• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is online in this game so bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
Well I'm ****posting mostly because idiots like everyone I see mostly talk about Nintendo's online saying lol $20 is 2 much, u poor child when all Nintendo ever does is demonstrate with ridiculous decisions such as the Mario Maker 2 issues that their online is not worth it at all, maybe even if it was free. It's almost like they're playing corrupt a wish with us instead of actually being serious about game design,

No one ever said that games are easy to make, but sinple concepts such as playing with friends should be the standard and all Nintendo does is **** up things that no one else would've ****ed up, which throws out everything that would've made everybody like Nintendo. I could type more but I wager UnwipedPooStain and jake-sf can both explain it better than I can in this GameFAQs thread.

It's ****ing embarrasing to be a Nintendo fan when they cannot get even the most basic stuff done.
I agree, it's a damn shame growing up with NES/SNES/N64 Nintendo and just seeing them progressively still make stupid decisions that you would think anyone with common sense wouldn't screw up on. I appreciate Nintendo for making so many memories and games in my life, but the online in Ultimate is a perfect example of how they are and always will be the laughing stock of video game companies.

BEASTMASTERTOAD

Smash Cadet
NNID
BEASTMASTERTOAD
It's ****ing embarrasing to be a Nintendo fan when they cannot get even the most basic stuff done.
You shouldn’t be tying your identity so much to a company that this embarrasses you.
To the rest of your point, the real reason why Switch online is so weird is because of the choice to go with hardware that has difficulty multitasking. If you remember, unlike with the Wii U, which allowed you to use Miiverse, video chat, and use the web browser while a game was suspended, the Switch does not allow you to do anything other than basic menu options and look at eShop with suspended software. There isn’t even a web browser or any sort of direct communication method. The bottom line is that the Switch, while more powerful than the Wii U, is unable to multitask, hence Nintendo Switch Online phone app. It sucks, but I hope a hardware revision mends this issue (however low this chance is).

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
You shouldn’t be tying your identity so much to a company that this embarrasses you.
To the rest of your point, the real reason why Switch online is so weird is because of the choice to go with hardware that has difficulty multitasking. If you remember, unlike with the Wii U, which allowed you to use Miiverse, video chat, and use the web browser while a game was suspended, the Switch does not allow you to do anything other than basic menu options and look at eShop with suspended software. There isn’t even a web browser or any sort of direct communication method. The bottom line is that the Switch, while more powerful than the Wii U, is unable to multitask, hence Nintendo Switch Online phone app. It sucks, but I hope a hardware revision mends this issue (however low this chance is).
Maybe this is true, but most of what is trash about online are design decisions that have nothing to do with hardware. The ranking system is trash, rule sets are trash, and its lack of a proper lag filter is trash. None of those require hardware, and while I definitely think that the hardware could be improved, especially by making a god damn ethernet connection standard on the dock, I would be totally fine if they just fixed the blatantly stupid software design decisions that make the experience miserable.

I never want to:
  • play FFAs
  • play stages other than BF or Omega
  • play with items
  • Play anything other than 3 stock 7 minutes
Ever. I have literally never applied any of those rules even one time.

I mean seriously, 99.9% of online users would support separating ranked from troll modes, just like Tr4Sh. It is absurd that nintendo still has not done this in spite of the massive outcry. They are such stubborn fools.

Last edited:

J.I.L

Banned via Administration
Maybe this is true, but most of what is trash about online are design decisions that have nothing to do with hardware. The ranking system is trash, rule sets are trash, and its lack of a proper lag filter is trash. None of those require hardware, and while I definitely think that the hardware could be improved, especially by making a god damn ethernet connection standard on the dock, I would be totally fine if they just fixed the blatantly stupid software design decisions that make the experience miserable.

I never want to:
  • play FFAs
  • play stages other than BF or Omega
  • play with items
  • Play anything other than 3 stock 7 minutes
Ever. I have literally never applied any of those rules even one time.

I mean seriously, 99.9% of online users would support separating ranked from troll modes, just like Tr4Sh. It is absurd that nintendo still has not done this in spite of the massive outcry. They are such stubborn fools.
I agree, but two things: A. I wasn't trolling, my gsp for my players are ripe and ready to be showcased. B. You got to chill on smash 4 flaming. smash 4 was a good game.

And I agree with that, A ranked mode should be sperate from casual play online mod... and casual online mode you get to pick stage, taunt as many times...etc. bascially have it be like playground/all skill level ba. And then in casual mode, offer 1v1, team battle, FFA. Same with ranked mod except no ranked FFA. I'll miss my 2 stock 5 minute ruleset but i'll let it go if we can imporve the online in such drastic ways. Do you have any idea what nintendo was going for with this online system?

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
I agree, but two things: A. I wasn't trolling, my gsp for my players are ripe and ready to be showcased. B. You got to chill on smash 4 flaming. smash 4 was a good game.

And I agree with that, A ranked mode should be sperate from casual play online mod... and casual online mode you get to pick stage, taunt as many times...etc. bascially have it be like playground/all skill level ba. And then in casual mode, offer 1v1, team battle, FFA. Same with ranked mod except no ranked FFA. I'll miss my 2 stock 5 minute ruleset but i'll let it go if we can imporve the online in such drastic ways. Do you have any idea what nintendo was going for with this online system?
Yes, they were trying to make a child friendly safe space where everybody can just have FUN! What they actually made is a toxic hell hole, but it was a nice try. Also, i played a massive amount of smash 4, but i still think it is the rock bottom of the series. Its only edge on the other games is having for glory, but its offline was just the worst by far. Just my opinion on it.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yes, they were trying to make a child friendly safe space where everybody can just have FUN! What they actually made is a toxic hell hole, but it was a nice try. Also, i played a massive amount of smash 4, but i still think it is the rock bottom of the series. Its only edge on the other games is having for glory, but its offline was just the worst by far. Just my opinion on it.
Well Smash 4 and Brawl were very toxic too, so I guess they just can't win.

More likely they were tired of complaints of Smash 4 online being limited so they gave everyone tools to try and tailor the experience to their needs, either use basic options in quickplay to find matches, well, quickly but with less accuracy if you have an open mind, or use arenas to make your play more specific or experiment with niche/unpopular rulesets. Arenas give you all the separation you need, which is why we've only seen tweaks to matchmaking. You can't go on pretending they don't exist when you bring up complaints, or you'll be treated like people who don't read instructions before calling for help.

Ranking is overrated. If you liked For Glory which had no such thing it will have little impact on how much you enjoy playing whether or not it's there.

This post sums up my feelings nicely: https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/..._greatly_enjoy_online_mode_despite_its_flaws/ Just to give some perspective that no, Ultimate online doesn't have a 0% approval rating. But you all will likely just ignore it because his wants don't align exactly with yours.

BEASTMASTERTOAD

Smash Cadet
NNID
BEASTMASTERTOAD
You know, you can make a Battle Arena if FD or BF is that important to you. Quickplay should not be where you go if you want it completely your way.

Also, Brawl was actually the rock bottom of the series in terms of competitive play. Smash 4 was a major improvement by comparison.

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
You know, you can make a Battle Arena if FD or BF is that important to you. Quickplay should not be where you go if you want it completely your way.

Also, Brawl was actually the rock bottom of the series in terms of competitive play. Smash 4 was a major improvement by comparison.
I totally disagree. Their ranked mode shouldn't be a clown fest. I don't accept the "if you don't like it, go somewhere else argument". Thats horse ****. We all know QP is an embarrassing joke, and I don't blame anybody for complaining about it. Battle arena's have their place, but they aren't ranked, and this game should have a game mode with a legitimate ladder + leader board with competitive rule sets. If nintendo was an even remotely good dev, they would incorporate the competitive stage set into it, but I won't even ask for that since you know it will be mishandled.

You're welcome to make an argument as to why QP is "good", but don't come at me with that "just accept it" junk. The only way that we get any of this fixed is by complaining relentlessly.

BEASTMASTERTOAD

Smash Cadet
NNID
BEASTMASTERTOAD
I totally disagree. Their ranked mode shouldn't be a clown fest. I don't accept the "if you don't like it, go somewhere else argument". Thats horse ****. We all know QP is an embarrassing joke, and I don't blame anybody for complaining about it. Battle arena's have their place, but they aren't ranked, and this game should have a game mode with a legitimate ladder + leader board with competitive rule sets. If nintendo was an even remotely good dev, they would incorporate the competitive stage set into it, but I won't even ask for that since you know it will be mishandled.

You're welcome to make an argument as to why QP is "good", but don't come at me with that "just accept it" junk. The only way that we get any of this fixed is by complaining relentlessly.
I’m not saying that Quickplay is perfect or even good, I’m saying that you can have the matches you want to have with Battle Arenas. Personally, I don’t care about being ranked or not, so that’s not a bother for me, but I can understand where you are coming from.

J.I.L

Well Smash 4 and Brawl were very toxic too, so I guess they just can't win.

More likely they were tired of complaints of Smash 4 online being limited so they gave everyone tools to try and tailor the experience to their needs, either use basic options in quickplay to find matches, well, quickly but with less accuracy if you have an open mind, or use arenas to make your play more specific or experiment with niche/unpopular rulesets. Arenas give you all the separation you need, which is why we've only seen tweaks to matchmaking. You can't go on pretending they don't exist when you bring up complaints, or you'll be treated like people who don't read instructions before calling for help.

Ranking is overrated. If you liked For Glory which had no such thing it will have little impact on how much you enjoy playing whether or not it's there.

This post sums up my feelings nicely: https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/..._greatly_enjoy_online_mode_despite_its_flaws/ Just to give some perspective that no, Ultimate online doesn't have a 0% approval rating. But you all will likely just ignore it because his wants don't align exactly with yours.
I see what you’re saying, but even if they were trying to expand smash 4 by making rulesets, there are far better ways of implementing that then the garbage they did. First of all, modes such as ffa, TB and 1v1 shouldn’t be preferred but guaranteed modes. Then in those modes, you can select your preferred rules. And in those modes, you’re guaranteed to get a 1v1, team battle or ffa. That’s one where they dropped the ball.
2. This game needs to allow people to change characters between match. Even if you’re in elite smash or not, when you go to change characters you can be able to change characters based on if their in elite smash or not. So if I’m not in elite smash, I can only pick players not in elite smash, and vice versa if I’m in elite smash. Then you’ll say “what about it I pick a 1 million gsp character, I crush a 750 k character, he comes back with his main at 4.3 million gsp and dominates. Then what? Wouldn’t online be more toxic?” I’d tell you, STOP CRYING. AND GET GOOD! (loool)
But honestly, if Nintendo stopped it there, that’s honestly what I’d say. But a way to limit such lopsided rematches is for Nintendo to put in actual rank modes so players can rematch with players catering to a certain rank. I’d have 3 rank modes. Beginner smash, moderate smash, and elite smash.
This game doesn’t allow random, or no taunts. Like quickplay has serious problems, and you say go to BA. Dude, BA kinda blows. Owners in these players are complete charmin ultra soft babies, and I have to wait in those dumb lines like who has time for that? I literally now create my own BA because owner keep booting me because they are soft as baby wipes.

Look, I’ve grown somewhat content for what this online is ( because their little “preferred” ruleset system allows me to pick 1 stock 100 stamina which I greatly expose with falco and ness in elite smash), but there are significant problems in quickplay that must be amended.

D

Deleted member

A couple people keep saying "go play battle arenas, they're the perfect solution for all your concerns" but I get the feeling those people haven't actually tried themselves (in particular to do anything other than 1v1, which I've said before: if you're only interested in 1v1 then no sh** you're going to have an easier time finding the type of matches you want).

J.I.L J.I.L touched on this but battle arenas are just as obnoxious as quickplay, only in different ways. Like quickplay, there is a small percentage of time where it works amazingly well, BUT most of the time it's literally wasting your time. When I've tried hosting my own arena nobody joined. Or like 1 or 2 people would drop in then leave before we could start a team battle (which is what I want to play). Even if you have the patience to wait a long time, the game will force you to close your arena after 10-15 minutes of no one joining. Trying to play in other arenas means a lot of looking and waiting followed by suddenly "the arena has been shut down" right before you get to play or after only a match or two and now it's back to more looking and waiting. And even then I don't always find the ruleset I'd prefer, or if the match was laggy then I'll probably have to start over. Like I don't have time for that. I just want to jump in and play the d*** game, like I can do with any other game or with Smash 4.

J.I.L

A couple people keep saying "go play battle arenas, they're the perfect solution for all your concerns" but I get the feeling those people haven't actually tried themselves (in particular to do anything other than 1v1, which I've said before: if you're only interested in 1v1 then no sh** you're going to have an easier time finding the type of matches you want).

J.I.L J.I.L touched on this but battle arenas are just as obnoxious as quickplay, only in different ways. Like quickplay, there is a small percentage of time where it works amazingly well, BUT most of the time it's literally wasting your time. When I've tried hosting my own arena nobody joined. Or like 1 or 2 people would drop in then leave before we could start a team battle (which is what I want to play). Even if you have the patience to wait a long time, the game will force you to close your arena after 10-15 minutes of no one joining. Trying to play in other arenas means a lot of looking and waiting followed by suddenly "the arena has been shut down" right before you get to play or after only a match or two and now it's back to more looking and waiting. And even then I don't always find the ruleset I'd prefer, or if the match was laggy then I'll probably have to start over. Like I don't have time for that. I just want to jump in and play the d*** game, like I can do with any other game or with Smash 4.
100% pure facts.
But what is your team battle rules? Maybe it’s too specific or unpopular? And how many people do you allow to join?

BEASTMASTERTOAD

Smash Cadet
NNID
BEASTMASTERTOAD
When I've tried hosting my own arena nobody joined. Or like 1 or 2 people would drop in then leave before we could start a team battle (which is what I want to play).
Maybe you are playing at weird times of the day. In my region (East Coast), I find games (or get a full room for any mode) easily starting from the mid afternoon until very early in the morning. Between early morning and early afternoon, there aren’t a lot of people online. This might be your issue.
Another thing that might be going on is that you aren’t meeting the people in your room halfway. If I want a team battle room, but I only have 1 or 2 players in the room, I play a match with them until enough newcomers show up (they usually do). If you expect others in your room to wait on a full room, you will end up with no one because they’ll just go to another room to get a match.

StoicPhantom

Smash Ace
I would also agree with the sentiment that we shouldn't just accept how bad online is. There is absolutely no excuse for it to be missing basic features, that have been standard in online competitive games for years, like connection filters. Or be worse than the previous game, in terms of lag and match-making.

I improved my win rate by 8% yesterday and lost 6,000 GSP. That's because the game keeps matching me with people 30-40, sometimes over 100,000 GSP lower than me. I often have to win seven straight games to offset one loss. Given how I play maybe three games with a decent connection per session, I'm going to lose eventually, due to lag. I've managed to stay mostly even, but the higher I go, the steeper the penalty for losing and I'm starting to lose ground to the lag hordes. I don't care much about GSP, but I want to be matched with good players consistently. However, it's completely pointless in maintaining a high GSP, if I'm going to be matched with people significantly lower than me anyways. I have a 70% win rate, it's clear I'm not playing people at my level.

In the rare event I do get someone on my level, they're even laggier than what I normally get. In the incredibly rare event I get matched with someone higher than me and they're not laggy, I win or go even, proving I'm still not where I should be. The final straw, was getting matched with a laggy Link at 4.850 million GSP. I took maybe one game off of him and struggled significantly. Not because he was good, but because the lag was so bad, I was playing an entirely different game. Even parrying a Boomerang point blank, still didn't allow me to punish him and I got punished instead. All that made it very clear that at that level, lag will always be the deciding factor and if that's what's waiting for me, there is zero point in trying to go any further.

I just want to get matched with good opponents with minimum effort. That's what Elite promised, but I haven't had much fun for months now. I don't want to put a lot of effort in online and don't like the wait time in arenas, but I'm not going to play QP in any remotely serious fashion anymore.

This is without hyperbole, the worst online I've ever seen. I'm angry at and legitimately embarrassed for the dev team. I don't understand why it's so hard for Nintendo to copy what others are doing and adopt standard things like connection filters and an actual ranking system. They managed to adopt the standard of charging for online, so I don't see why they can't do the same for user experience. If I didn't need it to play with a friend, I'd honestly consider canceling my subscription. I just feel cheated in paying for what seems like a worse experience, than when online was free.

Crash4Smash

Smash Apprentice
My personal opinion is that too many people just aren't using the online aside from the new arenas feature. Now that Amiibo can be used in arenas, this may or may not change in the future.

D

Deleted member

Smash 4's online was good enough for me to enjoy the crap out of it. I would often boot it up and play a few matches in tabletop mode while doing something else like eating food. My playtime for Smash 4 is well over 1000 hours and I'm sure at least 90% of that was playing online team For Glory.

Was it perfect 100% of the time? No, of course not. But it was good enough to keep me coming back and I very rarely had a hard time finding people in FG to play team battles with. Comparing that experience with Smash Ultimate is like night and day. I can hardly ever play the type of match I want and it's such a tossup that I sometimes double check that I even have preferences turned on--yep, I do, they just get completely ignored I guess. Ultimate's online is bad enough that it keeps me from playing even when I feel like wanting to Smash.

Also, I know it's popular to bash on Smash 4 along with every other Wii U-era game, but please don't. It had arguably the biggest Smash hype cycle, brought back Mewtwo, and did a lot of things right even with the 3DS limitations. Also TP Zelda was best waifu.

BEASTMASTERTOAD

Smash Cadet
NNID
BEASTMASTERTOAD
Smash 4's online was good enough for me to enjoy the crap out of it. I would often boot it up and play a few matches in tabletop mode while doing something else like eating food. My playtime for Smash 4 is well over 1000 hours and I'm sure at least 90% of that was playing online team For Glory.

Was it perfect 100% of the time? No, of course not. But it was good enough to keep me coming back and I very rarely had a hard time finding people in FG to play team battles with. Comparing that experience with Smash Ultimate is like night and day. I can hardly ever play the type of match I want and it's such a tossup that I sometimes double check that I even have preferences turned on--yep, I do, they just get completely ignored I guess. Ultimate's online is bad enough that it keeps me from playing even when I feel like wanting to Smash.

Also, I know it's popular to bash on Smash 4 along with every other Wii U-era game, but please don't. It had arguably the biggest Smash hype cycle, brought back Mewtwo, and did a lot of things right even with the 3DS limitations. Also TP Zelda was best waifu.
I played the heck out of 4 too, but the lack of options outside of playing friends was felt greatly. The only thing it did better than Ultimate was allow for switching between matches without disconnecting from your opponents (which can be mitigated by keeping the max room size in a BA down to the amount needed to play). I did not enjoy Omega form stages only all day everyday and connecting with opponents that didn’t lag was probably worse (many times I couldn’t even connect in the first place because the consoles couldn’t communicate with each other). Smash 4 was much better than Brawl online, but I’d take Ultimate every day of the year over 4 because I can at least get the matches I want through BA (and really, I can do the same in QP — this hasn’t been an issue for me since the launch month).

And finally, playing team battles on omega form stages is stupid and will never not be stupid, especially with TA on. Fight me.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
You obviously never played 4 or Brawl if you believe this statement.
I'll just quote this from another thread

Smash 4's online options are limited, but at least they are consistent -- meaning that if one goes to the 1 vs. 1 part of For Glory, they will get a 1 vs. 1 match 100% of the time. In Ultimate's online, from what I've heard, the rules are always changing and there is no guarantee that one will get a 1 vs. 1 match (or any other type of match). In addition, in Smash 4's "For Fun / For Glory" one can switch fighters without having to leave a room, whereas in Ultimate, the only way to change fighters (in Quickplay) is to leave who you're playing against. That's why a number of people have said that Smash 4's online is better than Ultimate's online.
Battle arenas are also only one per console and don't allow CPU's

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Disregarding issues with how online functions regarding GSP, match-making and battle arenas, I'm pretty much in the minority here when it comes to lag. I barely get matches with that much lag. In fact, ever since launch I've can only count two games with input lag.

Last edited:

BEASTMASTERTOAD

Smash Cadet
NNID
BEASTMASTERTOAD
I'll just quote this from another thread
This could be the case if QP was the ONLY online mode, but this isn’t true. Smash 4 is still inferior in content and choices compared to Ultimate.

Disregarding issues with how online functions regarding GSP, match-making and battle arenas, I'm pretty much in the minority here when it comes to lag. I barely get matches with that much lag. In fact, ever since launch I've can only count two games with input lag.
I have about 200 hours online and I’d say about 1/4 matches have some form of lag. Of that, about 2/3 of the lag is unplayable (frequent stops, slideshow-style lagging, or severe input lag). It’s not perfect or barely noticeable, but not as bad as some make it out to be. I certainly suffered worse lag in the previous 2 smash games online.

Last edited:

yyy50yyy

Smash Rookie
Impress? Give me a break. This ain’t to impress. This is to cause shockwave signals across the cosmos of this forum so people may think twice before trash talking my game and inferring it’s easy to beat me. Once I get back to playing smash, I’ll beef up my gsp by of course - winning (hopefully). And I’ll post it so people can see. Then if someone trash talk me, I’ll pull up my gsp... and challenge them to a BA 1v1. We will see how many will be willing to want to try me after that.
Still waiting on the DM of a friend code for the BA 1v1.

J.I.L

Still waiting on the DM of a friend code for the BA 1v1.
My bowser Jr is at about 4.82 million, while my falco was as high as 4.8 mil. My ness was at 4.79 million, don't try me. Unless you want to be my first victim that'll i'll showcase (you can do the posting)) to anyone else who challenges me in the future.

and you set up the Battle arena, i'm not setting up jack sqaut. The woman I faced before set up the battle arena and I just entered. Just make a private one with a code, dm me the code and i'll be ready.

edit: actually...i'll host the arena. Tell me when you're ready.
edit again: are you a tourney player?

Last edited:

HeavyMaster

Smash Cadet
My bowser Jr is at about 4.82 million, while my falco was as high as 4.8 mil. My ness was at 4.79 million, don't try me. Unless you want to be my first victim that'll i'll showcase (you can do the posting)) to anyone else who challenges me in the future.
Ok i'll go straight to the point, can you and the people involved just stop trash talking each other in front of everyone in this thread? I'm sure you're all great at the game, but why do you keep trying to cry about who's the best? And J.I.L., why are you being so condescending? Just move on with it, guys

Last edited:

J.I.L

Ok i'll go straight to the point, can you and the people involved just stop trash talking each other in front of everyone in this thread? I'm sure you're all great at the game, but why do you keep trying to cry about who's the best? And J.I.L., why are you being so condescending? Just move on with it, guys
lool, it's gets me excitied. When i'm excitied, i'm more focused and humble...that's when I play at my best. And how the heck am I being condencending? And that's what i'm trying to do, Master Heavy. Once he says he's ready, we will carry forth further dialouge in the private chambers of this forum. And hopefully he post our battles.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
For real. We should be able to have civilized conversations that don't involve everyone's hangups they have about whomever.

I tried BA and I got maybe one game in and it was super laggy. The other times I was waiting and when it finally came to be my turn the host just killed it. Nice waste of everyone's time. They should just keep it open and give host rights to the person with the most seniority after the host leaves.

Last edited:

HeavyMaster

Smash Cadet
Saying "don't try me", "post our battles", "be my first victim" is pretty much wanting to prove that you're better than someone, and in the long run, it doesn't matter that much, don't you think?

For real. We should be able to have civilized conversations that don't involve everyone's hangups they have about whomever..
Exactly my thought

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I will be honest and say I have not touched smash a whole lot. Even after the update I haven't really put a lot of time into the game. Most times it's when I organize a BA with friends. And even friend battles have limits when they should not. Like one of my friends has a brother and they wanted to play together but they couldn't. That should not be a thing when two players can do quickplay. Unless I am mixing that up with Smash4.

HeavyMaster

Smash Cadet
I will be honest and say I have not touched smash a whole lot. Even after the update I haven't really put a lot of time into the game. Most times it's when I organize a BA with friends. And even friend battles have limits when they should not. Like one of my friends has a brother and they wanted to play together but they couldn't. That should not be a thing when two players can do quickplay. Unless I am mixing that up with Smash4.
Same for me in fact. When I call a friend over and other people we know are online, it would be really cool to setup an arena and have 2 locals vs 2 online.

But I can see the reasoning behind this decision, even if it's a bad one: You see, if I'm doing a free for all arenas with a friend in local, we would obviously just team up and kill the 2 other players and finish together and purposely stalling the game. And in team battle arenas, it would be quite ridiculous, since the 2 locals can coordinate combos better than randos online.

I don't agree, I just understand why they did it this way.

J.I.L

For real. We should be able to have civilized conversations that don't involve everyone's hangups they have about whomever.

I tried BA and I got maybe one game in and it was super laggy. The other times I was waiting and when it finally came to be my turn the host just killed it. Nice waste of everyone's time. They should just keep it open and give host rights to the person with the most seniority after the host leaves.
They just need to make public arenas and then have standard rulesets for each mode.

And you still have smash 4? I turned it that game when I got ultimate.

HeavyMaster HeavyMaster at ease. It's just largely playful but competitive jeature. And who knows what the future will entail. Maybe I get wrecked so hard by this guy, I get embarrassed and rarley comment on this furom anymore (I know a few people would like that outcome....LOOOOOOOL). Maybe I destory him and show credence to how good I am...maybe even encouraging more challengers at my dorrstep. Maybe we go even and go out with respect for each other....maybe we just never fight. Idk..... i'm just WAITING for this guy to respond so I don't have to carry on about private matters like this in front of everyone.

Last edited:

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I can understand that for random online, but not so much friends online. Because if you've friended someone to play with them, you should at least know them well enough to have given them your friend code. I have plenty of people who try to give me their friend code after a match. Some I have accepted if we had a lot of fun, but it's useless since you can't really communicate with them at all. There's not even predetermined commands like 'let's play!' like they have for the taunts after the matches for Smash Ult.

So you're never going to play with them again after that match-up unless you're extremely lucky. This is something that Nintendo has suffered with for a long time. The WiiU at least had the saving grace of Miiverse even if it was full of the edgiest ten year olds around. Since you could message them after you played a match together. The people you had fun sparing against, not the 10 year olds.

Last edited:

HeavyMaster

Smash Cadet
I can understand that for random online, but not so much friends online. Because if you've friended someone to play with them, you should at least know them well enough to have given them your friend code. I have plenty of people who try to give me their friend code after a match. Some I have accepted if we had a lot of fun, but it's useless since you can't really communicate with them at all. There's not even predetermined commands like 'let's play!' like they have for the taunts after the matches for Smash Ult.

So you're never going to play with them again after that match-up unless you're extremely lucky. This is something that Nintendo has suffered with for a long time. The WiiU at least had the saving grace of Miiverse even if it was full of the edgiest ten year olds around. Since you could message them after you played a match together.
I agree 100%. It irritates me that I see that one of my friend is on smash, but there is no way for me to message them on switch. I have to text them (Facebook, phone, w/e) to see if they want to play, but there's a high chance they won't see it until if they have to go. Just a simple private message option (like XBox One) would be really nice.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Smash4 had this option, granted it was because of Miiverse and private messages, but still. They really haven't had a lot of ways for communication on the Switch. And since I am a fan of Animal Crossing, I shudder to think how they're going to manage communication on that game.

HeavyMaster

Smash Cadet
Smash4 had this option, granted it was because of Miiverse and private messages, but still. They really haven't had a lot of ways for communication on the Switch. And since I am a fan of Animal Crossing, I shudder to think how they're going to manage communication on that game.
Yeah switch is very dissapointing in the communication department

But hey, there's the Nintendo switch online app! *cricket noises*

Yeah, better to stick with discord lol

Last edited:

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
This could be the case if QP was the ONLY online mode, but this isn’t true. Smash 4 is still inferior in content and choices compared to Ultimate.
battle arenas you'd have to find one that matches the rules you want or you can host one yourself.

If you host one you have to hope that people join it and also hope that they're willing to stay.
If you find one you must hope the host doesn't close it, they have the rules you want and they allow you time to change your character or stage you want because people are dickfaces who will spam the start button until they are able to start a match.
I could type more but the point is that battle arenas have their own issues and aren't exactly a good for fun/for glory replacement either.

EDIT:
My personal opinion is that too many people just aren't using the online aside from the new arenas feature. Now that Amiibo can be used in arenas, this may or may not change in the future.
I thought it would change but players cannot play a match alongside their amiibo without using a second Switch so it won't change much in online usage.

Last edited:

Coccinelle

Smash Apprentice
Not rarely I run into an opponent who has a connection so bad that the game is almost unplayable, like freezing all the time. The end of the fight is just pure relieve and obviously I never rematch. The problem is that quite often I get the same opponent again after a few games and have to endure the same extreme lag. I am really wondering why do these guys play? I understand they may not be able to fix their Wifi connection but I cannot imagine how they could possibly enjoy this.

Last edited:

BEASTMASTERTOAD

Smash Cadet
NNID
BEASTMASTERTOAD
.I could type more but the point is that battle arenas have their own issues and aren't exactly a good for fun/for glory replacement either.
Unless you actually enjoyed 2-stock matches on FD all day everyday, I can’t understand having the position that Ultimate isn’t a good replacement for For Glory by default. And it beats For Fun by a country mile as well, since you have some say in the levels that are selected as well as whether or not items appear (plus you can have custom levels).

But, I think we will just have to agree to disagree. I have had a great experience overall with BAs, whereas it’s clear that some of you have not (or haven’t really given it a fair chance).

I am really wondering why do these guys play?
Either children that don’t know any better or trolls (especially if they pick lag-friendly characters like Ganondorf).

Last edited:

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Unless you actually enjoyed 2-stock matches on FD all day everyday, I can’t understand having the position that Ultimate isn’t a good replacement for For Glory by default. And it beats For Fun by a country mile as well, since you have some say in the levels that are selected as well as whether or not items appear (plus you can have custom levels).
For Fun was just for fun, so no one cared much that you couldn't turn off items.

I doubt anyone would say they enjoy the limited options more in smash 4 especially with having only 2 stocks but at least they knew what they were getting into, unlike quickplay which is inconsistent the majority of the time. And your "limited options" complaint is easily solveable by adding in options on for glory.

Battle arenas are great when you get the rules you want but it's not a guarantee that you get all requested rules either. And even then you would have to hope that the host stays for as long as you like, they allow you time to pick your character and stage, they allow you time to get into spectator mode if you are not playing and you have to hope you don't get a communication error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom