• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Sensai

Smash Master
It's the freedom of the people, man! We don't need protecting from ourselves, we need protecting from the man, man. Why is it that some people are allowed to completely throw off an entire game and make it so that it's only barely available (or not available at all, in the UK's case) to the masses? No, most people on here don't really care about the game, but there are some people who are going to pick up an M rated game just for the sake of it being M rated and on the Wii.

I don't support Rockstar, as I think they just enjoy making a huge *****-fest, and will probably not buy this game. I DO think that freedom of expression should be noted, and to give something an AO is very much like condemning a game to fail.

(that started as a joke and ended much more seriously then I thought)

Manhunt 2 for the Wii was given an AO because when you want to kill someone, you ****in' kill someone. With your bare hands. And you act it out.

No More Heroes is also one of my most anticipated games for the Wii (got Killer7 a few days ago...weird). When Suda 51 said that (about more violence then in Manhunt), he said it as more or less a promise that the game will be gory. He didn't honestly mean to say 'we're going to wait for Manhunt 2's rating and quadruple it!', he merely meant that fans of Killer7 wouldn't be dissapointed.

El HP

Smash Ace
Manhunt 2 is a survival/stealth game not a murdering simulator it is weird the game got an AO rating when the first one was rated M.

As for retailers I think they were still selling grand theft auto SA when the game got AO rating after the hot coffee incident.

Sensai

Smash Master
^^^

They reverted and only sold the MA copies of GTA:SA. Also, the first one didn't actually allow you to act out the motions.

Also, updates on the Manhunt 2 fiasco:

Ireland has also banned Manhunt 2.

Nintendo and Sony have both stated that if the game maintains an AO rating, it will not be sold on their systems....or something. I've linked to articles about it below. You can go through the technical jargon and all that jazz.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/06/20/nintendo-and-sony-wont-touch-manhunt-2-with-ao-rating/
http://kotaku.com/gaming/original/nintendo-nixes-ao-manhunt-270741.php

[Edit:]

For some reason I said that Ireland had banned me....that's not just untrue, it's also absurd! Highly improbable!

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
http://wii.ign.com/articles/797/797920p1.html
Rockstar apparently believes that Manhunt 2 deserves an M rating.
Rockstar said:
We respect those who have different opinions about the horror genre and video games as a whole, but we hope they will also consider the opinions of the adult gamers for whom this product is intended. We believe all products should be rated to allow the public to make informed choices about the media and art they wish to consume. The stories in modern video games are as diverse as the stories in books, film and television. The adult consumers who would play this game fully understand that it is fictional interactive entertainment and nothing more.
What Rockstar said is true. This game is obviously made for adults, and I'm pretty sure adults can make their own decisions; a committee isn't needed to tell adults that they can't play a game (made for adults.)

At least the U.S. can't ban the game from being sold; that would go completely against the 1st amendment.
EDIT (a big one):
http://wii.ign.com/articles/798/798162p1.html
No Manhunt 2 on Wii.

Freaking Nintendo. If the Wii "appeals to such a broad range of people" why don't you let Manhunt 2 be on your system? You guys stated yourselves that "the ESRB provides ratings to help consumers understand the content of a game before they purchase it." Therefore, adults would know that this game is for them, and minors would know that this game isn't for them. Jeez, way to be hypocritical.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
Game bannings are bull****. It has an AO rating: That means you can't buy it unless you're 18 years of age or older. Now, I doubt the UK has the exact same system for ratings, but something similar should be in place. Ban movies, ban the internets, ban books, and ban art if you're going to ban violent games. It's all the same.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
That's what's pisses me off about ratings. Why the hell do we have them if games still get banned and pulled off consoles? It's not like every 9 year old kid and his grandma is gonna pick up an AO game. Game politics piss me off to no end.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I love how the ESRB can block a title by slapping it with the AO raiting. It's essentially like blacklisting an actor in the 1950s by calling them a communist. I never understood how a game like this where you sneak up and behead people could have been on the Nintendo console, though. It would have been a bad image from the get go. Sony, on the other hand, are just a group of hypocrites because they pushed for the first Manhunt to be graphic and huge (they had Brian Cox) and now they are backing out when this one is getting graphic and huge. Oh well, maybe I'll get to play it on Steam.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
I couldn't care less, I never would have played a game where you can crush a guys balls with a clamp and then rip them off.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Of course it is. If you do that then all the other guys will hear the guys screams and either be too scared to come or will walk into the elaborating testicle mutilating traps you lay for them, leaving you unmolested to walk from the building.

[/sarcasm]

Sensai

Smash Master
More news on the Manhunt 2 fiasco (sorry for posting so much about it...). Apparently most of Europe has decided to ban the game, and our friends down under (AU) are gonna trash it too.

I wonder if this game were rated AO for sexual content would it still be so widely...despised and banned. I doubt it. Most people stay away from sex games, so there's no need to ban it...but now that it's just incredibly violent, everyone and their mother needs to jump on the Ban Wagon (got that one from Game Politics!).

Stryks

Smash Hero
Well its already banned in europe, australia, but none of this matters cause the game wont be on the wi iand (I think) on the ps2...

So theres really any way to gte it UNTIL they lower the game to M, which wil lforce them to change a lot of the game in general... meh wasnt gonna buy the game anyway...

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Keep in mind Rockstar can challenge the rating through an appeal process.

Maybe it'll change.

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
...a game where you can crush a guys balls with a clamp and then rip them off.
Keep in mind Rockstar can challenge the rating through an appeal process.

Maybe it'll change.
L O L.

if it goes down to M i would laugh so hard. i wonder if it would still be mass banned though? im guessing theyd still keep it banned, unless theres actual content changes.

EDIT: oh yeah, dont know if anyones mentioned it yet, but RE4Wii is amazing. i havent finished it yet, so i dont know everything extra that they put it, but it says on the back of the case that you pretty much go through the game with Ada too. which is probably what was in the PS2 version (i never played it). my only complaint is the sniper aiming, you dont use the wiimote at all for it (just the control stick), which = slower + akward aiming. and the sniper used to be my favorite weapon, too...otherwise the controls are awesome.

Sensai

Smash Master
It's hands down the least scary RE game that there is...I think. It's the least scary numbered one, of that I am sure.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I think the regenerators were hands down the scariest monsters in the whole game. I remember after my friends first encounter with one he wasted nearly all of his ammo and then we heard the sound of one breathing [which is scary ****] and we freaked out, he ran through the whole room just to get away from it.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I wonder if this game were rated AO for sexual content would it still be so widely...despised and banned. I doubt it. Most people stay away from sex games, so there's no need to ban it...but now that it's just incredibly violent, everyone and their mother needs to jump on the Ban Wagon (got that one from Game Politics!).
Uh, yes. Sexually explicit content is frowned on even moreso than violence. Did you already forget about Hot Coffee? It's the content that has it banned not it's the rating.

Obvioulsy the rating is dependant on the content but it's not banned just for being a violent game, it's banned for being a violent AO game. As Sony and Nintendo have already stated they don't allow AO games on their systems.

If the game was violent but still M rated we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Except when we laugh at Australia for being the only ones to ban the game.

TigerBlade34

Smash Journeyman
Iron Maidens are more scarier than Regeneradors when I first played, trust me. :o But yeah, after beating the game ten times, none of 'em are scary to me, lol. Garradors are the best enemies, period.

Sensai

Smash Master
Ganados. It's Spanish for cattle...not sure where you got the 'r's from.

Chill: good point about Hot Coffee. It amazes me how quickly I forgot about all that. While you've effectively shot down my point, I think there still might be a bit of truth behind it. Wait...nevermind.

What I was going to say is that some other games that are more sexually based (I can't name one, which sorta helps augment my point) are not paraded around like this and don't cause entire forum threads to go crazy over it regardless of rating. Then I realized that those types of games are not intended for mainstream use, as Manhunt 2 is. Hot Coffee exploded because it too was mainstream.

Sorry, little bit of a paragraph to explain what I was thinking.

Those Regenerator things? Ha...funny story about them. You know those sounds they make? Well, the chick I was dating at the time had a dog that made those EXACT same noises. I was taking a nap at her place one day and I heard it and I was flippin' ****.

Completely unrelated to anything I've said thus far:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/clips/dragon-blade-wrath-of-fire-271169.php

A new game, entitled Dragon Blade. Looks like it could pass for a decent game...

TigerBlade34

Smash Journeyman
^^ Wasn't referring to Ganados. Garradors are a type of enemy that have Wolverine-like claws and usually go berserk when you make a lot of noise and to defeat them you have to shot the Plaga on their back.

Sensai

Smash Master
^^^

I hate those things.

Anyone ever beat it on hard mode beside me? So crazy...I played it with my girl at the time while she was going through it on easy mode. The difference is as drastic as night and day.

Shark X

Smash Lord
I can't believe that Jack *** Jack Thompson turned Wendy's against Nintendo...

Wikipedia said:
Wendy's Kids Meals
In a letter to Wendy's CEO Kerri Anderson, Jack Thompson demanded Wendy's drop an upcoming promotion featuring children's toys designed after Nintendo games Excite Truck, Wii Sports and Mario; because Manhunt 2 was scheduled for release on the console.

An excerpt from Thompson's letter: "Dave Thomas never would have tolerated the use of Wendy’s good name to promote Nintendo’s Wii, not with this game available on the Wii platform."
Manhunt 2 could cause alot of problems for Mario, all thanks to that idiot who thinks he rules the world, Jack Thompson. I seriously don't know who he thinks he is.

TigerBlade34

Smash Journeyman
^^^

I hate those things.

Anyone ever beat it on hard mode beside me?
Heh, me too. Haven't beat Normal yet. I'm at Chapter 5-2, I think. I've noticed some differences between the GC and Wii, such as you get more ammo in the GC version, but on the Wii, you get a ton of money (pesetas) instead of ammo. You kinda have to use ammo more wisely than you did in the GC version.

AS Juggernaut

Smash Journeyman
If movies like hostel and saw, which show the brutal toruring of humans, can get an R rating which would be equivalent to an M rating in videogame, I dont see why Manhunt 2 can not. In fact, those movies even get sequals to them to show more ways that people can be tortured. Yes, I can see that Manhunt 2 is extremely violent, but ADULTS, the ones the game is targeted at are able to make their own adult decisions and should not be limited so easily if hostel doesnt get an X rating which is similar to the AO rating in videogames. I predict that manhunt 2 will be released whether it is because they appealed it or they reduced just enough content to make it an M rating.

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
Heh, me too. Haven't beat Normal yet. I'm at Chapter 5-2, I think. I've noticed some differences between the GC and Wii, such as you get more ammo in the GC version, but on the Wii, you get a ton of money (pesetas) instead of ammo. You kinda have to use ammo more wisely than you did in the GC version.
definitely lack of ammo in the wii version. its almost as bad as pro on the GC (which i actaully did beat...). i beat the wii version yesterday, and theres that extra Ada mode where you play through 5 or 6 missions...oh, and did you watch that trailer in the bonus menu yet? umbrella chronicles. it looks so good.

TigerBlade34

Smash Journeyman
definitely lack of ammo in the wii version. its almost as bad as pro on the GC (which i actaully did beat...). i beat the wii version yesterday, and theres that extra Ada mode where you play through 5 or 6 missions...oh, and did you watch that trailer in the bonus menu yet? umbrella chronicles. it looks so good.
I beat Professional on GC too. It was pretty tough and I bet it's gonna be even harder on the Wii. Umbrella Chronicles looks awesome since I like light-gun games like Time Crisis and House of the Dead. It should be perfect for me.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion

*This does not necesesarily reflect my opinions on the Manuhunt AO-M conflict.

Just thought it was sorta funny.

Top Bottom