• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why you play as Mario?

Jiikae

Typing of the Red
I see some of these topics in other character specific sections and didn't see one here so.. Why do you play as Mario if you do play as Mario. I play as Mario because he's very balanced and I just like his style. It's cool to see the humble plumber fighting with such style. (Breakdancing, flipping,fire glove,fire balls and up smash.. that is a very cool attack to me especially before he connects just pause it while he's charging you'll see what I'm talking about) and I believe he's very good at juggling.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Mario's. . .balanced? That's news to me. He has great combos, but just can't KO as effectively as everyone else can. . .unless it's through edgeguarding, but you have to get the guy off the stage in the first place.

I play Mario because he's the character I've invested the most time in (after I saw Brown Mario awesomeness)--therefore, I feel the most comfortable with him, so it's a bit silly to play anyone else when I perform the best with Mario.

Plus, he happens to be an underdog. No one really appreciates Mario, and no one really plays him. It makes it all the more satisfying when I beat a guy's Fox with a character that no one really gives much credit to.

TyrantX

Smash Apprentice
I play Mario for the sheer fun of it! He feels very nimble to me. He can jump and run and dash really smoothly. I also like him because he doesn't get much cred, and then I completly crush people with him! :)

Mike Hawk

Smash Journeyman
balanced stats (save for KO abilities) helps me adjust to any situation

Luigi Ka-master

Smash Lord
Well his wardrobe is pretty amazing, not to mention the whole Mario series is awesome. I <3 Mario. Also, I like being able to use his lack of KO power as a john. Comboing with Mario is super duper fun. I <3 Mario.

**** **** **** balls

accidently posted on Ka's account for like the fourtieth time.

RTRM

Smash Apprentice
Alameda, California (Right next to Oakland)
It's weird, you would think the Face of the Franchise, no wait, THE COMPANY, would be a little more popular in this game, but no, he's no sheik...

I'm not going to say I'm a Fanboy or anything, but Mario is just awesome. He's my hero, and Italian that PUTS IT ALL ON THE LINE just so somone else can smile.

But really, I play Mario becuase of the different ways you can play him depending on the situations that arise. I like being able to switch stuff up on the fly, even if my brain doesn't work that fast...

Lefticle

Smash Journeyman
Technically, Mario is not Italian, he's from Mushroom Kingdom...that is, unless you follow the show (in the live-action parts, they were in Brooklyn) or the movie (also Brooklyn). If you follow either of those, I'd like you to visit my home so I can test out my antique guillotine from the French Revolution.

Lucky_Sharmz19

Smash Ace
I agree with Maelstrom about Mario's weakness. The third paragraph in Mael's message is partly why i choose Mario. I am most comfortable with Mario and i think he is just awesome. He is very versitile and can combo very well.

FigmentJedi

Smash Rookie
Lefticle said:
Technically, Mario is not Italian, he's from Mushroom Kingdom...that is, unless you follow the show (in the live-action parts, they were in Brooklyn) or the movie (also Brooklyn). If you follow either of those, I'd like you to visit my home so I can test out my antique guillotine from the French Revolution.
Mario was raised in Brooklyn. It's never been specifically said that Mario and Luigi were raised in the Mushroom Kingdom, just born and spent a few years there. Perhaps they got the Clark Kent deal at some point, transported to New York at some point and adopted by an Italian American family. The old story of Mario as a New Yorker was never fully retconned after all.

chalupa

Smash Cadet
NNID
TacoShell
3DS FC
3265-5071-3854
i play with this sexy beast of a man because when i started i played with every1 and when i got 2 mario I played with him the best and he has a cape :)

NintendoWarrior

Smash Lord
I play Mario cause I always liked Mario. He's balanced and his style suits me to a tee. I love his character design as well.

Da Man

Smash Lord
NNID
Tendoman77
He's got good moves, he's popular since the late 80's, has a good brother (NOT a clone) and he's got Yoshi :). He will always be better (Equal to Yoshi) than the likes of Sonic the Hedgehog, Spyro the Dragon and other famous charaters.

The ReX

Smash Rookie
Mario is my Fave Nintendo Character so i chose him
From the N64 to the GC i played him and mastered him, what i like about him is his Combo Potential and versatility

Got Blood?

Smash Lord
Mario is my favorite character by FAR.He is well rounded and just has that certain UMPH you can ony find in an Italian from Brooklyn ya know?

Gea

Smash Master
I use Doctor Mario. That's right, I said it. Who would have ever guessed that's who I use? <.< >.> *flees*

TheBlackrose

Smash Journeyman
i pick him becuse he is nimble and can easily adapt to any situation plus ... he's got a mustache!

SoulSlayerWind

Smash Cadet
I play Mario because its about time he beats Peach up. Peach knows how to fight but still gets captured by Bowser and she is Top Tier -_-. Really, I play mario because he seems to be a smooth player. He flows naturally from one attack to another (sometimes). Who else can wall-jump after using their Up+B? MARIO can.

MaDWaK

Smash Journeyman
i main both Doc and mario, actually i only use mario to counter Samus and Marth. becasue of the bigger cape and better recovery. but yea IMO mario is the most versatile character. if u play him right he can counter just about everyone.

Epok

Smash Ace
i play mario because he totaly reflects how skilled you are at this game, and he's soo frikken balanced its gross, plus he's just really cool, nuf said

ASP

Smash Apprentice
F air.

I used him for f air back when I was still a noob, just because it was funny. But then I realized how awesome Mario really is.

As for being balanced, agreed.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
No KO potential? Do you even damage the person before trying to kill him or her? Dude you can BREAKDANCE a guy into a KO. You can freakin fsmash charge (looks like kamehameha) and blast them off. This is MARIO, why would you not like a move like that? If i don't kill them its because well MAYBE I DON'T WANT TO. I like to toy with the enemy because they can't get me anyways. Scorch them, juggle them, get some coinage, it's a lot of mindgames because you can never tell what he'll do next. I've stuck with him through the smash 64 days where he was just as awesome. The only 2 tournaments I've been to have only had one mario each: ME. It felt so good winning the first round and seeing mario step up and show people that he is a force to be reckoned with. The classics will never die!!

Top Bottom