• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Why do people hate the 3DS Smash Bros. so much?!?!

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
The ultimate tug of war between the 3DS and WiiU versions will involve at minimum the following:

1) Price
  • Current console adoption rates
  • Cost of the game itself
  • Cost of the consoles and any peripherals needed to play
3) Spectator Friendliness
  • Graphical fidelity
  • Audio fidelity
  • Pace of play
5) Hardware
  • Framerate stability
  • Input response latency
  • WLAN and LAN latency
The overall winner of the tug of war will likely dominate the competitive scene from release until something causes a massive shift in these factors.
Ultimately, I see 1 and 3 being the main factors. The raw gameplay is the same, and I believe differences will be negligible. The 3DS is cheaper and more popular, but the Wii U is generally a better spectator sport, which I believe is crucial to tournaments if the level of complaints about 3DS capture card prices is anything to go on. Wii U's online is also likely to be more stable.

Greda

Smash Journeyman
I imagine the 3DS could potentially be considered as a finished beta test and then updated when the Wii U comes out to fix various problems regarding balancing issues, minor changes to gameplay, technical glitches, etc.

But yeah I don't understand the 3DS hate either.

Yeeeeeah....he never said that. Would you happen to have a source for this?
What? There can be updates for the game through the eShop, like there were on games like Dream Team. I'm pretty sure Sakurai wouldn't mess it up for the 3DS version also.

Getting out of this beta and demo topic....

Sorry if these are all restates, I just want to get this out. I don't care how lame I sound at this point.

I've been reading this for a WHILE now, since page one. The funny thing is, is that people are hating on the 3DS for just opinionated reasons. Okay, listen, guys, it's a clear fact that the 3DS is going to have its graphics toned down a little from the Wii U version, but who cares? Most people I know don't play games for graphics, and if you judge a game on ALL GRAPHICS, then that's just sad. If you prefer the Wii U graphics over the 3DS, though, that's fine, because that's just an opinion and it's only normal cause it's fabulous HD.

Another thing I've been reading about is controls. I personally like the 3DS controls better, but that's just my opinion. If you like any other controller, that's also great, then you should just use the said controller (even if that only will work for the Wii U). I'm pretty sure all the buttons will be sorted for such, though. Let's not jump to conclusions here.

Also, the 3DS may or may not hold back the Wii U. Who cares. Sakurai isn't just going to go on the internet on the spare time and see how people are crying over the fact that one has a small screen and the other has a larger (including other factors, this was just a joke). And, no, we aren't going to ditch one version just cause of opinions. I know a lot who prefer Wii U, and a lot who prefer 3DS. Every one of my friends are getting the 3DS version, and I only know two people who actually HAVE a Wii U, and if this is the case, why cut one off? In the end, the final product will NOT change, at least too much.

I prefer the 3DS over the Wii U, sure, just my opinion, but at least I'm giving the Wii U a fair chance. It's shown more because it can fit most screens, and, of course, the HD. But seriously, at the end, we were just looking for how the gameplay is like so we can compare it to the version we prefer.

I know this is a bold thing to say especially since I'm a new member, but, seriously. We're only fighting over this because the game isn't even out yet. Let's fight in the ACTUAL GAME. I bet when both versions do come out, this debate will AT LEAST calm down a bit. After all, at the end, it's just for fun. We aren't paying for a 3DS, Wii U (Assuming you don't have it already), and the games JUST for arguments. Kick back your feet, relax, and have a fun time smashing with your friends. Let's not base the games memories off of arguments.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
@ G Greda : when did I ever suggest there wouldn't be updates? I was suggesting that the 3DS could potentially be a beta test in effort to see how well the game play and mechanics is received. If good, then it would stay the same on the Wii U. If not, the Wii U version gets the updated release as well as the 3DS gets the updates via the EShop.

I feel that patches and updates will definitely be released after the 3DS release to fix glitches and balance characters.

Greda

Smash Journeyman
@ G Greda : when did I ever suggest there wouldn't be updates? I was suggesting that the 3DS could potentially be a beta test in effort to see how well the game play and mechanics is received. If good, then it would stay the same on the Wii U. If not, the Wii U version gets the updated release as well as the 3DS gets the updates via the EShop.

I feel that patches and updates will definitely be released after the 3DS release to fix glitches and balance characters.
Oh, okay, then I probably screwed myself over when I was reading that cause I got the wrong idea. Sorry for the misunderstanding, though '- '. I'm hoping there wouldn't be anything too major to patch on the updates, though, considering how they are trying to balance everything greatly.

Either way, we will have to wait and see, no use in jumping to conclusions now.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
So... The last stupid thing I heard is that the 3DS will be the "casual" version, while the WiiU version will be the "competitive" version. Just someone who told me that (you know, the elitist kind), nothing official.

Any thoughts on that?

Last edited:

Greda

Smash Journeyman
So... The last stupid thing I heard is that the 3DS will be the "casual" version, while the WiiU version will be the "competitive" version. Just someone who told me that (you know, the elitist kind), nothing official.

Any thoughts on that?
Hilarious considering the 3DS version was supposed to be the only version at the start.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626

Any thoughts on that?
I think both will be competitive at the same level. I mean, the physics and gameplay should be the same. Only actual difference would be controls which I honestly think I would have a better time with controls on my 3DS than the Wii U game pad ( I really need a classic controller pro :/ ).

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I think both will be competitive at the same level. I mean, the physics and gameplay should be the same. Only actual difference would be controls which I honestly think I would have a better time with controls on my 3DS than the Wii U game pad ( I really need a classic controller pro :/ ).
Yeah, exactly. It's not because the 3DS is a handled game system that it automatically becomes a casual machine made for small game time (actual arguments from that guy...). The only thing is that it's not convenient for tournaments... But a game doesn't need to be played in e-sport to not be "casual".

And I think the 3DS controls will be good. I never had problems with it so far. I'll only miss my :GCCN: on this version.

Another point was that the 3DS game had different, slower physics. Because of this gif.

One of the first things shown during development, and different from the things shown during the Smash Bros Direct.

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
I can definitely understand the 3ds hater's plight. They hate on the 3ds because they are scared that the wii U version won't be as great due to the promised similarities of the 3ds and wii u. I am one of those haters lol , but I've come to understand that even thought the 3ds version could hold the wii u back it would be incredibly important for balancing.

The smash team will see if the 3ds version is balanced among fighters, then they can make the wii u (clearly the better version , lets not kid ourselves,) more balanced.
I will be getting the 3ds version to hold me over though.

Last edited:

Yodude57

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yodude57
3DS FC
3282-2513-0940
They should be thankful its on the wii u. It was going to be a 3ds only title. And ironically the one everyone hates will sell tons more then the wii u smash.I'm thinking the only reason it is on the Wii U is because of it's horrid sales that need a boost that only AAA titles can give.

limitations are bull****. Olimar&pikmin are in.
And rosalina and luma.

rikochet

Smash Cadet
I have faith in the 3ds version.

I am a street fighter player and recently a friend of mine and myself got the 3ds versions and with the exception of two huge differences from the console version it took us about 3 matches to get used to it. So if sf can do it so can smash. I can't wait for the 3ds version. Idk I think it's gonna be amazing

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

I am a street fighter player and recently a friend of mine and myself got the 3ds versions and with the exception of two huge differences from the console version it took us about 3 matches to get used to it. So if sf can do it so can smash. I can't wait for the 3ds version. Idk I think it's gonna be amazing
If Street Fighter works on the 3DS, I suppose Smash is all but guaranteed to work.

eenertv

Smash Rookie
Honestly, screw anyone who hates on this because it is on a mobile console. Different stages = more variety and the game runs similar on both.

xxEliteAlicexx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xxEliteAlicexx
If the 3DS version turns out to be the better one, I'll laugh my *** off.
Why? That's just rude and pointless.

Same here!! I thought it was going to be hard because it was on 3ds but it played perfectly. Funny thing is I prefer that version more than the console version.

I can definitely understand the 3ds hater's plight. They hate on the 3ds because they are scared that the wii U version won't be as great due to the promised similarities of the 3ds and wii u. I am one of those haters lol , but I've come to understand that even thought the 3ds version could hold the wii u back it would be incredibly important for balancing.

The smash team will see if the 3ds version is balanced among fighters, then they can make the wii u (clearly the better version , lets not kid ourselves,) more balanced.
I will be getting the 3ds version to hold me over though.
I can see what you mean there. Even though I'm not getting the 3ds version, I'm glad that they're making it because the way I feel about it is that the limitations with characters are helping them polish up the game itself more, making it more balanced.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I'm down with the 3DS version from the beginning, and it's going to sell a ton of copies simply 'cause Smash 3DS has something the Wii U version doesn't have: novelty.

xxEliteAlicexx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xxEliteAlicexx
I don't get it. I feel like I'm in the Ridley forum, where someones opinion is greater than someone else or someone thinks they're more credible. I bet I can see a future forum about how the 3DS version outsold the WiiU version or vice versa. Like I don't get it, someone please explain why this is even a thing. All I'm saying is, I'm getting the WiiU version. If I had the money, I'd get both because I do want to play smash on the go, either way they'll both sell good. People, stop being so negative on both systems. -_- Thanks.

Morbi

Scavenger
I don't get it. I feel like I'm in the Ridley forum, where someones opinion is greater than someone else or someone thinks they're more credible. I bet I can see a future forum about how the 3DS version outsold the WiiU version or vice versa. Like I don't get it, someone please explain why this is even a thing. All I'm saying is, I'm getting the WiiU version. If I had the money, I'd get both because I do want to play smash on the go, either way they'll both sell good. People, stop being so negative on both systems. -_- Thanks.
It is all in good fun; it is just something to discuss while we pass the time. That being said; you are correct, there will be a thread announcing the Wii U versions sales eventually, and comparisons will be thrown around. But that doesn't necessarily mean negativity is involved.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
It is all in good fun; it is just something to discuss while we pass the time. That being said; you are correct, there will be a thread announcing the Wii U versions sales eventually, and comparisons will be thrown around. But that doesn't necessarily mean negativity is involved.
Welp, yeah, a lot of it's in good fun and just discussion, but IN MY OPINION, not to be taken as fact or as a means of swaying people to my opinion, and I think you're all beautiful and amazing creatures.. the 3DS version will likely sell more short/mid term, at the very least, because the 3DS has a larger and more active user base, has that aforementioned novelty (portable Smash, hell yeah!), has some kind of connectivity with Wii U that's likely to be from 3DS to Wii U and not vice-versa, so on and so forth.

For the record, it's my intent to get 'em both.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
I'm thinking the only reason it is on the Wii U is because of it's horrid sales that need a boost that only AAA titles can give.

limitations are bull****. Olimar&pikmin are in.
I'd like to see your explanation on how Iwata knew that the Wii U sales would be horrid a year before they were.

SSB for Wii U AND 3DS were announced before the Wii U even came out. But nice try.

As for acting like there are no limitations, the whole thing was in regards to Ice Climbers.

In case you didn't notice, Olimar has less Pikmin now. And they have different AI/less textures/smaller models than a 2nd Ice Climber. This also goes for Luma (though it has slightly more advanced AI). The reason Ice Climbers would be an issue is because of 4 player. 4 Ice Climbers = 8 characters on screen at a time. Add to this, items/stage hazards & movement/ATs & Pokemon/trying to run all of them online at once. Or in Smash Run? That's where the limitation potentially comes in.

Not to mention, they already had to make Assists & Pokemon run at a different/lower FPS than the fighters. So CLEARLY there are limitations.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'd like to see your explanation on how Iwata knew that the Wii U sales would be horrid a year before they were.

SSB for Wii U AND 3DS were announced before the Wii U even came out. But nice try.

As for acting like there are no limitations, the whole thing was in regards to Ice Climbers.

In case you didn't notice, Olimar has less Pikmin now. And they have different AI/less textures/smaller models than a 2nd Ice Climber. This also goes for Luma (though it has slightly more advanced AI). The reason Ice Climbers would be an issue is because of 4 player. 4 Ice Climbers = 8 characters on screen at a time. Add to this, items/stage hazards & movement/ATs & Pokemon/trying to run all of them online at once. Or in Smash Run? That's where the limitation potentially comes in.

Not to mention, they already had to make Assists & Pokemon run at a different/lower FPS than the fighters. So CLEARLY there are limitations.
I believe Sakurai outright confirmed the limitations as well; anyone believing that there are no limitations are delusional.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
Yeah, and I mean, yes. We have Olimar & Rosalina, which bode well for things like Ice Climbers, but it's blatantly obvious there are limitations. Sakurai confirmed them and has already shown/brought up things that were clearly brought on by those limitations.

Also, since I didn't actually say anything about the topic itself, I am super pumped for the 3DS version.

My only concern is the controls, and if Ice Climbers get cut entirely, I will be resentful and blame the 3DS version. Whether that's the reason or not. But I will still be buying/playing it. It is what it is.

I honestly do not think there was any reason for the two to share rosters, since nothing else is really shared (and they never do this with anything else). The whole point was to make people that only bought one not feel left out, but you are clearly missing out on other things by not owning both, so how does that work? Anyway, I got over that.

D

Deleted member 245254

Why does the 3DS version need to be pit up against its Wii U counter-part? Just consider it a mini-smash 4 that you can play on the go and that's it.

As far as its competitive scene, it will likely be similar to most 3DS competitive scenes...not very huge but good enough to always find a random match if you're feeling like playing some smash. Pokemon is probably where most of the 3DS competitive scene is and likely will stay.

xxEliteAlicexx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xxEliteAlicexx

Preach.

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
I'm sure they'll figure out tricky little solutions to the Ice Climber problem, similarly to the whole Assist trophy FPS thing.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I'm sure they'll figure out tricky little solutions to the Ice Climber problem, similarly to the whole Assist trophy FPS thing.
I dunno, I'm not so confident. It's easy to say that when you think that the Ice Climbers will be only one in a fight, but don't forget, they need to figure out a way to make a screen full of four Ice Climbers, all with things going on in the background and utter chaos happening run at 60 FPS.

Frankly, and I hate to say it, but I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to cut their losses with the Ice Climbers.

Last edited:

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
Personally, I would be more than happy if they just cut the 'duo' aspect (which doesn't even make sense in the context of how the game itself works) and just had Popo, with a Nana costume and left them as "Ice Climber", like they're named in Japan.

This would solve the problem, fall in line with the other changes to multi-characters, and would be one more veteran that feels a bit newer. They would obviously compensate with some buffs (to accommodate for the loss of power and gimping that being solo causes) and change a few moves (primarily, Belay, which would either have to become just a tether or be changed altogether).

The only thing this does is ruins the uniqueness of the character, and completely changes them for people who relied on the 'teamwork'. But we've already taken away the uniqueness of PT & Zelda, so I don't see why that would be an issue all of the sudden.

I would much rather take a single Ice Climber over having them cut entirely. I'm not sure why people think "it should either both or none". I just can't agree with that line of thinking, mostly because, the moveset still works with one character (except Belay) and, like I said before, they don't even appear as a duo in Ice Climber to begin with.

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
It's a little irritating that the 3DS Smash Bros is coming out before the Wii U one admittedly.

And it annoys me to no end that if there's a limitation to the 3DS so it can't handle something, the Wii U version suffers as well instead of just making them different.

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
Moldy Clay said:
But we've already taken away the uniqueness of PT & Zelda
From a competitive standpoint, most people try to cycle through Ivysaur and rely on Squirtle and (to a significantly lesser extent, except in some MUs) Charizard. Squirtle was the best in Brawl, so burdening him down with 2 characters with a lot more flaws won't be missed.

Also, only Ed played Sheilda. Casuals might miss switching, and M2K might miss the trolling possibilities opened up if one was better and he played as that one, but most competitive players don't mind these switches.

ICs weren't a switch-off character - they're two in one (Luma+Rosalinaish) and had tricks they could do (Grab->usmash - even in mods with CGs removed this works) because of how they functioned, and encouraged protecting your AI partner. I can't say I love ICs but I see why some would miss their old form dearly.

GunGunW said:
And it annoys me to no end that if there's a limitation to the 3DS so it can't handle something, the Wii U version suffers as well instead of just making them different.
I won't pretend that I know everything about how games run and such, but something tells me that other design choices were made to alleviate this problem.

My thinking: sure, limitations might affect characters, but something told me the dev team just said "No" and decided to put their all into making the 3DS not limit characters. In exchange, stage roster is different (probably less "complex" i.e. less moving parts and such) and there is less music, because that's space that can be used for other stuff or removed to make sure the characters have enough space.

So, I get the feeling the trade-off of the 3DS (assuming there is one) is that we get different stages, less music, and the lower FPS for Pokémon/Assists [and possibly fewer modes but Smash Run], but I don't think they'll scrap a good character idea just because 3DS can't handle it. Only my $0.02.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
From a competitive standpoint, most people try to cycle through Ivysaur and rely on Squirtle and (to a significantly lesser extent, except in some MUs) Charizard. Squirtle was the best in Brawl, so burdening him down with 2 characters with a lot more flaws won't be missed.

Also, only Ed played Sheilda. Casuals might miss switching, and M2K might miss the trolling possibilities opened up if one was better and he played as that one, but most competitive players don't mind these switches.

ICs weren't a switch-off character - they're two in one (Luma+Rosalinaish) and had tricks they could do (Grab->usmash - even in mods with CGs removed this works) because of how they functioned, and encouraged protecting your AI partner. I can't say I love ICs but I see why some would miss their old form dearly.
Alright, though most people that have argued with me about this aren't competitive players. And that doesn't really change removing the uniqueness of Zelda & PT. That was just to illustrate that their gimmick was removed. That part had nothing to do with players, but with Sakurai. Just trying to say I could see him removing IC's gimmick. Especially since it'd be more accurate anyway.

I am aware that, on a competitive level, this changes everything. But like I said, most of the people who argued with me personally seemed to just not like them separated on principle, not because they played them.

Thor

Smash Champion
Moldy Clay said:
Just trying to say I could see him removing IC's gimmick. Especially since it'd be more accurate anyway.
I'll give you that it's more accurate, but he added Rosalina+Luma, so removing the other two-in-one character would cause a lot of "WHAT THE *****" from ICs players who like them (unless Sakurai figured ICs were unpopular and they simply were cut... and the infinite CG was pretty unpopular with a lot of people, casuals and competitives alike - although I actually don't mind that much nowadays - I don't like ICs but I can't begrudge them for it really).

Moldy Clay said:
I am aware that, on a competitive level, this changes everything. But like I said, most of the people who argued with me personally seemed to just not like them separated on principle, not because they played them.
Good point. I don't exactly play them either, I just know people who like them and want them back and actually work to be competitive (they're ALL ICs players, with the exception of this Melee Peach I know who dabbles in Brawl as Marth and wants them back for some odd reason...).

Last edited:

Booster

Smash Lord
I would think it's because the Wii U fans know no one will buy the Wii U version and everyone will buy the 3DS version, the only thing the Wii U version has over the 3DS version is better graphics xP

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
I would think it's because the Wii U fans know no one will buy the Wii U version and everyone will buy the 3DS version, the only thing the Wii U version has over the 3DS version is better graphics xP
And multiplayer on one system with one copy.
And spectator-friendliness.
And ease of streaming.
And other features that haven't been unveiled.

And the GameCube controller.

EDIT: I'm getting both versions, but I'm giving you the finer points as to why the Wii U version will be ultimately superior. Portability is great for technique practice, but the Wii U version is what I'm going to play matches on primarily.

Last edited:

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
And multiplayer on one system with one copy.
And spectator-friendliness.
And ease of streaming.
And other features that haven't been unveiled.

And the GameCube controller.
The Wii U version is technically superior, no argument there, but it's going to sell less than the 3DS version because the Wii U audience is considerably less in comparison. So unless Mario Kart 8 magically pulls in a couple more million new Wii U users, 3DS is probably going to double, if not triple, the Wii U version's sales.

The novelty of portable Smash is just way more attractive to the average consumer, who likely already has a 3DS. Honestly, having two versions kinda shot the Wii U in the proverbial foot.

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
The Wii U version is technically superior, no argument there, but it's going to sell less than the 3DS version because the Wii U audience is considerably less in comparison. So unless Mario Kart 8 magically pulls in a couple more million new Wii U users, 3DS is probably going to double, if not triple, the Wii U version's sales.

The novelty of portable Smash is just way more attractive to the average consumer, who likely already has a 3DS. Honestly, having two versions kinda shot the Wii U in the proverbial foot.
I definitely agree with you here. I was giving points on the superiority of the Wii U version, not the sales; the poster I quoted said the the only thing the Wii U version has over the 3DS one is "better graphics" so I needed to set the record straight there. I'm such a huge Smash fan that I'm going to purchase the Wii U just for Smash, and others like me will do the same. A majority of Smash fans are casuals though, so the 3DS version will likely sell better.

I can't wait for both of them. :colorful:

Morbi

Scavenger
This is precisely the reason that I "hate" the 3DS version. I mean, it is more about the incentive to buy the 3DS version over the Wii U version to be honest.

Top Bottom