• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Why do people hate the 3DS Smash Bros. so much?!?!

GeNo-BreaKer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeNo-BreaKer-01
3DS FC
1220-6182-2346
Becaz da sales will ruin wee yoo!!!111!!!!

No, they just don't realize that Smash on the go iz da coolz.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I feel the 3ds is just underrated. I understand most of us want to see our characters in HD (that Pit for me), but they also need to view the amazing exclusive content the 3ds has, like Smash Run, different stages, and the thing with the bottom screen from Friday's PotD. As such, I'm aiming for both versions, though I wonder what the little thing Sakurai mentioned bout something that can be transacted (if that's the word) between both versions is.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I feel the 3ds is just underrated. I understand most of us want to see our characters in HD (that Pit for me), but they also need to view the amazing exclusive content the 3ds has, like Smash Run, different stages, and the thing with the bottom screen from Friday's PotD. As such, I'm aiming for both versions, though I wonder what the little thing Sakurai mentioned bout something that can be transacted (if that's the word) between both versions is.
For me, just smash run is enough to buy the game (yeah I said it).

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
People are butthurt because the 3DS version is obviously going to sell more and have a bigger userbase than the Wii U version. I've seen a few times people saying the 3DS version is holding back the Wii U version and blahblahblah. They should be happy there is a Wii U version, since originally Nintendo was going to make the game a 3DS exclusive (which would have been fine to me).

When you stop and think, the only thing the Wii U version has superior to the 3DS version is graphics (more polygons, etc), but the 3DS version looks beautiful too (and has a nice art style!). Also, the option to use a GC controller might count as plus too, for the people who can't adapt to different controllers. Besides these, the 3DS version is just... better. Smash Run by itself makes the 3DS version the one to buy a no-brainer. Plus, portability + 3D + the game is cheaper = Win.
It will be inferior to Wii U, but it will be an awesome game in its own right.
Hmm no, it will not be inferior to the Wii U version.
Why does the 3DS version need to be pit up against its Wii U counter-part? Just consider it a mini-smash 4 that you can play on the go and that's it.
There is no reason to consider it "mini-smash". It is the same game as the Wii U version, there is nothing mini about it.

Last edited:

GeNo-BreaKer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeNo-BreaKer-01
3DS FC
1220-6182-2346
I seriously doubt that the 3DS version will be just as good as the Wii U version. Graphics aren't the only advantage the Wii U has. (Are graphics a big deal?)
The Wii U has by far more control options, analog sticks instead of analog nubs, better multiplayer, (WIi LAN adapter allows for a more stable online connection, all you need for local is more controllers), and the WIi U version will be played on a big screen, not on a 4 inch screen.
And I don't get why people are jumping to conclusions that the Wii U version won't have anything exclusive. Smash Run will obviously have a Wii U counterpart.
I'm not saying that the 3DS version isn't going to be any good, (Hell, the 3DS version looks amazing.) but the Wii U version will run circles around it all of the time.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
You also only need one copy of the game to play local multiplayer, as opposed to 4 games and 4 3DS units. Smash is such a social game, too, that's the main thing. I play Smash with friends, and I watch people play when I'm not playing. The 3DS takes away a big part of the social aspect of the game for me.

(That being said I am definitely buying both versions.)

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
In the end, I think most of the stuff between the two is more or less subjective. Especially since we haven't got to try out either version yet.

If you're the type who loves high quality graphics, multiple control options, larger screen sizes and a large soundtrack library then the Wii U version is more up your ally.

If you don't mind one or two control options, limited music and love the idea of having Smash on the go and aren't the type to make a huge fuss over graphics (even though I think the 3DS version still looks good in its own right) just so long as you can see what's going on. Then there really is nothing wrong with the 3DS version. (besides the portability bit, most of those stuff was more or less similar to Melee and Smash 64 anyway) You even have the XL version if you need a larger screen.

I've kinda looked through a number of 3DS version screenshots on my 3DS XL and I think that so long as the stages are reasonably sized, I highly doubt I will be having much trouble seeing things on my XL. If I do then there is always the outline and reticule feature for me to use. I think those where more designed for those who own the original 3DS or 2DS in mind.

but I guess that's just my opinion. I'll be getting both anyway. :/

Gazdakka Gizbang

Smash Apprentice
I have a lot of distaste for the "handhelds and phones are the future of gaming" notion that circulates around console threads. For one, I like restricting my gaming sessions to a nice, big TV with a console that plays games on the latest graphics and has a nice chunky controller - I don't need to have a gaming device available to me 24/7. Thus I consider handhelds to be a step backwards; HOWEVER, I have made two exceptions. I play Fire Emblem: Awakening on the 3DS because my wife already has it, and its cel-shaded art style counteracts the downgraded graphics. Secondly, I will be getting Smash Bros. on both platforms since the 3DS is already available to me.

I don't care how "limited" SSB4 is thanks to the 3DS provided the game is more enjoyable than Brawl was, preferrably closer to Melee in terms of speed, floatiness, influence of DI and wider stage boundaries. It would be nice for the usual mode fanfare (Classic, Adventure, All-Stars, Events) and the roster only cuts the fat (R.O.B. for example). If some of them became mere skin changes (Falco and Roy for Fox and Marth respectively), that's also amenable.

Besides all that, both platforms will impress me if their online modes are up to snuff. If I can connect to the Internet and play solid Smash Bros. games, I will be a very happy gamer.

BioZelink

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Biozelink
3DS FC
4811-7130-3977
Not if we all buy 3 copies of the Wii u version. Whos with me?
The funny thing is, that even that isn't going to be enough. MK8 did boost WiiU sales with 666 percent in UK. Iwata might have made a deal with the devil on this one :D
Agreed. Did you mean transferred?
People are butthurt because the 3DS version is obviously going to sell more and have a bigger userbase than the Wii U version. I've seen a few times people saying the 3DS version is holding back the Wii U version and blahblahblah. They should be happy there is a Wii U version, since originally Nintendo was going to make the game a 3DS exclusive (which would have been fine to me).

When you stop and think, the only thing the Wii U version has superior to the 3DS version is graphics (more polygons, etc), but the 3DS version looks beautiful too (and has a nice art style!). Also, the option to use a GC controller might count as plus too, for the people who can't adapt to different controllers. Besides these, the 3DS version is just... better. Smash Run by itself makes the 3DS version the one to buy a no-brainer. Plus, portability + 3D + the game is cheaper = Win.

Hmm no, it will not be inferior to the Wii U version.

There is no reason to consider it "mini-smash". It is the same game as the Wii U version, there is nothing mini about it.
I was just about to say basically the same thing, i guess i don't need to :D

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
The funny thing is, that even that isn't going to be enough. MK8 did boost WiiU sales with 666 percent in UK. Iwata might have made a deal with the devil on this one :D

Agreed. Did you mean transferred?

I was just about to say basically the same thing, i guess i don't need to :D
Yea... I remember him saying that something can be transferred between the 2 versions, but no specific details yet.

The Curious Volnutt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theOmni1337
Are people seriously still worried about the 3ds controls?
Street Fighter a much more complicated fighter than smash works perfectly fine on it, so I fail to see the issue.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Street Fighter a much more complicated fighter than smash works perfectly fine on it, so I fail to see the issue.
People will take any excuse to complain about anything, sometimes even when there is no excuse.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I only dislike that the 3DS version is being released before the Wii U version. Trying to hold out for the Wii U version would be insanely difficult to attempt, so I'll most likely cave in and get the 3DS version, which honestly won't have that graphical "mind blown" feel like Melee and Brawl had the first time I played those.

I'm sure I'm over reacting though and getting the Wii U version later will still be very satisfying.
Why?
Because It'll be on a much bigger screen in 1080p. I'll feel more connected playing on one TV instead of each person's head buried in their own hand held, and I'll be using a comfortable controller instead of the 3DS XL.

GeNo-BreaKer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeNo-BreaKer-01
3DS FC
1220-6182-2346
Different things. Street Fighter takes in directional inputs. Smash Bros determines where the analog stick is at. This is much harder on a tiny pad with limited space.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Different things. Street Fighter takes in directional inputs. Smash Bros determines where the analog stick is at. This is much harder on a tiny pad with limited space.
Now's a great time to start working on finger discipline.

I suggest playing Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 a couple months. You'll reach Herculean levels of hand-eye coordination and hand/finger discipline.

GeNo-BreaKer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeNo-BreaKer-01
3DS FC
1220-6182-2346
Now's a great time to start working on finger discipline.

I suggest playing Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 a couple months. You'll reach Herculean levels of hand-eye coordination and hand/finger discipline.
Capcom isn't getting my monehyz unless it's Monster Hunter.

ZiggaWaTT

Smash Journeyman
The 3ds version will be very fun in its own right. However with a much bigger screen and the gamecube controller adapter, the wii u will be the better version imo. Plus the wii u version will be the one played in competitive tournaments. I cant imagine the pros just sitting down in chairs facing each other and looking down on their 3ds...well actually i can imagine it and its a pretty funny picture XD but it wont be taken seriously compared to if they were playing on a wii u. The 3ds version does not deserve hate though, i intend to get both versions and sink endless hours into each one.

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
I guarantee the competitive scene will ignore the 3ds version.
I think the 3DS version won't be used in competitive tournaments if these factors aren't minimized or solved:

1. Controls. Both 3ds and Wii U are the same game, but it'd be strange to have different top players because some don't like the 3DS controls and ignore the 3DS half of tournaments.

2. Streaming. The all expensive $250 Capture card is not going to be on everyone's 3DS in tournaments. Crowds/Spectators can't gather around two small screens held close to the players. During entertaining friendlies or money matches people can easily gather round a TV.

3. Quality. SSB4 3DS more than likely looks great on 3Ds, but the videos we've seen from nintendo appear quite gritty on standard video size and settings. I don't know if it's the Anti Aliasing and those black outlines or just lazy recording.

Those problems being fixed or not, I think large Smash tournaments and Apex 2015 will have a plethora of players with SSB4 3DS who'll have loads of fun playing friendlies with thousands of other players to play.

ps. Lets also remember once again that it's the same game, so tournament organizers may be less likely to find tricky work arounds and be more inclined to say, "Bring a controller, it's the same game."

Last edited:

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Hmm I'm not sure why...See I went to Gamestop today and my brother let us preorder the $100 version of smash u with GC controllers which was cool.I asked him about the 3ds version he said that he doesn't like it and said I don't really don't want to see me playing it...Idk.I found it weird.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Because haters are CLEARLY jealous of handhelds.
Oh, they are clearly bothered by the fact the 3DS version will sell 3x times more than the Wii U one and have a faaaaar bigger playerbase.

They are also VERY bothered by the 3DS version having exclusive content.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Oh, they are clearly bothered by the fact the 3DS version will sell 3x times more than the Wii U one and have a faaaaar bigger playerbase.

They are also VERY bothered by the 3DS version having exclusive content.
Lets not tease the Wii U users

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
As probably listed in the 10 pages of post before me:
The Wii will have more content such as bigger stages and perhaps even more stages. They view 3ds version as less competitive because of the controls, lack of unbanned stages, and probably the general stereotype that portables are in general worse than consoles or just plain bad. I on the other hand love the idea of mobile smash and may not even bother getting a Wii U for awhile..."may not". Those limitations may be solved soon as I'm certain the 3ds will get more stages that are hopefully more tournament viable and soon get at least some info regarding controls.

Goten21

Smash Journeyman
They should just stop saying the 3DS version is limited... To even call it a mini-smash bros.
Does two years of development tell some people nothing?
Some people even called the 3DS version a demo... The nerves
Sorry, but being that uninformed is honestly embarassing, especially if you're going out of your way to post it on a forum LOL.
The only limitations it has is not having a graphic card like the Wii U does, if you could even call that a limitation.
And I guess the controls, though that one I can understand.

I've even seen some Ridley fans on here saying it's the 3DS' fault Ridley isn't gonna be in the game, because of the lack of space. Yes, I realize some people are joking, but they weren't
/rant

I only dislike that the 3DS version is being released before the Wii U version. Trying to hold out for the Wii U version would be insanely difficult to attempt, so I'll most likely cave in and get the 3DS version, which honestly won't have that graphical "mind blown" feel like Melee and Brawl had the first time I played those.

I'm sure I'm over reacting though and getting the Wii U version later will still be very satisfying.
Why?
Because It'll be on a much bigger screen in 1080p. I'll feel more connected playing on one TV instead of each person's head buried in their own hand held, and I'll be using a comfortable controller instead of the 3DS XL.
My personal guess is that the 3DS started developing earlier, and thus had the option to get releaseed earlier
Why is this handy? This way, they won't compete as directly as they would've with a double release

This benefits the 3DS sales so much, seeing how people are eager to play the game asap

And some people were gonna buy the wii u version anyway, and with the holidays coming up (if he's smart, he'll aim for the holiday sales, imo), the wii u is gonna benefit from this as well

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I think the 3DS version won't be used in competitive tournaments if these factors aren't minimized or solved:

1. Controls. Both 3ds and Wii U are the same game, but it'd be strange to have different top players because some don't like the 3DS controls and ignore the 3DS half of tournaments.

2. Streaming. The all expensive $250 Capture card is not going to be on everyone's 3DS in tournaments. Crowds/Spectators can't gather around two small screens held close to the players. During entertaining friendlies or money matches people can easily gather round a TV.

3. Quality. SSB4 3DS more than likely looks great on 3Ds, but the videos we've seen from nintendo appear quite gritty on standard video size and settings. I don't know if it's the Anti Aliasing and those black outlines or just lazy recording.

Those problems being fixed or not, I think large Smash tournaments and Apex 2015 will have a plethora of players with SSB4 3DS who'll have loads of fun playing friendlies with thousands of other players to play.
For my opinions, see here;
1. We could always have different semi-tournaments for the 3DS/Wii U versions of the game, the 3DS Players could do their own thing, and Wii U players can play the Wii U.

2. This one, I really got nothin'. Paying $250 for a Tournament is alot of money, but who knows?

3. Could always turn outlines off. :U

TurnUp

Smash Apprentice
Nobody really hates the 3DS version, as it's just the same game but portable and has it's own quirks and exclusive stuff.

Its obviously not the version that's going to be used in tournaments, it's not going to be the most played version by people who own both. But it will be the warmup for diehard players and it will have it's own playerbase who "don't wanna buy a Wii U because it sucks".

In short I don't hate the game, and I think this coming first will allow the 3DS to get sales as well as the Wii U version being seen as 'the full HD couch/competitive version'

Darrylols

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0044-2880-7964
Nobody really hates the 3DS version, as it's just the same game but portable and has it's own quirks and exclusive stuff.

Its obviously not the version that's going to be used in tournaments, it's not going to be the most played version by people who own both. But it will be the warmup for diehard players and it will have it's own playerbase who "don't wanna buy a Wii U because it sucks".

In short I don't hate the game, and I think this coming first will allow the 3DS to get sales as well as the Wii U version being seen as 'the full HD couch/competitive version'
"it will have it's own playerbase who "don't wanna buy a Wii U because it sucks"." Really? I won't be getting a Wii U because I do not have money so I'll only be playing Smash for 3DS. I think the Wii U is a brilliant console. Point is, I don't think that people who play Smash on their 3DS as their main instantly means they think the Wii U sucks.

TurnUp

Smash Apprentice
"it will have it's own playerbase who "don't wanna buy a Wii U because it sucks"." Really? I won't be getting a Wii U because I do not have money so I'll only be playing Smash for 3DS. I think the Wii U is a brilliant console. Point is, I don't think that people who play Smash on their 3DS as their main instantly means they think the Wii U sucks.
I'm not saying that's the reason for everyone, I'm only saying there's more than a couple people who just hate the Wii U for some reason and they'll get the 3DS version and stay on it not thinking a second thought about the Wii U. More than likely other fans will have to wait until a price drop on the Wii U or just have more games on the Wii U to actually make it a considerable purchase. I'm only saying there will be 3DS purists because there are 43 million people with 3DS models and under 1/4ths of that (<7 million)is the amount of people who own a Wii U.

Basically the whole player base won't move to Wii U, which is a good thing.

Last edited:

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
It's almost hilarious to see, people already starting segregation over the "same exact game" that hasn't even been released yet. It's as if the Smash community is always destined to be segregated.

Unfortunately the 3DS comp scene is at a dilemma with the inability of streaming matches on big screens at tournaments. (Then there's those who might be disturbed by lack of HD too) It would be nice if multiplayer allowed spectators, then the Streamers could buy a Capture Card for a streaming 3DS on a large screen, or perhaps even wifi would work well since the players would be in the same spot, but idk we'll see.

I'm all for Wii U, albeit 300 Green Ones isn't exactly chump change, not for me anyway. The Wii U will most likely be the heart of the comp scene, unless the 3DS steals it. Even a guy as busy as Reggie said he'll be able to practice on the go. People can practice and/or play co-workers during lunch breaks, or where ever they are. So it's not unfathomable that the 3DS could grow a decent comp scene.

Then lastly, since they're the same game your skills and playstyle should transfer over decently/flawlessly. (I figure it's easier for those who transfer from 3DS to Wii U) So I could probably play 3DS exclusively without owning a Wii U and just bring a Gamecube controller to tournaments, quickly re-adjust to the better controller in a friendlies and play like it's Smash 3DS aka Smash 4.

emuluc

Smash Rookie
NNID
blehlol
3DS FC
2938-7806-9043
eveybody have problems with the circle pad but cant you just use the d-pad on the 3ds?

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I think after watching the 3ds e3 trailer, we can see that the 3ds version is going to have a lot of content. Even more if Sakurai's vagueness and trolling is anything to go by.

I really doubt the wii u version is going to have too much more stuff. So I see no reason to hate on the 3ds version based on content.

Kiondrick

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1650-3088-1736
In terms of the competitive scene, I can see why the 3DS version would be undermined. Seeing a match on a big TV screen is better than seeing it on a small console. If I'm not mistaken though, with the capture card, you can capture 3DS footage and put it in video format, but you can only do that for a computer screen, and that's still dubious.

It won't make the 3DS version any less superior though. IMO, both the Wii U version and the 3DS version are both going to be fun games in their own right equally.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
In terms of the competitive scene, I can see why the 3DS version would be undermined. Seeing a match on a big TV screen is better than seeing it on a small console. If I'm not mistaken though, with the capture card, you can capture 3DS footage and put it in video format, but you can only do that for a computer screen, and that's still dubious.

It won't make the 3DS version any less superior though. IMO, both the Wii U version and the 3DS version are both going to be fun games in their own right equally.
Only problem with 3DS capture cards is that to get one, you have to send it off to some guy who will mod your 3DS, attach a big brick to it (the capture card), and will ask for a couple o' hundred dollars from you. It's a really underground practice right now, it's not nearly as comfortable or cheap as buying a HD Capture Card for TV based systems.

I'm personally looking forward to the Wii U version more, but I'm still really excited for the 3DS version myself.

I don't think the Wii U version will have less modes or content though, I simply think Sakurai is holding back on revealing the details. After all, the 3DS version is closer to release, so it makes sense to focus on that. I feel that, as soon as the 3DS version comes out, we will only be getting daily pics/website updates that specifically involve the Wii U exclusive stuff, as well as a trailer similar to the 3DS trailer, that showcases the modes the Wii U version has. They can't just bank on HD, couch multiplayer, exclusive stages, Gamecube Controller, and Amiibos to sell the Wii U version, especially since those last two require extra spending. It's going to have exclusive modes. We have to unlock those trophies and songs somehow, after all.

Greda

Smash Journeyman
I'm personally looking forward to the Wii U version more, but I'm still really excited for the 3DS version myself.

After all, the 3DS version is closer to release, so it makes sense to focus on that. I feel that, as soon as the 3DS version comes out, we will only be getting daily pics/website updates that specifically involve the Wii U exclusive stuff, as well as a trailer similar to the 3DS trailer, that showcases the modes the Wii U version has.
Can this just be how we usually react to both the games, instead of hating on one?

On the other note, I wish we would get more 3DS information considering it's coming soon, but we're only generally getting mainly Wii U screenshots as usual. It's still nice to know more information about it, though.

They should just stop saying the 3DS version is limited... To even call it a mini-smash bros.
Does two years of development tell some people nothing?
Some people even called the 3DS version a demo... The nerves
Sorry, but being that uninformed is honestly embarassing, especially if you're going out of your way to post it on a forum LOL.
The only limitations it has is not having a graphic card like the Wii U does, if you could even call that a limitation.
And I guess the controls, though that one I can understand.
I tried spamming the Like button, but then I realized I could only do it once.

Last edited:

Yodude57

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yodude57
3DS FC
3282-2513-0940
As probably listed in the 10 pages of post before me:
The Wii will have more content such as bigger stages and perhaps even more stages. They view 3ds version as less competitive because of the controls, lack of unbanned stages, and probably the general stereotype that portables are in general worse than consoles or just plain bad. I on the other hand love the idea of mobile smash and may not even bother getting a Wii U for awhile..."may not". Those limitations may be solved soon as I'm certain the 3ds will get more stages that are hopefully more tournament viable and soon get at least some info regarding controls.
That's why they made final destination versions of stages... *cricket chirping*

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
That's why they made final destination versions of stages... *cricket chirping*
I know the Wii U gets FD versions of stages, but idk if the 3DS gets it. Unfortunantly even if 3DS does get numerous FDs, that still one stage technically. :(

Top Bottom