• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is online in this game so bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightningHelix

Smash Cadet
I think it's truly extreme hyperbole to say that not wanting to rematch is "cancerous." Outside of a complete misuse of the word, it's really not a big deal.

Even if GSP didn't exist, rematch rates would likely be the same. Some people just don't want to play someone twice in a row.

I don't think your Battle Tag arguments hold any merit what-so-ever, by the way. There is no real incentive to collect them.
Its not just some people, though. Rematch rates are probably somewhere around 20%. Having played sm4sh on for glory the rematch rate wasn't nearly that bad. And of course the battle tag argument has merit "look how many people I beat!" It holds as much actual value as being in elite smash, but people seem to want to prove something.

Cancerous applies more to people making matches of 1 stock and trying to get a quick victory rather than have a few stocks and enjoy a game. Not wanting rematches is fine, but it seems to be the norm to want a quick win and bail on quickplay.

The point is that GSP and battle tags encourage this behavior.

Last edited:

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
the only thing i hate about online is how much it punishes you if you lose a match..like for real?! it doesn't matter if you had a winning streak or not it will punish you just as much with the amount of GSP you loss >.> and what i experiences multiple times is if i win a match i don't get GSP like wtf? i won! i want my damn GSP! >:l

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
I've noticed if someone drops or rage quits then no one's GSP changes up or down...
so the reason i don't get my GSP in certain matches is cause some idiot couldn't handle the lose? >:l

then during a match when someone gets defeated and the match all of a sudden gets real laggy for a moment even though the whole match was not laggy at all..means this person probably decided to rage quit? cause i seen this happening at times and i couldn't figure out what the reason of this was....

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Yep pretty much. Strangely enough the last time this happened we all got disconnected but the match kept playing with cpus lol! My Ike still won haha. I was like wait I didn't jump just now wtf? Then I just put the controller down and sure enough Ike was still moving... Crazy times.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I've noticed if someone drops or rage quits then no one's GSP changes up or down...
Yup. I beat this Lucina and he disconnected right when he died. I got no GSP boost. Kind of pathetic. People care way too much about GSP. I try to rematch players who are pretty much even with me a lot but they always leave if they win the first match because they know there’s a chance they’ll lose in the second one. It sucks.

Last edited:

LightningHelix

Smash Cadet
Yup. I beat this Lucina and he disconnected right when he died. I got no GSP boost. Kind of pathetic. People care way too much about GSP. I try to rematch players who are pretty much even with me a lot but they always leave if they win the first match because they know there’s a chance they’ll lose in the second one. It sucks.
Yeah this is exactly what I'm talking about. I do think GSP is overrated, but it detracts from people actually having fun online. Things like GSP should not be collected from Quickplay, where its supposed to be casual.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Yeah this is exactly what I'm talking about. I do think GSP is overrated, but it detracts from people actually having fun online. Things like GSP should not be collected from Quickplay, where its supposed to be casual.
What’s even worse is some of these people will actually rematch if they lose, but then if they win the second one they’ll leave immediately. Like I had the decency to give you a second chance, you won’t return the favor and make it at least a best two out of three? I thought ranking system would be helpful because you’d find partners who are even with your skill level, but it seems all people want to fight are people who are worse than them. I mean I don’t care about GSP, but it does rub me the wrong way if I get dropped to like 300k just because I kept rematching a better player than me. I just wanted to learn and get better at the game. I’m probably gonna stick with battle arenas and try anthers ladder.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
That's due to wired connections being immune to the interference that plagues wifi. Wifi is hampered by every appliance, every electronic device. If someone starts up the dishwasher, wifi will suffer because of it.
I guess the issue some may have with that is that wired kinda defeats the purpose of being able to play anywhere in your house with the Switch.

Ξ◆ZENSHI◆Ξ

Smash Rookie
NNID
Johnnycay
Switch FC
4328-9272-3612
Consistent mood when playing online:

It's so aggravating that Smash Ultimates online mode is even worse than Smash 4's online experience, not to mention the fact that we have to play to even have access to this steaming pile of garbage.

If they're gonna make us pay for online functionality, at least make the experience worth paying for.

Last edited:

Mecakoto

Smash Journeyman
I have thoroughly enjoyed the Online experience presented in Smash Bros Ultimate. My only complaint is in regards to extremely minor bugs, such as character color choice sometimes being replaced with a default color. Everything else is straightforward and satisfactory.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Consistent mood when playing online:

It's so aggravating that Smash Ultimates online mode is even worse than Smash 4's online experience, not to mention the fact that we have to play to even have access to this steaming pile of garbage.

If they're gonna make us pay for online functionality, at least make the experience worth paying for.
Switch Online is not exclusive to Smash, you know. The state of one game's online has little bearing on that of the service as a whole.

Basically, if you want Ultimate's online to improve, maybe leave the paid service out of your complaints because that's barking up the wrong tree.

Last edited:

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
Switch Online is not exclusive to Smash, you know. The state of one game's online has little bearing on that of the service as a whole.

Basically, if you want Ultimate's online to improve, maybe leave the paid service out of your complaints because that's barking up the wrong tree.
yeah, but the Switch has basically 4 relevant online games: Mario Kart 8, Splatoon 2, Smash and Mario Tennis. And the online in Mario Tennis and Smash has bad quality.

Ξ◆ZENSHI◆Ξ

Smash Rookie
NNID
Johnnycay
Switch FC
4328-9272-3612

Thank you captain obvious.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
GSP was a mistake. I agree that it encourages people to avoid rematches with players who beat them. GSP becomes the focus instead of improving or having fun. People don’t wanna risk dropping their numbers, especially if they’re in elite smash, which IMO was also a mistake. Get rid of GSP and elite and just give us for glory 2.0 because nothing sucks more than getting kicked out of elite because some douche has items on.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
GSP was a mistake. I agree that it encourages people to avoid rematches with players who beat them. GSP becomes the focus instead of improving or having fun. People don’t wanna risk dropping their numbers, especially if they’re in elite smash, which IMO was also a mistake. Get rid of GSP and elite and just give us for glory 2.0 because nothing sucks more than getting kicked out of elite because some douche has items on.
This seems a bit contradictory... on one hand you seem upset that people are worrying too much about their GSP and should just focus on having fun/improving, then you turn around and complain about losing some of it to items?

Arenas, man. GSP free and let you play just like you always did in For Glory, with the right setup.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
No, I said it sucks when you get into elite smash after working hard to unlock it and then losing it to someone playing with non-competitive rules.

And arena doesn’t prioritize good connection like quickplay does AFAIK.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
This seems a bit contradictory... on one hand you seem upset that people are worrying too much about their GSP and should just focus on having fun/improving, then you turn around and complain about losing some of it to items?

Arenas, man. GSP free and let you play just like you always did in For Glory, with the right setup.
Arenas are slow.

Krimnorr

Smash Cadet
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but when rematching an opponent more than once or twice, the GSP score after seems to only move a very small amount per round. This furthers the want for players to not rematch, so that they can get more GSP quicker.

As many have said, the whole GSP system just seems to encourage weird mentalities so that it increases, but not necessarily the skill of the player.

D

Deleted member

Arenas are slow.
This is true, but I may start trying to just play arenas for a while and see how it compares to quickplay, which isn't very good imo.

I rarely get matches with my online preferences which really shouldn't be that hard because it's basically For Glory Team Battle preferences, which was not an unpopular mode in Smash 4. Unless everyone, in the transition to Smash 4 to Ultimate decided they don't like team battles anymore?

I also agree with many of the other problems with online. Why can't battle arenas be co-op with a second local player? Or why can't you just queue up with a friend online in quickplay (this isn't possible, right?)? Also, the inability to change characters without leaving your party is dumb, and the emphasis on GSP in quickplay has, I think, lead to problems. Also, since I used to usually play FG Team Battles, it was nice because the teams would sometimes shift. So if there was one person in the group who was really much better than the other 3, sometimes you might be against them or you might be on their team, so the wins/losses tended to be a little more even. But if you choose to "rematch" a team battle in Ultimate, the teams NEVER change. Nice if your team is good, but if not then it gets really aggravating. Also, a side effect of this I've noticed is that if a player leaves after a team battle and the next match is a 3 player FFA, it usually just results in the previous team members joining up again anyway against the other remaining player--because again, the teams never change. I hate FFAs anyway for how unbalanced they are, and I hate how often the game puts me in them.

So anyway.......might try arenas for a bit to see if my experience is overall more positive.

EDIT: I am reminded that part of my problem is that most competitively good players prefer 1v1....and since I'm not that bad (I have several characters in Elite Smash), I'm probably trying to queue with people that only want 1v1 stock or whatnot. And all I can say is, it's still super annoying and frustrating.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Let’s also not forget that the inability to switch characters between matches discourages rematches as well, especially if it’s a bad matchup. Why rematch that annoying Belmont player who just bodied you if you can’t switch off Ike? You would feel like you’re just flushing GSP away.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Let’s also not forget that the inability to switch characters between matches discourages rematches as well, especially if it’s a bad matchup. Why rematch that annoying Belmont player who just bodied you if you can’t switch off Ike? You would feel like you’re just flushing GSP away.
Only for Ike though. Switching to a counterpick isn't going to fix the former's GSP, and it takes a lot to severely impact your roster GSP.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but when rematching an opponent more than once or twice, the GSP score after seems to only move a very small amount per round. This furthers the want for players to not rematch, so that they can get more GSP quicker.

As many have said, the whole GSP system just seems to encourage weird mentalities so that it increases, but not necessarily the skill of the player.
Most competitive games with rankings that I've played don't allow rematches, period. ARMS is one of the exceptions, but that's because I feel it encourages counterpicking with all the customization offered (and the fact that the characters usually don't control too differently).

This is true, but I may start trying to just play arenas for a while and see how it compares to quickplay, which isn't very good imo.

I rarely get matches with my online preferences which really shouldn't be that hard because it's basically For Glory Team Battle preferences, which was not an unpopular mode in Smash 4. Unless everyone, in the transition to Smash 4 to Ultimate decided they don't like team battles anymore?

I also agree with many of the other problems with online. Why can't battle arenas be co-op with a second local player? Or why can't you just queue up with a friend online in quickplay (this isn't possible, right?)? Also, the inability to change characters without leaving your party is dumb, and the emphasis on GSP in quickplay has, I think, lead to problems. Also, since I used to usually play FG Team Battles, it was nice because the teams would sometimes shift. So if there was one person in the group who was really much better than the other 3, sometimes you might be against them or you might be on their team, so the wins/losses tended to be a little more even. But if you choose to "rematch" a team battle in Ultimate, the teams NEVER change. Nice if your team is good, but if not then it gets really aggravating. Also, a side effect of this I've noticed is that if a player leaves after a team battle and the next match is a 3 player FFA, it usually just results in the previous team members joining up again anyway against the other remaining player--because again, the teams never change. I hate FFAs anyway for how unbalanced they are, and I hate how often the game puts me in them.

So anyway.......might try arenas for a bit to see if my experience is overall more positive.

EDIT: I am reminded that part of my problem is that most competitively good players prefer 1v1....and since I'm not that bad (I have several characters in Elite Smash), I'm probably trying to queue with people that only want 1v1 stock or whatnot. And all I can say is, it's still super annoying and frustrating.
Hot take: team battles in general only saw a decent amount of play in 4 due to nothing at all being at stake (as well as being time only so no risk of a 2v1). Competitive players have little incentive to bother with them because they default to Team Attack Off, which is not how competitive doubles are played. And allowing that online would only open a huge can of worms with griefers and team-killers and forever trying to discern accidents from malicious intent.

In arenas you can set Team Attack on, the host can be the judge and kick problematic players if they appear, and you can change teams as much as you want before a match starts.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman

I hate the fact that arenas are basically the For Glory matches that I could play easily on the WiiU game with the problem that I need to look for players to play with me. Doing an arena, or finding a good arena with the ruleset I expect. And in that case its worse because people dont configure it properly, so I need to constantly look for players - that should be a problem for the game to solve -, wait on lines when I find a good arena, keep playing with the same player to not lose an good arena, or create an arena and wait for someone to join, and sometimes no one joins my arenas. All these would be fix with a For Glory Default button on the menu - that could even include people from Quickplay with similar preffered rules, since it would be just a default ruleset.

There are many ways to solve many of the problems of the game. If we cant save the game from the lag because its P2P and the damage is already done because of that, they could at least make the interface better. All these problems are interface problems. Basic thing that are ruining my will to even open the game when I remember I may have a bad time finding games.

Last edited:

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Only for Ike though. Switching to a counterpick isn't going to fix the former's GSP, and it takes a lot to severely impact your roster GSP.
While that's true, my point was that people are less likely to rematch because they cant switch off a bad matchup.

Mental Surge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GisR FTG
3DS FC
4098-5877-7114
Know what I ****ing hate? Leaving a game only to re queue and get the same opponent. Because that's what I wanted, right Nintendo?

InfiniteRE

Smash Cadet
Online quickplay is kind of a joke and needs an overhaul. Finding a few friends online and getting a battle arena together is a better experience both causally and competitively. I take my GSP with a grain of salt, I'd like to be in Elite smash but I'm not too interested in the process to get there. I've learned way more doing arena battles.

MetaGiga

Smash Apprentice
First time I’m in, I thought that I was going to be set up for a free-for-all for fun. I ended up in a one-sided team battle with a teammate equally as confused as I was. We ended up trying to attack each other before we realized what was going on. The other team was stupidly good, knew what was going on, and we were completely sacked.

There weren’t any players switching to other teams. It was the same duo together beating us up. I was upset that teams couldn’t switch around anymore and the fact that it was pretty much the same outcome every time. My partner was also a bit new, because he had accidentally run himself off the stage a few times and didn’t really think things through.

Needless to say, I’m not a fan of the new Online mode. It’s like everything is For Glory and the players that are there to do competitive Smash are matched up with ones that aren’t ready for competitive Smash. Even when I set my own rules, I end up with some weird rules I didn’t set.

I’m really tempted to redownload Sm4sh on my 3DS and just do WiFi on that. I can at least taunt a few times. :”( Hopefully Nintendo makes a few changes to it.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Wait are people still playing Smash 4? I figured the online match making server would be offline by now... I honestly never even thought to try. God if I can still play For Glory I may just go back to that lol

MetaGiga

Smash Apprentice
Wait are people still playing Smash 4? I figured the online match making server would be offline by now... I honestly never even thought to try. God if I can still play For Glory I may just go back to that lol
Well, I haven’t been on 4 in a while. I’ll have to check it out to make sure. But I’d be all over it if I don’t have to be forced to be 100% competitive and be expecting weird rules.

Krimnorr

Smash Cadet
It may take awhile to find a game on 4 though. It'd surprise me if a healthy amount of people still play it.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Well, I haven’t been on 4 in a while. I’ll have to check it out to make sure. But I’d be all over it if I don’t have to be forced to be 100% competitive and be expecting weird rules.
If you don't mind check it out and let us know. I'd check myself but I'm in the process of moving and it'll be awhile before I can get to my WiiU...

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
I don't understand how people tell me things like "Ever since the update, I haven't received any rules that are not what I selected"
And here I am trying to grind my Wolf's GSP and run into:
3 Stock - 3 Minutes Bowser in Find Mii
1 Stock - 3 Minutes Meta Knigt in Pac-Land
2 Stock - 4 Minutes Falco in Coliseum
All back to back...
I hate myself.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I don't understand how people tell me things like "Ever since the update, I haven't received any rules that are not what I selected"
All back to back...
I hate myself.
I've blocked people with those kinds of settings because the way I see it is that they're trying to cheese their way to get really good GSP rather than actually working for it. I've come across a Bowser with 3 stock, 3 minutes. He waited on the other side of the stage and would run off anytime I got close. I ended up two stocking the guy by timing him out on purpose.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
All back to back...
I hate myself.
Before the patch, I got:
free-for-alls, team battles, full items on, all types of stages

Since the patch, I haven't gotten:
any FFA, any team battles, any matches with all items on

But I have occasionally gotten:
normal stages with hazards on or off
very rarely Smashballs on

I somewhat frequently get:
short times (3 or 4 minutes)
and even more frequently:
2 stock matches

I most of the time get:
3 stock, 5-7 minutes, no items, Battlefield or FD stages

I wish there was a little more flexibility in how they handle things (better stage options, for example), but I mostly get what I want (and I don't mind getting Battlefield and FD really, it's nice to switch between them).

I think there might be some variation depending on where you're located, since proximity is supposedly a very high priority factor in matches, since it affects lag. So it could be related to how many players live within a certain distance of you? It definitely seems like other people have more problems with this than me.

D

Deleted member

Hot take: team battles in general only saw a decent amount of play in 4 due to nothing at all being at stake (as well as being time only so no risk of a 2v1). Competitive players have little incentive to bother with them because they default to Team Attack Off, which is not how competitive doubles are played. And allowing that online would only open a huge can of worms with griefers and team-killers and forever trying to discern accidents from malicious intent.

In arenas you can set Team Attack on, the host can be the judge and kick problematic players if they appear, and you can change teams as much as you want before a match starts.
I don't think you can confidently say why so many people played For Glory team battles in Smash 4, but I played them because IMO they are the perfect middle ground between competitive tryhards and chaos. I also think team attack is dumb, and yes, team battles make much more sense as time battles so you don't run into 2v1. Unfortunately, trying to replicate For Glory team battles in Ultimate via Quickplay has been, in my experience for the past month now, almost entirely fruitless. And since that's what I enjoyed out of Smash online previously, I've basically decided to give up on Quickplay. Owing to this, and contrary to my previous expectations before the game launched, I now doubt I will play Smash Ultimate even close to as much as I did Smash 4. I may try Arena Battles every now and then but they're much harder to jump in and out of so the incentive to just play a few quick matches of Smash has been, for me, completely ruined. I'm so g**d***n sick of Quickplay shenanigans and not getting matches that align with my battle preferences. What a complete joke.

Know what I ****ing hate? Leaving a game only to re queue and get the same opponent. Because that's what I wanted, right Nintendo?
YES. SO MUCH THIS. What the hell is wrong with the online in this game I swear to Tabuu.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Can we please have a forfeit button? If I need to leave, or want out of a laggy match, I cant turn off the console or SD without risking a ban.

I'd gladly take a hit to my GSP as a trade-off for leaving a match early.

Last edited:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
I love when salty people disconnect mid-match and prevent me from gaining GSP. Seriously what's up with that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom