• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Why do people hate the 3DS Smash Bros. so much?!?!

ShowdownBro721

Smash Rookie
Personally, I don't hate it since I haven't even played it, yet (I give a game a try before liking or hating it). Some people might bash on it because of the theories that the 3DS version might hold back the Wii U version in terms of the amount of playable characters, since Sakurai said that the number of characters will be the same in both versions. Other people might not hate it per say, but care more for the Wii U version since the franchise is mostly associated as a console game series.

I am more into the Wii U version because that's the only console of the two that I have. If I can get myself a 3DS, I'll definitely be sure to get this version as well!

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
*sigh* well their story mode is going to be different by what i read (again, correct me if I am wrong), so they could go all out on the wii u version and have a shorter story in the 3ds version
I actually hope they make the 3DS one as awesome as possible because I don't want to be dissipointed and think the Sakurai just didn't really try but I hope its as cool as Subspace and Melee's adventure mode since I will only be getting Smash on the 3DS because it's gonna be so epic O:

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I actually hope they make the 3DS one as awesome as possible because I don't want to be dissipointed and think the Sakurai just didn't really try but I hope its as cool as Subspace and Melee's adventure mode since I will only be getting Smash on the 3DS because it's gonna be so epic O:
I agree with you too. I am only getting the 3DS (might get the Wii U one, but just for my family). So, I would really want the 3DS version to be as awesome, but I think Sakurai might give the Wii U a longer story mode. Not because he favors it, but just because it holds more space and he could add a lot more stuff to it. I'm pretty sure he will try to make them both as good as the cartridge or disk can handle.

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
I agree with you too. I am only getting the 3DS (might get the Wii U one, but just for my family). So, I would really want the 3DS version to be as awesome, but I think Sakurai might give the Wii U a longer story mode. Not because he favors it, but just because it holds more space and he could add a lot more stuff to it. I'm pretty sure he will try to make them both as good as the cartridge or disk can handle.
I would agree with you on the Wii U story being longer. But I just hope he makes the story good on 3DS I won't even mind if it likes N64/Melee version of story because I liked both of the actually

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Wow, made this to ask why people hated it, and now I realized that most of the reasons people hate it aren't actual good reasons.

TheDivineDeity

Banned via Administration
Maybe because a portable system will NEVER ever be as advanced as a home console. To believe the 3DS will be as technologically advanced as the Wii U (look at the graphics!) is mindbogglingly idiotic..... That being said, with all the problems the 3DS is having for the Smash game (from the Ice Climbers being difficult to program to the WFT and Villager not even being shown on the 3DS), there are far too many problems with it. Brawl NEVER had this problem, so its pathetic that SSB4 does.

Honestly, I'd say just CUT THE LOSSES and get rid of the 3DS version. Don't downplay the potential of the Wii U JUST BECAUSE of a portable. :ohwell:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Maybe because a portable system will NEVER ever be as advanced as a home console. To believe the 3DS will be as technologically advanced as the Wii U (look at the graphics!) is mindbogglingly idiotic..... That being said, with all the problems the 3DS is having for the Smash game (from the Ice Climbers being difficult to program to the WFT and Villager not even being shown on the 3DS), there are far too many problems with it. Brawl NEVER had this problem, so its pathetic that SSB4 does.

Honestly, I'd say just CUT THE LOSSES and get rid of the 3DS version. Don't downplay the potential of the Wii U JUST BECAUSE of a portable. :ohwell:
Other then technical limitations of characters like ICs what problems? I really wanna he what all these problems you are talking about. So list them out for me. Also the reason for WFT and Villager not having 3DS screen shots is probably due to the 3DS not being as far in development, Sakurai has even said the 3DS might be released on a later dat. You should also note that it was originally considered to have Smash 4 3DS only meaning you should be thankful it is even getting on the Wii-U. But really aside from the one issue everyone knows about, limitations on characters like the IC, what are all these other problems that you claim there are?

mimgrim

Smash Hero
The ones I listed, in addition to the late release. You've missed the point I was making, though.
The only problem you issued was the limitations of the 3DS of characters like ICs. The 3DS not being as advance as the Wii-U isn't a problem because it is doubtful the 3DS version will hold back the Wii-U version. It getting a later release date also isn't a problem as it gives them more time to work out the game. The graphics are not an issue either, and shouldn't even matter, besides allot of people like the cel-shaded graphics, some even more then the Wii-U HD graphics. And no one believes the 3DS to be as advance as the Wii-U, however people seem to believe the 3DS will hol back the Wii-U when that is not the case. Next time give real problems when you say there are many problems that Smash4 is having when all we know about is the 3DS having limitations on characters like ICs.

TheDivineDeity

Banned via Administration
:lol: LOL on cel-shaded graphics > hi-def graphics.

I already gave my reasons, you're just avoiding them. IC aren't the only reasons, there's also the technical limitations on the 3DS hard drive, the lack of efficient memory storage system, the sheer amount of problems caused by multi-tasking performances by characters such as PKMN Trainer and IC, graphical downgrades from the previous generation, failed promises of keeping up with deadlines, and others escaping my mind, but most importantly - hving to buy another 3DS to play mutliplayer with a friend, rather than just get another controller for the Wii U. Of course, I expect you to dodge these questions, but if you can answer them honestly, I applaud you. :)

mimgrim

Smash Hero

I already gave my reasons, you're just avoiding them. IC aren't the only reasons, there's also the technical limitations on the 3DS hard drive, the lack of efficient memory storage system, the sheer amount of problems caused by multi-tasking performances by characters such as PKMN Trainer and IC, graphical downgrades from the previous generation, failed promises of keeping up with deadlines, and others escaping my mind, but most importantly - hving to buy another 3DS to play mutliplayer with a friend, rather than just get another controller for the Wii U. Of course, I expect you to dodge these questions, but if you can answer them honestly, I applaud you. :)
I would like sources of where it was stated where the 3DS hard drive was stated to be an issue for Smash4 by Sakurai, the source on where lack fo effiecent memory souce is an issue (espically since it isn't since a 3DS cart can hold all of Brawl and then some, and this game won't be having SSE which took up most of the space on Brawl and will probably be better compressed this time), I presume you are taliing about the transforming portion of PT? If so where is the source on the problem of transformation characters as transformations are different from how ICs work, And that last issue isn't even a technical issue cause if your friends don't have a 3DS or you don't have a 3DS that is their/your problem only.

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
Wii U version of smash > 3ds version

3ds limits smash................

How?
We don't get a good joystiq. Joystiq > circle pad. fml

I'd rather play the GCC with smash than the Circle pad.

lol I'd rather play the Wii U pro controller than the circle pad.

Regardless tho I'm getting both versions :p

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Wii U version of smash > 3ds version

3ds limits smash................

How?
We don't get a good joystiq. Joystiq > circle pad. fml

I'd rather play the GCC with smash than the Circle pad.

lol I'd rather play the Wii U pro controller than the circle pad.

Regardless tho I'm getting both versions :p
How does the circle pad limit the Wii-U version exactly? Since you can't even use the 3DS as controler for the Wii-U version. ._.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
That is just an opinion. Just like how I think 3D>HD.
IC aren't the only reasons, there's also the technical limitations on the 3DS hard drive, the lack of efficient memory storage system, the sheer amount of problems caused by multi-tasking performances by characters such as PKMN Trainer and IC, graphical downgrades from the previous generation, failed promises of keeping up with deadlines, and others escaping my mind, but most importantly - hving to buy another 3DS to play mutliplayer with a friend, rather than just get another controller for the Wii U. Of course, I expect you to dodge these questions, but if you can answer them honestly, I applaud you. :)
PKMN trainer, Zelda/Shiek, and Samus/Zamus are all the same. All you do is get rid of a character and load another. It isn't like IC where you have two at a time. Also, I don't know why they would get rid of the game that will sell more. And why would you have to buy another 3DS to play with a friend? It seems like everyone on here has no friends that have a 3DS, even though it is owned by lots of people. Anyways, I wouldn't assume the 3DS is horrible, cause if you look at the games on it, you can see how good it is. Kid Icarus: Uprising is used as an exaample by some people. Look how fast it is, and how much content it has. I was surprised it can fit in one cartridge. And if you look at the online play, you can see no lag at all.

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
I never said it limits the wii u version

I said it just limits smash. Trust me its not going to be easy to play smash on that circle pad. (without breaking it)

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I never said it limits the wii u version

I said it just limits smash. Trust me its not going to be easy to play smash on that circle pad. (without breaking it)
Oh so you have seen the future!? Oh great wise one tell me more of this future you know so much about!

But seriously, at least wait until the game comes before jumping saying something like that, for all you know the Cpad could be great for Smash and not break as easy as a joy stick. e_e

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
I wasn't predicting anything. Ur assuming.

All I said was circle pad sucks for smash 4. read posts more carefully please.

EDIT: It sucked for kid icarus to.

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
Probably because it's going to be the inferior version.

I'm on the fence about getting it. Smash on the go would be pretty dope but otherwise Smash Bros is a console type of game. Some games are better suited for handhelds and some games are better suited for consoles.

I don't think Smash Bros necessarily works as a handheld, but if anyone can make it work, it'll be Sakurai so we'll see.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I could totally see Smash as a handheld. And also, there will be more people online playing on the 3DS version than the Wii U (just a guess, but I have reasons). Here are my reasons (told you I had reasons): 1, the 3DS version will sell more than the Wii U version (unless a miracle happens). 2, The Wii U version can have more than one person playing on one console. This means, you can play with others offline, and not as much online. 3, the 3DS is made for online play. I would like you to play Pokemon X or Y, or KI: U without ever using online. It won't be as fun. If the 3DS version didn't support online, then I could see it doing horribly. And why do people think there will be problems with the internet connectivity? It isn't the Wii for crying out loud! I never had a problem with lag on the 3DS and I doubt Smash will make that happen.

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
If you honestly don't believe that the circle pad is undoubtedly worse than a joystick, then you're just stubborn and won't be reasoned with. Most of the other arguments here are speculation, but I can already tell you that it's so much more difficult to get something like a well timed Utilt on that thing.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Guys, just wait til the ****ing game comes out.

mimgrim

Smash Hero

Smash 4 isn't even out yet though, so how can you know this without looking into the future? :O Also KIU is a different kind of game. If anything you are the one who is assuming, as Smash 4 isn't even out yet.

If you honestly don't believe that the circle pad is undoubtedly worse than a joystick, then you're just stubborn and won't be reasoned with. Most of the other arguments here are speculation, but I can already tell you that it's so much more difficult to get something like a well timed Utilt on that thing.
Oh so you can also see the future and know for a fact the Circle Pad will be worse then a Joy Stick? Smash 4 hasn't even come out yet, at least wait to try and play the game with the Circle Pad before you declare that you can't preform something as good on the Circle Pad on a game that isn't even out yet. -_-

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
I'm sure the Circle Pad will be fine -.- just dont flipping mess around with it and just use it how it's supposed to be used

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
wrong mimgrim.

Both games are similar. The amount of control u need for Uprising is diverse. Slow walking, running, creeping are very difficult to use with the circle pad. Its doable but is easier to execute with a joystiq without a doubt.

Honestly, it seems your out to just argue with anyone who bashes/dislikes/says anything bad about the 3ds version of smash.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
wrong mimgrim.

Both games are similar. The amount of control u need for Uprising is diverse. Slow walking, running, creeping are very difficult to use with the circle pad. Its doable but is easier to execute with a joystiq without a doubt.

Honestly, it seems your out to just argue with anyone who bashes/dislikes/says anything bad about the 3ds version of smash.
Honestly it isn't as hard as you make it out to be, I found it to be the same as a joystick for me. And no, I just don't like it when people amek baseless accusations without having any proff to back it up or are already assuming something about the game is already going to be bad when the game isn't out yet and try to push it off as fact.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
Trust me its not going to be easy to play smash on that circle pad. (without breaking it)
You're exaggerating. You're not going to break the circle pad by playing Smash on the 3DS. It's not like there's going to be wave-dashing, and even then it won't break the circle pad.

While I would rather have a joystick rather than the circle pad, you're just over-exaggerating. It won't suck, it will be just fine. How about you play it before you make assumptions? Everyone says the same thing about Wii U Pro Controller because it's not a GCC. I've even seen people say the same thing about Classic Controller Pro, and the Classic Controller Pro is as good as the GCC no doubt, because I've actually played it so I would know. (And I still play it consistently)

The Circle Pad didn't suck for Kid Icarus: Uprising, it worked just fine. I can play consistently with it. I don't know what your problem with it is, but it doesn't suck because I've played the game myself. I don't think the circle pad is the problem, I think you're the problem with the circle pad. (le constructive criticism)

Oh my lord, everyone thinks the 3DS Smash is cel-shaded when it's not. Sakurai makes a black outline so you can see the the characters easier on the small screen and everyone goes: "OMG ITS CEL-SHADED!".

Tell me where you see cel-shade BESIDES THE BLACK OUTLINE:

It's probably be much easier if I could take the black outline out. >_>

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
and both of u have no proof that it will not be a bad "way to move a character". So this whole thing was pointless.

So, I don't like the circle pad for smash 3ds. I just don't feel it working out for me (as if I was comparing it with any smash game).

NOTE: THAT'S MY OPINION. ( THIS NOTE WAS FOR ANY OVER DEFENSIVE 3DS PURISTS THAT THINK THEY KNOW EVERYTHING lol)

and Orngeblu.. I know its hard to detect sarcasm on the internet. But.....got ya :troll:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
If Sakurai is not able to fit as much content on the 3DS version as he could on the Wii U version, then I would be okay if trophies and/or mini games involving trophies would be cut. If that means the 3DS version will move more smoothly then so be it in my book.

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
The lack of that 8 way octagonal outline for the stick seems like that might be a problem for me. The Gamecube, Classic Controller Pro, and Wii-chuck controller had it. Recovering without them might be a pain.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
The lack of that 8 way octagonal outline for the stick seems like that might be a problem for me. The Gamecube, Classic Controller Pro, and Wii-chuck controller had it. Recovering without them might be a pain.
Playing with the 3DS button set up would take some time getting used to. I just hope we get an accessory that would connect to the 3DS wirlessly, or bluetooth wise, if the 3DS' control scheme does not work out.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Playing with the 3DS button set up would take some time getting used to. I just hope we get an accessory that would connect to the 3DS wirlessly, or bluetooth wise, if the 3DS' control scheme does not work out.
Can anyone explain to me why the circle pad is so bad to them? When I use it, it feels perfectly fine to me. The only problem I ever had was holding it in one direction for a while, but if you play on a regular stage, I doubt you'd be going on one direction for a long time. Also, the circle pad feels more comfortable to me than a GC joystick. Now, if it had a better grip, I would like it a lot.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Can anyone explain to me why the circle pad is so bad to them? When I use it, it feels perfectly fine to me. The only problem I ever had was holding it in one direction for a while, but if you play on a regular stage, I doubt you'd be going on one direction for a long time. Also, the circle pad feels more comfortable to me than a GC joystick. Now, if it had a better grip, I would like it a lot.
I don't hate the Circle Pad myself. In fact, it never has given me any trouble. I am just pondering an alternative in case it doesn't work out for other people.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
and both of u have no proof that it will not be a bad "way to move a character". So this whole thing was pointless.

So, I don't like the circle pad for smash 3ds. I just don't feel it working out for me (as if I was comparing it with any smash game).

NOTE: THAT'S MY OPINION. ( THIS NOTE WAS FOR ANY OVER DEFENSIVE 3DS PURISTS THAT THINK THEY KNOW EVERYTHING lol)
Okay then, you're entitled to your opinion, but you shouldn't state them as fact. For the record, I'm not a "3DS purist".

Also, why don't you quote me?

mimgrim

Smash Hero
The C-Pad is pretty different from a joystick. I know when I first started playing the 3DS I didn't really like it either, however through games like KIU I started to get use to it and now find it just as comfortable as a joystick. One of the problems people have with it is the lack of a octagonal shape around it for more precise movement, thus making it easier to make mistakes with it due to the circular shape around it. Another problem is the grip, but there is this accessory for the 3DS to make it feel more like a controller when playing on it, so if that is a problem they can fix this by buying that accessory. And the other problem people have is that they think it will break easier then a joystick when playing Smash, yet they have nothing to base this off of and if anything the C-Pad seems (key word seems) more durable then a joystick or just as durable. But people love to jump to bad conlusions on stuff for some reason. lol

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I think the game is going to run nicely on 3DS. Having played Uprising and throughly enjoying that game (and the fact it's pretty much a 3-dimensional Smash Bros), Smash Bros. for 3DS is going to run great. My only concern is how switching between 3DS and Wii U versions will have some getting used to, but I'm confident both versions will run equally as good for their respective platforms. Also, going to tourneys is going to be more worthwhile to play friendlies since we can just play on our 3DS instead of waiting for a set-up to be free.

low tier user

Smash Cadet
I don't think that will be a problem, given that Namco-Bandai will be handling balancing as opposed to the previous games, where it was entirely Sakurai.
I don't think that will be a problem, given that Namco-Bandai will be handling balancing as opposed to the previous games, where it was entirely Sakurai.
All I want is Roy in his Melee form and the Melee announcer back. I want Roy's victory poses and voice to stay the same.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Okay, this reminds me of when people complained about how the 3DS Xl's 3D is worse than the original 3DS. The joystick wouldn't be considered worse, I think it is just different. Try using a Classic controller for Smash for a month, and then switch to a Gamecube control or vice versa. It wouldn't be worse, but it would just be different. Hard to get used to since you were used to the other control.

I'm actually surprised that Sakurai didn't make it for handhelds only. Since Kirby started out as a handheld, Kid Icarus Uprising was a handheld game (and I don't see any reason it wouldn't be on a console. A classic controller, Gamecube controller, and a Wiimote with nunchuk could replace it). Also, that game Meteos (never really liked this game) was on a handheld. Plus (as said before in this thread) I think he was planning to make it a 3DS only game.

Top Bottom