• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WHY the roster is bad (NOT A RANT).

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
So we have the final roster, for what was supposedly designed as the LAST Smash game. So as we scan the roster, we see some good choices, we see some bad choices, but in the end I think the point of this roster was to accurately represent the HISTORY OF NINTENDO in the BEST POSSIBLE way. Did it REALLY meet this assumed and appealing goal? I honestly say NO, with a SLIGHT leaning towards saying that it completely missed the mark all together. Will it still be a GOOD GAME? Hell, yes it will, but that alone can not save the roster from the inevitable criticisms that it seemed to be asking for.. Let's look at the facts and analyze.

ORIGINAL FRANCHISES (SSB64/SB)

Mario Bros.
The Legend of Zelda
Yoshi
Pokemon
Kirby
Metroid
F-Zero
MOTHER
Starfox
DK

This, I honestly believe, was the BEST roster of the 3 titles, ( based on the information we have gotten about it's development) and was Sakurai's highpoint. Looking at things literally, what was originally going to be Super Smash MARIO Bros. was extended on as Super Smash Nintendo Bros.

We have an above average amount of franchises each including the main character while the obviously more popular 2 franchises getting an additional character for a total of 12 characters (the less familiar franchises being hidden). Most of the franchises also gained a stage or two to boot. Memorable music and themes from each franchise allowed a flow of nostalgia for extra gaming experience. This game was bringing MANY different fans of Nintendo together to play one fun game.

And so, the game was a HUGE HIT. The feedback on the Japanese SSB64 site was big, many fans expressing delight in the characters and the desire of an new game with new characters . Sakurai seem to enjoy discussing the possibilities of another Smash as well. Characters were suggested left and right, some from new franchises some from VERY old and forgotten titles. But looking beyond this innocent feedback, one can find the seed that would utterly destroy what Smash was REALLY about and might have been why Sakurai initially bailed. We now move on to the next installment.

2ND COMING FRANCHISES (SSBM/SBDX)

Fire Emblem
Ice Climbers
Game and Watch

We now get the new and "better" game! Super Smash Bros... MELEEEEE! WAAAAY more stages, WAAAY more characters, WAAAY more content, just... WAAAAAY MORE EVERYTHING! What do we have here, 25 No 26 characters TOTAL! Fire Emblem? Wow! I never knew about that game! Cool! Ice Climbers? That old game? Weird! Game and Watch? Nintendo had hand held games before the GB systems? CRAZY!

Wait, Wha WHAAAAT? Only 3 new franchises? Wha... What the hell happened? We have 26 characters.... don't we? Huh 5 Mario Bros. characters? 4 Pokemon characters? 2 Starfox characters? 3 Zelda characters? 2 Fire Emblem characters?!!

Well, now the history of the SERIES themselves have become a big point in the game. No longer is it about Mario and Luigi who represent Mario Bros., NOW it's about the whole main Mario gang. No longer is it about Fox, it's about his close friend Falco as well. No longer is about the FACE of Pokemon Pikachu but also Mewtwo, the power house Pokemon of Red and Blue and popular picks of jiggly and Pichu... No longer is it about the gathering of Nintendo franchises throughout VG history, but the line-up of POPULAR characters in POPULAR franchises!

And this, my freinds... is where things go to hell, the series is now steering in the direction of popular fandom. What about more Kirby? What about more Metroid? What about more DK? Now all fans wanted were more characters to represent already established franchsies, while those caring about Nintendo exposing us to more interpretations of Nintendo's history were left in the dust with dry and soar throats attempting to yell over the rabid fanboys for their desires to be heard.

Sakurai heard, but he did not hear well enough over the cries of fandom. As we jump to presumably last installment of the series later to be known as Smash Bros. Brawl!

3RD COMING (FINAL) FRANCHISES (SSBB/SBX)

The Mirror of Palutena (Kid Icarus)
Pikmin
Wario

3RD PARTY

Metal Gear
Sonic

EXTRA FRACNHISE????:dizzy:

Robot???:psycho:

So what do we have here? Wario is OK, at least they introduced him in the Wario ware theme. The Mirror of Palutena's (Kid Icarus's) Pit! An old classic, forgotten franchise finally jumps into the ring! Sakurai must have pushed his creative juices for this one! Pikmin and Olimar?! Now we're getting somewhere! Pokemon trainer?! The main character of Pokemon AND the FACE of Pokemon?! This is all in the STARTING line up!? One could shake in anticipation at the idea of the unlockable characters and what franchises were yet to be revealed. It was too good to be true for general NINTENDO fans and it turned out to be so...

Marth
Ness
Falco
Jigglypuff
Wind Waker Link
Falco
Ganondorf
Lucario
Wolf
Luigi
Game and Watch

Not only do we unlock people from the same veteran franchises, but we unlock mostly veterans again. Apparently Melee was so great that it established an additional fan base of it's very own that clung to characters of the old roster, thus doubling the effects of the representation count within a franchise. Adding this to the rabid fan requests for more representation in an already established franchise and we get the final nail on the coffin to what could have been a historic roster of Nintendo.

ROB
Snake
Sonic

I will not count these characters, they are not Nintendo characters. But they are still welcome additions. Well, R.O.B. not so much.... And I don't hate Robot for reasons most people hate him. i hate him for what he represents. Contradiction of Sakurai. He has not originated FROM A PARTICULAR video game, yes, he was IN video games, but he did not originate from them. He does not have the NORMAL capabilities of fighting that are standard in the game as Sakurai seems to have stated were important. Yet, some character end up not playable or assist trophies who actually CAN fight normally. This shows that there was no justification for him claiming that an Animal Crossing human can't fight (NO I am not an animal crossing fanboy).

After scanning several boards and reviewing threads of fan favorites and reviewing moveset ideas. There were MANY good ideas from fans even for characters that I didn't care for (I remember seeing an AMAZING moveset for a Duck Hunt-Duck Hunting Dog team). There were MANY franchises that should have gotten some character representation.

But in the end, when I look at the stage representation and then look at the roster, something doesn't feel right. It feels like Sakurai gave up about two-thirds of the way through when working on the roster and resorted to just random fandom picks. REGARDLESS of popularity, it is the history of Nintendo and the gathering of franchises that matter most to the roster. The fandom didn't destroy them game as it WILL STILL be AMAZING, but it completely ripped the roster to shreds...:urg:

Kelexo

Smash Journeyman
Uhm...yes. ROB is a Nintendo character.

Uuuh, no, Wolf, Falco, Wind Waker Link and ROB are not POPULAR in comparison to others.

KernelColonel

Smash Journeyman
So you're whining because there are 2 more new franchises introduced than Melee? What more history of Nintendo is left? He gave you old characters buried between Nintendo's beginning and the NES? As well as bringing in THIRD-PARTY history-makers? R.O.B. too?

The things you seem to be complaining about are the hallmarks the game will be remembered by. Everyone will remember the third Smash Bros for breaking down the third-party inclusion barrier. Everyone will remember how an N.E.S. accessory was made into a playable character.

At first I was sour about "only" being able to play with 35 characters. What I didn't realize was that he took out 5 characters and put in 15. 15 is the largest roster addition EVER to the series, including the 0-14 that the first one introduced.

He also gave you a gleaming storyline which is guaranteed to be huge, and everyone's history will be fleshed out. The characters that represent everything that people will remember Nintendo by are being thrown together into a pit to beat the bajeesus out of eachother. That's what Smash is about.

It seems the things you are complaining about are what are about to make this the greatest game ever.

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
So you're whining because there are 2 more new franchises introduced than Melee? What more history of Nintendo is left? He gave you old characters buried between Nintendo's beginning and the NES? As well as bringing in THIRD-PARTY history-makers? R.O.B. too?

The things you seem to be complaining about are the hallmarks the game will be remembered by. Everyone will remember the third Smash Bros for breaking down the third-party inclusion barrier. Everyone will remember how an N.E.S. accessory was made into a playable character.

At first I was sour about "only" being able to play with 35 characters. What I didn't realize was that he took out 5 characters and put in 15. 15 is the largest roster addition EVER to the series, including the 0-14 that the first one introduced.

He also gave you a gleaming storyline which is guaranteed to be huge, and everyone's history will be fleshed out. The characters that represent everything that people will remember Nintendo by are being thrown together into a pit to beat the bajeesus out of eachother. That's what Smash is about.

It seems the things you are complaining about are what are about to make this the greatest game ever.
Hmmm... Do actually know the whole situation? But anyway.

ROB is probably going to disappoint more people than satisfy.
The third party hype has run dry, especially with the fact that there are only two, one that was HIGHLY fan-based and one that was just a fluke and poorly represents Nintendo's history. But That's not implying that they will not be fun to play as. For the most part, it looks like histories will not be epically fleshed out. And how can they, when most of the characters are from the same games? But I can see from the way that you're posting that you're either a generation or two too young to understand where I'm coming from, or you're lying to yourself about the situation.

Project Occasus

Smash Cadet
I believe what Sukarai truly wants is to make a great game that is enjoyable for everyone, that people of all kinds can come TOGETHER and play. Really, it does not feel like he gave up at ALL to me. So much has been added, like the story, custom stages, etc. Just look at his updates on the Dojo, and his interviews. Maybe in the past he wanted represent Nintendo as best as he could, but I believe that he was ALWAYS shooting for a way we can all have fun.

I see you're point, and where you're coming from, but I disagree for the most part.

SYC!

Smash Apprentice
Topic title is a lie. Looks like a rant to me.

OH and DMAJohnson. Sorry about calling you a dip in that other thread. I got a little bit too into it. >__>

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
The third party hype has run dry, especially with the fact that there are only two, one that was HIGHLY fan-based and one that was just a fluke and poorly represents Nintendo's history.
There is no way on earth you could be talking about Snake there right? If so... :laugh:

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
I believe what Sukarai truly wants is to make a great game that is enjoyable for everyone, that people of all kinds can come TOGETHER and play. Really, it does not feel like he gave up at ALL to me. So much has been added, like the story, custom stages, etc. Just look at his updates on the Dojo, and his interviews. Maybe in the past he wanted represent Nintendo as best as he could, but I believe that he was ALWAYS shooting for a way we can all have fun.

I see you're point, and where you're coming from, but I disagree for the most part.
I never said he gave up on the game. I said he gave up on the roster, you can tell by compairing the stage representation. It is difficult to balance characters, but to sacrfice descent variety in Nintendo's history for easy character count and fan-service is a cop-out.

Yes, I said it. Snake is not important in Nintendo's history. I shouldn't even have to argue thid. Look at the music for the MGS stage. The only song that would be on a Nintendo VG history OST would be the encounter remix.

In all honesty, I'm not here to argue with people who are too sheepish to actually find the faults in the game. You don't think for yourself? Fine, just don't ask me to do the same or complain that I want to explain the short comings of a product. I am explaining why the roster is bad based on what the game series was orginally designed to do.

If you don't have logical reasoning for disagreeing and just post sarcastic replies, it shows you aren't thinking for yourself, but thinking for the better view of the company you worship.

Tony_

Smash Ace
If you think Sakurai gave up 2-3s of the way through, your in for a shocker. He didn't. All you doing is moaning, whining and complaining.

Seriously enough of it. Its old and only makes you look VERY childish.

Burnt_Toast

Smash Cadet
don't ask me to do the same or complain that I want to explain the short comings of a product. I am explaining why the roster is bad based on what the game series was orginally designed to do.

If you don't have logical reasoning for disagreeing and just post sarcastic replies, it shows you aren't thinking for yourself, but thinking for the better view of the company you worship.
Here's a logical reason for disagreeing with you: you've never played the game and therefore don't know what the **** you're talking about.

Ah, goddammit, there I go again, worshiping Nintendo.

Crystallion

Smash Ace
Just stop it, people, it gets annoying. The first few threads could have been okay, and people need venting about it, I understand that. I wasn't too hot for this roster either at first.

But you start to accept it (that's the only choice you have because you're going to buy Brawl regardless of what you say), and after a while, you get even interested in ROB. Wasn't it just like that when Melee was released? (I dunno, I wasn't there at the time, but I can imagine the same with Mr. Game & Watch, nobody had a clue about this obvious WTF character at first).

People have the right to complain, but NOT if the trend of making silly threads like this is going to continue. You're getting on everyone's nerves who still enjoy the character choices and are generally positive about Brawl. Should we go away then from the boards just because you like to whine in every single thread about something that can't be changed? No! Nobody has to go away, but look at SWF! It's becoming the next GameFaqs, it's getting stale and ridiculous, the forums are already cluttered with the threads.
Although you SHOULD have known there ALREADY IS A COMPLAINT THREAD, SO STOP STARTING NEW ONES!!

Get on with it! It's like you've forgotten all the neat stuff that was announced like stage builder, the ATs etc.

Oh wait, these things don't count at all! Characters are the only important thing Brawl has to offer! ......................No, everything's important about a game that wants to be a masterpiece.

And don't ever compare fighting games to Smash Bros. Even though it's my favorite kind of games, they are something completely different. They have lots of characters, but aren't in the slightest the same as SSB when it comes to game modes, additional stuff and more fanservice. Ever played Tekken Tag Tournament? It was the worst of the series, it was just a compilation of all the characters, not enough decent modes to keep me satisfied.

If you're going to make a game like Smash Bros. , you include things so the gamer keeps playing SSB over and over again, and what better way to do this by including tons of ATs, trophies, and a really indepth adventure mode that keeps everybody seated for hours. A ton of characters doesn't guarantee fun.

Just get along with it, it doesn't take much to accept the roster as many popular choices have made it into the game. And the roster isn't too small. That comes from setting the bar too high, you seem to have never even CONSIDERED the chance you wouldn't get 40 and more characters, that's your own fault. And people hating Sakurai for that, now THAT's pathetic.

KernelColonel

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm... Do actually know the whole situation? But anyway.

ROB is probably going to disappoint more people than satisfy.
The third party hype has run dry, especially with the fact that there are only two, one that was HIGHLY fan-based and one that was just a fluke and poorly represents Nintendo's history. But That's not implying that they will not be fun to play as. For the most part, it looks like histories will not be epically fleshed out. And how can they, when most of the characters are from the same games? But I can see from the way that you're posting that you're either a generation or two too young to understand where I'm coming from, or you're lying to yourself about the situation.
Oh, yah, good one, I'm just "too young to understand". You're whining like a 14 year old and you have the gall to call ME young.

What is exactly wrong with the roster? Are you another person sore about Ridley, Geno, Krystal, or Fire Emblem? Is there not enough fan service as well as history?

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
I actually don't care for any of those characters people wanted. I'd have less than what we got if it meant we were exposed to more playable franchises. Hell, I'm not gonna even bother continuing, the point is that we don't really need more than the main playable characters in a given franchise. It accomplishes nothing more than fan service to big name series. it does nothing to fully flesh out all of the characters that journeyed through the timeline of Nintendo. I would take a Mach Rider Samus clone over Wolf.

Varuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
but in the end I think the point of this roster was to accurately represent the HISTORY OF NINTENDO in the BEST POSSIBLE way. Did it REALLY meet this assumed and appealing goal? I honestly say NO, with a SLIGHT leaning towards saying that it completely missed the mark all together.
Where did it say that? Where in the blog or any of the official text surrounding this game say that this game will also serve as a comprehensive history lesson, is it in the title? Did I miss that? And what the hell do you mean by goal, wait no, I'll tell you what you mean by goal; You meant standard, -- a special one thats capable of being upset before you even play the game.

Smash has been a whimsical game from the start, it has never been Nintendo in a nutshell and I'm gonna stop reading right there cause I'm still having a nice day.

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
Where did it say that? Where in the blog or any of the official text surrounding this game say that this game will also serve as a comprehensive history lesson, is it in the title? Did I miss that? And what the hell do you mean by goal, wait no, I'll tell you what you mean by goal; You meant standard, -- a special one thats capable of being upset before you even play the game.

Smash has been a whimsical game from the start, it has never been Nintendo in a nutshell and I'm gonna stop reading right there cause I'm still having a nice day.
The point of the game was claimed by Iwata to present the history of Nintendo, I would assume it would reflect this in the roster as well, wouldn't you? I don't see Nintendo history in the roster, I see fandom.

Well, I mean if you're programmed by Nintendo to have a nice day then i would say there is nothing I can do to ruin your day, wouldn't you agree? ;) But then again, was that the goal of this topic?:confused:

SamDvds

Smash Ace
Yes, and the Power Gloves are Nintendo characters as well.
lol i was just going to post this, but you beat me to it. "I love the power glove...its sooo bad"...vote ROB for lamest fighting game char. ever! Maybe one of his special moves is to use the Duck Hunt gun. Geno or Megaman would have been much better choices. I like the idea of 3rd parties cause it introduces characters you could never otherwise see in a game together. Megaman was all over the NES and SNES and he represents a HUGE franchise. But oh well..the roster is done and nothing more to be said.

maxieman

Smash Ace
this is why we have TROPHIES with detailed DESCRIPTIONS of other characters and their HISTORY

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
I agree with the lack of character support.

I know whining over things is childish, but if you want what you want, you should fight, and I know no one will actually step up and fight.

I know it's no where in comparison, but it's like say the African Americans should stop whining and stop asking for reparations because their ancestors were slaves and there is nothing they could do about it.

We're letting Nintendo just tell us what we should have, and we have no say in how to make it better, and they will continue to do so as long as no one speaks up.

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
I never said he gave up on the game. I said he gave up on the roster, you can tell by compairing the stage representation. It is difficult to balance characters, but to sacrfice descent variety in Nintendo's history for easy character count and fan-service is a cop-out.

Yes, I said it. Snake is not important in Nintendo's history. I shouldn't even have to argue thid. Look at the music for the MGS stage. The only song that would be on a Nintendo VG history OST would be the encounter remix.

In all honesty, I'm not here to argue with people who are too sheepish to actually find the faults in the game. You don't think for yourself? Fine, just don't ask me to do the same or complain that I want to explain the short comings of a product. I am explaining why the roster is bad based on what the game series was orginally designed to do.

Well, I hope you like the game.

Snake is fun and that should be enough. But Snake is important in the history of videogames too. His games invented the stealth genre, brought cinematic flair to gaming, raised the standards for VG voice acting, and helped gaming grow up (so to speak) during the PlayStation era. He represents a very different part of gaming than what Nintendo offers and that alone makes his appearance special. And how can you not call him a rival when MGS4 is Sony's top exclusive?

Digital Angel

Smash Journeyman
So we have the final roster, for what was supposedly designed as the LAST Smash game. So as we scan the roster, we see some good choices, we see some bad choices, but in the end I think the point of this roster was to accurately represent the HISTORY OF NINTENDO in the BEST POSSIBLE way. Did it REALLY meet this assumed and appealing goal? I honestly say NO, with a SLIGHT leaning towards saying that it completely missed the mark all together. Will it still be a GOOD GAME? Hell, yes it will, but that alone can not save the roster from the inevitable criticisms that it seemed to be asking for.. Let's look at the facts and analyze.

ORIGINAL FRANCHISES (SSB64/SB)

Mario Bros.
The Legend of Zelda
Yoshi
Pokemon
Kirby
Metroid
F-Zero
MOTHER
Starfox
DK

This, I honestly believe, was the BEST roster of the 3 titles, ( based on the information we have gotten about it's development) and was Sakurai's highpoint. Looking at things literally, what was originally going to be Super Smash MARIO Bros. was extended on as Super Smash Nintendo Bros.

We have an above average amount of franchises each including the main character while the obviously more popular 2 franchises getting an additional character for a total of 12 characters (the less familiar franchises being hidden). Most of the franchises also gained a stage or two to boot. Memorable music and themes from each franchise allowed a flow of nostalgia for extra gaming experience. This game was bringing MANY different fans of Nintendo together to play one fun game.

And so, the game was a HUGE HIT. The feedback on the Japanese SSB64 site was big, many fans expressing delight in the characters and the desire of an new game with new characters . Sakurai seem to enjoy discussing the possibilities of another Smash as well. Characters were suggested left and right, some from new franchises some from VERY old and forgotten titles. But looking beyond this innocent feedback, one can find the seed that would utterly destroy what Smash was REALLY about and might have been why Sakurai initially bailed. We now move on to the next installment.

2ND COMING FRANCHISES (SSBM/SBDX)

Fire Emblem
Ice Climbers
Game and Watch

We now get the new and "better" game! Super Smash Bros... MELEEEEE! WAAAAY more stages, WAAAY more characters, WAAAY more content, just... WAAAAAY MORE EVERYTHING! What do we have here, 25 No 26 characters TOTAL! Fire Emblem? Wow! I never knew about that game! Cool! Ice Climbers? That old game? Weird! Game and Watch? Nintendo had hand held games before the GB systems? CRAZY!

Wait, Wha WHAAAAT? Only 3 new franchises? Wha... What the hell happened? We have 26 characters.... don't we? Huh 5 Mario Bros. characters? 4 Pokemon characters? 2 Starfox characters? 3 Zelda characters? 2 Fire Emblem characters?!!

Well, now the history of the SERIES themselves have become a big point in the game. No longer is it about Mario and Luigi who represent Mario Bros., NOW it's about the whole main Mario gang. No longer is it about Fox, it's about his close friend Falco as well. No longer is about the FACE of Pokemon Pikachu but also Mewtwo, the power house Pokemon of Red and Blue and popular picks of jiggly and Pichu... No longer is it about the gathering of Nintendo franchises throughout VG history, but the line-up of POPULAR characters in POPULAR franchises!

And this, my freinds... is where things go to hell, the series is now steering in the direction of popular fandom. What about more Kirby? What about more Metroid? What about more DK? Now all fans wanted were more characters to represent already established franchsies, while those caring about Nintendo exposing us to more interpretations of Nintendo's history were left in the dust with dry and soar throats attempting to yell over the rabid fanboys for their desires to be heard.

Sakurai heard, but he did not hear well enough over the cries of fandom. As we jump to presumably last installment of the series later to be known as Smash Bros. Brawl!

3RD COMING (FINAL) FRANCHISES (SSBB/SBX)

The Mirror of Palutena (Kid Icarus)
Pikmin
Wario

3RD PARTY

Metal Gear
Sonic

EXTRA FRACNHISE????:dizzy:

Robot???:psycho:

So what do we have here? Wario is OK, at least they introduced him in the Wario ware theme. The Mirror of Palutena's (Kid Icarus's) Pit! An old classic, forgotten franchise finally jumps into the ring! Sakurai must have pushed his creative juices for this one! Pikmin and Olimar?! Now we're getting somewhere! Pokemon trainer?! The main character of Pokemon AND the FACE of Pokemon?! This is all in the STARTING line up!? One could shake in anticipation at the idea of the unlockable characters and what franchises were yet to be revealed. It was too good to be true for general NINTENDO fans and it turned out to be so...

Marth
Ness
Falco
Jigglypuff
Wind Waker Link
Falco
Ganondorf
Lucario
Wolf
Luigi
Game and Watch

Not only do we unlock people from the same veteran franchises, but we unlock mostly veterans again. Apparently Melee was so great that it established an additional fan base of it's very own that clung to characters of the old roster, thus doubling the effects of the representation count within a franchise. Adding this to the rabid fan requests for more representation in an already established franchise and we get the final nail on the coffin to what could have been a historic roster of Nintendo.

ROB
Snake
Sonic

I will not count these characters, they are not Nintendo characters. But they are still welcome additions. Well, R.O.B. not so much.... And I don't hate Robot for reasons most people hate him. i hate him for what he represents. Contradiction of Sakurai. He has not originated FROM A PARTICULAR video game, yes, he was IN video games, but he did not originate from them. He does not have the NORMAL capabilities of fighting that are standard in the game as Sakurai seems to have stated were important. Yet, some character end up not playable or assist trophies who actually CAN fight normally. This shows that there was no justification for him claiming that an Animal Crossing human can't fight (NO I am not an animal crossing fanboy).

After scanning several boards and reviewing threads of fan favorites and reviewing moveset ideas. There were MANY good ideas from fans even for characters that I didn't care for (I remember seeing an AMAZING moveset for a Duck Hunt-Duck Hunting Dog team). There were MANY franchises that should have gotten some character representation.

But in the end, when I look at the stage representation and then look at the roster, something doesn't feel right. It feels like Sakurai gave up about two-thirds of the way through when working on the roster and resorted to just random fandom picks. REGARDLESS of popularity, it is the history of Nintendo and the gathering of franchises that matter most to the roster. The fandom didn't destroy them game as it WILL STILL be AMAZING, but it completely ripped the roster to shreds...:urg:

Oh really? Because all I hear is rant, rant, rant.

Broly

Smash Lord
is megaman really all wuts pissing ppl off? 1 character? let it go, hes been in marvelvscapcom games, u dont see them say if we had mario then OMG. we got snake n sonic, now let it go

NessPaulaJeffPoo

Smash Cadet

...:urg:

First of all, you are speaking in first person, thus making it your own opinion, thus deaming it a rant. Also its too long and your sarcasm even enhances you negative opinion.

Second,

If you say that is was Super Smash "Nintendo" Bros., than all Nintendo characters should be open to the game. Did he put in Nintendo's best in the first game? Yes. But the only way to make it worse would be to have taken some of those characters out of the following games. But he didn't.

Adding characters does not hurt a roster. If anything it helps it. No one is making you be R.O.B. or Lucas. You cannot say the the 64 roster was best because the following rosters did not get worse. As long as they keep the characters they started with, more characters do not hurt a roster.

BIG C

Smash Master
the game should be fun but i agree with oldskool even if there were 15 chars added they made geedubya return and added R.O.B I didn't even know about R.O.B until a couple yrs ago and I had the original NES. It's not something that was that huge to make him a char those 2 char slots could have been geno and like sum1 cooler than R.O.B or geedubya. But since they took out pichu idc.

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
First of all, you are speaking in first person, thus making it your own opinion, thus deaming it a rant. Also its too long and your sarcasm even enhances you negative opinion.

Second,

If you say that is was Super Smash "Nintendo" Bros., than all Nintendo characters should be open to the game. Did he put in Nintendo's best in the first game? Yes. But the only way to make it worse would be to have taken some of those characters out of the following games. But he didn't.

Adding characters does not hurt a roster. If anything it helps it. No one is making you be R.O.B. or Lucas. You cannot say the the 64 roster was best because the following rosters did not get worse. As long as they keep the characters they started with, more characters do not hurt a roster.
He should have added MORE franchises not added to the ones already established. It's nothing more than fan service. NOTHING MORE, that is the problem.

DevilRyodo

Smash Cadet
Brawl is going to contain the most epic fight in video game history that people have been dreaming of for over a decade. They added Sonic, and now it's possible to pit him off against Mario. This is what Smash is about, it's pitting off characters in dream matches. And you don't dream bigger than Sonic vs Mario.

All Brawl did was add on to what the original Smash did. Add more characters, add more variety, add more content, and even brought it online for everyone to make their dream matches.

FrozenHero

Smash Rookie
I Feel The Same Way, The Final Roster Was Awfull. I Was Expecting Amazing Other Characters Based On What We Saw As The Starting Roster. But Then We're Left With Only A Few Truly New Characters. I Feel Awfull When I See The Final Roster. I Still Want The Game But Now My Hopes For More Characters Are Gone.
Is There A Chance There Will Be Any More New Characters?

SamDvds

Smash Ace
it could be that after sonic's addition, the bar was set so high everything else after that didnt seem up to par with how the game appeared to be progressing. i mean, im fine with the roster ever since they announced u can start with zss by holding R. but i feel bad for the ppl who wanted Geno and other chars. and didnt get them. but ANYONE would have been better than R.O.B. ...i mean adding him is like adding a Teddy Ruxbin or something.

Zant3tsuken

Smash Journeyman
I just have to say that this threads title irritates me. It is quite clearly a rant. I used to read WoW forums man. I know a rant when I see one.

TenzeiX

Smash Cadet
I love the new smash roster! I don't get why so many people are complaining. The fact that Solid Snake is in this game already give Brawl the EPIC status.
The whole reason why people don't like the roster is because of three very big reasons.

1.3 characters that have the same FS

In my opinion woopdy doo!!! Their whole fighting styles and a moves have been revamped.

2.Clone's....

Yes disappointing, but none the less they have all been "luigified". In my opinion that is better then a clone after watching Ganon play for like 2 minutes I feel in love with his moves, he is in fact if not better then his old self in melee besides his running /sigh lol. Toon Link FS is different then Link's so thats a shine of hope and his air a moves are completely different.

3.R.O.B

R.O.B I never in my wildest dreams thought a robot like that would make it into smash....None the less he did and when he was revealed the world imploded basically. Not all people enjoy him because well for one there was so many more to chose from like Geno, Ridley, Takamaru, and Isaac what I see R.O.B as is a filler something there for space and a good laugh but otherwise he should have some good strategy to him and be a fun character.

BTW I love the new roster >.>

Top Bottom