• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

TGM

Smash Lord
again, it's not HDTVs in 2009, but digital signals, which can be interpreted by an SDTV. so lag isn't a problem.
yes but HDTvs will be 90% of what will be in stores. so its basicly forcing you to go HD, which isnt bad.

heck, even right now(houston,tx) i see 10 regular tvs and about 40 HDs in bestbuy,Frys,C-city, and walmart. in another year to year and a alf.....almost total HD.

Sensai

Smash Master
@ CHAOSDRAGON88: Saying I wanted to talk to a pedophile was clearly a joke. Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you.

Also, the poor support of 3rd party games is Nintendo's fault because they're unwilling to help them. They're notoriously mean to them and seldom offer any amount of help.

@ ChRed: Small kids are stupid, yet they're intelligent enough to navigate to a website that contains FC, write them down and add them into each individual game? Seems like a stretch. Also, I like the idea of a parental control. In fact, if they were REALLY serious about this whole save Johnny B. Good ****, they could have each game come with the PC on and then have the parents (or the gamers) disable them in the options.

@ TGM:
TGM said:
Nintendo as a whole is doing many times better than any other console company.
You're right; they're selling more consoles and they're actually making a profit on the units they sell. But that doesn't mean that all's going to be good for them the entire race; we're in the first little leg of the race, not the final stretch.
TGM said:
1. TOTALY new way to play(push,pull,tilt,turn,slash,aim,shake)
3. TOTALY new games(some are sheer garbage=red steel and others)
4. Compared to the other consoles, its price is epic. Price DOES matter for parents who just want to get ther kid a video game system.
5. Easy to learn for older folk(ive seen this at my GFs nursing home) and children, yet it keeps more harder core players interested(metroid prime3,Loz:TW,mario kart,Resident evil....ect).
6. Easier if not the same to develop for as the GCN was(lower development costs as well).
1. Which gets old, as everything does. Yes, it's a viable control scheme. Now, make some great games with it. The control scheme does not a great console make.
You completely skipped number 2...
3. C'mon, I'm as huge a Nintendo fan as they come, but NEW? Mario, Zelda, Metroid...it's not the new **** we want. It's the old classics that we want. Yes, they're good, but it doesn't mean they can disregard 3rd parties.
4. No disagreements here.
5. Some games for the hardcore crowd. But you can't honestly say that it's as good for the 'hardcore' then, say, the 360. Not with a straight face.
6. No arguements here, either.

That's it. I'm done.

TGM

Smash Lord
@ TGM:You're right; they're selling more consoles and they're actually making a profit on the units they sell. But that doesn't mean that all's going to be good for them the entire race; we're in the first little leg of the race, not the final stretch.

1. Which gets old, as everything does. Yes, it's a viable control scheme. Now, make some great games with it. The control scheme does not a great console make.
You completely skipped number 2...
3. C'mon, I'm as huge a Nintendo fan as they come, but NEW? Mario, Zelda, Metroid...it's not the new **** we want. It's the old classics that we want. Yes, they're good, but it doesn't mean they can disregard 3rd parties.
4. No disagreements here.
5. Some games for the hardcore crowd. But you can't honestly say that it's as good for the 'hardcore' then, say, the 360. Not with a straight face.
6. No arguements here, either.

That's it. I'm done.
yea number 2 was something like "TGM combo is godly", so i left it out. it was dumb.

The controls will get old.........but not as fast because only ONE console offers this control scheme. if all of the big 3 did it....it would get old in a heart beat.

Does the wii have lasting appeal? i think so. it would not have shattered as many records as it has if it was a fad or gimmick. Will the popularity slow down greatly? yes, every system does. but i believe that nintendo will dish out some more heavy hitters to keep the surge going as long as it can. Titles like mario kart and a TRUE wii zelda,,,,,just to name a few.

3rd parties dig thier own grave(in all honesty, they really do). They do not make titles that are worth buying on the wii(when they make exclusives like SC:legends, it turns out to be horrible...no wonder they do bad). The only one that is truly doing great is GH3. dont blame nintendo all for this one, is partly the 3rd parties too.

Now for hardcore games. I guess this depends on the person. Some say sequels are hard core. some say blood and guts make it hard core. some people claim there too old for nintendo so that means nintendo doesnt make hardcore games for them anymore(one of the mods who post alot here is this way). In my opinion, "hardcore games" are the games that got the system kicking ***. Example: Halo(or shooters) got xbox rollling(dont deny it)! Mario,metroid,zelda got nintendo wrecking! RPGs got sony ****-ing. so when the console makers bust out games in that area, i consider it hard core because its what the majority of the console owners have. The original "hardcore" games were the fighters(SF and others) in arcades but i guess things change over time depending what genre.

and for the record, plz dont take ANYTHING i said just now offensivly. im just busting out with my opinions. no insults or anything is aimed at you.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
sensai said:
Small kids are stupid, yet they're intelligent enough to navigate to a website that contains FC, write them down and add them into each individual game? Seems like a stretch. Also, I like the idea of a parental control. In fact, if they were REALLY serious about this whole save Johnny B. Good ****, they could have each game come with the PC on and then have the parents (or the gamers) disable them in the options.
It's a different type of intelligence. I don't mean they're unintelligent, I just mean they make bad decisions. They have bad judgement is the best way of putting it. Which is why pedophiles get them lol.

Games can use Miis, so it's not a stretch to give 3rd parties a way to access parental controls, and have a piece of data that says if voice chat is available or not. It would be very easy to do. Course, people would argue that some parents don't monitor or use parental control, in which case it's the parents ****ing fault, but some idiots (ie jack thompson) won't listen to reason. "Parents shouldn't have to monitor game content, we should just eliminate that content" is basically what all of them are screaming. Which is plain idiotic to the 999th degree.

Sensai

Smash Master
@ ChRed, 'cause it'll take less time to respond to him: That's the real problem with this whole thing; parents are ****ed dumb as ****. And then lawyers who think they know what they're doing come in to 'save the day.' Sigh...

@ TGM:

TGM said:
Does the wii have lasting appeal? i think so. it would not have shattered as many records as it has if it was a fad or gimmick. Will the popularity slow down greatly? yes, every system does. but i believe that nintendo will dish out some more heavy hitters to keep the surge going as long as it can. Titles like mario kart and a TRUE wii zelda,,,,,just to name a few.
Lasting appeals, yes, if the developers get on it and make some truly AAA games on it. And I think that records WOULD have been shattered if it was a fad...of the mainstream. As it is, IMO. Just 'cause it's a fad doesn't mean it's inherently bad, though.

TGM said:
dont blame nintendo all for this one, is partly the 3rd parties too.
Yes, you're right. Third party devs have been pumping out ****...it's not just Nintendo.

TGM said:
Now for hardcore games. I guess this depends on the person. Some say sequels are hard core. some say blood and guts make it hard core.
What I mean by hardcore is games that appeal to people who know what the hell they're doing. For me, Galaxy is a game aimed at the hardcore crowd. Zelda, Metroid Prime, Smash. Those type of games.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Yeah, games like nintendogs are not hardcore. They're easy to just pick up and play, with no freaking idea about what you're doing.

With SMG, someone who had no prior videogame experience could get through it, but it would take them a long time, they would die alot, and they getting 120 stars would take them freaking FOREVER. Not to say they wouldn't have fun, and eventually they'd get it.

In general I think the difference between hardcore and normal games are that normal games, someone who's a complete nub can be just as good at it as a video game fanatic. Whereas with hardcore, it's not that the game can't be played by a normal person, but a hardcore gamer can take it so much further. Ie, SSBM. Just because someone's unlocked everything doesn't mean they're good at the game. Same goes for a game like Halo. You can play it all the way through by playing again and again, and not necessarily be any good. A non hardcore gamer could just beat it on normal or maybe heroic and multiplayer with other nub friends, and they'd be very happy with the game. The hardcore then has that extra step, namely legendary, skulls, and online. Even someone who played through and beat legendary but has no multiplayer experience could be totally destroyed online. Harcore games basically cater to everyone, while normal games are really only enjoyable by nub gamers. Course there are some games liek Warioware that are great fun for lots of hardcore players too, but in general, hardcore games are win-win, and there's no reason not to make them.

PeteBeast

Smash Apprentice
http://reviews.dcemu.co.uk/nyko-reveals-wireless-nunchuk-81260.html

Nyko will beat Nintendo to the punch with a wireless Nunchuck alternative. Set to make a public debut at CES next month, Nyko's Wireless Nunchuck will mirror most aspects of the first-party model but will finally cut the cord between the controllers.

Nyko's Wireless Nunchuck will employ 2.4-GHz wireless to communicate with a receiver module that jacks into the Wiimote's usual Nunchuck port. As the pictures suggest, power buttons on both the receiver and Wireless Nunchuck will turn the connection on and off.

In terms of gameplay, the Wireless Nunchuck should function just like the first-party option, as Nyko looks to be remaining true to Nintendo's general layout and button locations. Pricing and final release information will be announced at CES, so until then, enjoy these exclusive first pictures and start looking forward to even greater freedom in Wii gameplay.

I hope it works great! I wonder WHY Nintendo hasn't released their version... They announced it around 10 months ago. Who knows, maybe they are looking for another approach, perhaps adding rumble to it.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
To be honest, I don't see a reason to dump an extra 25 bucks on one of those when I can already spready my arms as much as possible w/o the chord getting in the way.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
http://reviews.dcemu.co.uk/nyko-reveals-wireless-nunchuk-81260.html

I hope it works great! I wonder WHY Nintendo hasn't released their version... They announced it around 10 months ago. Who knows, maybe they are looking for another approach, perhaps adding rumble to it.
I might get one to be honest. I've had brain farts while playing madden or something, and totally almost ripped the cord between them. It's a rare thing, but I really do dislike the cord. Of course it is one more loose thing to keep track of but thats no big really.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I heard people speculating about this, and I really am not a fan. The cord is mildly annoying, yes, but the last thing I need is yet another peripheral requiring its own set of batteries and having its own wireless issues. This is the same reason I do not care for a wireless mouse for my laptop. The less devices that require batteries, the better. I've only tugged on my middle cord once or twice, so it's not a pressing issue to the point of considering repurchasing parts of my controllers.

They look really slick, though. I'm glad they're at least available soon.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Valid point. I don't know. I'm a little sour with the gaming industry so I don't really want to be handing over money at every avaliable opportunity. I admitted it was a minor issue, and it is, and I suppose its not worth buying a battery eater to prevent a one in a million chance of a problem.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
The big improvements I see are the added wrist strap (I have dropped my nunchuk before) and the extra home button. That was kinda cool. ^_^

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I still wish they sold second guitars for guitar hero. It's not even like fore the Wii they are selling you the same thing they'd be selling a player on any other system, we have the controller, we just need the hunk of plastic to attatch it to. I wanna do co-op with my brother >_<

Sensai

Smash Master
WGWOLVERINE: About guitars, give it time.

@ Wireless nunchuck: Not a fan. Sure, it's a decent enough idea...but unnecessary (spelling!). Pretty much everything Buzz has said is spot on, so I won't repeat him.

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
The wireless nunchuck wouldn't be necessary, unless your a huge fan of wireless do-hickeys. Unless your flailing or spinning around a whole lot, there is no reason to get it. Besides, it's going to be expensive (for a nunchuck) at, what is it, $25 or $30? It's a bit out of range and not worth it. But I do like the idea.

TGM

Smash Lord
wire-less nunchuck is cool and all but its from a 3rd party company. im not a fan of third parties. there controlers,mem cards.....ect are not reliable. at least for me.

sensai, AAA titles for wii, i can count 2-3.........so yea, your right. there is a lack of them. But FOR ME, i dont NEED AAA titles. i would like then, dont get me wrong.

all i f-ing care about is a hard drive......its the easiest thing to have instead of multi SD cards.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=31362

Can't meet demand producing 1.8 million a month!

Nintendo is considering pulling its television advertising campaign for the Wii console because the company cannot manufacture enough consoles to meet the demand.
According to a spokesman, demand for the system "has been unprecedented and higher than Nintendo could ever have anticipated."
Nintendo, which has already raised its Wii production targets several times, is now looking at moving advertising into early 2008 in order to "act responsibly."
The company recently dismissed suggestions that it intentionally engineered shortages to build up hype for the Wii. It claims to be producing 1.8 million of the consoles each month at full capacity.
"The issue of supply management has to be questioned, not least because 2008 is going to be the crunch year for the Wii. It's then that we'll discover whether it's a fad or something with legs," Screen Digest analyst Piers

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I like the idea of the wireless nunchuk, because unlike Mr.GAW, I can't full spread my arms with a Wiimote in one and the Nunchuk in the other, which for some reason really bugs me. If Nintendo were to release a wireless one, I'd pick that up, but one one, as I already have 3 full controllers.

CHAOSDRAGON88

Smash Ace
I like the idea of the wireless nunchuk, because unlike Mr.GAW, I can't full spread my arms with a Wiimote in one and the Nunchuk in the other, which for some reason really bugs me. If Nintendo were to release a wireless one, I'd pick that up, but one one, as I already have 3 full controllers.
What games require you to spread your arms that far? Excuse me if it sounds rude btw i am 6'3(How tall are you?) and i have no desire to stretch my arms what games do you play that require that? Again sorry if it sounds rude.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I'm 6'3 too, and with greater height, comes greater arm length, which can exaggerate movements.

SORRY I DONT HAVE A TINY WINGSPAN!

gawrsh.

TGM

Smash Lord
im 5 10........TEE HEE!!!!!

but honestly, ill wait for nintendo to bust out with a wire-less nunchuck before ill buy one.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
EDIT: Scratch what I said earlier, I actually can't even come close to doing my full arms spread while holding both. Doesn't matter, anyways.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
Wireless Nunchuk for Brawl!

jk

I haven't seem this at all before, but it sounds like a really great idea! I think I would rather pay for a wireless Classic controller though. The wire on the nunchuk hasn't really bother me yet. But the "wireless" in general opens up a lot of new possibilities.

Sensai

Smash Master
I'm just shy of 6 feet and have no idea whether or not I can spread my arms all the way out with that thing. It doesn't make any difference to me if I can or not.

But to you guys who it does matter, go for this. Come back with some impressions (i.e., lag time, motion sensitivity, etc).

hectichobo

Smash Ace
heyy could someonbe tell me how to connect your wii to the internet??? I hav a wireless dsl box for my labtop... Do i need anything else....

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Just because you're over 6 feet doesn't mean you have to go shouting it about all haughtily, Buzz. It's not like you're more important than the rest of us.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Just because you're over 6 feet doesn't mean you have to go shouting it about all haughtily, Buzz. It's not like you're more important than the rest of us.
Yes, it does. Deal with it.

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
I have a question. On the new MoH game for the Wii, when you play online, does it show the other players' names? Or does it pull a SSBB?

Sensai

Smash Master
I'm 8 foot 37. I win.

And that is all a rumor...although, a Megaman game for the Wii would be intense. I don't tihnk it's gonna happen though, as the creator said that he wanted a high-def Megaman. So...I'm calling the rumor debunk.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Megaman 6 for NES was the last good game he had. I hated all his games after that.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
I'm 1'60"

Has anyone else had trouble with the little hooks on the plastic covers for the gamecube ports breaking? I play smash alot (of course) and me and two friends have all had the little hooks break at some point in college making it impossible to reattach the covers.

Top Bottom