• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii Controller Or GC Controller?

Ezzcrits

Smash Rookie
Which is better, i know most ppl pick GC but i wanna know if you can still go pro with Wii.

TL?

Smash Ace
You can be good with either one, but the GC is reccomended. MLG does not allow wiimotes at their tournaments so you may not be able to "go pro" with a wiimote.

Ezzcrits

Smash Rookie
You can be good with either one, but the GC is reccomended. MLG does not allow wiimotes at their tournaments so you may not be able to "go pro" with a wiimote.
Oh ok wow thanks i didnt know that wiimotes arent allowed. Off to gamestop to get a GC Control.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
opmg no wiimotes? wth its a WII GAME why on earth would they not let the wiimote be used? D:

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
They claim the wireless interferes with their blutooth devices.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
If you can get a GC controller, that's the best option as long as it is first party, or close to it. You don't want any clanky buttons, and MLG also banned controllers with a turbo button, so be on the lookout for those too.

1st Party GC > Classic or Wiichuck > Crappy 3rd Party GC > Wiimote sideways.

Damage Points

Smash Ace
go with whatever works best for you. i used to use classic controller but started using the GC a few months back and now its all i can use. and yes you can be good with the wiimote if you put the time into it. you wont be able to play at MLG tournies but most smaller state tourney's do allow the wiimote so its not that big of a deal. just go with what is comfortable for you.

HotWings

Smash Ace
Its whatever you feel best with. All i can use now is GC controller because ive been useing it for like 5+ years (the same one lol)

Oh and what is wrong with having a GC controller with a turbo button on it? Mine has that on it but idk what it does >_<

cheeseball540

Smash Cadet
yeah same thing here ive been getting pretty good with a wii controller but my friend has been wanting for me to get the gc controller because you can do more things with it soo i guess the gc controller would be the best choice

D

Deleted member

Most people will be biased and say GC because thatIs what theyAre used to. Either is fine, i like them both a lot. Although i like Wii controllers (more specificly classic controllers) a little more because i hate the handles on the GC, and itIs small and simple, and all you have to do to get one is go to the store, when with GC controllers you have to look all over the place even for a used one with broken buttons. Only problem is Wii controllers are banned frum MLG tournaments for some crazy reason.

D1337

Smash Apprentice
A friend of mine plays with the Wiimote which confuses me a little because he plays Melee with the GC (and he's better in Melee than Brawl) Mind games 9_6

D

Deleted member

A friend of mine plays with the Wiimote which confuses me a little because he plays Melee with the GC (and he's better in Melee than Brawl) Mind games 9_6
I can easily switch between normal CC, CCP, GCC, and Wiimote, itIs easy, you just have to practice like crazy with them. I do it all the time.

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
If you can get a GC controller, that's the best option as long as it is first party, or close to it. You don't want any clanky buttons, and MLG also banned controllers with a turbo button, so be on the lookout for those too.

1st Party GC > Classic or Wiichuck > Crappy 3rd Party GC >A Dead turtle> Wiimote sideways.
fixed that, sideways wiimote is garbage and only fun if you moneymatch someone wiimote vs GC

perfectionless

Smash Rookie
I use GC Controller unless I have friends over then I go with the Nunchuk since I only have 2 GC's and the # of friends I have over is 2 (Being the generious kinda guy I am, I give them the GC controllers)

iProdigy101

Smash Apprentice
For Smash vets, GC FTW! It's stil possible to go pro on the WiiMote, but a good 99.9% of the competitive Smash players uses the standard GC controller, and I'm one of them. :)

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I like using the GameCube controller for all three Smash Bros. games. At first it seemed a little weird using it for Super Smash Bros. 64 Virtual Console but now it feels completely natural.

I’ve tried using the Classic Controller for Brawl but it just never works out for me. Eventually I’ll pick up a CC Pro and see if that’s any better.

MrBlueSky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RowdyRags
why the *** would you want to press A and up smash at the same time? there is no reason

Um, up on control pad is jump >_> And I like to shffl on Brawl+. I customized the controls though. Now have B as jump and Z as special. Works preety well. Though sometimes I forget that I have it like that and try and press b for recovery.

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
setting the d-pad as a c-stick is pretty much the only way of using the wiichuck, its the best thing it has over the GC

when i used it, i had tap jump on, C set to shield, Z to grab, B jump, A attack, d-pad is c-stick
and i could pretty much do all the technical **** diddy had

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Two years into Brawl (one of the best games for the Wii) and two years into the Wiimote. Two days into the GC controller (ZOMG), and I'm sad the Wiimote isn't for official tourneys. I'd have loved to see how I'd do in a decently competitive environment against a GC controller on my Wiimote.

:(

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I don't know anybody who can go pro with Sidemote, but i've seen people use the Wii-Chuck just as efficiently as someone with the GC controller.
Most of them with Wiichuck have a special Configuration; I dont know many good Chuck users that don't have their controller configured. Mainly to do GC ATs like DACUS or Glide Tossing.

ludvigpasse

Smash Cadet
im not a pro, but i consider myself a pretty good jigglypuff player, been playing since the game came out, but only been in one small tournament, came halfway Using jigglypuff. And yea you can do all the teqnical **** with wiichuck. Ive set the upp and down arrows 2 smashes so i can DACUS and tap jump off. I actually think that theres a few advantages with the wiichuck. Like its easier 2 play without using tapjump since you always have 1 finger at the jump buttom. The only downside i can see with wiichuck is when using IC you wont be able to do a FAIR-Smash with nana while grabbing someone beacuse that buttom is for grabbing. Unless you set it for FAIR-Smash and grab with a+b or something.

daisythirdeyeW33

Smash Apprentice
My favorite is the Classic controller. But I'm thinking of getting that Classic Controller Pro (I think that's what it's called) It looks comfy to hold.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
My friend had a Gamestop GC-ish conroller (3rd party) which he broke. Now he wants to know if he should buy the CC Pro or the GC controller. Based on reading through this thread, I'm undecided what to tell him. Advice?

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Get a GC controller. There is no contest. CC Pro will never replace the GC controller as the standard. For extra incentive, tell him he wouldn't be able to even use the CC Pro at any MLG hosted event regardless.

WB40

Smash Apprentice
I use the Wiimote, actually. I think that it is just easier to control, and probably because before I had a Wii I had a PS3.

Bleck

Smash Master
I use the Classic Controller. It's not that much different from the GC controller, and it's wireless.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I must say I'm greatly at odds with these people championing the GC controller. I use a Classic Controller Pro, and I must say that in every way it is superior, once you switch your shoulder buttons accordingly.

Top Bottom