• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

why is Link<Samus

NixxxoN

Smash Master
While there is discussion about Samus here, I play a lot of Link Vs. Samus matches, and was wondering if there is any way out of Samus's UpB? Everytime I'm close to her she uses it, it's instant, has insane priority, and seems to be an automatic 15%.
Links dair has even more priority, and use DI to get easily out of it and also leaves her in vulnerability often

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
Why is Link worse than Samus in ssb64? Link has very usfull projectiles ans powerful attacks.

The only things raelly abd about him are how slow he is and his recovery, so why is he worse than samus.

:laugh: It seems like you're ignoring the reasons why he really sucks :laugh:

Superstar

Smash Champion
Slide DI also should theoretically help there. 3 inputs per quarter rotation. It's multihit so it helps more there.

Secondhand info. :p

Mikhas

Smash Apprentice
...?

you can Smash DI out of it. Smash DI is the only type of DI in the game anyway...
Yes, you can DI during the last couple hits, but you can't DI out before then. You're still going to take the majority of the damage from it.

Who said anything about anything other than smash DI? When talking about DI in 64 it is implicit that it is smash DI you're referring to.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Yes, you can DI during the last couple hits, but you can't DI out before then. You're still going to take the majority of the damage from it.

Who said anything about anything other than smash DI? When talking about DI in 64 it is implicit that it is smash DI you're referring to.
see, the thing is, you said "you CAN'T DI out of samus' up b"

now think about the only reasonable interpretation of what that means...

so I assumed you didn't know anything about DI in this game, haha

also the damage isn't what's important, if you're out of the hitstun before the move ends you can find opportunities to punish.

Mikhas

Smash Apprentice
also the damage isn't what's important, if you're out of the hitstun before the move ends you can find opportunities to punish.
I've never seen this happen. Maybe if you DI down you can land first and be close to Samus when she lands, but I'm not sure if that is possible since you'd be DIing into Samus. In most cases you'll be hit far enough away by the last hits of it as to not be close enough to be able to punish her for it.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
I've never seen this happen. Maybe if you DI down you can land first and be close to Samus when she lands, but I'm not sure if that is possible since you'd be DIing into Samus. In most cases you'll be hit far enough away by the last hits of it as to not be close enough to be able to punish her for it.
Try improving your DI?

If you do it well, you get out of it and you can grab her or start whatever combo you want to her

But im not the best one to speak, i must say that i use keyboard to do DI lol.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Can anybody find a video of this happening? Samus's Up-B has basically been a guaranteed 15%, or a shield break(If not, close) when I'm victim to it.

As for priority, I've had MANY times where I'll hit Samus during her Up-B, the game will even make a noise registering such, but she'll take no damage, and I'll get sucked in.

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace
Her spike sucks...hard to combo into, lowest knock back (out of spikes...i think) and her ****ty recovery means if you fail a spike you get punished badly
her spike is awesome. its as strong as falcons dair. as far as missing a spike, you just have to use z-cancel in order to eliminate the lag that would normally follow

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Can anybody find a video of this happening? Samus's Up-B has basically been a guaranteed 15%, or a shield break(If not, close) when I'm victim to it.
Search on youtube, but i'll tell you that I did it myself many times on emulator

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Any of you people who say Samus's Up-B can't be DI'd out of, what level opponents were you playing, and what level players are you anyways? I've personally DI'd enough times out of Samus's Up-b, on console no less, to say that it is very possible to escape and punish.

Play better people dudes.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Any of you people who say Samus's Up-B can't be DI'd out of, what level opponents were you playing, and what level players are you anyways? I've personally DI'd enough times out of Samus's Up-b, on console no less, to say that it is very possible to escape and punish.

Same, I can easily DI out of it depending on how it catches me. But if all the hits connect you can still influence where you will be knocked too and get to a favourable defensive position

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace

it has happened to me a few times, but most of the time my opponents cant escape. personally, im between a level 4 and 5a. i havent been using z-cancel for that long, but i do know how to play with samus extremely well

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
samus can also influence where her opponents will be knocked to
What? :dizzy::psycho::confused:

DI is what your opponent does. Usually it has much more impact on a multihit than the attacker, unless it's something like a drill. Zzz.

I'm pretty sure Samus's last hit has near set knockback, and as far as I can tell, you can't influence which direction they go (quite frankly I don't think it matters all that much anyways).

Which basically means Darth dude who isn't DarthFox, play better people. I don't really care about the people who you play that probably don't know about DI or aren't good enough to get out of screw attacks, my point was that it's very possible to get out of screw attacks with good DI and combating what I'm saying with examples of your own matches doesn't help your argument. ~_~

Me three on the facepalm V_V

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Those who are saying you can influence which direction you pop out of the Samus Up-B at should probably play more against Samus. You WILL get sent, barring total abnormalities , the opposite direction that Samus is heading towards.

Superstar

Smash Champion
That's what DI is for.

To get out before the final hit.

The only problem is, Samus is fairly difficult to punish, and least vertically.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
samus can also influence where her opponents will be knocked to
The up b is an amazing move, I also believe it has the highest priority in the game, though I wont state that as fact vs other scary moves like pika uair and kirby utilt.

And yeah you're right about being knocked the opposite direction of samus

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
So you're implying that you can DI out of a Samus Up-B if you're caught in the center of it? I've had no luck trying to DI out in any direction, unless I'm lucky enough to be on the edge of the attack in the first place.

You could be helpful instead of a jerk, you know. A quick how-to would be a lot more helpful than quoting Facepalms and saying "QFT."

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
So you're implying that you can DI out of a Samus Up-B if you're caught in the center of it? I've had no luck trying to DI out in any direction, unless I'm lucky enough to be on the edge of the attack in the first place.

You could be helpful instead of a jerk, you know. A quick how-to would be a lot more helpful than quoting Facepalms and saying "QFT."
we already explained it, you chose to keep saying the same thing again and again, i dont ever put input in twice...(unless its the case of SWF vs Ness, ive done that a few times but i wont any more)

D

Deleted member

You can DI out of Samus's Up-B if you are good at DI-ing even if you are stuck in the middle. Just because you can't doesn't mean its impossible.

Also, if you catch your opponent in an Up-B and you are heading right, but the opponent is on the right side of the up-b attack, he will be sent to the right side, rather than the left side as you claim. It's not a total abnormality. It's just how the move works. What I typed was a little confusing, but just know that you are wrong.

Since you want an how-to, simply mash a direction really quickly or do the slide-DI technique where you move the joystick from top-right to bottom-right back and forth quickly. I prefer the mash a single direction really quickly. It just works better for me.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I'll try that.

But by the single direction method, do you mean smash a direction right when you get caught in it, or continuously smashing a direction while caught in the attack?

D

Deleted member

I'll try that.

But by the single direction method, do you mean smash a direction right when you get caught in it, or continuously smashing a direction while caught in the attack?

Continuous smashing, and I mean very fast, violent smashing

Superstar

Smash Champion
Reading AntD's DI thread from the offical smash index is good stuff.

In 64, while in freezeframes, continuosly mashing a direction does multiple DI imputs. Slide DI, sliding the stick, also works.

It's not just mash once and you're done.

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace
im sorry, you can try to DI out of samus' upB but it wont happen. i tried it on both malva and tigerbombz and neither were able to get out of it ;-P

Top Bottom