• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do people think Charizard sucks?

Charizard92

Smash Champion
OK, let me rephrase this: Squirtle has lost his reliability because the other two have gained theirs. Here's how I'd put it: Originally, before the meta game was developed (well, at least to a good degree), Squirtle seemed pretty good, but Charizard was seen as rather horrible, and Ivysaur was OK. Around when this thread was born (or because, as it's practically impossible to determine cause in science, but correlation is rather easy to find), people started to realize that Charizard is a pretty good character, Potentially better than Squirtle (At the time at least), so doubts went to Ivysaur. Turned out that most of this was just because Ivysaur is rather hard to learn, so the learning curve was eliminated as a factor of reliability. This, unfortunately, took Squirtle down a peg or two and When he started out on top, the shift in reliability in the other two took it's toll, and a thread similar to this one for Squirtle was formed to try to do the same thing, but success wasn't as high. If I'd didn't get on the wrong foot when talking to you, this would have turned out MUCH better. OK, I have a general rule of thumb for people who think about Maining PT, here it is:

Squirtle is easy to learn, but isn't that powerful

Ivysaur has a pretty good defense, but is hard to learn

Charizard is very powerful, but defense is somewhat low, namely due to his size.

Does that help?

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
That does indeed clarify things. And I would certainly say that, if each Pokemon were individual characters that had nothing to do with each other, I would use the other two over Squirtle.

KcajandPopo

Smash Cadet
When I play as PT, this is how my matches will go (if I start out w/ Squirt that is)
Stock 1: Squirtle: Will get opponent to maximum of 70% (usually below 50) then die XD
Stock 2: Ivy: Sometimes I just **** w/ Ivy. Worst case is Squirt hardly damages them, then I get gimped. Usually I'll drop a stock and get them up to around 10-40%. Best I'll do is kill em twice, although I've only done that a handful of times (I don't really play PT too much)
Stock 3: Charizard: UP THE BUTT!! I will kill them. Period. It's over. One time, got the opponent to 75% ish damage, died twice, came in w/ Charizard....killed them only taking 30ish damage. It was over 3 mins, so I couldn't save =(
ANYWAYS....Charizard is a beast, Ivy can be a beast, and Squirtle is a little p***y...at least w/ me that's how it works.
Plus, I never have trouble connecting w/ Char's fsmash, unlike Ike, Bowser, DK, or god forbid....DEDEDE!
Charizard is the best tank in the Smash Bros. Series....by far!

Miles.

Smash Champion
When I play as PT, this is how my matches will go (if I start out w/ Squirt that is)
Stock 1: Squirtle: Will get opponent to maximum of 70% (usually below 50) then die XD
Stock 2: Ivy: Sometimes I just **** w/ Ivy. Worst case is Squirt hardly damages them, then I get gimped. Usually I'll drop a stock and get them up to around 10-40%. Best I'll do is kill em twice, although I've only done that a handful of times (I don't really play PT too much)
Stock 3: Charizard: UP THE BUTT!! I will kill them. Period. It's over. One time, got the opponent to 75% ish damage, died twice, came in w/ Charizard....killed them only taking 30ish damage. It was over 3 mins, so I couldn't save =(
ANYWAYS....Charizard is a beast, Ivy can be a beast, and Squirtle is a little p***y...at least w/ me that's how it works.
Plus, I never have trouble connecting w/ Char's fsmash, unlike Ike, Bowser, DK, or god forbid....DEDEDE!
Charizard is the best tank in the Smash Bros. Series....by far!
Snake and Dedede are better tanks. IMO Snake is the best.

Charizard is very powerful, but defense is somewhat low, namely due to his size.

Does that help?
You are playing Zard wrong then. Well spaced jabs, tilts, rocksmashs, and flamethrowers are a hella solid defense.

Levitas

the moon
losing 50% health just from switching into stealth rocks is really bad.

I just don't see charizard as viable anymore, his typing is horrible.

Alopex

Smash Ace
Levitas is LOL.

Platinum needs to have a lot more Pokemon learning Rapid Spin in order to keep pocket monsters like Charizard still viable in the OU tier. Poor rock-weaks.

Charizard in Brawl is the best of the 3, though.
Pikachu owns Squirtle, and Bowser owns Ivysaur. Only Mario beats Charizard. FLUDD is so OP.

infernovia

Smash Ace
losing 50% health just from switching into stealth rocks is really bad.

I just don't see charizard as viable anymore, his typing is horrible.
Losing 50% of your health can have a gimmick moveset. Like activating salac/petaya berry. Sandstorm is a ***** though.

But yeah, he lost his coolness.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Well, in game this is kinda true, but we're not talking about in game, we're talking about Brawl! oh, and the low defense, I couldn't come up with a balancing thing so now I'll revise it.

Squirtle is easy to learn but isn't very strong

Ivysaur is defensive but is hard to learn

Charizard is Strong but is Large.

HAPPY NOW!

SmashKing67

Smash Cadet
Okay, first things, first, this is my first thread so I'm trying my best not to make a spam thread or break any rules from the start so can you be easy on me for now.

Now, when I was a guest I saw a ton of posts & threads saying that Charizard is a lackluster character on the P. Trainer's team, only to be used to use in case the other two have problems or the damage meter is high. But I pretty much mastered Charizard and in my eyes, he's the best of the three.

Please post here, if you disagree, one flaw you see on Charizard and I'll try my best to argue otherwise, provided that I quickly learn how to post.

If you do agree with me that Charizard doesn't suck, you can help, as I am new and I am at the start of the learning curve.'

Either way, thanks for posting on my first thread.

Okay, Charizard DOESN'T suck, he rocks. Also, I'm gonna start a club for people who think that the Pokemon Trainer sucks, well, THEY suck! Thank you.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
After playing with P.T. for a while, I find that Charizard doesn't need to be called out very often. But when he IS needed, he does his heavyweight job very well.

Too vague? Here's my summary:

-Squirtle started it with his Ninja skills.

-Ivysaur racked it up with range that gave chills.

-Charizard FINISHED it with hard-hitting KILLS.

Onxy

Smash Lord
After playing with P.T. for a while, I find that Charizard doesn't need to be called out very often. But when he IS needed, he does his heavyweight job very well.

Too vague? Here's my summary:

-Squirtle started it with his Ninja skills.

-Ivysaur racked it up with range that gave chills.

-Charizard FINISHED it with hard-hitting KILLS.
Choose your Pokemon to manage matchups, not for that old pattern that was thought of at the beginning of Brawl.

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
YOU R DOIN IT WRONG!!!! LOL... seriously, start playing with matcup-based changes and starting pokemon, it will be hard at first, but the reward is very good, and you feel smart playing that way... :D

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Yep. Onxy is right (which happens.. you know what, I haven't even started counting, you're free this time Onxy...)

Top Bottom