• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WI Thread

sanchaz

Smash Lord
mundungu: I really like positive force form pppppp (ending theme) and a couple others on their, but meat boy still wins, and me/fruit loop would like to go to minnesota, oops, I forgot to ask him if he wanted to go on saturday, I'll ask him later.

to all, why do men make more money then women, its my 10 page paper. and yes I'm willing to accept all ideas.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
mundungu: I really like positive force form pppppp (ending theme) and a couple others on their, but meat boy still wins, and me/fruit loop would like to go to minnesota, oops, I forgot to ask him if he wanted to go on saturday, I'll ask him later.

to all, why do men make more money then women, its my 10 page paper. and yes I'm willing to accept all ideas.
Because we are stronger and more intelligent

sanchaz

Smash Lord
Well, how about that the only math women are good at are related to the mixing of ingrediants for our food?

Or that they are terrible unless it involves cooking, cleaning, or having sex?
thats the same thing pretty much, and you forgot making sandwiches

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Maternity leave is probably the biggest reason men are paid more than women (and deserve to be paid more.)
If a woman is married then hiring her is riskier than hiring a man of the same qualifications, due to the fact that a woman is considerably more likely to get pregnant and take maternity leave. Women are also more likely to take that as an opportunity to stop working altogether and become homemakers. This risk of losing an employee is not nearly as large as for men, which is why they are paid "more."

(The problem with "more" is that while an absolute scale it may be true, on a relative scale depending on the study you look at, women have been shown to receive higher compensation for their qualifications and associated risks...)
-----------------
Also y'all should try cotton guard ampharos, he looks like he could be a pretty sick wall with that as a starting point. It's just a shame he doesn't get calm mind. :-/ I like theorymon.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
hmmmm, very true exarch/lightsoutace. I can for sure go in depth with that arguement and make it last at least a page more, thx guys!

@Exarch:
Welcome back. We will be getting our first "meeting" done this week.
I do not think Ampharos with cotton guard would make the best wall. In order to be a good wall it has to waste a turn on setting up with cotton guard in order to do that. It has horrible speed and low defence, so it would get hit pretty hard before making its defence pretty huge.

@Ryan:
Well, I always keep reading about how our society developed as a partiarchal society. So, when women finally started getting into the work force this status quo of patriarchy was challenged.

I believe you all remember reading about how men oppposed women joining the work force saying things like "it is not right for a women to do a man's job." Those sort of things. While these things are not typically spoken aloud anymore and it is more commonly accepted for a women to do varoius jobs that were once labeled as being for men, there might still be some underlying bias against women one might say. I think this is mostly feminist theory.

Anyway, I am not quiet convinced that this is a large contribution to why the pay is different, but it might be a topic to bring up in your paper. Exarch/Ace's point makes more sense from a business standpoint.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Yea Ryan if you want to cheese out and just go for length, there's plenty of feminist ideas and complaints to go from, like what Erik suggested. If I was in your shoes, I'd probably assume that's what the professor is looking for in the paper and just write it with those opinions.

Erik: Oh, I've been lurking on the threads constantly, I just don't always feel it's necessary to post. Ampharos wouldn't be the best wall (ignoring the one turn setup he still lacks a good recovery option,) but the point would be to switch in on those you scare out. His biggest problem traditionally has been having ground types switch and outspeed OHKO with an earthquake, but cotton guard removes that problem, by increasing his defense 250% on the switch. With Thunderbolt and HPIce, he'd do some damage to the other team even without reliable recovery. Fill in the fourth spot with Focus Blast/Fire Punch/one of his many support options, and I think he looks surprisingly usable. I'm still confused why he doesn't have tail glow, since his tail powers a ****ing lighthouse in GSC. >_>

Well, the 5th generation solves that ground weakness with an item called air balloon. It makes your pokemon immune to ground attacks until it gets hit, then the balloon pops. I guess ampharos could make a good surprise pokemon.

Zicore

Smash Champion
Maternity leave is probably the biggest reason men are paid more than women (and deserve to be paid more.)
If a woman is married then hiring her is riskier than hiring a man of the same qualifications, due to the fact that a woman is considerably more likely to get pregnant and take maternity leave.
If a woman is married then hiring her is riskier than hiring a man of the same qualifications, due to the fact that a woman is considerably more likely to get pregnant and take maternity leave.
considerably more likely to get pregnant
I certainly hope it is more then "considerably" :D

john!

Smash Hero
I recall a match in the server once where a pokemon got hit by stealth rock and did not break the balloon. Something to wonder about I guess.

Also, does anyone know of any videos older than 2004?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3rIIq_WQLc&feature=channel_video_title
This is about one of the oldest matches I could find. Then comparing it to now...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt9i8QjAeCc&feature=channel_video_title
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-xSNzYqHGg

yoshq

Smash Master
LOL, this video is amazing for so many reasons. rolf at Azen being a link scrub, jigglypuff being better than half the jigglypuff players today, items being on very low, and the ending was too good. First ever mind game!
this is what got me excited about falco too. and i still have both of the songs on that vid.

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
The vid that got me back into Melee after having not played for a long time was The Knee, a comedy video about how badass the knee is. Then I saw the Wombo Combo and started watching TheWaffle's channel.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
silentspectre inspire me to play falcon, winning inspire me to play fox. which might explain why my style is so jankee

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
The closest thing I have to someone inspiring me was back when I mained marth when I started playing again in 05 (I swear I wasn't a tier *****, I thought marth was awesome when the game came out and hadn't played since '01) and James Sparrow chaingrabbed me as mario. I thought 'wow I didn't know he could do that, thats really cool' and started looking at other characters. I was equally torn between Yoshi, DK, and Dr. Mario, and I thought dmar was really fun so I started maining him. I swear to god I would have mained yoshi if he could jump out of shield *sigh*

Tomotoya

Smash Apprentice
The vid that got me back into Melee after having not played for a long time was The Knee, a comedy video about how badass the knee is. Then I saw the Wombo Combo and started watching TheWaffle's channel.
This and Shined Blind really set the stage for me, though discovering stuff like the RoM finals and such helped as well.

1)Grew-up on smash64 playing Link. Quit playing eventually.
2)Melee came out and was addicted to it at first. Never knew about the in-depth portion of the game. Played link.
3)Stopped playing again for like the whole time melee was at its biggest.
4)Brawl came in with wifi and the chance to play other people who wanted to play well.
5)Came here and got pooped on by the brawl hate (use the term lightly).
6)Got hooked on melee to solve my problems in life.

My scrub story.

G

genkaku

super scrub story
I've played people better than me a total of 3 times. Most fun I've ever had with a game.

Top Bottom