• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Melee is the perfect "kind" of fighting game

tubes

Smash Ace
No memorized button combos. Everything's reacting to and predicting your opponent to pull of crazy combo's no one would expect to happen.
This. I freaking love the way combos work in Melee. Everything's so free-form while still requiring a considerable amount of tech-skill. And you can basically keep comboing forever as long as you can keep reading your opponent, you don't run out of space, and your opponents damage doesn't get too high. which brings me to another thing I like about melee. There's rarely a moment where you can't do anything to improve your situation, even when stuck in a combo. I also like how so much of melee's combo game takes place in the air. Those jab combos in SF4 ain't got **** on death-juggles and AERIAL RAVES! I'd like to see more games based on ring-outs like melee and with a combo system similar to melee. Or play them if they exist. Would be cool as **** to someday see the platform-style fighter as another fighting sub-genre like 3d and 2d fighters are.

and @Dogy: yea looking back I guess I really don't know enough about Gears to be saying **** like that. If I've said anything equally stupid in the above paragraph feel free to correct me again.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
SF in general takes a lot more considerable amount of execution, spacing, mindgames etc. than Melee. It's more than just "jab combos" tubes. >_>

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Why ARE there differences anyways between different region versions of games?
coding? intentionally? it just happens?

by the way.. you need some serious finger speed to be good in melee. (let alone play fox decently)

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
SF in general takes a lot more considerable amount of execution, spacing, mindgames etc. than Melee. It's more than just "jab combos" tubes. >_>
...no.

And especially not SF4. That game is basically Brawl for the SF community.

Miggz

Pancake Sandwiches
You can't really compare the two. They are totally two different games. All you can do is conclude that they are both indeed fighting games, and that both do in fact require mindgames. Their mindgames/spacing are different obviously, but you can't accurately measure which game requires more. Not to sound bias, but I would consider melee more complicated simply because their is an off stage element to it.

rehab

Smash Journeyman
I thought that 3S wasn't so much a bad game as it is packed with campy Chun Li's.

And if you want powerful juggles in SF4, you can play Balrog.

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
Not really...

Because SF4 is actually good.

3S is the Brawl of the SF community.
Uh... I hope you're kidding. You've got it the other way around silly. Seeing as 3S is in my eyes the only SF that requires much tech skill... parrying is 2good. 2T is spam, 4 is just... terrible.

o_O This is the Melee discussion though so I'll just say we all have our opinions. ^_^ Back to Melee.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Uh... I hope you're kidding. You've got it the other way around silly. Seeing as 3S is in my eyes the only SF that requires much tech skill... parrying is 2good. 2T is spam, 4 is just... terrible.

o_O This is the Melee discussion though so I'll just say we all have our opinions. ^_^ Back to Melee.
Yeah I was wondering the same exact thing, I really don't know what this kid is thinking. Kinda dumb...

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
yeah i have also noticed melee is one of the only games of its genre that uses assistant items and stages that are not just flat
Can you name a game that's in the same genre as Melee? Or better yet, a game that even plays like Melee?

masterspeaks

Smash Apprentice
Melee is an insanely fun teams game. I cannot think of another game I would rather play with 3 other people. It is easy to pick up and has nearly unlimited depth to delve into.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b

SFA3 has its vism combos that are technical and some things in ST take a good amount of tech skill like low frame leniency links, certain command inputs, and charge partitioning with Balrog for some of his his blockstrings, etc. The only thing I know of SF4 that is technical about it is some of the hard links that are frame specific, but I honestly don't know much about it so no comment. :)

yeah i have also noticed melee is one of the only games of its genre that uses assistant items and stages that are not just flat
Samurai Showdown had those orbs. Those were pretty cool. >_>

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Melee can also claim to be superior due to it's diverse KO options. You have vertical KOs, downwards KOs, and star KOs. In most fighting games you achieve victory simply by depleting your foe's health meter.

Clone Z

Smash Journeyman

Not to be a ***, but parrying is the exact reason I hate the game.

No beef though I just hate 3S with a passion.

rehab

Smash Journeyman
If it's a topic relating Melee to other fighters, why not talk about them? Melee discussion has enough "<3<3<3<3<3 the game this board is based on" threads.

Super Turbo is zoning, not spam. It's a fine game, and if you want to measure it by tech skill, which is a little silly, it has its share of single-digit frame reversals and link combos (reversals being actually important), and becoming consistent with charge characters isn't a week one accomplishment. Offense vs Defense is relatively balanced, and nobody is completely safe from a comeback. A massive pressure/damage character like Balrog can get in on a defensive rapist like Dhalsim, get him down to a sliver of health, get thrown out of Dhalsim's "stop ****** me please" range, get fireball pressured and kept out down to his last bit of health, and still get through all of it and win the round. Every character in the game is scary, almost all the time. (except cammy)

Despite that ST's focus is obviously far removed from Melee's, I think they share some good points.

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
Not to be a ***, but parrying is the exact reason I hate the game.

No beef though I just hate 3S with a passion.
It's cool. ^_^ Like I said, opinions.

If it's a topic relating Melee to other fighters, why not talk about them? Melee discussion has enough "<3<3<3<3<3 the game this board is based on" threads.

Super Turbo is zoning, not spam. It's a fine game, and if you want to measure it by tech skill, which is a little silly, it has its share of single-digit frame reversals and link combos (reversals being actually important), and becoming consistent with charge characters isn't a week one accomplishment. Offense vs Defense is relatively balanced, and nobody is completely safe from a comeback. A massive pressure/damage character like Balrog can get in on a defensive rapist like Dhalsim, get him down to a sliver of health, get thrown out of Dhalsim's "stop ****** me please" range, get fireball pressured and kept out down to his last bit of health, and still get through all of it and win the round. Every character in the game is scary, almost all the time. (except cammy)

Despite that ST's focus is obviously far removed from Melee's, I think they share some good points.
True true, but we don't want this thread to be Nazi'd by mods either. ^_^
But yeah, good points there. :)

DemonFart

Smash Lord
melee is just awesome because of the variety of characters and stages and also competitive for 4 pepople
lol no.
brawl has more characters and stages.
ur post is invalid.

melee is just competitive due to the way the mechanics are.
the hitstun...wavedashing...L-canceling....its just so much funner.

:094:

MoblinMan

Smash Apprentice
the number of tourney viable characters and stages are about equal or better, though.

I think that's what he was trying to say.

Top Bottom