• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WI Thread

Mundungu

Smash Lord
I got a 1.194555555. John, play an aggressive fox, it will do wonders for reaction times.

I always used the duel mini game in Kirby Super Star for testing. That game is legit.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
220 to 230 ms for me. Honestly it doesn't matter at all. 225 ms is still like 14 frames, and that's for pure reaction, no decision making involved. If you actually played smash based off of pure reaction time you would only be able to react to things that take more than 14 frames to happen, and you wouldn't be able to make any decisions. Also i think that 190 ms for average reaction time for college student is probably a bit low.
john, improving your reaction time would probably not help you in smash. You just get overrun by spacies because you don't know how to deal with them.

ORLY

Smash Master
john there's also a big difference to reacting to something you're expecting vs. being completely blind-sided

you play peach, so try and space yourself to bait out a specific response. when they do it, boom. you look like a ****ing psychic.

and if they don't? adjust. try to react to what they're doing rather that what you're trying to suggest them to do. that's why you have four stocks

EDIT: i'll MM anyone in any mini-game that involves hitting a button really fast i.e. some mario party mini-games or maybe there's one in kirby, i forget

john!

Smash Hero
I got a 1.194555555. John, play an aggressive fox, it will do wonders for reaction times.

I always used the duel mini game in Kirby Super Star for testing. That game is legit.
holy **** LMAO i think i remember that game

and yeah i know reaction time doesn't mean that much

but i'm looking for unconventional ways to improve

because my improvement has been pretty stagnant compared to most of madison

and how are you guys getting scores above 1... that's not even possible

ORLY

Smash Master
don't get us wrong; it means a lot

but it's not the end-all-be-all way to improve

you gotta have it in your head before you have it in your hands

vintage

Smash Cadet
Eh, from what I've read the average human reaction time is about 215ms, but that's taking all genders and ages into consideration. I did see a research paper from Clemson university quoting 190ms for college-age individuals, which is probably what you read. The same paper said that reaction time for sound stimulus was 160ms.

I took the visual reaction time tests and averaged around 270ms, but when I took auditory tests my reaction time was around 240ms. Same difference between visual and sound stimuli, just slower than average. :)

Next time you're playing just turn the volume up and you'll be a pro in no time, hah.

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
In the Mario Party minigame where you mash A for 10 seconds I get 80-112 depending on what finger method I use. I'm pretty sure that beats most people.

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
In the Mario Party minigame where you mash A for 10 seconds I get 80-112 depending on what finger method I use. I'm pretty sure that beats most people.
i know somebody who can get 150+

i get like 115. i think 100 is average.

also my reaction time is 200ms

also, melee has so many ****ing options that I cannot be good if I dont constantly practice lol

sanchaz

Smash Lord
justin wongs reaction time is pretty slow, but he is a god at what he does because he reacts to what he sees coming. m2k is also pretty slow

lmao, imagine having level 9 cpu reaction time.

john: I don't react to the things you do, I take your most predictable option and punish. that's what I do 90% of the time. I think if you want to get better, you need to move fast with peach, like armarda fast.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
I put my thumb and index finger together and rub them back and forth from B to A to mash quickly. Idk how much better/worse it is than plain mashing because I suck at plain mashing.

Mundungu

Smash Lord
John you're stagnating because you rarely try new things during friendlies and never change your playstyle. You need to focus on mixing up your game more than winning when you're just playing friendlies.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
It's not a terrible idea, but I'd rather DI the throw. Plus they can just throw once they hear you mashing and get free DI if they have a quick throw.

matt is like the only smasher I know that mashes while grabbed in tournament when not playing against ICs. He also mashed SDI against me in falco dittos when I was pillaring him on FD a couple tournaments ago, it definitely threw me off.

I meant just pushing more buttons more quickly in general which can include the control stick. I suppose recognizing when you can get away with mashing out or not as well.

As spacies, low percent pummels are pretty pointless and they profit more off of bad DI on throws. But as Marth and Sheik, pummels are more useful (even though they can also go for bad DI). When you do only about 4% per throw as Marth, you have a lot more chance for mistake on the CG when you need about 10x grabs to start an Utilt chain into following DI. Doing a pummel that does about 2% means you only need 6x grabs in the CG before you can start an Utilt chain. Similar to Sheik where she needs to tech chase at lower percents with Dthrow on certain characters before they are at high enough percent to combo into her aerials, tilts. Pummels again reduce the amount of tech chases needed.

Sheik's throws are also a lot slower than spacies or marth, so its a lot easier to break away from rotating the control stick into a direction of DI once you see the animation for a throw. At higher percents its sort of pointless to mash out since it takes too long to mash out then. But someone doing even a single pummel at you under 40% means you can get out before they get the throw off. Then, there are similar analogies with other characters when it comes to either go for bad DI on a throw perhaps throw in a pummel to reduce work. It can even simply be a habit of someone to pummel once or twice every grab.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
there's no real excuse to ever miss the spacie cg as marth. You have like a full second to react to 3 DI choices, and below 20% or so they really only have 2 choices cuz you can grab DI away without moving. Doing a pummel so you need less grabs is dumb because they can mash out whereas the cg is guaranteed damage.

Skipping pummeling with other characters also keeps pressure. When sanchaz decides to pummel me a couple times before techchasing with sheik I have time to collect my thoughts and decide what he's not covering. Throwing quickly makes them tech/react more predictably.

Some won't drop it and others will. For those that do drop it, they could be either slow at reacting and therefore always rely on anticipation of a particular DI choice or falling into a habit of doing the same thing. For them, there is incentive to pummel. For me, its easier for me to notice the DI away option in either direction rather than slight DI behind vs no DI.

In either case, there is incentive to try going for pummels on occasion. Is it the best choice, no. But I see people get away with it a lot since I assume they never practiced breaking out of grabs faster at lower percents.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
there's no real excuse to ever miss the spacie cg as marth. You have like a full second to react to 3 DI choices, and below 20% or so they really only have 2 choices cuz you can grab DI away without moving. Doing a pummel so you need less grabs is dumb because they can mash out whereas the cg is guaranteed damage.

Skipping pummeling with other characters also keeps pressure. When sanchaz decides to pummel me a couple times before techchasing with sheik I have time to collect my thoughts and decide what he's not covering. Throwing quickly makes them tech/react more predictably.
your second point is flawed. play against a sheik main that can cover any option, regardless what you do, its only human error that I mess up. they are also friendlies.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
Erik: You give your opponent an option when previously they had no choice but to take damage, that is an unreliable strategy and should not be used in place of a reliable one if you want to win.
Also, I don't believe any smasher is too slow to react to the DI.

Sanchaz: Whether or not sheik can cover every option is irrelevant to the point that giving a player more time to think makes them less readable. I guess bad example.

Mundungu

Smash Lord
Is anyone going to the Chicago tourney this weekend that are gonna be in Madison? Frank and Sanchaz, you guys are going to be in Milwaukee right?

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
yeah I'm going home in an hour until sunday. I might show at the tourney anyway, but I'll drive myself. I should see if quaz wants to carpool again =)

sanchaz

Smash Lord
welcome bets, glad your here, don't lose to lonejedi otherwise I won't talk to you.........anyways, I like to announce something very important to the upcoming game ULTIMATE MARVEL VS CAPCOM 3 will be coming up and there will be SOME nerfs on a particular character *cough cough* MUNDUNGU cough, excuse me.

it just so happens that wolverine will be nerfed...I'm sorry did I say nerfed, I meant to say completely trash. I'm so happy , no more beserker slash, less mobility, and now wolverine mains will actually have to "think" when playing. no more 5 year old rush techniques for him, :)

zero and dante on the other hand have been upgraded...tears. This could not have make me any happier. I have waited a long, LONGGGGGGGGG time for this moment, and all I have to say to mundungu is...are you mad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtKOnKPX_Zo

GOD DAMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Top Bottom