• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why movies based upon games suck

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
itd b ok. maybe just for fans, whether or not it wud b a box office hit tho..

chucklesXcore

Smash Apprentice
People want movies on games that don't translate to movies. Metal Gear Solid could translate to a movie since it's basically all cut scenes and plot and characterization, while Zelda has none of that. A Zelda movie would, by far, be the worst thing made. Zelda has no interesting characters (excluding Midna), no interesting plot, and no reason to be a movie. Ocarina of Time is my favorite game of all time, and I love the Zelda series, it's the main reason I got a Wii. But as a movie, it'd be terrible.
not always, when I first heard there was going to be a final fantasy movie, I was pretty stoked. A lot of the stories in the games have depth and interesting characters and if done right could be at least decent. And then we got...final fantasy the spirits within....such a bad movie. oh man. I seriously watched it and regretted it so much. I was sad that.. THAT was what represented my favorite games on the big screen. It wasn't that it had nothing to do with final fantasy...whatsoever....it was that it was just a boring movie, with a bad plot. All the gaming movies seem pretty bad. Resident Evil is REALLY pushing it for me. Resident Evil seemed bearable, but it definitely wasn't a great movie. Doom sucked. I don't care what people say, that movie blew. As far as I'm concerned the only good movie based off video games is Advent Children...and that doesn't really count since it was made by square-enix anyway.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Hey wait, are we talking all live action movies? Because the Final Fantasy movies are animated like the games.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
For movies that could be great, I really can't say. But, I do want to spotlight Redwall, the series by Brian Jacques; great books, go read 'em if you haven't already. I think those books could be turned into both great games, and great movies, both way more successful than Harry Potter.

But first, Jacques has to sell those rights to the developers.
There's already a little-known animated Redwall film. I believe there's also one for Mattimeo, and Martin the Warrior. I could be mistaken, though.

They really should do more with that series though, it (was) awesome.

It was a joke because of how long the MGS4 cut scenes were, some exceeding an hour so basically they could have put all the cutscenes together to make a full length movie. Do your homework first!
Jeez, they were that long? That's ridiculous.

In any case, I'd like to see a Metroid movie but after more thought maybe not...I mean, the first time Samus is in a sex scene (which, with movies these days is bound to happen) I'll never think of her the same way again...

Red Wolf

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4527-8509-1299
Hmm well instead of taking a direct approach of the games original story...they tend to make a new one based on how they feel it should be told over time during the production....plus It would be somewhat hard to actually tell the whole game in one movie since there will be a lot of things left out or changed that leaves the fans mad and confused....Silent Hill in my oppinion did a decent job yet fans are annoyed of how the its different from the game(especially the ending and the odd inclusion of pyramid head).....I dunno

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
There's already a little-known animated Redwall film. I believe there's also one for Mattimeo, and Martin the Warrior. I could be mistaken, though.

They really should do more with that series though, it (was) awesome.
I forgot about those, but I agree, they could do more with the series. The books are still comin' out, if you're interested in them. Another one's comin' out this fall.

remyx

Smash Cadet
Anybody heard about that new Street Fighter which centers around Chun-Li and her quest for revenge against Bison?
Yep.Hopefully its in animation or maybe even cgi.The past SF movies that were acted out irl dont do the series any justice :ohwell:

smash inc

Smash Cadet
I think because there only big when that movie is out then like wait a couple monthes and everyone is like lets play some Iron man? NO. it just gets out of style its like there to have you watch the movie get the game beat it and its over.

Red Wolf

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4527-8509-1299
Yep.Hopefully its in animation or maybe even cgi.The past SF movies that were acted out irl dont do the series any justice :ohwell:
Nah....the movie is live action :(...but hopefully it turns out good...I am hoping it leads to end to street fighter 2 and into thrid strike

arm

Smash Apprentice
The first Pokemon movies, and the next 2 or 3 sequels were great, for little kids, which is the target audience. Pokemon and a few other games like Resident Evil are the only ones to make successful movies.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Advent children was awesome. But if they are going to make a LoZ movie leave it to the Japanese. And make it CGI. Its a better idea to leave Japanese things to the Japanese *cough*GSaviour*cough*

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
The only mediocre one was the first Mortal Kombat movie, at a 6/10. The sequel is in my worst ten films.

Mope, live action. One of the members from the Blacked Eyed Peas is Vega. If that doesn't make you think it sucks already, the person playing Bison's first movie was Angels in the Outfield.

Top Bottom