• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii Fit Trainer confirmed!

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Sakurai, himself, said that the roster will be the same on both. Some stages will be exclusives (Stages from Wii U and Wii games on the Wii U and areas from 3DS games as 3DS stages).
Ah, neat. I missed that.
Yay, I get villager on 3DS version to hold me over until I can afford a Wii U! :D
And WFT!
I'm happy. This made me happy.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Explain, please. Enlighten me on why she's a bad pick.
I bet I'll see people comparing her to other wtf characters so if you'll allow me to explain why she is nothing like the rest

First in Melee we have Game and Watch, Nintendo's first foray into Handheld games and brainchild of the genius Gunpei Yokoi who is second only to Miyamoto in terms of creating everything you hold dear. The character is a tribute to what was the probably first major electronic success for Nintendo and lead to them actually creating video games.

Second in Brawl we have R.O.B., an add-on to the NES that arguably saved the North American video game industry by giving incentive to the first NES buyers. In the early 80s people had a bad taste in their mouths because of how ****ty Atari games had become, and Nintendo managed to avoid using the words Video Game and focused more on the Robot Toy included, it was only after Nintendo began pumping out all their NES classics that video games were no longer considered a fading fad.

Let's recap for a sec

1. Genesis of all things related to video games for Nintendo
2. Resurrection of video games as we know it in non-Japanese markets

Which brings us to Wii Fit Trainer, a placeholder graphic to make a daily fitness trainer look more interesting and not just be a bunch of numbers on a screen.

No one who was undecided is now racing to buy the game now that Wii Fit Trainer was announced, I can tell you that.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
1. Handheld game
2. Nintendo accessory: R.O.B
3. Wii accessory (Wii Scale) representative: Wii Fitness Trainer

All represent hardware (as well as games). The Wii remote and (to a lesser extent) the Wii Fit scale allowed Nintendo to capture gamers of different generations. Markets that were left untap. She (and the other two) represent Nintendo ingenuity.

WELM

Smash Cadet
Wow, Nintendo. Wow.... That thing..... You put that thing in Smash Brothers instead of a more worthy character with, dare I say it... character!?

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
1. Handheld game
2. Nintendo accessory: R.O.B
3. Wii accessory (Wii Scale) representative: Wii Fitness Trainer

All represent hardware (as well as games). The Wii remote and (to a lesser extent) the Wii Fit scale allowed Nintendo to capture gamers of different generations. Markets that were left untap. She (and the other two) represent Nintendo ingenuity.
Google "wii fit" and see how far you have to scroll down before you see the girl in smash bros

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Mostly I'm responding at this point to create a giant, colorful wall of text. :D This time let's go for... whatever the heck this color's called. "Kirby".

"Nobody at all wants this character so I added them!" is pretty daft when you're trying to appeal to an audience. It's not just that we as individuals didn't want this character, it's that Sakurai expressed that he chose it because NOBODY wanted this character.

I don't think it's daft. I personally think it was a good move. It's not that people didn't desire the character in the sense that people specifically wanted to bar her from the game completely, it's that nobody even bothered to want her and it was unexpected. I like the whole "force a surprise concept into the game" thing. Maybe it's just me.

I mean, it certainly seems like a lot of people are angry specifically at the thought of her as a character. ;) The Villager wasn't highly requested either but people aren't complaining nearly as much about him.
I ain't got nothing against a surprise character, but there's a time and a place. Also, I was irked by him implying that nobody wanting the character was the main draw for him picking her. RUDE, Sakurai. Rude. The character pick itself is arguable, but presenting her third? Definitely daft when the entire point of the reveal is to build up hype.
The responses like "Haha, oh Sakurai, you marvelous troll" come off a lot like Stockholm syndrome setting in. If it was anyone but Sakurai, people wouldn't be so forgiving.

In order: Yes, people are angry at this thought. The Villager was moderately requested, I myself jumped on the Villager train ages ago; It wasn't quite as popular as Ridley or (sigh) Waluigi, though.
I agree about there being a time and place. I agree this was awkwardly timed. And I find that more of a "Surprise! Happy Smash Day!" gag gift than a "Screw my fans, here's a load of poo!" bag of flaming dog stuff on someone's front porch. I'm sure he meant well, and I quite frankly enjoy his decision. But yes, the timing of the presentation is totally awkward. Not going to argue there.

The responses calling Sakurai a troll are... slightly appropriate, seeing as how that's how he's coming off to be. Honestly, as I've noted several times, I like his decision. I don't mind more than one WTF character, and this character seems to be just that. I don't think it's Stockholm syndrome. Personally, I would have applauded this decision if it came from damned Gabe Newell. Not that I have anything against good ol' Gaben.

Well, Sakurai kind of killed the Villager support early by publicly rejecting the character as a fighter.
I... really like the mental image of Sakurai flinging flaming bags of poo into the audience while laughing maniacally.
It would seem a lot more like a gag gift if there was something paired with it, i.e. Little Mac. Anyway, yeah. We can all agree that this announcement wasn't done in the best way possible... but there's still time in the day for one more character to take the edge off, who knows.
Gabe Newell should make Super Valve Heroes: Throwdown. Does that makes sense at all? Dunno!

And when I say "character", I mean the term very broadly as she is not, in fact, a character. She is not by any definition one of Nintendo's all-stars, and that is why nobody even thought to suggest her.

Snake nor Sonic is a Nintendo all-star. Though they were wanted beforehand...
But neither was R.O.B. or Game and Watch. R.O.B was a darned peripheral that had a game based around him and his use... as a peripheral.
I actually do think of Snake as a Nintendo all-star, but that's only because I played the NES Metal Gear game. You do agree that they're all-stars though, I'm sure. What I mainly meant is that "Wii Fit Trainer (female)" is less of a character and more of a tutorial. The flavor they went for is "anybody who does yoga." She's practically a member of the fighting polygon team. (and the other wtf characters are important parts of Nintendo history... I agree that ROB isn't a character)

I don't think any of the ones I listed are remotely "all-stars". Though that's a bit subjective for some of it...
WFT is certainly an odd choice, but it seems appropriate. Hell, if anybody thought of her before her reveal, a moveset could have easily have been made, which is a good thing. I don't think being important to Nintendo's history as a whole is really important to be a strange unexpected character. Just to be strange and unexpected. Wii Fit is played by a lot of out of shape people and it makes more sense to put her in the game than the actual balance board, and the addition of the balance board to the Wii peripherals seems like somewhat of a big deal to people... who aren't hardcore gamers.

While it's a matter of opinion, but I think the average gamer would consider Sonic as an all-star... He's a character that's almost universally recognized, so I'm going to say that objectively speaking, he's definitely an all-star. I also feel confident in saying that even people who use Wii Fit every day wouldn't think to add her to the game. I definitely am glad that she's in instead of the balance board, though. :p I liked ROB and G&W's inclusion because they felt like such unique additions... a paper thin shadow and an old-fashioned robot? Pretty cool. I still don't feel great about a glazed-over mannequin, but what can ya do. In the end, you're right- she does represent a part of Nintendo's market that is otherwise unrepresented in Smash.

Again, all of this would be entirely different if she wasn't introduced on the very first day. As it is, she is officially one of the things currently defining the next Smash Bros. game, and that just comes off as a "screw you, we don't want you to be happy" to fans.

Valid point. I like the character (a lot, actually), but it would have gone a LOT smoother if it wasn't revealed today, of all days. No worries, still very interesting and looks to be very viable in my future fights.
I mean, I suspect I'll like the character more after more characters have been revealed and I've cooled off a bit. I guess I really don't look at her and see "interesting and viable in future fights" so much as a one trick pony, where that trick is "amusing animations". I'll be curious to see her moveset in further detail, but I do strongly suspect it won't start doing anything novel.

It's not her animations that amused me, though. It's the fact she gets really low to the ground, and her attacks look like they'd have decent power behind them. But that's just me. I'll probably use her for humiliation purposes anyway :troll:
Heh, we'll see. Maybe we'll see increased footage for her before the week's over that exhibits her more interesting aspects. I'm actually a little thrown by how suddenly she moves from pose to pose... kind of freaky.

Long story short: MANNEQUINS ARE CREEPY. AHHHH!

Ah look at that, so colorful and pretty.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Remember kids, you can like a game and a person and still not agree with them unconditionally

WELM

Smash Cadet
If the best thing about this "character" is that she is unexpected, then her value ends as soon as the shock and horror of her inclusion is passed. If Reggie Fils-Aime was the unexpected character, he could have gotten the wii board and done some yoga stuff, and he would be everyone's favourite character because his body is ready. How I love that meme.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Google "wii fit" and see how far you have to scroll down before you see the girl in smash bros
That does not kill the ingenuity argument. All represent ways Nintendo tapped into a new audience with a hardware/software combination. I think the actual Wii Fit Scale would have annoyed people far more than the trainer.

peeup

Smash Lord
Remember kids, you can like a game and a person and still not agree with them unconditionally
I disagree with your opinions on WFT, but I couldn't agree more on this. Preach, my man.

That said, I think WFT was a smart choice. If Sakurai wanted to represent the Wii hardware, the only other viable choice would have been a Mii, and lots of people expressed their dislike of that idea. WFT on the other hand was too out-of-left-field to have any pre-reveal conceptions. Also Miis will probably find their way into the Villager alternate costumes anyway.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I'm pretty happy with this inclusion. I was wondering how the Wii series could be represented and I just figured Mii would do the job but ultimately I like this more.

As far as Nintendo things go that really changed gaming, then yeah, the Wii Fit Trainer deserves to be in over all the side characters from all the other series. Would I rather have Ridley over her if that was the ultimatum? Of course, but I can't deny that Wii Fit Trainer is worthy of a Smash inclusion.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Sakurai NEVER said the ROSTER will be the same, just the character NUMBER. So, yeah.

Also, not a huge fan, but I know she'll grow on me. WFT is WTF

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Just wait until Wii Fit Trainer is top tier. Then all the competitive players will be screaming that she was always their favorite Nintendo character from the very start when their Grandma gave the Wii Scale to them for college thinking it was a waffle maker. And how they made eighty threads about the Wii Fit Trainer before the new Smash, but the moderators (in a fury of unquenchable wrath) deleted them.

Just wait and see.

SubparSmashBrother

Smash Ace
No one who was undecided is now racing to buy the game now that Wii Fit Trainer was announced, I can tell you that.

Are you freaking kidding me? I was somewhat undecided about buying this game until I saw wii fit trainer. This character shows me that Sakurai isn't afraid to still go about things his own way and the early reveal shows me there's still other surprises in store. And honestly wii fit trainer is 100000x better than most of the crappy one off sidekick anime characters from **** games nobody ever played that get suggested around here daily. I'm actually really loving all 3 of the newcomers shown so far. Wii Fit Trainer gets a thumbs up from me, **** the haters

SirGalvan

Smash Journeyman
when I first read this I was like WHAT??!!???!!??

But after seeing some of her gameplay I am very psyched for her. She gives me a zero suit samus vibe to her gameplay but it might just be me. Her final smash looks very clever in my mind. After seeing them add her to the roster I am so intrigued on who else they will add.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I bet I'll see people comparing her to other wtf characters so if you'll allow me to explain why she is nothing like the rest

First in Melee we have Game and Watch, Nintendo's first foray into Handheld games and brainchild of the genius Gunpei Yokoi who is second only to Miyamoto in terms of creating everything you hold dear. The character is a tribute to what was the probably first major electronic success for Nintendo and lead to them actually creating video games.

Second in Brawl we have R.O.B., an add-on to the NES that arguably saved the North American video game industry by giving incentive to the first NES buyers. In the early 80s people had a bad taste in their mouths because of how ****ty Atari games had become, and Nintendo managed to avoid using the words Video Game and focused more on the Robot Toy included, it was only after Nintendo began pumping out all their NES classics that video games were no longer considered a fading fad.

Let's recap for a sec

Which brings us to Wii Fit Trainer, a placeholder graphic to make a daily fitness trainer look more interesting and not just be a bunch of numbers on a screen.

You're making the mistake of assuming ROB was a 'wtf' character. He wasn't unexpected like GAW was. There was a lot of support for him, especially since Mario Kart DS came out a year before the BRawl trailer and ROB was in that.

I think you're confusing 'wtf' with 'Retro.'

Also, to support her, keep in mind that her games are the 6th and 7th top selling Wii games, with Brawl in 8th, with each of her games selling twice as much as Brawl did. When someone brings in 43 million, and you're struggling to find some new IP's to include, it's certainly not a bad reason. Throw in she's bringing a certainly unique fighting style and a welcome increase to the female section of the roster, I'm quite excited to give her a shot.

That said, when I first heard about it my reaction was along the lines of

"Her?"

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
For literally 10 seconds, I was like "NOOOOO SO STUPID WTF!"

Then I saw the model and gameplay.

I'm glad she's in now :)

Hero_of_T1me_1997

Smash Apprentice
You're making the mistake of assuming ROB was a 'wtf' character. He wasn't unexpected like GAW was. There was a lot of support for him, especially since Mario Kart DS came out a year before the BRawl trailer and ROB was in that.

I think you're confusing 'wtf' with 'Retro.'

Also, to support her, keep in mind that her games are the 6th and 7th top selling Wii games, with Brawl in 8th, with each of her games selling twice as much as Brawl did. When someone brings in 43 million, and you're struggling to find some new IP's to include, it's certainly not a bad reason. Throw in she's bringing a certainly unique fighting style and a welcome increase to the female section of the roster, I'm quite excited to give her a shot.

That said, when I first heard about it my reaction was along the lines of

"Her?"
ROB was a wtf character. He was the reason no believed the 35 roster, because no on thought he'd be in

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
If you feel like searching the archives, people were suggesting him.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
I love the fact that the Wii Fit Trainer is going to become a character. Her moves also look very smooth and fast which will be fun to see how she does. This genuinely made me happy and also I cannot wait to see what other tricks may be up this game's sleeves.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Are you freaking kidding me? I was somewhat undecided about buying this game until I saw wii fit trainer. This character shows me that Sakurai isn't afraid to still go about things his own way and the early reveal shows me there's still other surprises in store. And honestly wii fit trainer is 100000x better than most of the crappy one off sidekick anime characters from **** games nobody ever played that get suggested around here daily. I'm actually really loving all 3 of the newcomers shown so far. Wii Fit Trainer gets a thumbs up from me, **** the haters
I was not considering the mentally ******** when I made that statement you'll have to excuse me

D

Deleted member

I was shocked after Wii Fit Trainer was confirmed playable. Afterwards, I don't bash against her because nobody wanted her. Fighting game developers are full of surprises.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
People kept saying they wanted a new trainer.
People kept saying they wanted balance.

Sakurai: I'll just throw them both in one and save time.

MrBigstuff

Smash Apprentice
I'll agree that the timing wasn't the best, and I was upset with WFTs announcement, but I don't mind her now that I've thought about it. The Wii series of games is one of the Nintendo's best selling franchises, plus she seems really unique and interesting.

For those saying she's not as important as the other WTF characters, Wii Sports and Wii Fit are major reasons the Wii outsold both the 360 and PS3. They put Wiis in NURSING HOMES for Pete's sake just for those games. I think it was a decent choice, not great, but still a funny curveball by Sakurai.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I was not considering the mentally ******** when I made that statement you'll have to excuse me
No need to get offensive dude.

It's.... not....good for your health! :troll:

In all seriousness, don't be a douchebag.

You're the love child of Gary Oak and Kraid. You're better than that.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
from now on when you use that face it is my duty to do this. I can't help my god given duty
Is that so?

:troll:

There you go. Gotta give you something to do.

Regardless, to get back on topic, we've seen what looks like a Volleyball and Hula Hoop special.

What do you guys think the other two are?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Let's recap for a sec

lol @believing people were running to buy Melee/Brawl because of ROB and Mr. Game & Watch

She's in the game, get over it, flat out.

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
I don't know why she reminds me of just having someone like Dan for the Street Fighter series. I hope someone gets ridiculously good with her to troll everyone.

Carlo_H.Luz

Smash Apprentice
One thing a lot of people should know. Smash bros is not a fan service game. I know no one ever requested her but I trust sakurai and his decisions. Also I think it wasnt only his decision. Bsmash games always represent the games of its generation. I think she can be a very well fighter. Villager moveset looks very powerful

Top Bottom