• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why DON'T you want Erdrick in Smash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Again, if you want to think that way think it. I'm not going to change your subjective/negative mindset.

In a title with 80 characters you're going to see some overlap, it's unavoidable. You can choose to focus your energy into disliking every little similarity if you want, personally I just think that's a big waste of time, but whether you think the moveset is fun to play or not is, again, your opinion. I think Joker is neat, not really a character for me, but I appreciate the way you utilize his kit. Aside from drag-down up air, the character feels vastly different from the characters he draws inspiration from. The mere existence of Arsene is something wholly unique to him, are there any other fighters that has literally every attack altered (with the exception of get up/grab related attacks) upon filling an in-game requirement?
Maybe the game shouldn't have 80 characters? Maybe it should be smaller and more focused instead of the gigantic mess it is now. More isn't always better, as shocking as it is for some people to understand. Unpolished crap doesn't become better if you just pile on more unpolished crap. Joker is absolute trash. There is nothing exciting or interesting about the character unless you're already acquainted with Persona. I say he shows nothing we haven't seen before because it is a fact, there is nothing about him we haven't seen before and he just adds another boring humanoid silhouette to a roster full of boring humanoid silhouettes. It detracts from the value and quality of the game to have such samey characters in the game.

Maybe Gohan with a Sword will follow suit as you said, draw inspiration/ideas from different fighters to create something new. Maybe he'll have something that's wholly unique to him.

But to gauge their worth before you even know they're in the game is a bit silly. I can understand having no interest in their game or character, but you should start judging what they offer when you have gameplay to look at.
If you're not able to come up with something unique and new just from looking at him and live in the hopes that someone else will do that job for you, that means there's nothing new to explore with him. I already know what he's going to offer just by looking at his design, unless you're going to tell me that his sword turns into a minigun and his shield becomes a monster truck, this argument is illogical. Some characters ARE exactly what they say they are on the tin. It is absolutely possible and sometimes necessary to judge a book by its cover.

This... is the longest piece of irate hogwash I've ever bothered to sit down and read in my life.

It's painful.

You know what, I'm gonna make a checklist:
>Complains that Smash has gotten worse with more characters: check.
>Complains about Joker: check.
>Equates moves with broadly similar animations as being the exact same thing: check.
>Claims only Japanese popularity matters: check. (Like seriously, how big of a rock do you have to live under to have completely missed the Persona 5 hype? It was freaking nominated for GOTY at the VGAs in the same year that had Breath of the Wild and SMO).
>Claims that a super old/obscure character should be added: check.
>Selectively complains that characters bring nothing new to the table: check.
>Complains about sword users: check.
>******* about Sakurai: check.
>Complains about characters being chosen because of popularity and then turns around and says those characters don't appeal to the people who play the game: check.

You're one of those people who got pissed over "Everyone is Here", aren't you?
All of these complaints are valid. They don't become invalid by virtue of you feeling that you've heard them before. You have nothing to offer if you're going to be reductive and break down arguments into small digestible chunks that you're able to understand, because obviously my arguments are more complex than "complaining X character isn't in". But clearly all you wanted to do was feel like you're smart for pointing out what you assume is the syntax of my arguments, so I can skim over yours because you have no rebuttal argument.

Last edited:

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
All of these complaints are valid. They don't become invalid by virtue of you feeling that you've heard them before. You have nothing to offer if you're going to be reductive and break down arguments into small digestible chunks that you're able to understand, because obviously my arguments are more complex than "complaining X character isn't in". But clearly all you wanted to do was feel like you're smart for pointing out what you assume is the syntax of my arguments, so I can skim over yours because you have no rebuttal argument.
You're complaining that popularity plays some part in characters getting into a crossover game and are complaining about any character with anything resembling something already on the roster as a pointless addition.

Every single character in Smash can be broken down and made "unoriginal"/deemed as overlapping with others if you really wanted to.

You're showing zero humility and are just throwing an irate temper tantrum that the biggest multi-series crossover piece of media in existence doesn't personally appeal to you anymore.

Instead of being a self important, self entitled jackass, maybe, just maybe, if Smash really bothers you so much... drop it and move on?
You aren't convincing much of anybody that a crossover should have less characters and you sure as hell aren't convincing anybody with your attitude.

It's sad that the internet has turned debate from being the means to understand someone else's argument to being "whoever screeches louder and longer has the superior opinion".

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
geez this has escalated, would you mind taking it to a private chat?

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I don't hate Erdrick. I'd still rather Slime though given the choice of DQ character just because...well Slime is THE thing I most associate with Dragon Quest and he is the more unique looking character of the two.

I don't really enjoy JRPGs, but I can't deny DQ's huge influence in Japan. If we're to celebrate 'video games as a whole' rather than just Nintendo. No other series grinds Japan to a halt like this series.

D

Deleted member

Erdrick and Joker represent to me a cancer that is killing Smash. I don't care about what game he's from or who designed him, I care more about the fact that Smash has forgotten about fun for the sake of popularity.

Smash's head has disappeared up its own *** because it has hyped itself up to unwarranted levels of self importance. It thinks of itself as the most important game of all games and that getting into Smash is a PRESTIGIOUS and SUPER IMPORTANT event that every game developer would give their left arm to be in. And the worst part is that this is completely undermined by nobody characters who contribute nothing particularly interesting or unique to gameplay and are just there because they're "popular". Joker is the ur-example of this: he was hyped up ever since December as being representative of what kinds of characters to expect in the Smash DLC, and then he came out, and my initial assessment of him turned out to be right. He is completely banal and uninteresting in EVERY respect - he doesn't bring anything unique to the table and his design in of itself is super bland. He has Bayonetta's guns, he has Robin's fireball, and he has Isabelle's fishing hook, except it shoots upwards. And to top it all off he has a variant of Cloud's limit break mechanic. WOW! This is really the character they made us anticipate for months. Joker is the worst, because he proves that you don't have to be a fun, good, unique character to get into Smash - having a spirit of fun is no longer a consideration. All that matters is that you have a modicum of popularity.

This is just one of many reasons Smash is acidic. It's basically run itself into a corner. Just because a character is popular doesn't mean they're good. I think that maybe the decisons as to who gets in Smash SHOULDN'T be made by fans. It should be made by people who care more about the quality of the game's life and haven't lost sight of why people play these games. So, in other words, not Sakurai.
You're making it sound like Smash Bros has lost sight of itself by complaining about newcomers that aren't unique but have forgotten that Melee gave us six different clone newcomers, and Joker encourages a more unique style of play than what any of them had to offer back in the day. You bring up similarities between Cloud, Robin, Bayonetta, and Isabelle, but the thing is that you can't say he plays like any of those characters. Approaching Joker with the mindset that he's Cloud or Isabelle is going to leave that person confused in seconds.

What the Hell are you even saying about Smash Bros prioritizing popularity over fun? They literally put Duck Hunt and a Piranha Plant in the game. Erdrick isn't even that marketable in the west because his specific game didn't take off over here. It's an actual business risk to put Erdrick in.

Maybe you're coming from a good place with this, but I don't understand where you're coming from. A lot of newcomers in every Smash game were inspired by what was relevant at the time, aka: popular. If Sheik, Roy, Zero Suit Samus, Olimar, Lucario, and Ike missed their debuts in Melee and Brawl, the likelihood of them appearing nowadays would be next to none because they would not be relevant. The only way they're getting into Smash at that point is actual popularity, which is why King K. Rool and Ridley made it in to begin with.

Last edited by a moderator:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
User was warned for this post
You're complaining that popularity plays some part in characters getting into a crossover game and are complaining about any character with anything resembling something already on the roster as a pointless addition.
It plays the whole part. It has become nothing more than a popularity contest. I'm also not complaining about "any character", I'm complaining specifically about one character who does epitomize everything wrong with the newcomers that I can describe.

Every single character in Smash can be broken down and made "unoriginal"/deemed as overlapping with others if you really wanted to.
No. Expanding your argument to sweep everything under a blanket of unoriginality does not minimize the characters that are actually, truly unoriginal. You can't say the rest of the characters are unoriginal by broadening the criteria of the term to say that they all are. That's not how any of this works.

You're showing zero humility and are just throwing an irate temper tantrum that the biggest multi-series crossover piece of media in existence doesn't personally appeal to you anymore.
I'm posting my opinion on why I don't want Erdrick in Smash - the whole point of this thread. I'm sorry your head is so firmly wedged up your own ass that you are unable to read the title of the thread that's asking for opinions on the topic.

Instead of being a self important, self entitled *******, maybe, just maybe, if Smash really bothers you so much... drop it and move on?
You aren't convincing much of anybody that a crossover should have less characters and you sure as hell aren't convincing anybody with your attitude. It's sad that the internet has turned debate from being the means to understand someone else's argument to being "whoever screeches louder and longer has the superior opinion".
I don't care? They're free to be wrong all they want. I wonder what kind of horrible world you live in where nothing can be criticized because you can just drop it and move on. The whole reason forums were invented was to invite diversity of thought and maybe get things changed if you don't like the way things are. If you can't stand that people have different views than yours maybe you should stop posting on the internet and go live in a cave?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
You're making it sound like Smash Bros has lost sight of itself by complaining about newcomers that aren't unique but have forgotten that Melee gave us six different clone newcomers, and Joker encourages a more unique style of play than what any of them had to offer back in the day. You bring up similarities between Cloud, Robin, Bayonetta, and Isabelle, but the thing is that you can't say he plays like any of those characters. Approaching Joker with the mindset that he's Cloud or Isabelle is going to leave that person confused in seconds.

What the Hell are you even saying about Smash Bros prioritizing popularity over fun? They literally put Duck Hunt and a Piranha Plant in the game. Erdrick isn't even that marketable in the west because his specific game didn't take off over here. It's an actual business risk to put Erdrick in.

Maybe you're coming from a good place with this, but I don't understand where you're coming from. A lot of newcomers in every Smash game were inspired by what was relevant at the time, aka: popular. If Sheik, Roy, Zero Suit Samus, Olimar, Lucario, and Ike missed their debuts in Melee and Brawl, the likelihood of them appearing nowadays would be next to none because they would not be relevant. The only way they're getting into Smash at that point is actual popularity, which is why King K. Rool and Ridley made it in to begin with.
I wouldn't call millions of japanese players and calculated promotion a business risk, but i think i agree with the rest of your post ;p
(not really keeping up with the thread tho)

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't call millions of japanese players and calculated promotion a business risk, but i think i agree with the rest of your post ;p
(not really keeping up with the thread tho)
You're right. Erdrick will sell regardless, but I'm not sure how much he will in America, which is why I said it was a "risk."

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Due to uncivil behavior, this thread is temporarily locked down. Please stand by while we go over the issues.

For the record, if somebody flames you, report it. Do not flame back. It's still breaking the rules.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The thread is now re-opened. Please continue to debate civilly. Any flaming or trolling will not be tolerated and we are more than willing to Warn or Infract. We take the rules very seriously here.

In addition, if the thread continues to go down a path of uncivil behavior, a permanent lock is very likely to happen.

D

Deleted member

The thread is now re-opened. Please continue to debate civilly. Any flaming or trolling will not be tolerated and we are more than willing to Warn or Infract. We take the rules very seriously here.

In addition, if the thread continues to go down a path of uncivil behavior, a permanent lock is very likely to happen.
So are we allowed to make threads especifically of characters we dont like now even if they haven't been confirmed yet? Its disappointing especially on a section dedicated to supporting characters rather than bashing.

Seems like an open invite to flaming honestly.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The thread topic itself is not something that should be condoned for any character.
(whether possible or in smash)

Snorkel the dolphin

Cetacean Gamer
Switch FC
SW 6666 6666 6666
User was warned for this post; trolling
So are we allowed to make threads especifically of characters we dont like now even if they haven't been confirmed yet? Its disappointing especially on a section dedicated to supporting characters rather than bashing.

I think Erdrick is a special case on account of how lame a pick he would be.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

At this time, we have no answer. As this is a unique situation due to Erdrick being talked about heavily more than most others. To the point of multiple threads going into long arguments about it. It being in one thread is a healthy thing.

Also, we do not encourage bashing anyway. We encourage thoughtful discussion. Negative and positive. Most of the posts on here have been constructive. We want to keep it that way.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I think that people are entitled to their opinions, but this kind of thing feels like a bucket of flammable gas near a case of matches. Hell, I'm already seeing Geno's fans being particularly hard on Erdrick and his fans, and let me tell you... that sucks.

I'm not saying you're wrong for being disappointed that you didn't get your most wanted. Trust me, I know that feeling. I'm absolutely heartbroken over the idea of Geno never getting the love and attention he deserves, Smash or not, especially since I think his chances are dead. (I still have some small hope for him to appear outside of Smash, which is all I could ever ask for, but it's still only barely there...) However, that doesn't give the fan base the right to bash DQ and its fans, just because it's not what they want.

If you don't really care for DQ, that's fine. It's not my cup of tea either. That said, I don't approve of throwing a fit because you weren't the one catered to. I know it's painful, but be MATURE. When we Geno fans get attacked just for liking our character, even without any attempt at provocation, we get upset... yet it's okay to do that to Erdrick's fans? Please. That's just silly and vile, not to mention hypocritical.

This applies to Sora's fan base, too. I think his and Geno's are the worst culprits of this. I mostly just talk about Geno because he's my personal most wanted, y'know? Everyone has differing opinions, though, positive or negative. We should never bully people over them. Be the good sportsman and congratulate Erdrick on making it in, and hope for your most wanted to make it next time. It's chill. It's fine.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Any posts that are breaking the rules are being treated as just that. We will take action against them.

In addition, let's get back on-topic(that means talking about your thoughts on Erdrick, not on the thread).. You are free to make a report of this thread or go to forum support. Likewise, I have removed the poll as it discourages thoughtful discussion.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Also, if they wanted to go with a DQ rep, wouldn't the Luminary make more sense? I mean his game, aside from being the most recent IIRC, is getting a Switch port soon. Then again, I don't know much about DQ other than the art was done by Akira Toriyama and the composer is apparently problematic

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Also, if they wanted to go with a DQ rep, wouldn't the Luminary make more sense? I mean his game, aside from being the most recent IIRC, is getting a Switch port soon. Then again, I don't know much about DQ other than the art was done by Akira Toriyama and the composer is apparently problematic
Luminary doesn't know how to dance well. I guarantee if there's a remake for dq3 that erdrick would be a lot better at it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This isn't a thread bashing Erdrick. It's about why people wouldn't want him.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Get back on-topic. This isn't an option here. It will continue to be enforced.

BTW, the talking about the thread itself isn't just off-topic, it's started to become spammy. All posts relating to that will continue to be removed. They are not in any way helping the situation and only makes it more difficult for us to watch the thread for actual issues.

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
Luminary's own game borrowed a lot from DQIII, so I don't know. It seems to me Enix was confident enough in using Erdrick and DQ nostalgia to sell DQ11, so to me it seems possible they would use if for Smash as well.

Furthermore, on a personal level... It kinda feels a bit too comercial. DQ3 Hero (Erdrick) and DQ5 Hero are from the most beloved games and are both popular in DQ media and Japanese pop culture, DQ8 is the one who resonated with the West. Luminary is... The latest and that is kinda of it.

I don't see Sakurai picking him over the classics, as seen with other third parties, and SE themselves are still clearly okay with producing content featuring the heroes of DQ3 and DQ5, with the movie, the Erdrick figure released near DQ11 for obvious reasons. Furthermore, the 3DS had all of the DQ games on it and even the WiiU had access to most of them, there is a chance of 0 that we won't see DQ ports to the switch.

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
Slime is the choice for people who don't actually want dragon quest in smash, but knows it will eventually come and just want to bargain.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Luminary's own game borrowed a lot from DQIII, so I don't know. It seems to me Enix was confident enough in using Erdrick and DQ nostalgia to sell DQ11, so to me it seems possible they would use if for Smash as well.

Furthermore, on a personal level... It kinda feels a bit too comercial. DQ3 Hero (Erdrick) and DQ5 Hero are from the most beloved games and are both popular in DQ media and Japanese pop culture, DQ8 is the one who resonated with the West. Luminary is... The latest and that is kinda of it.

I don't see Sakurai picking him over the classics, as seen with other third parties, and SE themselves are still clearly okay with producing content featuring the heroes of DQ3 and DQ5, with the movie, the Erdrick figure released near DQ11 for obvious reasons. Furthermore, the 3DS had all of the DQ games on it and even the WiiU had access to most of them, there is a chance of 0 that we won't see DQ ports to the switch.
Not only do Erdrick and the Luminary have very similar kits, but
DQXI itself is apparently a DQIII prequel, with the Luminary himself being bestowed the title of Erdrick at the end.
Feels like alt costume territory to me; even if it's something like 3 male Erdrick/3 female Erdrick/2 Luminary

Last edited:

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
I mean, is it expected that I should want Erdrick? A character whose name I didn't even know about until the leaks started whispering around?

In all honesty, any reasons I'd have for not wanting Erdrick are the petty ones. He'd be a "surprise" that we'd have known about for half a year now, which would erase any shock factor and make his announcement a non-announcement - no real news for Smash in E3 after all. Dragon Quest isn't a series I have any connection with - a character I'm more familiar with would appeal to me a lot more. Why spend one of four remaining spots on a stranger?

They're all non-issues, of course, but sadly that's what Smash speculation is mostly all about. We want characters we love, and we want reveals to surprise us - without those, all we'd have are the game itself, and lord knows some speculators don't seem to have as much fun actually playing Smash.

Still, I'd never use those as serious argument against Erdrick. Dragon Quest has more than enough history, which makes it a strong candidate under any scenario. And Sakurai can make a fun moveset out of even a Piranha Plant, so anyone he puts in will be worth the entry fee. Erdrick, whether he gets in or not, has nothing to worry about from internet haters.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

To be honest, the reason I have for not wanting Erdrick doesn't even involve him nor Dragon Quest (mostly though because DQ's Music Composer is homophobic and could be problematic if SquareEnix and Nintendo want to give the series more exposure in the West). In fact, I actually want to see Erdrick in Smash because while I don't know him or the things he does in Dragon Quest, I find him to be the most interesting SquareEnix character to put in Smash aside from Agent 47. Plus, he represents the Enix side of things too so he stands out more to me than any Square character does.

The reason I don't want Erdrick (or anyone from SE for that matter) actually has to do with the publisher themselves and licensing. I don't want Erdrick's inclusion to be Cloud 2.0 where it's only him, the stage, and 2 songs because of it. SquareEnix's reputation of being stingy with their IPs around Smash is 1 thing, but I believe they don't even own most of their licenses like the music and artwork for some of them (at least for Final Fantasy I don't know much about Dragon Quest's licensing). However, the worry I have is mostly on a what-if scenario, and I hope Nintendo choosing the Fighters for the DLC means Erdrick comes with more than 2 tracks and a great amount of spirits.

Again, I actually do want Erdrick out of curiosity of what he could bring, but if the Fighter Pack is as limited as Final Fantasy content in Smash because of SE and licensing issues, it'd be quite a letdown for me (not to the point of saying he never should've been in Smash though that's just silly).

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
To be honest, the reason I have for not wanting Erdrick doesn't even involve him nor Dragon Quest (mostly though because DQ's Music Composer is homophobic and could be problematic if SquareEnix and Nintendo want to give the series more exposure in the West). In fact, I actually want to see Erdrick in Smash because while I don't know him or the things he does in Dragon Quest, I find him to be the most interesting SquareEnix character to put in Smash aside from Agent 47. Plus, he represents the Enix side of things too so he stands out more to me than any Square character does.

The reason I don't want Erdrick (or anyone from SE for that matter) actually has to do with the publisher themselves and licensing. I don't want Erdrick's inclusion to be Cloud 2.0 where it's only him, the stage, and 2 songs because of it. SquareEnix's reputation of being stingy with their IPs around Smash is 1 thing, but I believe they don't even own most of their licenses like the music and artwork for some of them (at least for Final Fantasy I don't know much about Dragon Quest's licensing). However, the worry I have is mostly on a what-if scenario, and I hope Nintendo choosing the Fighters for the DLC means Erdrick comes with more than 2 tracks and a great amount of spirits.

Again, I actually do want Erdrick out of curiosity of what he could bring, but if the Fighter Pack is as limited as Final Fantasy content in Smash because of SE and licensing issues, it'd be quite a letdown for me (not to the point of saying he never should've been in Smash though that's just silly).
That, and as I mentioned, each of these fighter packs are worth $6 ($5 if you have the fighter's pass). No way in hell is 1 character, a stage, 2 song rips, and no spirits (except fighter spirits reusing the Smash render) worth that much money IMO.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Slime is the choice for people who don't actually want dragon quest in smash, but knows it will eventually come and just want to bargain.
That doesn't really make any sense.

Slime is literally the series mascot. Some prefer it over Erdrick. There's nothing weird about that. They both are notable characters in the franchise in their own unique ways.

It's just a character preference. Besides, Erdrick isn't remotely confirmed and has very sketchy evidence right now, so there's literally nothing to bargain in the first place. Though the latest datamine could change everything we know.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That doesn't really make any sense.

Slime is literally the series mascot. Some prefer it over Erdrick. There's nothing weird about that. They both are notable characters in the franchise in their own unique ways.

It's just a character preference. Besides, Erdrick isn't remotely confirmed and has very sketchy evidence right now, so there's literally nothing to bargain in the first place. Though the latest datamine could change everything we know.
was there more to the latest datamine apart from vr and amiibo adventures?

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I mean, excuse me, but as far as I'm concerned, we have enough third-party characters by now. All the third-party characters that I think would need to be in are already there, and the only ones that I'd actually still like are, in my eyes, beyond unlikely.

Erdrick isn't remotely confirmed and has very sketchy evidence right now, so there's literally nothing to bargain in the first place. Though the latest datamine could change everything we know.
Was there even anything concrete about Erdrick aside from the possibility of him being Brave?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
was there more to the latest datamine apart from vr and amiibo adventures?
Was there even anything concrete about Erdrick aside from the possibility of him being Brave?
I wrote that poorly. There's no datamine to my knowledge yet.

I hope soon, cause it'll make things a lot more interesting.

ze9

Smash Ace
I think Erdrick is/would be a perfectly justified inclusion. It's just that he's a bit boring on paper, since his archetype has already been done several times in Smash, and us westeners typically don't have the greatest emotional connection with him so we can't really root for him at a personal level, especially since slots are limited this time and any character short of our personal favorites is seen as competition.
And... that's it, I think these are pretty much all of his cons. Dragon Quest is a seminal series that has a long history with Nintendo, he's the most relevant protagonist, and I think main characters like Erdrick or Cloud are 1000 times more interesting as fighters than mascots like the Slime or the Chocobos. As for the moveset, Sakurai is a creative fellow and DQ as a series apparently gives him a lot to work with (at least from what I've read, I never played it) so we should be fine; and even on a visual level Toriyama's art style will be enough to distinguish Erdrick from the other anime-styled characters, especially if they adapt some of the visual humor he had during the 80's.
Erdrick will be fine.

Now, personally? I don't really care about him, and I'd sure prefer someone like Crono (since I've played his game, and I'd gladly shell 6 bucks just to have Corridors of time in Smash), or even better, some more 1st party chars, but Erdrick as a character per se is not really going against Smash's spirit or anything of the sort.
He's kinda like Mega Man or Simon Belmont, or Banjo-Kazooie if they ever get in. Main characters of iconic and influential 3d party properties that have been very important on Nintendo consoles. To me, that's exactly the kind of 3d party chars that Smash should have. It's just that for Erdrick the popularity part really applies only in Japan. But he makes sense.

I must admit, Joker left me a little sour for the DLC characters, but Erdrick would be a nice return to form, at least to me. Even if I don't personally care about him.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I wrote that poorly. There's no datamine to my knowledge yet.

I hope soon, cause it'll make things a lot more interesting.
Ah, alright.
Speaking of Brave, though, I still am not entirely convinced that it could even be Erdrick. Personally, I'm leaning more towards (and also hoping more for) someone from Bravely Default.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I mean, it’s not like I totally oppose Erdrick. Dragon Quest is an iconic franchise, perhaps moreso in Japan than in the West. It’s just... Erdrick doesn’t really bring much new to the table in my opinion, compared to other third party characters, and if we were to bring a new Square Enix character, I would prefer 2B (from their most recent and super popular game NieR Automata); someone from Bravely Default/Second (could have an interesting class based gimmick, debuted on 3DS, and has awesome music), or my prime preference, Neku Sakuraba from The World Ends With You (representing the DS generation, TWEWY has a Switch port now, and you can do TONS of interesting things with Neku’s moveset).

Plus I have more attachment to 2B, the Bravely cast and Neku than Erdrick. With all the other third party characters so far, they were characters people had stronger attachments to mostly. Yes, even Bayonetta.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Honestly, I don't care if Erdrick does or doesn't enter Smash. But I can say that he isn't a sleeper pick as some say.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I want both Erdrick and Slime in Smash... it's hard to pick just one... so I hope we get an Erdrick & Slime team. :awesome:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I still don't get how Erdricj's archetype is overrepresented or represented at all. We really don't have a magic knight in Smash or even a proper knight.

The accusations of him being generic are mostly either ignoring the trent-setter status of DQ or just some fans freaking out over every character with sharp weapons.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom