• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

why is random so dumb?

misterpimp5757

Smash Ace
i was playin brawl yesterday and when i play brawl i always put the computer on random.

so the first match was a purple D3 and then i did it again and it was D3 AGAIN!!

so then about an hour later i went to training and guess what computer it was set to???

A PURPLE KING DEDEDE!!!

and second of all EVERYTIME i do random i always fight a big character like bowser ganon etc.

this isnt random...its nothing.

so why is random so darn stupid all the time?? and why is it called random? to name a few characters that i never get on random would be ROB and wolf. and thts it.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
1. This is the tactical discussion.

2.Making a thread for this wasn't necessary...(some people would say but that is arguable in this case.)

3. To answer your question the process most likely involves saukari.

4.WTF combo?

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
I have found that the random is definitely not random.

At home, when playing with my brother, to prevent things from getting too stale, we usually play random. However, it seems that random tends to favor primarily those characters we rarely ever pick (Things like Sonic, Yoshi, Samus, Mario, Jiggs, Peach, Olimar), and will frequently give us the same matchup(s) 2-4 times in a set of 15 games.

Xeno151vs

Smash Rookie
I too have this happen to me. I only choose random and my friend does alot too. Mirror matches and getting the same character over and over again are very common. I distinctly remember awhile ago my friend hated peach but got her so many times in random(almost every other match) that he likes now considers her his third best character.

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
ive never had a mirror match or seen one, but my bro did, he saved it and showed it to me... pink d3 vs pink d3

i only think random is dumb since it doesnt pick zamus

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah, I've also played random against my friend's Sheik, he was playing Black Sheik, I got black Zelda. Since I prefer Sheik to Zelda, I switched, so it was Black Sheik Mirror. I don't think I've seen this with anyone else, but I'd venture a guess that Samus/Zamus and PT can get this as well.

Denzi

Smash Master
Oh yeah, I've also played random against my friend's Sheik, he was playing Black Sheik, I got black Zelda. Since I prefer Sheik to Zelda, I switched, so it was Black Sheik Mirror. I don't think I've seen this with anyone else, but I'd venture a guess that Samus/Zamus and PT can get this as well.
I had one with Falco (red), one with Kirby (yellow), and a little while after that one, another Kirby mirror. It was wierd.

Commander Pancakes

Smash Rookie
ya at times it gives me characters that i dont play as like at all. then sometimes i get my mains every other time. i dont get it

Watchful_Eye

Smash Apprentice
"However, it seems that random tends to favor primarily those characters we rarely ever pick."

IMO, it would be fine, if it would be like this. When I play random, Id like to play characters I usually dont play that often :)

But im pretty sure, that Random is just Random and nothing else.

Kirby Redux

Smash Journeyman
Every time I play, I either get Lucario, Bowser, DeDeDe, Ike, Marth, or Toon Link. I RARELY get someone like Fox or Falco, and NEVER EVER have i gotten: Olimar, Kirby, Peach, Luigi, Mario, Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, Wolf, G&W, or Zelda. I sometimes get Link or some of the others, but I find that it definitely is not random.

Oh, and I also get DK, Diddy, Capt. Falcon, and Ness/Lucas very rarely.

AgentAO

Smash Journeyman
Every time I choose random for the computer and I play Jigglypuff, it ALWAYS chooses Jigglypuff for the first match.

Also, stage random hates me too. Anytime I play as Sonic against one of my bro's better characters, it always gives me Onett. And I suck on Onett.

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
Random isn't always the best choice to pick, because it really isn't random. If I get annoyed, I just start choosing characters I'd like to fight.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
For the next smash,they should make it so that when you get a char in random,the chances of getting that character again go down a significant amount. Enough anyway so that you don't get 4 purple D3s in a row and then 3 Jigglypuffs -_-;

Lemon Drop

Smash Lord
I notice this trend as well. It seems every time you turn on the game it sets the probability of getting a certain character for each player slot. Some times I get Diddy Kong a bunch, other times Samus, then turn it off, I get a whole slew of other characters.

It isn't as random as it should be though.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Random is really not 100% random. Not only does it favor certain characters, but it even favors specific colors of characters. I am curious/suspect that random prefers characters, stages, and items it can load quickly/without decreasing the game's frame rate. It would explain why it is common to get the same characters/items several times in a row.

Ukemi

Smash Apprentice
If it does the same character(s) over and over in a session, it's probably because the Wii doesn't load Brawl very fast (like no one knows that) and it doesn't have time to load new character/color, so it gets lazy and loads the same one. That's just what I've experienced though.

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
i was playin brawl yesterday and when i play brawl i always put the computer on random.

so the first match was a purple D3 and then i did it again and it was D3 AGAIN!!

so then about an hour later i went to training and guess what computer it was set to???

A PURPLE KING DEDEDE!!!

and second of all EVERYTIME i do random i always fight a big character like bowser ganon etc.

so why is random so darn stupid all the time?? and why is it called random? to name a few characters that i never get on random would be ROB and wolf. and thts it.
It isn't necessarily that it isn't "random." When you're picking "randomly" from a set of items (with replacement), there is a possibility that you'll pick the same item multiple times in a row. The chances might be low, but it can happen.

LieutenantSerg

Smash Lord
Just wondering why its important that it has to be completely different every time for it to be random
lemme know via pm or post

goldemblem

Smash Apprentice
because it sucks to fight the same char over and over, this sometimes happens to me too, and i always get so pissed

Xenesis

Smash Journeyman
It seems that as other posters have stated, Random will pick a set of characters for each player slot.

Once a few friends of mine and I decided to just go all random for about an hour and we all kept getting the same characters for ourselves (Eg, I'd always get Dedede and Yoshi, friend would always get Wolf and Ike, etc etc.)

It's a shame, because it kind of ruins the appeal of using random. :(

DonQuixote

Smash Apprentice
I agree. What all of you have said happens to me. What i wonder is when you are making an option such as random, why wouldnt you have it be a 1/(how ever many characters in brawl) chance that you are goin got get a character. It definently is not that way since everyone seems to be getting certain repeats of characters

Greenstreet

Smash Champion

A PURPLE KING DEDEDE!!!

gettin 2 d3's is just as random as a pit then a bowser. learn2probability.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
HEY!

>:[

RAWR
Random has won me lots and lots of stuff like tourneys and mms and stuff k? So just you stop saying it's bad and enjoy it!

>:[

Random is broken, not it's fault. Blame Sakurai for making such an unbalanced game with a tier list that goes

GOD TIER
Random

CRAP TIER
Every character

Random sucks, just look at tripping.
this made me lol

Top Bottom