• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

why is Link<Samus

AlKrauser

Smash Cadet
Why is Link worse than Samus in ssb64? Link has very usfull projectiles ans powerful attacks.

The only things raelly abd about him are how slow he is and his recovery, so why is he worse than samus.

craiigg

Smash Lord
any more one line link > samus posts and you get infracted, i've warned the others.

turn this into a good discussion please or don't post

JaimeHR

Smash Ace
Why is Link worse than Samus in ssb64? Link has very usfull projectiles ans powerful attacks.

The only things raelly abd about him are how slow he is and his recovery, so why is he worse than samus.
I think Samus is better than Link because she can be liek charging her laz0rx tehn sh000p da who0pz on Link's face!

If you think Link is better, then that's fine, you don't need an "OFFICIAL Tier List made by pros" to see if you are right or wrong.

Pick the character you like the most and play. Just ignore that frigin tier list or use it for some great excuses when you lose xP.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
I think they're both even. Link may be better in general, but has an horrible recovery, and Samus has a prety good recovery and she's harder to kill.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
It's a matter of preference. Samus can't combo well and has a slow, predictable roll. Link has a poor recovery and is generally regarded as slow (though I don't really see it). It's all up to you. I prefer Link myself.

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace
well, seeing as how im the only person that mains samus here, i can tell you some reasons why shes better than link. first off, shes faster. second, her recovery is super fast. ive faced some really good pikachus in my life and they always seem to complain on how fast she recovers and counters their attacks. third thing about samus is that she has a higher jump and higher chance of getting back to the stage if knocked off. fourth, it takes a lot more damage for samus to be killed. fifth, her up+B can break through anyones combos. and last but not least, that charge beam she wields is pretty fun to use, especially if you never miss :laugh:

Lib3r4t3

Smash Ace
I'd say Link is much better than Samus. I've been ***** many of time by Link and his projectile game is just too good. Then he's actually able to do something in close range. Samus has a lot of a harder time with both. And Samus's up B's height is so disapointingly small, hardly better than Link's.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Link is better than samus......vs certain chars

Samus does better I think than Link vs Ness Jiggs, and maybe even Kirby and Luigi

for all others, Link is presumably better

that tier list is incredibly outdated, I wish they changed it or got rid of it until the next one is chosen

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Link is the best, his boomerang is awesome and his bombs break faces almost as well as they break combos.

I've actually never lost to anybody with Link, so I have no idea why he's at the bottom of bottom tier...

Samus is a mediocre melee-range fighter at best, and it feels like they are about the same weight. Link's projectile game is also much better than Samus's. The only redeeming quality Samus has over Link is her recovery and back and down aerials, IMO.

Mikhas

Smash Apprentice
Why are you pointing out his bad spelling/typos/whatever, when in this post you were flaming Mikhas for being a grammar Nazi?
Haha, nice catch.

On topic: I'm not sure I can comment on their tier list placements, but I think the fact that more people play Link than Samus makes the metagame for Link more advanced than for Samus. Samus is just hella boring to play as or against. You can't combo her and she can't combo you, making for really long, arduous matches.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
I really hope people read this post because it's something I've been thinking about for a whle.

Link > Samus and Link < Samus. It depends on exactly what you're going for. Here's why.

Link > Samus "in the abstract". He's a much better character "overall". He has more tools and more "potential". His projectile/space control game is really good, he can shield pressure, hell, he can COMBO (something Samus wishes she could do). Good players make Link look **** vs lesser players because they can control the game and not make too many mistakes.

However Link gets punished much, much harder for his mistakes by high tier characters than Samus does. (Link vs Pika? Link vs Falcon?) Thus, his matchups are worse overall when played between players of equal skill level. I don't think he has any favorable matchups, whereas Samus has at least one by some freak accident (Samus vs Jiggs). So in terms of tiers, Samus > Link.

tldr; Samus has better matchups overall than Link does, so Samus > Link on tier list.

tldr2; what JaimeHR said - tier discussion basically means nothing in this game, it's only interesting as a theoretical debate.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
I really hope people read this post because it's something I've been thinking about for a whle.

Link > Samus and Link < Samus. It depends on exactly what you're going for. Here's why.

Link > Samus "in the abstract". He's a much better character "overall". He has more tools and more "potential". His projectile/space control game is really good, he can shield pressure, hell, he can COMBO (something Samus wishes she could do). Good players make Link look **** vs lesser players because they can control the game and not make too many mistakes.

However Link gets punished much, much harder for his mistakes by high tier characters than Samus does. (Link vs Pika? Link vs Falcon?) Thus, his matchups are worse overall when played between players of equal skill level. I don't think he has any favorable matchups, whereas Samus has at least one by some freak accident (Samus vs Jiggs). So in terms of tiers, Samus > Link.

tldr; Samus has better matchups overall than Link does, so Samus > Link on tier list.

tldr2; what JaimeHR said - tier discussion basically means nothing in this game, it's only interesting as a theoretical debate.
Samus gets punished pretty bad too...if you know how anyways.

Any char with a good recovery can gimp Samus with ease ...the same can be said for link

Link has far better projectiles AND and combo

Link has finshers

both grabs fail, but Samus has power at least.

imo Link>Samus but i suppose its more about HOW you play then WHO you play.

DaBomb has a great Link, that makes Tiers seem wrong

HolyQuebec has a Samus that does the same thing

Superstar

Smash Champion
first off, shes faster.
Given how floaty she is, she's actually slower than Link.

second, her recovery is super fast. ive faced some really good pikachus in my life and they always seem to complain on how fast she recovers and counters their attacks.
She may have a decent recovery, but it's not fast at all, it's kinda slow. Second jump, plup, plup, plup, plup, plup, WHOOSH.

third thing about samus is that she has a higher jump and higher chance of getting back to the stage if knocked off.
Her recovery is not great, but it's better than Link's. Personally, Mario's recovery borders good, so it's hard to impress me with recovery. :p Not just that, if you use the bombs, you lose your second jump, so far away, second jump doesn't matter [shame].

fourth, it takes a lot more damage for samus to be killed.
Because of recovery. This is more or less again a repeat of your previus point.

fifth, her up+B can break through anyones combos.
For that to work, it needs to not be a combo in the first place. Her floatiness is WHY it works [although, I dunno about UpB when you're getting comboed, if it misses...yeesh.

and last but not least, that charge beam she wields is pretty fun to use, especially if you never miss :laugh:
I think you were joking here. :p

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Samus gets punished pretty bad too...if you know how anyways.

Any char with a good recovery can gimp Samus with ease ...the same can be said for link

Link has far better projectiles AND and combo

Link has finshers

both grabs fail, but Samus has power at least.

imo Link>Samus but i suppose its more about HOW you play then WHO you play.

DaBomb has a great Link, that makes Tiers seem wrong

HolyQuebec has a Samus that does the same thing
DaBomb's link pisses me off.
no offense to him or anything but he needs to learn something else besides bomb or boomerang to fair. he has good mindgames with the bombs and boomerang but that's all he does/knows. I know he's on keyboard but still :|

I don't do that well with good samus players. so, holy's samus pisses me off. lol

NixxxoN

Smash Master
no offense to him or anything but he needs to learn something else besides bomb or boomerang to fair. he has good mindgames with the bombs and boomerang but that's all he does/knows. I know he's on keyboard but still :|
lol all the best links i know do boomerang/bomb spamming. I guess to be a good Link you've to do it

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero

I don't do that well with good samus players. so, holy's samus pisses me off. lol
His Link is smart, when you play a bottom tier char with such obvious disadvantages, what do you expect people to do? Camp near the edge with link¿?...I don’t think that’ll work!

Skrlx

Smash Champion
His Link is smart, when you play a bottom tier char with such obvious disadvantages, what do you expect people to do? Camp near the edge with link¿?...I don’t think that’ll work!
my link is up to par with his and i rarely use boomerang/bombs. ._.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
about the up b comment before, that is one of the easiest moves to DI out of in the game. I can't use Up B vs really good people because they DI out of it every time. Dabomb does have a good link, Sexy, HolyQuebec, and Jaime are the only really good Samus's I regularly play.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Not using boomerangs/bombs because they are cheap is scrub talk.

And you can't compare your character to someone else's at all, seriously.

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace
Given how floaty she is, she's actually slower than Link.

She may have a decent recovery, but it's not fast at all, it's kinda slow. Second jump, plup, plup, plup, plup, plup, WHOOSH.

Her recovery is not great, but it's better than Link's. Personally, Mario's recovery borders good, so it's hard to impress me with recovery. :p Not just that, if you use the bombs, you lose your second jump, so far away, second jump doesn't matter [shame].

Because of recovery. This is more or less again a repeat of your previus point.

For that to work, it needs to not be a combo in the first place. Her floatiness is WHY it works [although, I dunno about UpB when you're getting comboed, if it misses...yeesh.

I think you were joking here. :p
i guess i have to clear some things up from my previous post.
first, by faster, i meant when shes on the ground, not in the air.
second, when being comboed, i almost always manage to get out of it because she can react faster when hit. i usually use her down+B or her up+B to disrupt my opponents combo.
third, as far as recovery is concerned, i use her second jump first before using her down+B. i have been thrown to the farthest edges of the screen and always seem to make it back, of course, it has to be high enough.
and my last statement about her charge beam is pretty true. on average, i hit my opponents 75% of the time with the charged up beam shot. ive learned to predict where my opponents will move next and i just shoot it.
the only way that i can prove my points is in person. if anyone is down to smash, just pm me :bee:

Superstar

Smash Champion
second, when being comboed, i almost always manage to get out of it because she can react faster when hit. i usually use her down+B or her up+B to disrupt my opponents combo.
That's cause she's floaty. DownB/UpB isn't why at all. Difficulty of comboing her is a plus, but not for that reason.

I just mentioned second jump before DownB, because If she could save her second jump, her recovery would be way better.

AlKrauser

Smash Cadet
well, seeing as how im the only person that mains samus here, i can tell you some reasons why shes better than link. first off, shes faster. second, her recovery is super fast. ive faced some really good pikachus in my life and they always seem to complain on how fast she recovers and counters their attacks. third thing about samus is that she has a higher jump and higher chance of getting back to the stage if knocked off. fourth, it takes a lot more damage for samus to be killed. fifth, her up+B can break through anyones combos. and last but not least, that charge beam she wields is pretty fun to use, especially if you never miss :laugh:
ALL of your reasons are recovery, and that is undeniable, Link has the worst recovery in the game. BUT link does have a spammable up tilt, a good up smash, a good forward smash, good down smash, good airial attacks, and hit special moves are really usefull in fighting. Oh and he has a beter AAA combo.IMO, Samus's one projectile is really easy to avoid, unless the player is really good at it. her up smash is imo useless as a smash attack, and her down tilt is neatly the same as her down smash. The only thing other than her recovery that she has better than link is her grab, which can kill better, but(even though i am not sure) that even takes longer to use than the beam.

Samus has very few combos imo. Like I said earlier, her one kill move is really slow and easy to avoid and USELESS against a good Ness player. Lastly, in this game, her bombs are near useless.

In all areas but recovery, Link is worse than Samus.

D

Deleted member

ALL of your reasons are recovery, and that is undeniable, Link has the worst recovery in the game. BUT link does have a spammable up tilt, a good up smash, a good forward smash, good down smash, good airial attacks, and hit special moves are really usefull in fighting. Oh and he has a beter AAA combo.IMO, Samus's one projectile is really easy to avoid, unless the player is really good at it. her up smash is imo useless as a smash attack, and her down tilt is neatly the same as her down smash. The only thing other than her recovery that she has better than link is her grab, which can kill better, but(even though i am not sure) that even takes longer to use than the beam.

Samus has very few combos imo. Like I said earlier, her one kill move is really slow and easy to avoid and USELESS against a good Ness player. Lastly, in this game, her bombs are near useless.

In all areas but recovery, Link is worse than Samus.

Link's recovery is the shortest but its more difficult to edgeguard than people such as falcon or fox.

Link's up tilt isn't really spammable, maybe if your opponent sucks really bad , up-smash you can DI out of it easily, AAA attack is meh, Samus's is much better in every respect in terms of AA combo due to faster jab recovery and better knockback on 2nd hit. Samus's upsmash is very situational but if you get all hits in somehow it does 50 %, not bad. Down tilt knocks them away more horizontally than the rather pathetic 45 degree knockback of down smash. Samus also has more than one kill move.

Link has more gooder matchups than Samus.

Link vs Samus is probably Samus's 3rd worst matchup since Link can effectively combo Samus to hell and mess the crap out of Samus by virtue of bomb, boomerang. Of many other matchups, Samus can win by playing a very campy, safe game but with competent Links vs competent Samus's, Link has an easy time.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
While there is discussion about Samus here, I play a lot of Link Vs. Samus matches, and was wondering if there is any way out of Samus's UpB? Everytime I'm close to her she uses it, it's instant, has insane priority, and seems to be an automatic 15%.

Top Bottom