• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Why do people hate the 3DS Smash Bros. so much?!?!

finalark

SNORLAX
Kid Icarus has a ton of frantic chaos and that runs fine (or so I've heard). I wouldn't be surprised if Kid Icarus was Nintendo's test run for Smash 3DS' multiplayer.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I remember reading some article in March where Sakurai addressed the qualms of online Brawl, saying something about it being free and possibly saying something about its lack of a server. If this is such an issue, why not continue to make it free and have something like a 15-second ad between matches? It wouldn't be ideal, but I'll watch ads rather than have awful lag.
That being said, if there is an online Smash server, I wonder if each version will have its own.

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
ok so here's what i have to say about the 3ds version:
i believe it will have less content than wii u version (modes, trophies, etc)
just plain bad graphics comparably (aesthetics are insanely big in my book)
and while i'm sure it will be plenty of fun, i just don't think a handheld playstyle is what i want for my smashing experience. which is ironic because i don't have a wii u yet and will be getting a 2ds (along with pokemon y) for under a hundred bucks :p

EDIT: i may still get the 3ds version too. can somebody say awesome stages?

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
ok so here's what i have to say about the 3ds version:
i believe it will have less content than wii u version (modes, trophies, etc)
just plain bad graphics comparably (aesthetics are insanely big in my book)
and while i'm sure it will be plenty of fun, i just don't think a handheld playstyle is what i want for my smashing experience. which is ironic because i don't have a wii u yet and will be getting a 2ds (along with pokemon y) for under a hundred bucks :p

EDIT: i may still get the 3ds version too. can somebody say awesome stages?

It is a 3DS not a PS4 to even compare the graphics of the 3DS and Wii U is dumb as they both have their own hardware limitations. Also it has been confirmed by Sakurai that we are getting an adventure mode and classic mode, what other modes do you want that you think the 3DS won't have. From what I understand the 3DS card is just as big as brawl so trophies really aren't at risk along with characters as the subspace emissary adventure mode won't be returning.

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
It is a 3DS not a PS4 to even compare the graphics of the 3DS and Wii U is dumb as they both have their own hardware limitations. Also it has been confirmed by Sakurai that we are getting an adventure mode and classic mode, what other modes do you want that you think the 3DS won't have. From what I understand the 3DS card is just as big as brawl so trophies really aren't at risk along with characters as the subspace emissary adventure mode won't be returning.
i know the limitations stuff, i'm just saying that i would prefer to have the one with better graphics, so wii u. and as for modes i'm talking about stuff like the stadium things, stage builder and stuff like that. i think the 3ds version will either just not have a couple of them, or they will be a bit lacking

and by the way i don't have a ps4, or even ps3 for that matter

TrainerLITTLER

Smash Ace
NNID
TrainerLITTLER
If it hasn't been said here, the reason everyone should get SSB 3DS is simple; now you and your friends, at school or anywhere, can play. No more go over to his house and all get together. Just after school, sit down, play multi-player anywhere. Lying in bed? Go online and fight your friends. Sitting in a free period? Play Smash Bros. Stayed after and got all your work done? You know what to do.

TrainerLITTLER

Smash Ace
NNID
TrainerLITTLER
Also, who here remembers how with Smash Bros Melee and Brawl you had to sit up straight in front of the TV to play? And if you're like me (far-sighted and doesn't ware glasses), then you know that you have to drag a chair in front of the TV. With the 3DS, I can kick back in the recliner, free to move my head any direction or curl up in a ball for whatever reason, because you can move the screen. And you won't be smashed up against your friends staring at the TV because you'll all have your own screens to just sit down, get lazy, and smash.

Morbi

Scavenger
Also, who here remembers how with Smash Bros Melee and Brawl you had to sit up straight in front of the TV to play? And if you're like me (far-sighted and doesn't ware glasses), then you know that you have to drag a chair in front of the TV. With the 3DS, I can kick back in the recliner, free to move my head any direction or curl up in a ball for whatever reason, because you can move the screen. And you won't be smashed up against your friends staring at the TV because you'll all have your own screens to just sit down, get lazy, and smash.
Why would you drag a chair in front of the TV if you are far-sighted? That doesn't make any sense... I have an HDMI TV though, so there is plenty of room in my case. Not saying that the 3DS version doesn't have its perks, but I prefer to play like the old days. Have interactions with my friends. If we are just staring at the 3DS laying down... there is not much engagement in my experience.

TrainerLITTLER

Smash Ace
NNID
TrainerLITTLER
My case of being far-sighted both blurs close things and makes it near impossible to see things clearly at a distance a couple feet away. I have a big TV too, but being far-sighted by a couple of feet still makes it impossible, so it's rather handy to be able to sit and play on different screens. Of course, I'm talking about sitting around and playing with each other, because being in different areas, though not always an option, takes away for the social experience.

Morbi

Scavenger
My case of being far-sighted both blurs close things and makes it near impossible to see things clearly at a distance a couple feet away. I have a big TV too, but being far-sighted by a couple of feet still makes it impossible, so it's rather handy to be able to sit and play on different screens. Of course, I'm talking about sitting around and playing with each other, because being in different areas, though not always an option, takes away for the social experience.
You should really get some glasses, is there a reason you don't? It seems like a necessity. Haha.

That is, of course, assuming your friends even purchase a 3DS/2DS. I don't really have any friends IRL that have one. I don't really have any friends IRL that have a Wii U either, hence the need for them to come over and chill while we use my set-up.

TrainerLITTLER

Smash Ace
NNID
TrainerLITTLER
Sadly I'm the only one of my friends that owns a Wii U, but a good amount of them have 3DS themselves, in fact I have 2 (That Fire Emblem Awakening Bundle).

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
Kid Icarus has a ton of frantic chaos and that runs fine (or so I've heard). I wouldn't be surprised if Kid Icarus was Nintendo's test run for Smash 3DS' multiplayer.
It does run fine, despite a lot of chaos happening all the time. No slow down. Uprising came into production because Sakurai wanted to do something else than Smash Bros after Brawl. Of course, it also gave him good 3DS experience.

ToastedViRuS[TV]

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4897-6866-1159
Obviously the 3DS version will have some kind of handicap in content. Thats why people dont respect it a lot, but its still a Smash Bros game. And I have been waiting ages for a handheld version, so Im definitely getting it!

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Obviously the 3DS version will have some kind of handicap in content. Thats why people dont respect it a lot, but its still a Smash Bros game. And I have been waiting ages for a handheld version, so Im definitely getting it!

Your sig is really hypnotic 0_0

Morbi

Scavenger
Your sig is really hypnotic 0_0
Your sig is also really hypnotic 0_0

It does run fine, despite a lot of chaos happening all the time. No slow down. Uprising came into production because Sakurai wanted to do something else than Smash Bros after Brawl. Of course, it also gave him good 3DS experience.
Yes, I watched an extensive play-through of the game. There wasn't any noticeable discrepancies, so I am not too worried about Smash in regards to slow down.

ToastedViRuS[TV]

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4897-6866-1159
Your sig is really hypnotic 0_0​
Your sig is also really hypnotic 0_0

LOL...
Yes, I watched an extensive play-through of the game. There wasn't any noticeable discrepancies, so I am not too worried about Smash in regards to slow down
Yeah, Smash cant slow down after the impression Brawl made. Knockback looks increased, so less timeouts and faster matches! (hopefully).

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
I have been watching the only gameplay trailers they have and in them the 3DS version looks really floaty much different than the Wii u version, please some one prove me wrong

finalark

SNORLAX
I have been watching the only gameplay trailers they have and in them the 3DS version looks really floaty much different than the Wii u version, please some one prove me wrong

When Brawl was in development nobody could tell exactly what it would play like from game play videos alone, and trust me, we examined the **** out of them. You'll have to wait for the game to come out before we'll know what it plays like.

Morbi

Scavenger
Not nearly finished in development.
Actually, the mechanics are basically finished, but the characters, stages, and balancing aren't.
I would hate to be captain obvious, but apparently it is needed, we do not know how development is going. The last time we saw anything was the Sonic Trailer back in October. Plenty could have changed in the time frame. So the mechanics might not even be basically finished, they could be using something temporary, the mechanics might be completely finished too. The stages could have already been developed.

I think you get the point. No one can make a rational decision based on what little we have seen. The game looks workable, but who knows what they have and haven't finished at this point?

TrainerLITTLER

Smash Ace
NNID
TrainerLITTLER
Actually, when you review the pictures of the day along with Masahiro's many columns, tweets, and interviews, you find what I said to be correct.

TrainerLITTLER

Smash Ace
NNID
TrainerLITTLER
Masahiro isn't reliable? He's basically the only guy making the game, nothing gets in without his full inspection.

Morbi

Scavenger
Masahiro isn't reliable? He's basically the only guy making the game, nothing gets in without his full inspection.
His opinion on the development of the game is also subjective; especially once you apply the public relations lens, you can only accurately estimate. So if you can find me an article where he states that the mechanics are mostly complete, but he needs to work on character balance, stages, and characters; that would be helpful. It is not plausible to make assumptions out of context either, so the article would have to be extremely concise to consist of any value.

Also, it might be practical to use the reply button.

ToastedViRuS[TV]

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4897-6866-1159
I would hate to be captain obvious, but apparently it is needed, we do not know how development is going. The last time we saw anything was the Sonic Trailer back in October. Plenty could have changed in the time frame. So the mechanics might not even be basically finished, they could be using something temporary, the mechanics might be completely finished too. The stages could have already been developed.

I think you get the point. No one can make a rational decision based on what little we have seen. The game looks workable, but who knows what they have and haven't finished at this point?
What I think is that the mechanics should be close to done, but noone can just say that. They could just be testing everything or adding and removing stuff like crazy. The biggest thing is balancing the game though, and the team will try to save as much time for that as possible before confirming any release dates.

To be on topic - the mechanics have to be the same across platforms in my opinion. You cant let there be 2 different metagames.

Morbi

Scavenger
What I think is that the mechanics should be close to done, but noone can just say that. They could just be testing everything or adding and removing stuff like crazy. The biggest thing is balancing the game though, and the team will try to save as much time for that as possible before confirming any release dates.

To be on topic - the mechanics have to be the same across platforms in my opinion. You cant let there be 2 different metagames.
That is true, I am actually slightly worried about two different meta-games. I am sure my fears are unwarranted though.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
But two separate meta games might make both games worth playing for different reasons. The stagelist both games have could actually create entirely different tier lists even. It may be unavoidable in some areas.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
That is true, I am actually slightly worried about two different meta-games. I am sure my fears are unwarranted though.

I agree with Capps. 2 different meta games would be better as it gives more instinctive to play the one with a metagame you like better. The different stagelist alone will probably end up creating a different meta game.

Of course letting there be 2 different kinds of mechanics for the 3DS and Wii-U is still a bad idea, but not for the reason of 2 different metagames.

ToastedViRuS[TV]

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4897-6866-1159
But two separate meta games might make both games worth playing for different reasons. The stagelist both games have could actually create entirely different tier lists even. It may be unavoidable in some areas.

I guess other characters would have a chance in the other game. I dont know how I feel about that.

The Tier list is based on tourneys, though. There some stages are banned. Those might be the stages that are exclusive to either version, so that should balance Tier list and metagame

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I like that fact there's a 3DS version coming out so I can laugh in the faces of all those that called medelusional for thinking such a thing could be.

S

Sharic X

Brawls disk was like 7 GBs, meaning 3DS could hold ALL of Brawl and then some and the roster was NOT the reason Brawl took up sop much space. Brawl took up so much space because of 2 things, SSE and poor compression. Characters don't take up allot of space at all. Games like SF4 and Tekkem pn the 3DS has like 40+ characters and only used like 2-3 GBs. So the 3DS will NOT hold back the roster. This has been said so many times. Pleas get your facts straight. >_>
Actually, the Brawl disc was 6.2 GB. I have the ISO file on my PC.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Why I think the 3DS is gonna hold the Wii U back in more than just the character aspect.

The Wii U disc has 25 GB available per layer. The 3DS has 8 GB per cartridge, but I heard that Nintendo is limiting games to 2 GB. (My source is pretty outdated at this point, so please don't hold it to me.) With all that space, the Wii U could have an awesome, expansive story mode, or more characters, or more stages. But they want to keep the versions as similar as possible, so the 3DS will definitely hold it back in that way. So.. yeah.
Actually, that space is most likely being compensated for with alternate stages. Stages take up much more space than characters - yes, characters have more complex code to control their movements, but code really doesn't take up a lot of space. It does however take up more CPU, particularly for complex characters like IC and Rosalina - so really, if you're concerned about characters then the 3DS's processor is more of a bottleneck than the amount of space available on the cartridge.

Graphics and art elements take up substantially more space than code - there are more polygons to count, special processing for textures, maybe water effects, lighting and shadows, etc. You can see what I'm talking about in the screenshots. Compare 3DS's Nintendogs and Gerudo Valley to Wii U's Pikmin and Battlefield. This is probably the driving reason behind why the 3DS has different stages than the Wii U (other than giving us a reason to want both versions).

Personally, I have a 3DS but no Wii U. So, I'm going to get the 3DS version first, see if it lives up to the hype, and if I think it's worth spending another $400+ to get a Wii U, the game, and an extra controller to play with a buddy, then I'll get the Wii U version too.

Last edited:

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
Actually, that space is most likely being compensated for with alternate stages. Stages take up much more space than characters - yes, characters have more complex code to control their movements, but code really doesn't take up a lot of space. It does however take up more CPU, particularly for complex characters like IC and Rosalina - so really, if you're concerned about characters then the 3DS's processor is more of a bottleneck than the amount of space available on the cartridge.

Graphics and art elements take up substantially more space than code - there are more polygons to count, special processing for textures, maybe water effects, lighting and shadows, etc. You can see what I'm talking about in the screenshots. Compare 3DS's Nintendogs and Gerudo Valley to Wii U's Pikmin and Battlefield. This is probably the driving reason behind why the 3DS has different stages than the Wii U (other than giving us a reason to want both versions).

Personally, I have a 3DS but no Wii U. So, I'm going to get the 3DS version first, see if it lives up to the hype, and if I think it's worth spending another $400+ to get a Wii U, the game, and an extra controller to play with a buddy, then I'll get the Wii U version too.
God damn, that post was like the first one I made, day after I created this account. So old.

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
I plan on getting both versions. Portable Smash is such an awesome idea.

Top Bottom