• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why you don't use DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Well for one, this has piqued my interest, for starters. Tell me why you don't use/apply DR into your game.

I'm hoping to use this for a thing soon, but it's hush hush. But I need to tell Scat. Lol.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I don't use it because I don't main Yoshi.
Duhhh.

-shot-

I actually don't use it because I feel it's become well known, and it's a little predictable.
Granted that it still works, I get punished more often than I hit. It's more or less my poor Yoshi.

Sharky

Smash Master
if it's predictable, you're not using it right lol.

I don't use it because my fingers are teh sux0rs and I haven't got it down, yet.

Hopefully that'll change sometime, lol. maybe I should play some more melee.

Metatitan

Smash Master
ill use it in friendlies but not normally and for good reasons

in melee, wavedashing was used for instant ledgehog and spacing; DR does not give enough distance to effectively achieve these

in brawl, the DI is ridiculous (good or bad thats your opinion) and characters dont need wavedashing to space correctly anymore, that and we have instant ledgehog. So yeah DR can be good to get a f smash in or a d smash in but unless ur willing to master it the way scatty has, or if a new, useful AT is discovered with it then theres really no point to learning it :(

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I don't think you understand, lol. When I say predictable, it just means that my opponents know to not use their ground game. So it's basically useless for me.

bigman40

Smash Master
I don't think you understand, lol. When I say predictable, it just means that my opponents know to not use their ground game. So it's basically useless for me.
Meaning that they are more aerial based when you attempt to use it? I'm not grasping themeaning of what you're saying quite yet.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I use it against R.O.B. and Peach because of the near 100% success rate with item snags.

I don't use it against certain playstyles and yomi levels because the risk for spacing yourself properly and getting the inputs down right and all the effort and thought going into it often doesn't match or come near the reward that the technique yields against lower yomi'd players. I rarely get to go above yomi 2 in my area, so I try to avoid really high tech stuff and just stay simple and effective.

I'm sure if I traveled more, I'd use it much more often whenever I travel.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Meaning that they are more aerial based when you attempt to use it? I'm not grasping themeaning of what you're saying quite yet.
Well, no. When I play someone, they completely eliminate their ground game and just go at it from above.

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
I would use to it to cancel my pivots. The problem is, that i can only do it consistently with tap jump on. When i tried switching I noticed that my egg throwing precision dropped and that it would take me more time to set up an egg throw without losing my second jump.

It sucks cos I really wanted to incorporate it in my game. A lot of my game is based on yoshi's pivot. I'd pivot to everything while camping on the other side, canceling them with my eggs when my opponent is far, grabbing and smashing when he approaches. Being able to cancel my pivot would make me even more unpredictable.

Finally I had to make a tough decision. I had to go back to tap off. Suiciding is just not fun. Maybe one day I will be able to do it without TJ, and unleash my full potential.

Drakkhonian

Smash Rookie
I don't use it mainly brcause its hard...

it's something nice to have and scatz proved it could be very useful! Watch his videos and others and you see the difference in playstyle.

tap jump on: killing yourself or slow eggs. So that doesn't look like an option to me. You might try using eggs with B-sticking, but it's a lot harder than the next option.

tap jump off: L-juming seems good, but it wouldbe nicer if I got X X A or Y Y A down. Then the only setup change would be for tap off.

X X A or Y Y A requires training to be done and much more training to be done efficiently.
So it's super hard!!:colorful::crazy:

Love ya!:love::rolleyes:

.Marik

is a social misfit
if it's predictable, you're not using it right lol.

I don't use it because my fingers are teh sux0rs and I haven't got it down, yet.

Hopefully that'll change sometime, lol. maybe I should play some more melee.
^ What he said. Except I haven't really practiced it yet.

auroreon

Smash Ace
I do use it but only once or twice a match, partially because I just don't try to look for openings to use it all the time, but also because I like it to be a supprise when I do use it... so that when I need to get the kill move in, I have a means of doing so that the opponant won't expect.

But I do try to utilize it as much as possible.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Exactly what I thought the two main reasons would be:

1. It's to hard
2. I don't know how to apply it

Good this makes things easier. but I stil need to talk to Scat.

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
Exactly what I thought the two main reasons would be:

1. It's to hard
2. I don't know how to apply it

Good this makes things easier. but I stil need to talk to Scat.
yea i was about to type this then i see chaco say it.....

after u look into it a bit it reminds me of shellshifting with squrtile but i bit different, when i use to play grampz he would run away and come back with a dr dsmash or jab

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I try to use it, but no matter how fast I move my fingers it just can't be quick enough. Still trying, though. =/

Veelhelm

Smash Cadet
I don't own a Brawl or a Wii so I don't have much of a chance to practice but, I know, no johns :(. Even if I did own a Wii it would probably be a while before I used DR sense I'm pretty garbage technically.

Depster

Smash Champion
My only special control set is tap off, which is normal for us. I forced myself to play with CC just for DR, in which you just slide your thumb across the top three buttons, which works really well. I also have an alternate way of ETS, too, so CC is working great. I'd suggest ordering the new CC Pro, which looks like it plugs into the cube controller slot.

Nul

Smash Apprentice
I don't because it's just not my style, same issue with wavedashing in Melee, I just didn't like it. I do well without it, and even with applying it, the results didn't change overall.

Mine is XUA, taps FTW. Yea I tap. XD

But learning it and being able to apply it means you have that much more potential, the more applications, the scarier you can become.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Which is way I'm making an applications video. XD

Metatitan

Smash Master
oh i forgot to mention why i dont personally use DR; theres not enough benefit from the move, i mean u dont slide very far. i know how to do it with like 70% consistancy so dont say im just too lazy to learn it

Chaco

Never Logs In
Which is why the video will help people like you. You'll see.

Chaco

Never Logs In
The slide can actually vary on the method used, and the time you cancel it.

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
I agree with Metatitan, sadly because I like how technical you have to be to perform this. It is almost, if not as technical, as waveshining with Fox in Melee. However, waveshining had a much more devastating effect than DR'ing.

Depster

Smash Champion
I'm starting to get the DT moving across the stage down just from doing it in the waiting room so much =p I really really like being able to use DR, I can't lie. DR>jab is one of my favorite tricks, and I'd really like to start a uair chain with DR>utilt, but that one really is hard to do... DR fsmash is just too good in any way you could use it =p but I really like to just randomly DT across the stage then do something, people just kinda stop and look when you do that.

Airborne

Smash Lord
DR is only useful when you use it to cancel your running or turnaround animation.
or if you want to move faster than everyone but sonic when you've mastered DTing.... or if you want to waveland onto the stage from the ledge and fsmash someone.... or if you want to extend the range of your smashes to catch your opponent off guard..... if people worked hard enough on learning everything there is to know about the Draconic Reverse, then we could possibly find more uses for it...

ps: i think Draconic Rush would sound better IMO =P

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
or if you want to move faster than everyone but sonic when you've mastered DTing.... or if you want to waveland onto the stage from the ledge and fsmash someone.... or if you want to extend the range of your smashes to catch your opponent off guard..... if people worked hard enough on learning everything there is to know about the Draconic Reverse, then we could possibly find more uses for it...

ps: i think Draconic Rush would sound better IMO =P
1- Yes, you are (slightly) moving faster. But that's only if you are running one direction, canceling it with a DT and running to the other instead of pivoting. Dring in itself does not make you move faster.

2- That sounds incredibly hard to pull off, situational, and extremely risky. I don't approve.

3- As far as I can tell, walking towards your opponent and smashing is just as fast, and you can space yourself better. If i don't notice a difference in speed I will not risk messing up a DR for that.

4-Look, I think DR has potential but not for the same reasons you guys think. I think it should only be used to DT. The way I see it, DTing is equivalent to "shield braking" that all of the other characters have except yoshi =(. In a way it might even be better because you can control what direction you want to stop at. Another use of DTing is running to you opponent, get within range and DT backwards, hope that he attacks and punish. Dting forward in your opponent's range is a suicide mission.

JOE!

Smash Hero
I dont use it for two reasons:

I dont find myself ever needing to do it when im playing yoshi

and I dont know how to do it.... :p

Drakkhonian

Smash Rookie
Relax scatz. I don't think they are going to dump DR just because of this one thread.

And if people can't use DR it's because they don't have enough skill (like me),
or if people chose not to use it, well, that's their loss. ^_^

Personally I don't think everyone should give up on trying just because it's hard.
And this thread might just show them that it's not only them that can't use it yet, and probably encourage people to try and master it.

What I'm trying to say is: people who look at this thread might see how hard people worked and works to master DR, and as such, gonna accept the fact that training is necessary and it WILL lead to good results.

love ya!:chuckle:

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
Drak, thank you. Your post made me change my stance on it a bit.

I may not use DR, but in no means am I telling others to not learn it. It's a good tech, and I respect how much time Scatz and the others have put into using DR. But I'm not as tech as they so I have to make up for it with other ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom