• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is everyone so opposed to having Smash Balls in competitive play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
Why is everyone so opposed to having Smash Balls in competitive play?

cause its an item

but besides the obvious fact, it would heavily make the game unbalanced, considering that most final smashes are best under particular circumstances, stuff like captain falcon's FS would suffer on stages like final destination, when marth and zelda's would be winning like crazy

end statement:

People will never accept items into most tournaments, just as they only accept mostly neutral stages.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
there must be a line between hardcore and casual gaming. how do we decide it? by majority. and I'm afraid the majority of hardcore gamers don't want Smash Balls. you may filibuster all you like, it won't change most people's minds.

someguy12

Smash Journeyman
Ok. So I have paraphrased a couple of sentences in there... Yuna, I feel like you are overreacting a little bit here. Calm down. Lighten up. Is it too much for you that some people disagree with what you are saying? You keep going on about having "facts" on your side, like you are some SSB holyman or something. Let me remind you that this is a game. Different people find different things fun/entertaining/challenging/exciting.

Now I'll try to address some of the points in your post.

You don't have to be a "magician" to deal with the randomness of items. Although it is true that items can result in some unavoidable accidents (like a bomb appearing on top of you during an attack), but these are just a small subset of what can happen. Most of the time these fluke events are not enough to ruin a game. As I was saying before, a good player is able to deal with many situations, including those that involve quick witted use of an item that just appeared, and including those where the opponent has an item based advantage. I thought it was obvious that when I referred to "unarmed" opponents I was talking about "item-less"opponents. It was pretty silly of you to say "They're not unarmed, they have their movesets." You deliberately misinterpreted what I said. It suggests that you aren't even willing to think about my point of view.

Besides, since the randomness effects all players, on a larger set of games the net effect is even for all players. Is it so atrocious for you to think that the best smash player can't be chosen from a single game? Is it so bad that there could be a fluke win by a unskilled player against a skilled player from time to time?

Finally there seems to be a misunderstand as to why I am saying all this. I'm not trying to demand anything from you or your elite club that you claim to be a part of. I'm just suggesting and reasoning that items may not be as bad as you claim. I'm putting forward my opinion. If you are set in your ways, so certain that items are not for you, I don't care. I really don't. But I do think you should try not to shove your opinion down other people's throats. Even with your fantastic evidence based reasoning you can't use your "facts" to that "prove" that no-items is the best way to play, because different people like different things. For example, I prefer to play with items on, and there isn't really any reasoning you can use to change my mind on that. So when I play in a competition, I'd prefer to have items on. That is my opinion, and I've tried to explain why. To say that I am "wrong" makes about as much sense as to say I'm wrong for preferring vanilla ice cream over chocolate ice cream.

Look, I can see that your holy crusade against items isn't going to stop just because of what I've said. I realise that you're going to flame me and my post until the ashes blow away. It is clear that winning this 'argument' means more to you than it does to me. So you can have it. I'm out. Flame away. Flame on until the only people left in this thread are those who agree with you. Then the world will know peace.
i agree, you are as blind as a bat Yuna, you will just keep fighting the same fight, no matter what other people say, even if his point changes. i prefer to use items as well, and you need to deal with different situations, weither it's "random" or not.

That reminds me. I forgot to emphasise that a game with items involves certain skills that are not required in a game with no items. The game is slightly different with items. The best player when items are turned off may not be the best player when items are turned on. So it is difficult to say which form of play is best for competitive play from the point of view of finding the "best player".

Also, a few people are asking why anyone would want to choose add more randomness to the outcome of matches. My response to that is that the randomness is not what we are choosing to add. The randomness is a side-effect. The reason I'd prefer to play with items is to add variety in what can happen in a game; not to obscure who is the better player - that's just a side effect.
yes, there isn't only one way to deside who is best. and to the randomness is a side effect, that is true, it is variety that items bring, not unfair victories. hey, also i believe you said that this place was for competitive smashers until brawl was announced, well if you feel that way, go back to the melee forums!

It's not that you're wrong, it's that you're wrong and refuse to realize that you're wrong and keep reusing the same old tired arguments others and even you yourself have already used and failed with already.

Ignorance is perfectly fine since not everyone can be expected to know everything. But once you're informed of something, you're expected to be able to learn from that, not to ignore it if it works against your cause. You still say that you think we should at least try Final Smashes out in tournaments despite the heap of evidence and arguments I've showered upon you on why we will never do so.
hey, Yuna, how about you take your OWN advice for once. you say ignorance is ok because people are not perfect, but you sure sound like it. and you shouldn't ignore something just because it hurts your cause. ignorance, you claim the same thing every time, no matter what the other side says. y do you have to be so closed-minded? what is there to lose from trying something new? nothing!

read the first paragraph of this quote, how many times is the words wrong and you're. lets check shall we? it doesn't matter! because it makes no sence! let me brake it down.
1)it's not that you're wrong. (ok, nothing bad here)
2) it's that you're wrong and refuse to realize you're wrong
WOah Woah Woah! objection!! i see a contradiction! you say we're not wrong, yet you say we REFUSE to realize we're wrong! so, you're saying we are wrong, look who's stupid now!

I'm just saying that variety is the spice of life. Once you've done the same thing over and over, it's going to get boring. Sure, I understand that if you always set it to one simple map, and no items, it will never be the same, but at the same time, I think its more fun to have things changing all the time. that is why we play brawl right? to have fun? Anyways, for tournaments, I agree that having a set map, and no items will definitely show who is the greater player, but I think it makes a game more enjoyable if you're having to run like hell to avoid the landmaster. Plus, a smash ball is not a guaranteed KO. Many are really easy to dodge. It just all depends on what you want to do. If you want to determine skill lvl, great, smash balls aren't for you. But if you want to make a game more fun... in my opinion, then go ahead, throw them in there.
yeah, actually, the skill level can be determined by fs's i worked pretty hard to learn how to avoid the LANDMASTAA! but i can. you may beat me without items, but i will win with them, as several people have said, it takes a different kind of skill, yet there is only one way of determining this... hm, does anyone else find this unfair? heck, i might have a lower lvl without items, but i (probably) have a higher lvl with items, then you without! you need something to determine the skill lvl of smashers other than the boring "standerd" bull.
and, if you don't have anything good or witty to say, you just quote with the word stuff in it, instead of what they say, and respond with "go away" that is a cheezy, stupid, and immature way to repond, it's like saying "yo MOMMA!" to everything, even if it has nothing to do with the topic.

I like how there are two people who are arguing over what I've been saying... and neither one of them is me. I just think that's the bee's knees (for no other reason than it's an excuse to use the phrase 'bee's knees').

I'm going to explain this as well as I can, and hopefully someone will understand it. Yuna, I know you can't believe that I could possibly be advocating change simply to be advocating change (and adumbrodeus is totally right in that I'm not advocating replacing the current tournament standard; it's the standard for a reason and that's not likely to change, nor should it), but that's exactly what I'm doing. I'm advocating exploration of options not because we require it to survive, but because it is a vital part of the growth of the community.

Many people are satisfied with what we have now, as is their right. But, no one comes up to you and says 'here's something new for you to experience' (unless he's a salesman); you have to go and actively look for new and exciting experiences. No one can do that for you. If you don't go out and look for a diverse set of experiences, then you are running the risk of missing out on something wonderful, something that you can't possibly know exists if you don't look for it yourself. I can give you plenty of examples of this, both inside gaming and out.

I am not an outdoors person. I hate getting dirty, and I have an insect phobia. Knowing this full well, I have gone camping before. Why would I purposefully put myself in a situation that I 'knew' I wouldn't like? Simple; because I would never know for sure if I was missing out on something that I could only get by camping without trying the activity out for myself, and lo and behold I did find something I like to do because I put myself out on a limb and tried something new simply for the sake of trying something new (that something being marksmanship).

As an example in gaming, I am an avid Pokemon Trainer. My favorite Pokemon has alway been Alakazam. As a Spc. Sweeper, he has crazy S. Atk and Spd., which is perfect for my playstyle; he may not be the best, but he's never let me down, and so I enjoy having him on my team. I felt that I was becoming stagnant, though, and as such I decided to reset my Pearl version so that I could play with an entirely different team than I was used to simply for the sake of playing with Pokemon that I wasn't used to playing with. As a result, I've grown very attached to Arcanine and Gengar, and I never would have even considered using them had I not done this.

This applies to our community in a very important way. We have something that works for us (the current tournament standard)... but who's to say that there aren't ways to play out there that aren't just as good (or better)? We'll never know if we refuse to experiment, if we foolishly stick to our standard and let others mess around on the side as if it isn't important. Our community is growing at an alarming rate, new players coming into the fold in massive quantities, and not everyone is looking for the same thing. We, as a community, owe it to ourselves to experiment simply to say that we've explored every avenue we could to find different ways to play competitively that work for many different people (all as compliments to the accepted tournament standard that will bind them all together).

We all, as members of a community, should want the community to grow, to reach horizons that we might not have though possible (or prudent) before. We should all be trying to find ways to change Smash for the better (and I hear now that EVO is considering using items in their Brawl tourney...). We should all be experimenting with no items, items, heavy Brawl, fast Brawl, Smash Balls, 1v1, 2v2, FFA... anything we can to find what is balanced and what works so that we can have as many accepted standards as possible. There is literally no reason not to as we stand nothing to lose, but everything to gain.

Nothing to lose at all. As long as we continue to approach everything with the same skill, level-headedness, and determination that built our current community, only good things can come from it. And it's a simple as that.
i have several things to say to this.

1) lol at bee's knees
2) i am behind jack 100%
3) yuna still thinks jack is trying to change the standerd, and that makes me :laugh:
4) exactly about the new experiences, you have lunge for it, other wise, we wouldn't have most of the technology we have today. what if the greatest inventors and scientists of all time never went out, to try something new? we wouldn't have the wii, that's for sure, heck we might now have video games at all.
5)about the community, that's true, a new generation of smashers are coming, and since they grew up with options, do you really think they will comply? what if they want to be competitive, but not in the way we are used to?
6)and what's wrong with experimenting? like jack said nothing to lose, everything to gain. are you so attached to your standerd, that you arn't into any changes. what if we add an option, another standerd, a CHOICE! then you can keep your standerd that it seems you'd flame 100 members to protect your belifes. i find that honorable, but not by disrespecting others, and you think you're a nice person, yeah, hitler said that too, (he really did)
7) the last paragraph, is my thoughts to a T.
8)also, im impressed, with you're use of persuasion techniques. especially with the italics and the bolding of the key words for the reader to subconsiously make your point the center of attention, causing unknowing people to be more likely to join your side. world leaders use this kind of thing all the time.

i know these things, and i applaud your cheap way of winning a arguement.

orintemple

Smash Lord
We can't change things now. You know what happens when things are drastically changed from the norm...

PEOPLE DIE!!!

Seriously though, they do, and we don't want any smashers dying now do we?

Or do we?

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I refuse to join the NBA until they reduce the 3-point line distance.

I refuse to enter professional soccer until they legalize touching the ball with my hands.

I refuse to join MLB until they legalize steroids.

My oh my, these organizations kill the depth of these sports! They are so set in their ways. /sarcasm

HONESTLY, no one has a right to argue for or against items (or any rule, for that matter) unless you are a tournament director or, at the very least, a regular competitor. Why are you people working so hard to support Smash Balls in an environment that you do not participate in? Invite your friends over and play with Smash Balls! No one is stopping you! The only argument I've heard in connection with this is that "if tournaments featured more aspects of the game, I'd be inclined to join them". Well, complaining from the outside won't change anything. You have to become part of the community to instigate change.

Also, for those who seek to add to the current standard instead of change it, I commend you all for at least leaving the current rule set alone, but you still need to go do it yourself. I'm sorry if that seems harsh, but you cannot "have a great idea" and then expect someone out there to go test it for you. If you think Smash Balls are so great for competition, host a tournament with them enabled. Don't give excuses like "I'm a bad host"; I can give hosting tips if you need any. You gotta take action. Bickering on a forum is not "taking action".

If you disagree with Yuna, you seriously need to be drop-kicked in the jaw. Yuna's words are rather blunt, but they are the truth. Item supporters are attacking a community that is over six years old and has already learned the dangers of items through firsthand experience in tournament settings.

XxScareCrowxX

Smash Rookie
all ill say is that the smash ball is shiny........we like shiny...........so we all chase shiny.....but when shiny gets broken....we freak out and run like scared little babies...........*twitch*

someguy12

Smash Journeyman
all ill say is that the smash ball is shiny........we like shiny...........so we all chase shiny.....but when shiny gets broken....we freak out and run like scared little babies...........*twitch*
ok, that right there is pure win. and to Buzz, guess what, i intend 2! the only problem is, i don't know if we have enough people for a big items on tourney.

if i knew there were enough people out there willing to do it, then HECK YEAH! i would start a competitive tourney, (but no money though, only because it's not quite popular enough yet) and, as of right now, im really busy. don't beleive me? i have am having this post be done at midnight where i live. (plus im a innsomniac anyways, so it doesn't matter)

if i had enough supporters, then i would, (with a co-cowordinator).

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
ok, that right there is pure win. and to Buzz, guess what, i intend 2! the only problem is, i don't know if we have enough people for a big items on tourney.

if i knew there were enough people out there willing to do it, then HECK YEAH! i would start a competitive tourney, (but no money though, only because it's not quite popular enough yet) and, as of right now, im really busy. don't beleive me? i have am having this post be done at midnight where i live. (plus im a innsomniac anyways, so it doesn't matter)

Oh, man the timing... so, my best friend is transferring to UT Austin in the fall... right when I'm transferring to the American University of Athens, Greece. If I wasn't going, I would so be right there with you hosting tournaments. I'll check and see when he's moving to Austin; if it's before I leave for Europe, I'll see what I can put together.

someguy12

Smash Journeyman
Oh, man the timing... so, my best friend is transferring to UT Austin in the fall... right when I'm transferring to the American University of Athens, Greece. If I wasn't going, I would so be right there with you hosting tournaments. I'll check and see when he's moving to Austin; if it's before I leave for Europe, I'll see what I can put together.
O RLY? <--- see what i did thar?

but seriously, holy crap! that is awesome! who knew? ur right about that, that is great timing. only one problem, there isn't much smash in austin. except one group of UT austin smashers, but there it's pretty casual. but it's really fun, nothing but G. Hammers, good times. everyone is still going crazy about halo 3, (especialy with the new expantion pack with apperentaly everyone's favorite maps from the first 2.) it's sad, :(

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Uh, isn't that your own opinion? As I far as I can tell, nothing has been set in stone yet. Smash Balls may be allowed, they may not. Who can tell as of yet? And I only stated that I felt both sides had a reasonable argument, and that I did not mind using them in my matches, I never said "smash balls r fair lik it or gtfo" or anything like that. Sheesh.
What Smashboards have you been frequenting? Smash Balls will never be allowed at "mainstream" tournaments. As in, if you want to play with Smash Balls on, you'll have to go to a tournament at some random anime convention or host one of your own.

You also said both sides have good arguments. I've provided ample arguments for why Smash Balls cannot work in Competitive play (and contrary to what Jack Keiser believes, I've also provided evidence on why it cannot work in Teams either... since they're still broken). The other side basically only has "It would be more varied, fun and exciting".

Well, too bad. We don't let competitive viability and depth suffer huge blows because it'd make it more fun, varied and exciting.

i agree, you are as blind as a bat Yuna, you will just keep fighting the same fight, no matter what other people say, even if his point changes. i prefer to use items as well, and you need to deal with different situations, weither it's "random" or not.
Oh, you just dealt a serious blow to my credibility! Never mind the fact that you still cannot counter the arguments of camping, imbalance, randomness, brokenness, etc.

yes, there isn't only one way to deside who is best. and to the randomness is a side effect, that is true, it is variety that items bring, not unfair victories. hey, also i believe you said that this place was for competitive smashers until brawl was announced, well if you feel that way, go back to the melee forums!
With randomness comes unfair victories. What's more fair, winning by outsmarting and outplaying your opponent or winning by a random lucky item spawn right in front of you?

No one's saying the Casual smashers can't hang out on Smashboards. Stupid people however...

hey, Yuna, how about you take your OWN advice for once. you say ignorance is ok because people are not perfect, but you sure sound like it. and you shouldn't ignore something just because it hurts your cause. ignorance, you claim the same thing every time, no matter what the other side says. y do you have to be so closed-minded? what is there to lose from trying something new? nothing!
I'm sorry, have you heard of this nifty thing called the English language?
Ignorance =/= To ignore something

We have tried it. Not everything needs to be tested in tournaments first. Playing with them in friendlies, on training mode, etc. is enough to determine that they cannot be used. Especially not since they're still items, something we did try for a good two years before determining that they should be banned.

read the first paragraph of this quote, how many times is the words wrong and you're. lets check shall we? it doesn't matter! because it makes no sence! let me brake it down.
1)it's not that you're wrong. (ok, nothing bad here)
2) it's that you're wrong and refuse to realize you're wrong
WOah Woah Woah! objection!! i see a contradiction! you say we're not wrong, yet you say we REFUSE to realize we're wrong! so, you're saying we are wrong, look who's stupid now!
It's not just that you're wrong. It's that you're wrong and refuse to see it despite ample evidence on why you're wrong.

Question: Is English your first language?

yeah, actually, the skill level can be determined by fs's i worked pretty hard to learn how to avoid the LANDMASTAA! but i can. you may beat me without items, but i will win with them, as several people have said, it takes a different kind of skill, yet there is only one way of determining this... hm, does anyone else find this unfair? heck, i might have a lower lvl without items, but i (probably) have a higher lvl with items, then you without! you need something to determine the skill lvl of smashers other than the boring "standerd" bull.
"You will win with them?" - 200 dollar moneymatch (Wi-Fi) next week. Best out of 7. Just because I don't play with them on normally doesn't mean I can't play with them on.

Items take their kind of skill. But they also do tons to detract from skill. It's the detraction we don't like. The cost is too great. How many times must I say this?

You cannot avoid the Landmaster completely (you will take a hit) unless you're Jigglypuff (infinite Pound) or Pit (BS jumps, glide and Up B). Otherwise, no matter what you do, the Landmaster will hit you at least once. And the Landmaster isn't even the best FS. Never once have I used the Landmaster as an example of a broken FS. Avoid Marth's FS while I combo you into it and then we'll talk.

Then somehow break the game and make FS:es not give you invincibility frames so people can't camp with them or FS you as you try to approach them.

We need one thing and one thing only to determine skill:
The optimal conditions. What rules and regulations guarantee us the highest probability of the best player always winning? Our way.

Items do not randomly give us tons of more skill-requiring gameplay options. If you think that, you're delusional. It's not really that hard to play with items on. They require extra skill but it's not like that skill is hard to acquire or refine. Meanwhile, they detract from skill tons.

Again, the cost is too great.

and, if you don't have anything good or witty to say, you just quote with the word stuff in it, instead of what they say, and respond with "go away" that is a cheezy, stupid, and immature way to repond, it's like saying "yo MOMMA!" to everything, even if it has nothing to do with the topic.
Because sometimes, the quotes I quote is a wall of text. And I'm not you. I would never quote a 100-line quote just to reply with it with a one-sentence reply (which you've just done).

i know these things, and i applaud your cheap way of winning a arguement.
I applaud your "ungrasp" of the English language.

Jack Kaiser: Did you read what some of someguy12 said? Why are you speaking to him as if he could be reasoned with and as if he were someone you could possibly bring into the higher ranks of the ISP?

karadoc

Smash Rookie
Oh, you just dealt a serious blow to my credibility! Never mind the fact that you still cannot counter the arguments of camping, imbalance, randomness, brokenness, etc.
I'm not really part of this debate anymore; but I am still curious. What do you mean by "brokenness" other than what you have already listed, and can you please be specific about the "etc." part? I'm sure that the camping is a big problem already, and the randomness certainly is undesired; the imbalance I'm not so sure about, because the characters are already unbalanced and I don't think that smash balls would make it significantly more so.

Anyway, regardless of whether those reasons are convincing enough on their own, I'm still interested in what you meant by brokenness and what kind of stuff makes up the "etc.".

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
why does someguy hate Yuna? Im scared T_T hold me...

Yuna's right though, smashballs shouldnt be allowed in competitive play, I posted my argument a LONG time ago but I doubt anyone else has read it...its in like the 4th page >_> why is this thread still here?

EDIT: 3rd page my bad :p I guess it wont hurt to post it again for all the new people to read >_>

QUOTED BY ME =D
turning smash balls on only creates a lot MORE randomness

and by your logic we should turn cracker barrels (sp?) on too

1. cracker barrels are random
well get over it, you can trip *_*

2. cracker barrels cause an unbalance
well accually they dont, since all the players can use this item the same way

ok, so lets just turn on smash balls and cracker barrels...but wait! by that logic we should also turn on maximum tomatoes! accually, by your logic, we should turn on EVERY item.....

all items (including smash balls) only have a place in casual play and friendly matches, that just how it is, I dont understand how this debate about smash balls in tournaments ever even started, I mean, its a very unique item but its no different from any of the other items in terms of fairness (accually it can be even more unfair)

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm not really part of this debate anymore; but I am still curious. What do you mean by "brokenness" other than what you have already listed, and can you please be specific about the "etc." part? I'm sure that the camping is a big problem already, and the randomness certainly is undesired; the imbalance I'm not so sure about, because the characters are already unbalanced and I don't think that smash balls would make it significantly more so.
etc. = Extra stuff I did not care to go into then.
Imbalance - It's imbalanced already, so let's make it further imbalanced! In this new game, everyone would be playing Marth and Toon Link only (because Pikmin & Olimar's FS sucks except for dealing damage)!
Brokenness - All FS:es have invincibility from the frame you activate them. This means that if you try to approach someone holding a Smash Ball, even if you throw out a move, they could just hit B and kill you. Of course, smart people won't let you bait them into missing their FS much, so this is very risky. Meanwhile, whoever holds the Smash Ball can still approach! Some FS:es can be comboed into, like Marth's (70% of damage, strong knockback, in other words, One-hit KO). Pit's is the only FS whose invincibility ends before the actual Final Smash but he can move around while the Army of Palutena is flying around. What are you gonna do with an army of homing soldiers and Pit jumping at you? You're going to die (not necessarily). Everyone else is invincibility during the entirety of their FS except for Bowser who "just" has Super Armor.

So, let's see...
Chaos Sonic chasing you down and killing you? What are you gonna do? You're going to run and hope not to die.
Wario Man with his imbalanced Super-Ultra-Fast-and-Strong motorbike + faster speed, less lag, etc. What are you going to do? Run and hope not to die.
Landmasters - Run (and get hit at least once).
Jigglypuff - Well, it sucks but at least it's good for stalling.
Snake - Heck, he's not even on the stage anymore.
Zero Suit Samus' FS sucks you in.
Ike's FS has a hitbox that, unless I'm mistaken, is a huge 360 degree sphere around himself and will initiate the FS on you as long as the sword hits you on the initial hit.

karadoc

Smash Rookie
Yeah, the FS is pretty powerful for most characters. I take it that's what you meant by "broken". Ok. Thanks.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah, the FS is pretty powerful for most characters. I take it that's what you meant by "broken". Ok. Thanks.
The invicibility frames make them all broken as you can't approach someone without a huge risk of getting FS:ed to the face. The imbalance is... imbalance.

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
I can just see it now.

Toon Link, Snake, or Pit gets a smash ball.

What do you do?

The only answer is to try to approach. Which means you're putting up with the normal camping crap then when you get there, they instantly turn invincible. Awesome... just.. awesome.

AAP

Smash Journeyman
This should be a no brainer... NO SMASHBALLS.

Continuing onto what Eternal Crusade was saying, much of the logic used to justify smash balls could be used for any item.

Strangely enough i think you'd have better luck trying to get ANY other item to be used in tourney's, cause at least other items are equivalent character to character.

If the game had balanced FS's , then the argument might have a leg to stand on. But allowing FS's would ruin gameplay and probably make brawl the LEAST balanced of any smash bros.

In my opinion it'd be fairer to play with hammers and hearts as oppose to smash balls.

HAMMERS FOR TOURNAMENT PLAY!

seems about right (j/k)

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
This should be a no brainer... NO SMASHBALLS.

Continuing onto what Eternal Crusade was saying, much of the logic used to justify smash balls could be used for any item.

Strangely enough i think you'd have better luck trying to get ANY other item to be used in tourney's, cause at least other items are equivalent character to character.

If the game had balanced FS's , then the argument might have a leg to stand on. But allowing FS's would ruin gameplay and probably make brawl the LEAST balanced of any smash bros.

In my opinion it'd be fairer to play with hammers and hearts as oppose to smash balls.

HAMMERS FOR TOURNAMENT PLAY!

seems about right (j/k)
Hammers are a horrible thing to pick up. Picking one up ensures you getting your *** kicked.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Jack Kaiser: Did you read what some of someguy12 said? Why are you speaking to him as if he could be reasoned with and as if he were someone you could possibly bring into the higher ranks of the ISP?
*yawn* Um... it's early here, and I'm still kind of groggy, but this confuses me. Higher ranks? I'm... not quite sure what you're referring to. Unless you're talking about the whole 'Austin, TX, would like to host tournament sometime' thing. In which case, I only said that I'd like to co-host a tournament. So... don't confuse me this early in the morning! :mad:

AAP

Smash Journeyman
Hammers are a horrible thing to pick up. Picking one up ensures you getting your *** kicked.

but at least they have the same effect on each character as a peach main i'd rather a hammer than a FS. cause chances are i'm not going to get much done putting people to sleep and eating peaches

Justpeachey1029

Smash Rookie
god dude, ease up. It's just his opinion. Everyone is entitled to think what they want. Just because it may have logically be proven one way, doesn't mean everyone has to say, "Oh, sorry, I was wrong." or, "Opps, guess I'm just an idiot." People are gonna think differently, and you can't be jerks to people just because they disagree with you.

Veil2222

Smash Journeyman
He's a jerk because it's so obvious to him, that's kind of how Yuna is with his opinions. I agree with him here though, it's fairly obvious after a minimal amount of testing that smash balls are unbalanced for tournament play. Not only the Fs's themselves are broken, but the ability to attain them is imbalanced too, it's a free kill for a character with a good FS, or a good ability to get one. That, and they pop up way too often unless you do full items play, which has it's own reasons for being unbalanced.

Vijin

Smash Ace
blah blah
Why are you even commenting on competitive play? You're always hellbent over how people can actually play competitively in the first place, and now you're talking like you've come up with some awesome idea that nobody has ever thought of before.

How about you let the people who actually play competitively do the talking on competitive play.

Grunt

Smash Master
i dont even have to read anything past the title.

Landmasters are the reason. they are far more broken than any other FS.

dj_pwn1423

Smash Journeyman

translation: I want to, but I know its not gonna happen.

intending to and actually doing it are two different things.

bluebolt

Smash Journeyman
@ grunt yeah.. they do need to be a lil less powerful (less time on landmaster and only fly for a short time or slowly)

BEES

Smash Lord
Personally, I think Final Smashes were implemented poorly in Brawl. They did not have to be as random as they are.

Instead, they could've taken a page from Capcom, and had the Final Smash be an attack you could use once against an opponent, on their last stock, in specific conditions, as a game-ending move. Everyone's FS should've required time to charge like any smash attack, and it would affect only one person, and only if they weren't shielding or doing anything else to interrupt it.

Then it would add a lot to the strategy of the game. As it is, it's a game-ending move for some characters that can be used too many times.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
"1. "Smash Balls are random"
Well there are a lot of random elements in this game. I don't see how anyone can complain about randomness in Brawl when any character can trip at any time, for no reason at all. Not to mention some characters have inherently random attacks."

Inherently random attacks are a different matter. I know that there is a chance dedede may throw a Gordo at me and I know there is a chance I may misfire with my missile as Luigi. I can anticipate these things and adjust my playstyle accordingly. As for tripping if we could take that out I'm sure we would.

"2. "Final Smashes are too unbalancing"
It's true that some character's FSs are stronger than others, but it's also true that some characters in general are better than others. And we don't automatically ban the strongest characters because they are the strongest; we find ways to beat them."

I think the advantage would be a bit too large if you were say Sonic as opposed to Ness. Its a pretty huge gap.

Also consider that if you have Smash balls on you just about have to put on other items. If you have only smash balls on then they will appear about once per minute even on low... SO thats a bit too much and you can win a match only with Final smashes.

Also the MK player in that video sucked. Why would he come off his platform when wolf had a landmaster out?

TengenToppaDrill

Smash Apprentice
Your mom's house... Calgary Alberta, Canada, Earth
Heres how I see things: Smash is a COMPLETELY RANDOM GAME. You aren't supposed to know exactly whats gonna happen or have an unfailing technique. Items are a staple of the series and as such should be left alone. If you couldn't reach the ball or lost because of it, you must accept it as it is, most are simple to dodge and those that aren't (*cough*sonic*cough*) can be evaded with a hella lot of air dodging. Perhaps try placing it on low frequency or just take it for what it is and stop being a brat. Things don't always go your way; it's a part of life. You can always turn things around next time. If you're hellbent on no items go play soul calibur or tekkkkkkkkken and leave us alone. GAWD!!!! BTWLANDMASTAH FTW!!!!!!!:chuckle:

Beo

Smash Apprentice
The only reason that needs to be mentioned, and I don't care if it has been before (I'm not reading 24 pages) is Zamus.

Everyone knows that Zamus owns Samus 12 times over, so why would you ever want to ues that Smash Ball to turn back into an inferior character?

Umby

Smash Master
you say fs are unbalanced and should be banned because of that. Well the characters themselves are not perfectly balanced, so we should ban the better characters because they are unbalanced?
No, that'd be dumb.

Banning Final Smashes because it makes the game unbalanced is a completely different matter from banning characters for the fact that their differences are unbalanced.

With Final Smashes, your KO potential (generally) is heightened within and over a short period of time. Fact of the matter is, you'll be getting 1, or maybe 2 KOs in a matter of time that you normally wouldn't. And a good portion of the time, this situation would be unavoidable. And in competitive play when you're up a stock at 0% health beating the **** out of a low level player at 90%, you don't want to lose a stock, or even two because they managed to get a smash ball, putting them into a better position than they would have or "should" have been.

Characters, while unbalanced, are factored into by the skills of the player in control, as well as their potential to adapt to a certain matchup. For an obvious example, I've seen good Sonics play good Marths/MetaKnights and been able to pull of a win a number of times.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
everyone would only pick characters with good final smashes ( landmasters come to mind)

more pple that just randomly pick marth would convert to him here and honestly it slows the game down if u guys play good people who are good at dodign. and the randomness kills. im trying to recover to the stage yet my opp. got the smashball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom