• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why the hate on smash4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flippy Flippersen

Smash Journeyman
I decided not to be biased until I played it, I decided the same with brawl. I could honestly not find fun things in smash 4. What I like about melee is my ability to be free and find MY way to do something. When I went to play smash 4 and brawl the mechanics said to me to either play a very specific way or eat percent/lose a stock.

I think smash 4 with its current meta is a very static game where every diddy plays like every diddy every sheik plays like every sheik etc. I assume this relates to there being less tech and less freedom which make optimal play less subjective and easier to reach.

I also assume that the game will get a mk esque character that will easily outperform the rest of the cast. And ik melee has fox but to my understanding it's a lot easier to kill a fox for his messups than it is with any sm4sh or brawl character which I feel makes it a lot more relevant for smash 4/brawl players

Since I don't enjoy watching smash 4 and setup time is long enough I will prolly turn off streams with smash 4 to show my personal lack of interest and will encourage people with the same lack of interest to do the same.
Show that you don't want to watch smash 4 by not watching smash 4 as opposed to having I think 5 different streamchats and quite a bit of twitter exclusively spamming how much smash 4 sucks. I think that way smash 4 viewers have a better viewing experience and we don't have to sit through smash 4 win/win

Drama takes skill and humanity to resolve.

I can tell that if we really wanted to, we'd have perfect paragraphs and negotiation skills firing off hurting nobodies feelings and we'd solve this and get closure. Generally its not human tendency to WANT to resolve elephants in the room with drama. Ppl want things to be ok and as soon as possible.

But that skill gap in bringing this subject up and working through our differences with others in a way that works is there. And thats whats causing the problem. I think.
Very good.
If we really want to solve this problem completely solved I think the best thing would be to find a mature well respected figure head to bring the topic up in a well rehearsed address/thread/whatever to us who is well versed in these kinds of skills who could start moving this issue in a more considerate problem solving oriented direction and perhaps teach us through example how to really tackle this.
Like my post?

Or Kadano's? I think both say well what our thoughts are.

◥θ┴θ◤ | JJ

Smash Journeyman
On the Midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
NNID
ThatGamerGuy52
3DS FC
5370-0522-3919
Because the game is slow, the skill ceiling appears to be lower (I said APPEARS TO BE!!!), the combos are more rigid vs the Melee free-form style, and hoo hah. I would venture as far to say Melee is a better game from a competitive aspect, mostly due to the skill cap. But it also makes it less accessible, so it is a double edged sword.
I don't think the game is slow at all. It's certainly not ridiculously fast like Melee, but it has a fine speed regardless (though I think falling speeds could, in general, be a tad bit faster). The skill cap is definitely lower than Melee's, though, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing; Melee's high skill ceiling is great for competitive play, but with it comes a high skill floor, and that's not good for casual play, which is half of what Smash is.

Edit: Ack, forgot the Hoo Hah part. That's nothing. The Hoo Hah is escapable through DI. You know what isn't escapable through DI? Wobbling. Waveshining. Most chaingrabbing. Melee is chock full of infinites that are far worse than the Hoo Hah, yet people don't complain about these? That's pretty lame.

And this is not to say sm4sh is not a good competitive game, namely that Melee is a very good one. In the end, play what makes you happy. If you like Brawl best, ffs play brawl. But Melee players do get really irritated when sm4sh players say things like "wow guys you need to move on" or stupid nonsense like that.
I don't think anyone is arguing that Melee isn't more competitive, because it is. The issue at hand is that a large portion of the Melee community looks down on Smash 4 for not being like Melee, which I find to be ridiculous, given how different Melee was from Smash 64.

I can understand a desire for post-Melee games to be more technical and have higher skill ceilings, but, again, that's just not what Smash is about. Smash is the only fighting series out there that manages to bridge the gap between casual & competitive play, and by doing such, the goal should be to strike a balance between the two (which, like I said before, has only been accomplished in the original Smash & Smash 4). Remember: Smash is a Party-Fighter, so if a game focuses too much one one of the two genres it's combining, then it's technically failed its job.

I love Melee for being the competitive monster that it is, but I also acknowledge that it wasn't supposed to be that way and became such by sheer accident, and as such, I respect the direction Smash 4 has taken and feel that it's the direction the series should be taking.

And, hey, let's not forget... we have Project M to function as a Melee sequel. We're lucky enough to be able to have such a thing, as it allows the community to have a post-Melee product that offers up a competitive-heavy environment to coincide with a product that's more in-line with what Smash should be, and I'm grateful for that.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Jk i'm just quitting smash boards rofl I don't want to use this account anymore bye lolololololololol
Somebody please ban me so I can get away from the people who love smash 4 I can't handle it anymore lmao lmao lmao lmao

Smash 4 is the ****tiest game that has ever been made for smash and it always will be and theres nothing you smash 4 lovers can do to change that lmao lmao lmao lmao

**** that felt good to say
Truth always feels good

BYE LOLOLLLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLLOLLLLLOOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLLLOLO
Post it in forum support and they can do it for you instead of you posting stuff like this.

MekBEASY

Smash Rookie
As much as I'm sure a lot of people have answered your questions here, I'll just say that personally I don't find it enjoyable to watch. There is something about the speed of Melee that 4 doesnt have. Also, in a tournament sense, I don't have it at my event because PM already takes an impressively long time to close 3 stocks, let alone 4 takes 5+ minutes to do 2 stocks.

Massive

Smash Champion
Here's a different perspective:
I think some of the animosity stems from the perceived easiness with which smash 4 has gotten major coverage.

Melee had to scrap and fight for every bit of recognition and legitimacy it could get after Brawl's EVO appearances banished the scene to the shadow realm of the FGC. Years of grassroots tourneys and struggle eventually lead to some pretty sizable numbers and eventually an honest revival.

Melee is stronger than ever now, but seeing another iteration of the game come in and receive not only full support from Nintendo but also bump melee out of the prime time slot at the biggest tourney yet... it seems like a slap in the face.

I just feel like it REALLY sucks to see something you've invested a huge amount of your life into marginalized because Nintendo pressed it's influence on a few TOs to turn what should've been a jewel on melee's hard earned crown into a commercial.

Separate streams would've been awesome, but I think Nintendo actually realizes that smash 4 is riding on melee's hype train too much to accept second billing.

nintyplayer

Smash Cadet
There's hate on Smash 4 because some people are immature, the same reason why Brawl/64/Smash 4 players will refer to Melee players at times in derogatory slang ("autists", "aspies", etc). The more levelheaded players in both camps enjoy their game and don't have a problem with, or even take part in playing the other game for fun or competition.

Let's keep in mind that Melee has been around for over a decade. There was a time when Ken was seen as unstoppable, and the apparent skill ceiling may have been seen as him -- but M2K 10 - 0'd Ken just a while back. I am certain that if people start taking Sm4sh as seriously as people took Melee and have been taking it, a serious and amazing competitive scene will emerge for that game. It may not eclipse or even rival Melee's scene, but to dismiss it entirely and say it's garbage when it's only been out for a few months...? That's childish.

Allow Sm4sh and Melee to continue to grow in separate tourneys which take place at different times. Neither game will get in the other one's way. Meleeists, I guarantee you that the skillcap you see now in your own game will continue to rise. It has been for a long time. Compare 2007 to 2004 to 2012 to 2015 and you'll see completely different metagames. Sm4sh should get that chance as well.

ObdurateMARio

Smash Apprentice
I don't think the game is slow at all. It's certainly not ridiculously fast like Melee, but it has a fine speed regardless (though I think falling speeds could, in general, be a tad bit faster). The skill cap is definitely lower than Melee's, though, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing; Melee's high skill ceiling is great for competitive play, but with it comes a high skill floor, and that's not good for casual play, which is half of what Smash is.

Edit: Ack, forgot the Hoo Hah part. That's nothing. The Hoo Hah is escapable through DI. You know what isn't escapable through DI? Wobbling. Waveshining. Most chaingrabbing. Melee is chock full of infinites that are far worse than the Hoo Hah, yet people don't complain about these? That's pretty lame.

I don't think anyone is arguing that Melee isn't more competitive, because it is. The issue at hand is that a large portion of the Melee community looks down on Smash 4 for not being like Melee, which I find to be ridiculous, given how different Melee was from Smash 64.

I can understand a desire for post-Melee games to be more technical and have higher skill ceilings, but, again, that's just not what Smash is about. Smash is the only fighting series out there that manages to bridge the gap between casual & competitive play, and by doing such, the goal should be to strike a balance between the two (which, like I said before, has only been accomplished in the original Smash & Smash 4). Remember: Smash is a Party-Fighter, so if a game focuses too much one one of the two genres it's combining, then it's technically failed its job.

I love Melee for being the competitive monster that it is, but I also acknowledge that it wasn't supposed to be that way and became such by sheer accident, and as such, I respect the direction Smash 4 has taken and feel that it's the direction the series should be taking.

And, hey, let's not forget... we have Project M to function as a Melee sequel. We're lucky enough to be able to have such a thing, as it allows the community to have a post-Melee product that offers up a competitive-heavy environment to coincide with a product that's more in-line with what Smash should be, and I'm grateful for that.
I argue that smash 4 is a pretty slow pace. There's a reason its played at 2 stocks vs 4, which is because the advantage in smash 4 is usually placed on the defending/recovering player. Edgeguards are rare, because the defender almost always has far more tools that eclipse the attacker. Not that this is awful, but it isn't conducive to exciting matches.

Furthermore, I don't think anyone is qualified to say the direction smash should be taking. At least none of us here. But from the competitive standpoint, a game that is inferior to a predecessor (again, this is from the competitive standpoint only) is a failure. So I, and many other players, esp those that have been playing Melee for years, have a disdain for smash 4 because it is a failure in the aspect that matters to us most. And it's for that some reason that many of us don't understand why people would play smash4 competitively, and attempt to dissuade you from doing so.

Personally, I don't care what people say. But I've been called a Melee autist more than once, and that does annoy me. I downright hate playing smash 4, as much as brawl, because it feels like a facsimile of a game that I love. I can play smash 4 casually, with my friends, and win 10 straight, and I don't enjoy it. Not that others can't enjoy it, and if you do, good on you.

The point I'm making here is mainly that most everyone on this site looks at these games from a competitive standpoint. And by that perspective, smash 4 is a failure to many of us. Not because "it isn't melee" or because we're "autists" but because from the perspective of what we play these games most for, it's a failure.

And people say that Melee was too much for a party fighter, but I have to say I totally disagree. Melee was one of, if not the most successful GameCube game to ever release. If Nintendo kept the feel of that game, I think smash would be just as successful as it is today. This is a feeling shared within the melee community, evidenced by Melee's success in its time. This is what makes the community hate brawl/smash 4 (besides that brawl almost killed competitive smash), is that the direction they've taken seems like a senseless and deliberate shooting down of the competitive elements. Smash 4 most of all, because Nintendo is pushing it as a good competitive game, when it's inferior in that regard to melee.

Regards to all. This isn't meant to be a firestarter, just an honest perspective on the issue.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
I'm a competitively minded player. Casual play is no problem and it's very fun then, but I always want to play competitively and optimize my play. When playing in that manner, Smash 4 frustrates me in a way that 64/Melee/Brawl/P:M don't, even if adapted to the different mechanics and different meta.

Lack of shield-stun alongside short commitment when dropping shield, being able to airdodge out of tumble, comparatively nonchalant ledge game and the subsequent disregard for stage position (might completely be nullified with an advanced meta), and combos being so heavily pre-determined without much room for creativity or mid-combo mix-ups (might change a bit) are the biggest things that make me dislike Smash 4.

Similarly, I also find smash 4 hit-or-miss when it comes to entertainment, but I found brawl somewhat spectator friendly.

With that said, I'm not one of those Smash 4 haters on YouTube and I find them annoying as well, but I had very high hopes for this game and became very disappointed -- if it was truly Brawl 2.0, I probably would have liked it more and played it competitively.

ewicexclamationpoint

Smash Rookie
Melee Fox is far stronger than Smash 4 Diddy ( in their respective environments ) from what I hear.
The meta game is still undeveloped also.
Maybe that's true, but Melee fox doing fox things is much more technically difficult than 4 diddy doing diddy things. Watching a fox multishine to jump nair pressure on somebody's shield is undeniably hype. Not so much for diddy down-throw up-air.

◥θ┴θ◤ | JJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ThatGamerGuy52
3DS FC
5370-0522-3919
I argue that smash 4 is a pretty slow pace. There's a reason its played at 2 stocks vs 4, which is because the advantage in smash 4 is usually placed on the defending/recovering player. Edgeguards are rare, because the defender almost always has far more tools that eclipse the attacker. Not that this is awful, but it isn't conducive to exciting matches.
The 2 stock format is because of the new ledge mechanics and the larger blast zones, which I have no doubt were intentionally added in so that the game could be 2 stock. You know how other Fighters out there usually have 2 life bars? Stocks are the equivalent of life bars, and I think Sakurai & crew decided to, in a way, emulate that format, only with a Smash twist to it.

I'd also argue that previous Smash games put the advantage in the edgegame in the edgeguarder's hands because you can abuse i-frames from regrabs, and oftentimes all you have to do is just grab the edge so that the opponent can't. Smash 4 evened it out and therefore requires more effort to efficiently edgeguard, and I think that's why we're not seeing many edgeguards just yet: we're still figuring it out. It's something we're not used to, so we're not fully efficient with it.

You can even apply this to Melee with the kind of edgeguards we see today. Surely you've noticed how much more flamboyant & skill-testing they are as opposed to even just 5 years ago. Games evolve over time, so we're gonna see this new edgegame do such -- or, at least, hopefully we will. I do think that people are often TOO conservative right now, going so far as to just stand there doing nothing, not even SHFFing to catch opponents' get-up options. If we keep doing this, then we're never going to get anywhere.

Furthermore, I don't think anyone is qualified to say the direction smash should be taking. At least none of us here. But from the competitive standpoint, a game that is inferior to a predecessor (again, this is from the competitive standpoint only) is a failure. So I, and many other players, esp those that have been playing Melee for years, have a disdain for smash 4 because it is a failure in the aspect that matters to us most.

Like I said, I understand the desire for more a more technical metagame, and believe me, I wouldn't mind having one, but the way the series started out is unarguably an indication that the series is supposed to strike a balance between casual & competitive play. That's why I think something along the lines of Smash 4 is the ideal route for the series to take, even if I would enjoy a more competitive one.

And it's for that some reason that many of us don't understand why people would play smash4 competitively, and attempt to dissuade you from doing so.
This contradicts what you said just after this, which is "Not that others can't enjoy it, and if you do, good on you." If that's how you feel, then why would you care if people play Smash 4 competitively, and more importantly, why would you try to stop them from doing such? All that's going to accomplish is tension in the community, and I know this for a fact because we've already seen it happen. Countless times.

Personally, I don't care what people say. But I've been called a Melee autist more than once, and that does annoy me. I downright hate playing smash 4, as much as brawl, because it feels like a facsimile of a game that I love. I can play smash 4 casually, with my friends, and win 10 straight, and I don't enjoy it. Not that others can't enjoy it, and if you do, good on you.
Name-calling is absolutely unacceptable under any circumstance, and I feel for you there. As for not enjoying Smash 4, that's fine. Personal taste is everything, and if a fighting game that's not super technical isn't up your alley, then there's nothing wrong with choosing not to play it. I don't hold anything against anyone that doesn't enjoy Smash 4; I just hate when people try to kill it off competitively as if it's somehow causing active harm to them and taking away from Melee. Like... it's a ****ing video game. Chill out, fam. (Not directing this at you, per se, just speaking in general).

The point I'm making here is mainly that most everyone on this site looks at these games from a competitive standpoint. And by that perspective, smash 4 is a failure to many of us. Not because "it isn't melee" or because we're "autists" but because from the perspective of what we play these games most for, it's a failure.
I think Melee is the underlying reason, whether people want to admit it or not. If Melee were to have mechanically been like Smash 4, there would still be a competitive scene, I guarantee you; we would still have this site, we would still have tournaments, and we would still have hype. In all reality, the only thing we wouldn't have are the civil wars that have broke out.

And people say that Melee was too much for a party fighter, but I have to say I totally disagree. Melee was one of, if not the most successful GameCube game to ever release. If Nintendo kept the feel of that game, I think smash would be just as successful as it is today. This is a feeling shared within the melee community, evidenced by Melee's success in its time. This is what makes the community hate brawl/smash 4 (besides that brawl almost killed competitive smash), is that the direction they've taken seems like a senseless and deliberate shooting down of the competitive elements. Smash 4 most of all, because Nintendo is pushing it as a good competitive game, when it's inferior in that regard to melee.
Melee was only played as a party game in its day because of the appeal of being able to play as your favorite Nintendo characters in 4 player free-for-alls. Without that, I doubt it would have had the financial success that it did (the same goes for the rest of the series, too). That doesn't change the fact that it inherently has a higher skill floor, though, which is a negative thing from a party standpoint. Just because something can be played casually doesn't mean that it's casual-friendly. For example, the Bayonetta games can be played casually due to the Easy-Automatic mode they have, but does that mean that casual gamers are going to flock to them and love them? Of course not, because they're not casual games and they were never meant to be.

Melee is a technical beast, which is great for competitive (and, again, I love it for that), but bad for casual, and that's why I say it failed from a party game perspective. Even back when I was a kid, I noticed that it felt harder to play than the original game (because it is), and the only reason I kept playing it was because the frame rate was higher, the visuals were better, the roster was larger, there were extra specials & throws, more stages were available, and the chaos was higher with lots more items.

Back then, if you had given me the choice between Melee & Brawl, I would have chosen Brawl, and not just because it had many of the same aforementioned features, but because it was a more casual-oriented game -- if they, for whatever reason, had the same roster, stages, and items, I still would have preferred Brawl. That's changed now, of course (and even back when Brawl came out, I was older and realized that it was too casual for Smash, being on the opposite end of the spectrum from Melee), but I think that's a pretty good case for why I say Melee ultimately went too far in the competitive direction.

Regards to all. This isn't meant to be a firestarter, just an honest perspective on the issue.
The same here, of course.

Even back when I was a kid, I noticed that it felt harder to play than the original game (because it is), and the only reason I kept playing it was because the frame rate was higher
I think you felt something else instead of a low frame rate. Smash 64 runs at 60 frames/second http://supersmashbros.wikia.com/wiki/Frame

Also, not even Melee is a difficult fighting game to learn. In fact, all Smash games are the easiest in the genre, regarding its competitive games, at casual level. Fighting games aren't at all popular among casual gamers and yet Smash is a hugely popular game, perhaps especially among casuals

Last edited:

ObdurateMARio

Smash Apprentice
Allow me to clarify the 'contradiction'.

It's not that any of the Melee guys want to berate you for playing smash 4. But we don't really get it. From our standpoint, it's a worse game, so why would you play it? I would argue that if you're just jumping into smash competitively, smash 4 is a silly place to start, because you could be getting into Melee, which is bigger, and will overwhelmingly likely always be much bigger.

However, if you love smash 4, do what you love. I don't get it, a lot of Melee players don't get it, but have at it.

To your point that if Melee were like smash 4 that it would be just a sucessful, I strongly disagree. Melee's longevity it due to its technical depth. I would be shocked if people in 14 years were still playing smash 4 the way people are currently playing Melee. It might still be around, but Melee has grown and grown.

Another reason a lot of the Melee crowd has disdain for Smash 4 is that because of Smash 4, and by extension Nintendo's presence, P:M has been kind of marginalized from major scenes. There's a good bit of overlap in the Melee and P:M scenes, so that is probably another factor.

chipz

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai is telling you to play other fighting games that are better suited to tournament play.
If that's not a red flag I don't know what is.
Melee has the accidental spark, smash 4 seems kind of forced into the scene despite the design policies behind it.

◥θ┴θ◤ | JJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ThatGamerGuy52
3DS FC
5370-0522-3919
Allow me to clarify the 'contradiction'.

It's not that any of the Melee guys want to berate you for playing smash 4. But we don't really get it. From our standpoint, it's a worse game, so why would you play it? I would argue that if you're just jumping into smash competitively, smash 4 is a silly place to start, because you could be getting into Melee, which is bigger, and will overwhelmingly likely always be much bigger.
The thing about that is that it's only temporary. Melee's not going to live forever, and while I see it continuing to go strong for years from now (who knows, maybe even all the way through Smash 5's lifetime, though I doubt it). Melee's depth will eventually be capped, and its metagame will become overcentralized, thus leading to its popularity waning until its competitive scene is nothing more than a niche.

Before anyone knee-jerk reacts to this statement, I'm not saying this out of any kind of spite towards Melee; this happens to any competitive game, no exceptions. It already happened to Brawl (because its level of depth is substantially lower), and it's happened to countless other juggernaut titles out there, even the legendary Street Fighter II. Sure, that game still has tournaments today, but you don't see it at EVO anymore, whereas you did not that many years ago.

Obviously I have no idea when this point will be reached, and again, I expect Melee to still be going strong years from now, but that point will be reached no matter what. Smash 4 will reach that point, as well, and so will every other Smash title succeeding it.

To your point that if Melee were like smash 4 that it would be just a sucessful, I strongly disagree. Melee's longevity it due to its technical depth. I would be shocked if people in 14 years were still playing smash 4 the way people are currently playing Melee. It might still be around, but Melee has grown and grown.
I never said that Melee would have been just as successful if it were like Smash 4. I said we would still have a competitive scene. Please don't put words in my mouth.

◥θ┴θ◤ | JJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ThatGamerGuy52
3DS FC
5370-0522-3919
Sakurai is telling you to play other fighting games that are better suited to tournament play.
If that's not a red flag I don't know what is.
You mean in that interview that was fan-translated and had an inaccurate quote that led people to flip out because they thought Sakurai said competitive Smash has no future?

That whole thing is tainted because of that one mistranslation. We have no idea how accurate the rest of it was.

chipz

Smash Apprentice
You mean in that interview that was fan-translated and had an inaccurate quote that led people to flip out because they thought Sakurai said competitive Smash has no future?

That whole thing is tainted because of that one mistranslation. We have no idea how accurate the rest of it was.
other than the fact that hes been quoted on this before with the same content?
melee is where it is because of an accident. People are trying their best to find exploits in smash 4 in an attempt to recreate that magic.

◥θ┴θ◤ | JJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ThatGamerGuy52
3DS FC
5370-0522-3919
other than the fact that hes been quoted on this before with the same content?
melee is where it is because of an accident. People are trying their best to find exploits in smash 4 in an attempt to recreate that magic.
That's exactly the problem. People keep wanting this to be as much like Melee as possible when it's not Melee. You might as well be trying to make Ultra Street Fighter IV play like Super Street Fighter II Turbo.

The thing about other series is that they get good sequels. The Smash series doesn't, after Melee. When Brawl came out, half of the Melee community stuck with Melee and didn't want to transition. Competitive Smash's history repeated itself partially because Smash 4 didn't end up being good enough, but there's also a bit of a culture of loyalty to the game

chipz

Smash Apprentice
That's exactly the problem. People keep wanting this to be as much like Melee as possible when it's not Melee. You might as well be trying to make Ultra Street Fighter IV play like Super Street Fighter II Turbo.
nobody said it has to be like melee
but they do want more depth, more movement options, more combos etc

ObdurateMARio

Smash Apprentice
@ JJ I was trying to say that if Melee were like smash 4, there would be no competitive Melee community today. If there were, it would be a shell of what we have. And I mean a SHELL, as in nothing in comparison.

◥θ┴θ◤ | JJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ThatGamerGuy52
3DS FC
5370-0522-3919
I think you felt something else instead of a low frame rate. Smash 64 runs at 60 frames/second http://supersmashbros.wikia.com/wiki/Frame

I didn't even realize games on the N64 could run at 60fps. I haven't played the game since I was a kid, though, so it's not surprising, I guess.

Also, not even Melee is a difficult fighting game to learn. In fact, all Smash games are the easiest in the genre, regarding its competitive games, at casual level. Fighting games aren't at all popular among casual gamers and yet Smash is a hugely popular game, perhaps especially among casuals
I never said that Melee is difficult to learn, I just said that it's more difficult to play than other games in the series. I also said why not only Melee, but Smash in general is popular with the casuals, and that's because of its premise. The appeal of being able to duke it out against 3 (and now 7) other people as your favorite Nintendo characters is endearing as all get-out -- it was a recipe for success from the start. Without that premise, we very likely would never have even gotten a sequel to the first game, given that it was a budget title originally only released in Japan.

The thing about other series is that they get good sequels. The Smash series doesn't, after Melee. When Brawl came out, half of the Melee community stuck with Melee and didn't want to transition. Competitive Smash's history repeated itself partially because Smash 4 didn't end up being good enough, but there's also a bit of a culture of loyalty to the game
On the contrary, a lot of Street Fighter fans loathed Street Fighter IV when it came out, stating complaints that are all but echoes of what the Melee community has to say about its successors. Of course, Brawl can very reasonably be complained about competitively (and should be), but that's beside the point.

This isn't a Smash-only problem.

@ JJ I was trying to say that if Melee were like smash 4, there would be no competitive Melee community today. If there were, it would be a shell of what we have. And I mean a SHELL, as in nothing in comparison.
And I never argued otherwise. My entire point was that Melee IS the reason people criticize Smash 4 competitively, as I was responding to you saying that wasn't the reason. If Melee hadn't been the accident that it was, then we wouldn't have discovered all the technical oversights that have greatly helped Melee last this long -- things like wavedashing (leading to waveshining), ledge-cancelling, crouch-cancelling, moonwalking... in general, all the different exploits that Melee has because it was on a 13 month development cycle -- and thus we wouldn't have people complaining about how they were "removed" in subsequent entries. Obviously there are other factors involved, the main two being speed & combo potential (especially in relation to Brawl, and reasonably so), but these wouldn't have sustained Melee as long as its exploitable engine has, and if you think otherwise, you're kidding yourself.

My underlying point with all this, though, is that Smash would still have a competitive scene if Melee had mechanically been like Smash 4, which was a follow-up to my statement that Melee is the reason why there are people who complain about Smash 4 not being competitive enough -- specifically Melee's accidental competitive prowess. I'm not sure how this has been taken so far out of context, as I was very clear with what I said. You said that Melee's not the reason there are complaints, and I stated why that's not true.

Edit: For further context, this was all in relation to my statements on how Smash is a series that's supposed to strike a balance between casual & competitive play, and why that's the reason I think Smash 4 is conceptually the direction the series should be taking.

Last edited:
On the contrary, a lot of Street Fighter fans loathed Street Fighter IV when it came out, stating complaints that are all but echoes of what the Melee community has to say about its successors. Of course, Brawl can very reasonably be complained about competitively (and should be), but that's beside the point.

You're right that it wasn't a Smash-only problem. CS had a divide between 1.6 and Source, which caused the scene to die out until GO brought the series back to tournament life, or at least the latest game of it

3rd Strike and Super Turbo loyalists hating the latest game are a minority. SF4 has had a thriving scene while 3S and ST tournaments are rarely ever organized. The conversion to the latest game was not a problem. Or is my threshold for "a problem" too high?

◥θ┴θ◤ | JJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ThatGamerGuy52
3DS FC
5370-0522-3919
3rd Strike and Super Turbo loyalists hating the latest game are a minority. SF4 has had a thriving scene while 3S and ST tournaments are rarely ever organized. The conversion to the latest game was not a problem. Or is my threshold for "a problem" too high?
For starters, Smash has a much more vocal & enthusiastic fanbase, so the hate is going to have a larger presence. The people hating on Smash 4 are a minority, as well, but they're a very vehement minority. I have a feeling you'll list the larger amount of Melee entrants at Apex, but my response to that is you can enter in more than one tournament, and given that most people entering a tournament like Apex aren't big-name players that focus on one game, there's no telling how many people entered for both Melee & Smash 4.

In addition, you seem to be forgetting that Street Fighter II was at EVO 2014. You also seem to be implying that Smash 4 isn't going to enjoy success, which you have no way of knowing.

Last edited:
there's no telling how many people entered for both Melee & Smash 4.

In addition, you seem to be forgetting that Street Fighter II was at EVO 2014. You also seem to be implying that Smash 4 isn't going to enjoy success, which you have no way of knowing.
Couldn't whoever has the registration file(s) look at how many players entered in both games?

I was mistaken about Street Fighter. SF2 ran alongside newer SF iterations from 2003 - 2010 at EVO. 3S wasn't featured at EVO 2002, but ST was. SF2 was at EVO 2014 only as a side event ( source = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_Championship_Series ). Regarding SF4 though, I still think the transition to the new game wasn't bad enough to be much of a problem

No one has any way of knowing the future. But I think we can always make predictions about it

I didn't mean to imply that Smash 4 wouldn't see success. I'm very certain it will. Smash has very loyal players. Even Brawl pulled in 100+ entrants at Apex last weekend. A lot of players seem to agree that Smash 4 > Brawl. If Brawl can still get some entrants at a national with a new better game, and after being in tournament popularity decline since EVO 2013, I'm sure Smash 4's players will have plenty of dedication to their game to keep it going for a long time

Last edited:

◥θ┴θ◤ | JJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ThatGamerGuy52
3DS FC
5370-0522-3919
Couldn't whoever has the registration file(s) look at how many players entered in both games?
Well, it's just an expression. Obviously we CAN, but I wasn't being literal about it.

I didn't mean to imply that Smash 4 wouldn't see success. I'm very certain it will. Smash has very loyal players. Even Brawl pulled in 100+ entrants at Apex last weekend. A lot of players seem to agree that Smash 4 > Brawl. If Brawl can still get some entrants at a national with a new better game, and after being in tournament popularity decline since EVO 2013, I'm sure Smash 4's players will have plenty of dedication to their game to keep it going for a long time
Ah, all right, then.

Of course, no malice intended with what I said. I just wasn't sure of what was being said/implied.

Hitzel

Smash Ace

Yeah, but Capcom did a lot of work improving Street Fighter 4 over the years, we're not dealing with anything near Vanilla anymore.

That being said, this isn't a Smash-only problem.

Unrelated, but it's also easy for me to understand the difference between Melee fans wanting Smash sequels to be "just like melee" (no) and wanting Smash sequels to have healthy gameplay (yes).

◥θ┴θ◤ | JJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ThatGamerGuy52
3DS FC
5370-0522-3919
Yeah, but Capcom did a lot of work improving Street Fighter 4 over the years, we're not dealing with anything near Vanilla anymore.
Eh, true, but it was all part of them milking Street Fighter to death like usual.

Unrelated, but it's also easy for me to understand the difference between Melee fans wanting Smash sequels to be "just like melee" (no) and wanting Smash sequels to have healthy gameplay (yes).
I understand the difference, as well. I know you're probably not responding to the things I've said in this thread, but I'm gonna continue, anyways.

I'm not saying that everyone complaining about Smash 4 wants it to be nothing more than Melee 2.0 (even if those people do exist), just that Melee being the accident that it was is the underlying reason why the complaints exist, because a lot of things people complain about not existing (namely "movement options") don't exist by choice of design. Take out all the exploits & technical oversights, and Melee is nowhere near as deep as we know it -- all it has going for it at that point over Smash 4 are the speed & higher combo potential, the latter of which which is considerably nerfed (look back even just 5 years ago at high-level Melee play, combos weren't nearly as hype as they are now). In fact, this creates a near-identical situation with the transition from Street Fighter II & III to Street Fighter IV.

This is not to say that Melee LACKS competitive depth in such a state, of course, because that would be ********. Even Brawl has a certain level competitive depth, as evidenced by the fact that it garnered a competitive scene, and Melee without all its exploits is still remarkably deeper. Even if there was a version of Melee that removed them, it would still be very fun to play competitively, and I have no doubts that it would have continued to have been played long after Brawl's release, even if the latter had been mechanically more like Smash 4 (which I think it should have). Sure, it wouldn't be what is probably the most popular fighting game currently in existence right now, but it still would have seen high levels of success.

Bones0

Smash Legend
There are 2 main types of Smash 4 hate: hating the game and hating the community. Even if the Smash 4 community disappeared tomorrow, Melee players would still hate on Smash 4 as a game because it's simply isn't as good by any reasonable competitive standard. Melee players hate on the Smash 4 community because they realize almost everyone who plays Smash 4 competitively does so solely because the game is newer. The player base has no interest in which Smash game is the best for competition; they simply hop on the bandwagon. The problem is only exacerbated when players who have next to no understanding of why Melee is better try to insist Smash 4 is on par or even an improvement as a competitive title.

◥θ┴θ◤ | JJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ThatGamerGuy52
3DS FC
5370-0522-3919
Melee players hate on the Smash 4 community because they realize almost everyone who plays Smash 4 competitively does so solely because the game is newer. The player base has no interest in which Smash game is the best for competition; they simply hop on the bandwagon.
Talk about exaggeration and stereotyping.

I guess this makes people like M2K and D1 bandwaggoners.

Last edited:

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
See this is what I was hoping for. A nice discussion between melee fans and smash 4 fans talking about why there was hate against smash 4 in a very civilized manner (with the exception of one or two idiotic posts). I honestly had a different opinion on the melee scene and assumed 99% of them vocally expressed hate on smash 4 and were elitists. But this thread alone helps me see that I was totally wrong. Hopefully this can be somewhat of a start to neutrality between both scenes. One where melee fans don't bash on smash 4 and where smash 4 fans don't bash on melee fans. I'm not saying we have to be friends or anything, But at least lower the unnecessary bashing.

ObdurateMARio

Smash Apprentice
Also, with regards to the Apex incident, I think a lot of players simply didn't want to have to sit through smash 4 when they could've been watching Melee. And I don't really blame them for that. I was irritated because I have no interest in smash 4. I wanted to watch melee losers bracket. I think at future events/streams there should be separate stages and separate streams for melee and smash 4, at least when they're being held at the same time.

Grass

Smash Lord
Well for one Smash 4 takes significantly longer and is slower in general, with less hype and tension.
O.o what does this even mean?

The only hate for smash 4 I can see is that the fact the game is different and people love to hate on new things. Cause not only do I PLAY smash 4, I think it's a decent game. Yes I said it, it's a good game. If you people can't see past that, there is no hope for you.

Caryslan

Smash Apprentice
Also, with regards to the Apex incident, I think a lot of players simply didn't want to have to sit through smash 4 when they could've been watching Melee. And I don't really blame them for that. I was irritated because I have no interest in smash 4. I wanted to watch melee losers bracket. I think at future events/streams there should be separate stages and separate streams for melee and smash 4, at least when they're being held at the same time.
I think the best thing to do is to put Melee on first and finish it up before playing Smash 4. Quite frankly, I felt they should have finished Melee up first, then Smash 4's top 8, and then wrap up the night with 64's top 8 since 64 seemed to finish quicker then ay of the games.

That way, people will get Melee watched and won't be anxiously awaiting it at the expense of another game.

Play Melee before the other Smash games, let them finish up and then play Smash 4. Hopefully, Evo tries something like this. Other wise, all we're going to see is a repeat of Apex where people got anxious to see Melee at the expense of Smash 4.

Grass

Smash Lord
Play Melee before the other Smash games, let them finish up and then play Smash 4. Hopefully, Evo tries something like this. Other wise, all we're going to see is a repeat of Apex where people got anxious to see Melee at the expense of Smash 4.
/clap /clap /clap

I'm gonna be honest, There's nothing to be proud of of the Apex incident. It makes the community look like ish it makes the rest of us look like asses. It proves nothing. If we see a repeat of this at Evo, I'm done with this community.

Caryslan

Smash Apprentice
There are 2 main types of Smash 4 hate: hating the game and hating the community. Even if the Smash 4 community disappeared tomorrow, Melee players would still hate on Smash 4 as a game because it's simply isn't as good by any reasonable competitive standard. Melee players hate on the Smash 4 community because they realize almost everyone who plays Smash 4 competitively does so solely because the game is newer. The player base has no interest in which Smash game is the best for competition; they simply hop on the bandwagon. The problem is only exacerbated when players who have next to no understanding of why Melee is better try to insist Smash 4 is on par or even an improvement as a competitive title.

Or you have some people who simply like the gameplay of Smash 4 over Melee. I'm one of those people, I loved Melee on the Gamecube, but I never really got into the insane pace of the game outside of a casual level. I got into Brawl alot more, and I have really gotten into Smash 4's gameplay since it's quicker then Brawl and seems to get rid of many of the issues Brawl had.

I like Smash 4 because of the roster, the overall feel of the game(fast, but not insanely fast) and the gameplay.

Not everyone who plays Smash 4 is a bandwagon hopper. Why do you think people still play Smash 64? Because some people like the gameplay of that game over the later ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom