• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is luigi being considered better?

fazares

Smash Apprentice
hahaha maybe three years or two seeing how eggs has suddenly quitted this fantastic board...:_

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
People are going to assume I'm being biased, but Luigi is the better character in Brawl, and there is no doubt about it. His air game is so much better than Mario's it isn't even a contest, and he CAN kill with the Up B on most characters at around 60%. A good Luigi player can find plenty of opportunities, such as powershielding nairs and jab -> UP B, the list actually goes on for quite a while. I know at the last tourny I went to I killed a MK at 45% from shielding his dash attack, its not tha hard if you're smart about it. Luigi's recovery is much better, and his gimping ability actually exists, unlike Mario. I respect Mario as a character, but IMO Luigi has so much more potential.....

fazares

Smash Apprentice
he could kill people with up-b in ssbm as well...his airs were better in that game by a larger margin(killing d-smash and f-smash), marios airs were mainly good at racking damage,his recovery was better too...but he got placed lower in the tier list....wonder why???:-)

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
Fazares...I personally believe Luigi should have been higher on the tier list in melee but anyway...Luigi is pretty much alot better in Brawl...His Fsmash kills around 100%, his upb kills around 60%, his recovery is so good, his aerials aren't as powerful but he can still gimp with Bair and probably his fair, on top of all that he has the best crawl ever and if he side Bs into a wall his head gets stuck

Mario can rack up damage and he still has trouble killing
Luigi can rack up damage and he can kill pretty easily

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Fazares...I personally believe Luigi should have been higher on the tier list in melee but anyway...Luigi is pretty much alot better in Brawl...His Fsmash kills around 100%, his upb kills around 60%, his recovery is so good, his aerials aren't as powerful but he can still gimp with Bair and probably his fair, on top of all that he has the best crawl ever and if he side Bs into a wall his head gets stuck

His green missle as you can say wall clings, but it's high unreliable as the oppenent can just wait for the animation to end and have a fully charged smash ready to **** you. Personally, his crawl isn't the best but probably near or 2nd or 3rd. I prefer Snake's crawl because you can avoid such as Falco's grounded lasers. His recovery is insane obviously due to that rising tornado thing, but it get's predictable and get gimped pretty easily if you know what your doing. I know I've been gimped millions of times by a D3 when using all my recovery options. So yeahh >.>

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
so bo X7 might be going to a turney....good luck man rep mario.......

i just got done looking at the luigi video thread omg....they've gotten amazing....no joke.....

but i dont mind.....
Sorry for double post and offtopic but, Boss, your Luigi is ****! :O Espically with that match against Korn's snake with the 3 F-airs into a Misfire was truly epic xD

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
His green missle as you can say wall clings, but it's high unreliable as the oppenent can just wait for the animation to end and have a fully charged smash ready to **** you. Personally, his crawl isn't the best but probably near or 2nd or 3rd. I prefer Snake's crawl because you can avoid such as Falco's grounded lasers. His recovery is insane obviously due to that rising tornado thing, but it get's predictable and get gimped pretty easily if you know what your doing. I know I've been gimped millions of times by a D3 when using all my recovery options. So yeahh >.>
I meant those last two as a joke

and Luigi's crawl is probably the second best in the game next to snakes considering Luigi can duck under pretty much everything

edit:...and Zamus...shut up....

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Meehh o wells, but really green missle's wall cling is so punishable for me that is. -.- His crawl is just funny sometimes, I don't see why not Mario have one anyways. Maybe the fact he's shorter then Mario?

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman

I can agree towards that note. If there is anything that makes luigi better than mario, it would have to be his ability to ko foes better than mario. as much as it contradicts factual mario reasoning in the mario world, luigi kills better than mario, although mario isn't necesarilly bad at doing so. Luigi can combo foes pretty good (not as great as mario, but still pretty darn good considering that he has more reach than mario), to the fact that his ko potential could be a threat.

However, and this is just my opinion, what makes mario more efficient in brawl over luigi is the fact that he's more suited to fight in more situations over luigi due to his versatility, since mario has more defensive options, exploits, and gimping moves, also include the fact that you can play a little bit quicker with him as well. For example, a great brawl player can really use mario's fireballs extremly effectively in a match to a point where it may become a problem to his/her opponent, as to where that same player wouldn't be able to do the same exact thing with luigi's fireballs.

I guess it's a matter of choice basically, because both character are pretty good in my opinion (although I love to use mario a whole lot more for is versatality).

If you think that the ability to combo (especially owning the air) and getting KO's easy is a factor, although owning a gimpable recovery and a lacking of defensive and versatile options suits you better, than consider luigi over mario.

If you favor being able to combo a little quicker, owning a somewhat decent (not great at all but decent) recovery, owning defensive and versatile skills with a few exclusive exploits, yet lacking in range and KO potential (again, not great, but still decent), then you probably think that mario may be better than luigi.

Lastly, and this is just from my own insight, but I think if you place the two in a bout, although it would be a close game, a mario mainer would usually come off top. Doesn't necesarily mean that mario is better than luigi in general because of that. I'm just saying that from my own experiences and watching various matches between the two, I witnessed more mario victories.

If any luigi mainer takes reads this and thinks otherwise, I'll be happy to battle you wifi so that I can possibly change my opinion. Don't take it too offensively though, I like both characters, so don't flame me..

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I guess it's a matter of choice basically, because both character are pretty good in my opinion (although I love to use mario a whole lot more for is versatality).

If you think that the ability to combo (especially owning the air) and getting KO's easy is a factor, although owning a gimpable recovery and a lacking of defensive and versatile options suits you better, than consider luigi over mario.

If you favor being able to combo a little quicker, owning a somewhat decent (not great at all but decent) recovery, owning defensive and versatile skills with a few exclusive exploits, yet lacking in range and KO potential (again, not great, but still decent), then you probably think that mario may be better than luigi.

If any luigi mainer takes reads this and thinks otherwise, I'll be happy to battle you wifi so that I can possibly change my opinion. Don't take it too offensively though, I like both characters, so don't flame me..
As a Luigi and Mario mainer, I'll be happy to flame you and battle you through wifi! *Justkidding* I use both of them but I prefer Luigi described in 3 words, unpredictable, pimpin and aerial demon nuff said lolz. Mario.. I find extremely him situational with the fludd/cape and it's fun messing up Ness/Luca's recovery with it too. To me, Mario in general has alot more options than Mr. WeeGee

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Luigi is better at straight out KOing than Mario, but I like Mario for his gimptastic abilities and juggling (For those who don't know, Up tilt is Mario's ****** move).

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
I can agree towards that note. If there is anything that makes luigi better than mario, it would have to be his ability to ko foes better than mario. as much as it contradicts factual mario reasoning in the mario world, luigi kills better than mario, although mario isn't necesarilly bad at doing so. Luigi can combo foes pretty good (not as great as mario, but still pretty darn good considering that he has more reach than mario), to the fact that his ko potential could be a threat.

However, and this is just my opinion, what makes mario more efficient in brawl over luigi is the fact that he's more suited to fight in more situations over luigi due to his versatility, since mario has more defensive options, exploits, and gimping moves, also include the fact that you can play a little bit quicker with him as well. For example, a great brawl player can really use mario's fireballs extremly effectively in a match to a point where it may become a problem to his/her opponent, as to where that same player wouldn't be able to do the same exact thing with luigi's fireballs.

Lastly, and this is just from my own insight, but I think if you place the two in a bout, although it would be a close game, a mario mainer would usually come off top. Doesn't necesarily mean that mario is better than luigi in general because of that. I'm just saying that from my own experiences and watching various matches between the two, I witnessed more mario victories.

Part of the reason why I believe in the Japan tier list overlook of things more rather than the US ones.Japan literaly hates characters that cant punish properly when in that defensive slup.Take a look at Luigi when he doesnt get a prefect block for more info :laugh: I know knockback exist,but that is really the last thing youd want happening in high level play in Luigi's case.

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
Are 70% of you idiots? LUIGI IS A BETTER CHARACTER! Don't blame the character, blame Sakurai! HE made Luigi better (in one of his interviews ,he said that Luigi had more untapped potential than Mario. No joke)

1. Luigi's tilts over shadow Mario's. Don't be idiots about it. Luigi forward tilt is IDENTICAL to Mario except he has SLIGHTLTY more range and 1%. His up tilt combo's better, his down tilt does more damage (SAME SPEED) and Luigi's can trip. Mario's down tilt sucks. It's slow and Lucas down tilt overshadows it. (better range, and you can use it multiple times)

2. Better recovery. Maro has crappy recovery. Luigi's is decent. Most Noobs/idiots use Luigi Up B right of the bat. USE THE TORNADO! Using the down B allows Luigi to fly high into the sky.

3. Priority. Mario has bad priority. Not Captain Falcon level, but still pretty bad. Luigi not only has GOOD priority, he also amazing aerial priority.

4. Aerials. Mario's are weaker, and some just suck. His Nair is weak, and needs to be sweetspot to do damage. It's comboability is decent. Luigi's Bair does more damage, and sends them much farther. Luigi's aerials also can KILL! Mario's fair meteor smash is garbage. Slow startup, weak knockback. Marios dair tornado has good priority bur bad range.

5. Killers. Mario actually sucks at killing. Mario forward smash needs to be sweetspotted to kill well. And even if he does, he Fsmash is still weaker than Luigi's. Luigi's is POWERFUL, killing many characters at 90-100. Luigi Upsmash overshadows Mario's (Many Sakurai hates Mario) His Upsmash has more knockback. Luigi's Upsmash usually kills 128% with DI. Mario's kills at 140% with DI. (It sucks) Downsmash wise, Luigi's does 1 more damage. Not to mention Luigi's Up B.

6. Matchups. Mario has crappy matchups. Luigi has decent matchups. (Both are infinited by DDD downsmash>regrab combo)

Overall Luigi trumps Mario in more ways in the competive sense. Only noobs try to argue and fight back pure facts. Mario's tournie results are garbage too.

Man get a clue and actually USE Luigi, not play against him.

PS: Luigi's fireballs are faster. (not better) spam vs Mario and Luigi's will overtake Mario.

Coraircate

Smash Cadet
I was practicing against two level nine Mario CPUs with a teammate Luigi. I was killed. Mario and Mario both had 5 stock, and so did Luigi. Luigi killed them both without losing one life.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
@Smashbros: yeah that's kinda what I have been trying to say...minus the angry...I want this thread to close...but I'm not a mod and the mods here don't give a **** so that won't happen

@Coraircate: Computers don't mean anything to anybody

and I stand by my "Luigi's Head Stuck in the Wall is a Mindgame" defense

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
I was practicing against two level nine Mario CPUs with a teammate Luigi. I was killed. Mario and Mario both had 5 stock, and so did Luigi. Luigi killed them both without losing one life.

Hilarious. You should have recorded that!

Anyway, Im mad because I read these past posts, and it pisses me off on how some people give their reasoning onto why Mario is good with some bull****.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Well Mario's for juggling and gimping, Luigi's for KOing which he's very good at. And seriously, Mario plays really fast, I think Luigi kicks butt but Mario is really, really fast in the air.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
Well Mario's for juggling and gimping, Luigi's for KOing which he's very good at. And seriously, Mario plays really fast, I think Luigi kicks butt but Mario is really, really fast in the air.
Ok...I'm done with this...

Mario:
He can juggle
Has trouble killing

Luigi:
He can Juggle better(it's different than Mario but it's better)
Can kill under 100 on alot of characters

Luigi is better than Mario on all aspects with the exception of gimping options and even then Luigi can gimp pretty **** well

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Yah, I think the main problem with Mario is that he can't really kill well. Luigi KOs very early, but I still think Mario has a distinct advantage in speed.

Geou

Smash Apprentice
Speed and gimping are Mario's only advantages, IMO. Luigi's aerials (ALL of them) are superior to Mario's, and he can do two in a short hop easily. Mario does also have an advantage in projectiles and recovery, but they're not enough to make up for Luigi's offensive superiority.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
Speed and gimping are Mario's only advantages, IMO. Luigi's aerials (ALL of them) are superior to Mario's, and he can do two in a short hop easily. Mario does also have an advantage in projectiles and recovery, but they're not enough to make up for Luigi's offensive superiority.
What are you talking about?

boss8

Smash Hero
Of course. How can I leave when noobs actually think Mario is a better edge guarder/comboer/anything than Luigi.
hey i'll play your luigi...i mean im a noob bro i suck at this game $20 MM....acceptc or GTFO of the mario boards......your annoyance is a pester......mario is better then luigi i can give a dayumm what the tier list says.......

P.S. GTFO....

your basically saying mario is useless i dont appreciate it at all...and im sure none of the other mario mains do either..... am i right???

i mean we should just fight all da luigis and prove that......

(NO ONE PAYS ATTENTION TO WEEGEE)

yea i play a little luigi....but in turney i stick to the original mario...cause he ***** every character......

luigi cant even shield grab due to his sliding knock back......his fireballs are some what ok...but they are not as fast and not as smooth as mario's.......plus lets be honest(mario looks better,) no homo XD

O YEA one more thing...... WE HAVE A CAPE!!!

im pretty sure no one wants to do a luigi invasion....yea we had that with R.O.B. and we literally sent them packing...and proved that mario is a better character....dont make us invade luigi thread....

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Are 70% of you idiots? LUIGI IS A BETTER CHARACTER! Don't blame the character, blame Sakurai! HE made Luigi better (in one of his interviews ,he said that Luigi had more untapped potential than Mario. No joke)

1. Luigi's tilts over shadow Mario's. Don't be idiots about it. Luigi forward tilt is IDENTICAL to Mario except he has SLIGHTLTY more range and 1%. His up tilt combo's better, his down tilt does more damage (SAME SPEED) and Luigi's can trip. Mario's down tilt sucks. It's slow and Lucas down tilt overshadows it. (better range, and you can use it multiple times)

2. Better recovery. Maro has crappy recovery. Luigi's is decent. Most Noobs/idiots use Luigi Up B right of the bat. USE THE TORNADO! Using the down B allows Luigi to fly high into the sky.

3. Priority. Mario has bad priority. Not Captain Falcon level, but still pretty bad. Luigi not only has GOOD priority, he also amazing aerial priority.

4. Aerials. Mario's are weaker, and some just suck. His Nair is weak, and needs to be sweetspot to do damage. It's comboability is decent. Luigi's Bair does more damage, and sends them much farther. Luigi's aerials also can KILL! Mario's fair meteor smash is garbage. Slow startup, weak knockback. Marios dair tornado has good priority bur bad range.

5. Killers. Mario actually sucks at killing. Mario forward smash needs to be sweetspotted to kill well. And even if he does, he Fsmash is still weaker than Luigi's. Luigi's is POWERFUL, killing many characters at 90-100. Luigi Upsmash overshadows Mario's (Many Sakurai hates Mario) His Upsmash has more knockback. Luigi's Upsmash usually kills 128% with DI. Mario's kills at 140% with DI. (It sucks) Downsmash wise, Luigi's does 1 more damage. Not to mention Luigi's Up B.

6. Matchups. Mario has crappy matchups. Luigi has decent matchups. (Both are infinited by DDD downsmash>regrab combo)

Overall Luigi trumps Mario in more ways in the competive sense. Only noobs try to argue and fight back pure facts. Mario's tournie results are garbage too.

Man get a clue and actually USE Luigi, not play against him.

PS: Luigi's fireballs are faster. (not better) spam vs Mario and Luigi's will overtake Mario.
1.) I could care less what Sakurai has to say about luigi or mario. He went behind our backs and made Wario better than both of em...wtf?

2.) Luigi's recovery is too easy to gimp with, not just mario, but anyone. It's slow, and all of his recovery moves have low priority and can be easily overtaken by anyone with a disjointed hitbox. Mario's DISTANCE may be subpar but his upB is amazing, his cape is perfect for stalling when someone may ledgehog, and his aerial mobility >>>> luigi's. Mario's recovery can also stage spike and has fireballs to guard his approach to the stage. Luigi's is still marginally better because of the sheer distance, but don't spurt off this nonsense that mario's recovery is "crappy", because it's far from it.

3.) I agree with this, even though Mario's nair, dair, and Usmash can go thru MK's tornado, dins fire, Lucas's nair, and a long list of other attacks with good priority, Mario's is undoubtedly bad.

/sarcasm

Luigi's is far better, but Mario's isn't bad. Again, mario upholds his title of being at least decent in every area.

4.) It's widely accepted that luigi's better in the air, and I'm inclined to agree. But I love how you used every aerial accept Mario's best one (uair) and had the biggest analysis of mario's nair. Of course Luigi's nair is better, it's probably the best aerial in the game! Dair can be autocancelled, has lingering hitboxes, and has excellent priority. Add that to mario's aerial mobility, and range doesn't really matter much. And your comments on his fair are just wrong. Have you noticed that nearly every meteor has slow startup? Ike's, DK's Ness's meteors all have slow startup. I do agree, however, that the knockback could be better (even though it reliably kills at 80% off stage).

5.) An up angled Fsmash kills those same characters at 100% and does NOT need to be sweetspotted. I honestly don't get where you people get this bull from. Sweet spotting gives better knockback, but an Fsmash period has great KO power, not to mention Mario's absolutely absurd edgeguarding; he's practically bred for it. You act as if it's hard to sweetspot anyway...

What you said about his Dsmash and Usmash are true, and his upB is just ridiculous. Of course, this is the real area where Luigi excels. Just keep in mind that Mario's edgeguarding is far better than Luigi's can EVER be, his fludd, cape, and fair make sure of that.

6.) Prove it. Which matchups are better than Mario. I'm going to just skip my next step of proving why you're horribly wrong and not wait for you to fabricate some more nonsense.

TL, Ness, Lucas, Pit, Ike, Pika, Falco, and a whole slew of others would have an easier time fighting luigi rather than mario. Luigi is much more susceptible to projectile spam, his projectile isn't as good to camp with, and his aerial mobility can be a real problem if anyone outprioritizes/ outranges him. Without his precious priority and range, Luigi has nothing to work with. That's where Ike and TL would give Luigi more problems than they would for Mario.

Don't give me that garbage about tourney results because we're both doing horrid jobs of showing our potential as a group.

And yes, I've used Luigi. I've done his nair to utlit chain combo all the way to 60% while my opponent is juggled helplessly above me; then jab -> upB. Simple formula for wins. Mario's isn't as simple. Blood, sweat, and tears go into the same result.

You're just splitting hairs with this fireball nonsense. I could care less whose is faster or has more priority. It's a friggin fireball. You've already said Mario's is better either way. What you've said is just stating the obvious here and doesn't change anything.

I don't understand why this argument keeps coming up. Luigi's better. We get it. When you argue who's better between the 2, ludicrous assumptions like yours come up and try to make your character sound better than he is. We're both low tier. We're both doing terrible in tourneys. We're just competing for 30th place, seriously.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
hey i'll play your luigi...i mean im a noob bro i suck at this game $20 MM....acceptc or GTFO of the mario boards......your annoyance is a pester......mario is better then luigi i can give a dayumm what the tier list says.......

P.S. GTFO....

your basically saying mario is useless i dont appreciate it at all...and im sure none of the other mario mains do either..... am i right???

i mean we should just fight all da luigis and prove that......

(NO ONE PAYS ATTENTION TO WEEGEE)

yea i play a little luigi....but in turney i stick to the original mario...cause he ***** every character......

luigi cant even shield grab due to his sliding knock back......his fireballs are some what ok...but they are not as fast and not as smooth as mario's.......plus lets be honest(mario looks better,) no homo XD

O YEA one more thing...... WE HAVE A CAPE!!!

im pretty sure no one wants to do a luigi invasion....yea we had that with R.O.B. and we literally sent them packing...and proved that mario is a better character....dont make us invade luigi thread....

Lol as a Luigi main QFT ^. Shieldgrabbing seems impossible with the sliding thing. Even with Wavedashing gone, can't seem to make use of the sliding either. Also obviously Luigi never gets any attention and mario is mr. nintendo (duh) lol.

I always wondered why in the Luigi boards, no one ever made a thread similar to this?
Our boards are getting more emptier too ~.~

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
I always wondered why in the Luigi boards, no one ever made a thread similar to this?
Because no one is that much of a N00b to do so.

Luigi and Mario outdo each other in several different areas, It's true, people keep saying this, and people keep ARGUING IT WHEN THE GENERAL NATURE OF THE BOARDS AGREES WITH IT. Luigi may be a better character overall but that DOESN'T justify Mario as a more inferior version. The advantages Luigi has over Mario are negligible and I consider them equal in all respects; you could say they cover for each other weaknesses. One can do this...the other can to that...etc.

...There really needs to be a thread that should be stickied that says "Stop Argueing if Mario or Luigi is Better" because even though they have the same moves, they RELY ON DIFFERENT STYLES TO BE SUCCESSFUL. You can't cape an opponent's Recovery with Luigi because he doesn't have one, and you can't kill someone with Jab=>Up B with Mario because his lacks killing power (Unless your opponent is light/at a high percent but srsly there's better options for the red man).

I'm probably gonna get flamed for this, so TL;DR, Luigi=Mario. I don't like it when people exaggerate my main and then it gets the board all riled up and angry against anyone that mains Luigi. <_<

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Because no one is that much of a N00b to do so.

Luigi and Mario outdo each other in several different areas, It's true, people keep saying this, and people keep ARGUING IT WHEN THE GENERAL NATURE OF THE BOARDS AGREES WITH IT. Luigi may be a better character overall but that DOESN'T justify Mario as a more inferior version. The advantages Luigi has over Mario are negligible and I consider them equal in all respects; you could say they cover for each other weaknesses. One can do this...the other can to that...etc.

...There really needs to be a thread that should be stickied that says "Stop Argueing if Mario or Luigi is Better" because even though they have the same moves, they RELY ON DIFFERENT STYLES TO BE SUCCESSFUL. You can't cape an opponent's Recovery with Luigi because he doesn't have one, and you can't kill someone with Jab=>Up B with Mario because his lacks killing power (Unless your opponent is light/at a high percent but srsly there's better options for the red man).

I'm probably gonna get flamed for this, so TL;DR, Luigi=Mario. I don't like it when people exaggerate my main and then it gets the board all riled up and angry against anyone that mains Luigi. <_<
You just contradicted yourself. You said that though Luigi could be better, but Mario isn't inferior to him. Your view is automatically false. They're no way they're equal if Luigi has an easier time killing than Mario because of his Up-B, F-smash, U-smash, dash attack, faster fair, is more of a beast in the air due to his priority, and has a better recovery than he does. Luigi has an easier time juggling as well. Different doesn't mean equal. As for better edgeguarding, I doubt it. Cape and FLUDD are good tools that Mario has for edgeguarding. He can even capestall as well. It would be more difficult for Luigi to edgeguard since he would need to rely on his aerials more.

Top Bottom