• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Why do people hate the 3DS Smash Bros. so much?!?!

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
Yeah right now it's not possible for me to get the Wii U version either as I can't afford the system yet. I do have a 3DS XL so I'm happy that I can still enjoy Smash Bros on the 3DS anyway and enjoy all the new characters and 3DS exclusive stages and features etc. Besides it's Smash Bros on the go. A dream come true for someone like me who is away from home for a very long while every weekday. :D
I love having Smash on the go that means I can kick my brothers butt on the go and epicly getting myself killed somehow.......Cause Link's recovery is kind of sucky.....Yea...............I love it especially if were going to places like Norfolk just pop out my 3DS and boom I jut don't stop playing it :D I kind of want a 3DS XL for Smash because of Better battery life which means more gameplay :D and other stuff to.....

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
I said that I currently can't afford the Wii U console itself, not the game. Though yeah, 3DS games are cheaper than Wii U games of course.

Yeah, it kind of goes hand in hand. The Wii U console is $100+ more expensive and has much more pricey games.

JetpackX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JetpackX
3DS FC
0877-2713-1529
I think that people who are looking to play Smash on-the-go or for players who can't afford the Wii U, will buy the 3DS version. I also think that the people who are playing Smash in tournaments or those who wish to play competitively or at home will buy the Wii U version.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I think that people who are looking to play Smash on-the-go or for players who can't afford the Wii U, will buy the 3DS version. I also think that the people who are playing Smash in tournaments or those who wish to play competitively or at home will buy the Wii U version.

Hey, that really depends, 3DS has some advantages for tournaments too.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
3DS will definitely have a competitive scenen.

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
Why would 3ds not have a competitive scene ;D :mewtwomelee: u know when u see him...........u know **** just got real!

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Why would 3ds not have a competitive scene ;D :mewtwomelee: u know when u see him...........u know **** just got real!
People just assume that it can't be done because they have the traditional way glued into their head. Even though the 3DS has been shown to be able to have easier tournaments. Also the fact that Nintendo makes the best handhelds shows that Smash is fated to become a handheld only game in the future.

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
People just assume that it can't be done because they have the traditional way glued into their head. Even though the 3DS has been shown to be able to have easier tournaments. Also the fact that Nintendo makes the best handhelds shows that Smash is fated to become a handheld only game in the future.
Glued into there head eh? Well i'm about to glue something new to there head :>................U know wat it's 3:00 AM here i'm pretty tired..................and when my crappy jokes kick in

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409

The biggest issues are lag in between 3DS's and the small screen. If a Wii U's available, I'm guessing most people would opt for it as opposed to a 3DS.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
The biggest issues are lag in between 3DS's and the small screen. If a Wii U's available, I'm guessing most people would opt for it as opposed to a 3DS.
I don't think local multiplayer would be a problem, especially when it is most likely gonna be 1v1. A simple game like Smash shouldn't cause lag, unless you go with characters like IC's or Oimar and go in stages where a bunch of stuff happen.

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
Most people hate it because Sakurai said the rosters will have the same number, and because they don't think the 3DS has the power to handle all the data Smash Bros. has. Therefore, they think it'll limit the number of characters it'll have.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I doubt Sakurai is gonna try to fill the Wii U version all the way anyways. Also, no loading time for the 3DS version!

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
I personally can't wait, I mean come on people, HANDHELD SMASH!!! The ability to play smash bros. anywhere you want (outside, on a plane, etc.) is something that I've always wanted. Plus it's my favorite series of games, so I'll buy any new game they throw out there.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Because people irationally think that the 3DS will make the roster small. When evidence has been provided multiple times that this is not the case. e_e The only problem with the 3DS is that it has limitations on characters such as ICs, meaning if they can't get around that problem those characters will probably jsut become single ones instead of having a AI or something like that, but they probably won't allow the Wii-U version to get held back to those limitations. People just inherently think handhelds are worse and hold back the console version no matter what. They should be glad they are even getting a console version as I believe Sakurai thought about going handheld only for a while. lol
To add on to my very first post in this topic, since this topic is amazingly still alive. People also irrationally think the 3DS version is just holding back stuff in general from the console version. Even though generally the so called "proof" they try to use is just a misunderstanding of what was actually said, twisting Sakurai words, or taking what the interviewer speculated over towards the end of said interview when the interviewee never said such a thing. I guess people just don't like to read correctly still.

I am also amazed this topic is still alive lol.

Thor

Smash Champion
mimgrim said:
I am also amazed this topic is still alive lol.
I kind of am too (I arrived late and didn't comment until now) but I'll just say that the price constraint thing for me is backwards - I have a 3DS because I wanted one but never had a reason to buy a Wii U (back when Wiis were hot I wanted a Wii because of like 5 games and two of them were Melee and Brawl). So I can drop $50/whatever the price will be ($50 would be high but I'd pay it) for handheld Smash, even if it's not "competitive" or whatever (I want to be competitive, no doubt) just because I enjoy the game (it's why I have this trashy SSB emulator on my computer even though I can't short-hop XD). I think I would actually be part of the audience Sakurai is appealing to - people who think Smash is/looks cool and have a 3DS but don't want to drop money for a Wii U. At the same time I can understand the idea that data constraints might hold back the Wii U so I can't necessarily dislike people who say the Wii U is being held back. I don't have enough info on that particular debate to comment but I always want high performance and if someone thinks the game is compromised to try to increase profits, I'm not going to be mad at them for voicing an opinion (although I have no problem informing them of why their argument is irrational). Personal opinion (not too informed): given the comments Sakurai made about hand-held stuff, it seems like Sakurai would just try to make a good 3DS game and then scale up graphics for the Wii U game - in that regard the Wii U is more of a tag-along "yay we get the game too" instead of "boo the 3DS holds us back", but people don't seem to think of it this way.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
The reason Im kindof irritated by it is because its holding back **** in the WiiU version for some reason. I dont hate it but its annoying.

Why? Sakurai more than likely clearly laid out what he wants in the Wii U and 3DS versions. You can't hold anything back on something that's living up to what it's meant to be.

It'd be the same as saying a release date was holding back the Wii U game if it were the only one. Not to mention the 3DS version will probably make the most profit out of the two, so Sakurai could very well want to focus on 3DS while the Wii U holds it back.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I'm getting both versions.

And I find it ridiculous that anyone legitimately thinks the 3DS version will "hold back" the Wii U version. :rolleyes:

BigTheTank

Smash Rookie
Might as well make my first post on these boards a good one (I think I'm a bit late to the scene?)

Anyways, I think the mindset of "handhelds are going to be worse" is a wrong to have. Example...Mortal Kombat 9 on the Vita. It's been hailed as the best version of the game, infact many say that the PS Vita version was the one that is used for the PC version. Sure the Vita and 3DS have totally different specs, but it shows that fighters on hand held consoles aren't always bad.
Yes, limitations will obviously be present, but I don't think they will be severe as most people would think. I personally will be getting the new Smash on the 3DS first. I don't own a Wii U, and I really don't believe in buying a pricey console just for one game. I already get tons of play time out of my 3DS as is, so it's just the better purchase.

On a side note, where could I get the SSB4 Character images for my sig, like the Kind Kikwi-Kiwi has, or Horsetail. Thanks guys!

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Anyways, I think the mindset of "handhelds are going to be worse" is a wrong to have..
I'd agree with this. The Golden Sun games, more notably on GBA, showed how developers could push the hardware and deliver an experience similar to that of a handheld. During that era, Gamecube (if we're just comparing Nintendo systems) had a HUGE lack off good RPGs, let alone any. I also think the 3DS version will have limitations, but with these limitations, the way it actually "plays" could be different from the Wii U version. By that I mean mainly the physics.

If they utilized SpotPass somehow for the game, this would be a handheld-specific use of the game, offering something that the WiiU couldn't. The 3DS gets the best of both worlds in this case since it can sense nearby players/events with the addition of sensing these over Wi-Fi.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Why is that?

I am also getting both versions. I just want to hear your reasoning.
To have Smash on the go, to be able to play in bed or on the bus. Also for the customization aspect, the connectivity between the two versions. Additionally, they'll have different stages and probably different game modes, and I want to experience both. Plus since I have a 3DS and a Wii U already, I won't have to buy a new console or anything.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I know I don't hate it. Considering it's the only version I'm getting.

I just hope it controls wells.

Morbi

Scavenger
To have Smash on the go, to be able to play in bed or on the bus. Also for the customization aspect, the connectivity between the two versions. Additionally, they'll have different stages and probably different game modes, and I want to experience both. Plus since I have a 3DS and a Wii U already, I won't have to buy a new console or anything.
I meant your second notion.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I meant your second notion.
Oh.

Because there's no issues with space, and there's probably not gonna be issues with power. The game will probably push the 3DS pretty hard, but there's no reason to believe it can't run a good Smash Bros. game. It can hold a lot of content, and it's more powerful than people think it is. Other fighting games run on it just fine. Sakurai mentioned having some issues with characters like Olimar, but I have confidence they'll be able to get it to work. Olimar was confirmed, after all, so they must have sorted out whatever issues they were having.

Basically, there's no reason to expect the 3DS version to affect the Wii U version. The only things they'll be sharing are characters and physics. Stages and game modes won't be shared between the two versions. Yeah, we can probably expect some simpler stages and game modes on the 3DS, but that won't affect development of the Wii U version. And either way, from what I understand, the 3DS is comparably powerful (a tad weaker) to the Wii, which ran Brawl very well. So I think assumptions that the Wii U version will be held back by the 3DS version are baseless.

Morbi

Scavenger
Oh.

Because there's no issues with space, and there's probably not gonna be issues with power. The game will probably push the 3DS pretty hard, but there's no reason to believe it can't run a good Smash Bros. game. It can hold a lot of content, and it's more powerful than people think it is. Other fighting games run on it just fine. Sakurai mentioned having some issues with characters like Olimar, but I have confidence they'll be able to get it to work. Olimar was confirmed, after all, so they must have sorted out whatever issues they were having.

Basically, there's no reason to expect the 3DS version to affect the Wii U version. The only things they'll be sharing are characters and physics. Stages and game modes won't be shared between the two versions. Yeah, we can probably expect some simpler stages and game modes on the 3DS, but that won't affect development of the Wii U version. And either way, from what I understand, the 3DS is comparably powerful (a tad weaker) to the Wii, which ran Brawl very well. So I think assumptions that the Wii U version will be held back by the 3DS version are baseless.
Ah, I see. Thank you for that elaboration. I agree to an extent. Everything you said has a rational basis; however, I think one of the inherent premises is that it WILL take development time away from the Wii U version. Not because it is inferior, not because there isn't enough time, not because it needs any special work. I mostly believe so because it literally requires another team or time focused on its development. That is all I am really getting at. I hope that the 3DS version is great, it is the one I am going to be playing solo for the majority of the time. I am very curious to see some of the differences upon launch. So I don't want it to fail, but is obvious that the system cannot handle everything that the Wii U can handle. I am a little worried that they will cut some stuff that was just extra on the Wii U version just to accommodate the 3DS, nothing major, but I have that feeling. It is what most competent developers would do (within reason).

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Ah, I see. Thank you for that elaboration. I agree to an extent. Everything you said has a rational basis; however, I think one of the inherent premises is that it WILL take development time away from the Wii U version. Not because it is inferior, not because there isn't enough time, not because it needs any special work. I mostly believe so because it literally requires another team or time focused on its development. That is all I am really getting at. I hope that the 3DS version is great, it is the one I am going to be playing solo for the majority of the time. I am very curious to see some of the differences upon launch. So I don't want it to fail, but is obvious that the system cannot handle everything that the Wii U can handle. I am a little worried that they will cut some stuff that was just extra on the Wii U version just to accommodate the 3DS, nothing major, but I have that feeling. It is what most competent developers would do (within reason).
I think the workload was planned to be split from the start though. They have two separate teams who probably only share interactions with Sakurai in terms of working together. Maybe they will end up having to cut minor things from one version or the other, but it's always been very clear that the only things shared will be characters; I think both versions will have game modes and such that cater to the platform they're on. The Wii U version would likely have a more expansive adventure mode, for example, and would be planned that way from the start, rather than attempting an ambitious story on the weaker system.

I dunno. I assume anything cut would be minor; Sakurai has no problems pushing back release dates if something needs more work, and I believe he even went on record and said that if need be, the versions could release independently of one another to give more time to one. Your concerns make sense too, but I think it will all turn out well enough..

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I think the workload was planned to be split from the start though. They have two separate teams who probably only share interactions with Sakurai in terms of working together. Maybe they will end up having to cut minor things from one version or the other, but it's always been very clear that the only things shared will be characters; I think both versions will have game modes and such that cater to the platform they're on. The Wii U version would likely have a more expansive adventure mode, for example, and would be planned that way from the start, rather than attempting an ambitious story on the weaker system.

I dunno. I assume anything cut would be minor; Sakurai has no problems pushing back release dates if something needs more work, and I believe he even went on record and said that if need be, the versions could release independently of one another to give more time to one. Your concerns make sense too, but I think it will all turn out well enough..
Wait, I thought the Wii U version wasn't going to have an adventure mode? (Granted I heard about this in July, see: http://kotaku.com/the-next-super-smash-bros-wont-have-a-story-mode-or-c-906856304) However I do agree with you, Sakurai surely doesn't have a problem pushing back release dates as we all saw with Brawl haha. The one major difference I'm wondering about will be how will the 3DS make up for the screen size on a standard TV? I don't mean HD--whatever to that, really-- but let's think about some of the more elaborate stages we've seen in Smash history, like New prok City or the Temple stage from Melee. While neither of these are used in competitve play, they're still fun for casuals. I'm also concerned how the 3DS will be able to keep all four characters on the same screen without sacrificing visual quality. I'm not saying that the final product will be a mess or anything, but I am interested in how they plan to overcome these hurdles.

I would say that game modes would definitely be based on the system, and the stages reflect this. I can see the Wii U version being a bit more expansive than the 3DS in some areas, but I think the as a whole the games will take on a "similar but different" tone from one another.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Wait, I thought the Wii U version wasn't going to have an adventure mode? (Granted I heard about this in July, see: http://kotaku.com/the-next-super-smash-bros-wont-have-a-story-mode-or-c-906856304) However I do agree with you, Sakurai surely doesn't have a problem pushing back release dates as we all saw with Brawl haha. The one major difference I'm wondering about will be how will the 3DS make up for the screen size on a standard TV? I don't mean HD--whatever to that, really-- but let's think about some of the more elaborate stages we've seen in Smash history, like New prok City or the Temple stage from Melee. While neither of these are used in competitve play, they're still fun for casuals. I'm also concerned how the 3DS will be able to keep all four characters on the same screen without sacrificing visual quality. I'm not saying that the final product will be a mess or anything, but I am interested in how they plan to overcome these hurdles.

I would say that game modes would definitely be based on the system, and the stages reflect this. I can see the Wii U version being a bit more expansive than the 3DS in some areas, but I think the as a whole the games will take on a "similar but different" tone from one another.
The Wii U version won't have another SsE, but I imagine it'll have an adventure mode like Melee's. Hopefully, anyway. They'll probably both have adventures, actually, but I'd imagine the Wii U's version would be much bigger.

Yeah, the 3DS version will most likely have smaller and simpler stages, but we can probably still have at least one decent-sized stage. I'm not too worried about the characters either; even in the past games, the camera often zoomed out really far to accommodate four players, so it should be just as doable here. Additionally, perhaps the HUD (lives and percentages) could be put on the bottom screen to clear space on the top, which would help reduce the clutter.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Hero_42 said:
...Perhaps the HUD (lives and percentages) could be put on the bottom screen to clear space on the top, which would help reduce the clutter.
Remember when I forgot how the 3DS had two screens? Yeah, me too. I never even thought about that, heh. That would be ideal! That also makes me think of the possibility of a stage that could span both screens, or an adventure mode that does something similar. And yes definitely agreeing with you on the stance Wii U's adventure will probably be more expansive. However, I can even imagine the two versions having different stories altogether.

On a side note, does anyone have any idea why when I quote the person who actually said the quote isn't in the box. I put it in this time via typing it, but for whatever reason it doesn't show up normally.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Remember when I forgot how the 3DS had two screens? Yeah, me too. I never even thought about that, heh. That would be ideal! That also makes me think of the possibility of a stage that could span both screens, or an adventure mode that does something similar. And yes definitely agreeing with you on the stance Wii U's adventure will probably be more expansive. However, I can even imagine the two versions having different stories altogether.

On a side note, does anyone have any idea why when I quote the person who actually said the quote isn't in the box. I put it in this time via typing it, but for whatever reason it doesn't show up normally.
Heh, well, it's not exactly standard for a system to have multiple screens. :p Either way, the bottom screen would work pretty well. You wouldn't have to glance down much further than usual to see the HUD. There could probably be game modes that utilize both screens as well.

All you're doing is hitting Reply, right? And then typing outside the quoted area? I've never seen this problem before.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Heh, well, it's not exactly standard for a system to have multiple screens. :p Either way, the bottom screen would work pretty well. You wouldn't have to glance down much further than usual to see the HUD. There could probably be game modes that utilize both screens as well.

All you're doing is hitting Reply, right? And then typing outside the quoted area? I've never seen this problem before.

WOW okay I just figured it out. I wasn't hitting reply, just typing in the box below. Forgive me, I haven't been active in a while, and when I was I usually read instead of posted.

Anyways yes, the bottom screen would be perfect for HUD, and it also would help reduce clutter in the top screen. I would guess Time would be down there too, as well as things like Coins in a Coin Battle (if they brought that back). I could see Sakurai doing something with Trophies that wold utilize both screens after the massive revamp of getting Trophies from Brawl to Melee (the lottery versus that crazy shooting thing, which was enjoyable).

All this being said, do you think the soundtracks will differ? I don't even know if the main theme would be the same for both games. I could see an arrangement of it being used for the 3DS, and the main on WiiU, or something like that. Not saying that more music is bad in any case, though.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Anyways yes, the bottom screen would be perfect for HUD, and it also would help reduce clutter in the top screen. I would guess Time would be down there too, as well as things like Coins in a Coin Battle (if they brought that back). I could see Sakurai doing something with Trophies that wold utilize both screens after the massive revamp of getting Trophies from Brawl to Melee (the lottery versus that crazy shooting thing, which was enjoyable).

All this being said, do you think the soundtracks will differ? I don't even know if the main theme would be the same for both games. I could see an arrangement of it being used for the 3DS, and the main on WiiU, or something like that. Not saying that more music is bad in any case, though.
Yeah, time, coins, stamina, etc. would all be down there, I assume. Maybe there will be another fun trophy game!

I'm sure the soundtracks will be pretty different, if only because there'll be very few stages shared from one version to the other. For example, they wouldn't put Skyloft's theme on the Gerudo Valley stage. There could be some fun remixes of the same song in both games though, like Ridley's theme or whatever.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Yeah, time, coins, stamina, etc. would all be down there, I assume. Maybe there will be another fun trophy game!

I'm sure the soundtracks will be pretty different, if only because there'll be very few stages shared from one version to the other. For example, they wouldn't put Skyloft's theme on the Gerudo Valley stage. There could be some fun remixes of the same song in both games though, like Ridley's theme or whatever.

Yes, exactly. I didn't know if he would be doing something like let's say Zelda home console stage, Zelda handheld equivalent. Use music from this game here, that game there. I hope he switches it up. He has said he wants to get more retro if I remember correctly, maybe it's possible we'll see things from older handhelds like Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages, the first Mario & Luigi games, or Metroid II, even.

Top Bottom