• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why does Sakurai seem to hate Yoshi?

M.K

Level 55
All the characters need to be redone in a way that makes them equally good.
Considering the time, effort, and dedication associated with doing aforementioned, you would expect the next game to take alot longer to produce than Brawl ever did.'
And I personally believe Sakurai thinks all the characters ARE balanced. "Competitive what? Brawl? Not in my Japan!"

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
also a BETTER shield, the egg shield gimmick is horrible for yoshi
About this.
His shield is a double edge sword.
On one hand, it always covers him completely, you aren't going to shield poke a Yoshi.
To make counter act this, they took away yoshi's OOS options.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Personally, I think he is stuck down there because if they make any changes to Yoshi, they negative effects in the long usually, and because since he is so akward and has a high learning curve, not many people use him to his full potential. Personally I think he should be low-mid tier currently but nobody gives him a chance =(

JOE!

Smash Hero
he doesnt hate yoshi. he simply doesnt want to change the originol moveset for nostalgia, same with the rest of the original SB64 guys (except mario...)

the point is sakurai doesnt hate smash (its his biggest money make atm), he just doesnt design the game around teh way we paly it (balanced 1v1 no items, etc)

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
More like "Sakurai, why do you hate link". He's low tier in every single smash.

And Yoshi doesn't suck in ssb64 BTW. He's mid tier.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Link's case is worse.

Yoshi was good in 64, only low in Melee because of a high learning curve(like ness), and slightly nerfed in Brawl.

Meanwhile, link was arguably the worst in 64, ALMOST a mid tier in Melee, and then had a girlfriend, made love, got castrated, then she died during pregnancy and gave birth to a 12-year old boi who inherited all the skills he should have had in Brawl.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Link's case is worse.

Yoshi was good in 64, only low in Melee because of a high learning curve(like ness), and slightly nerfed in Brawl.

Meanwhile, link was arguably the worst in 64, ALMOST a mid tier in Melee, and then had a girlfriend, made love, got castrated, then she died during pregnancy and gave birth to a 12-year old boi who inherited all the skills he should have had in Brawl.
Ness' learning curve is no where near yoshis. Ness isn't THAT hard to play as. His attacks come out really fast so it's easy to DJC, but with yoshi, his attacks are all different, you have to stop at a different height for each DJC. yoshi is really, really hard to play in melee, ness is only kinda hard to play as.

ShinoBee

Smash Apprentice
Yoshi pisses me off. In Mario Party, he's like god**** god tier, and in every game that someone picked Yoshi, everyone would always gang up on him. That's why I'm happy he's not good in Brawl...

Except his final smash. That **** terrifies me. :[[[

Nestec

Smash Ace
lolwtf??

Ok, was that a joke, or were there actually significant differences between the characters in Mario Party? O.O

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Except his final smash. That **** terrifies me. :[[[
This is also important. Why? Because the game was designed with the final smash. Yoshi's aerial maneuverability allows him to very easily obtain the smash ball, arguably the best at it, since Jiggly has some trouble breaking the box.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
People people. Don't you get it by now, after 3 games.

Competitive play is now how the game is balanced. The tier list is not a reflection of the game's balance.

Link was nerfed in Brawl. If he was low tier, why is he worse in Brawl? No one bothered to ask eh? It's ok. I'll play my greatly balanced game while you guys play the broken version.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Link just has bad luck with fighting games.

he's even a bottom in SC2, for crying out loud(granted, they said it's one of the most balanced fighting games ever, but still o_O)

Y05H!

Smash Cadet
Yikes, I think you guy's are being a little rough on the guy. I really don't think Yoshi is THAT bad. He's got a CG, one of the best projectiles in the game (IMO), he's got pretty good tilts, his usmash covers all angles around him, and then theres the dragonis charge thingy which I'm yet to perfect, he's got the best survivability of any character (He's fairly heavy and his 2nd jump takes him just about anywhere). What he really need's is better kill oriented moves, and OoS would be nice and add more to his already defensive characteristics. The tier system is to much of a popularity contest, IMO, so to me it's taken with a grain of salt. MK an exception to that, of course.

If he had his melee dsmash and better OoS, in my opinion he'd be set.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
You really think Sakurai cares about the 20000 or so competative players, in comparison to the 10 million brawl copies sold. All he cares about is making each character unique, he doesn't give a **** about balance. Kirby and Yoshi are supposed to attract girls, Sonic and Snake are entered for the insecure patriots and Sonic fanboys and the rest is for ****s and giggles. Sakurai just wants the game to sell, not to be played.

Y05H!

Smash Cadet
You really think Sakurai cares about the 20000 or so competative players, in comparison to the 10 million brawl copies sold. All he cares about is making each character unique, he doesn't give a **** about balance. Kirby and Yoshi are supposed to attract girls, Sonic and Snake are entered for the insecure patriots and Sonic fanboys and the rest is for ****s and giggles. Sakurai just wants the game to sell, not to be played.
One of many reason's Nintendo's been dissapointing me lately. They try to tell people what's fun beside's giving the people what they want. Don't get me wrong, I still love thier games but competitve play is obviousely the future of gaming. Just look at Korea.

I lol'd at the insecure patriot's comment, though I don't exactly see how Kirby and Yoshi are meant to attract girls, especially when there are actual female characters to choose from <_<;;

And out of curiosity, is competitve Brawl as big in Japan as it is in North America and Europe? That could have alot to do with it.

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
Yoshi is quite underrated on the Brawl tier list. He's not very good, but he should be 4 or 5 spots higher.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I guess he does, because Yoshi doesn't have another character in the rouster, despite the fact he's been in Smash for a while. And he only get's one of the least amount of songs in Brawl?!? Sakurai doesn't like Yoshi at all..... XD

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Link just has bad luck with fighting games.

he's even a bottom in SC2, for crying out loud(granted, they said it's one of the most balanced fighting games ever, but still o_O)
No, Link was broken in Melee. If you played 4vs, you'd know. This is the reason his sword spin is a lot weaker in this game. His forward Smash has been nerfed. This is what I keep saying, the tier list isn't how the game is balanced. Why do you think Falco is still so good despite being top in Melee too. Why is Ness still bottom? No one ask these questions. Thus, everyone remains wrong.

What is wrong with competitive Brawl?
It's broken beyond belief. The game was balanced by the basic rules of 4 vs and items. The stages also fall into the mix as they effect everyone.

What happens in competative play is that they remove so much. The game is castrated. Items are removed. Some stages are taken out. And 4vs is changed to a one on one match. Thus, coupled with certain rules (like no sudden death) and certain techniques (like Snakes mortar slide) and the game falls apart. If you take out one element, it starts to be balanced again. It's a combination of everything. This is why Smash bros. as been called balanced despite the competitive community disagrees.

Nestec

Smash Ace
I guess he does, because Yoshi doesn't have another character in the rouster, despite the fact he's been in Smash for a while. And he only get's one of the least amount of songs in Brawl?!? Sakurai doesn't like Yoshi at all..... XD
He also has the smallest number of trophies in his series...

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
lolwtf??

Ok, was that a joke, or were there actually significant differences between the characters in Mario Party? O.O
Apparently there's something about Yoshi being the best Mario party character followed by Birdo, Luigi, etc. And the Worst being Boo. Lol it's all nonsense anyways :p

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
No, Link was broken in Melee. If you played 4vs, you'd know. This is the reason his sword spin is a lot weaker in this game. His forward Smash has been nerfed. This is what I keep saying, the tier list isn't how the game is balanced. Why do you think Falco is still so good despite being top in Melee too. Why is Ness still bottom? No one ask these questions. Thus, everyone remains wrong.

lmao, Link broken in melee? Wow, thats super scrubby son. The reason we don't play free for all is because people want thier dam money and they'll do anything to get it. People with gang up on the best player, kill him off, then go on to the next best player until it turns into a 1vs1. The only good thing link had in melee was his up-b and his recovery. His f-smash wasn't even that good, it's hard to hit against a good player.

Fine i'll ask a stupid quesion like you. Why is ness top tier in 64?

BG3

Smash Journeyman
lmao, Link broken in melee? Wow, thats super scrubby son. The reason we don't play free for all is because people want thier dam money and they'll do anything to get it. People with gang up on the best player, kill him off, then go on to the next best player until it turns into a 1vs1. The only good thing link had in melee was his up-b and his recovery. His f-smash wasn't even that good, it's hard to hit against a good player.

Fine i'll ask a stupid quesion like you. Why is ness top tier in 64?
Link definitely wasn't broken in melee, but he sure was **** good. Aniki FTW.

BG3

Smash Journeyman
Link was okay in melee, he should be mid tier imo. I love his playstyle.
Same. IMO, SSB64 Link and Melee Link were great characters to play as despite their tier placement. As for Brawl Link.......

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Insane recovery, great aerials, speed... his biggest problem was his high learning curve.
I know this. I second main ness in 64:laugh:. But the guy was saying how ness was low tier in melee and brawl and then I said he was top tier in 64 so stfu. Ness is really hard to learn but after you do, massive combos.

Top Bottom