• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WI Thread

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
i lead with taunt/explosion electrode then send in mean look/taunt/yawn/baton pass umbreon

unless they send in their phazer to deal with umbreon... they ain't goin nowhere :cool:
I lke that. Usually people just lead with spore/sub Smeargle and I switch in Hippowdon/Skarmory and laugh, but with the Umbreon you can fairly reliably get them stuck with a sleeping poke and OHKO their phazer with Scizor.

@Exarch:Ban kongo jungle.

@Anyone: I hate how long it takes to mess around with texture hack files sorting.

@Anyone:Is Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
252 Atk/Spe; 4 HP
Earthquake
Rock Slide
Taunt
Stealth Rock
a bad lead? I honestly cannot tell. Sometimes it works, other times it fails.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I feel that brawl gives too many defensive options to the point that approaching is always bad choice. As a result, when I think of top level brawl matches, I picture 2 characters standing at opposite sides of the stage lobbing projectiles at each other trying to convince the other to approach by saying such phrases as "come at me bro!" and "show me your moves!". My brain says this isn't really how brawl matches go down, but in my heart I believe it to be true.

edit: still working on how metaknight fits into all that. Also, turns out the match in my head has already been played and put on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QijsuAnngSY.

@xeylode: is your sig a reminder to yourself on which characters to play when you play smash bros?
Pretty sure from the smiley face and the taunt at the beginning the match was a joke and not serious.

Culvers

Smash Apprentice
Pretty sure from the smiley face and the taunt at the beginning the match was a joke and not serious.
pretty sure apart from the first line at the beginning my post was a joke and not serious.

Edit: Exarch that match was ****. only 3 stocks total off in 8 minutes, they wouldn't have finished if they played with 3 stocks like brawl. Tournament matches seem super fun.;)

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
@ Erik:
Nothing terribly wrong with KJ64. It usually serves as a good counterpick for ganon/cf, and plays badly for fox. Dennis just kept guess shinobi would attack him if he got close enough and spent a lot of the match trying to bait peach into waveland off 2nd jump aerials. he could have been more aggressive and it probably would have made the match better. Plus we don't ban a stage because one character ***** another there, we ban when one character ***** everyone there. Fox might be able to try the same thing but i don't think it will work against the likes of falco cf sheik.

@ Anyone:
Also I loved my Bastiodon lead (which is very much like the aerodactyl in sometimes it's amazing sometimes it's trash.)
Luvs Bastiodon @ Leftovers
252 HP 252 Def I think.. or it might've been 186 Def something like that, with the rest on Special D. 0EVs speed.
Metal Burst
Stone Edge
Stealth Rock
Roar
Strat was simple: If it looked like it had an unstabbed Fighting or Ground move, Metal Burst. Which would return for a OHKO. Bastiodon's defense is too thick to be killed by an unstab/nonchoiceband Karate(K)/Underground(U) attack. Against Taunters throw a Stone Edge, which never ohko's taunters but that doesn't matter since they usually wear focus sash, allows a kill in two hits usually (against the common taunters like Azelf (iirc) and Aerodactyl. Against stall leads stealth rock and roar to scout/passive damage.

Problem 1 was that if you took a big EQ or K-move, bastiodon lost most of his health, and can be revenge KOd pretty easily afterward. But it was still hilarious to see Metagross leads and spam Metal Burst until they tried their Earthquake assuming you die but turning the damage on themselves instead. Same thing happens with Tyranitar. Usually what would happen is I'd see a stall lead and Stealth Rock/Roar, and keep doing it until someone scary came out. Then I'd metal burst and usually OHKO them but at that point Bastiodon's pretty much done for the game. If you can get him out of there without too much HP loss, he makes a great late game wall.

Biggest problem is that once people know about it all they have to do is weaker attacks first to take a chip or two off Bastiodon before taking 75% of his health in that final blow, so the strat really shouldn't work. Attack boosting moves also work.

But it's a fun lead.

I meant in we never play on it period to avoid that sort of thing from happening. Same with dream land. Smaller the stage, the better. Yoshi Island or nothing at all. lol

sanchaz

Smash Lord
after sleeping forever I checkz the internet to see I missed the wisconsin tier list for stages, keep it up wisconsin. smash this weekend, quinkfest maybe. my situation is going to be in milwaukee for now.

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
Pokefloats is "I beat sanchez in tournament" tier lol.

Bastiodon lead looks solid, a KO and and a stealth Rock is great for a lead to do.

Aerodactyl is a good lead against stall pokemon (except Foretress) and a terrible one against stuff that sets up. It's mostly used if you have other pokemon on your team that can't afford stealth rock to be set up, such as Charizard.

Mundungu

Smash Lord
That's a pretty good stage list. The only problem I have is Dreamland on low tier?! Even worse is its below Stadium??!?!

Everything else is quite accurate though.

It goes by both names.
Yoshi's Island
Yoshi's Story
:awesome:

Besides, I love this stage now because I realized that on the inner platforms I can tipper fsmash people before they can tech :3

john!

Smash Hero
^ exactly. whenever i get platform camped on dream land or something, i think to myself "this wouldn't be happening to me on fd". on fd you move towards them and they HAVE to respond, they can't wuss out and start frolicking on platforms and ****.

i can see why spacies would hate fd though. they can just get wrecked by like half the cast lol. but they deserve it imo :awesome:

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
I like being able to run away to the platforms to dodge lasers, and wavelanding is fun. Plus, if you knock someone onto a platform you'll be able to easily follow up no matter where they tech.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Yoshi's island is usually considered to be the pipes level, which has been banned since like 2006. (although it's usually just called "pipes")

Matt you can be on the panel during the next season. Frank too.

There's a reason FD is "john tier." and lol at spacies getting 'wrecked' on FD. It might be their worst stage in some matchups, but they don't get wrecked anywhere. John and Jason are not allowed on the panel, until they start agreeing with us/me.

I like being able to run away to the platforms to dodge lasers, and wavelanding is fun. Plus, if you knock someone onto a platform you'll be able to easily follow up no matter where they tech.
QFMFT. Platform camping is pretty good, but they add an ENORMOUS amount of depth to the game.

If you don't like platforms go play a traditional fighter.

Also I think I need to stay on my smash hiatus for another week or two.

EDIT: Go there to see Vectorman's recent combo video. Mind may asplode.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=295055

Platforms are a love hate thing. You love them for getting combos off of people with them, but you curse them when you get stuck on platforms and cannot get off quickly enough. Now, if only I would stop missing my chance to KO people at low percents, or combo into a kill move at mid percents instead of constantly comboing past those percents into 150%+ range where no one dies.

john!

Smash Hero
whatever sink let's make our own stage list

top tier:
jungle *****
mute city
icicle ****ing mountain
fd

high tier:
fountain of johns
dk64
mk2 with dr mario music
floats

mid tier:
dream land
bf
krooz
brinstar

low tier:
pipes
onett
mk2 without dr mario music
corneria

this stage is seriously dumb because it has smiley *** clouds that pop out and save your unworthy ***, tier:
ys

Quaz

Smash Master
exarch you need to get your *** to another MW tourney and go to smashing grounds next week.

who else wants to go that? Sync and I are driving, looks like culvers is in with us

can sanchaz go? how about spikes? exarch and mundunguu have to go too.

it would be nice to get 2 cars of 4 people to go.

chansen

Smash Lord
just dyed my hair tealish, on the way to full on anime blue (secret dream of mine).

Makes me want to go to something just to show you guys...

edit:

I hate all the stages except FD.
^ exactly. whenever i get platform camped on dream land or something, i think to myself "this wouldn't be happening to me on fd". on fd you move towards them and they HAVE to respond, they can't wuss out and start frolicking on platforms and ****.

i can see why spacies would hate fd though. they can just get wrecked by like half the cast lol. but they deserve it imo :awesome:
Am I the only one who loves FD?
I would re-read those quotes above your quote.

Culvers

Smash Apprentice
oh sink, we just have to think a little more instead of relying on the fact that we always have a hitbox out.
I had fun playing you for like 8 hours straight.

I need to counter more against you guys. I remember a few times when I threw counter out 3-4 times in a row and you guys either Naired right into it or Daired it again and again. Those flying hitboxes, abuse them.

chansen

Smash Lord
protip: take a HUGE break from melee, get intoxicated in various ways and come back sober as the day you were born. It does wonders.

chansen. yes. this is why i miss WI smash.

xeylode. yes. i come up every now and again to visit old friends. you ask because you wana play next time?
Yes. But, I am only here during the fall/spring semester. Plus I hope you have a set-up lol It turns out my family recycled the TV I was going to bring to college.

Top Bottom