takes a different set of hardware to do BC, from what I understand. That adds costs to the production of the consoles.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
THey should start making later models of the same system not have compatibility with earlier games in the system and require you to buy new versions of them

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I believe that was because of it's price and that it couldn't play PSP games, only downloadable PSN games.

OmegaXXII

Oh..****, are you telling me the PSP GO isn't backwards compatible?

Ah ****! :urg:

It's business for all these corporate giants to take advantage of the consumer by not including backwards compatibility on their consoles and rereleasing everything instead, makes me wonder why Nintendo is going to include backwards compatability with the Wii-U.

finalark

SNORLAX
unless you are referring to the new Wiis getting rid of the GC compatibility. in which case, yeah, what the ****.
I meant this. Seriously, Wii are just two GCs ductaped together. There should be no reason why Nintendo got rid of backwards compatibility.

In this age of digital distribution and the easy to take advantage of consumer, it seems to be more business wise not to include backwards compatibility and rerelease "HD" collections and downloadable versions of older games.

It's a sad but true fact of today's industry. Look to Steam for an example - Doom 3, a 2004 game, is being sold for $20 still as a DL. Meanwhile I can find a physical copy for $10 online elsewhere.

There's also the fact that it takes a different set of hardware to do BC, from what I understand. That adds costs to the production of the consoles.
Exactly. Its business. Not only does it cost more to add in backwards compatibility, but from a business standpoint it makes more sense to force your costumers to rebuy old games since your new console can't play their old copy.

I miss when corporate BS wasn't so apparent.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I don't expect The Wii U to be able to play GC games just as much I don't expect PS4 and 720 to play PS2 or before games.

With that being said, I think it would be pretty sweet if the PS4 could somehow play Vita games.

finalark

SNORLAX
I don't expect The Wii U to be able to play GC games just as much I don't expect PS4 and 720 to play PS2 or before games.
Ironically, the PS3 is a boss at playing PS1 games.

With that being said, I think it would be pretty sweet if the PS4 could somehow play Vita games.
I second that. I'd love to play Vita games without dealing with the terribad battery life.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I just think it would be neat that you play a Vita game on your PS4, then you are gonna go on a road trip or some long drive...hey, I'll put that data onto my Vita and play it on the go. On paper it sounds really neat, but application wise, not sure how it would affect sales.

UberMario

Smash Master
Oh..****, are you telling me the PSP GO isn't backwards compatible?

Ah ****! :urg:

It's business for all these corporate giants to take advantage of the consumer by not including backwards compatibility on their consoles and rereleasing everything instead, makes me wonder why Nintendo is going to include backwards compatability with the Wii-U.

It's not even backwards compatibility when it comes to the PSP GO. It's a PSP that can't play PSP discs.

I think what is going to happen is that the Wii is going to be the new PS2. The latter is still being made and has new games every month, even though it is 11 years old and the weakest of the console systems still being produced. The Wii U will have GC games on the Virtual Console (I don't know how that is going to work controller-wise, hopefully they have something equivalent to the Wavebird planned out), so taking out the GC-compatibility in the Wii will make it more likely for new customers to purchase the Wii U (or both). If people are reluctant to purchase the Wii U due to price, there will still be the cheap Wii and a lineup of Wii games that people will still consistently purchase.

That is the only reason that I can think of where removing the GC functionality in the Wii makes any sense.

D

Deleted member

I'm really hoping the price of the Wii-U is $300. Since it's barely more powerful then the PS3 or 360, it would be a nice price.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
barely more powerful then the PS3 or 360
That is false, don't believe everything that is fed to you.

Wait until we get to see genuine tech demos and gameplay footage before passing judgement.

And if that were so. I'm glad it is. I don't care to see better graphics. Improved framrates. Increased processing power. All of that is garbage as what we have even now can suffice.

I care for gameplay. And from what Nintendo is telling us, the console looks to mix it up. I am excited to see what new aspects of gameplay can be derived from this change in controls.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Agreed. We know too little to make a truly good judgement of the system.

Besides graphics aren't everything. :rolleyes:

Also here's a good article I found: Is the Media trying to kill Nintendo?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I would laugh if that happened. But then feel sad since my Wii is broken. :(

Still it does have MAJOR competition this year so I'd be surprised if it did win.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
EDGE already gave it a 10/10. Nintendo Magazine gave it a 9.5. I think it will beat out Batman, but compete with Skyrim and Uncharted.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Zelda has to compete with Uncharted 3 as far as reviews are concerned. Uncharted has been getting 9s and 10s all over the place.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
It's hard to figure out how critics define GOTY. What I DO know is they don't define it by sales, given Uncharted 2 winning it two years ago and Gamestop awarding their GOTY to Demon's Souls.

I think it comes down to review scores and the game's intangible factors (For Uncharted 3, it's the cinematic approach, where as Batman is a great comic book game.)

While I have not played Uncharted 3, I have been playing the MP beta, and if the overall shooting mechanics are like that in single player, I would tack off half a point. Not asking for it to be BF3 or CoD quality, but it's still a bit meh.

After logging in about 100 hours of Dark Souls, I can say it won't be GOTY despite it being the only game I plan on buying this year.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Okay. Why?

And boredone: what do you mean by "critics"? is there actually an official vote for GOTY from all game journalists/critics somewhere?
Well, by critics, I did mean reviewers.

Each game review site offers their own GOTY. However, I think the big one is the VGA awards that is shown on Spike TV since 2003. It's essentially the Grammys/Oscar for video games + they make big announcements (Mass Effect 3 was announced last year on the VGA awards.) The last two years, the GOTY has gone to Red Dead and Uncharted 2.

I'm not sure who's responsible for deciding the VGA awards, but it's definitely the most publicized.

Edit: Nvm, VGA awards maybe the most publicized, but the awards are given via voting online. Makes sense how GTA 4 and GTA San Adreas would be GOTY. At the same time, the fact Uncharted 2 won confuses me even more given it wasn't even that popular until it won it.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Lol true. Though now that I check the UC2 wiki, it does say it won GOTY from several other sites including Kotaku, Gameinformer, IGN, and Joystiq. I guess that would do more than enough to have you publicized.

finalark

SNORLAX
Reviews are a joke. Any big-name title is guaranteed an 9 while anything else with be handed much less favorable scores.

On top of that, they all used the 1-10 scale which is BS imo because an 8 ends up being an average game while a 6 is ****astic.

OmegaXXII

I haven't watched any VGA's in years, probably because a bunch of "overrated" games are reviewed instead of the better, lesser known ones.

I for one cannot for Dragon Quest X which will be based on MMORPG as stated, this will definetly be my first MMO and I am willing to play it due to me already being a big Dragon Quest fan, it might not be as bad as the more traditional style I guess.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Reviews are a joke. Any big-name title is guaranteed an 9 while anything else with be handed much less favorable scores.

On top of that, they all used the 1-10 scale which is BS imo because an 8 ends up being an average game while a 6 is ****astic.
Black Ops got a 8.5. Duke Nukem got a 5. Madden got an 8. FF14 got an 8. DC Online got an 8. Just go on Metacritic and you will see the average scores for a bunch of triple A titles that got below a 9.

But the reason these games do get a 9 is because they are deserving. Zelda, Mario, Uncharted, Batman...they are all deserving.

But yeah, I agree with you on the scale. What would you propose then? A letter system? A "star" system? Or simply a "fun factor" system?

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I would prefer all reviewers die off into the abyss and stop ramming their opinions into the minds of the little folk who will only glance at their numbers and determine whether a game is worth playing based of the number alone.

They know just how much their numbers can sway the market and it makes me sick.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Word of mouth has always been a good method to pushing sales.

And if games were cheaper, folks would have less to worry about when spending money "blindly."

Stores should also provide a Try before you Buy feature. Gamecrazy used to do it. Not only does that help draw the player it, but potential customers get to watch the game as well and determine their purchase.

Top Bottom