• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why were Mewtwo and Roy removed?

vydran212

Smash Journeyman
Once upon a time, Mewtwo and Roy were cut from SSB. Sakurai axed Mewtwo and Roy because he felt that he had cooler and more relevant characters in Lucario and Ike. The end.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
Funny how you call 2 removed characters(who sucked) and who got replaced by 2 fresh characters(who are good) a flaw.
How?
Bowser sucked in SSBM. It's not like they replaced him for bowser Jr., or Wart.

Roy was removed for many other reasons *choughhisgamesuckedcough*
Not really.
Roy's game was actually very popular, and was one of the only, if not the only, JPN-only FE game to get a fan-translation.

Vash_15

Smash Journeyman
Sweriosuly, I think
A) Mewtwo>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lucario
B)Ike = Roy but Roy>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Marth (the girly man in a tiara)
C) It's not up to Sakurai to make DLC or not.

Brawler1432

Smash Lord
Roy- He was a clone, and they wanted to remove as many as they could

Mewtwo-They wanted a more current icon that younger gamers knew more about

•Col•

Smash Champion
It's only 3,even if you were trying to be funny.You were being stupid instead.
Meh, I was realy trying to be funny. The person was complaining about the amount of sword users in Brawl; I was complaining about the amount of Landmaster users there are in Brawl. Really, there isn't much of an excuse for 3 of them... -_- Especially Wolf... Last I checked, the Star Wolf team never owned anything even close to a Landmaster tank...

Edit: Someone's gonna say something like "Oh yeah, and Link really used his Triforce Slash in Zelda games." -_-;; Yeah, I know Smash isn't always true to the character's respective series, but come on... D: Wolf definitely should not have a Landmaster...

•Col•

Smash Champion
Roy- He was a clone, and they wanted to remove as many as they could

Mewtwo-They wanted a more current icon that younger gamers knew more about
Roy- Yeah they took out a few clones to put in twice the amount... >.> I'm only kidding, most of them aren't even very similar to their counterparts this time around... I don't mind any of them... Well, except Toon Link... >_<

Mewtwo- Eh... Ice Climbers, Game and Watch, Pit, Marth, Jigglypuff is even older than Mewtwo...

D: I miss both of them...

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Not really.
Roy's game was actually very popular, and was one of the only, if not the only, JPN-only FE game to get a fan-translation.
Amoung Japanese games, Sword of Seals just palled in comparison to FE1 and 3(Marth's games), and the well renouned FE4 (Sigurd's game). It was also sort of a let down dificulty wise because of how FE5 just so happened to be the most dificult FE game in history.

Roy was popular in melee. Roy was not popular in FE (although his weapon is considered one of the most broken weapons ever).

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Not really.
Amoung Japanese games, Sword of Seals just palled in comparison to FE1 and 3(Marth's games), and the well renouned FE4 (Sigurd's game). It was also sort of a let down dificulty wise because of how FE5 just so happened to be the most dificult FE game in history.

Roy was popular in melee. Roy was not popular in FE (although his weapon is considered one of the most broken weapons ever).

Vash_15

Smash Journeyman
Roy: Ike, you're gay, like marth, but Marth's in denial. Show him your REAL final smash, BUTT***!!!!

Mewtwo: (see's his role in Brawl as a trophy) This cannot be, my destiny!

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
First off let me clear up some myths. One is Roy is the most popular character in his own game. There was an official poll that was conducted and Roy was at the top. Two, Roy is one of the most popular Melee characters in Japan, and many Japanese Smash fans were expecting him to return. Also, it is not that FE6 is hated in Japan, it just does not have the popularity of the Jugdral FEs (FE4 and FE5). Although these two FEs are the most popular, they received no content in Brawl.

Also, Roy is just bad compared to most lords in the series in terms of stats, however, he is considered to be an upper tier unit in his own game, and not bad. Roy is not worse than the likes of FE5 Leaf and Micaiah.

Mewtwo is the third-most traded Pokemon in Japan, and ranks in the Top 5 in terms of popularity, while Lucario is in the 20's. Mewtwo is recongized by both young and old Pokemon fans, whereas only the young andf hardcore recognize Lucario. Mewtwo is considered to be the second most powerful Pokemon, second only Arceus, whom is a god.

I am expecting both Mewtwo and Roy to return in Smash 4, as well as possibly even Doc and Pichu. I will elaborate further on this another time.

Vash_15

Smash Journeyman
First off let me clear up some myths. One is Roy is the most popular character in his own game. There was an official poll that was conducted and Roy was at the top. Two, Roy is one of the most popular Melee characters in Japan, and many Japanese Smash fans were expecting him to return. Also, it is not that FE6 is hated in Japan, it just does not have the popularity of the Jugdral FEs (FE4 and FE5). Although these two FEs are the most popular, they received no content in Brawl.

Also, Roy is just bad compared to most lords in the series in terms of stats, however, he is considered to be an upper tier unit in his own game, and not bad. Roy is not worse than the likes of FE5 Leaf and Micaiah.

Mewtwo is the third-most traded Pokemon in Japan, and ranks in the Top 5 in terms of popularity, while Lucario is in the 20's. Mewtwo is recongized by both young and old Pokemon fans, whereas only the young andf hardcore recognize Lucario. Mewtwo is considered to be the second most powerful Pokemon, second only Arceus, whom is a god.

I am expecting both Mewtwo and Roy to return in Smash 4, as well as possibly even Doc and Pichu. I will elaborate further on this another time.
O agree with chrono 110%. BTW did tFox tell you anything?

Batchfile

Smash Apprentice
To be completely honest, it's cause we have Ike and Lucario to replace them. They DO have different moves and they are different. But it's bringing in their equal from the same series without being generic. [/flameshheld]

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Didn't YOU say you believed him but you didn't believe his source?
Yeah, from all the people that talked with him, they all said he is truthful. I would like to think he is truthful, however, I am starting to think that it will be a while if not never we will get a response back from his source.

IMO, The only removed char that should come back is Mewtwo.
Yes, Mewtwo & Roy are the only two of the Exiled 4 who deserve to return. I will elaborate on my thoughts on why I think Roy should return another time.

Zevox

Smash Lord
I'm just sick of swords! This isn't Super Sword Bros.
No it isn't. But likewise it isn't Street Fighter. Its Super Smash Brothers. There are no restrictions on fighting styles in the game - fist-and-foot, swords, hammers, explosives, bows, magic, psychic abilities; anything goes. Characters who are worthy of being in get in, regardless of how they fight. Besides, we've always had a huge of majority of characters as fist fighters, and that hasn't changed. The original had 11 fist fighters and 1 sword fighter. Melee had 21 fist fighters, 4 sword fighters, and 1 hammer fighter. Now Brawl has 31 fist fighters, 6 sword fighters, and 2 hammer fighters. Complaining about how many sword users we have with ratios like that is more than a little ridiculous.

Zevox

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
MewTwo? I don't know, as he was part of the original Pokemon series, prolly because they wanted a new pokemon, but they didn't want more than 4 pokemon characters so he had to go. They did help MewTwo mainers though as Lucario is kinda like a MewTwo 2.0 of sorts

as for Roy, well he was a mid series character, not a lot of sense in keeping him, Marth is from the first Fire Emblem game, and Ike is from the latest AND has been in two games, even if they had another Fire Emblem character, it would prolly be from a more popular game than the one with Roy in it, like Alm, Sigurd, or Leaf

Rakath

Smash Ace
I can easily come up with an explanation for all 4 (5 depending on who you talk to) cuts, for the series.

1. Doc Mario. Now, really, Doc? I mean, come on, he's Mario in a Labcoat. He's a spinoff game that doesn't exactly have a lot of following. My guess is he was added to Melee to fill out the ranks and keep Mario series afloat above the others with five reps. His removal isn't all that surprising and of the clones, I counted him tied for 'least likely to return'. As we have Mario and Luigi, that was enough for Plumber Brothers.

2. Young Link (sorta). Young Link, in his OoT/MM form, had no chance of returning, however a WW style Link did have a shot, and it did happen. He's not really cut, but evolved into a more timely form. However I list him due to the name change.

3. Pichu. Pichu was an attempt to update the Smash games to follow the update in the Pokemon games. He's the only playable Second Gen. Third Gen didn't exist yet, and Pokemon was still a well liked series. He wasn't going to return unless Sakurai and crew lacked a good non-First Gen Pokemon. Which they had a few choices, apparently Plusle and Minun sealed Pichu's fate. Even if the duo didn't make it. I doubt he has any chance of returning in any later titles. My original assessment had him tied with Doc. If you say no ties, he is the least likely to return.

4. Mewtwo. Sad, sad Mewtwo, failing horribly in Melee, but a GOD everywhere else. He is mostly a victim of keeping series even. Depending on how you count Mario has 4-6 characters, Zelda has 4-5 characters, and Pokemon has 4-6 characters. Mewtwo was one too many (putting Pokemon at 5-7 characters). Jigglypuff couldn't get cut as she's an original 12, Pikachu is the mascot, and having a cast of all Gen 1 Pokemon would look... odd. So Lucario, only non-legendary to get his OWN FREAKIN' FILM, takes his spot. Dems da breaks.

5. Roy. Roy is one of those characters that is... complex, he does and doesn't have fans, he is and isn't awesome, and other blatantly clashing ideas. I ranked him with Falco as 'not as assured as Ganondorf, but in no way obviously screwed like Pichu and Doc'. He is the Fire Emblem lord that arms himself with THE MOST OBNOXIOUSLY POWERFUL SWORD EVER. I mean, anyone that knows FE characters and weapons knows the Sword of Seals is something well worth keeping around, as it can DESTROY armies alone. Roy may not have awesome stats like Ike, or even half decent stats like Marth, but he has a sword that freakin' equalizes the field. However, Roy is a 1 game character, Marth and Ike are two games. Ike has stats that rival Sigurd, most loved of all loved lords, and Ike is a highly unique character in his storyline and rankings (for instance, his starting class isn't Lord). I wavered on Roy (I would of liked him back, but I had a list of FE characters a mile long of characters I'd perfer... mostly females... what? Don't look at me like that) but wouldn't mind the Redhead returning.

Rakath

Smash Ace
Why the hell did jigglypuff come back, useless piece of pink crap.
Same reason Ness did.

"Every member of the original 12 cast will come back... except Ness."

Seems kinda like spittin' on 'em. Now take that line, replace Ness with Purin, and the reasoning still works.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Short answer:

Roy was replaced by Ike as the most recent FE lord as of July 7th 2005 and Mewtwo got the boot because he was by far the most complained about non-clone character in Melee.

Gaiash

Smash Cadet
Its all due to time. Brawl was getting delayed enough already. In order to avoid making everyone wait too long some characters had to be sacrificed. I'm sure if they were still working on Brawl Mewtwo, Roy, Dr Mario, Pichu and even some characters that were just assist trophies would have made it.

Eternal Smasher

Smash Ace
Maybe SE had something to do with it.

Imagine Mewtwo in SE, with all his power intact. (I mean, there'd have to be a VERY good reason for him to not be flinging everyone across the room. Being a trophy isn't a good enough reason for me.)

Roy would've had a chance had he not been a clone and appeared in only one (apparently not very well-received) game.

Top Bottom