• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is online in this game so bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urbaninja9

Smash Rookie
Does no one understand you can join or make a 1v1 arena and play nonstop 1v1s?

Or get ethernet, set your settings to 3 stock 7 mins. This is what i did i got 1v1s 23 out of 25 times.

Once you get a good global smash you should get more 1v1s.

Urbaninja9

Smash Rookie
Double post
This is what we need: problem solving and seeing what you can do with what the game offers, not immediate finger-pointing at Nintendo for an initial bad experience. That way we can narrow down the issues that really do need fixing on their part.

When I get the game I'll be thinking of posting a PSA thread on how to get the most out of Ultimate's online, assuming no one beats me to it in the meantime...

This is what I do it works perfect. I thought this was world wide standard competitive rules since melee? Lol

coolarj10

Smash Apprentice
NNID
coolarj10
3DS FC
1736-2533-1640
Hi all, I've been playing smash online exclusively in hand-held mode on the switch and have been experiencing little to no lag in most of my games. It's been quite smooth gameplay for me since launch day (occasionally a laggy game will occur and I just won't rematch that player).

Today, I decided to put my switch in my docking station and the lag is DRAMATIC. Completely unplayable. I undocked my switch and immediately the lag disappeared. I tried crouching down and playing while holding my hand-held switch exactly where the dock is, in case there's interference in that area, but there's no lag in hand-held mode!

I have a second dock in a different location. The lag isn't as bad on that one when docked, but it's still there.

I'm still doing tests to see narrow it down, but wanted to ask: are any of you experiencing that the online play has significantly more lag when the Nintendo Switch is docked (without a LAN adapter).

Last edited:

Charu

Smash Cadet
Well... I played some last night before going to bed after the patch and it certainly does try now to match the mode I'm asking for instead of throwing me into a random FFA. I did get paired up with one or two of 'em still though, but maybe that's just due to my preferred rules at the time being set to Team since I was in the mood for some good ol', team attack off, shenanigans.

Gallerian

Smash Apprentice
Got to play some Online post-patch. While not perfect, it's a massive twenty steps up from the complete dumpster fire that was pre-patch Online. Almost all of the matches I played were under my preferred ruleset, with some minor variations here and there. (Mainly time being shorter or longer, or having 2-stock instead of 3-stock.) I'm actually able to thoroughly enjoy the online now.

Today, I decided to put my switch in my docking station and the lag is DRAMATIC. Completely unplayable. I undocked my switch and immediately the lag disappeared. I tried crouching down and playing while holding my hand-held switch exactly where the dock is, in case there's interference in that area, but there's no lag in hand-held mode!

I have a second dock in a different location. The lag isn't as bad on that one when docked, but it's still there.

I'm still doing tests to see narrow it down, but wanted to ask: are any of you experiencing that the online play has significantly more lag when the Nintendo Switch is docked (without a LAN adapter).
So, I tested this out on my friend's Switch. While docked, I did have a couple of matches that felt slightly more laggy, with one of them being real noticeable. Though, it was pretty much one nearly unplayable match out of the few laggy matches I actually had. Undocked, I had smoother matches. Though, not sure if it was just coincidental or not.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
I am here to say I've NEVER played a single free for all match I didn't want to play in online. Not even once. Idk...maybe I'm lucky.

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
I'm more concerned with the awful connection quality and frequent network outages. Barely any quickplay matches are playable.

CadenLisa

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
7824-6659-5288
I'm more concerned with the awful connection quality and frequent network outages. Barely any quickplay matches are playable.
That's not really the case for me, The set up isn't to bad now too that I can actually find matches, It's never really been more laggy that a bit of input delay from now and then

you should probably get lan bro

Yoshi_smash

Smash Apprentice
Does no one understand you can join or make a 1v1 arena and play nonstop 1v1s?
Battles in arenas do not affect one's GSP.

So the 1.2.0 patch fixed some of the online problems? If one sets their preferred rules to 1 vs. 1 with no items, what are the chances one will actually get that match (after the 1.2.0 patch?) Did the 1.2.0 patch make the "preferred rules" matchmaking system less chaotic?

Last edited:

Gallerian

Smash Apprentice
Battles in arenas do not affect one's GSP.

So the 1.2.0 patch fixed some of the online problems? If one sets their preferred rules to 1 vs. 1 with no items, what are the chances the will actually get that match (after the 1.2.0 patch?)
As someone who played post-patch, I was actually able to play plenty of matches that were my rules, or very close to what I set my rules at.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
If we're talking prior to the patch versus after the patch, there were a ton of improvements to the way online matchmaking works, but the system is still only 95% trustworthy in my experience.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Spam
Perhaps it was best for everyone to listen when I told yiu not to pay for online. Because I knew Nintendo would make it somehow worse than smash 4

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Perhaps it was best for everyone to listen when I told yiu not to pay for online. Because I knew Nintendo would make it somehow worse than smash 4
Uhhhhhhh you are not the only person who was skeptical of the online service, ya know.

I'm pretty sure everyone was trepidacious about it.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Maybe, but not enough for you to get to be the "I told you so" guy.
He didn't even tell us anything. Sure he literally did, but he didn't in any way back up his points or try to defend his views. All he ever did was simply restate and slightly reword the same question "You think online will improve?" over and over again despite being disproven every time. The troll may have been right, but there was no way anyone could tell that would end up being the case based on his spam threads.

He defiantly doesn't deserve to be the "I told you so." guy even if he was the only person on the planet preaching those views.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
He didn't even tell us anything. Sure he literally did, but he didn't in any way back up his points or try to defend his views. All he ever did was simply restate and slightly reword the same question "You think online will improve?" over and over again despite being disproven every time. The troll may have been right, but there was no way anyone could tell that would end up being the case based on his spam threads.

He defiantly doesn't deserve to be the "I told you so." guy even if he was the only person on the planet preaching those views.
Plus the Ultimate online literally improved just last week, so he's technically wrong too.

Tommo2304

Smash Rookie
I've had nothing but 1v1s, generally 2/3 stocks and 6-7 minutes by using background matchmaking, it's been fantastic. Made such a difference.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
The online improved a little but it's still missing features that Smash Wii U had. Such as no taunting in randoms, being unable to add CPU's to friend matches and team battle seekers don't often get the type of match they like

You know Nintendo's online is a joke when this happens too.
I think the real joke here is how you keep pretending that the lack of taunting is a big deal and that not being able to add CPUs to an online match is now a real problem, when the point of online battles is to play with actual people.
Literally finding any minor gripe or non issue to complain about and then insulting our intelligence by calling it "constructive criticism". Don't your fingers get numb from constantly scratching the bottom of that barrel?

Last edited:

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
I think the real joke here is how you keep pretending that the lack of taunting is a big deal and that not being able to add CPUs to an online match is now a real problem, when the point of online battles is to play with actual people.
Literally finding any minor gripe or non issue to complain about and then insulting our intelligence by calling it "constructive criticism". Don't your fingers get numb from constantly scratching the bottom of that barrel?
What about people who want to play with CPU's AND FRIENDS?

7 years ago I was into Mario Kart Wii a lot and found it to be a great multiplayer experience. Then I tried to play with a friend online in a friend room and I wanted to add in CPUs to fill up the number of racers. I couldn't find the option and seriously found MKWii online trash solely because of this.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77280342

No taunting is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen in Smash Bros. I seriously find the online a joke if Sakurai wants us to play the game his way instead of letting us do what we want. We saw his attempt at that previously with Brawl, and we know how that turned out. In addition, this is like when they took out VS mode in Mario Kart 7 because the developers wanted people to play online.

Last edited:

Pyr

Smash Lord
What about people who want to play with CPU's AND FRIENDS?

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77280342

No taunting is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen in Smash Bros.
It's on the same level as spending hours upon hours focusing on hate and vitriol for a video game over some objectively minor issues, in my opinion. If I were to quantify it on a semi-physical level, I'd say... Around "100 old-school forum hate and salt-filled posts in 2 weeks"-level dumb. Not, like, high-quality old-school posts. Just a few sentences, caps lock stuck sometimes. Low-quality thread derailments abound. Verbiage and arguments resembling the township of "Parks and Recreation" during their town hall forums in the earlier seasons.

Ya know. That level of dumb.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Lol alright now settle down boys.

Srsly tho crazy hand you're preaching to the choir, it's not like we somehow don't know what to think about all this.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Well this game has made one questionable decision after another. It took out palette swaps I liked (such as black Yoshi), ****ed up online hard, made it tedious and time consuming to unlock characters and other things.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
No taunting is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen in Smash Bros. I seriously find the online a joke if Sakurai wants us to play the game his way instead of letting us do what we want. We saw his attempt at that previously with Brawl, and we know how that turned out. In addition, this is like when they took out VS mode in Mario Kart 7 because the developers wanted people to play online.
Then you simply haven't lived long enough. You are not jaded, just clueless. Give it time. There are things objectively worse than that.
Gamefaqs isn't exactly a good source to keep citing. The total population of the users there is less than 10% or 5% of the total of the consumer base who buys and plays Smash. And there will always be a topic of someone nitpicking about minor gripes, because this is what most of these "issues" are: petty nitpicking.

Well this game has made one questionable decision after another. It took out palette swaps I liked (such as black Yoshi), ****ed up online hard, made it tedious and time consuming to unlock characters and other things.
Well, then I'm sure that the world would turn upside down because of no black Yoshi. Considering that your default reaction to everything is hot-headed outrage, then I assume that counterbalance is a foreign concept to you.

And I provide a friendly reminder that you advocated for harder and more tedious unlock methods. You keep expressing incompatible views that conflict with some of your thoughts.
Unlocking fighters is actually quite simple and more streamlined compared to previous Smash games. Prior to Ultimate, there were specific conditions you had to meet or play hundreds of versus matches to get someone. Not quite the case now. You could argue that perhaps there are way too many unlocks, but this doesn't change the fact that the issue is a temporary one that doesn't warrant the attention.
At the end of the day, every character stays unlocked permanently and you get to have the best roster in the series. Its just hilarious how someone complains about this so vehemently to the point of using it as leverage to sack the game's director.

Last edited:

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
So I guess you don't like people playing with friends the way they want, and you also don't like to show people your moves.

I can agree with not having CPU's for randoms online, but to remove them from friend matches is idiotic to the point it's worth boycotting the online service as a whole. Many people have an issue with this too and a third problem appears to be the inability to have more than one person in a single console play online in friend matches. All of these add up in a big way to make the online fail hard.

When I said "will they improve online" I DO NOT MEAN "make it terrible at first and improve it slowly". My requirement is for the game to build upon the previous title in the series and add in features that could not be done if online was still free. That's what I call justifying the price. Things such as how many characters are unlockable are minor annoyances at worst. Things such as only one person per console in friend rooms, no taunting in randoms and no CPUs in friend matches when brawl and smash 4 had these options is beyond unbelievable.

https://en-americas-support.nintend...super-smash-bros-ultimate-online-brawl-arenas

Last edited:

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
So I guess you don't like people playing with friends the way they want, and you also don't like to show people your moves.

I can agree with not having CPU's for randoms online, but to remove them from friend matches is idiotic to the point it's worth boycotting the online service as a whole. Many people have an issue with this too and a third problem appears to be the inability to have more than one person in a single console play online in friend matches. All of these add up in a big way to make the online fail hard.

When I said "will they improve online" I DO NOT MEAN "make it terrible at first and improve it slowly". My requirement is for the game to build upon the previous title in the series and add in features that could not be done if online was still free. That's what I call justifying the price. Things such as how many characters are unlockable are minor annoyances at worst. Things such as only one person per console in friend rooms, no taunting in randoms and no CPUs in friend matches when brawl and smash 4 had these options is beyond unbelievable.

https://en-americas-support.nintend...super-smash-bros-ultimate-online-brawl-arenas
I have a theory that in Nintendo, there's a mandatory rule that "Nothing can be perfect or too good.". Cause I really see no other explanation. They have the technology. Many of these limitations are limitations more on interface than actually some in-game mechanic.

It's a similar problem to how the Mario Kart 8 online, that you can only play with friends online if you create a tournament - THAT NOBODY JOINS - cause apparently, invite a friend to a group and search for a quickgame and put you two in the same game is much more hard to implement than a tournament system that you must wait people to join and you ends up playing only you two cause nobody enters the tournament you created. So, in the end the gameplay with friends online is pretty sad and boring. And that makes no sense to me.

Last edited:

pikascrub

Smash Rookie
so is there any way to get some fun random 2v2s online? i set my preferred rules to 2v2 team and did some quickplays. in 2 hours i didn't get a single 2v2 or 4 player smash. all i got was incredibly boring 1v1 matches. i tried the battle arena thing but only saw 1v1 rooms. i was taking a break from the 1v1 world of light mode, just wanted some fun 2v2 team battles

i remember on the wii u i just when online any time day or night, clicked 2v2 team battle and had a blast for months. after i finish world of light i'll just shelve this game and go back to my pc. never been so disappointed in a new game

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
so is there any way to get some fun random 2v2s online? i set my preferred rules to 2v2 team and did some quickplays. in 2 hours i didn't get a single 2v2 or 4 player smash. all i got was incredibly boring 1v1 matches. i tried the battle arena thing but only saw 1v1 rooms. i was taking a break from the 1v1 world of light mode, just wanted some fun 2v2 team battles

i remember on the wii u i just when online any time day or night, clicked 2v2 team battle and had a blast for months. after i finish world of light i'll just shelve this game and go back to my pc. never been so disappointed in a new game
What are your rulesets? If nobody else is going teams with your rules you won't find anyone.

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
I wish I could taunt. I liked taunting. When appropriate of course. Taking that out was kinda stupid, but settling for t-bagging is...okay, I guess.

l1l1l1l1

Smash Rookie
I have the opposite in regards to 2v2 vs ffa. I wanted free for all, what i got was "try to beat this Marth team with a rando who doesn't seem to know you can punch."

And the lag, oh God the lag. 60Mbps download/20Mbps upload wired connection? Doesn't matter because this quick game is hosted on a potato.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom