• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

why tierlist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
ive heard the argument on tiers a million times but ive always wondered
Why do we even need one?
dont get me wrong.. a character match up list = very useful. Tournement placings = useful.
however why a tier list? what posible benefiet do we have knowing that one character is better than another? whats the real point in arguing about it anyway?

reason i ask this is because got the game recently and he barely played any melee cept at a party with items and stuff. within a few days he asked me what "tiers" were so i told him and gave him a list. surprise surprise he was using snake a few days later(although mostly c-stick) and i feel kind of angry that because of tiers my friend had no insentive of even trying to play a different character

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Matchup charts and tier lists both shouldn't exist. You play brawl with your own knowledge of each character specific matchup, not the bias information others have compiled. It's just that people like to keep track of that sort of thing, thus we have one.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
i have nothing against tier list and match-up charts as long as people don't let them control who they play who make them think they have no chance in a fight. i kinda like looking at tier lists and seeing if i agree with them or not, but just b/c someone is at the top of the list is not a good reason to pick up that character people should play as who they like. of course to many people will see a tier list and think they have to play as the best character to have easy wins but i figure thats more of a human problem then a reason to dislike tier lists

ftl

Smash Journeyman
Because a lot of people are interested in it. On one hand, it's sad that it makes people all choose the same character. On the other hand, I'd rather have that then try to purposely limit the information.

I'd agree that a good, 'official' ranking of how characters do, as well as discussion of matchups, would be better than a tier list. But that takes a LOT of matchups to discuss.

GoldA

Smash Rookie
it's nice to see, theoretically, how well my characters could be doing
and it's always fun to jokingly blame/thank a loss/win on tier placement

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Because you should play Brawl however the heck you want to play, and if a person only picks characters based on a tierlist, let them. I don't, of course, but I hate people who tell others how to play.

Its how it should be. There is no right or wrong reason for picking who you play, so to say tiers shouldn't exsist just so people have to pick characters the "right" way is bs. I don't let tiers tell me who to pick, rather I let tiers tell me how much of an advantage or disadvantage my character is at against other characters. If Pit is higher than Mario, that just means I'll have an easier time taking down Mario. If Pit is lower than Meta Knight, then that means I'll have my work cut out for me. If it just so happens that my main was the so-called highest ranking character in the game, then that's good; doesn't mean I'm unbeatable, though.

Tiers exsist, and therefor, a tierlist is necessary. What you do with that information is your prerogative. If you only choose characters based on their rankings, who are we to tell you otherwise?

acv

Smash Journeyman
there is no reason not to make one.if someone chooses to main a character that is at the top of a tier list its because he chooses to.nobody is forcing him to use that certain character.

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
really?
i dont see a tierlist being helpful at all imo
i think everyone has their own personal tier list.
i dont really have anything against them
except i see them as a huge waste of time and not very usefull at all except for making johns
and as for the mario and pit thing.. the character matchup list will do fine.

VEC

Smash Journeyman
i have nothing against tier list and match-up charts as long as people don't let them control who they play who make them think they have no chance in a fight. i kinda like looking at tier lists and seeing if i agree with them or not, but just b/c someone is at the top of the list is not a good reason to pick up that character people should play as who they like. of course to many people will see a tier list and think they have to play as the best character to have easy wins but i figure thats more of a human problem then a reason to dislike tier lists
then why did you give up on Jiggs and Peach......Zelda was in Melee you know lol.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
See the "Official Tier Discussion" sticky? That might be a good place to, ya know, talk about tier lists. Just a suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom