• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why does Sakurai seem to hate Yoshi?

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
People have complained before about Link getting shafted in the Smash Bros. series, but IMO Yoshi seems to suffer from that more than anyone.

Look at it this way. Yoshi is the only character to be in the bottom 6 in the tier list in both Melee and Brawl. The majority of returning characters who were bottom tier in Melee got buffed a fair bit (in particular Kirby and Mr. Game and Watch), yet for Yoshi he's now even worse than in Melee, even though he was bottom tier in the first place.

The only other character to be shafted in both Melee and Brawl is Ness, and at least he was top tier in the original 64 game, whereas Yoshi was lower-mid. I can't help but wonder if they deliberately make Yoshi suck in each game...

What's the point in this thread? Nothing really. I just wanted to moan about it a bit. IMO, they should make him god tier in Brawl+ to make up for it. ;)

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Hahah yeah, Yoshi sucks in all the games, but hey, this has nothing to do with Sakurai...

Yet it also has everything to do with Sakurai!

But it ain't Yoshi hate

It's just that he made the game to be casual so maybe Yoshi is just supposed to be fun and cute rather than a great character!!!

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
CURSE YOU SAKURAI!

Its not just Yoshi. Its Link, Ganon, Jiggs, Samus, CF, and MK, Snake, Falco, Marth (^^), etc. And I have to say that I'm sort of glad Yoshi's not that great. he's already annoying to fight IMO.

Sails

Smash Ace
I would call it SSB64's fault. Sakurai isn't going to make major changes to the movesets they already had just for balance.

salaboB

Smash Champion
I would call it SSB64's fault. Sakurai isn't going to make major changes to the movesets they already had just for balance.
He didn't have to smack so many of Yoshi's moves, though.

Ahh, Melee...where Yoshi's dsmash actually had some real range to it.

TP

Smash Master
The majority of returning characters from Melee got buffed a fair bit (in particular Kirby and Mr. Game and Watch)
Have you noticed that returning characters make up ALL of the bottom 8 spots on the tier list, while only 1 is in S Tier?

:034:

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
We can only hope SSB4 is more balanced, so we don't have these MK Polls or hacked copies.

day-day

Smash Ace
Yoshi was good in 64.
His moves don't make sense now.
I'm with you on that. Yoshi was like one of few characters I was good with in 64. I don't take him serious that much anymore especially CPU Yoshi's when they use his side-b. They roll off the stage every single time. The Yoshi's I play on wi-fi aren't much better either.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
OP it has to do with the gimmicks that Yoshi originally had from his games and how they translate over to a fighting game...his gimmicks arent very solid in Smash. I wish he could at least tether the ledge with his tougne or do attacks with it you know?

Smash Hero
I feel Yoshi has a better track record than Link does.. Yoshi was still mid tier in 64, where Link was really scraping the bottom of the barrel. Then Link got to low tier, now he's back to bottom. Watch:

Link:
1 low tier
2 bottom tier

Yoshi:
1 mid tier
2 bottom tier

They share amounts of bottoms, but Yoshi has a mid tier placing and Link a low tier. Mid > low, so... yeah.

day-day

Smash Ace
Well what can yoshi get to make him better besides a tether recovery? :confused:
I don't think there's much help for link at the moment. Would be sad if it took 3 games just so Link could get out of bottom tier.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Make his tongue (oth in grab and neutral special) like as long as Sheik's chain.

Make his neutral special create an egg item, with the foe inside, that can be tossed

Have Side Special have more priorety or super armor

Alrgureth

Smash Journeyman
Make his tongue (oth in grab and neutral special) like as long as Sheik's chain.

Make his neutral special create an egg item, with the foe inside, that can be tossed

I could see those working well. His grab and neutral special could keep the short tongue, but he could have a tether/zair with it thats much longer.

Being able to throw people would definitely help with possible gimping or just getting people off the edge.

idk about the side special.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
Sakurai would never intentionally make some characters worse than others!

Do you honestly think he would check to see if the game was balanced before it realeased?

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
That would be cool if Yoshi's tongue could be used as a tether but is his tongue even long enough to reach the ledge?
uh..dude have you even used yoshi? his tongue is REALLY long, it would put ivysaurs vines to shame

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599

also a BETTER shield, the egg shield gimmick is horrible for yoshi

JUDGE

Smash Lord
hmmmm....didn't noticed it but yeah nao that you mention it.......
but still....he has at least a good pivot grab^^
aaaand i think link is worse

Grandiazero

Smash Rookie
sakurai is way into the kirby series. brawl is losing it's touch. he made melee way better and it stll rocks today. i love melee. i hardy use any of the kirby characters.

Volkner582

Smash Journeyman
All the characters need to be redone in a way that makes them equally good.

GTA_Hater_331

Smash Journeyman
When I played as Yoshi in Brawl, I never had any problems. It was really only in Melee that I couldn't play as Yoshi.

Moozle

Smash Champion
Because he's a male who lays eggs.
Lmao, that about answers it. But it is my opinion that Yoshi should be much higher than he is on the tier list (well maybe not much higher). There is nothing terrible about him that really sticks out as being bad, or any major thing that he lacks.

Craeter

Smash Apprentice
Yoshi mains actually scare me a bit... and it's not because they're in love with a male dinosaur that lays eggs. Actually, that too.

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
Well at least Yoshi has a second jump that can save him. Link has nothing that could help him, I mean if he is fighting a jigglypuff. ALl jiggs have to do is grab link, toss him away from the stage then use her favorite Ariel :laugh:. Link's recovery is that bad, and you would think his tether would be just a bit longer >_>

day-day

Smash Ace
Well at least Yoshi has a second jump that can save him. Link has nothing that could help him, I mean if he is fighting a jigglypuff. ALl jiggs have to do is grab link, toss him away from the stage then use her favorite Ariel :laugh:. Link's recovery is that bad, and you would think his tether would be just a bit longer >_>
Yea, I don't think there's much help for Link in this game. Maybe a miracle will happen if SSB4 is made and he has a decent recovery. Yoshi's got mad hops I'll give him that lol

Top Bottom