• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why does Sakurai seem to hate Yoshi?

Trojan Donkey

Smash Cadet
Yoshi? Yoshi's a useless character!
If that is your opinion, so be it.

In my opinion, i totally disagree with you. There is no such thing as a useless character! All characters can be played equally if those people are dedicated into learning them. Even those that people thought as useless may be lethal if they have learned every single bit of that character.

The problem with Yoshi is only he is hard to use. When you know how to play him, he really can be a lethal opponent. Especially because it's airspeed, uber long jump, and fast speed while being a heavyweight character able to take massive punishments. I main him.

dainbramage

Smash Journeyman
If that is your opinion, so be it.

In my opinion, i totally disagree with you. There is no such thing as a useless character! All characters can be played equally if those people are dedicated into learning them. Even those that people thought as useless may be lethal if they have learned every single bit of that character.

The problem with Yoshi is only he is hard to use. When you know how to play him, he really can be a lethal opponent. Especially because it's airspeed, uber long jump, and fast speed while being a heavyweight character able to take massive punishments. I main him.
Tires don exits?

BrawLBlazer

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi used to be my main in Melee, but his new playstale doesn't really suit me in Brawl.
Yeah, I think Yoshi and Link should receive some major power-ups. Also, I think in the next installment, Mario should be Top Tier. I mean, he's the most popular video game character of all time.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I think people are missing the point that Smash wasn't meant to be competitive and the makers of this game wouldn't know about tier's at all. Also since Mario is suppose to be balanced in all his sports/spinoffs, he has no choice but to be mid tier in all his games. No higher, no lower.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
This is also important. Why? Because the game was designed with the final smash. Yoshi's aerial maneuverability allows him to very easily obtain the smash ball, arguably the best at it, since Jiggly has some trouble breaking the box.
Lucas is the best at getting the smash ball by a long shot. No contest there.

Insane recovery, great aerials, speed... his biggest problem was his high learning curve.
lol at insane recovery. His recovery was pretty terrible at high levels.

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
Maybe because Sakurai hates Yoshi games and said "How dooze Ieh ruined teh Dinasoar?!"

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Lucas is the best at getting the smash ball by a long shot. No contest there.
I don't know, Wario can get the Smashball within two hits, Ness's PK Thunder is much faster at getting to the Smashball. Zelda can easily get it with Din's Fire to.

JOE!

Smash Hero
charizard can 1-shot the Smashball

anyways, what would be neat is if Nintendo decided to get like a team of balancers, and make smash into a competitive fighter, not just a party game.

Also, @dainbramage:

Yoshi only has 2 bad matchups: Marth and G&W, both are easily workable and only 65/35 their favor, bareley a soft counter.

he also goes even with most of high tier

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Sakurai only hates one thing.....

Hell, minus Ganon, the bottom 7 spots are all veterans from SSB64...
Correct

Sakurai hates changing character move sets from game to game to adapt old characters to new playstyles. Meanwhile, he creates newcomers move sets with the engine and physics in mind making them inherently better.

That is why newcomeers are always and will always be in general better than vets.

Im not really sure what Sakurai hates, but I know he puts far more time and effort into newcomers than vets and the data supports it. Newcomers were made for Brawl and Vets were made for other games and really didnt get the proper amount of tweaking from day one. Characters like link who were bad in the original or characters like yoshi who eventually became bad, will continue to suck in the future of smash games if this isn't realized. (due to the nature of game making, I doubt this ever will be realized)

Volkner582

Smash Journeyman
I think people are missing the point that Smash wasn't meant to be competitive and the makers of this game wouldn't know about tier's at all. Also since Mario is suppose to be balanced in all his sports/spinoffs, he has no choice but to be mid tier in all his games. No higher, no lower.
TV Tropes uses the term "Mario" to refer to any perfectly balanced character in a game, proving this quote to be true.

Hive Mind

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai only hates one thing.....

Correct

Sakurai hates changing character move sets from game to game to adapt old characters to new playstyles. Meanwhile, he creates newcomers move sets with the engine and physics in mind making them inherently better.

That is why newcomeers are always and will always be in general better than vets.

Im not really sure what Sakurai hates, but I know he puts far more time and effort into newcomers than vets and the data supports it. Newcomers were made for Brawl and Vets were made for other games and really didnt get the proper amount of tweaking from day one. Characters like link who were bad in the original or characters like yoshi who eventually became bad, will continue to suck in the future of smash games if this isn't realized. (due to the nature of game making, I doubt this ever will be realized)
Hopefully, the next guy to (double hopefully) continue the smash series will have a different perspective.

Sakurai leaving the series is a blessing in disguise.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Funny how Yoshi and Link have never been above the mid tier position in all of their Smash Bros. appearances. Link was only better than Yoshi once, while he stunk real bad in the other games.

Trojan Donkey

Smash Cadet
Well the "i don't wanna change their moveset" can't be an excuse for a problem like this. Note that the top three spots was now being held by all newcomers and the highest ranking original 12 is Kirby (or Weegee???). If he don't change the moveset, how about if he tweaked it???

Just a suggestion from me off course.

GreenFox

Smash Ace
It does him right for all the times I lost to Yoshi in Mario Kart and Mario party.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
It does him right for all the times I lost to Yoshi in Mario Kart and Mario party.
Strangely, in Mario Party Yoshi is suppose to be the best character because of his speed, and height fit's perfectly for all the mini games played. Most people wouldn't noticed because playing each character on Mario Party wouldn't make a difference, but it really is when you look closely on Mario Party games above or around 6. Yoshi is the tippety top of the tier list on Mario Party, lol.

On Mario Kart DS he was one of the best, the rest of the Mario Kart he was middle.

bleyva

Smash Ace
i love shy guys, i think they are a symbol of the eternal underling in our society.....and for how yoshi senselessly massacred them in yoshi's island, he DESERVES bottom tier.

BSP

Smash Legend
Strangely, in Mario Party Yoshi is suppose to be the best character because of his speed, and height fit's perfectly for all the mini games played. Most people wouldn't noticed because playing each character on Mario Party wouldn't make a difference, but it really is when you look closely on Mario Party games above or around 6. Yoshi is the tippety top of the tier list on Mario Party, lol.

On Mario Kart DS he was one of the best, the rest of the Mario Kart he was middle.
Are you serious? I didnt know Mario Party has a tier list. I always used Luigi, but I didn't know there were actual differences.

And how exactly does yoshi deserve bottom tier? He got rid of the shy guys cause they were in his way of saving baby luigi.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Are you serious? I didnt know Mario Party has a tier list. I always used Luigi, but I didn't know there were actual differences.
Not many people does because it's a minor difference, as for the Mario Party 8 tier list would look something like this:

Top Tier
Yoshi
Birdo
Blooper

High Tier
Luigi
Waluigi
Daisy
Peach

Middle Tier
Mario
Toad
Hammer Bro
Toadette

Low Tier
Dry Bones
Wario
Boo​
So far this is the most accreted list I've seen and the one I most agree with on Mario Party 8. Mario Party 7 would look something similar to this but without Blooper and Hammer Bro, but they do have a character orb tier list because the character you pick has a different character orb that others don't:

Epic Character Orbs

Magic Orb- It's effect was that when used, doubled the number rolled on the Dice Block, and turned them invisible, making them bypass all roadblock traps on the board. This effect also lasted for two turns. (Boo and Dry Bones only)

Great Character Orbs

Flower Orb- When used, the player receives three Coins for each space they pass on their roll of the Dice Block, and bypasses any roadblock traps for that turn. (Peach and Daisy only)

Triple Shroom Orb- It's effect was that the player rolled twice like a normal Mushroom Orb, except they were able to do that three turns in a row. This Orb was great for combing the board quickly. (Toad and Toadette only)

Good/Bad Character Orbs

Vacuum Orb- Its effect, when used by a player, is to suck up a number of coins (determined by the roulette wheel) from the other opponents up to 1, 5, and 10 coins. (Wario and Waluigi only)

Egg Orb- It's effect was that as the player went took their turn, they ate (or sucked up if Birdo) any Character Spaces that they crossed. When their turn was done, the spaces were turned back into orbs that Yoshi and Birdo could use. The Egg Orb was also practical in the elimination of Koopa Kid Spaces. (Yoshi and Birdo only)

Worst Character Orbs

Fireball Orb- It's effect was that the player got surrounded by fireballs. As they went around the board, they threw fireballs at opponents that were in their way, getting 10 Coins from each. (Mario and Luigi only)
And that's the hidden surprise to a lot of people that wouldn't expect that Mario Party didn't have a tier list. =P

Top Bottom