• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii Fit Trainer confirmed!

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
In the first video Sakurai says that 'he gets requests for characters from people all over the world, but this is someone no one was expecting'

...meaning that he'll most likely add some that we HAVE been expecting, which is what Im excited for.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I was referring to the likes who do get requested, but to a much lesser extend than most of the more popularly expected characters.

So they are still expected characters, heck even Duck Hunt Dog was more expected than Wii Fit Trainer.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
Do you guys remember that Sakurai uses action figures to imagine the characters moves?
Well just himagine how it was to do that for WFT...could his action figures even do that?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oh gosh Tumblr is such a headache full of imbecilic morons. Makes me want to hit myself with a hammer why I even bothered to make an account there.
Besides the stupid "Yu onleh haet her becuz she iz a wimmin" argument (where I still haven't seen anybody hating on her because of that) you also get people complaining about her that she is fat shaming and racist to non-whites.

Where is Habanero's Signature when you need it...?!? Ah here it is.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
What I think is kind of funny is that all of her fan art shows her with expressions when I'm fairly sure she absolutely always has a blank expression.

The art either shows her as pleasantly smiling, or...

... not.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Because of her we will not have a single heavy weight character this time D=
Some women, just want to watch the calories burn.

Smady

Smash Master
Simply have to weigh in on this... oh for... that was not an intentional pun.

My immediate reaction was disbelief and even seeing the final smash in GIF form I assumed it was an assist trophy, despite that making no logical sense. Because I really didn't want it to be true, but admittedly for fairly dumb reasons. There are a couple of facts that make this addition sensible.

Number one, she's the "main character" of one of the most popular new IPs by Nintendo, in fact one of the only new IPs by Nintendo in the last ten years. She's also a female and totally unsuspected by almost the literal entire internet. That is in a way impressive, though I can see how people may interpret Sakurai's comments as an attack on the core audience. For those who do, please respect that these were translated comments and just because he took the WTF factor into account, doesn't mean it was the number one reason.

Seeing the video and how unique she is sold me on the character better, she does seem like a good addition in terms of originality. There's no character remotely like that.

What also makes it a good pick is that it's clearly not a big slot that she takes up. The model is lower-res than others and the moveset is not flashy or complex in the slightest. By comparison, Villager plants trees and MegaMan has an arsenal of robot master weapons. Wii Fit Trainer has yoga and some very basic projectiles / special effects. Economically for Smash, as a couch game designer, it's probably not going to affect say, Ridley or K. Rool's chances.

In terms of the wider picture, I think this makes it clear that Sakurai is prepared to add literally any character if there is good enough reason to. I also really hope this is a sign we have quite a big roster, if Sakurai can throw a spot to a character like this. That is yet to be seen, but this is certainly an intriguing choice for the roster.

The question for me is really the roster, of course. I'd love if this character means we're getting a bigger roster than we thought. I really hope so!

vinson12

Smash Cadet
I think my interest level in this game just hit rock bottom, especially if some worth while character don't get in because of her, how pathetic is this.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I think my interest level in this game just hit rock bottom, especially if some worth while character don't get in because of her, how pathetic is this.
no characters AREN'T getting in because of her, that's just a bad excuse.

sakuri always tries to make a character that nobody expects. like game and watch, and R.O.B. I think it's fun.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
So if we ever get a Dojo or something similar for this game, how much you want to bet half the puns people have been making about her being balanced and people warming up to her and such will actually be in her character introduction. It's just too Sakurai to not happen.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
So if we ever get a Dojo or something similar for this game, how much you want to bet half the puns people have been making about her being balanced and people warming up to her and such will actually be in her character introduction. It's just too Sakurai to not happen.
I thought the site we have now counted as our Dojo.

But yeah, I agree. If it's not enough she shouts fitness tips while fighting, her introduction will be fitness puns and puns about balance.
I'm not complaining.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
I thought the site we have now counted as our Dojo.

But yeah, I agree. If it's not enough she shouts fitness tips while fighting, her introduction will be fitness puns and puns about balance.
I'm not complaining.
Well it kind of is but at the moment it lacks text so puns are not yet a possibility.

vinson12

Smash Cadet
Didn't Sakuri say at one point he didn't want to add many other characters? If that's true than its rather frightening that this was one of the additions over say Little Mac or Bowser Jr.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Didn't Sakuri say at one point he didn't want to add many other characters? If that's true than its rather frightening that this was one of the additions over say Little Mac or Bowser Jr.
I'm going to go on record and say I prefer WFT over either of those.
The other two wouldn't have made me laugh as much, both at the reveal and at other people's misery.

vinson12

Smash Cadet
I'm going to go on record and say I prefer WFT over either of those.
The other two wouldn't have made me laugh as much, both at the reveal and at other people's misery.

Why would you care about that? When I see character reveals I don't care whether or not I laugh I care about whether or not their characters I like and if they look cool this did neither, just an unimportant character that most people don't care about, I honestly thought it was a joke when I first saw it sadly I was mistaken. Little mac had a game recently and was an assist trophy in Brawl, and Bowser Jr has been in a lot of other Mario based games, the Wii fitness trainer has been in one casual family based game, she is not deserving of a spot over those two.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Why would you care about that? When I see character reveals I don't care whether or not I laugh I care about whether or not their characters I like and if they look cool this did neither, just an unimportant character that most people don't care about, I honestly thought it was a joke when I first saw it sadly I was mistaken. Little mac had a game recently and was an assist trophy in Brawl, and Bowser Jr has been in a lot of other Mario based games, the Wii fitness trainer has been in one casual family based game, she is not deserving of a spot over those two.
CALM DOWN, MAN, WFT is here to stay. besides, she was meant as a surprise character that nobody expected. she served her purpose perfectly.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I suppose my joke fell flat. :U

Of course I would support Little Mac and Bowser Jr., but if I was given the choice to drop WFT trainer to include either of the two, I wouldn't. I truly, sincerely admire her play-style as shown in the trailer. I can see myself using her as a character a whole lot, not just because I find her humorous, but because I feel like she could be viable in fights I may be in.

Besides, only three newcomers are revealed. Little Mac and Bowser Jr. might be revealed eventually. Don't know why everyone's jumping to "Oh she took a character slot now my favorite has less of a chance of making it in" conclusions.

vinson12

Smash Cadet
CALM DOWN, MAN, WFT is here to stay. besides, she was meant as a surprise character that nobody expected. she served her purpose perfectly.

She serves as Nintendo's attempt to promote their gimmicky casual games, to people who actually know what Nintendo is supposed to be.

vinson12

Smash Cadet
I suppose my joke fell flat. :U

Of course I would support Little Mac and Bowser Jr., but if I was given the choice to drop WFT trainer to include either of the two, I wouldn't. I truly, sincerely admire her play-style as shown in the trailer. I can see myself using her as a character a whole lot, not just because I find her humorous, but because I feel like she could be viable in fights I may be in.

Besides, only three newcomers are revealed. Little Mac and Bowser Jr. might be revealed eventually. Don't know why everyone's jumping to "Oh she took a character slot now my favorite has less of a chance of making it in" conclusions.

Their better be a whole lot more than three to make up for this garbage, trading Wii fit trainer for Bowser JR and Little would be almost like trading R.O.B for Megaman imo.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
She serves as Nintendo's attempt to promote their gimmicky casual games, to people who actually know what Nintendo is supposed to be.
Gimmicky casual game vs. Tool people actually use for its purpose.

Hm. Moving on;
I wonder what her taunts are going to be.

Their better be a whole lot more than three to make up for this garbage, trading Wii fit trainer for Bowser JR and Little would be almost like trading R.O.B for Megaman imo.
This is where I stop using logic to try and stop opinions from being flung at full force at people's faces and start saying "whatever floats your boat, man".

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Sakurai has absolute control over the roster. This isn't interference by Miyamoto or whoever. WFT makes an excellent surprise character, which was going to happen. Frankly, she is better than the Duck Hunt Dog or Sheriff, who were the people expected to take that role. She's better because she is a rep for Nintendo's modern hardware history. Like it or not, Wii Fit helped to define an entire generation. Giving it a representative in smash is highly sensible and interesting, and I wish I had thought of it first.

vinson12

Smash Cadet
Sakurai has absolute control over the roster. This isn't interference by Miyamoto or whoever. WFT makes an excellent surprise character, which was going to happen. Frankly, she is better than the Duck Hunt Dog or Sheriff, who were the people expected to take that role. She's better because she is a rep for Nintendo's modern hardware history. Like it or not, Wii Fit helped to define an entire generation. Giving it a representative in smash is highly sensible and interesting, and I wish I had thought of it first.

We don't need one of those, why would we? And if they were going to put someone like her in at least wait until after other important characters have been revealed.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
We don't need one of those, why would we? And if they were going to put someone like her in at least wait until after other important characters have been revealed.
good job making logical unbiased opinions on characters you don't like, btw.

*sarcasm*

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
In terms of character slots, it's not a matter of how many characters they can add being limited(they've got pleeeeenty of disk space), it's a matter of their development time being limited, and as people have said before, WFT trainer probably didn't take nearly as long to make as other characters and should be relatively easy to balance. They may very well have had a roster list already planed out and then gone "and what the heck, we can probably fit WFT in there too". I've never been a fan of the whole "character slot" complaint but it makes less sense here than it ever has. It'd be slightly more reasonable if people were complaining about someone like Megaman who probably took a lot of time to develop and will be a nightmare to properly balance.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Why does it really matter what order they're revealed in if they're all in the same game anyway?

vinson12

Smash Cadet
Why does it really matter what order they're revealed in if they're all in the same game anyway?

You reveal the characters people have asked for first and then a surprise one that no one expected later, seems pretty simple to me. Makes me question whether or not the dev's are listening to the fans revealing characters no one has asked for, yes Megaman was highly requested but he wasn't the only one.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
You reveal the characters people have asked for first and then a surprise one that no one expected later, seems pretty simple to me. Makes me question whether or not the dev's are listening to the fans revealing characters no one has asked for, yes Megaman was highly requested but he wasn't the only one.
For the love of god.

Sakurai even stated he added her knowing nobody specifically begged on their hands and knees for her to be in the game like everyone does for every other character.

I'm sorry their method of hyping up their game which is inevitably going to be very well selling regardless like every other game in the same series isn't the way you imagined, champ.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
There always has been one, and I generally like them. I learn something new. G&W is my main.
I do agree she shouldn't have been revealed so early though.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion

Psychology and hype building!

... but, no, on a deep, fundamental level, it won't matter in the end. But it will seem deeply important from now until the game's released. :)

I'm excited to see what they do with her... I wonder if we'll be getting any more footage of her soon.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Psychology and hype building!

... but, no, on a deep, fundamental level, it won't matter in the end. But it will seem deeply important from now until the game's released. :)

I'm excited to see what they do with her... I wonder if we'll be getting any more footage of her soon.
I'm excited to see your current opinion of her seems significantly different from our rainbow text wall thing yesterday.

vinson12

Smash Cadet
Well I'm sorry I don't feel the same way you guys do, as of right now I absolutely loathe her, that could change as time goes on but I kind of doubt it. I would of preferred an unknown character from an older series to Wii fit trainer, just strikes me as extremely gimmicky which unfortunately is what Nintendo is turning into.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I'm excited to see your current opinion of her seems significantly different from our rainbow text wall thing yesterday.

Bah, don't be! I even made a moveset for the dreaded Tingle. My interest in how a character would play doesn't mean my support! :p

Grumble grumble, silly Wii Fit Trainer, grumble. Being all silly and stuff...

In all seriousness, my main problem is that they clearly shouldn't have lead with her for a number of reasons. My other gripe, that her moveset isn't super interesting, is kind of a dumb one until we've actually seen more of her, so I eagerly await more footage. :D

@Vinson
Edit: I think it's entirely likely that we're also going to get at least one sort of obscure retro character. The board's favorites seem to be Mach Rider and Takamaru, but who knows what's gonna happen.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Bah, don't be! I even made a moveset for the dreaded Tingle. My interest in how a character would play doesn't mean my support! :p

Grumble grumble, silly Wii Fit Trainer, grumble. Being all silly and stuff...

In all seriousness, my main problem is that they clearly shouldn't have lead with her for a number of reasons. My other gripe, that her moveset isn't super interesting, is kind of a dumb one until we've actually seen more of her, so I eagerly await more footage. :D
I know when I person has a guilty pleasure, and yours is the succulent Miss Wii Fit, wink wonk.

I stand by my "I don't care which order they're revealed anymore, they're all ending up in the same game" stance.
Yesterday I did agree with you though.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
whenever something makes me go WTF!??!!, I instantly love it.

unless it's disturbing.

Top Bottom