• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why you play as Mario?

-PM-

Smash Ace
i know how to defend that strategy =]

btw Eggz music for his combo video is the most bad4ss song iv ever heard end of discussion =]

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
#1 He's Nintendo's poster-child, so should be the star of a Nintendo character fighting game

#2 He's got a wide variety of techniques, none so broken as to make every player use him the same way - Spikes, capes, walljumps, angles, and great combos and chainthrowing.

In my opinion, he is the most diverse character to play, and therefore the most entertaining.

FaceFaceMcFace

Smash Ace
and i think that lumber jack thing would work lol
Nah, their hands would probably be too large.

I don't have a stereotypical mental image of lumberjacks, no sir.

Also, what Phanna said are indeed spiffy reasons to play Mario; and it has made me want to answer the question more seriously. XD

While Phanna's second point is certainly a reason for me, another is tech skill; which I am fairly limited in due to physical restraints. Thus a character that takes a somewhat low amount of tech skill such as Mario fits me rather well.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
That made me imagine two angry lumberjacks playing smash in a bar while grunting all manly-like.

I would love to see either that or the proposed mario-man vs. KevinM moneymatch. If that ever happens KevinM, you should try to use nothing but the fortress and the Klaw.
Nah dude those moves suck i only use the Bowser Bomb

Yoshistar64

Smash Journeyman
Meh, I'll reply anyway.

Why would I play as Mario? Well, not long before I used Mario. His Jump Attacks are decent. Jump A (Mario facing opponent) is a deadly Meteor Smash move. I used it more, though, for the combos. If it's linked with a few other moves, it's an instant kill (or at least almost). Mario Tornado makes for a good moving shield when used right, because you can set something up by doing so. His Up A move is pointless. It doesn't go that far to help you recover from a fall. Fireballs make for decent projectiles, and the cape is a good repellant for other projectiles. In fact, the cape may be more useful in surviving from a fall than the Up A move because he stays in that spot in air for a second.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Meh, I'll reply anyway.

Why would I play as Mario? Well, not long before I used Mario. His Jump Attacks are decent. Jump A (Mario facing opponent) is a deadly Meteor Smash move. I used it more, though, for the combos. If it's linked with a few other moves, it's an instant kill (or at least almost). Mario Tornado makes for a good moving shield when used right, because you can set something up by doing so. His Up A move is pointless. It doesn't go that far to help you recover from a fall. Fireballs make for decent projectiles, and the cape is a good repellant for other projectiles. In fact, the cape may be more useful in surviving from a fall than the Up A move because he stays in that spot in air for a second.
His meteor attack you're talking about is a slow, laggy, and punishable move. Uairs help with Mario's combo game a lot and can be used for attacking someone while you're recovering, but it's situational in this case. You can even link them up to an F-smash. The cape isn't so useful deflecting enemy fire as much as you think it is. Oh, and the Mario tornado is a useless move to use for attacking. It's only good use is for recovering. You'll have to tap the B button really fast to make it useful though.

Zackular

Smash Cadet
People ask me this question a lot, considering I jumble my mains on the constant. But, if I had to give a solid, one-answer-fits-all response, I'd have to say this:
When I was about three years old, my parents got my sister and I an SNES with Super Mario All-Stars. While all the other kids were out playing sports and whatnot, I was playing Mario with my father. I learned how to hook my console up at the age of three or four, I thought I was a child video game prodigy. In my early Melee days, I made Mario my first choice to attempt conquering Very Hard Classic Mode, and then I forgot about him and the game until the competitive side was shown to me a year or so prior to today. After a while of no-fun getting comboed and getting my recovery gimped out of me with Falco (And not to mention getting stomped by players like Jinx and Th0rn, and only being able to get 9% on KDJ's Marth), I decided to re-tap my roots and play Mario again. Overall, he's the character I'm the most comfortable and fluid with, and I enjoy playing him a lot. I also enjoy winning with him a lot.

And besides, Mario is just too leet.

mariopride

Smash Rookie
I play Mario because he has awesome combos and he can juggle people like no one's business. Hes the underdog and I want to show people hes a quality character. For anyone who loves Mario, checkout The Cape on youtube, hes a pro Mario who rocks the house

Twig

Smash Journeyman
The Cape is neither pro, nor does he rock anyone's house.

Green Mario, Azen, and Eggz (unfortunately the only one i haven't played) are all clearly superior.

Twig

Smash Journeyman
The Cape claimed to be the best mario under no grounds, and it was mad annoying, because Meep and I both beat him in mario dittos, and i personally have never lost to him, and im not good at all.

People like Azen (who plays everyone), Green Mario, and Eggz deserve respect, unlike him. Green Mario is a beast w/ up-airs and CGing spacies, beware.

-PM-

Smash Ace
cape IMO isnt all that good hes not really a mario to fear LoL no offense but hes overrated at times but hes really cool and i love his combo video lol

now Green Mario, Eggz, Silv, Azen, and mealstrom (even though no ones ever seen him play i think he would me good LoL srsly though he has to be xD) are really people to fear cause the know the characters near perfectly

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
most def.

the capes not really anything to fear in texas, i mean we have scav (who ***** him) and we keep up with him well enough.

thats saying something right? lol

Smash Journeyman
Well his wardrobe is pretty amazing, not to mention the whole Mario series is awesome. I <3 Mario. Also, I like being able to use his lack of KO power as a john. Comboing with Mario is super duper fun. I <3 Mario.

**** **** **** balls

accidently posted on Ka's account for like the fourtieth time.
accident? yea right

the cape was good for his time. but there are so many good mario but only a few people have the balls to main him

'Fro

Smash Lord
Well, I've only recently gotten into the tourney scene. After my Falcon got mauled, I thought I'd try Mario. Got MUCH better results, and Im hoping to improve some more! It also seems like fewer people around here are really familiar with playing against Mario, so it kinda helps!

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Well, Im very good as him, he is my main. Also I <3 the Mario series, so I chose me favorite..... but it turns out I would be this elite Link player (ironic, Link, wow) that would be pwning in all these smash tourneys right now IF I chose who I was good with naturaly, instead of just choosing my fave...... I will probably change that when Brawl comes out, Ill pick my best instead of my fave..... BUT MARIO WILL ALWAYS BE WITH ME!

Super Mari0

Smash Journeyman
Because Mario is VERY fun to play and has got some prettty **** nice combos and moves ...

and because im a mario fan ^^

spikehappy07

Smash Journeyman
Vallejo, CA. Its a small city whom many people ove
I play as Mario because he reflects the exact skill of the person using him. With that said, I took 2 of my friends 1-vs-2 on FD and managed to beat them both with 2 lives and 231% damage left on me.

Plus, I'm a Mario fanboy. Played all of his games. some spinoffs, but those were good too. Waiting for Galaxy @ the moment.

Rex+

Smash Ace
I only play Mario for funsies. I'm a speedy-character user, but wavedashing with Mario is simple and quick, plus he can really annoy opponents with that cape.

TFD

Smash Rookie
I play Mario because he suits me best. I've tried so many times to have a different character be my main, as Mario seems to ordinary and typical a character to play with, but he just fits me so perfectly that I've finally accepted that I can't do any better with another character. He's just so simple and yet so effective.

Top Bottom