• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Sensai

Smash Master
^^^

Same.

It seems that every single gaming news site/magazine/etc has an as-of-yet unquenched desire to wreck havoc in the mind of all of us news-gatherers.

Don't really mind it, though. Gives me something to laugh about.

[Edit:]

Games for today's VC include:

Starfox 64
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Dragon's Curse
http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2007/04/02/vc-monday-madness-star-fox-64-and-more/

Also, NiGHTS 2 was officially announced today. I never played the first one, but from all the craze it's been getting from old fanboys...I'm interested.

Someone needs to post in here so that I don't have to use a double post to bump it...

Anyways, look at this Opoona trailer. Pretty sweet, if I say so myself. It's got a WEIRD artistic thing going for it....and I like it.

http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2007/04/02/new-opoona-trailer-shows-off-gameplay-induces-drooling/

Also, straight from the mouth of Miyamoto, comes this weird, subtle, hint at us hardcore Nintendo fans:

Shiggy said:
"I prepared myself for the possibility that Wii might face an uphill battle in America, so to see that it has become this big of a hit is something t I wasn't particularly expecting... There are other enhancements to the Wii interface and developments being planned that are going to really make games for hardcore players a lot more fun and interesting... A lot of people have the misunderstanding that Nintendo is not interested in network gaming."

Gargomon251

Smash Journeyman
bannnnnneeedddd
That's absolutely disgusting. Get that the **** out of here. Mods, please?
He's gone. My image of Pikachu is ruined, though. :C
Wow, was that someone's April fool joke? Whatever it was, it must have been really bad if he was banned that quick.

Games for today's VC include:

Starfox 64
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Dragon's Curse
http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2007/04/02/vc-monday-madness-star-fox-64-and-more/

Also, NiGHTS 2 was officially announced today. I never played the first one, but from all the craze it's been getting from old fanboys...I'm interested.
Man, I am SOOOO tempted to get SF64, but I dunno, my friend still has the cartridge, and 10bux is a lot of money for such an old game.... Plus I already have SFA...

The rest of the VC games mostly suck. Or have been remade to death.

Sensai

Smash Master
Gotta go with Mic on this.

AND FREAKIN' NIGHTS 2. Do you people even LISTEN to me anymore!?

Ack. Also, online details concerning Mario Strikers Charged's online play:

Nintendo said:
One of the many modes this game features is the multiplayer mode which can see up to four players in any one game (players must split between two teams). Players can also utilise Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection to take on players from across the globe! Multiplayer modes include Ranked mode where players can compete to climb up leaderboards and Unranked mode where they can quickly select and play friends.
Leaderboards? Rankings? Cool. Gives me hope for that other big game I wanna play...Smashing something? What was the name?

Chill

Red
BRoomer
AND FREAKIN' NIGHTS 2. Do you people even LISTEN to me anymore!?
You should have figured it out by now but no one cares about Nights. Most people haven't played it including the ones who go on about how great it is. If the new game get's some exposure and sounds interesting people will talk about it. We're not going to discuss a game we have little to no interest in just to make you feel better.

StarFox Assault is Nintendo's answer to Halo.
You are joking aren't you? Sometimes I can't tell.

The first Strikers was a fun game so I'm looking forward to the next. Online play should make it even better.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Uh, no. Not when you take multiplayer into account.
I did.

And just because one's got more weapons, characters, stats for the diferent characters (which, imo, is a horrible idea in fps's, especially in this one where 1 pretty much is way better than the others (wolf) and everyone goes him)

Basically, Starfox is good because it's suposed to be a spaceship dogfighting combat thing, not a 3rd person shooter. What they did with SFA is like taking Pong, giving the paddles diferent colours, making diferent colours hit the ball faster/slower, increasing/reducing the paddle size and movespeed, making the ball change shape, change effects and so on. Completly changes the game into a complicated mess which ruins the simple yet awsome fun of the original game.

From what I heard the one on DS is good, but SF64 is still better.

Sensai

Smash Master
I liked the simplicity in SF64's multiplayer, for one. No, not all games should be simplistic by nature, but it did it good and allowed for the truly decent players to shine through.

Chill said:
You should have figured it out by now but no one cares about Nights. Most people haven't played it including the ones who go on about how great it is. If the new game get's some exposure and sounds interesting people will talk about it. We're not going to discuss a game we have little to no interest in just to make you feel better.
I somehow get the feeling that you don't like me. Don't know what I did, but apologies I give to you. And I was just foolin' around, as I don't expect you to discuss something just because I mentioned it. I did, however, think that someone might have missed it (as this thread does have a tendency to skip some posts/information) so I figured I'd mention it again in hopes someone might fill me in on the hype which was NiGHTS.

And it's we'll.

Oh, some more details (or a new wording of them) have surfaced for Striker's online component. The reason I mention it is because of a word they mention: 'achievements'.

According to Mike Inglehart, Charged will feature three types of online matching: friendship, "regular" and regional. Friendship matching will allow players to compete against others whom they've swapped friends codes with. Regular matching randomly pairs players across the globe, while regional matching allows players to compete against others within a particular territory.

One online mode mentioned includes a "soccer season" type game in which players can win matches to earn points. Alongside granting the ability to earn achievements, the points will be recorded on an online scoreboard and correspond with a player's Mii avatar for others to see.
And the thing about Mii avatars somewhat excites me.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Jeez, cut him some slack. He's probably just frustrated that nobody realizes how great of a game this was way back when. I'm sure he's not crying in a corner because nobody responded to it, he just wants to bring more attention to the game.

EDIT:

My bad Sensai, took me too long to get around to posting this. I'll let you fight your own fights.:psycho:

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Personally, I like many of the N64 games which featured multiplayer over their next-gen counterparts. Star Fox 64, Mario Kart 64, and Goldeneye among others. That's when they didn't have to make the game complex with stats, numerous weapons, and various strategies in order to make it fun. They just feel like they're more assesible to a person who wants to try it out and is able to get that hang of it easily; games that a bunch of people can learn to play, win, and replay without losing the "magic".

Although I never layed a hand on NiGHTS, Sensai sparked the desire to play it when I forgot it existed years ago. THANKS :grin: , now we just gotta hope that the Wii version won't suck in the hands of the Sonic Team geniuses.

Sensai

Smash Master
Thanks fellas. I appreciate it.

Here are some new rumors for you, coming from Codename Revolution. It's all games. Although two of them (for sure) have already been posted about here, I feel they need to be stressed again, so I'm repeating it.

Beautiful Katamari - November
Namco Museum Remix - October
Resident Evil 4 - May
Dragon Blade: Wrath of Fire - September

The Namco Museum and Dragon Blade games are the only news, as RE4 and Katamari were already discussed (kinda). The Namco title is easily deciphered as to it's innards, but what is this Dragon Blade?

And when is Mario Strikers Charged coming out? It's like May 25th for Europe, and unnaounced here. What gives?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Australia's getting strikers something like first week of June.

Gargomon251

Smash Journeyman
I did.

And just because one's got more weapons, characters, stats for the diferent characters (which, imo, is a horrible idea in fps's, especially in this one where 1 pretty much is way better than the others (wolf) and everyone goes him)
Wolf isn't better than everyone. And the same concept almost worked perfect for Metroid Prime Hunters. I hate FPSes where everyone is a boring clone.

Maybe I just don't like the "classsics" Goldeneye's lack of jumping and bland weapon choice irritated me, and I still think MKDS is better than 64 (not Double Dash) and games like Pac Man and Asteroids just bore me without variety or innovation. I do think SF64 has slightly better multi than SFC, despite no wifi. But SFAs has expansive, fun to explore environments, and the vehicle system is much more balanced, especially with the introduction of separate health and unique long-range anti-vehicle weapons like the Fireburst Pods. More modes too! I really don't think it pays for me to buy SF64 when it has less features then 64, considering I already played and beat the original. Just like I will never buy Kirby's Adventure (which I also beat 100% years ago) since I have Kirby Super Star.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I played the first NiGHTS. It was fun at the time and made me want to get a Saturn, but honestly it's nothing I would go looking for. Definitely not a console seller which is what it's being pushed as.

Is it on any other consoles? Even though since it's not made by a first party, the word exclusive means nothing. (Resident Evil 4?)

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I somehow get the feeling that you don't like me. Don't know what I did, but apologies I give to you. And I was just foolin' around, as I don't expect you to discuss something just because I mentioned it. I did, however, think that someone might have missed it (as this thread does have a tendency to skip some posts/information) so I figured I'd mention it again in hopes someone might fill me in on the hype which was NiGHTS.
I don't dislike you. I was just irritated because you basically posted the same info three times in a few pages. A few people noticed but most just don't seem interested. Oh well.

Sensai said:
And it's we'll.
I'm looking at my post and I'm not seeing what this applies to. Care to point it out?

Mr. GAW said:
Jeez, cut him some slack. He's probably just frustrated that nobody realizes how great of a game this was way back when. I'm sure he's not crying in a corner because nobody responded to it, he just wants to bring more attention to the game.
There's nothing wrong with that. But you know what it? It doesn't make sense for anyone to be frustrated about a game not getting attention in the Wii topic. We have a NiGHTS topic and I guarantee people will talk about nothing but NiGHTS there. That's probably a good place to go if you want to talk about the game. Just an idea.

Regarding Strikers, I want to know what they mean by achievements. For a second I thought it might mean XB type achivements but it doesn't make sense because Nintendo does not yet have a way to display achievements. If it is infact "made 4 goals in 4 minutes" than it's only going to be game specific.

Sensai

Smash Master
I was jokingly frustrated, but I guess it doesn't come off as well on the Internet as I would like it to.

When you say I posted it three times, I think you mean that I posted once about it being a rumor, once about it being confirmed, and then again in order to highlight it and see if it was something worth getting excited about.

I'll pass on furthering this inane dispute by pointing out minute details of typing. I'll just let it drop. Shouldn't have mentioned it anyways. I was just somewhat distraught and felt you were attacking me for this or that, and was looking for something to throw on you. My bad.

And in regards to the achievement thing, they could possibly release a channel for things such as that. I doubt they will, but it's a definite possibility.

I always get so caught up that I don't post the news that I find....

Metroid Prime 3 not shipping before July
http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2007/04/04/metroid-prime-3-not-shipping-before-july/

Resident Evil 4 on Wii official, Umbrella Chronicles an on-rails shooter
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/04/resident-evil-4-on-wii-official-umbrella-chronicles-an-on-rails/

And I'm not sure if I've posted this (so I won't again if I had), but Nintendo's looking at doing something more with Miis, closer down the lines of the PS3's Home. Sounds like Mii Crossing.

And I'm much less interested in that RE thing now...on-rails shooter? Anyone remember Dead Aim? Eeek.

And I need not even FREAKING mention this whole MP3 shiot.

primusfan

Smash Ace
:joyful:

I pre-ordered Super Paper Mario. I'm so freakin excited.

And about Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, I was interested until it was announced it's on rails.

Volrec

Smash Lord
Back from my hiatus. April = Rain. =(
Whatsup, Wii thread! Seems like many new games are coming out! I especially am excited for SPM. And Nights seems cool also. :)
Can you guys send me Wii messages so I dont think theres something wrong. >.>

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
I'm up for RE4 Wii edition. I never paid for the original (borrowed it) so since its not only getting the wii controls plus the extra level from the PS2 version and some other stuff, not to mention the supposedly low price tag(which I'm doubting), I'm definately ready to buy it.

and sensai, there's a lot of stuff in the NiGHTS topic now. If you have anything new regarding it, post it there and I'll make sure it gets added with credit for your find.

edit: and frank fly, there's a whole SWF connected thread stickied at the top for that. or you could use PMs;.

Sensai

Smash Master
^^^

Appreciate it. Any more findings (that are worth mentioning, as some new information came out today that doesn't really do much for me) will be reported there posthaste.

And I'll probably end up biting the bullet and buying RE4...again. /sigh

And I could go for a handgun attachment.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
UC looks cool, and on rails? If it's anything like the House of the Dead games, sweet. Especially if there's co-op muliplayer.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
:joyful:

I pre-ordered Super Paper Mario. I'm so freakin excited.

And about Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, I was interested until it was announced it's on rails.
I gotta follow your example. As much as I was expecting from TP I wasn't pleased. I was more than pleased, and I was also extremely happy. TP blew any expectations off of what I had, and it is a true classic for the ages, and it takes total advantage of the Wiimote and Numchuck.

I gonna get Super Paper Mario, and I hope RE 4 comes out on the Wii as some sort of special edition thing. If not, RE 5 looks good, and hopefully it comes out on the Wii. I also heard the Manhunt sequal (a very reliable source) is coming to the Wii (good game).

I also wonder about Prince of Persia: Rival Swords. The series looks good, but never played it. Warrior Within looked good, but again I've never played it. Anyone played a game in that series, because the series looks real good.

Also I can't wait to get Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, and of course I am going insane waiting for SSBB (who isn't?). All gonna be awsome games! The Wii is gonna keep adding good titles to a kick but line, real fast.

Let us not hope for a GC incident, the Wii having way too many crap games, or even worse: the Wii only focusing on ppl who usually don't play video games. Let us hope Nintendo keeps up what they started with the Wii (TP), and they mainly focus on the gaming society, rather than the ppl who don't usually play video games.

Sensai

Smash Master
Manhunt II has been confirmed for the Wii. A while ago, actually.

RE5 won't be on the Wii. It's too graphically advanced, and Capcom's not going to do a dumbed down port (oh wait...).

I'm also wondering about the Prince of Persia game. Has anyone played the original one? I've never played the games, but I've heard they're good and I figure this chance might not be a bad one to pass up.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
And I'm not sure if I've posted this (so I won't again if I had), but Nintendo's looking at doing something more with Miis, closer down the lines of the PS3's Home. Sounds like Mii Crossing.
???? I don't recall.
Elaborate please.

Sensai

Smash Master
Alright, lemme find a link to the place where I saw it, which should have a link to the actual interview. I'll post the quote when I find it.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/02/miyamoto-hints-that-miis-may-be-on-the-move/

Got it. Here's the quote:
Interviewer said:
After the Sony keynote from Phil Harrison, there were a number of people who were drawing comparisons between Home--their Second Life-like lobby interface--and the Miis; you have Miis on your T-shirt right now. They were drawing comparisons between that and Mii Plaza. Sony also showed LittleBigPlanet--this platform game where you can create your own levels and other things, by a company from the U.K.--and a lot of people said it was very Nintendo-like in terms of the characters and the game. I'm curious about whether you had an opportunity to see some of the video footage from either Home or LittleBigPlanet, and what you thought of it. Do you feel like your competition is copying you, or do you feel that they're helping move the medium forward?
Miyamoto said:
Actually, I haven't seen the videos, but I have heard I have heard some things about them, that people were talking about them. As far as the idea that maybe Sony is doing things similar to Nintendo, to be honest, I would be happy the more companies that I see that that tried to do like Nintendo is doing and break out and do something different. I'd been very worried that the videogame industry had been progressing in too much of a straight line, all in the same direction. So the more that other companies can get out and try to break beyond that and move in different directions, that makes me happy for the industry as a whole.

With regard to the PlayStation Home, obviously we have seen a lot of people who have been interested in doing that type of thing for a long time, from Little Computer People to what we have done with the Miis to the Sims, so a lot of people have looked at different ways to take that and do something with it. I wouldn't be surprised if we also did something along those lines further in the future.

There's actually another question devoted to it that I hadn't previously caught. The interviewer asks if Shiggy means more along the lines of Home, or more in the direction of LittleBigPlanet? Check it out:
Miyamoto said:
In terms of taking the Miis and expanding them, that virtual kind of Sim-type experience. It's something that a lot of people have already done and shown interest in, and we have a lot of people internally who are interested in that type of a project too. As far as the editor goes, obviously we've worked with editors for a really long time. The first game that we put an editor in was Excitebike back on the NES. Playing games is fun, but another fun experience in games is creating and creation. As I discussed in my speech yesterday, creating Miis is almost like taking part in game development to a certain extent. The more I see editors like this being implemented into games, the more excited I get. There's definitely a sense of mutual understanding that I have in terms of why people would want to do something like this.

The problem with things like editors is that they're very difficult to create in a way that can be turned into a viable product or can be easily used by a lot of people. Often times, it can take a lot of time. So it's really just a question of how well they're able to execute on that. But of course, I'm not saying that Sony hasn't also been doing these types of projects over the years. They have a lot of talented developers that they've been working with, and they've all had some different but still similar ideas to these. People tend to work on a lot of projects over time, so it's not like Sony's never done anything like this before. But it really is more a question of PR posturing in terms of when they're focusing on these types of announcements and bringing to the public light. So I think the fact that at their keynote this week they focused on some maybe very Nintendo-esque type projects, it makes me happy and I think it's good for the industry. Because the more that people try to go in these unique and creative directions, the more possibilities that open up for the industry as a whole.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Wow. Sweet. Thanks for that. I'm actually quite surprised I hadn't heard this. Of course, it doesn't say anything concrete, but it means Nintendo is keeping an open mind toward it. I like the home idea, if you haven't noticed.

Sensai

Smash Master
Listening to the Wiik in Review thing from IGN.

Nothing big yet (they've been talking about how ports usually suck), but Matt did just say that the EA game 'Boogie' would be using a mic. He dropped it casually in conversation, which leads me to believe he's known it for a while.

Please, God. Miyamoto. Iwata. Whoever, I don't care. Give me an ability to communicate with people online.

Now they're talking about MP3....Matt says he can see it being delayed into 'o8. The reason he's expecting this is because MP2 sold like crud, so they're trying to perfect MP3 and make it a tad different so that it'll sell well.

If that doesn't come out this year, will Brawl? Hm...

Now they're actually talking about that, haha. Matt says that he thought Smash and MP3 would be 2 of the big 3 to come out this year. They whole-heartedly expect Project HAMMER and Disaster Day of Crisis.

Moving on, they start talking about some secret game that no one knows about. Matt says he thinks it's coming out this year. Then the audio goes weird for about a second (probably editing it) and they resume talking.

[Edit 2:]

Matt just said that, earlier on, Nintendo didn't really have online play at the top of their priority list. He then goes on to say that recently they've made it a huge priority. So, expect some more online? Hopefully.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
I heard the mic thing too. This is very, very interesting..... I wonder if Matt was allowed to say that. I would think this means voice chat is very likely between friends. As for the secret game, it's really frustrating when they talk about something great that they can't tell you about.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Wo til 08?! wow and to think it was scheduled for launch lol, I dont know how good or bad MP2 selled, anyone can give me some numbers or something? anyway I doubt this will be the story here, with the new controller and all I expect to sell way more than mp2, maybe more than mp1 (dont knwo how much it selled either...) and IF it has multiplayer similair like MP hunters, then expect this game to be on the top 5 of wiis greatest games XD...

Has any news on either project HAMMER and day of crisis ben released in like forever? I havent heard anything from either game, and I REALLY wanna play HAMMER...

I say a microphone to enable to chat online is innevitable, I mean theyre gonna release (or already did) a mircrophone for the DS, so sooner or l8r they must have tough about one for the wii, and for games like BWii where theres co-op and stuff like that its perfect...

Sensai

Smash Master
I haven't heard anything from Disaster OR HAMMER in god knows how long....I've pretty much thrown them on the list with Duke Nukem Forever (not really, but c'mon, info Nintendo. Seriously. We haven't heard pretty much anything in a long time. I know all about the stock situation, but that's been almost a month by this point and I think you owe us some info on ANY FREAKIN' GAME you've ever almost thought of creating).

And I'm almost nearing the end of the podcast. Did you guys know Mario and Sonic at the Olympics would be online? Cool.

Top Bottom