• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why the hate on smash4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayday

Smash Cadet
I don't understand. Why shouldn't Smash 4 be considered a part of the "SMASH" community? Are you telling me that Smash 4 players don't belong to the Smash community because their game might be less competitive? That's literal elitism. Some people like Melee more, some people like Smash 4 more. The least you could do is respect the fact that some people want to play Smash 4. There is an audience for it. 800+ entrants at a national is very good

khadeezy

Smash Rookie
It's not satisfying to play. It's not fun to watch. It's too slow. I owned the 3DS version and that was all I needed to experience to avoid the Wii U iteration.

ObdurateMARio

Smash Apprentice
What happened at APEX is being thrown around like the second holocaust. A bunch of people got pissed because they were streaming the game that I'd say 2/3-3/4 people weren't even there for over the event that almost everyone was there for. It sucks for Zero, and I feel for him. But nobody'll ever cheer for Zero at Smash 4 GF like they cheer for Mango or something at Melee GF. We might as well face up to the elephant in the room, which is that at a given Smash event, the majority of people are there for Melee. If you start showing other events over the main event, people are gonna get pissed. It wasn't a diss against Zero, wasn't a diss against Smash 4, it was a diss against having a side event eclipse the main event. It was stupid that Smash 4 was on stream over Melee. IMO, they both should've been on a stream, but if it had to be one, there is no question.

It sucks to have to phrase it this way, but it's out of the necessity of where we've come from as a community. Melee is our competitive golden child. It is the best competitive entry into the series, bar none. It isn't even close. If you love any of the others, that's awesome, this post isn't about putting you down. But people need to understand, since Nintendo refuses to actually release a competitively viable successor to Melee, that's our poster child. That's our rally cry. That's the face we put on to the FGC, and it's take over a decade of lumps for that face to get the respect it deserves. If you guys think what happened at APEX was awful, wait until the SF and MvC kids get ahold of you. Smash 4 is a pretty casual party game, not that that's bad. But if you really want this game on display, the FGC is gonna tear you apart and see what's left standing. It's how it is. And if a group of people chanting 'Melee' has caused this much distress, EVO is going to end Smash 4 as a thing unless people thicken their skins a little bit and realize their place as an unproven underdog that just doesn't have the guns to hang with the big dogs.

Don't take this as a "Smash 4 is garbage blah blah blah". But I put this more politely previously and see it had minimal impact. And 95%+ of you saying how Smash 4 deserves respect, blah blah blah, probably won't be playing that game in a year or two. Smash 4 doesn't deserve to be held in the same regard as Melee. Melee is its superior, objectively. Smash 4 wouldn't even likely have a competitive venue if it weren't for the name that Melee made for its franchise, and continues to draw.

All in all, Zero, sucks man. But the Melee chants weren't that obscene, weren't out of line, weren't disrespectful. AT WORST they were insensitive. But they were wholly justified. The main event is Melee. If there can only be one event on at once, don't make everybody watch the side event. Don't yank us around.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
This isnt a personal attack, but your reasoning is bad.

You arent dropping truth bombs youre listing a bias reality. The true reality is they were both main events, if melee wanted to end at a reasonable hour they couldve removed it from the stream earlier when it wasnt top 8 so Smash 4 top 8 could get started. Melee took up the most time on the stream by far and wouldve been the easiest to cut down on to improve the schedule. In reality this was the fault of the streamers and schedulers, yet all of your complaints are directed at a game. There absolutely 0 indication that smash 4 got streamed over melee and 0 justification for what certainly are out of line, obscene, and disrespectful actions.

The rest of your post seems to be uninformed and opinionated game comparison. Provide a real reason that any of your post has merit and perhaps we can take your position in a serious manner.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
All of this just makes me sick. Why can't we all just get along? I mean, I may not be that much into Melee, but I can understand that some people are, and I respect that. But why can't people from the Melee community also share the same respect for the other games? Are you that afraid that if you're not boastful and cruel to the others, your own community will die? If so, you're very wrong. If anything, you're just trashing up your own community. It's the ones that hate the most that will be the quickest to die out in the end. Just some words of advice here. We're all a part of the Smash community, as such- we should all be on the same side. No matter what game we play the most.
And to Zero, I'm very sorry for what happened. You played well, and congratulations on 1st place!

Last edited:

Mayday

Smash Cadet
What happened at APEX is being thrown around like the second holocaust. A bunch of people got pissed because they were streaming the game that I'd say 2/3-3/4 people weren't even there for over the event that almost everyone was there for. It sucks for Zero, and I feel for him. But nobody'll ever cheer for Zero at Smash 4 GF like they cheer for Mango or something at Melee GF. We might as well face up to the elephant in the room, which is that at a given Smash event, the majority of people are there for Melee. If you start showing other events over the main event, people are gonna get pissed. It wasn't a diss against Zero, wasn't a diss against Smash 4, it was a diss against having a side event eclipse the main event. It was stupid that Smash 4 was on stream over Melee. IMO, they both should've been on a stream, but if it had to be one, there is no question.

It sucks to have to phrase it this way, but it's out of the necessity of where we've come from as a community. Melee is our competitive golden child. It is the best competitive entry into the series, bar none. It isn't even close. If you love any of the others, that's awesome, this post isn't about putting you down. But people need to understand, since Nintendo refuses to actually release a competitively viable successor to Melee, that's our poster child. That's our rally cry. That's the face we put on to the FGC, and it's take over a decade of lumps for that face to get the respect it deserves. If you guys think what happened at APEX was awful, wait until the SF and MvC kids get ahold of you. Smash 4 is a pretty casual party game, not that that's bad. But if you really want this game on display, the FGC is gonna tear you apart and see what's left standing. It's how it is. And if a group of people chanting 'Melee' has caused this much distress, EVO is going to end Smash 4 as a thing unless people thicken their skins a little bit and realize their place as an unproven underdog that just doesn't have the guns to hang with the big dogs.

Don't take this as a "Smash 4 is garbage blah blah blah". But I put this more politely previously and see it had minimal impact. And 95%+ of you saying how Smash 4 deserves respect, blah blah blah, probably won't be playing that game in a year or two. Smash 4 doesn't deserve to be held in the same regard as Melee. Melee is its superior, objectively. Smash 4 wouldn't even likely have a competitive venue if it weren't for the name that Melee made for its franchise, and continues to draw.

All in all, Zero, sucks man. But the Melee chants weren't that obscene, weren't out of line, weren't disrespectful. AT WORST they were insensitive. But they were wholly justified. The main event is Melee. If there can only be one event on at once, don't make everybody watch the side event. Don't yank us around.
There were 3 and a half hours of Smash 4 to the ~10 hours of Melee streamed on Finals day. Melee doubles, Melee singles, and bad TO choices are what really held up the tournament (you know, besides losing an entire day). Smash 4 singles top 8 were ready to go around noon. Top 8 for Smash 4 did take too long, but it wasnt the main reason why bracket was behind

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
The literal issue with melee at Apex, and this is coming from someone who expected all of the main singles games to be on the main stream is this:

They didn't do any of the secondary Melee games on TeamSpooky, it was all on VGBootCamp which meant a lot of people were waiting.

They decided to play just about if not all of the top winner's matches from the final bracket on stream. I understand that stream is a major importance but this was beyond overkill. It made everyone, well, wait.

Same applies for doubles, they sacrificed time for a whole lot of singles events by playing a whole lot of dubz events on the main stream, it got to a point where Smash 4 doubles had to be on the secondary stream as melee pools/dubz were taking too long and while smash 4 was getting to it's midpoint, 64 was broadcasted.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The major problem I found with smash 4 was not the length of the matches (outside of the Rosalina ones as well, it's pretty obvious that certain characters to win have to camp.) It really was:

The waiting in-between rounds/matches. Listen, I know you guys are trying to win a whole lot of money/gain fame but don't take several minutes to choose your stage/characters. I mean people complain about Mew2King and other taking too much time between melee games (which people have criticized him for 1-2 minute warmups.)

There are a whole lot of Spooky/VGBootCamp videos that are very long, and not because of the length of the game. A minute to a minute and a half doesn't make it so smash 4 took that long on stream. It was this frankly obnoxious waiting.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All of these extensions/extra sets/3/5 sets instead of 2/3 resulted in

A lot of other games such as brawl/64 not being broadcasted when they were supposed to have been. Thankfully, Spooky/LA_Smash recorded 64 and well brawl was done with camcorder (nice demonstration of #OneUnit Apex team) Fun fact, Apex started as a Brawl regional, now they don't record it.

Smash 4 winner being cheered...to leave the stage so Melee can begin.

The tournament ending past 3 in the morning, in blizzard like conditions.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In all honesty, this was the biggest event that ever happened and a whole lot of stuff went wrong the first day. I would kindly suggest that if a whole day of an 1800 or so person tournament is cancelled with everyone having to rush and maybe 100-150 people, if not a lot more being DQ'd, that you don't take that long to stream any game, even if it is the "main game" of Apex.

Last edited:

twizzlerj

Smash Journeyman
Can this thread please be closed? I don't like checking out melee discussion to see people talking about why they hate smash 4 this is melee discussion.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Can this thread please be closed? I don't like checking out melee discussion to see people talking about why they hate smash 4 this is melee discussion.
It could just be moved.

I mean the original point of the thread did concern a certain portion of the melee community

ObdurateMARio

Smash Apprentice
This isnt a personal attack, but your reasoning is bad.

You arent dropping truth bombs youre listing a bias reality. The true reality is they were both main events, if melee wanted to end at a reasonable hour they couldve removed it from the stream earlier when it wasnt top 8 so Smash 4 top 8 could get started. Melee took up the most time on the stream by far and wouldve been the easiest to cut down on to improve the schedule. In reality this was the fault of the streamers and schedulers, yet all of your complaints are directed at a game. There absolutely 0 indication that smash 4 got streamed over melee and 0 justification for what certainly are out of line, obscene, and disrespectful actions.

The rest of your post seems to be uninformed and opinionated game comparison. Provide a real reason that any of your post has merit and perhaps we can take your position in a serious manner.
I just want to foreward this as I mean none of this in an offensive fashion, I'm not trying to troll, or insult anyone. These are my feelings, and the feeling of many that I've spoken to. I reiterate, I don't hate Smash 4. I don't care about Smash 4 at all. I don't care who wins, I don't care who loses, I don't care if it exists or if it falls off the face of the planet. So as somebody who is thoroughly neutral on it, I will furthermore explain my position.

Melee is king of the Smash community. Melee is its backbone, it is the (finally) respected iteration of the franchise by the FGC. It is the game that is the best in a competitive scene, due to its higher skill ceiling, wealth of offensive, defensive, and movement options, and (this one is more subjective and is an IMO statement as opposed to the rest which are objective) superior character balance. If we can't come to agreement on the fact that Melee is the king of the Smash community, then we won't find much common ground. At Apex, Melee's pot was larger, it had more entrants, drew more viewers for top 8, etc etc etc. This doesn't discredit Smash 4 from being successful in its own right, but Melee is king, it, by every metric that I can conjure that you can relate to a tournament setting. It is Smash 4's superior in this setting.

Again, my complaints aren't directed at a game, and these complaints aren't a personal attack. The chants were a response to the (as I have already evidenced) main event being taken off stream to watch a side event, that the majority of people in attendance and online didn't want to see over Melee. Smash 4 was undoubtedly the largest side event. No argument there. But the fact of the matter is I, and I believe most of the Apex viewers, would rather have watched Amsa run through Melee's losers bracket than to watch Smash 4's top 8. Tbh, I personally watched a game, and found it to be boring, so I went and made dinner. I believe many people feel similarly.

This works down into my point that Smash 4 got hate because it got something it didn't deserve, at Melee's expense. Is a lot of it the TOs/events fault? Sure. Is a lot of it due to events that couldn't be controlled? Yup. Does that still mean that as a community we have to be ok with it? No. As far as I, and I'm sure many, many others are concerned, I would prefer that Smash 4 were not at Apex, not because I actually have any feeling towards Smash 4, but because I do not care about Smash 4, and it took away from my ability to watch Melee.

Bake it down, and compare Melee to Smash 4 on an objective basis as to their credentials as competitive games, and you'll find that Melee is the superior game.
-Far more responsive and snappy to player inputs
-physics/hitstun dynamics that allow for fluid, extended combos based on reading of opponent DI, and a significantly faster pace of play
-A wealth of greater movement options, include wave dashes, Shield DI, Wavelands, etc
-Greater defensive options allowing for counterattacks, namely light shielding, and power/perfect shielding
-Greater offensive options, due to the superior physics/hitstun dynamics
-A more tournament viable collection of stages and characters
-Greater character balance
-This point is somewhat conentious, so I will explain my reasoning. In Melee, the top 8 characters are all viable against each other, and are fully capable of winning large tourneys without the use of secondaries. In Smash 4, I strongly believe you'd be hard pressed to see anyone not use Diddy and win a tournament. Fox is the only character that maybe you could make this argument to, But I still disagree. Armada used Peach/Fox, PPMD used Marth/Falco, so on. Diddy is more out of balance with the rest of the roster than Fox is in Melee. And what determines game balance is largely how out of alignment is the top character(s) with the rest of the roster. Same reason why Brawl is poorly balanced (Meta Knight). Maybe this is due to an undeveloped meta. Maybe it isn't. But at this point in time, these are the facts.

Melee is the better game. It doesn't mean you shouldn't enjoy it if you like it. It doesn't mean you shouldn't play it in a competitive setting. Just understand that Melee is king of this community, and when it is eclipsed against public support, people will be pissed. Welcome to the real world. We don't all hold hands and sing kumbaya. And like I said before, if the community is so self conscious as to think the way the Melee community treated them is unfair, EVO is going to end the scene. The FGC is brutal, and if you whine to them like a lot of people do re: Melee, they're going to laugh at you and spit on you.

Mayday

Smash Cadet
I just want to foreward this as I mean none of this in an offensive fashion, I'm not trying to troll, or insult anyone. These are my feelings, and the feeling of many that I've spoken to. I reiterate, I don't hate Smash 4. I don't care about Smash 4 at all. I don't care who wins, I don't care who loses, I don't care if it exists or if it falls off the face of the planet. So as somebody who is thoroughly neutral on it, I will furthermore explain my position.

Melee is king of the Smash community. Melee is its backbone, it is the (finally) respected iteration of the franchise by the FGC. It is the game that is the best in a competitive scene, due to its higher skill ceiling, wealth of offensive, defensive, and movement options, and (this one is more subjective and is an IMO statement as opposed to the rest which are objective) superior character balance. If we can't come to agreement on the fact that Melee is the king of the Smash community, then we won't find much common ground. At Apex, Melee's pot was larger, it had more entrants, drew more viewers for top 8, etc etc etc. This doesn't discredit Smash 4 from being successful in its own right, but Melee is king, it, by every metric that I can conjure that you can relate to a tournament setting. It is Smash 4's superior in this setting.

Again, my complaints aren't directed at a game, and these complaints aren't a personal attack. The chants were a response to the (as I have already evidenced) main event being taken off stream to watch a side event, that the majority of people in attendance and online didn't want to see over Melee. Smash 4 was undoubtedly the largest side event. No argument there. But the fact of the matter is I, and I believe most of the Apex viewers, would rather have watched Amsa run through Melee's losers bracket than to watch Smash 4's top 8. Tbh, I personally watched a game, and found it to be boring, so I went and made dinner. I believe many people feel similarly.

This works down into my point that Smash 4 got hate because it got something it didn't deserve, at Melee's expense. Is a lot of it the TOs/events fault? Sure. Is a lot of it due to events that couldn't be controlled? Yup. Does that still mean that as a community we have to be ok with it? No. As far as I, and I'm sure many, many others are concerned, I would prefer that Smash 4 were not at Apex, not because I actually have any feeling towards Smash 4, but because I do not care about Smash 4, and it took away from my ability to watch Melee.

Bake it down, and compare Melee to Smash 4 on an objective basis as to their credentials as competitive games, and you'll find that Melee is the superior game.
-physics/hitstun dynamics that allow for fluid, extended combos based on reading of opponent DI, and a significantly faster pace of play
-A wealth of greater movement options, include wave dashes, Shield DI, Wavelands, etc
-Greater defensive options allowing for counterattacks, namely light shielding, and power/perfect shielding
-Greater offensive options, due to the superior physics/hitstun dynamics
-Greater character balance
-This point is somewhat conentious, so I will explain my reasoning. In Melee, the top 8 characters are all viable against each other, and are fully capable of winning large tourneys without the use of secondaries. In Smash 4, I strongly believe you'd be hard pressed to see anyone not use Diddy and win a tournament. Fox is the only character that maybe you could make this argument to, But I still disagree. Armada used Peach/Fox, PPMD used Marth/Falco, so on. Diddy is more out of balance with the rest of the roster than Fox is in Melee. And what determines game balance is largely how out of alignment is the top character(s) with the rest of the roster. Same reason why Brawl is poorly balanced (Meta Knight). Maybe this is due to an undeveloped meta. Maybe it isn't. But at this point in time, these are the facts.

Melee is the better game. It doesn't mean you shouldn't enjoy it if you like it. It doesn't mean you shouldn't play it in a competitive setting. Just understand that Melee is king of this community, and when it is eclipsed against public support, people will be pissed. Welcome to the real world. We don't all hold hands and sing kumbaya. And like I said before, if the community is so self conscious as to think the way the Melee community treated them is unfair, EVO is going to end the scene. The FGC is brutal, and if you whine to them like a lot of people do re: Melee, they're going to laugh at you and spit on you.
I don't feel like arguing the other points because we will be going around in circles for hours.

But Apex is about every (legal) Smash game and the community. Not about individual titles.

It's a sad day when you have to fight for tolerance within your own community

Last edited:

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Hopefully reasonable people reading this are cool but I got to be real with elitist culture.
I dont think anyone was ok with how Apex went, where you send your frustrations is the issue. Fair or not the fate of the smash titles are tied to each other. Maybe that sucks to some extent for both sides (on the newer games side because certain parts of melee culture are relentlessly harmful to the other games) but its just reality and also does have benefits. Separating the games and sending melee back to grassroots, all will eventually hit a brick wall in growth. Community leaders understand this and are trying to build melee into a viable sport that competitors, TO's, and content producers can make a significant living from and produce more content for you to enjoy. The fact that some work against them towards this goal is a slap in the face to those who are bringing you such enjoyment.
At Apex, Melee's pot was larger, it had more entrants, drew more viewers for top 8, etc etc etc. This doesn't discredit Smash 4 from being successful in its own right, but Melee is king, it, by every metric that I can conjure that you can relate to a tournament setting. It is Smash 4's superior in this setting.

Smash 4 had 96k viewers and 800 attendants which is a ridiculously large amount of people to suggest go screw off. Amsa was the coolest thing about melee top 8 though, imo he was more interesting then the rest of the top 8 in melee. Side note, Grand Finals itself of smash 4 actually had more viewers, Melee's top 8 peaked at a higher number (leffen vs mango $1000 MM). Since I know there will be criticism about it being Grand Finals, 10k viewers did drop after Smash 4 grand finals (yes I know regardless theres always qualifier when it comes to numbers, something others should keep in mind too). Pot bonuses for both games were the same.

Ultimately none of this matters since it relies on the TO's intention. Smash 4 couldve had 10 entrants and 5 viewers and it still wouldve been a main event.
Melee is king of the Smash community. Melee is its backbone, it is the (finally) respected iteration of the franchise by the FGC. It is the game that is the best in a competitive scene, due to its higher skill ceiling, wealth of offensive, defensive, and movement options, and (this one is more subjective and is an IMO statement as opposed to the rest which are objective) superior character balance. If we can't come to agreement on the fact that Melee is the king of the Smash community, then we won't find much common ground.
Most of this is opinionated or has nothing to do with game quality, opinionated statements arent useful. If youre talking about the game itself in some objective sense this is something Im willing to bet would not stand if you had to argue your overall point. Melee is a great game and certainly has its strengths, as I stated earlier each game focuses on a different skillset. But it certainly isnt more "competitive" then other smash titles. idc if players have an opinion on this one way or the other, but anyone trying to claim facts on this point as justifications for their behavior are speaking biasly out of their rear end. Keep in mind I've actually competed and researched the various titles as well as competitive theory and (to a lesser but still notable extent) game design so please be sure you can make informed points if you wish to defend them. Note that Im not bashing on melee, right now I play it more then anything else and enjoy it quite a bit. But there's a lot of delusion that runs along with meelitist culture (not everyone of course).

Since you made some points below Ill address them in red.
This is actually incorrect, the biggest reason controllers are such a big deal in melee are because of a dead zone in the center that requires a joystick to have the right amount of flex for max responsiveness. Newer titles that dead zone doesnt exist. You mightve meant this to tie in with movement options, but its essentially the same point
Melee combos are largely reaction based not read based. Most times you dont have to read opponent DI you watch and act accordingly. Melee does have faster gameplay. Neither of these points really makes a game objectively better.
[-A wealth of greater movement options, include wave dashes, Shield DI, Wavelands, etc
-Greater offensive options, due to the superior physics/hitstun dynamics]
Options add complexity not depth, having too many options can potentially remove depth.
-Greater character balance]
Right now there's only one Diddy player capable of winning big tournaments, and hes put ridiculously more effort into being the best player then even the second closest person. This isnt a 5 gods situation, Zero is the best player period, capable of winning with almost anyone. You didnt really spend a lot of time talking about smash 4 or Brawl, which leads me to believe its not something youre too informed on. Its better to just not comment in those cases usually. Also Metaknight was easy to succeed with at lower level, but at top level success varied between 5ish characters. I think MK has won one major in the last 2+ years.

Fox is a character harder to succeed with at lower levels but who's very dominating at top level, thats the trend we see right now. Marth and Falco potentially put up a fight. A step below top level we see more diversity (puff, sheik, peach, etc.). Melee would be good if it honestly did reduce to fox ditto's, but part of melee elitism has such a hard time accepting criticism theyll go to the greatest lengths to show the game's character viability isnt poor. That being said I do think people john about their character too much, it shouldnt be a problem until you reach higher levels.

Last edited:

Snowbird

Smash Cadet
^ dude, sm4sh is pretty boring compared to melee in a competitive sense. The fact that you are arguing that is just weird. You're trying to refute his points but they are all valid. Like the entire sm4sh community were already in love with the game before it even came out, you guys are so extremely biased it's hard to talk to you. We ALL wanted sm4sh to be fun, to be fast, to be competitive, But it is not fast, its not competitively fun, its not advanced. Every melee player wanted a good game, as did all the brawl players, and all the people who didn't play for years. But stop trying to make it something it isn't. Even the games creator says its not. He doesn't even like competition. He wants the loser to feel happy. He wants to appeal to a wider audience. He ultimately just wants to sell an extra copy of the game.

Turn on items, play FFA, and then you have a fun game. But otherwise it's not. sm4sh is the sorta game that would have been awesome with another single player mode like brawl had. Even my cousin who was a die-hard brawl fan and was in love with sm4sh already tells me he is disappointed in Sakurai and now (for whatever reason, idk) thinks melee is the best.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
What youre really trying to say is that for those who value and judge games on their tech skill and a fast pace, smash 4 as compared to melee isnt close enough to melee. I sympathize, many people who played Brawl think Brawl is better with a larger focus on read based strings, more cerebral and deep gameplay, and a more interesting neutral; myself included. Sad as it is the game disappoints you, its not really an informed statement or an argument. The game's skill focus doesn't come close enough to matching melee's. As a judgement on its competitive worth and depth however, it doesnt say much on its own. Plus in the end how fun a game is matters more then anything else. Apex had 800+ entrants 95k viewers and some melee players sound like the old men telling them to stop having fun. The problem with the group of players that so loudly hates is that instead of letting people come to their own judgements they force their own, which heavily taints the perspective they have.

Last edited:

ObdurateMARio

Smash Apprentice
You're absolutely correct. Melee's complexity makes it inferior. Let's all hop on the Smash 4 schoolbus masterrace, AKA the game that is so bloody slow you play it with 2 stocks... Melee's combos at the highest level are read based oftentimes, and it is possible to follow up in Melee in a way not possible in Smash 4 because Smash 4 is slow, floaty, and the hitstun mechanics suck. Period. 9/10 times Smash 4 devolves into a war of smacking each other back and forth until someone gets offstage. Then the aggressor tries to edgeguard, usually fails, even at the highest level, reset. I'm not even going to comment on your attempt to state the MK and Diddy are not OP.

"Faster games aren't objectively better." Faster games allot for higher skill ceilings. Especially in this type of fighting game.

No I don't spend much time talking about Brawl or Smash 4. Because Brawl is a poor game that almost killed this community, until Melee resuscitated it YEARS after its release.

Melee is far more responsive. Ask any cross-title player. The criticism of Melee by Gamespot noted it's "hyper-sensitivity" and "near over-responsiveness". Nintendo Spin stated "Melee is too fast for its own good." Melee's meta is still developing after 14 years. Smash 4 won't be played in 14 years.

Don't sit here and try to tell me that Smash 4 is a better competitive game than Melee, because you ahve no empirical evidence. I've provided tons of examples, and you responded with the equivalent of "nah those things aren't actually good things." Smash 4 is easier to play. I've played it plenty. I hate playing it. I win against every casual player I've played against, and I don't take it any farther than casual, because that's all it's really good for. I've already been playing a superior game for 14 years, why on Earth would I step down to a simpler, slower, and more inferior game? Combos in Smash 4, even by the best players, are nothing compared to the ones in Melee. Smash 4 is, by comparison, a boring war of attrition.

And it legitimately blows my mind that you state that Melee's wealth of options is a detrimental thing. Giving a player more options, as long as they are all in balance with each other, raises the skill ceiling and intellectual factor of a game, by giving players an ever expanding toolbox with which to respond and initiate with the other player. As long as one option isn't right all the time, then it is absolutely a godsend for the depth of a game.

And lastly, if you think Smash 4 would even have a scene 1/4th the size it does now without Melee, I've got a bridge in New York I'm looking to sell for a steal. However as Smash 4 disappears, which tbh i expect it to within 2-3 years, Melee will continue to grow. It was growing well before Smash 4 came out. It's stood on its own for over a decade, and today is stronger than it's ever been. Smash 4 absolutely walked into a lot of it's presence by virtue of nothing more than its name. The name that Melee built.

Lastly, I literally can't tell if you're trolling or not. If you are, well done.

ObdurateMARio

Smash Apprentice
Here's a question I'm going to counterpose to Smash 4 players.

How can you enjoy trying to play this game competitively? What is it about the slow, campy, defensive-biased, projectile heavy style of play that makes it enjoyable? I mean this seriously, I don't get it. I really don't understand at all. Is it because it's more accessible? I can get that. Is it simply because it's newer, prettier, or more likely to be played in a party setting? I just can't see a single thing in the gameplay that makes me think "Wow, that was incredibly sick." Even in Smash 4 Grand Finals, I'm just like yup. yup. yup. ok. yup. Zero wins.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Well theres no reason to be bothered. For some reason certain melee players wish others to accept melee is better without discussion, and when questioned or asked to support their stance they get upset. Discussion should be welcome especially if you feel your point is solid.

Anyways, I didnt say smash 4 was better (or worse). The reason I grouped your examples together is because all of your examples fall under "Melee has more options, therefore it is a deeper game". More options certainly make a game more complex, but one thing you have to understand is that theres a difference between complexity and depth. You can toss endless mechanics into a game but that doesnt mean itll have depth (it can also remove depth). Pacing also has to do with complexity. By contrast even simple games can have a lot of depth depending on yomi layers. The degree of complexity people enjoy is personal preference, and at some point games can be outright bad for being too complex.

Skill ceilings are a tricky thing. If you add a cake baking contest every time you take a stock you've increased the skill ceiling to be good (example courtesy of Sirlin). I think most people would say thats not a good thing. In reality we have to determine whether the skills are worth measuring, and ultimately this comes down to preference. This is why I say smash games measure a similar skillset but drastically differ in their focus. The other thing you have to consider is that if you put more focus on one skill without increasing the others youre effectively reducing the importance of the other skills youre testing.

Youre correct that melee does have points where combo extension are read based. That's actually my favorite part of melee, and in fact they made an entire game that centers around it named Super Smash Brothers Brawl. Its also the biggest reason Brawl probably has the deepest gameplay between the smash titles.

As for the scenes, anyone who believes Brawl almost killed competitive smash wasnt around before the documentary. Its contentious that melee was ever really that threatened, the scene dipped but it had a strong consistent foundation. I completely agree the newer games benefit from the foundation melee has built more then is truly acknowledged, but melee has also benefited from the attention new games draw and the new younger players it brings. I have immense respect for the community leaders that have made melee what it is, unfortunately many trolls and elitists go against their wishes in bringing lots of dissension between smash games.

My point is I understand you don't like smash 4, just respect others that enjoy something different.
Here's a question I'm going to counterpose to Smash 4 players.

How can you enjoy trying to play this game competitively? What is it about the slow, campy, defensive-biased, projectile heavy style of play that makes it enjoyable? I mean this seriously, I don't get it. I really don't understand at all. Is it because it's more accessible? I can get that. Is it simply because it's newer, prettier, or more likely to be played in a party setting? I just can't see a single thing in the gameplay that makes me think "Wow, that was incredibly sick." Even in Smash 4 Grand Finals, I'm just like yup. yup. yup. ok. yup. Zero wins.
I find that theres things I like and dislike about each game. I know some people just like the things they like and thats the end of it, I need more variety. Its hard for me to judge the game fully right now, but the character that I main is fun and viable and that alone is enough for me to enjoy it. The game's also in a discovery mode at the moment and I find that to be pretty fun and interesting in a way only a new game can have. In the end the game might not have as much depth as Id like, but its easier to have fun with in a lot of ways.

Last edited:

ObdurateMARio

Smash Apprentice
My intent is not to disrespect Smash 4, but simply to point out that Melee is king. Not that Smash 4 isn't big or whatever, but Melee is king. Smash 4 gets a basic level of respect, but I'm not going to respect it equally to Melee, because the game and the players haven't earned it. Maybe someday that changes, but as of now Smash 4 hasn't proven itself as a scene, as a community, or as a game. So I afford it and its players the same basic respect I afford other players of different games, and no more than that. As of this point, where I'm standing, and to many other competitive Melee players, Smash 4 was a disappointment. We wanted a return to fast paced, technical, exciting game play, and instead we got a game that is oftentimes slower than ssbb. As a result, until Smash 4 is *proven* to be as good a competitive game as Melee, in regards to speed, depth, technical and fast playstyles, I have no respect for the game more than I do for pro Mario kart players. Not that I disrespect Mario Kart players. I just don't play it. And I don't care.

Melee is a significantly "left field" title in smash. Its also been the most competitively successful, by far. Maybe Melee and Smash 4 should hold separate events. I don't see the whole #oneunit thing holding up to the real world. I'm not gonna feign respect or pretend to like something that I don't feel that way about. If a lot of Melee players feel the same way, which I think they do, maybe this should be taken under greater consideration.

Also, Melee players don't mess with smash 4 enough to warrant these complaint responses. If you can't take the heat, get outta the kitchen. This is the FGC, everybody talks smack about everybody's game. It's half the fun.

NotMike

Smash Rookie
While a ton of people have already answered your question, I'm going to throw in my two cents.

I am right here with you OP. I don't understand the hate to Smash 4. Yes, it isn't like Melee. Why does that instantly mean Smash 4 is inferior? Melee is fast paced, technical, tough, and rewarding. Smash 4 is, when compared to melee, slow and easy to pick up, but hard to master. Smash 4 comes down to knowledge of your character's strenghts and weaknesses and what character you are facing more than just your technical knowledge. Why is that bad?

I consider every iteration of Smash a different game, not as a sequel., because it plays as such. N64 was slow and, frankly, clunky, but that was just because of the times. I've played it, and it is fun for casual, but I really don't like it any more than that. Brawl was very slow and precise. Could they have done without the tripping... of course they could have. Smash 4 is like a mix between Brawl and the basic Melee concepts - faster ground play and middle to slow aerial play. All of these have their pros and cons. Some peeople like the slow, precise gameplay while others like the fast paced technical play. I don't understand why one needs to be hated. Just accept that they're all good games, and you like one better.

For those who are hoping for a Melee-like sequel, we aren't going to get it. Period. Masahiro Sakuri has already said that was not his original intent for the game. He wants this to be a party game, and melee was too hard for the general public to just pick up. I can almost guarentee that we aren't going to get a Melee-like game from him. Maybe start looking to indie devs and Project M. (Yes I play and love Melee mainly, but come on guys. Use your heads)

Frankly, there's no reason to hate another iteration of Smash. Besides, what is it going to accomplish? It's going to split a gigantic community in two - the ones who like Melee and the ones who don't. Why segregate each other like that? It doesn't make sense.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Before I begin this, as I have noted several times, as well as in this post, I don't hate smash 4. I hope for it to succeed.

More options certainly make a game more complex, but one thing you have to understand is that theres a difference between complexity and depth.
The fact is that Melee is a combination of both. If there wasn't so much depth,people's techniques wouldn't have changed so much. If you happened to have played the game for a while/even for a short bit, you can clearly tell the difference between a 2006-2007 game and a 2009 2010 game (or a 2010 game and etc.) The fact that techniques are still being discovered shows the level of depth.

In terms of complexity, my literal only problem with Melee is that certain characters are too complex for my fingers. Oh well, I can main Luigi, who is fun and complex without the hand speed, or I could go Sheik, Peach, or Jiggles. The game happens to be quick enough and balanced enough to allow people who don't move complexly to win events, even if their fingers are slow.

I mean take a look at Borp. He doesn't wavedash and just reads and still wins vs a whole lot of people.

A game without depth or complexity becomes stale. That is the reason why Brawl died. Nothing new was being discovered. Brawl was at it's peak in the beginning 6 months/year and then when Salem won Apex.

Skill ceilings are a tricky thing. In reality we have to determine whether the skills are worth measuring, and ultimately this comes down to preference. This is why I say smash games measure a similar skillset but drastically differ in their focus. The other thing you have to consider is that if you put more focus on one skill without increasing the others youre effectively reducing the importance of the other skills youre testing.
They do differ drastically. It happens to be this that makes certain games more competitive. See below/above.

Youre correct that melee does have points where combo extension are read based. That's actually my favorite part of melee, and in fact they made an entire game that centers around it named Super Smash Brothers Brawl. Its also the biggest reason Brawl probably has the deepest gameplay between the smash titles
First off, if brawl had the deepest gameplay, it wouldn't have died. Here are the problems with the other smash games, and this is coming from someone who has played on a comp level in all of them, espec. 64.

Brawl: Too little combos, almost all reads, too strong a recovery/weak ledge play usually, isn't balanced as characters who have issues approaching lose, period. Infinite combos, characters live way too long. There is something wrong when there are 75-25 and worse matchups. However, the game is accessible.

Smash 64: Combos are too big/they are way too basic outside of people who wish to style, characters don't live long enough, looking for reads/combos result in air camping, recovery is bad outside of a few characters, ledge play is alright due to ledge DI mechanic, shielding is bad generally, too little stages. However, it is balanced, outside of the absolute top (there isn't a matchup below 70-30, with only 3/4 of them being that also.)

Oh yeah, forgot, the best person in Japan mains the weakest character in the US version/a low mid in the J version.......and wins national 150 person events.

Melee: Game is too fast, certain characters are too good vs. others, Sheik's down throw nullifies a good part of the cast, certain characters have issues approaching. However, people have won matchups with almost everyone due to:

The fact that this game happens to be that amazing combo of massive combos, ala 64, reads, ala brawl, and speed, ala itself.

As for the scenes, anyone who believes Brawl almost killed competitive smash wasnt around before the documentary.
I was around pre-doc. You are a good part wrong here. Brawl split the smash community and then a whole lot of fiascos regarding pot splitting and World EVO having items almost made the death of brawl, which almost made Melee die. People eventually went back and melee survived due to a few major tournament, thank you Alukard for RoM and others for other majors.

I'd like to see a RoB/Revival of Brawl, which some have suggested but as of right now, there isn't one as quite simply, it doesn't seem like the community itself wants to revive itself. Everyone from Brawl moved to Smash 4 as it happens to be similar. I wouldn't want to be part of a smash sub-community who abandoned their game as the newer and brighter one came out.

That is why I like the 64/melee communities, several games have come out and the scene got small for a bit and we didn't care. We grew back, on our own terms, without a whole lot of support. Specifically for 64, we have had 1/2 nationals every year in the US, and barely any other events, and the scene is still growing. We aren't complaining

My point is I understand you don't like smash 4, just respect others that enjoy something different. I find that theres things I like and dislike about each game. I know some people just like the things they like and thats the end of it, I need more variety. Its hard for me to judge the game fully right now, but the character that I main is fun and viable and that alone is enough for me to enjoy it. The game's also in a discovery mode at the moment and I find that to be pretty fun and interesting in a way only a new game can have. In the end the game might not have as much depth as Id like, but its easier to have fun with in a lot of ways.
I understand this, I am giving it time. I just don't expect it to last nearly as much time, especially if customs are banned.

Also, Melee players don't mess with smash 4 enough to warrant these complaint responses. If you can't take the heat, get outta the kitchen. This is the FGC, everybody talks smack about everybody's game. It's half the fun.
Lolthis

Last edited:
This whole thread is reminding me of my experience with Brawl back when I was playing it before getting into Melee.

1) People will joke about stuff and should not always be taken seriously. There are a few people I know that will respect the people who play Brawl, but simply have no want to play the game themselves. Some cracks at the game are made, but I know nothing is meant against the players. It is simply difference in what you value in a game.

2) There will be a general audience that make claims or opinions without really having gotten into a community at all. I played Brawl exclusively from 2008 to 2012. Then, I dropped it for Melee and have been playing it since 2010. There is a difference between playing a game for about 6 hours once a week with other competitive players for years straight and simply playing a game for a month. Until a person has really given one of these smash games a chance I am not opt to really take seriously what a person is saying.

3) Finally, to me there will always be those who are ill-informed, the fallacy of popular opinion (due to jokes), and the small few who like to watch the world burn. However, most miss communication I have seen is from the first two points of people taken jokes/cracks on a game too seriously or someone trying to negotiate with someone who is not willing to give something a try. Such people are often meant to be humored and no real reason to argue with diligently.
For those who like to watch the world burn, hopefully, you can recognize such individuals and simply ignore them.

But, any dislike for smash4 I think is on the level of dislike rather than straight up sinister hate. Hating something takes effort that not something many people have enough care to give lol

Last edited:

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
While a ton of people have already answered your question, I'm going to throw in my two cents.

I am right here with you OP. I don't understand the hate to Smash 4. Yes, it isn't like Melee. Why does that instantly mean Smash 4 is inferior? Melee is fast paced, technical, tough, and rewarding. Smash 4 is, when compared to melee, slow and easy to pick up, but hard to master. Smash 4 comes down to knowledge of your character's strenghts and weaknesses and what character you are facing more than just your technical knowledge. Why is that bad?

I consider every iteration of Smash a different game, not as a sequel., because it plays as such. N64 was slow and, frankly, clunky, but that was just because of the times. I've played it, and it is fun for casual, but I really don't like it any more than that. Brawl was very slow and precise. Could they have done without the tripping... of course they could have. Smash 4 is like a mix between Brawl and the basic Melee concepts - faster ground play and middle to slow aerial play. All of these have their pros and cons. Some peeople like the slow, precise gameplay while others like the fast paced technical play. I don't understand why one needs to be hated. Just accept that they're all good games, and you like one better.

For those who are hoping for a Melee-like sequel, we aren't going to get it. Period. Masahiro Sakuri has already said that was not his original intent for the game. He wants this to be a party game, and melee was too hard for the general public to just pick up. I can almost guarentee that we aren't going to get a Melee-like game from him. Maybe start looking to indie devs and Project M. (Yes I play and love Melee mainly, but come on guys. Use your heads)

Frankly, there's no reason to hate another iteration of Smash. Besides, what is it going to accomplish? It's going to split a gigantic community in two - the ones who like Melee and the ones who don't. Why segregate each other like that? It doesn't make sense.
1. Melee isn't all technical play. what you said about smash 4 also applies to melee,

2. Smash 4 is not a mix of concepts. Project M actually achieves that goal though.

NotMike

Smash Rookie
1. Melee isn't all technical play. what you said about smash 4 also applies to melee,

2. Smash 4 is not a mix of concepts. Project M actually achieves that goal though.
1. I know it isn't all technical play. It's more complex than that I didn't mean to imply that. I disagree with your notion that what I said about smash 4 applies to melee though.

2. Smash 4 is a mix of melee's fast ground and Brawl's slower aerials. It's a middle ground between the two, if you don't consider all the tech in Melee.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
1. I know it isn't all technical play. It's more complex than that I didn't mean to imply that. I disagree with your notion that what I said about smash 4 applies to melee though.

2. Smash 4 is a mix of melee's fast ground and Brawl's slower aerials. It's a middle ground between the two, if you don't consider all the tech in Melee.
Well the problem is that combination leads to a slower gameplay. Melee might have a fast ground speed but it's more the aerials, at least with the good majority of the cast that makes the game more competitive. I would like more aerials/ground moves to be safer on shield but they aren't

NotMike

Smash Rookie
Well the problem is that combination leads to a slower gameplay. Melee might have a fast ground speed but it's more the aerials, at least with the good majority of the cast that makes the game more competitive. I would like more aerials/ground moves to be safer on shield but they aren't
Okay. I see what you mean. My points still stand though - there's no reason to hate on a game just because it isn't like your favorite one, so the hatred towards Smash 4 is completely unwarranted. It's just people who were disappointed that Smash 4 wasn't another Melee or something akin to Melee, even if I see that expectation as completely illogical.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
By all means, you should be expected to respect the game you enjoy most more. However, this doesnt make your objective comparisons correct.
But, any dislike for smash4 I think is on the level of dislike rather than straight up sinister hate. Hating something takes effort that not something many people have enough care to give lol
Youre wrong. Many want to see smash 4 fail. Others, some unintentionally, have actively pushed towards this. Im an active member in both scenes, I know this better then most (though my scene is pretty cool in this regard).
The fact is that Melee is a combination of both. If there wasn't so much depth,people's techniques wouldn't have changed so much. If you happened to have played the game for a while/even for a short bit, you can clearly tell the difference between a 2006-2007 game and a 2009 2010 game (or a 2010 game and etc.) The fact that techniques are still being discovered shows the level of depth.
Ill be critiquing your proof. The game changing over 15 years is more indicative that its taken 15 years for players to actually play the "real" game, and its possible we havent even gotten to that point at all yet. A deep metagame doesnt rely on its rules and difficult mechanics for constant change (that's complexity), but rather rps style yomi layers. While I make no judgement, some would even consider such complexity bad since it creates inaccessible in and out crowds in a fraternity like manner. I think this is true, but more personally think theres some strengths to this too.
In terms of complexity, my literal only problem with Melee is that certain characters are too complex for my fingers. Oh well, I can main Luigi, who is fun and complex without the hand speed, or I could go Sheik, Peach, or Jiggles. The game happens to be quick enough and balanced enough to allow people who don't move complexly to win events, even if their fingers are slow.

I mean take a look at Borp. He doesn't wavedash and just reads and still wins vs a whole lot of people.
"Simple" characters struggle in this game as do simple borp like styles. I say simple in quotes because by design the games mechanics are not simple, l-cancelling on its own makes the game needlessly complex. There's no real diversity in this regard and to be honest much of the melee community would hate it if there were (it also doesnt condemn the game or make it bad of course).
A game without depth or complexity becomes stale. That is the reason why Brawl died. Nothing new was being discovered. Brawl was at it's peak in the beginning 6 months/year and then when Salem won Apex.
First off, if brawl had the deepest gameplay, it wouldn't have died. Here are the problems with the other smash games, and this is coming from someone who has played on a comp level in all of them, espec. 64.
Brawl was at its peak in 6 months and then again 5 years later? Lol? Like if you dont know or understand the game thats fine but why say anything it just makes you seem bias. The story of Brawl's evolving metagame is actually very interesting.

Half the reason Brawl died was because many people who never played or understood the game couldnt stop talking about how much they hated it and had to let everyone everywhere know how much they hated it, they devoted news articles, interviews and part of their official documentary to how much they hated it. They couldnt let people make their own judgements about it. The other half is cause the brawl community was inexperienced and kind of stupid, especially in the beginning. Good games often fail and bad games often succeed and most of the time it has to do with external factors, or else maybe 64 and PM are garbage as well (theyre not).

As far as depth goes, it doesn't directly equate to fun and therefore is not something that's really appreciated especially in the gaming community. To gamers there's greater value in tech skill, fast pace gameplay, and cool combos; whether it adds or removes depth is inconsequential. Thats not wrong, people can enjoy what they want, but other people may prefer a different focus. I feel I dont really need to address your game descriptions unless you want me to, I will say that melee certainly has a lot of depth Brawl is just deeper.
I was around pre-doc. You are a good part wrong here. Brawl split the smash community and then a whole lot of fiascos regarding pot splitting and World EVO having items almost made the death of brawl, which almost made Melee die. People eventually went back and melee survived due to a few major tournament, thank you Alukard for RoM and others for other majors.

I'd like to see a RoB/Revival of Brawl, which some have suggested but as of right now, there isn't one as quite simply, it doesn't seem like the community itself wants to revive itself. Everyone from Brawl moved to Smash 4 as it happens to be similar. I wouldn't want to be part of a smash sub-community who abandoned their game as the newer and brighter one came out.

That is why I like the 64/melee communities, several games have come out and the scene got small for a bit and we didn't care. We grew back, on our own terms, without a whole lot of support. Specifically for 64, we have had 1/2 nationals every year in the US, and barely any other events, and the scene is still growing. We aren't complaining.
Brawl was never in threat of dying after EVO or MLG. Neither was melee, which was generally cohosted with Brawl in SoCal and always had decent attendance. Maybe it was worse in other regions.

Smash 4's string/combo system and neutral game are too different from brawl to be a real successor, though Im sure those who were never that deep into Brawl will believe otherwise. But many of Brawl's former top players find Brawl more enjoyable. Melee's revival had the smash communities support, and 64 at least hasnt had to deal with any hate. If there is a movement to revive Brawl it would unfortunately have to wade through the smash communities legion of haters.

Last edited:

Racuncai

Smash Cadet
Personaly i dont hate the game, i just don't like it, is the best game in the series period, but is not a good figher, i past these weeks learning about the game and is not that deep or complex, for a fighting game, those are the most important things.

We are talking about the properties of a fighting game which have fundamentals, these are:

"Neutral game" melee has the better neutral, because has a lot of movement, ofensive and defensive options, this is deep and fun to do and watch,this need to be balance with "Punish game" this are combos, kill setups or simple punishing our oponen for making mistakes, the one who win the neutral has and advantage which is fair, because the game has a good amount of defensive options even in the punish game, this is another layer of deep of his own.
Smash bros has his own fundamental, edge guards this is self explanatory to the smash community, and of course, is the deepest of the franchise, all of us can agree about this things.

I think these are the basics, there are advance aspect to every fighter, but if the game fails in the basics something must be wrong, a good fighter need good balance between this properties, while rewarding the better player to be competitive.

In my opinion a good figther need a good execution barrier, to separe the better player of the worst player and is necesary for a competitive game, but the best part is the feeling of accomplishment melee gives you for mastering a dificult tech, this is just enough for me to play the game (i'm a scrub but this game is awesome).

Smash 4 has poor fundamentals, the neutral is poor, you don't have movement options, running is worst than walking becuse reduce options, and the one how is defending has and advantage, that's why people just dash and a shield, or simply rolls or dodge a lot.

The punish game is poor too, 1 hit punish is the norm, tha'ts make it a bad fighter?
not necessarily, but lack of consecuences for making mistakes, combos are 2 o 3 hits max, because you can DI out of most things or air dodge out of others, it seems that the only practical way to get a combo is a grab, again lack of options in the punish game too.

Edge guards?
you only need to see a tournament match, those rare and most of the match people just let the other guy recover and repeting the nuetral until someone get a 1 hit punish or a 2 hit combo out of a grab, maybe i'm wrong and most of the player don't do that in pools, but i have never see a top 8 of people trying to do a good fancy edge guard.

The execution barrier, lacking, the tech unique to this game were remove in paches, killing my desire to play and compete in the game, if i don't feel good mastering something dificult is not worth it, just in my case, winning is just part of the fun.

The game is new and this is not set on stone, but remenber melee is an 13 year old game, without patches and still evolving meta, tech is still discover and good players are using new stuff in a 13 years old game, in my opinion that's insane, melee has a lot to give us and maybe will not die in the nexts years.

Smash 4...........
I hope that all this things change in the future, and the game evolves to something unique and owesome, like other guys have said before in this thread, it hurt our eyes see a boring game get all this atention, just because is new.

That's all my "hate" about this game, it was objetive most of the time, but in this case i think your personal opinion has weight.

if i'm wrong, you can prove that i'm wrong, i'm open to get corrected and learn.

Sorry if you have a hard time try to understand what i want to say but i'm not good at english, be patience with me xD

Last edited:

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
Wow i really didnt hope for this type of discussion in this thread. The thread started out nice, with people explaining the reasonings as to why some of the Melee community was hating on Smash 4 at APEX and in general. We got some nice posts here without any sort of Elitism from the Melee community or any Living in the Past from the Smash 4 community. It was a great start.

But then, i just read the last 20 or so posts, and it has become a Melee vs. Smash4: Which one is objectively better? Thread.
Guys, this wasn't the goal of the post. The post's primary reason was to find out why there was hate for smash 4, which was answered in a very professional manner. Then, the other objective i had in this thread was to also find out why is there a need to bash it. Why can't Smash 4 just be left alone and let the Smash 4 players enjoy themselves without having some Melee players bash on it.

The above was still a mystery that i hoped to find the answer to in this thread, which is not what it turned out to be. No one really argues against Melee being the best Smash iteration in terms of competitive play. I, as a Smash 4 player, will admit that. The only thing that bugs me is Why not just stop the bashing on each other? See, i wanted to start promoting some sort of Truce, or Agreement, or just something for the sake of the Smash community.

I would like to point out that i did read a post that said something about how "smash 4 needs to prove the melee scene and earn their respect." Well, not necessarily. See, Smash 4 isn't looking to impress the Melee community with our competitive play, b/c it simply won't happen. We are not trying to earn their respect, either. We are simply trying to end the fight between the Smash community. That is all.

I hope some people can make reasonable responses to this without having to see anymore hatred in these posts.

Racuncai

Smash Cadet
That's the thing, i don't hate or not like the community, i have a opinion about a game, a fighter, and i think it does't have anything that deserve my atenttion and time.

They need respect and love like everybudy, but i don't give a damn about the game, it don't hold my atention, i will not spread hate or mean words to people or their game, but i can have an opinion about the game and i think i'm objective about it, if they think i'm wrong and is a excelent fighter show a me a tournament match, a video or something that prove that my opinion is not correct, then and only then i will change my mind.

Now i'm only thinking "guys the game is not that good, if you like it that's cute, but if i find a flaw acept it and don't be defensive"

Is not like the melee comunity play a perfect game, or something like that, they just play the better game, and if they don't like or "hate" smash 4 they have reasons, but is not an excuse to be a moron, that's the ugly part of the melee community.

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
I came to state a long winded opinion as an absolute lover of both games but seeing the reasoning of a lot of people in this thread ultimately makes me feel I would waste my time typing something that won't get through deaf ears.

So imma resume a few things that I think people should have in mind:

-Wich game is better is subjective, different people want different things and maybe different ways of displaying skill and what you think looks fun or is fun to play competitively isn't a norm that you can force on others.

-Every smash game is very different(Smash 64 is more about great offense, smash 4 it's more about understanding fundamentals and so on) and if we get to the chase smash 64 is the slowest one but everyone seems to have at the very least a bit of respect for it's metagame, we should all respect each other and stop acting like babies.

-Melee has been around for 14 years, why do people compare both in a "scene" kind of way when melee will obviously win by trayectory only? give smash 4 a chance to have at least some time under it's belt, jesus.

-Is still admirable the following smash4 has for such a short lifespan, it was a big event in apex 2015 and it should be respected as a MAIN event cuz that what it was and one has to accept it.

-Personally I just really love both games and I still don't understand why people are so upset about any version of smash existing and trying to have success, I guess people just want to feel superior to others all the time but it is really unnerving how far it goes sometimes.

Edit: HEy Melee lover, dont be mean to the sm4sh player, let him enjoy what he likes! and Sm4sh player! If the Melee person isn't bothering you, stop harrasing them so they "move on" or whatever and just let him enjoy what he likes too!

Last edited:

ObdurateMARio

Smash Apprentice
Just going to point out what the Melee guys have stated, self included.

I don't hate you guys for playing Smash 4. I'm glad you're in our scene, and hopefully some of you guys will play Melee with me/us. If not that's cool too. I don't like Smash 4. But I don't care what happens with it, because it doesn't affect me. If you guys can make it huge, that's awesome, and more power to you. I'm still not going to care about your game, but I still think you guys are (for the most part) cool people and it's nice to hang with you guys at tourneys/events.

However! There is one important caveat, kiddies (+10,000 karma for whoever gets that reference). Melee is the largest portion of the scene. When Melee is shunned in favor of Smash 4, as happened at Apex, people will be irritated. Don't take it personally, it's not against you guys as players, or even Smash 4 as a game. It's not a chant complaining about how Smash 4 is trash or something, it's a chant complaining that we missed out on pretty much the entire Apex loser's bracket. Melee's community is more invested in Melee than Smash 4's is in Smash 4. This isn't a statement on the players, or the game, just a factor of Melee's history. We're used to having to fight to make sure our game gets what it's entitled to, and what we as a community are entitled to.

Also, please understand that there is a level of mistrust in Nintendo at this point in time regarding Smash 4 and N's sponsorship. Is N's sponsorship what killed PM? Where was #oneunit then? What happens when N is done making money on the competitive scene if Smash 4 dies? Will they C&D Melee streams? Most people in the smash community overall see Nintendo entering the fray as a means of promoting Smash 4 sales. They don't get anything from Melee, but they support it because it's the backbone. What happens if/when the backbone is all that's left? What happens when Smash 5 comes out and N has had enough of people clinging to Melee? The fact of the matter is that N is in it for the money, and once our scene becomes counterproductive to that goal, they can end us at the drop of a hat. They've tried it in the past, and we fought tooth and nail to keep what we have. And unfortunately for Smash 4, as it is indisputably tied to N's sponsorship, it gains an element of the distrust/contempt.

Last edited:

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660

I don't hate you guys for playing Smash 4. I'm glad you're in our scene, and hopefully some of you guys will play Melee with me/us. If not that's cool too. I don't like Smash 4. But I don't care what happens with it, because it doesn't affect me. If you guys can make it huge, that's awesome, and more power to you. I'm still not going to care about your game, but I still think you guys are (for the most part) cool people and it's nice to hang with you guys at tourneys/events.

However! There is one important caveat, kiddies (+10,000 karma for whoever gets that reference). Melee is the largest portion of the scene. When Melee is shunned in favor of Smash 4, as happened at Apex, people will be irritated. Don't take it personally, it's not against you guys as players, or even Smash 4 as a game. It's not a chant complaining about how Smash 4 is trash or something, it's a chant complaining that we missed out on pretty much the entire Apex loser's bracket. Melee's community is more invested in Melee than Smash 4's is in Smash 4. This isn't a statement on the players, or the game, just a factor of Melee's history. We're used to having to fight to make sure our game gets what it's entitled to, and what we as a community are entitled to.

Also, please understand that there is a level of mistrust in Nintendo at this point in time regarding Smash 4 and N's sponsorship. Is N's sponsorship what killed PM? Where was #oneunit then? What happens when N is done making money on the competitive scene if Smash 4 dies? Will they NDA Melee streams? Most people in the smash community overall see Nintendo entering the fray as a means of promoting Smash 4 sales. They don't get anything from Melee, but they support it because it's the backbone. What happens if/when the backbone is all that's left? What happens when Smash 5 comes out and N has had enough of people clinging to Melee? The fact of the matter is that N is in it for the money, and once our scene becomes counterproductive to that goal, they can end us at the drop of a hat. They've tried it in the past, and we fought tooth and nail to keep what we have. And unfortunately for Smash 4, as it is indisputably tied to N's sponsorship, it gains an element of the distrust/contempt.
^^
See, this is what we need more of from the Melee community. You admit you don't like Smash 4, and you state your opinion that Melee is a better game. We all respect that. You don't go out and spread hate on random streams/forums about Smash 4 just for spreading hate, which we respect even more. You bring up a good point on Melee being the backbone of the Smash scene/community and you guys definitely deserve to, in my opinion at least, to be the main event in the big tournaments.

I personally don't believe Smash 4 is really a threat to Melee in the competitive scene. However, i can see your worries on Melee being killed off by Smash 4 via Nintendo. But i highly doubt that will be the case, so long as Melee continues to get 1000+ entrants in APEX tournies i think Melee will live strong as ever.

ceecee

Smash Rookie
Join SmashBoards

Go to Melee discussion

See Smash 4 post

Last edited:

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Join SmashBoards

Go to Melee discussion

See Smash 4 post

Sorry for the odd welcome. uhhhh, welcome to Smashboards. In all honesty, just ignore this specific thread and unfollow it.

Nice sig quote btw

Last edited:

Tagxy

Smash Lord
tbh this wasnt bad and I appreciate that people were trying to be reasonable.

Let me give an analogy real quick. Ignore the fact that its about race its just an easy example of discrimination. Being a minority I occasionally have to deal with racists who are white. This doesnt make most or all of the white community racist, and sometimes people are accidently racist but mean well. Now sometimes when with my friends in a non-public setting who I know, we'll crack an funny insensitive joke because I know them well enough that they arent racist people. But sometimes Ill hear the same joke from someone I dont know and itll make me uncomfortable. Why? Because I dont know that person, I dont know if he just didnt realize he didnt know me that way and was trying to be funny or if he's legit discriminating racist perpetuating stereotypes. The reason its not cool in that situation is because it gives legit racists who mean to do harm to minorities cover for their actions.

It's the same way here. I know most of the melee community is cool, but there's situations that make it hard to distinguish between cool people and those with mal-intent and the cool people probably unintentionally are giving more toxic members of the community cover and that makes things hard.

Also, please understand that there is a level of mistrust in Nintendo at this point in time regarding Smash 4 and N's sponsorship. Is N's sponsorship what killed PM? Where was #oneunit then? What happens when N is done making money on the competitive scene if Smash 4 dies? Will they C&D Melee streams? Most people in the smash community overall see Nintendo entering the fray as a means of promoting Smash 4 sales. They don't get anything from Melee, but they support it because it's the backbone. What happens if/when the backbone is all that's left? What happens when Smash 5 comes out and N has had enough of people clinging to Melee? The fact of the matter is that N is in it for the money, and once our scene becomes counterproductive to that goal, they can end us at the drop of a hat. They've tried it in the past, and we fought tooth and nail to keep what we have. And unfortunately for Smash 4, as it is indisputably tied to N's sponsorship, it gains an element of the distrust/contempt.
I dont think anyone from other communities is trying to have any game shunned. I understand sometimes there's limitations and things should be separate, but that wasnt supposed to be the case at apex. 64, Brawl, and Smash 4 were all upset if not moreso at the stream situation. Yeah it was lame you had to watch something you didnt want to and yes I understand why ppl were mad (scars blog made sense), but please also understand while it has an explanation the action itself is not cool and there are other better ways to deal with the issue.

Regarding N, its one of those things that as a community we have to manage. Something melee-only players don't know or remember is that Nintendo is the reason Brawl didnt get streamed at MLG when they were there, and most people weren't even aware it was because of them until after the fact, and that was their fresh and newest title. They also prevented Brawl from being at MLG last year. Whatever suspicions may exist the situation is much better now then it was before, we need to work towards being on Nintendo of America's good side and there is reason to be hopeful according to those theyve interacted with.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom