• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is luigi being considered better?

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
You did not just say that Boss! j/k lol.

Either way Luigi is an amazing character and here is how I view it:

Luigi:

Fireball Lock
Semi-Ftilt lock
more priority in his aerials (YES!)
Combo ability.
Good recovery
More KO moves
Super Jump Punch

Mario:
Jab Lock
CAPE!!!!!!!!
Edgeguarding (sweetness)
He is wearing Red clothing!!!!!
Fludd
A Meteor that is easier to hit with.
(this is my opinion!) Way better and safer approach game. (Sure Luigi has tornado but guess what if they shielded your tornado, they will punish your ending lag!)

Now I still prefer Luigi to Mario but in my view what the other lacks the other has, just like sibling's right?

But let's look at it in a more serious situation, Luigi can KO @ high 70%'s with a Up-angled F-smash or even lower with the Up-b. And what your looking for is taking your opponents stocks as quickly as possible.

Genos

Smash Apprentice
I feel that Luigi is easier to use than Mario. For noncompetitive smashers, Luigi is definitely better. As for the competitive scene, I'm not so sure. Mario's cape and fludd are very useful if you know how to use them. Just recently I've gotten alright with the cape, but I still suck with the fludd. I'm not sure how Luigi is improved on a competitive level. But hey, I'm only an intermediate player, so I'm not one to make end-all-be-all judgments like this.

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
Competively Mario is low tier.
Bad priority. Decent aerials, decent edgeguarding.

Luigi is much better competively.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Luigi's priorty, recovery, and KO power > Mario's in general

Mario's projectiles, speed, and edgeguarding abilities > Luigi's in general

Priority and KO power are the big things Luigi has over Mario, Mario can juggle better than Luigi but I don't think he does it that much better than Luigi. I guess it comes down to which is more important, power and priority or speed and ability?

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Luigi's priorty, recovery, and KO power > Mario's in general

Mario's projectiles, speed, and edgeguarding abilities > Luigi's in general

Priority and KO power are the big things Luigi has over Mario, Mario can juggle better than Luigi but I don't think he does it that much better than Luigi. I guess it comes down to which is more important, power and priority or speed and ability?
Ability? Luigi has than more than Mario with what you listed. Speed doesn't mean a character's better than another in the first place. Luigi has better match-ups because of his priority and KO power. U-tilt's better at juggling and Luigi's somewhat better at juggling than Mario is, but not by much. Both projectiles in comparison to the rest of the cast are bad, Mario's speed doesn't give him much of an edge since Luigi's fast himself. It's apparent that Luigi's just overall a better character than Mario since Luigi's cons aren't as much as Mario's and Luigi's pros are more efficient than Mario's pros. I'm a Mario main, and I know this. The only way to beat a Luigi player is to be better than he/she is.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
You did not just say that Boss! j/k lol.

Either way Luigi is an amazing character and here is how I view it:

Luigi:

Fireball Lock
Semi-Ftilt lock
more priority in his aerials (YES!)
Combo ability.
Good recovery
More KO moves
Super Jump Punch

Mario:
Jab Lock
CAPE!!!!!!!!
Edgeguarding (sweetness)
He is wearing Red clothing!!!!!
Fludd
A Meteor that is easier to hit with.
(this is my opinion!) Way better and safer approach game. (Sure Luigi has tornado but guess what if they shielded your tornado, they will punish your ending lag!)

Now I still prefer Luigi to Mario but in my view what the other lacks the other has, just like sibling's right?

But let's look at it in a more serious situation, Luigi can KO @ high 70%'s with a Up-angled F-smash or even lower with the Up-b. And what your looking for is taking your opponents stocks as quickly as possible.
GO LOUCAN! You tell'em who ***** :O! Preferably, I think Mario in my opinon has the more useful ATs. Well most of it comes from his cape, which is very situational. Luigi's ATs comes through locks which I guess could be situational but mainly to rack up damage on lower %s.
Also you forgot the to mention the Luigi's misfire. Lulz I got like 3 ko's from that.

mario brawler

Smash Journeyman
Playing Brawl until I have a seizure,nah im kiddin
I maintain my view that they're just different. Not better or worse than each other, just different.

Luigi has priority, range, and kill moves.

Mario has approach, speed, and Edgeguarding.

I don't count recovery as a factor because I see them as equal. Luigi's is ridiculously easy to gimp, while Mario's is much safer and easier to protect. Though Luigi's covers almost twice the vertical and horizontal distance, it's slow, laggy, and punishable.

Each of their weaknesses is a strength for the other. They're pretty much the same character, just tweaked a bit.
couldn't agree more:)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Ability? Luigi has than more than Mario with what you listed. Speed doesn't mean a character's better than another in the first place. Luigi has better match-ups because of his priority and KO power. U-tilt's better at juggling and Luigi's somewhat better at juggling than Mario is, but not by much. Both projectiles in comparison to the rest of the cast are bad, Mario's speed doesn't give him much of an edge since Luigi's fast himself. It's apparent that Luigi's just overall a better character than Mario since Luigi's cons aren't as much as Mario's and Luigi's pros are more efficient than Mario's pros. I'm a Mario main, and I know this. The only way to beat a Luigi player is to be better than he/she is.
There is actually no clear evidence right now that Luigi's matchups are better than Mario's from what I've seen.

Mario does better vs Kirby (go to Kirby Boards and see for yourself in the matchup thread), and has been proven to have a great advantage on R.O.B. while there is no coverage on Luigi vs R.O.B. Mario also does better vs space animals and to lesser importance, Ike and Ganondorf since he actually gets to gimp them.

Also, Mario is better at juggling...Mario's U-air has slightly less knockback and Mario is much faster moving in the air.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
There is actually no clear evidence right now that Luigi's matchups are better than Mario's from what I've seen.

Mario does better vs Kirby (go to Kirby Boards and see for yourself in the matchup thread), and has been proven to have a great advantage on R.O.B. while there is no coverage on Luigi vs R.O.B. Mario also does better vs space animals and to lesser importance, Ike and Ganondorf since he actually gets to gimp them.

Also, Mario is better at juggling...Mario's U-air has slightly less knockback and Mario is much faster moving in the air.
No coverage on the R.O.B. vs. Luigi match-up doesn't mean Mario does better against R.O.B. than Luigi does. Luigi probably does better anyways since he'll have an easier time killing his opponents than Mario will. I need to go. I'll cover more on this later.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero

Yea I agree with you on the spaceys and the horrid character's recoveries. (Cf, ganon, ike)
Luigi does have advantage over ROB but very slightly, almost like a nose hair. You have to moderately agressive against the robot.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Yea I agree with you on the spaceys and the horrid character's recoveries. (Cf, ganon, ike)
Luigi does have advantage over ROB but very slightly, almost like a nose hair. You have to moderately agressive against the robot.
Meh ROB outcamps luigi. Which he can not do to Mario because of the cape.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Meh ROB outcamps luigi. Which he can not do to Mario because of the cape.
QFT

ROB has too much control with his projectiles. The only reason Mario even has an advantage here is because he can deal with them. Luigi is too susceptible to projectile spam and camping.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The Yoshi mains have really been rallying lately to represent him in tournaments. They've even gotten some decent placements. How can we do the same? Heck, we all know that Yoshi is God awful but they are really determined to rub other people's faces in it despite his huge disadvantages. With Mario being the middle of the road character that he is, it shouldn't be that hard for us to do the same... right... right?

Luigi player

Smash Master
All I got to say is Marios fair sucks, it's too ****ing slow, and you can't even Lcancel it anymore... I love this attack in Melee, but now, it's getting punished every time (mostly because it's too slow).

And Marios recovery sucks balls.

Oh, and Luigis upB is awesome, with Mario you have to kill the enemy otherwise...

Those are the three major things that I don't like on Mario...
I love how Luigi is so easy to use. His fair can be done twice or third in the time Marios fair takes.
And Luigi is a combo machine...

brawlerbrad91

Smash Journeyman
i just hate that after i shield something w/ luigi like any smash, i'm pushed out of range of doing anything, whereas, w/ mario, i could shieldgrab, or shield, then do jabs/cancels, or tilts or dsmash

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
luigi has more priority his recovery is better he has better spikes and he is very unpredictable.
Last 2 are wrong. His only spike is his dair and it's unreliable. People who hate Mario's fair just suck with it. plain and simple.

And no, he's not unpredictable. His aerials come out fast, but he's not fast himself. The only attack that has any sort of speed is his low-priority tornado, and that only helps if they catch you offguard. Otherwise a freakin fireball stops it. Luigi's good, but be realistic. He's only better than Mario, he doesn't have the tools to work with in dealing with characters like Ike, TL and ROB. They're stronger in terms of priority and range. What does Luigi have then?

Not to mention the projectile spam, what strategy does Luigi have for that? Crawl? Good Luck.

Luigi has to seriously fight to get close to characters like that. Once he's close, sure. He can chain together his broken nair and utilt until they reach upB KO range, but he's not getting there against anyone who knows what he's capable of. His recovery's not even spectacular, it's so gimpy. At least sonic's has invincibility frames and whatnot.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Last 2 are wrong. His only spike is his dair and it's unreliable. People who hate Mario's fair just suck with it. plain and simple.

And no, he's not unpredictable. His aerials come out fast, but he's not fast himself. The only attack that has any sort of speed is his low-priority tornado, and that only helps if they catch you offguard. Otherwise a freakin fireball stops it. Luigi's good, but be realistic. He's only better than Mario, he doesn't have the tools to work with in dealing with characters like Ike, TL and ROB. They're stronger in terms of priority and range. What does Luigi have then?

Not to mention the projectile spam, what strategy does Luigi have for that? Crawl? Good Luck.

Luigi has to seriously fight to get close to characters like that. Once he's close, sure. He can chain together his broken nair and utilt until they reach upB KO range, but he's not getting there against anyone who knows what he's capable of. His recovery's not even spectacular, it's so gimpy. At least sonic's has invincibility frames and whatnot.
Do you honestly think Luigi does a worse job at dealing with Ike than Mario does?!! LOL. Luigi can kill him faster than Mario can. Luigi's aerial priority's better and stronger than Mario's overall as well, making it easier for him to deal with characters like that. Ike doesn't do that well against Mario and Luigi, anyways.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Monk is too good haha.

I think the Mario and Luigi forums should officially declare war. And that we settle disputes with an online BATTLE TO THE DEATH.

All I got to say is Marios fair sucks, it's too ****ing slow, and you can't even Lcancel it anymore... I love this attack in Melee, but now, it's getting punished every time (mostly because it's too slow).
You can fullhop autocancel it, making it safe to use, and when you full hop autocancel it, you can N-air or U-air before you hit the ground.

And unlike Luigi's D-air, it's not ridiculously hard to aim the spike portion of the hitbox.

And Marios recovery sucks balls.
Lol, go to the Melee boards. Mario's recovery is actually AVERAGE in Brawl. Not amazing, but quite sufficient. He's harder to gimp than most of the cast because his Up-B is really good for recovery, and his distance isn't bad at all. He also has one of the best anti-ledgeguard projectiles in the game. Mario's main problems in recovery is that his recovery is moderately one-tracked, and also if he gets intercepted after using his 2nd jump.

Oh, and Luigis upB is awesome, with Mario you have to kill the enemy otherwise...
Luigi's Up-B is reeeeeally situational because it's unsafe on miss. Oh, and it sucks for recovery, unlike Mario's. Also, I think you're rather overlooking how Mario doesn't actually have trouble scoring KOs in Brawl.

Mario has only two real weaknesses. Range (not priority so much), and grab range. Everything else about him is quite fine, and he's still very good at ledgeguarding, which is something Luigi is still terrible at.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Nasir. People who say random stuff like " z0mgz wigi h@s betta recovery z0mgz he's unpr3d!ct@ble"!! without a clear backup evidence its pretty ******** imo. Also it's asking mario boards to invade luigi boards -_-. They only make it worst
Stuff like that bugs me too. Luigi does have a better recovery and more options but they are much easier to punish so it basically evens outs. Really, even if you are a fan of a character, you should be willing to admit their faults.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Do you honestly think Luigi does a worse job at dealing with Ike than Mario does?!! LOL. Luigi can kill him faster than Mario can. Luigi's aerial priority's better and stronger than Mario's overall as well, making it easier for him to deal with characters like that. Ike doesn't do that well against Mario and Luigi, anyways.
News flash bro, Luigi can kill EVERY character faster than Mario can. That doesn't make Luigi better to deal with every character than Mario does it? I knew that wasn't what you were saying.

And priority means squat in this matchup. Luigi has more than mario, but not more than anyone with a disjointed hitbox. This comparison is ********. Luigi has more range and priority than Mario....that's not a big deal. Nearly everyone has more range and priority than mario. Luigi's range and priority means VERY little when it comes to character like Ike, who space all of their attacks so well that scoring those low% KOs is difficult because Luigi's so ****in slow without his nado (which has no priority to speak of) that he can't even get in range to pull off these God-like KOs.. Mario may not KO him as quickly, but he edgeguards him to hell.

This is the point I've been trying to make for the longest time. Luigi is better than Mario, and not even marginally better. He has a little more range, and more priority; little else. When it comes down to fighting characters like MK, why is Luigi having a harder time than we are? Because when you take that bull**** range and priority away, Luigi has absolutely nothing to work with. THAT's why I get pissed when Luigi mains act as if Luigi is something special because he's FINALLY better than mario....when Wario's better than both of us...yea...

Top Bottom