• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is online in this game so bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimel

Smash Cadet
Played Quickplay again today after quite some time because there were barely any areanas online. Maybe people in Europe don't play on sunday. Lol. First couple of matches were extremely laggy. Lost 10k GSP but kept playing and gained them back but it took quite some time because I only gain 1k GSP or less for a win. Anyways, was reminded again today why I pretty much stopped playing Quickplay and decided to stick to arenas.

Last edited:

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I don't get lag too much. Here or there, but I have noticed that quickplay has regressed back to the way it was before with getting what you asked for. Or at least for me. Doesn't matter who I pick or how high or low their gsp is. I've been getting a lot of everything except for free for all, stock, no items. That's all I'm asking for, that should be easy to accommodate.

So before I was getting stock, all items on high (mostly pokeballs or assists), smash meter, smash ball (an assortment of these) and one on one way too often. Dude I didn't even ask for that. It's even worst when it's 1 on 1 and all the above on. Now I keep getting timed matches at 2:30 without stock with all the above on. Or sometimes no items. But there's no skill in this because all the fighters just keep rushing in without strategy cause they know they'll keep on fighting until the timer runs out anyway. Especially annoying when it's team battle doing this.

I don't know about any of you, but I keep getting timed and no stock at an alarming rate now. So yeah quickplay somehow got worst when Nintendo said they patched it to be better. Also I don't know if this 2:30 thing is Smash4 nostalgia for some of the people picking it or what.

J.I.L

Banned via Administration
I don't get lag too much. Here or there, but I have noticed that quickplay has regressed back to the way it was before with getting what you asked for. Or at least for me. Doesn't matter who I pick or how high or low their gsp is. I've been getting a lot of everything except for free for all, stock, no items. That's all I'm asking for, that should be easy to accommodate.

So before I was getting stock, all items on high (mostly pokeballs or assists), smash meter, smash ball (an assortment of these) and one on one way too often. Dude I didn't even ask for that. It's even worst when it's 1 on 1 and all the above on. Now I keep getting timed matches at 2:30 without stock with all the above on. Or sometimes no items. But there's no skill in this because all the fighters just keep rushing in without strategy cause they know they'll keep on fighting until the timer runs out anyway. Especially annoying when it's team battle doing this.

I don't know about any of you, but I keep getting timed and no stock at an alarming rate now. So yeah quickplay somehow got worst when Nintendo said they patched it to be better. Also I don't know if this 2:30 thing is Smash4 nostalgia for some of the people picking it or what.
I’m done with quickplay, been pretty much done with it for the past few days now.

Also when select FFA, or team battle. It just throws you into a room with people who have FFa or team battle no matter what other rulesets they have because they want you to get a match as quick as possible. And if the game doesn’t give you enough players in allocated time, it’ll just give you a FFA of 3 or 2 people on whoever ruleset it lands on. So if you pick team battle with a certain rule set, and if the gane lands on your ruleset but you don’t have enough players for team battle. The game will start anyway and give you your ruleset except for the team battle since there wasn’t enough players. So you want 3 stock 5 min with no items of FD stage with team battle.... since there’s only 3 players and your ruleset was randomly selected. The game will give you that ruleset but not the team battle since it didn’t bother to wait for more players to come.

Now remember I told you about how it throws people with team battle and FFA rulesets into the same room. Imagine after on your own ruleset you got a 1v1 or 3 ffa... a 4th person comes and now it lands on their rulesets but their rulesets is a FFA so you as a person who wants Team battle now has to play another FFA ( mind you you lose gsp if you lose... and you can’t quit). And since the ruleset selection is random... you may strike out and not get your ruleset for 5 games in a row. You have to bank on the luck of the draw of someone else having a ruleset similar to yours. Because Nintendo won’t match make for you. They only match make with someone who wants a TB or FFA... that’s it. And throw you all in the same room, they will.

And did I forget to mention how bad it is in elite smash if you want a FFA or team battle. Story short, there’s a 5% chance (not kidding) you’ll get 4 player ffa or team battle.

It’s. Literally stupid. This online was programmed by monkeys who were smoking bananas when coming up with the online. Utterly inept people who be fired and never touch a online programming project, game. Or it was centralized by Sakurai who didn’t listen to anyone but himself when making this online system and could have given a dam about his own online system. Or the online system and game was rushed so it could get realsed in stores so they could maximize profits.

It’s really disgraceful. And the things I would do to these people who made this online system, and who gave it the OK... if I said it I would probably get banned from this forum. If I had like the absolute power, I would do more then just “fire” these people. As a matter of fact, throw the commite or people who programmed falco... they’d also expirence my punishment. Falco is so underdeveloped in this game. Some of his move don’t even connect, looking as if the designers and programmer didn’t even finish the job with his character build.
But yeah, they rushed a game and it’s online sector and charge 20 bucks for it with no public statement of apology and vow to be better, just because you over marketed the game and conned people into buying it?
Nah. There needs to be harsh consequences which would entail much MUCH more then people just getting “fired”.

But... sadly I can’t do anything and these people are cashing in bank and laughing while a lot of their customers are displeased with the service. But throw your loyalist some bones by tweaking some of the gameplay to make the game look cooler and more “competitive gameplay” and give fan service by adding fan favorites to the roster and people will continue to adore you and ignore all glaring problems with the game or worse yet just defend it.
Tch...Smash Ultimate.... a truly disappointing game.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
it's ironic that i want to play smash..but thinking about the frustration again makes me not wanna play..

this game really can give me a headache and i never had that before with games and the worst of all this game even makes me throw my controller sometimes with how much it can frustrate me.. the reason i do not play to much or need long breaks..is probably because smash can give me a burn out, i mean it's not normal a game gives you a headache right? x.x

Kokiden

Smash Ace
I think I’m just going to stop playing the game for awhile.

Been trialing the one week trial and I’m just not good at the game.

I’m trying to play properly and I keep getting PK Fire spammed and PK Freezed until I lose.

Im already annoyed that I’m bad at the game. A continuous losing streak with spam losses is just making me not want to play anymore. I think I’ll stop for now and just settle for watching the competitive scene only.

J.I.L

I think I’m just going to stop playing the game for awhile.

Been trialing the one week trial and I’m just not good at the game.

I’m trying to play properly and I keep getting PK Fire spammed and PK Freezed until I lose.

Im already annoyed that I’m bad at the game. A continuous losing streak with spam losses is just making me not want to play anymore. I think I’ll stop for now and just settle for watching the competitive scene only.
Hmph, told you.... should have taken my advice. Not McSquirrtle's. My advice...was.... to either set up BA so you can get practice against good players on this forum, like myself, or post replays so we can review and give specfic feedback. But I dont blame your exhaustment, quickplay is bad.

Coolboy Coolboy I advise play Battle areans. much more laxed and you get constient ruelsets. qucikplay is garbage and I don't take it seriously anymore. I just go there sometimes now to just troll.
4 min, 2 stock, FD, 300 stamnia.
usually results in sudden death where I just either shoot laser and kill them with 1 laser (sudden death is 1 HP), bower junior bots or PK spam. And I sit there and laugh. loool. I already know how good I am at the game, so I don't take gsp seriously anymore which allows me to actaully play free on these troll ruslets.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Hmph, told you.... should have taken my advice. Not McSquirrtle's. My advice...was.... to either set up BA so you can get practice against good players on this forum, like myself, or post replays so we can review and give specfic feedback. But I dont blame your exhaustment, quickplay is bad.

Coolboy Coolboy I advise play Battle areans. much more laxed and you get constient ruelsets. qucikplay is garbage and I don't take it seriously anymore. I just go there sometimes now to just troll.
usually results in sudden death where I just either shoot laser and kill them with 1 laser (sudden death is 1 HP), bower junior bots or PK spam. And I sit there and laugh. loool. I already know how good I am at the game, so I don't take gsp seriously anymore which allows me to actaully play free on these troll ruslets.
I’ll do BA when I’ll come back. Gonna take a break for now but I’ll still follow the game and this forum.

To be more specific, I don’t feel frustration when I play as Joker, it’s more Bayonetta tbh.

I’ve always loved her character but good grief they made her extremely frustrating to play in this game.

It’s annoying when she keeps losing exchanges because her frame data is so bad, and her lag and startup issues on top of that don’t help. I’m just thinking why bother when it comes to her and just stick with Joker from now on.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I go to quickplay because at least I can get some games in at a reasonable time instead of waiting on BA and then getting kicked. Happens way too often. I just got an hour and 30 min ban though because Nintendo's connection choked with a communication error before the game even started. I really don't care either way, both are equally bad in their own ways. I'll just play against cpu for the time being.

I also saved some replays of my latest fights. One where it was free for all, but two players just kept to the edge of the stage and spammed and did nothing else because of fear of losing gsp and or trying to cheese for gsp and the other clip was because someone ragequit after they lost all their stock and so this Yoshi decided to stock himself because (why bother I can't get gsp now) and then this Kirby followed suit. Even when something happened where gsp wouldn't be distributed, I still fought like I normally would.

I've had that happen a few times but I never bothered to save replays. I'm going to upload those to my YT channel. I really would like to know how Nintendo's terrible management of Smash Ult's online hasn't gotten more traction. It's almost nonexistent except for this forum/thread and the few isolated pockets of discord channels. It's almost like Nintendo is trying it's best to hide the bad publicity and removing any bad reviews regarding online from places like Amazon and the such.

Last edited:

BEASTMASTERTOAD

Smash Cadet
NNID
BEASTMASTERTOAD

I see some are coming to the light and playing BA instead of Quickplay. Even when you get into a laggy match or a weird match, you can D/C or SD with no penalty other than a little wasted time.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
I may play Battle Arenas more than Quickplay, but I still like fighting random opponents that are stronger than me. (I literally beat a Ganon player that had INSANELY high GSP once. It was a seven minute, three stock, three hundred HP match. With no items. On Venom.) Heck, even YouTubers like King of Skill, Kyzerz, and Juggleboy still do Quickplay!

BEASTMASTERTOAD

Smash Cadet
NNID
BEASTMASTERTOAD
I may play Battle Arenas more than Quickplay, but I still like fighting random opponents that are stronger than me. (I literally beat a Ganon player that had INSANELY high GSP once. It was a seven minute, three stock, three hundred HP match. With no items. On Venom.) Heck, even YouTubers like King of Skill, Kyzerz, and Juggleboy still do Quickplay!
It’s not difficult to find 1v1 BAs with skilled opponents. Plus, you can rematch them usually as much as you (or they) want instead of the usual pump-and-dump culture of QP. This, of course, doesn't mean that you don’t run into salt mines every once in a while. I ran into a Luigi main last night that got upset enough about me beating him that he kicked me from the room.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
the problem with BA is that the creators can be soooo butthurt over silly things, cause i like to taunt after i took a stock..not to be a ass but because i like to use taunts, but they can get so butthurt over it that they kick me out of their BA, i am not sorry for not being a 100% serious hardcore competitive person besides these BA i joined never had a ''competitive only'' type of title..look i get the whole wanting to improve and get better thing but since when does that make people expect others to take it so 100% seriously as well? especially if someone would say that to me (and that happend)
it will only make me want to annoy the person like for real..to me it's just a game and if i can improve with stuff well then i am satisfied! but of course i try to win a match but i don't have to be 100% serious..cause then i will get bored of it.
that is why i prefer QP, no one to kick me for playing how i want to.,
and i am not a troll unfair person unless someone started being a troll/unfair person to me, i treat others how they treat me.
nothing is more satisfying then teabagging someone in a 1v1 when taking their last stock after they picked on you with a other opponent in a 3 player FFA in the previous match, i wouldn't had teabagged if they weren't so lame to just go after me all the time in a FFA match.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I just started doing battle arena more seriously, but I still like the idea of quick play because you can play quickly. Battle arena is like waiting your turn which can be fast or you can be waiting for 5 minutes or more. And then the match starts and boom communication failure because you're kicked or the host decides they've had enough or are butthurt. I'd rather endure 5 qp's with matches I didn't ask for then wait 5 minutes and not get anything in.

I also waited forever for one match that claimed they were being competitive, but low and behold it was assists and pokeballs on high. Both suck and the only way to get a good game is to just play with friends, but some of us also want to do fair random matches cause your friends aren't always going to be up to play a game of smash when you are.

BEASTMASTERTOAD

Smash Cadet
NNID
BEASTMASTERTOAD
the problem with BA is that the creators can be soooo butthurt over silly things, cause i like to taunt after i took a stock..not to be a *** but because i like to use taunts, but they can get so butthurt over it that they kick me out of their BA, i am not sorry for not being a 100% serious hardcore competitive person besides these BA i joined never had a ''competitive only'' type of title..look i get the whole wanting to improve and get better thing but since when does that make people expect others to take it so 100% seriously as well? especially if someone would say that to me (and that happend)
it will only make me want to annoy the person like for real..to me it's just a game and if i can improve with stuff well then i am satisfied! but of course i try to win a match but i don't have to be 100% serious..cause then i will get bored of it.
that is why i prefer QP, no one to kick me for playing how i want to.,
and i am not a troll unfair person unless someone started being a troll/unfair person to me, i treat others how they treat me.
nothing is more satisfying then teabagging someone in a 1v1 when taking their last stock after they picked on you with a other opponent in a 3 player FFA in the previous match, i wouldn't had teabagged if they weren't so lame to just go after me all the time in a FFA match.
Most people view taunting as a sign of disrespect when it’s done after a KO, so it’s not surprising that people kick you for it. If you VC with a room, they can know your intentions better, but most have a negative view of taunters they don’t know.
Either change this behavior or make your own BA. Or stay in QP.

Battle arena is like waiting your turn which can be fast or you can be waiting for 5 minutes or more. And then the match starts and boom communication failure because you're kicked or the host decides they've had enough or are butthurt.
Unless you are looking for FFA or Teams, you shouldn’t be waiting that long for a match.

Last edited:

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
Most people view taunting as a sign of disrespect when it’s done after a KO, so it’s not surprising that people kick you for it. If you VC with a room, they can know your intentions better, but most have a negative view of taunters they don’t know.
Either change this behavior or make your own BA. Or stay in QP.
it sucks that BA have no option to also just chat since VC isn't the best option for me due to a personal reason haha ^^''

i don't change myself to please others that's just kinda not my thing, if i had to please everyone then i would be depressed af cause i wouldn't be me >~>
i am just surprised taunting is being seen as bad as teabagging..i mean it's just taunting..it's not like i am spamming it or anything,
and they can taunt me as well if they take stocks from me no biggy. i never seen taunting as a bad thing other then to celebrate the fact you took a stock from the opponent,
what is the point of having taunts if we are never allowed to use them anywhere?
i also miss the days that the CPU would taunt when they took a stock from you.

J.I.L

it sucks that BA have no option to also just chat since VC isn't the best option for me due to a personal reason haha ^^''

i don't change myself to please others that's just kinda not my thing, if i had to please everyone then i would be depressed af cause i wouldn't be me >~>
i am just surprised taunting is being seen as bad as teabagging..i mean it's just taunting..it's not like i am spamming it or anything,
and they can taunt me as well if they take stocks from me no biggy. i never seen taunting as a bad thing other then to celebrate the fact you took a stock from the opponent,
what is the point of having taunts if we are never allowed to use them anywhere?
i also miss the days that the CPU would taunt when they took a stock from you.
Coolboy, to answer your question... people are just really soft. But my question is what is up with you and your infatuation with this yellow eyed boy who looks so adolescent that he looks also like a girl. Who is he?

BEASTMASTERTOAD

Smash Cadet
NNID
BEASTMASTERTOAD
Taunting is seen as disrespectful and arrogant when done in the manner you do it. Watch tournament footage and you’ll see that when taunting happens, it’s usually perceived that way as well in the competitive scene. You can’t expect someone that doesn’t know you to get that you mean no offense by it.
Personally, I don’t think its a big deal either way, but if you want more back-to-back BA matches, I don’t think it’s the end of the world to not taunt (unless your opponent did it first).

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
Taunting is seen as disrespectful and arrogant when done in the manner you do it. Watch tournament footage and you’ll see that when taunting happens, it’s usually perceived that way as well in the competitive scene. You can’t expect someone that doesn’t know you to get that you mean no offense by it.
Personally, I don’t think its a big deal either way, but if you want more back-to-back BA matches, I don’t think it’s the end of the world to not taunt (unless your opponent did it first).
people always use tournaments as examples when trying to proof their point but you know what the thing is..Smash online is NOT a tournament, it's online and well everyone is and plays different, so because it's ''disrespectful'' in tournaments and competitive play it's not accepted online..don't you think that's kinda rediculous and just stupid?
if people want to be 100% competitive well great for them they should go for it!
but doesn't mean i have to follow their mindset,
just because competitive people finds it disrespectful..doesn't mean it is, they should complain to Sakurai about adding taunts in, not to me because i use it, they should just accept the fact there are people who like to taunt, i mean come on it's a game people! -.-

Coolboy, to answer your question... people are just really soft. But my question is what is up with you and your infatuation with this yellow eyed boy who looks so adolescent that he looks also like a girl. Who is he?
whoa! kinda a unexpected question xD
but hes a character from a sport anime/game i think the game was there first but not sure tbh..
basically he is just 1 of my favorite anime characters and i have a huge list of favorite characters from different anime!
but who is he? well he was a badass villain who later well..weren't really a villain anymore in the next season but still his personality would let you think otherwise. (i can give you the long version but i can understand why that might be boring for you to read lol)
he and his friend (the white haired boy) are actually the only reason i watched the anime..i didn't had much with almost all the main characters tbh.
i just also like his icons and fanart alot soooo that might be why you see me changing my icon so much..besides i like to change my icon occasionally anyway
i'm not sure or you are into anime as well? it would be easier to understand if you are into it haha

BEASTMASTERTOAD

Smash Cadet
NNID
BEASTMASTERTOAD
if people want to be 100% competitive well great for them they should go for it!
but doesn't mean i have to follow their mindset,
just because competitive people finds it disrespectful..doesn't mean it is
And by the same token, people don’t have to put up with taunting they see as disrespectful just because you like doing it to people that don’t know you. All I’m saying is that if you want more matches, either you bend or suffer for it. Unless you have online or offline friends to play with, you have to do what Romans do when in Rome.

Last edited:

Kiligar

Smash Journeyman
I. Keep. On. Getting TEAM BATTLE every time I do FFA!!! Also when I’m tilted and in a GSP slide, and start winning, my opponent leaves and I get no GSP.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Unless you are looking for FFA or Teams, you shouldn’t be waiting that long for a match.
Well yeah. That's what I like most about smash. If I wanted just 1 vs 1 I would stick with quickplay since they favor those matches the most (because they're the easiest to find players for)

I mean I pick free for all, all the time on quickplay and I keep getting 1v1 the most. It's gotten to the point that I just mess around with some of the fighters and don't actually fight. It's surprising how bad some of them are at getting some hits in.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
yesterday was pure frustration matchmaking wise like no i don't want timed, no i don't want 1v1 only all the time, especially if i try to figure out how to fight with a certain character..no offense but 1v1 is usually tryhards and getting into a character's playstyle won't help me with that if all i gotta focus on is what my opponent will do -.- my poor Lucario.... SIGH i blame you matchmaking!
and what is with all these Ganondorfs?! i seen alot of them the past few days..
and i saw a Simon..in the 4 mil range..maaan how rare is that?! xD but i kinda forgot how to fight him since i haven't played against him for so long...

Sans3546

Smash Cadet
this game's online is absurd. nothing about online has been fixed. still stuck below 1m because everybody wants to use f*cking casual rulesets and force it down my throat which are damn near impossible to win as a ness main. my preferred rules clearly state that i want a 1v1 competitive final destination ruleset, yet i rarely get to see them, and when i do, the other person has no idea what they're doing. that's nothing new though.

what is new is a boatload of new bullsh*t that had to have been added at some point between the joker's release and now. for one, why the flying f*ck was final smash meter added as an option to online? also, what the hell happened to the lower end of the gsp spectrum? ignoring the fact that there is now more toxicity among the players in this game than there is politics, something bad had to have happened for this many free for all matchs to turn into pseudo 3v1 matchs that last the entire match. seriously, the breakdown of true free for all matches to these artificial 3v1 bullsh*t matches had to have been 50/50 at the very least. to top it all off, after taking 4th place in like nine out of ten consecutive games, the game must have thought i wasn't even trying and seems to have banned me from online (don't know if temporary or permanent). for seemingly no reason on behalf of my system, internet, or provider, the game keeps giving me communication errors the literal moment i press the a button to try and find a match sending me back to the main menu. i can't even get to the f*cking training screen anymore. this went on for like 15 minutes before i gave up, called my friend over, and got melee online from my friend's laptop.

what the f*ck was nintendo thinking when they made ultimate online? whatever mess this is, it's complete bullsh*t. i only ever get to enjoy this game offline, and it's rare even in that case because everybody either plays melee or doesn't play smash at all.

why do i even still try?

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
You could be running into taunt parties if it's turning into a 1vs3 match. Also Coolboy, I just had a bunch of different free for all matches with Richters who just wanted to spam axes and fire potions the entire match.

I actually managed to beat a Ness PK fire spammer, Lucas PK freezer, and a Ricther ax/fire spammer with Marth during one particular free for all. It was a nice victory as the odds were stacked against me, but it was also not fun. I mainly stuck through it to beat them, save a video, and upload how bad online is. Smash4 was never this bad.

And Sans, you're not banned. The communication failure happens here and there. I get it from time to time for no reason and it kicks you all the way to the beginning of the online menu. What I don't get is why the communication failure pops up, proceeds to kick you to the beginning, and then pops up again. What is the point of that? To rub it in?

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
tourney mode looks fun.. but the fact that they have a forced ruleset for a week is kinda meh..i mean if it's 1v1 week next week i won't be playing obviously
and do you get anything for winning the tourney? GSP bonus for that character? in game money (the golden coins you can earn and spend in the smash store) or spirit points and such? i feel like connection can be hell in this mode..since so many players will be playing at the same time..and there will be at least 10 to 20 with a bad connection..so that means there will probably be lag..lots of it....

Last edited:

Kadji100

Smash Cadet
I started the game early this morning to check out the new online tournament feature. Saw that only one ruleset is active. Shut down the Switch and went to work.

Seriously Nintendo, why is there only one active Ruleset?
I get it, I get it, you want to promote the "casual party aspect" of the game, which is absolutely fine to do.
But please recognize the competitive comunity that does not want to do 4 player FFA Lagfests.

Is it that difficult to have a "1 vs 1 Tournament Style" Ruleset active at all times while you offer some more casual oriented rulesets that rotate in addition to this "1 vs 1 Tournament Style" Ruleset?

The playerbase should be more than enough to justify multiple Tournamts with individual Rulesets running at the same time.

I am wondering what the "special event" Tournaments will be like. My guess: Only characters from universe XYZ are playable or an otherwise "themed" tournament.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
I started the game early this morning to check out the new online tournament feature. Saw that only one ruleset is active. Shut down the Switch and went to work.

Seriously Nintendo, why is there only one active Ruleset?
I get it, I get it, you want to promote the "casual party aspect" of the game, which is absolutely fine to do.
But please recognize the competitive comunity that does not want to do 4 player FFA Lagfests.

Is it that difficult to have a "1 vs 1 Tournament Style" Ruleset active at all times while you offer some more casual oriented rulesets that rotate in addition to this "1 vs 1 Tournament Style" Ruleset?

The playerbase should be more than enough to justify multiple Tournamts with individual Rulesets running at the same time.

I am wondering what the "special event" Tournaments will be like. My guess: Only characters from universe XYZ are playable or an otherwise "themed" tournament.
it changes every week..it's not standard FFA everytime..maybe next time they will do a ruleset for team matches or who knows even a 1v1 ruleset,
this week it's in favor for people who enjoy FFA and next time it might be in favor for people who want 1v1..all in all it's not that huge of a issue..yeah it can be annoying if you dislike the ruleset but hey there is still QP & BA so it's not like you have nothing else you can do.

Kadji100

Smash Cadet
Stamina is at least more fun than FFA in my opnion.
And yes, I understand that they rotate the ruleset. But this is something that was also anoying with Splatoon 2, where the Player vs CPU mode (what was it called again?) was not aviable at all times.

Why lock out players with some arbitary rotation system which, like I said, they could still have in place in addition to an always 1 vs 1 tournament.
I see no logical reason behind this except..."it's Nintendo"...

Chadmander

Smash Cadet
So online just got worse.
Now in quick play if you lose or gain elite smash status you're automatically disconnected from your opponent.

Last edited:

Chadmander

Smash Cadet
Lets say we were to meet in elite smash and you win.

My GSP then falls below the elite threshold right after the match, I get a message telling me I've lost my elite status and immediately sends me back to the menu with no chance for a rematch.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
it changes every week..it's not standard FFA everytime..maybe next time they will do a ruleset for team matches or who knows even a 1v1 ruleset,
this week it's in favor for people who enjoy FFA and next time it might be in favor for people who want 1v1..all in all it's not that huge of a issue..yeah it can be annoying if you dislike the ruleset but hey there is still QP & BA so it's not like you have nothing else you can do.
Of course it can be annoying! It cant be played that way!

J.I.L

WHY DO WE HAVE SUDDEN DEATH ON TOURNAMENTS? THIS IS SOME BULL!
In my first 1v1 tournament I played today, I decided to play falco. I swept (two stocked) my first round, times out my 2nd round and two stocked my 3rd round oppent. I got to the semi finals and played this lemmy. I was BEATING HIM. If I had more time, I could have won. He ended up living to get to sudden death where he just did some cheese.

WHY DONT THEY DO WHAT SMASH 4 did by awarding the fighter with more damage given? THIS IS STUPID!
I could have won the 1v1 tourney in my FIRST TRY! I WAS CHEATED!

CHEATED!

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
WHY DO WE HAVE SUDDEN DEATH ON TOURNAMENTS? THIS IS SOME BULL!
In my first 1v1 tournament I played today, I decided to play falco. I swept (two stocked) my first round, times out my 2nd round and two stocked my 3rd round oppent. I got to the semi finals and played this lemmy. I was BEATING HIM. If I had more time, I could have won. He ended up living to get to sudden death where he just did some cheese.

WHY DONT THEY DO WHAT SMASH 4 did by awarding the fighter with more damage given? THIS IS STUPID!
I could have won the 1v1 tourney in my FIRST TRY! I WAS CHEATED!

CHEATED!
Could be worse. (cut to SSJ Goku being jumped on repeatedly by LSSJ Broly)
It did suck for me too. At the finals, I fought a Villager amateur, I was using Kirby, Villager lived, Sudden Death, my brother interrupted me by saying "It's time for your medication" in a weird voice, that and Lloid Rocket got me killed. If it wasn't for my BROTHER showing up, I would've won. At least it's better than getting cheesed on. (Calm down, it wasn't on purpose.)

And at least Online Tourney mode is actually FUN. I beat a Mii Brawler amateur, a Kirby amateur, and a Hero amateur and I won. If they really thought they could beat a Kirby ace like me, they were easily mistaken.

kinbobbobkin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Remybunny14
3DS FC
1822-1654-6056
I sometimes really hate doing 2v2 with my cousins because we have to deal with the bs of double teabag heavies (King K)

It's not fun
It's really irritating
And there's no point of versing them because once they win they'll quickly leave.

Same can be called with Samus too.

Last edited:

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
Of course it can be annoying! It cant be played that way!
it can be played that way maybe you just need to git gud at the ruleset? ;D
if you can handle 1v1 and you consider yourself awesome at the game then a FFA tourney shouldn't be a issue for you ne?
there is more then just 1v1, not all of us breath and live for 1v1 matches my dude.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Stamina is at least more fun than FFA in my opnion.
And yes, I understand that they rotate the ruleset. But this is something that was also anoying with Splatoon 2, where the Player vs CPU mode (what was it called again?) was not aviable at all times.

Why lock out players with some arbitary rotation system which, like I said, they could still have in place in addition to an always 1 vs 1 tournament.
I see no logical reason behind this except..."it's Nintendo"...
Salmon Run. And I hated that about Splatoon 2. I could never arrange a meetup with my friends and had to play random all the time because of that. So stupid. And this is stupid to.

Dude J.I.L J.I.L I just had that happen to me with Hero. Except it was because they landed criticals on 1v1. I was flooring them. They couldn't get a lot of hits in edgewise. Then boom 0-to dead. ALL THREE TIMES. Honestly I'm just going to chalk that up to a victory for me since I clearly had more skill and they won just on luck alone. I was using Marth so I had to be up close and personal, so that didn't help lol.

I also got Jigglypuff out of gsp hell. That took forever. It kept giving me cheese matches and when I did win the loser ragequit and I didn't get jack. Most of the time, thankfully some had sportsmanship to see it through to the end. You guys will love this one. My last match was against a Kirby that kept to the ledge, sucked, and tried to take me off to the blast zone. Except Jiggly has as many jumps as Kirby. So it didn't work. And they refused to change up their tactic and kept to the ledge the entire time. Super annoying.

Edit: Oof so I am out of gsp hell, but I realized something. The people in gsp hell were better with free for alls. The few matches I have had now have literally turned into 1v2 as someone is forced into the middle and everyone is too afraid to just play. Afraid you gonna lose your gsps? Nintendo get rid of this garbage. I have also been getting communication errors a lot lately. Like for every match I do I get kicked out during the character select back to the main menu. I am guessing it's due to Heroes inclusion and everyone is now back on Smash overloading the system. But if that is the case, this is set up worst then Smash4 was. And we are paying for this lol.

Last edited:

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
it can be played that way maybe you just need to git gud at the ruleset? ;D
if you can handle 1v1 and you consider yourself awesome at the game then a FFA tourney shouldn't be a issue for you ne?
there is more then just 1v1, not all of us breath and live for 1v1 matches my dude.
no, I cant, because any match that is not 1v1 is super lagged to me, this includes 2v2 and FFA that has 3 other players, not counting me. Also, this that you are talking about is not a thing about "being good at", is what I (or any other person) like to play. I'm also very far from being good at competitive 1v1 matches, it doesnt mean I enjoy the crazyness of free-for-all with items, specially when I dont want to play this way. This is also not the first Smash game of most people here probably, people already know which modes they like and how they like to enjoy Smash, just saying "Play more FFA" or "get better in these modes" is just irrelevant, cause people probably already gave a lot of chances for all these modes, and they just already know what they like. If the developers dont provide a good space for competitive Smash, players are just on their right to be disappointed by that.

Today I had an almost excelent experience with Online Tournament. It was set to 2-Stock 1v1 battles with no items or FS, and it was just the most fun I had with Smash Ultimate online since release date, cause it was like having a "For Glory" button there, that I could click and I would find a simple 1v1 stock match in omega stages, with almost no lag too because it was just 1v1 matches. I just wanted that to be avaiable to me forever, but I dont know when this will return because the rulesets has some rotation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom