• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is online in this game so bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadji100

Smash Cadet
So lets do a little comparison between Smash 4 Online and Ultimate Online

In Smash 4, playing with randoms, we got...
- 4 Player FFA Point Matches with Items on a random Stage where you got banned for focusing on a single enemy ("For fun")
- 2 Player 1 on 1 on FD only ("For Glory")
- Lags in almost every Match, 1 on 1 beeing barely acceptable and 4 Players FFA beeing unplayable most of the time (from my own experience at least, yours might be different)
- The Tournament Mode nobody ever used

In Smash Ultimate, playing with randoms, we got...
- The option to set our own rules (Points, Stock, Stamina, Number of players, Items, Which items, FD/BF/Random Stage...)
- ~90% of my Matches had a very good connection, playing with somebody from germany almost felt like playing local couch multiplayer, even 4 Player FFA Matches are *good* this time around
- The option to host public lobbys with even MORE rule Settings
- A goal to reach (unlocking Elite Mode)

For me Ultimate wins.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
I just finished a multi-hour session of smash online. All 1v1s, mostly battlefield, some FD, none of them had items or stage hazards, and all were 2-3 stock battles, and only a few had lag. No waiting, either; I was getting back to back matches.

Maybe background matchmaking is just better than quickyplay somehow, or maybe I just got super lucky, but I'm not complaining.

Last edited:

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I have the opposite in regards to 2v2 vs ffa. I wanted free for all, what i got was "try to beat this Marth team with a rando who doesn't seem to know you can punch."

And the lag, oh God the lag. 60Mbps download/20Mbps upload wired connection? Doesn't matter because this quick game is hosted on a potato.
Some people want you to believe this is better.. because it's P2P! Dedicated servers would make it worse!

Belieeeve!

P2P is better! No matter the facts!

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Because it's one or the other.
It's like asking why not both freeze and boil water at the same time.

Truly there has never been a more opportune time for this gif.

Edit: Bah, it's not working. Just look up Kirby 64's Burning+Ice combo. Doesn't work well at all.

Last edited:

l1l1l1l1

Smash Rookie
Dedicated servers, plus the ability to challenge p2p, that is, self-hosted

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Some people want you to believe this is better.. because it's P2P! Dedicated servers would make it worse!

Belieeeve!

Got any facts of your own supporting dedicated servers making fighting games play better online?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Has anyone ever played the old yahoo games back in the day? Those were dedicated hosts... Absolute trash. And not even cpu intensive like today's games. Freakin battleship and junk or pool. Even card games had issues. Come to think of it I have never played an online game local host p2p or dedicated server that didn't have SOME lag issues. It's like swimming and not expecting to get wet.

D

Deleted member

Yea it's bad. But I notice, the higher my gsp gets, the better matchings I get. Lately I've had nothing but 1v1s and omega. And I've really been enjoying it.

Yea there are a few spammy yls and Simon's, but that's really anywhere tbh...

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
Because it's one or the other.
It's like asking why not both freeze and boil water at the same time.
Left 4 Dead 2 was released with dedicated servers and with possibility for people to be hosts too. So, it's not a real impediment. They just need to want to do it.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
I have a theory that in Nintendo, there's a mandatory rule that "Nothing can be perfect or too good.". Cause I really see no other explanation. They have the technology. Many of these limitations are limitations more on interface than actually some in-game mechanic.

It's a similar problem to how the Mario Kart 8 online, that you can only play with friends online if you create a tournament - THAT NOBODY JOINS - cause apparently, invite a friend to a group and search for a quickgame and put you two in the same game is much more hard to implement than a tournament system that you must wait people to join and you ends up playing only you two cause nobody enters the tournament you created. So, in the end the gameplay with friends online is pretty sad and boring. And that makes no sense to me.
Last I checked in MK8 Wii U, there is a friend's only option. Do they not have that in Deluxe?

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
Last I checked in MK8 Wii U, there is a friend's only option. Do they not have that in Deluxe?
I don't know about this "friends only" option, but if it is really "friends only", it means you and a friend will play alone, right? Same problem. I just know I tried to play with a friend some months ago and i couldn't, only in tournaments that no one joins (so it was a pretty sad game with two people), cause the game has no quickplay option for online friends. When I say play with a friend it doesnt mean I have 12 friends to make a full room, I want to play with a friend against other people.

Last edited:

CCD23

Smash Cadet
I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but is anybody else annoyed that there is basically no way to easily pick a different character without having to COMPLETELY EXIT THE ONLINE GAME MODE and then subsequently start searching for another opponent from scratch again? I mean, this game has so many characters, so the fact that the way online is designed is to force the player to use one character without exiting seems very antithetical to the fact it has so many characters.

Also, exiting and re-entering the mode and then searching for a new opponent is such a huge time sink just to change characters.

But why force a player to stick with one character against an opponent in the first place? What the hell is wrong with going back to the character select screen after every match like For Glory did? And why the hell was the Random selection spot removed for online?

I don't how many times I've had good times against an opponent and think "Man, I wish I could pick a different character and keep playing this person." But I can't. Because if I want to pick a different character, I will have to completely exit the online mode. When I go back in, I will then connect to someone else when I try to play with my counterpick. WHY? For what reason did I have to disconnect from my opponent and leave online just to change characters in the first place?

And, in 1v1 matches, making both players wait on a countdown before a rematch WHEN BOTH PEOPLE ARE READY just makes absolutely no sense to me.

I am very annoyed and disappointed how this was all set up. I would honestly take For Glory back over the way this was handled. Ultimate's online just straight up feels like a downgrade from Smash 4's online. What in the ****ing hell were they thinking?

I have other annoyances about online I could complain about, but I'll stop here for now. The lack of being able to easily change characters and keep the same opponent is definitely my #1 frustration.

(That said, I honestly don't have many issues with preferred rules matchmaking or lag [wired LAN adapter + fiber optic Internet connection helps], especially after the 1.2.0 patch. It's just that the nonsensical way characters are set up for online matches leaves a bad taste in my mouth, which is very disappointing for such an otherwise awesome game.)

Last edited:

pollo20x620x6

Smash Cadet
The annoying part is you cant just SD against someone who is laggy. You gotta let them knock you out or else the game will warn you about unsportsmanship behavior.
Im worried ill eventually be reported by one of these laggy players for stalling matches and not playing, which technically what im doing.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but is anybody else annoyed that there is basically no way to easily pick a different character without having to COMPLETELY EXIT THE ONLINE GAME MODE and then subsequently start searching for another opponent from scratch again? I mean, this game has so many characters, so the fact that the way online is designed is to force the player to use one character without exiting seems very antithetical to the fact it has so many characters.

Also, exiting and re-entering the mode and then searching for a new opponent is such a huge time sink just to change characters.

But why force a player to stick with one character against an opponent in the first place? What the hell is wrong with going back to the character select screen after every match like For Glory did? And why the hell was the Random selection spot removed for online?

I don't how many times I've had good times against an opponent and think "Man, I wish I could pick a different character and keep playing this person." But I can't. Because if I want to pick a different character, I will have to completely exit the online mode. When I go back in, I will then connect to someone else when I try to play with my counterpick. WHY? For what reason did I have to disconnect from my opponent and leave online just to change characters in the first place?

And, in 1v1 matches, making both players wait on a countdown before a rematch WHEN BOTH PEOPLE ARE READY just makes absolutely no sense to me.

I am very annoyed and disappointed how this was all set up. I would honestly take For Glory back over the way this was handled. Ultimate's online just straight up feels like a downgrade from Smash 4's online. What in the ****ing hell were they thinking?

I have other annoyances about online I could complain about, but I'll stop here for now. The lack of being able to easily change characters and keep the same opponent is definitely my #1 frustration.

(That said, I honestly don't have many issues with preferred rules matchmaking or lag [wired LAN adapter + fiber optic Internet connection helps], especially after the 1.2.0 patch. It's just that the nonsensical way characters are set up for online matches leaves a bad taste in my mouth, which is very disappointing for such an otherwise awesome game.)
For Glory didn't have any ranking, that's why. Thus the system had no reason to give a damn about who you used against which players. Here it's done to prevent to prevent players from tricking the matchmaking system by using a low GSP character before switching to their main and clobbering them. Since GSP is tracked per character, there isn't a practical purpose to counterpicking, and it's just a luck-based strategy when you can't see or guarantee what character your opponent is using.

And anyway, arenas let you basically everything you want out of online: switching characters, fighting the same opponent(s) as many times as you both are willing, even set up custom stagelists to boot. So long as you keep their maximum sizes small. And you can save rulesets offline to minimize the time it takes to create one down the road.

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
tbh, I dont really have a problem with matchmaking or anything - My main issues are with UI and how you select matches and all.

In Smash 4 the first thing that is asked is FOR FUN / FOR GLORY - which basically separates casual from advanced players. This was a good thing. As of now, we dont have an equivalent as Quickplay just mushes it all together, and tries to find partners for you on your preferred rule set.
The next question was "WITH FRIENDS / WITH STRANGERS" - which is the next most necessary question. You had other options from then and so on.

In Ultimate, things are just so.... confusing. I think Arenas are cute with friends. But again, small stupid details persist - Changing the music gets you out of line, same with changing character or stage. ....or how pressing B bring your hand to the button, and not the button to the hand.

Also, when Im searching for public arenas... wtf is the point in showing locked arenas with Passwords? You cant look at the users in the arenas, so there is no point to these being displayed.

T3RT1S

Level Up!
NNID
pokeLogZ
I don't know what people are talking about, Ive played over 300 online matches and only 2 of those matches are FFAs, I now have Elite Smash though.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I notice some lag this morning, as well as the game buffering and double inputting some of my actions, one causing me an SD. It's pretty frustrating.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
With all the 10 year olds surely getting Smash today I'm gonna stay off quickplay lest I get even MORE ffa item matches lol

Sans3546

Smash Cadet
this was originally going to be its own thread, but apparently moderators didn't see it fit as its own thread, which is understandable. how they handled the new placement of it, however, was so bad that every word of the post except the background information i provided practically lost all meaning or has one completely different. i feel like the experience i have gone through up to this point belongs better in a thread against the online service. i even included the original title in case anyone saw it before the merger.
What the hell is going on with matchmaking?

it's like there is nothing keeping the online matchmaking system in check. i know there were issues in 1.1.0 that were supposedly fixed for a lot of people, but that doesn't seem to be the case for me even in the slightest. before i go into issues i have with online, let me lay down some information.

my gsp is currently hovering around 400,000 with ness, and it's only that low because every game i have played was the result of dysfunctional matchmaking. my preferred rules are turned on, and i have them set to the following rules. the rules i have highlighted in purple are preferred rules i personally thing are extra important when it comes to the matchmaking process.
  • 1v1 match
  • stock battle
  • three lives
  • seven minutes
  • final destination
    • i would also accept battlefield
  • no items
there is one main reason why i think the matchmaking is dysfunctional. my preferred rules aren't even being accounted for. i very rarely get to play a match where all of those purple rules was competitively based settings. usually it is the first one that screws everything up. i just want to play standard competitive 1v1 and get good by experience, but when i am put into free for all matches where everyone is targeting everyone (or worse, a 1v3 situation), i never get a chance to truly test my skills. sometimes, i just get put into a timed match where one or two people camp the whole time and waits for another to be at kill percent. those aren't fun at all. i have yet to be put into a stamina match, but honestly, it's just looking to be a matter of time before i eventually see one. half the matches i get put into are matches with items on. it's just too random, and i don't see why anyone would want to play with them, but here i am being forced to do so very frequently. even if i get lucky enough with everything already mentioned, it's also only a 50% chance of seeing a final destination stage. the preferred rules of the other person usually put me on hazard forms where i have to evade something while fighting. walk offs create terrible situations of who can read the other better. god forbid i am ever put on f***ing hanenbow or 75m. i would die immediately with ness's crap recovery. rarely do i ever get preferred rules to go my way. it's less than a 10% chance that i find a good competitively viable match up, and if they leave immediately, then i'm stuck finding new opponent(s) who will likely cycle me back into crappy and unwanted battles.

people said this was fixed, yet i am not seeing any of the proclaimed fixes. it's just as bad as the 1.1.0 update.

by the way, if anyone here is about to say "Git Gud, and raise your GSP to find better matchups.", i can't because skill in the competitive scene doesn't help at all in most of the battles i am placed in. that's part of the issues i am experiencing. it's stuck in the 250k-500k range because of casual smash forcibly plaguing my online experience. trying to raise gsp is not an option.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

Belieeeve!

...P2P is better for fighting games.

Dedicated servers is adding a third party to the connection.
Most games with servers hide their lag in various ways (any racing and FPS games) or are just plain laggy to the point the server has to shut itself down.

Doing that in a fighter is plain impossible. Especially one like Smash where movement is everything. You can't see someone somewhere than all of a sudden they teleport elsewhere.

If you go online you have to expect bad connections at times. It happens.
If it is consistent, it's either you, bad luck, or your general area has poor connection.

Last edited:

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
With all the 10 year olds surely getting Smash today I'm gonna stay off quickplay lest I get even MORE ffa item matches lol

Smart call. Its not terrible, but Ive had a few matches with items today.

Playing Co-Op with my brother, you can tell when youre fighitng 10 year olds. lol people are so bad

D

Deleted member

All right guys....forget everything I said earlier about the online. My new opinion is that I don't like Smash Ultimate's online.

The main reason being, honestly, that I can't consistently play the way I want. On Wii U, I was a For Glory Team Battler. For me, free-for-alls are too chaotic and I always feel like I'm singling someone out or there ends up being a player acting as a volleyball and it's just not balanced. 1v1 I would dabble in but in general it was just way too serious and intense for me. But Team Battles are the perfect Goldilocks zone for me--competitive but not too chaotic or unbalanced, and I like the dynamic of having a teammate to assist and be assisted by.

Even after this update, I swear to Tabuu I only get team battles like 10% of the time. It's so frustrating you guys. I honestly wouldn't mind if 10% of the time I was playing 1v1 or FFA...but NOT the other way around!! I feel like it's just a waste of time. And then I did try joining a team battle arena which can work, but in general there's more waiting around and also not ideal. Smash for Wii U's online was not great, but it was good and serviceable if you didn't mind not having many options. I was really optimistic about Ultimate's online due to all the new options, but when I'm missing Wii U's online....I think something is wrong.

Another point I realized recently: the other online multiplayer games I play right now are Splatoon 2 and Paladins. I love both of those games, and the online experience is just so much more positive for me. For one, matchmaking just seems to be better all around, and they're both really fun games focused on online play. And the thing is, even when you lose a match you can still feel some pride and feel good about yourself because you're leveling up your character, or you saw that you got the most splats/kills/points in that match, and so you feel like jumping into another match and honestly I win about half of the time, give or take.
But in Smash....I feel like Sakurai is punishing me for wanting to play online (this is another can of worms entirely honestly). I can't play the type of battle I want to (team battle) even half of the time, there's no leveling up or reward or any sense of progression when you play online (except maybe the smash tags but who cares), and when you lose, you can see in real time how your GSP decreases. So losing a match not only does nothing good for you, but actively makes you feel worse. And when you start losing 5 or 10 or 15 matches in a row because it keeps putting you in 3 or 4 person free for alls or 1v1 it's even more frustrating. I'm so frustrated with it I feel like throwing in the towel. Smash 4 online was like my life--I would play online for a little bit nearly every week since the game came out, but I'm getting so frustrated with Ultimate's online that I just want to move on to other games like Splatoon 2 that don't make me want to break things. Sorry for the long rant, but had to get it out.

Last edited by a moderator:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
All right guys....forget everything I said earlier about the online. My new opinion is that I don't like Smash Ultimate's online.

The main reason being, honestly, that I can't consistently play the way I want. On Wii U, I was a For Glory Team Battler. For me, free-for-alls are too chaotic and I always feel like I'm singling someone out or there ends up being a player acting as a volleyball and it's just not balanced. 1v1 I would dabble in but in general it was just way too serious and intense for me. But Team Battles are the perfect Goldilocks zone for me--competitive but not too chaotic or unbalanced, and I like the dynamic of having a teammate to assist and be assisted by.

Even after this update, I swear to Tabuu I only get team battles like 10% of the time. It's so frustrating you guys. I honestly wouldn't mind if 10% of the time I was playing 1v1 or FFA...but NOT the other way around!! I feel like it's just a waste of time. And then I did try joining a team battle arena which can work, but in general there's more waiting around and also not ideal. Smash for Wii U's online was not great, but it was good and serviceable if you didn't mind not having many options. I was really optimistic about Ultimate's online due to all the new options, but when I'm missing Wii U's online....I think something is wrong.

Another point I realized recently: the other online multiplayer games I play right now are Splatoon 2 and Paladins. I love both of those games, and the online experience is just so much more positive for me. For one, matchmaking just seems to be better all around, and they're both really fun games focused on online play. And the thing is, even when you lose a match you can still feel some pride and feel good about yourself because you're leveling up your character, or you saw that you got the most splats/kills/points in that match, and so you feel like jumping into another match and honestly I win about half of the time, give or take.
But in Smash....I feel like Sakurai is punishing me for wanting to play online (this is another can of worms entirely honestly). I can't play the type of battle I want to (team battle) even half of the time, there's no leveling up or reward or any sense of progression when you play online (except maybe the smash tags but who cares), and when you lose, you can see in real time how your GSP decreases. So losing a match not only does nothing good for you, but actively makes you feel worse. And when you start losing 5 or 10 or 15 matches in a row because it keeps putting you in 3 or 4 person free for alls or 1v1 it's even more frustrating. I'm so frustrated with it I feel like throwing in the towel. Smash 4 online was like my life--I would play online for a little bit nearly every week since the game came out, but I'm getting so frustrated with Ultimate's online that I just want to move on to other games like Splatoon 2 that don't make me want to break things. Sorry for the long rant, but had to get it out.
This sounds more like 2v2s are just very unpopular with randoms, and as such I don't think even making dedicated matchmaking for those games would help much as you'd still be waiting a long time. Didn't you once say something to that effect about Smash 4 where you were more often than not stuck waiting in lobbies that weren't 1v1?

D

Deleted member

This sounds more like 2v2s are just very unpopular with randoms, and as such I don't think even making dedicated matchmaking for those games would help much as you'd still be waiting a long time. Didn't you once say something to that effect about Smash 4 where you were more often than not stuck waiting in lobbies that weren't 1v1?
Waiting for players in Smash 4 would sometimes happen, but mostly because people would prematurely leave the lobby before it was full or it just wasn't an active time of day. Otherwise, I had very little problems with it, and I say this having played For Glory Team Battles probably at least 90% of my 1200+ hour playtime with Smash 4. There were always people playing 2v2 For Glory, and when I had a roommate we would do team battles online together and never had a problem finding players that way either.

I get the feeling a lot of people who frequent this site are more into 1v1 (and thus the competitive scene), but I'm not interested in that, and I don't like being forced into 1v1 when it's not what I'm feeling. If I never had much of a problem finding team battles before on the Wii U, I can't imagine it should be a problem on the Switch. I wouldn't mind waiting an extra minute in Ultimate to play with others in a team battle, but more often than not, the game just starts a battle with 2 or 3 players without waiting for a full room. Although For Glory had little options and all stages were FD, I knew exactly what kind of battle I would be getting and if I wanted to do a free for all or 1v1, that would be my choice, not the game picking it for me.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
I don't know about this "friends only" option, but if it is really "friends only", it means you and a friend will play alone, right? Same problem. I just know I tried to play with a friend some months ago and i couldn't, only in tournaments that no one joins (so it was a pretty sad game with two people), cause the game has no quickplay option for online friends. When I say play with a friend it doesnt mean I have 12 friends to make a full room, I want to play with a friend against other people.
So you want you and friend vs other CPUs? They had that option in MKWii. Why would they take it out?

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
For some reason I said "other CPUs"

I meant "your friend joins a room, you join them afterwards".

Last edited:

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
...P2P is better for fighting games.
Do you know many fighting games with more than 2 players like Smash? Cause maybe it applies only for this kind of fighting games with two players.

Dedicated servers is adding a third party to the connection.
This doesnt mean anything, if a server is located between two players, the distance is shorter and the quality of the connection will be guaranteed. If not, it still can ensure a better stable connection not depending on the internet of each of the players.

Most games with servers hide their lag in various ways (any racing and FPS games) or are just plain laggy to the point the server has to shut itself down.
Better hidding than being unplayable like Smash. Smash not using any kind of strategy to deal with the lag more than "wait the response" of every player is making matches unplayable and boring.

Doing that in a fighter is plain impossible. Especially one like Smash where movement is everything. You can't see someone somewhere than all of a sudden they teleport elsewhere.
Teleport? Lagged players doesnt teleport when they are with lag. Not for the other players. Maybe he will feel he is teleporting, but for the other players he is just stopped or doing crazy things like running to walls or doing strange decisions. So, people with that problem should fix their internet until it becomes stable and then come back to play when their ping is in a good range. This lagged person loses matches is not a problem that should be shared by the people with good connections.

If you go online you have to expect bad connections at times. It happens.
If it is consistent, it's either you, bad luck, or your general area has poor connection.
It's not "me" or bad connection of my area. Only Smash has this problem. And it's not a special game enough to justify the problems. This is a game where the maximum number of players is 4. There are games out there with 2, 4, 8, 32, 64, even 100 players fighting in shooters, that requires as much precision as Smash, that only needs to connect 4 players. With all the other server based games in the world running properly and only Smash recently using P2P system being so bad because it totally depends on the connections between all the players in the matches and everything else we dont know that nintendo puts on the way, you can't blame the players.

Also, a game can have dedicated servers and P2P at the same time. The Left 4 Dead series, people could create dedicated servers (in the first years of the release of the game, and the sequel) or be a local host. This means that all complains about "p2p is better for fighting games" goes to the hole because it's used in comparison with other fighting games that has only 1v1 matches and they could do p2p for for-glory matches and dedicated servers for matches with 3 or more players to ensure a stable connection in all ways of play. So, if Nintendo wanted their main multiplayer games the Switch will ever have to run properly, they would invest on something like this.

Last edited:

Tubby_Squirrel

Cheerful, fat rodent
Switch FC
3618-6481-0607
When its 1v1 its usually fine for me, only getting lag spikes on 3+

My specs are No lan adapter, 30mbs/s cable internet with Spectrum. I use my local WiFi to connect. IDK if that helps but with those specs the lag spikes are very rare in 1v1's and I have not noticed any input lag.

Last edited:

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
When its 1v1 its usually fine for me, only getting lag spikes on 3+

My specs are No lan adapter, 30mbs/s cable internet with Spectrum. I use my local WiFi to connect. IDK if that helps but with those specs the lag spikes are very rare in 1v1's and I have not noticed any input lag.
I bought a uGreen lan adapter. My Switch is already at the SIDE of my router at the side of my TV. I have more stable matches with the wireless connection, for some reason. I need to do more tests, cause maybe it was just bad luck with these matches, but for now I think it had not helped me in any thing.

D

Deleted member

I remember doing tests once between ethernet and wireless on my laptop, and the difference was huge. I always use the ethernet adapter to play Smash online, but that doesn't eliminate lag. When there is lag, I have to assume someone else brought it with them or one of the players is really far away, because I also can have perfectly fine matches with no lag.

That being said, I have encountered some annoying connection errors in Smash Ultimate. Just yesterday, I got a connection error in the lobby and it was stuck on "Get Ready" with no players visible in the lobby, including myself. Had to close and reopen the game. Also the other day I had a couple connection errors and then it resulted in me being banned from online for 30 minutes even though it wasn't my fault, so that was nice. And I just feel like I'm getting more connection errors that will end a match or whatnot than I did in Smash for Wii U (percentage-wise). Sigh.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I remember doing tests once between ethernet and wireless on my laptop, and the difference was huge. I always use the ethernet adapter to play Smash online, but that doesn't eliminate lag. When there is lag, I have to assume someone else brought it with them or one of the players is really far away, because I also can have perfectly fine matches with no lag.

That being said, I have encountered some annoying connection errors in Smash Ultimate. Just yesterday, I got a connection error in the lobby and it was stuck on "Get Ready" with no players visible in the lobby, including myself. Had to close and reopen the game. Also the other day I had a couple connection errors and then it resulted in me being banned from online for 30 minutes even though it wasn't my fault, so that was nice. And I just feel like I'm getting more connection errors that will end a match or whatnot than I did in Smash for Wii U (percentage-wise). Sigh.
I notice these kinds of errors in Splatoon 2 happen more during Splatfests, where the playerbase is more focused and active. Maybe it's still a little too early for the Christmas wave of players to subside yet.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
I hate how harsh it is if you lose. Your GSP go down so much and I hate how it works like that.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I hate how harsh it is if you lose. Your GSP go down so much and I hate how it works like that.
Eh, don't worry about it.
GSP is easy come easy go.
For example, I went all the way down from 2 mil to 500k trying Cloud for the first time and by the next hour I was at 1.9 mil.

LightningHelix

Smash Cadet
Yes another rant thread about the online system.

But this is another angle that may not have been mentioned before (or maybe it has who knows.) but its setting a trend on quickplay that makes me forget about playing quickplay all together.

Even in the closest games against anyone, almost noone ever rematches. Why should they? If its a close game, they don't want to risk their GSP in the next match and will look for easier prey so they can get to the all glorious "Elite smash", without risking GSP. As soon as they win, they get your battle tag and leave. Then instead of having good close matches, you get paired with complete new players or worse, in some sort of weird multi player/with items/stamina battle.

The GSP and battle tag system incentivize cancerous behaviors like this. I've been seeing a trend of people popping in quickplay with 1 stock matches and play some glass cannon like Little Mac, to try to get a quick kill or die fast just to quit and move to the next opponent. It makes online atrocious to play.

Battle tags and GSP were a mistake to have in quickplay, they should've made a competitive mode or something where that stuff matters, that has consistent rules.

I know we have battle arenas, but its easier to jump into quickplay for matches, but if this keeps up I don't think quickplay is really an option. It's a shame they use it as entrance to elite smash, where apparently all the data used for balancing is.

Has anyone else noticed this trend?

R208

Smash Cadet
I think it's truly extreme hyperbole to say that not wanting to rematch is "cancerous." Outside of a complete misuse of the word, it's really not a big deal.

Even if GSP didn't exist, rematch rates would likely be the same. Some people just don't want to play someone twice in a row.

I don't think your Battle Tag arguments hold any merit what-so-ever, by the way. There is no real incentive to collect them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom