• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why dont people like playing with items?

Best101

Smash Ace
I will punch anyone square in the nose who can look me striaght in the eyes and say that they dont like playing with items on at all, then tell them how much of a lier they are. Sure, I wouldn't doubt the truthfulness in someone saying they liked playing without items more, and I agree 100% that items are not good in competative play. (Gamestop tourney anyone? I didn't think so.) But to say you dont like items at all, is just, no, dont lie like that.
I hate items. They're annoyingly random, they get in the way of normal attacks, they're over powered, and they're all just plain out lame. The item I hate the most is the Assist Trophy. Those darn annoying things I tell ya :laugh:

There really isn't a particular item I like at all, but my most least hated item is the Franklin badge, because it's almost like it's not even there lol

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
And you can turn those off, and leave items like lips stick on.

"OH ****!!! LIPS STICK!! BOY I'M ****ED NOW!!" :scared:

Really, items aren't bad. They are actually fun.
Now stand still while I apply some on you.

...Okay to stay on topic, I like items in certain situations but as a lot of other people have already mentioned, it's way too easy to lose/win because out of stupid luck, a Bob'omb pops up in the worst places for example, still other things can happen.

A_man13

Smash Master
Items are fun and all (and whenever I'm not playing competetivly, I turn them on), but as Autydragoon said, most don't involve any strategy to use. A game which should be who's the better player suddenly becomes who's lucky enough to get the item first.

Baconater

Smash Cadet
In melee for fun I'd turn on the throwable items for a few games. bombs, mr. saturn, etc. It just makes you better at catching items and you can do things that are in my opinion more interesting than without. my buddy and I were both down to one stock on fd and he had a bomb. He throws it at me, i catch it and throw it back, he catches it and throws it right into the falcon knee i was trying to follow it up with we both go flying (i die first). I just don't really see luck taking part in that.

with brawl it's really easy to catch items so i'm a little surprised more people don't play with them sometimes.

JrdnS

Smash Ace
in my opinion items are just plain cheap. someone could be down a whole stock, grab a hammer, and without any skill be caught up. there is no skill involved in using most of them. the fan can easily get some up a few hundred damage. and DI out of it is no option. plus items get in the way of your match. comboing is harder due to your fear of smashing into a bomb or something. me and my friends play skill only matches to see who is better. items take no skill and and a beginner in some cases could beat someone with much more experience, but without items theyd get killed.

Sheer Cold

Smash Journeyman
I hate em because they're so easy to grab now I don't know how many times I've gone to do an attack/grab and thrown an item that I didn't realize I had instead.

PKPower

Smash Cadet
I truly hate items... In a random online 2v2 (me being Luigi) I was giving one guy an absolute *** kicking with nair, bair, and utilt juggling up from 0-100%, then he just grabs the smash ball and kills me. Since then I have never played online random matches. He was using Lucario, and aimed his laser right at me :p.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
A game which should be who's the better player suddenly becomes who's lucky enough to get the item first.
Or whos lucky enough to main a top tier character and dominate the competition. C what I did thar?

Tiers exist correct? Then how can you adequately determine who the better player is when you've got some poor sap using Captain Falcon and some other guy using Snake?

Skybent

Smash Cadet
items... just arent fun.
it sounds ironic because playing without them supposedly takes away the "fun" factor nintendo trys to produce... but i mean, its just more fun/competitve/skill oriented without them. whats to gain by having them on?

oh wait... tripping takes away the competitive/skill oriented part. **** tripping. lets not get started on that though.

NoobCake

Smash Apprentice
Well I like gimmick matches every now and then, with Pokeballs on High (You guys know what I'm talking about), but in general I dont like items, especially things like the Golden Hammer, because I would rather win (or lose because of, for that matter) thanks to skill and mastery of a character, rather than being able to press A.

CookBadGrades

Smash Cadet
:psycho: I hate all items. I only really like the smash ball because final smashes r cool. But I don't like any other item. I hate items because they are very cheap and they practically take away your skill.

crazy olimar

Smash Rookie
meh items ( as mentioned previously) are based on luck
one of my friends from school never plays items low or off
and never wants to play 1v1 its always FFA
then he goes on to tell me that i suck at brawl and hes better than
me heh then when i win without me touching an item at all he says im
cheap then another time when i was jigglypuff* and i had the FS
i fell to the bottom of the stage (smashville) and did the FS i would've died
but jiggs blew sonic off the stage and i won (lol i saved the video for laughs)

every chance i get i like to turn items off cuz well i know no one likes to
have 3 stocks opponent has only 1 left with 200% dmg and then smashballs start appearing
every 1 minute and yea i ended up losing

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Why do people hate items?...
Because they're ITEMS! D=<

Turtwig98

Smash Rookie
I like items and i dont mind playing with them on or off,and why you ask? Its because i like the randomness of items but if my enemy does not want to use items in a brawl then i would not mind.

SmashMan_026

Smash Apprentice
I hate items. Especially the banana peel. Seriously, those take an epic moment in the making and punch it in the face. They make me think of tripping, which is another crappy thing. The one item I like may be a weakened Smash Ball so I can break it with a weak attack and unleash the fury of Galaxia Darkness..... yeah.....

I lied. I enjoy star rods.

Fool's Gil

Smash Apprentice
Diddy Kong pulls bananas, Peach and Dedede on occasion pulls Swords. Zero Suit Samus comes with throwable items. Even though me and my friends play seriously, we always scramble for those item, because it's rare as (expletive) and by the time they're gone, no actual harm was done-Unless Dedede threw a Bob-omb-

The reason items are hated are because even on low, they come every two minutes at the wrong time, no surprise, no shock and awe, and there's always more than one. I think if there was a rare item setting on SSBB (like one item every five minutes rare) and you add two non-cheap items to a match, I'm sure everyone wouldn't mind playing with items. Best part is if a match doesn't last for five minutes, well no one gets an item!

mysticwolf

Smash Journeyman
someone gets to use a golden hammer to their full advantage just because it happens to pop up right next to them. That's why i hate items. unless i'm really bored. then i just put one item on high and annoy the crap out of people :)

Fool's Gil

Smash Apprentice
someone gets to use a golden hammer to their full advantage just because it happens to pop up right next to them
I never liked the Golden Hammer myself, and items appearing next to people gets on my nerves too. If maybe items dropped from above, and no one had an advantage to grab it, it'd be alright

Immortal_One

Smash Apprentice
Items add mix to the strategy.
Only item I don't like (and only during duels) is the Dragoon. Other Items to add to the strategy, although in duels I generally take out most items. In 4-player Brawls, items add to the strategy in how you utilize them and your timing of using them.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
DDD throws capsules ocasionally that break open as any old item, usually bob-om, beam saber, smashball. i've never seen him throw a goomba though. i like items sometimes but not really their too overpowered like the bumper.

Acephoenix1

Smash Rookie
I like any kind of brawl :) It's probably better i
...sigh... using the full potential in items is actually much harder than you might realise. Just remember that EVERYONE has to follow the same rules about items as everyone else. If you keep getting killed by some kind of item, STOP COMPLAINING AND LEARN HOW TO DODGE IT FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! If your opponent throws a pokeball into the air, dont just stand there and let it fall. When they throw it straight up into the air jump up and catch it. If somebody throws a bob-omb at you, dodge it. If somebody gets the dragoon, make it hader for them to hit you.
Also, instead of just swinging the beam sword all the time, THROW IT AND THEN CATCH IT! Ive gone almost half a match throwing and catching a beam sword repeatedly. Dont like the wind up time of the home run bat? THROW IT! Do stuff out of the ordinary with items. Your opponent is your enemy, not the items. Items, no matter how you look at them, can ALL be used against the person using them... or TRYING to use them. You may not believe this about food items and healing stuff but think about it. You can use the healing stuff as bait to lure in the opponent close and lower their guard. They tried, they failed. In this way you can use items INDIRECTLY.
Sigh, I might say more later... but still, I'm tired of people thinking that this so called "skill" is based on how people can perform without items. If you ask me, it would be based on how well you perform in ANY GIVEN CIRCUMSTANCE. If you cant handle the heat, tough cookies, its only gonna get hotter the more you complain.
And with that I shall end this post. GOOD LUCK! :D

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
so its using the full potential of the bat to just chuck it at people and catch it back? items do not test skill since a 3 year old could understand if it swings too slow throw it. and since thats univeral to all items how much skill is needed to use half the bludegon items in the game other than chuck it away? w/o items its only the characters not random bob-om appearing in front of your attack, not they have a multi kill super move and you have crappy bongo's, not they got to be invincible, not they got to heal all the damage you did to them cause while trying to lure them over they ate some food while landing in to attack you got you away and ate the rest. some items like the blast box do have some strategical use but a gran majority of the others are just pick up, throw, repaeat.

GreatClayMonkey

Smash Lord
Rigging the enemy base with explosives, which is l
...sigh... using the full potential in items is actually much harder than you might realise. Just remember that EVERYONE has to follow the same rules about items as everyone else. If you keep getting killed by some kind of item, STOP COMPLAINING AND LEARN HOW TO DODGE IT FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! If your opponent throws a pokeball into the air, dont just stand there and let it fall. When they throw it straight up into the air jump up and catch it. If somebody throws a bob-omb at you, dodge it. If somebody gets the dragoon, make it hader for them to hit you.
Also, instead of just swinging the beam sword all the time, THROW IT AND THEN CATCH IT! Ive gone almost half a match throwing and catching a beam sword repeatedly. Dont like the wind up time of the home run bat? THROW IT! Do stuff out of the ordinary with items. Your opponent is your enemy, not the items. Items, no matter how you look at them, can ALL be used against the person using them... or TRYING to use them. You may not believe this about food items and healing stuff but think about it. You can use the healing stuff as bait to lure in the opponent close and lower their guard. They tried, they failed. In this way you can use items INDIRECTLY.
Sigh, I might say more later... but still, I'm tired of people thinking that this so called "skill" is based on how people can perform without items. If you ask me, it would be based on how well you perform in ANY GIVEN CIRCUMSTANCE. If you cant handle the heat, tough cookies, its only gonna get hotter the more you complain.
And with that I shall end this post. GOOD LUCK! :D

While all that may be true consider this situation I saw.
It was Pit vs. Metanight they were both high percents and had one stock left. All items were on. Pit was able to sebd MK off the top while he was flying into a star a bomb-omb appeared above Pit. It fell on him blew up and Pit flew to the side. He was killed before MK was. Meta won even though pit should have and would have won if not for a bomb omb he had no control over. Pit should have won but due to Luck Meta did. Now what if money were riding on this match an argument would break out. This is why items are banned.

Vyke

Smash Champion
While all that may be true consider this situation I saw.
It was Pit vs. Metanight they were both high percents and had one stock left. All items were on. Pit was able to sebd MK off the top while he was flying into a star a bomb-omb appeared above Pit. It fell on him blew up and Pit flew to the side. He was killed before MK was. Meta won even though pit should have and would have won if not for a bomb omb he had no control over. Pit should have won but due to Luck Meta did. Now what if money were riding on this match an argument would break out. This is why items are banned.
What? A bomb-omb doesn't just blow up after appearing, unless it's sudden death. It has to get up and walk around first. Did he just stand there, or something?

Top Bottom