• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is everyone so opposed to having Smash Balls in competitive play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BibulousDan

Smash Apprentice
Somebody might have said this too, but some characters like DDD use their side B and it sometimes throws a Smash ball. if all items are turned off in a tourney, then would DDD's side B be banned because it could somtimes be a SB?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Somebody might have said this too, but some characters like DDD use their side B and it sometimes throws a Smash ball. if all items are turned off in a tourney, then would DDD's side B be banned because it could somtimes be a SB?
DeDeDe can only throw items if said items aren't manually set to off. In other words, you can't just set item spawn rate to None, you have to click on the "All items OFF"-button as well.

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
holy balls, me and Yuna have both given unbeatable arguments in this thread multiple times, so WHY IS IT STILL ALIIIIIVE??? >_<

metaXzero

Smash Champion
That's.....actually a sound theory. It would explain all the other threads with you commenting that go unclosed.

But I haven't seen a recent "Smashballs for tournies" post...

Olimar369

Smash Journeyman
I remember playing my friend for the first time, and this is the ONE and ONLY game that I actually boast about. I played him for the first time. He beat me 3 matches (5 stock a piece) in a row. He only got 1 legit knockout on me. The other 14, yes 14, were from a freaking landmaster. the most random luck and it ended up making the game not fun. And last time I checked, most people play this game for fun.

ShardFenix

Smash Cadet
If you don't know why smash balls are banned in competitive play, you probably shouldn't be playing competitively.

Hint: They make you instantly win.

paSTAR

Smash Cadet
In tournaments it wouldn't be allowed, it messes with the game too much.

However, it is THAT much more fun in actual matches. But extremely unbalanced.

Marth vs Kirby? C'mon.

slickmasterizzy

Smash Apprentice
Landmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!landmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!landmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!landmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!landmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!landmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!landmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!landmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!landmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!landmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!landmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!landmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!landmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!landmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!landmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!landmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!landmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!landmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!landmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!landmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!landmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!landmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!landmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!landmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!landmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!landmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!landmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!landmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!landmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!landmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!landmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!landmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!landmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!landmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

slickmasterizzy

Smash Apprentice
Landmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!landmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!landmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!landmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!landmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!landmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!landmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!landmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!landmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!landmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!QUOTE]

LANDMASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psiklone

Smash Cadet
I think that if you're gonna turn on Smash Balls, then you might as well turn on all of the items that aren't auto-game winners, i.e., turn on everything except Hammers (both kinds), Assist Trophies, and maybe turn off the others that are completely random, like the Clock and the Lightning (sp?) bolt

ZSSamus

Smash Apprentice
Items and Smash Balls take away from the competitiveness. It's annoying to beat the bloody hell out of a smash ball and have your opponent barely punch it and get their final smash. Items suck because if you're in the 100% and up in damage all they have to do is toss it at you and boom, KO. If I play competitive I play no items on Final Destination or some of my levels.

Demon_Parasite

Smash Cadet
This a pretty good topic. Those complaining about LANDMASTER and Super Sonic, you can still dodge them. You can grab the edge to avoid the space animal's FS's, and Super Sonic can be jumped over, aerial dodged, sidestepped, or rolled through.

Mittenkiss

Smash Cadet
Very nice post.
I kind of think that way too.

I like the Smash Ball but sometimes it gets kind of cheap or unfair if the person has a good FS.

bluebolt

Smash Journeyman
I hope the next smash bros game will have fixed the smash ball problems.
fox, falco, wolf should be shooting from their ships in stead

snake should have clonel nuke the stage... because is cooler (but not in an overpowerd way)

ZSSamus

Smash Apprentice
I hope the next smash bros game will have fixed the smash ball problems.
fox, falco, wolf should be shooting from their ships in stead

snake should have clonel nuke the stage... because is cooler (but not in an overpowerd way)
God, if he had that Final Smash it would be terrible. It's fairly easy to dodge his grenade launcher in 1v1, ect but if he had an auto hit he would be insanely overpowered, not that he already isn't.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
This a pretty good topic. Those complaining about LANDMASTER and Super Sonic, you can still dodge them. You can grab the edge to avoid the space animal's FS's, and Super Sonic can be jumped over, aerial dodged, sidestepped, or rolled through.
Landmasters can jump off the stage and fly. If you grab the ledge, they can just jump off the stage and hit you while you're off stage/on the ledge. There's no avoiding that.

Also, Super Sonic can actually stop flying and just chase you with weaker attacks instead of flying around randomly and without control. If you airdodge, what's to stop him from waiting and then flying at you? And don't jump over Super Sonic, it cannot be done unless you're Fox or Falco or Sheik. Because Super Sonic's hitbox is huge. Not to mention that the transformation itself is a big hitbox that's pretty strong.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Where's the lulz? teh lulz? teh lulz?

No, seriously, this thread doesn't need more responses. I think it's fairly obvious why we don't use these.

Talek

Smash Cadet
Besides the fact that most of the final smashes being ridiculously op, brawl would be even more of a camp fest because people will just camp out until the smash ball comes out and take off an undeserving stock from there opponent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom