• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why isn't auto L Canceling an option?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Funny because the existence of the Alternate Stage Loader, alternate costumes, and PM-exclusive special modes say otherwise. Everyone is a casual player starting out and this is precisely the kind of mindset that can kill the game in the long run. PM may be geared for competitive play (the only Smash of its kind to be explicitly designed for such), but you can find sprinkled among almost every character a fun reference or gimmicky/entertaining element. None of these add to the game from a competitive standpoint but they help give PM personality.
They're only a fun reference as much as the fandom nods in My Little Pony are to the adult fans. They can never "build" the game around it and they're incredibly minor. Fitting for a periphery, but nothing more.

platologic

Smash Cadet
Casuals are nothing but a periphery to Project M the same way competitives are nothing but a periphery to official Smash. They should not be treated as anything more.
It truly saddens me to hear you say that. I hope one day you'll come to realize how your elitist opinion is a periphery to the rest of the Smash community.

KeyOfTruth

Smash Apprentice
Consider point #2. Flowing, natural movement. L-canceling is neither flowing nor natural, yet it is absolutely required in order to produce that smooth Melee feel.
This fact is not exclusive to L-Cancelling therefore should not be used as a viable argument supporting the removal of L-Cancel. There are many technical inputs that effect the flow of movement to a much greater extent than L-Cancel, and it doesn't matter if these other techniques possess more mental depth it's not relevant to this argument.

Consider point #7. Knowledge of both characters' options, prediction, and/or deep understanding of the mental game. Notice how nowhere in this entire point mentions that combos require physical technical skill. Yes, the point is implied by #3 and yes, combos will always require technical skill in practice, but it's clear that the PMDT intend for combos to emphasize the mental game. However, no amount of character knowledge will help you combo if you don't L-cancel.
There is one difference between my argument, and this argument. I argue that removing L-Canceling would be directly counterproductive towards point 3 of Project M's goal. However in your argument, keeping L-Cancelling in Project M would in no way interfere, reduce, or hurt the mental game Project M wants to emphasize for combos. Project M wants to incorporate both technical prowess and superior intellect into their game, removing L-Cancelling would reduce technical demands without adding anymore strain toward the mental game in return. I see no way how this benefits any of Project M's main goals.

Evilzpet

Smash Rookie
Absolutely nothing. If you read my previous post then you should know that there doesn't need to be any other reason for L-Cancel to exist, it blends well with Project M's goal in which higher technical mastery returns you with greater control over your character.

Actually its completely relevant, GP&B and yourself have been recycling the same reason in your arguments as to why L-Cancel should be removed. "It's a useless tech barrier", "There's no other options" "Its Arbitrary". I was making a point that all of these poor reasons are irrelevant in terms of Project M's main goals and would be in fact, counter productive to remove L-Cancelling. Please do not bring these points up again, it is Project M's design choice to incorporate tech barriers as they please and tech barriers do serve a purpose.

And before you ask me what that purpose is, here you go:
The reason you keep hearing the same arguments is because you keep making the same bad points. Your reasons for wanting L canceling don't amount to anything logical for the game. Can you give me a solid reason why we should have to press L to half landing lag of A button attacks but not B button attacks? Or why there is no L cancel to halve ending lag on ground moves? Grabs? Why does the game not require you to hit a button 7 frames before grabbing the ledge or you fall to your doom? I could go on and on. All of those things would serve as technical barriers to the game and require more button presses, why not start adding them? We don't add things like this because they are meaningless barriers that serve no purpose other than mitigate the game's competitive (and casual) following. Also the established community would be livid that arbitrary nonsense is being put in the game simply for the reason of raising its "raw technical execution". The only thing that separates L-canceling from these other hypothetical barriers is Melee, and the only reason its in the game is because Melee, something you have failed to address.

Also how are you comparing L canceling to power shielding? The argument is that the landing lags should be half of what they are and L canceling would not be needed. Are you saying that if you're about to get hit your shield should override your inputs and power shield without you telling it to? Or that all regular shields should have a power shielding effect? What is power shields parallel to removing L canceling? I think you should rethink that analogy and realize it makes no sense in this context.

L canceling is a pointless waste of brainpower. Artificial technical barriers are not what PM needs right now, it needs new players. Removing it could bring in new players by making it more appealing to casuals. Every competitive player starts off as a casual. The casual fan base equates to what mainstream sports refer to as the talent pool. The more casual players a competitive game has, the more great players will rise from those ranks.

Quillion

Smash Hero
It truly saddens me to hear you say that. I hope one day you'll come to realize how your elitist opinion is a periphery to the rest of the Smash community.
Well, I forward the notion that the PM community should be separate from the greater Smash community. At least cross contamination won't happen that way.

Evilzpet

Smash Rookie
Casuals are nothing but a periphery to Project M the same way competitives are nothing but a periphery to official Smash. They should not be treated as anything more.
This is exactly the type of thinking that holds Smash back and is completely baseless. Every competitive Smash player, including you, started off as a casual. Ostracizing yourself from others who love the same game simply because they don't go to tournaments is bigoted and elitist. Your opinion does not speak for the community as a whole.

Evilzpet

Smash Rookie
I know the comparison I am about to make might not seem relevant at first glance, but hear me out. Melee and PM are no doubt deep, technical games but there is at least one game that exceeds them in those regards: Starcraft. Every single input or action gives you a visible, relevant result. There are no instances of a technique where there is no downside to executing it 100% of the time under its prerequisite conditions (unlike L canceling in PM and Melee). The controls are absolutely smooth as ice and all actions are inherently easy to do under neutral circumstances. Does this make Starcraft less of technical game than PM or Melee? Does it have a smaller skill gap between the casuals and the elites because of this? The answer is no. In fact Starcraft overshadows PM and Melee in both of those regards by at least several orders of magnitude. Starcraft epitomizes getting results from precision and technical execution and it does so with ZERO arbitrary inputs or artificial difficulty.

This is not to bash PM or Melee, as I personally prefer them as games. The simple point is that extra meaningless button presses don't make a game better from a technical standpoint.

Also I realize these are different genres but the point still stands.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
This is exactly the type of thinking that holds Smash back and is completely baseless. Every competitive Smash player, including you, started off as a casual. Ostracizing yourself from others who love the same game simply because they don't go to tournaments is bigoted and elitist. Your opinion does not speak for the community as a whole.
Who says I care for this community? I think this community is as bad as the Sonic and Pony fandoms combined.

KeyOfTruth

Smash Apprentice
Your reasons for wanting L canceling don't amount to anything logical for the game.
Who ever said I want L-Cancelling in Project M? I don't ever recall stating my opinion on this matter. When people put words into my mouth they tend to lose credibility in my eyes. All I have been doing on this thread is trying to explain the purpose L-Cancel has (Yes it has a purpose) in Project M and how removing it would be counterproductive based on Project M's own goals for the game. I have never admitted any personal opinion on whether or not I myself wish for L-Cancel to stay, but I could see how you could infer that.

Can you give me a solid reason why we should have to press L to half landing lag of A button attacks but not B button attacks? Or why there is no L cancel to halve ending lag on ground moves? Grabs? Why does the game not require you to hit a button 7 frames before grabbing the ledge or you fall to your doom?
Design choice on PMDT's part. I am not obligated to answer those questions personally as I do not know why specifically PMDT chooses to keep L-Cancelling.

The only thing that separates L-canceling from these other hypothetical barriers is Melee, and the only reason its in the game is because Melee, something you have failed to address.
I've failed to address this because it's hugely irrelevant. To accuse Project M of keeping an arbitrary input in this case L-Cancel solely based on the fact that it was in melee is just blind ignorance.

http://projectmgame.com/en/about

"Project M hopes to achieve a game similar to Super Smash Bros. Melee in many respects. It does not, however, intend to be a 1:1 Melee clone."

Also how are you comparing L canceling to power shielding?
I made a previous comparison between L-Cancelling and Powershielding in order to explain how both were always optimal choices to perform. Many were claiming that L-Cancel should be made automatic because it was always optimal. In the same sense L-Cancel is always optimal, it is always optimal to Powershield in the instance you decide to shield. These are both timing oriented actions and both are always optimal to perform in their respectful situations.

Removing it could bring in new players by making it more appealing to casuals. Every competitive player starts off as a casual. The casual fan base equates to what mainstream sports refer to as the talent pool. The more casual players a competitive game has, the more great players will rise from those ranks.
This is by far the greatest benefit from removing L-Cancel anyone has mentioned . I completely agree, it most likely would bring a greater population into the competitive scene. But is this what Project M wants? It's always important to balance your game design to appeal to both casuals and hardcore fans. However Project M has made it quite clear that this mod is much more geared toward the competitive scene. Casuals not seeking to become high level competitive players can simply resort to the original Super Smash Bros. Brawl game. Project M does not want to lower the level of the skill floor, the mod is designed to appeal to competitive players. The re-balanced character roster, further developed character design, and new stage choices are all nice touches for both casual and competitive play.

Last edited:

KeyOfTruth

Smash Apprentice
The simple point is that extra meaningless button presses don't make a game better from a technical standpoint.
Your right this point is laughably simple. No amount of meaningless button presses will ever make a game better. Games must be built on a much more sound basis. Though this thread isn't for discussing the quality of games. Now, do extra tech barriers make the competitive scene for a game better? Arguably, yes.

Last edited:

platologic

Smash Cadet
Now, do extra tech barriers make the competitive scene for a game better? Arguably, yes.
This is the point I take issue with.

You know what makes a competitive scene better? More players. Project M's meta is still largely unexplored. There are 800 or so matchups across a dozen or so tournament-viable stages (more coming in 3.6), and it changes with every balance patch. PMDT has said that Project M 4.0 will be a stable, long-term release in order to allow the meta to develop properly. In the meantime, we need way more people working through the development meta to make sure we're on the right track. PMDT can only do so much by themselves.

Having more players means that it's easier for competitive players to find practice partners who use certain characters. More practice opportunities means more players will improve, and they'll do it faster. More strategies will develop for every single character, and players who want to reach the top level will need to stay on top of the meta and constantly adapt to those strategies. More local tournaments pop up, or Project M has more of a chance to be included in locals. More YouTube channels. More character guides. More Twitch streams. We'll have a better understanding of characters' strengths and weaknesses, and PMDT can use this data for balancing.

Having more people playing the game competitively is the very definition of growing a competitive scene. It's a tradeoff. Marginally lowering the technical barrier on a technically intense game to make it more accessible and encourage more people to play in order to grow the competitive scene and the metagame as a whole.

I'd take a vibrant metagame over L-canceling any day. But then, that's just my opinion.

To clarify, I'm still not arguing the removal of L-canceling. I'm arguing that the benefits of accessibility from removing L-canceling outweigh the benefits of the technical barrier created by L-canceling. A subtle but important distinction.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero

You know what makes a competitive scene better? More players. Project M's meta is still largely unexplored. There are 800 or so matchups across a dozen or so tournament-viable stages (more coming in 3.6), and it changes with every balance patch. PMDT has said that Project M 4.0 will be a stable, long-term release in order to allow the meta to develop properly. In the meantime, we need way more people working through the development meta to make sure we're on the right track. PMDT can only do so much by themselves.

Having more players means that it's easier for competitive players to find practice partners who use certain characters. More practice opportunities means more players will improve, and they'll do it faster. More strategies will develop for every single character, and players who want to reach the top level will need to stay on top of the meta and constantly adapt to those strategies. More local tournaments pop up, or Project M has more of a chance to be included in locals. More YouTube channels. More character guides. More Twitch streams. We'll have a better understanding of characters' strengths and weaknesses, and PMDT can use this data for balancing.

Having more people playing the game competitively is the very definition of growing a competitive scene. It's a tradeoff. Marginally lowering the technical barrier on a technically intense game to make it more accessible and encourage more people to play in order to grow the competitive scene and the metagame as a whole.

I'd take a vibrant metagame over L-canceling any day. But then, that's just my opinion.
Remember Sturgeon's law. A greater amount of players will simply make it harder to find the good players.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Remember Sturgeon's law. A greater amount of players will simply make it harder to find the good players.
Not really.

The good players would stand out because they would be winning in inherently. They wouldn't be harder to find, infact it would actually just make winning for many people in the middle that much harder.

Quillion

Smash Hero
If you don't care about this community (and are going to generalize it and other communities), you really shouldn't be here.
Believe me I ask myself why I'm still here all the time. Either I'm masochistic or sociopathic.

TGT | Ghosty

Jace Boster
NNID
studmuffin
When you think about it, Melee and PM are the only real electronic sports.

Every other game in existence is just a mere video game with limits. Like Street Fighter, for example. Sure Brawl may have had that luck-based mechanic, but Smash U is as terrible as all other fighting game in existence. They just spoon-feed you fun without giving you any challenge of pulling things off.

Actually, nearly all modern games are like that these days. Except Dark Souls. Dark Souls is like the Melee of all video games right now.
I don't know if you've played Street Fighter... but that game is pretty hard. Marvel vs Capcom is even harder than Melee. Blazblue is also pretty rough.

TGT | Ghosty

Jace Boster
NNID
studmuffin
You know... you guys could all just get good and learn to L-Cancel. It's not that hard. You just push the L, R, or Z button a few frames before you land. That's it. It's not like moon-walking, or performing a Shoryuken in Street Fighter.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
You know... you guys could all just get good and learn to L-Cancel. It's not that hard. You just push the L, R, or Z button a few frames before you land. That's it. It's not like moon-walking, or performing a Shoryuken in Street Fighter.
The issue isn't difficulty, it's that isn't not needed.

TGT | Ghosty

Jace Boster
NNID
studmuffin
Well, does it need to be removed? Only reason for that is to make the game 'user-friendly', but L-Cancelling isn't even that hard to begin with.

One of the best parts about playing Project M and Melee is the satisfaction of mastering tech. Even if it's not visual, like dribbling, it's still something that makes the game feel rewarding.

For example; Playing as Ganondorf and tech-chasing with SH dair. Not only do you have to read their tech, but your L-cancels need to be on point. Both of those factors combined make getting that tech chase sooo satisfying to land.

Frankly, I like pushing buttons. It like that by training and practicing, I have mastered skills that someone picking up the game for the first time would not even knew existed.

Fighting Games aren't all 100% about the mental aspect. There is a real physical challenge to perform some of the attacks in these games, and that's part of what makes the games so great to compete in.

Last edited by a moderator:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Well, does it need to be removed? Only reason for that is to make the game 'user-friendly', but L-Cancelling isn't even that hard to begin with.

One of the best parts about playing Project M and Melee is the satisfaction of mastering tech. Even if it's not visual, like dribbling, it's still something that makes the game feel rewarding.

For example; Playing as Ganondorf and tech-chasing with SH dair. Not only do you have to read their tech, but your L-cancels need to be on point. Both of those factors combined make getting that tech chase sooo satisfying to land.
Dribbling is a part of how basketball gets played, it's not just a tech skill. Otherwise people would just run the ball down like in football or soccer.

Difficulty again, is not the issue. It's that the tech is just a button press with no inherit value to the game itself outside of keeping people out.

Foo

Smash Lord
The Basketball analogy works. No one says "It's too hard to dribble, and we should focus on the mental game".
Yes, the core mechanic behind which basically all strategy in basketball is based around is totally comparable to being forced to hit an extra button that isn't needed because reasons. Can you imagine how ******** basketball would be without dribbling? You could just tuck it and walk calmly up to the hoop and boom. Nothing they could do without fouling you. Now, let's imagine competitive smash without L-canceling. Now that would be absolutely ridi- wait, no it would be exactly the same. Yep, nothing different.

If in basketball, players had to wink every time the ball hit the ground while dribbling, that'd be comparable. Something comparable to taking out dribbling in basketball would be taking out aerials altogether.

Wow. Continuing with basketball analogies, that'd be like saying everyone needs to play on regulation sized hoops because children are just periphery to pro basketball. Like, bro, do you think competitive smashers just pick up a gamecube controller and are instantly awesome?

KeyOfTruth

Smash Apprentice
It's a tradeoff. Marginally lowering the technical barrier on a technically intense game to make it more accessible and encourage more people to play in order to grow the competitive scene and the metagame as a whole.
Your completely right and if you read my previous post then you'd know I agree with you. Removing tech barriers would definitely open the door to more players within the competitive scene. But as you've mentioned, it's a tradeoff. It is just not in Project M's interest to make this technical sacrifice to the game as I stated earlier:

It's always important to balance your game design to appeal to both casuals and hardcore fans. However Project M has made it quite clear that this mod is much more geared toward the competitive scene. Casuals not seeking to become high level competitive players can simply resort to the original Super Smash Bros. Brawl game. Project M does not want to lower the level of the skill floor, the mod is designed to appeal to competitive players. The re-balanced character roster, further developed character design, and new stage choices are all nice touches for both casual and competitive play.
Also removing L-Cancel alone would not make any drastic changes to the game in terms of difficulty of execution or tech barriers. There are still plenty other techniques new players would fumble on when being introduced to the competitive scene. In order to make a significant change in the skill floor you would ultimately need to remove a much greater pool of techniques than just L-Cancelling.

Nothing is wrong with having high standards for a competitive scene. Project M wants to cater to hardcore competitive players, but it's made valuable changes for casual matches as well; making L-Cancelling automatic just won't be one of them.

Last edited:

platologic

Smash Cadet
Casuals not seeking to become high level competitive players can simply resort to the original Super Smash Bros. Brawl game... The re-balanced character roster, further developed character design, and new stage choices are all nice touches for both casual and competitive play.
I don't understand what you're getting at here. You say that casuals can stick with Brawl, then say that Project M has features that appeal to casuals. Could you clarify what you meant?

Project M wants to cater to hardcore competitive players, but it's made valuable changes for casual matches as well; making L-Cancelling automatic just won't be one of them.
The PMDT has plainly stated time and again that manual L-canceling will always be the standard. I disagree with their decision, but I understand their intent and I don't have an alternative that is strictly better in all cases.

Given that auto L-canceling will never be the default mode, are there any reasons why it shouldn't be an extra option like Input Assist?

Bleck

Smash Master
so did you type this up thinking that nobody had possibly previously said this asinine bull**** previous to you or what

KeyOfTruth

Smash Apprentice
I don't understand what you're getting at here. You say that casuals can stick with Brawl, then say that Project M has features that appeal to casuals. Could you clarify what you meant?
I'm saying Project M is not a mod designed to cater to casual players, but a mod designed to appeal toward competitive players. That even though many changes and additions improve casual player experience when compared to Brawl, Project M's goals are centered around improving the competitive value of the game.

Given that auto L-canceling will never be the default mode, are there any reasons why it shouldn't be an extra option like Input Assist?
Well perhaps Project M does not want to promote "bad practice" by implementing automatic L-Cancelling options. Maybe PMDT feels that if a option like that were created players would be less inclined to join the competitive scene. This is why an in between option isn't likely to form, but if such an option were to arise it would likely be an unofficial addition.

Last edited:

Ningildo

Smash Journeyman
...but...you just....

...Input assist itself promotes "bad practice" or whatever, so uh...

Also stop using appeal to authority to justify L-cancelling (in this case, the project goals). We've established that degree of control should be reflected by tech skill, but that skill should be useful. All the other techs make the game harder but give you options for mastering them. This lack of usefulness in L-cancelling is my main gripe with it. Making the game harder for the sake of being harder (and not because of a great variety of combo, movement, edgeguarding etc. options aka things add to the meta) is one of the most slippery slopes I have read about, as with that, you can argue for ****ty graphics that makes things harder to see, randomly added inputs to things like jumping, walking, attacking and landing (...) that do nothing but make the game harder.

Give a reason why L-cancelling is well designed with a valid argument (so no "pm design goals" or "it needs to be harder so scrubs can't compete") or you look like you're following a line of logic that would allow stuff like pressing a+b in a 1 frame window when losing a stock to avoid losing 2.

KeyOfTruth

Smash Apprentice
...but...you just....

...Input assist itself promotes "bad practice" or whatever, so uh...

Also stop using appeal to authority to justify L-cancelling (in this case, the project goals).
I never used the Project M goals to justify the existence of L-Cancelling, I only discussed how it benefits the goals of Project M and how it would be outside of Project M's interest to create an option for automatic L-Cancelling.

Here is a great valid reason that justifies L-Cancels existence:

However in fighting games like Project M, technical prowess can very well become the determining factor of who wins a match. Inputs that are made purposely more difficult is what can divide two otherwise equally intelligent players.
Also not targeting you specifically Ningildo, but I would greatly appreciate it if people would stop accusing me of fallacies and the sort. I take time typing my well thought out responses and explanations, I don't need to waste time proving my logic isn't fraudulent. Plus it's just rude.

Last edited:

Ningildo

Smash Journeyman
...maybe cause you are using them?

You just used the same argument why L-cancelling over the last few pages when people have pointed out that other tech do the same thing but give you tools/options as well, it's existence can be used to support other arbitrary inputs etc. and you've either ignored them or used the exact same argument to "refute" it. Speaking of which, it doesn't hold. it's also been established that L-cancelling is easy, rendering the "L-cancelling separate two otherwise equal players because it adds difficulty that other is unable to pass" moot. I should probably add that the (lack of) difficulty isn't the real issue; it's lack of purpose is.

In short, I'm still waiting for that valid argument.

Last edited:

KeyOfTruth

Smash Apprentice
You just used the same argument why L-cancelling over the last few pages when people have pointed out that other tech do the same thing but give you tools/options as well, it's existence can be used to support other arbitrary inputs etc.
I use the same argument to to refute these claims, because these points are continually being reused after I refute them. If you've been paying attention to this thread then you already know my counter argument is a very valid one. It doesn't matter if L-Cancelling does not increase the mental depth of the game as long as it contributes toward the technical side of the competitive scene. When confronted with the argument of "why isn't there any other arbitrary inputs necessary" I properly addressed it stating that it was design choice and that I cannot answer that question. That doesn't prove yet in any way that L-Cancelling should be removed, it simply means you will have to ask someone in PMDT directly if you want an answer to that. I cannot speak for others.

Speaking of which, it doesn't hold. it's also been established that L-cancelling is easy, rendering the "L-cancelling separate two otherwise equal players because it adds difficulty that other is unable to pass" moot.
Yet again completely true. If you read more of my explanation than I hand feed you, you would have realized I already openly admitted to this flaw.

However in fighting games like Project M, technical prowess can very well become the determining factor of who wins a match. Inputs that are made purposely more difficult is what can divide two otherwise equally intelligent players. Currently in the form L-Cancel is in, this argument crumbles because you can spam the Z button and successfully execute it with laughable ease. If Project M Developers fix this the L-Cancel definitely has a rightful place in the game.
Point being if L-Cancelling is to remain in Project M this should be fixed.

I should probably add that the (lack of) difficulty isn't the real issue; it's lack of purpose is.
This sounds like a personal quarrel to me. You can cherry pick games design choices all you like, it doesn't mean they have to conform to you. I have already proven L-Cancel's purpose in Project M to a certain extent, how you interpret the value of that is irrelevant. The point is L-Cancel has purpose and no one has been able to refute that.

Last edited:

Ningildo

Smash Journeyman
I've come to realize that this is more of a difference in what you believe to be necessary in a competitive game then anything else (not you you, but people who discuss L-cancelling).

That said
" It doesn't matter if L-Cancelling does not increase the mental depth of the game as long as it contributes toward the technical side of the competitive scene."

Why is this desirable or good?

KeyOfTruth

Smash Apprentice
I've come to realize that this is more of a difference in what you believe to be necessary in a competitive game then anything else (not you you, but people who discuss L-cancelling).
It's not what I beleive, or what anyone else believes on this thread: It's what PMDT believes. When it comes down to it that's all that matters, I don't think anyone here has been able to truly come up with a valid and significant enough reason for Project M to seriously consider making L-Cancelling automatic. Sure it may have already been present in melee, but it was still a choice to retain it. Why it hasn't been reworked at all yet (Z button spam) I don't know, but I believe it was part of the bigger picture of what made melee so successful in the competitive scene and that's why it's in Project M. Of course I can only make this assumption according to the information they've posted on their about page, I can still not speak for PMDT themselves.

That said
" It doesn't matter if L-Cancelling does not increase the mental depth of the game as long as it contributes toward the technical side of the competitive scene."

Why is this desirable or good?
Well that's the problem. A game cannot make everyone happy, but I know PMDT is trying their hardest to regardless (They're a good team). This is why I brought up the point that Project M is a mod geared toward improving the competitive value of Super Smash Bros. and if that means upsetting a large portion of casual gamers in the process then that is unfortunate. Who knows, maybe one day we will see automatic L-Cancelling as an option.

If your not convinced L-Cancel should remain in Project M then that's okay. Your entitled to your opinion and your not obligated to reach an understanding with anyone. I haven't been sharing my opinion because I haven't been necessarily trying to convince anyone that L-Cancelling is an amazing design choice; I've only brought to light the (rather insignificant) purpose L-Cancelling does serve only to quit hearing people hate on L-Cancelling for the wrong reasons.

Last edited:

Ajred

Smash Rookie
I think there are still potentially important discussions to be made regarding L-Cancelling. However, just about all of the discussions so far seem to get too bogged down in never-ending arguments that only consider the specific question of its mechanical usefulness. In my opinion, each side of this particular debate has valid arguments, but it's at a point where it's largely inconsequential to high-level play. There is potential for missing L-cancels and subsequently changing how the interaction would have progressed, but it happens so rarely in high-level play that the inclusion or removal of the mechanic, and the arguments supporting either, boils down to a design decision that ends up having a relatively negligible effect on high-level gameplay either way. Since there hasn't really been any headway in either direction about this design decision, I think we should now focus on considerations that lie beyond its simple role as a gameplay mechanic.

Now, some of these considerations have been mentioned previously in the thread, but they usually get glossed over amidst the chaos of the aforementioned discussion. I'd like to draw attention to a few key posts among these that I feel provide particular insight into questions that are more important towards the game's growth.

You will never get a defining conclusion about L-cancel should be in or not, because game design is not an exact science. Even if something makes the perfect sense, including or excluding a mechanic will always make the game more fun to some people and less fun to others. A game might run on a computer but we're ultimately talking about subjective matters, fun, and people.

Defining the path of progression that players have to go through to improve and reach higher heights and he or she trains is important, and many techniques and aspects of the game contribute to that. And L-cancel's contribution to that process is undeniable, even if it just means that you're gonna spend some more time playing until you get it down, integrate in your gameplay while you learn other, harder, more important things that need time to learn and are the actual objective. Risking throwing your players into the abstract realm of gameplay where "fundamentals matter the most" too early, and it might be like throwing the final boss in the first stage. L-cancelling is just one of the small mechanics that help it to not fall in that trap.

Could achieving these small positives L-cancel adds to the game be done the same way with a better mechanic, certainly yes. But would I ask Project M to remove L-cancel? I wouldn't ask Street Fighter to remove motions, it's part of the identity of that gameplay, even though they're much bigger and intrusive artificial barriers for new players.

To blindly defend or attack L-cancelling is a clear showing of bias towards one or more games. There's no problem for supporters to admit that L-cancel's existence is arbitrary, as it is, and there's no problem for it to be that way. Videogame are arbitrary.

Automatic L-cancel or its removal would make the competitive aspect of the game more accessible, a negligible amount though. Not enough to justfify modifying (and possibly risk ruining through an unexpected error) a key part of what constitutes player's muscle memory in the game, gameplay identity and player progression process.

We'd see no problem to provide a toggle for auto L-cancel in the future however, more options are great to have, and also great to keep having these thought provoking discussions here with actual concrete data. But the manual one would not leave its place as the default option.

Cheers, and keep discussing. That can only contribute to the development of the community.
The points I want to bring up from this are:

1) The effects on newer players' progress with breaking into competitive play
2) Identity of the game/gameplay

For 1), I agree that there are potential benefits of L-Cancelling during players' progression in learning the game. It can serve as a specific action which players can put time into mastering, and thus derive satisfaction from having done so. It can also be a measure of showing improvement, as players will continue to feel better about their gameplay as they realize they're missing their L-Cancels less often. However, this puts a focus on only one side of the story. As @ Foo Foo mentioned (among others), it can serve as a frustrating barrier for many people, especially if they already realize how arbitrary the mechanic is, and it probably persuades some to give up on learning the game before they truly get into it. Some of you might argue that if they give up on L-Cancelling, then they would eventually give up on the game anyway because of other technical skills that are required to play at a higher level. I would argue that these people would be much less likely to quit due to tech requirements if they already had understanding of and experience with the fast-paced gameplay that we love from this game, which is just not possible to achieve WITHOUT L-Cancelling. However, there is plenty of other tech skill that newer players can work on developing but that isn't such a possible barrier to newcomers gaining more interest in the faster gameplay. Special mention to @ platologic platologic for bringing up an excerpt from David Sirlin about easier controls for Super Street Fighter 2 HDR which I feel exemplifies some logic to support removal of this barrier (I can't link to his post, so here's the direct excerpt):
Making Street Fighter more accessible is good for everyone, in my opinion. Experts aren't really affected, but new players can get past the awkward beginner phase faster and into the intermediate phase where the interesting strategy starts to emerge.

There are some players who wrongly believe that this "dumbs the game down." Actually, the opposite is true. Experts can perform special moves already, so the changes toward easier execution of moves have very little effect on them. Experts will care about actual balance changes such as hitboxes, recovery times, new properties for some moves, and so on. Making special moves easier, however, just allows everyone else to play the "real" game without needing to develop hundreds of hours of muscle memory just to perform the moves. It's actually sad to hear that some players think that their ability to execute a 360 command throw is why they are good, as opposed to the actual strategy of getting close enough to the opponent with Zangief to land the throw.

Another wrong-headed comment I often get is that easier controls don't leave enough skills in the game to separate good and bad players. The statement is absurd. Easier special moves don't change the strategic depth of the game at all (and the actual balance changes in HD Remix increase the strategic depth). Furthermore, there's no shortage of nuance for experts. Does Cammy's dragon punch beat Fei Longs? It depends on exactly who did it first, which means that 1/60th of a second timing is just as important as ever. So is positioning, spacing, the difficulty of performing combos, and the skill of reading the mind of the opponent.

I wanted to bring up point 2) because it's a potential concern for people that are already within the Smash Bros community. Z/L-Cancelling was in both Smash 64 and Melee, and especially since Project M is generally thought of as an attempted successor of Melee, it's both easy and common to think that L-Cancelling is part of this game's identity. However, it's worth noting that regardless of opinions on Brawl and Smash 4, since they don't have L-Cancelling as a mechanic, L-Cancelling is not indicative of the identity of the Smash series as a whole. Furthermore, I would argue that Project M is and SHOULD BE still constructing its own identity, so mechanics shouldn't be retained merely because they are in melee; they should be considered on their own merits, and so I don't think game identity should have much consideration in this regard. That being said, it's entirely likely that if Project M were to remove L-Cancelling, then many melee players would avoid this game solely because of that difference, and so it's still a relevant concern for the discussion. In my opinion though, both Melee and Project M are likely to co-exist for a long time, so we shouldn't compromise good design (whatever it's decided to be) for the sake of trying to avoid putting off melee players who just aren't willing to give new things a true chance.

The next post I want to bring up:

To clarify, I'm still not arguing the removal of L-canceling. I'm arguing that the benefits of accessibility from removing L-canceling outweigh the benefits of the technical barrier created by L-canceling. A subtle but important distinction.
The idea here is that removing L-Cancelling increases the game's accessibility, encouraging more people to play the game, enhancing both the meta game as well as the game's real-world visibility and success. Obviously, just about everyone participating in this thread has vested interest in the game and wants this end result. And so just as obviously, the question here becomes, does removing L-Cancelling increase the game's accessibility in a noticeable or significant manner?

It's pretty tough to answer this particular question without gathering data about it, and I can't think of a good way to do so without actually having newer players able to experience both sides of the coin to really feel the difference. Perhaps the best way to solve this is indeed to provide it as an option, but then people have already brought up potential concerns towards that as well that would need to be addressed.

I would love to hear more of the reasoning that the PMDT has used for its decision to retain L-Cancelling EDIT: or more pertinently, what benefits they must expect the removal of L-Cancelling to provide to warrant the commitment of removing it (@FireBall Stars, if you'd like to say more?). As I said in the beginning though, I think the discussion needs to look at more than just L-Cancelling simply as a gameplay mechanic (which has been discussed in hundreds of posts by now). I think it can have more important ramifications towards the growth of the game and its playerbase.

Last edited:

KeyOfTruth

Smash Apprentice
That being said, it's entirely likely that if Project M were to remove L-Cancelling, then many melee players would avoid this game solely because of that difference, and so it's still a relevant concern for the discussion.
Let's also not forget that many competitive Project M Players migrated from melee, and many tournaments host both iterations of the game. A major factor towards keeping mechanics the same as melee was for this very reason. If L-Cancelling were to be removed from Project M many competitive melee players would still find themselves automatically hitting that L button (Or Z button probably) out of sheer muscle memory. This of course could lead to many problems during the heat of a match.

YourOpinionIs

Smash Cadet
Warning Received
While we're on the subject of auto L-cancelling.

Can someone make a mod that allows me to change the controller scheme for a wavedash button? I could never get the timing right for the jump and dodge and its kind of stupid having to press 2 buttons differently for each characther when you can just set one button thatll wavedash. Or like a dash dance button where I can hold it and it auto dash dances for me and I can let go of the button and then just run normally?

Not being able to auto sweetspot is also ****ing dumb, 99% of the time I want to auto sweet spot and I get axe kicked by samus or I get scared and don't make it to the ledge because I recovered too low. I dont like the mechanics of Sm4sh but they had the right idea when they made auto-sweet spotting with the possibility of not sweets potting by holding down.

I keep getting stomped at tournaments by people because these dumb tech barriers are holding me back.

Ajred

Smash Rookie
Let's also not forget that many competitive Project M Players migrated from melee, and many tournaments host both iterations of the game. A major factor towards keeping mechanics the same as melee was for this very reason. If L-Cancelling were to be removed from Project M many competitive melee players would still find themselves automatically hitting that L button (Or Z button probably) out of sheer muscle memory. This of course could lead to many problems during the heat of a match.
I do agree that differences between melee and PM must be deliberately decided and well-thought because of this reason. However, from my understanding, inputting an L-Cancel wouldn't have an effect unless a new/different mechanic was introduced to actually REPLACE the L-Cancel. Otherwise it would just be an input that can't cause any affect and thus is ignored. However, the converse can be argued in that removing it from PM might cause players that then play melee to miss their L-Cancels because they're no longer as used to doing it.

drakargx

Smash Journeyman
While we're on the subject of auto L-cancelling.

Can someone make a mod that allows me to change the controller scheme for a wavedash button? I could never get the timing right for the jump and dodge and its kind of stupid having to press 2 buttons differently for each characther when you can just set one button thatll wavedash. Or like a dash dance button where I can hold it and it auto dash dances for me and I can let go of the button and then just run normally?

Not being able to auto sweetspot is also ****ing dumb, 99% of the time I want to auto sweet spot and I get axe kicked by samus or I get scared and don't make it to the ledge because I recovered too low. I dont like the mechanics of Sm4sh but they had the right idea when they made auto-sweet spotting with the possibility of not sweets potting by holding down.

I keep getting stomped at tournaments by people because these dumb tech barriers are holding me back.
The strawman is too real

As it's been said in this thread plenty of times before, there's an important distinction between wavedashing and L-canceling. An auto wavedash option would also be interesting for accessibility purposes, but dash dancing is something that can't be easily converted into button form because its multifaceted: something L-canceling isn't

Auto-sweetspotting is a mechanic that could probably be useful for debating game design wise, but it has inherent downsides and upsides that's affected Smash 4, particularly the edge guard game. L-canceling isn't that important to where removing it completely changes a phase in the battle. With no automatic sweet spotting, there is a point of human error which you refer to in your post. Some people for L-canceling say that it adds a point of human error to the game, which makes it feel less robotic. I agree, but when I look at the whole package of L-canceling I start to wonder if it's necessary for human error to come from a one-dimensional mechanic.

If your point was that introducing automatic L canceling is a slippery slope, then that point is completely wrong. There is no evidence that removing L canceling will cause the removal of other mechanics, and thinking that is plainly fallacious

YourOpinionIs

Smash Cadet
The strawman is too real

As it's been said in this thread plenty of times before, there's an important distinction between wavedashing and L-canceling. An auto wavedash option would also be interesting for accessibility purposes, but dash dancing is something that can't be easily converted into button form because its multifaceted: something L-canceling isn't

Auto-sweetspotting is a mechanic that could probably be useful for debating game design wise, but it has inherent downsides and upsides that's affected Smash 4, particularly the edge guard game. L-canceling isn't that important to where removing it completely changes a phase in the battle. With no automatic sweet spotting, there is a point of human error which you refer to in your post. Some people for L-canceling say that it adds a point of human error to the game, which makes it feel less robotic. I agree, but when I look at the whole package of L-canceling I start to wonder if it's necessary for human error to come from a one-dimensional mechanic.

If your point was that introducing automatic L canceling is a slippery slope, then that point is completely wrong. There is no evidence that removing L canceling will cause the removal of other mechanics, and thinking that is plainly fallacious
No strawman or sarcasm here, I am 100% serious. Competitive games should be about reads and intuiton, not stupid from speicifc tech barriers

Dash dancing for can definitely be used button wise. Hold the button and it automatically moves you back and forth, let go and hit the direction pad to cancel it and go in the direction. Wavedash button is a freaking amazing idea for accesibility.

What downsides? You auto sweet spot when you want to, and when you dont you hold down. It is also a one dimensional mechani basically weeding out casuals because they arn't frame specific.

L-cancelling is stupid and so is every other tech. If we get rid of it I dont see why we dont get rid of these other techs that just put a barrier. If I want to wavedash I should be able to wavedash without airdodging because I was 1 frame too late. If I want to dashdance I shouldnt have to accidently slip and go sliding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom