• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Why do people hate the 3DS Smash Bros. so much?!?!

Yodude57

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yodude57
3DS FC
3282-2513-0940
And besides that how is the 3ds tailered toward competitive play anyway? Almost everything is against it for that the smaller screen, lack of controller options, lower quality graphics ect. I'm not in anyway saying that the 3ds is inferior nor am I saying that the wii u version is better. What I am saying is I think that the 3ds version is more meant for causal play while the wii u version seems more tailered for competitive play. And the 3ds version also seems to be a good way to prepare for the wii u version as Sakurai has said that it is easy to get good things in smash run which is itself a game mode that lasts 5 min... Leading me to another point the 3ds version seems to be made in mind of shorter gaming sessions and the wii u verision toward longer gaming sessions based on smash run and the other mini games we have seen for ssb for 3ds. My final point, the 3ds seems more made for single player while the wii u is meant more for multiplayer for obvious reasons such as the fact that Sakurai said the 3ds was more of a personal experience while the wii u version is the stadium where you show off your skills. Yet again evidence from games like smash run. And the fact that it is more convenient to set up games for a console than a handheld. Everyone please understand me I'm not saying that everything in this post was directed at someone specifically just pointing it out and that I like both versions equally for thier intended audience, I think that they should not be compared so directly with each other as Sakurai said somewhere that they are not he same but actually separate games , and I hope I've cleared some miscommunications that people are seeming to have.

Yodude57

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yodude57
3DS FC
3282-2513-0940
I know the Wii U gets FD versions of stages, but idk if the 3DS gets it. Unfortunantly even if 3DS does get numerous FDs, that still one stage technically. :(
Sorry I was just joking forgot to mention that sorry ;)

Xavier :D

Smash Ace
NNID
legend_of_xav
Both versions will be very fun and will each have their own attributes. THEY WILL BE THE BEST DAMN SMASH GAMES EVER.

Yodude57

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yodude57
3DS FC
3282-2513-0940
Both versions will be very fun and will each have their own attributes. THEY WILL BE THE BEST DAMN SMASH GAMES EVER.
Exactly! Why can't some people understand this! Btw funny profile pic ;)

Last edited:

Kiondrick

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1650-3088-1736
Here's a question:

What about people like me, people that are pretty much going to stick with only the 3DS version because they don't have a Wii U? Once the Wii U version comes out, will people start to forget the 3DS version, because that would make me sad, as I'm looking forward to playing with people online.

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
Here's a question:

What about people like me, people that are pretty much going to stick with only the 3DS version because they don't have a Wii U? Once the Wii U version comes out, will people start to forget the 3DS version, because that would make me sad, as I'm looking forward to playing with people online.
The Sm4sh 3DS will be out shined for a little while after the Wii U version is released. Why? Most people think of console games as better than portable versions of the same game and for the most part they're right. But some portable versions can stand "with" their console counterparts instead of under them and that's my expectation for Sm4sh 3DS.

A lot of people have a 3DS so a lot will buy Sm4sh 3DS even if they really just want the Wii U. I think this will give people time to develop a fondness for the portable version to the point where they might just play both alternating. Competitive smashers will without a doubt carry Sm4sh 3DS on those long car rides to tournaments. Plus if cars soon drive themselves then anyone can easily play while traveling anywhere.

Even if I got a Wii U version I'd still play on the 3DS and I know there are others who feel the same or will feel that way. There's gonna be a certain charm in the 3DS version that people are going to love.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Here's a question:

There will always be someone focused purely on the 3DS as long as I am alive and breathing ;)

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
I know the Wii U gets FD versions of stages, but idk if the 3DS gets it. Unfortunantly even if 3DS does get numerous FDs, that still one stage technically. :(
It does, we've already seen Gerudo Valley FD.

Greninja202

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1907-9671-3843
I like both versions, I always wanted a handheld version of super smash bros. I thought that was pretty awesome when I first heard about it. Each version has their own exclusive stages which makes both versions unique. :)

Maikou

Smash Ace
If I ever meet someone from GameXplain in real life after their recent Smash Bros. Discussion, I will punch them in the face. TWICE. They're calling the 3DS inferior now JUST because they don't like the control scheme!

Let me just say this. I. DON'T. CARE. ABOUT. GRAPHICS! I Loved Smash 64, yet it's one of hte most graphically poor 64 games. I LOVED Melee about as much as ANY competitve player does, even though it's graphics are bright and colorful. I love Brawl, despite the fact that it looks extremely dark and gritty, especially compared to previous Smash Games. The main visual difference between 3DS and Wii U Smash is that the Wii U has more teeny tiny details because of the HD. The 3DS is more cartoony, and honestly I love it. I love the effects on-hit that I've seen and I love the special effects Sakurai added to just the attacks themselves.

I might not have been able to play the demos of Smash 4, but playing Kirby Triple Deluxe, just in general, gets me hyped up for the 3DS smash. Maybe I wouldn't feel this way if my family had more money and we owned ourselves a Wii U, but we don't. My mom and I barely afforded our 3DS's we have now. Smash 3DS is getting exclusive modes and in what universe does the difference between two versions of the same game given that someone actually puts THOUGHT into them-- Wait a minute.

Oh, now I know why people hate Smash 3DS. It's all about Sonic Generations isn't it?! SEGA Purposely dumbed down the game for the handheld Nintendo version simply because they thought it couldn't handle it. Let me tell you, it most certainly COULD.

Let's take Pokemon into this. Besides the 3rd Releases Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum, is there any version truly 100% superior to the other? No. No there isn't. Smash is gonna be the same way. I don't care if Smash 3DS puts the system to it's limits, Smash 3DS will be just as awesome as the Wii U and there are NO logical arguments against it.

As far as I care anyway, I'm just glad we're even GETTING a handheld version. Maybe everyone ELSE should too. Eventually handhelds will be EVERY gaming console.

While it is true that at first, the Gameboy handheld was inferior to the Nintendo Entertainment System, The Gameboy Color was MUCH more advanced. If had color and could support proper cutscenes. The Gameboy Advance SP could support voice clips and very short 3D cutscenes (look up the beginning of the Legend of Spyro: Eternal Night's GBA version). The Nintendo DS could support SUPER MARIO F$%#ING 64, One of the most revolutionary games of ALL TIME. Oh, AND it improved upon it in certain areas. Admitedly, the 64 version could at least give us a V sign, but at the very least that is a small price to pay. Four playable characters, 30 extra stars, and more secrets. Could the N64 have given us all that? if the way the 3DS is treated in regards to Smash right now is anything to go by, No, it most certainly cannot.

Now let's get to the modern era. The Nintendo 3DS took Ocarina of Time, improved it's graphics what it could've looked like, added more detail, gave us an easier time in the acursed water temple, and gave us MASTER QUEST mode after beating the original storyline. Let me just ask you this: Could the Nintendo 64 have given us GameCube-type graphics, A MIRROR WORLD, AND Master Quest ALL? No. No it couldn't. Let me put it to you this way: The 3DS is as strong as if not stronger than the GameCube, which runs Melee beautifully. Lightning fast speed, the great control. And it can hold more characters. The 3DS is the same size as the DS, and yet I highly doubt the DS could take anything Smash above the original 64 version with updated graphics and a few more characters from Melee.

OVERALL POINT: The 3DS isn't as weak as people make it out to be and no matter what it WILL NOT hold back the Wii U version.

I am SICK and TIRED of SEEING and HEARING all the HATRED on the 3DS. NOW, Have I made my point CRYSTAL FREAKING CLEAR, and can we all accept that the 3DS will be great no matter what?!

Addendum: All things considered, couldn't the 3DS also support Super Mario 64 and improve upon it even more? like even more stars, secrets, maybe even an extra world or hub besides Peach's Castle?

EDIT: DANG that was long............
EDIT 2: Sorry for dropping in like this. I don't think I've replied here before.....Either that it's been a long time and I unwatched it from arguing with someone......

Last edited:

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I am SICK and TIRED of SEEING and HEARING all the HATRED on the 3DS. NOW, Have I made my point CRYSTAL FREAKING CLEAR, and can we all accept that the 3DS will be great no matter what?!
My primary concern is that they're going to botch the 3DS version. It's one thing to have faith in the console version, because it hasn't really reinvented the wheel or tried to build a better mousetrap particularly often. It's the one version I felt should've been released last simply because the 3DS version is new and interesting, and would've coast on novelty all by itself. Now we're getting it first, and it makes me wonder if that's really the best idea.

Specifically, I see all kinds of crazy randomness with the 3DS version whenever they show it off, and they've been EXTREMELY reluctant to release any real information about the 3DS version besides brief clips and Smash Run. I know they've been really hush-hush about Smash Wii U, but I think we all have a really good idea of what to expect there anyway. The 3DS version is generally this big question mark, a great big unknown.

So, really, I'm glad you're optimistic about it being great, 'cause I feel like I have reason to have my doubts.

Greda

Smash Journeyman
If I ever meet someone from GameXplain in real life after their recent Smash Bros. Discussion, I will punch them in the face. TWICE. They're calling the 3DS inferior now JUST because they don't like the control scheme!

Let me just say this. I. DON'T. CARE. ABOUT. GRAPHICS! I Loved Smash 64, yet it's one of hte most graphically poor 64 games. I LOVED Melee about as much as ANY competitve player does, even though it's graphics are bright and colorful. I love Brawl, despite the fact that it looks extremely dark and gritty, especially compared to previous Smash Games. The main visual difference between 3DS and Wii U Smash is that the Wii U has more teeny tiny details because of the HD. The 3DS is more cartoony, and honestly I love it. I love the effects on-hit that I've seen and I love the special effects Sakurai added to just the attacks themselves.

I might not have been able to play the demos of Smash 4, but playing Kirby Triple Deluxe, just in general, gets me hyped up for the 3DS smash. Maybe I wouldn't feel this way if my family had more money and we owned ourselves a Wii U, but we don't. My mom and I barely afforded our 3DS's we have now. Smash 3DS is getting exclusive modes and in what universe does the difference between two versions of the same game given that someone actually puts THOUGHT into them-- Wait a minute.

Oh, now I know why people hate Smash 3DS. It's all about Sonic Generations isn't it?! SEGA Purposely dumbed down the game for the handheld Nintendo version simply because they thought it couldn't handle it. Let me tell you, it most certainly COULD.

Let's take Pokemon into this. Besides the 3rd Releases Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum, is there any version truly 100% superior to the other? No. No there isn't. Smash is gonna be the same way. I don't care if Smash 3DS puts the system to it's limits, Smash 3DS will be just as awesome as the Wii U and there are NO logical arguments against it.

As far as I care anyway, I'm just glad we're even GETTING a handheld version. Maybe everyone ELSE should too. Eventually handhelds will be EVERY gaming console.

While it is true that at first, the Gameboy handheld was inferior to the Nintendo Entertainment System, The Gameboy Color was MUCH more advanced. If had color and could support proper cutscenes. The Gameboy Advance SP could support voice clips and very short 3D cutscenes (look up the beginning of the Legend of Spyro: Eternal Night's GBA version). The Nintendo DS could support SUPER MARIO F$%#ING 64, One of the most revolutionary games of ALL TIME. Oh, AND it improved upon it in certain areas. Admitedly, the 64 version could at least give us a V sign, but at the very least that is a small price to pay. Four playable characters, 30 extra stars, and more secrets. Could the N64 have given us all that? if the way the 3DS is treated in regards to Smash right now is anything to go by, No, it most certainly cannot.

Now let's get to the modern era. The Nintendo 3DS took Ocarina of Time, improved it's graphics what it could've looked like, added more detail, gave us an easier time in the acursed water temple, and gave us MASTER QUEST mode after beating the original storyline. Let me just ask you this: Could the Nintendo 64 have given us GameCube-type graphics, A MIRROR WORLD, AND Master Quest ALL? No. No it couldn't. Let me put it to you this way: The 3DS is as strong as if not stronger than the GameCube, which runs Melee beautifully. Lightning fast speed, the great control. And it can hold more characters. The 3DS is the same size as the DS, and yet I highly doubt the DS could take anything Smash above the original 64 version with updated graphics and a few more characters from Melee.

OVERALL POINT: The 3DS isn't as weak as people make it out to be and no matter what it WILL NOT hold back the Wii U version.

Addendum: All things considered, couldn't the 3DS also support Super Mario 64 and improve upon it even more? like even more stars, secrets, maybe even an extra world or hub besides Peach's Castle?

EDIT: DANG that was long............
EDIT 2: Sorry for dropping in like this. I don't think I've replied here before.....Either that it's been a long time and I unwatched it from arguing with someone......
I'm clapping.

Someone FINALLY said it. Everyone needs to read this, and I'm serious. I'm sick and tired of seeing hate on the 3DS for no good reason.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
[quote="Maikou, post: 16967764, member: 238If I ever meet someone from GameXplain in real life after their recent Smash Bros. Discussion, I will punch them in the face. TWICE. They're calling the 3DS inferior now JUST because they don't like the control scheme!

Addendum: All things considered, couldn't the 3DS also support Super Mario 64 and improve upon it even more? like even more stars, secrets, maybe even an extra world or hub besides Peach's?/quote]

Why did you have to make me cry with such a beautiful and honest statement? This is the greatest thing to be said about the 3DS in a long time.

Last edited:

MrGameandBalls

Smash Apprentice
I hate it when people say this version is inferior. It really pisses me off. not even kidding. '''wii version will be defenitife version lulz'' ''3ds version has bad grafik lawl'' ''3ds is to weak fur smahs '' ''gamcub contorl and big scren bettar thun 3ds control'' "3ds is 2 cartuny" ''lAwl guys SSB4 3DS = MINI SMASH" Neither versions are inferior. Everyone who hates the 3DS version or thinks it's inferior is basically saying that Sakurai isn't doing his job right and they think they can do better. Also, @ Maikou Maikou , I couldn't have said better dude. Everyone who doubts the 3DS version should see your post.

Morbi

Scavenger
I hate it when people say this version is inferior. It really pisses me off. not even kidding. '''wii version will be defenitife version lulz'' ''3ds version has bad grafik lawl'' ''3ds is to weak fur smahs '' ''gamcub contorl and big scren bettar thun 3ds control'' "3ds is 2 cartuny" ''lAwl guys SSB4 3DS = MINI SMASH" Neither versions are inferior. Everyone who hates the 3DS version or thinks it's inferior is basically saying that Sakurai isn't doing his job right and they think they can do better. Also, @ Maikou Maikou , I couldn't have said better dude. Everyone who doubts the 3DS version should see your post.
The 3DS version is objectively the inferior version regardless of whether or not you do not feel that way. The hardware is not really comparable. That is not necessarily inherently bad, but it is fact. So I suppose Sakurai is not doing his job correctly; however, I would not assert that I could personally do better. Albeit, I would hire a creative director that could.

Yodude57

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yodude57
3DS FC
3282-2513-0940
The 3DS version is objectively the inferior version regardless of whether or not you do not feel that way. The hardware is not really comparable. That is not necessarily inherently bad, but it is fact. So I suppose Sakurai is not doing his job correctly; however, I would not assert that I could personally do better. Albeit, I would hire a creative director that could.
What director do you know who could make the wii u and 3ds versions of smash at the same time while still keeping the game the way smash was meant to be played better than Sakurai?

Morbi

Scavenger
What director do you know who could make the wii u and 3ds versions of smash at the same time while still keeping the game the way smash was meant to be played better than Sakurai?
Sakurai is actually probably one of the most ideal developers in regards to that and we are fortunate to have this opportunity; however, if the decision was up to me, I would not advocate for a 3DS version at all. I would honestly focus on a definitive Wii U console-seller that could be the best version possible without any limitations (which do exist, believe it or not).

C_Mill24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C-Mill24
3DS FC
3609-1632-1621
I'm still purchasing the 3DS version. My preorder is already fully paid so I might as well still get it, whether I like the game or not. I'm pretty sure people don't like it mostly because of the control scheme. It doesn't seem that hard to adapt to, really.

Yodude57

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yodude57
3DS FC
3282-2513-0940
Sakurai is actually probably one of the most ideal developers in regards to that and we are fortunate to have this opportunity; however, if the decision was up to me, I would not advocate for a 3DS version at all. I would honestly focus on a definitive Wii U console-seller that could be the best version possible without any limitations (which do exist, believe it or not).
That would be really cool! In an ideal world the wii u would have sold amazingly and they probably would have just made it for the wii u. But, as you probably know already, they had to make the 3ds version to "evolve the series" and the 3ds is selling much better. And I have a 3ds so that would such if it was wii u exclusive for me :( but I completely get your point. Btw sweet signature ;)

Last edited:

Maikou

Smash Ace
Let me put it to you this way: I KNOW the 3DS has limitations, but as far as I know, Sakurai has only confirmed that between the two version, the EXACT ROSTER is the only similarity. I'm sure there are others, but besides The Characters, the Customization, and the Items, the two games will be completely different save for the things that are stapled into the series such as the All-Star and Classic modes. And I'm pretty sure both games will be around the same pacing/speed.

I'm trying to be respectable here, but I get very angry very easily when it comes to the 3DS. Not everyone has a Wii U and apparently it's still endangered. Developing both versions is the best course of action as far as I know. Besides that fact, this will be the first ever HANDHELD Smash, which I'm pretty sure more than just a few people have wanted for years.

Actually, let me make that a point. WHY do people hate on the 3DS version when people have WANTED this to happen for YEARS OF THEIR LIVES?! Seriously, that's like demanding a new Mario Game with some extra bonuses and different gameplay and then HATING IT for being "too different" when that's EXACTLY what you WANTED in the FIRST PLACE!

YES, consoles better than each handheld of THEIR GENERATION, BUT compared to the GameCube, the 3DS is REVOLUTIONARY. The first ever 3D capable gaming system EVER. The 3DS could hold all of Melee and possibly even improve on it in some areas.

As I've mentioned many times before, the 3DS is the equivalent of a handheld GameCube System, which took the AMAZING Super Smash Brothers Melee with almost NO PROBLEMS. I've had the same copy of Melee for an extremely long time, which works perfectly fine in both a Wii and a GameCube. Plus I've had my Wii for at least two, maybe three years and it's STILL going strong. Melee has NEVER frozen up on me. Brawl ALSO has never really frozen up on me except for maybe one or two times.

Again, my overall point is that the 3DS isn't as limited as people think. All technological systems have their limits, even HD Consoles can only take so much data. The 3DS might not have as much data capacity, but at the very least it's not going to hold back the Wii U. Even if it MIGHT, it's not going to hold it back THAT MUCH. The two games will be equally great by both consoles standards. The very least you can do is be happy for the people who only have 3DS systems and no Wii Us who will be able to enjoy Smash just as much as ever. Seriously, people should stop hating the 3DS and just be glad we're even getting both versions in the first place. According to someone else in another thread, people should glad to even be getting the console version. According to that person Sakurai initially only wanted to produce the 3DS version. Of course this info could be wrong, but either way people should just stop hating on the 3DS version and just be glad either version exists in the first place.

Once again, this was very long.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I'm trying to be respectable here, but I get very angry very easily when it comes to the 3DS. Not everyone has a Wii U and apparently it's still endangered. Developing both versions is the best course of action as far as I know. Besides that fact, this will be the first ever HANDHELD Smash, which I'm pretty sure more than just a few people have wanted for years.

Actually, let me make that a point. WHY do people hate on the 3DS version when people have WANTED this to happen for YEARS OF THEIR LIVES?! Seriously, that's like demanding a new Mario Game with some extra bonuses and different gameplay and then HATING IT for being "too different" when that's EXACTLY what you WANTED in the FIRST PLACE!

Gamers don't know what they want...

YES, consoles better than each handheld of THEIR GENERATION, BUT compared to the GameCube, the 3DS is REVOLUTIONARY. The first ever 3D capable gaming system EVER. The 3DS could hold all of Melee and possibly even improve on it in some areas.
It's actually been proven that the 3DS could hold BRAWL. Yes, you read that right, the ENTIRE data on the Brawl disc. Now, holding back on some stuff won't kill it (so SSE now and such) so the console should be more then capable of handling it I agree.

Let me take this moment to mention this again, it is remarkable how much hate this game gets for no reason. I have a bad feeling it could split our community as much so if not more then Melee and Brawl at this rate. People really should be good to each other, or I can see in the future Smashboards having competition of some kind from 3DS folks who make their own forum to get away from being the subject of baseless insults all of the time.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Lut it to you this way: I KNOW the 3DS has limitations, but as far as I know, Sakurai has only confirmed that between the two version, the EXACT ROSTER is the only similarity. I'm sure there are others, but besides The Characters, the Customization, and the Items, the two games will be completely different save for the things that are stapled into the series such as the All-Star and Classic modes. And I'm pretty sure both games will be around the same pacing/speed.

As I've mentioned many times before, the 3DS is the equivalent of a handheld GameCube System, which took the AMAZING Super Smash Brothers Melee with almost NO PROBLEMS. I've had the same copy of Melee for an extremely long time, which works perfectly fine in both a Wii and a GameCube. Plus I've had my Wii for at least two, maybe three years and it's STILL going strong. Melee has NEVER frozen up on me. Brawl ALSO has never really frozen up on me except for maybe one or two times.

Again, my overall point is that the 3DS isn't as limited as people think. All technological systems have their limits, even HD Consoles can only take so much data. The 3DS might not have as much data capacity, but at the very least it's not going to hold back the Wii U. Even if it MIGHT, it's not going to hold it back THAT MUCH. The two games will be equally great by both consoles standards. The very least you can do is be happy for the people who only have 3DS systems and no Wii Us who will be able to enjoy Smash just as much as ever. Seriously, people should stop hating the 3DS and just be glad we're even getting both versions in the first place. According to someone else in another thread, people should glad to even be getting the console version. According to that person Sakurai initially only wanted to produce the 3DS version. Of course this info could be wrong, but either way people should just stop hating on the 3DS version and just be glad either version exists in the first place.

Why must you make such great points (these are a masterpiece)

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
I would honestly focus on a definitive Wii U console-seller that could be the best version possible without any limitations (which do exist, believe it or not).
Remember that Sakurai and his team are trying to make money, their best bet is to go full scale on the 3DS since it's far outsold the Wii U. On the contrary amongst the more casual crowd only some will buy the Wii U mostly for smash bros then maybe some Wii U games. I don't know how much of a tipper a new Smash Bros is for the majority, but perhaps Nintendo had those figures and made the call. They actually were planning to make it 3DS only then decided to make a version for the Wii U so that speaks a lot, they could've said the same thing as you Morbid, but either they knew it still wouldn't sell as well as the 3DS or it was to risky and they didn't wanna roll their dice.

It's actually been proven that the 3DS could hold BRAWL. Yes, you read that right, the ENTIRE data on the Brawl disc
I know the 3DS could hold Brawl, but I'm a little doubtful it could play Brawl. I don't really know the specs of the 3DS and the requirements to run Brawl, but I'd like to know. If it could just barely run Brawl that'd be problematic with overheating and freezing I'd think. But with the 3DS games already released being less than half of it's data limit I feel there's a reason they don't "stack up" those cartridges with greatness. I remember hearing in Fire Emblem Awakening the characters don't have feet because they weren't certain of the 3DS's ability to handle that many bones and such. If that were the reason most don't go that far data-wise, I'd be pretty angry at how lazy that sounds, "I don't know how powerful the system we're making this game for is." "Okay so instead of trying to find out we nerf the game?" "Mhm."

Those things being said, I feel that Brawl's best points were the incredible cutscenes (seriously SSE was like the most awesome part of Brawl, I loved those cutscenes to pieces), some items, and maybe Boss Battle mode. And since Sakurai said they wouldn't make cutscenes for a lame reason, I can easily believe the 3DS will be better than Brawl-SSE.

It's actually really hilarious that people think the 3DS will be worse when it's "the same game". The core gameplay and mechanics will be the same. If they made a Gamecube controll adapter on the 3DS, you will be just as good as you are on the Wii U. So if worse = "I enjoy the special modes on the Wii U more than the 3DS's modes" or "Wii U looks prettier" then you have no grounds for arguing because your basically arguing which burger/pizza is better. Now if the Wii U had a portable battery and a flip up screen then it and the 3DS are the same product, therefore if Smash 4 3ds and Wii U were the same exact game in every way then the Wii U better since does everything the 3DS does with the bonus of HD and more controller options. That would make it the same exact pizzas but the Wii U has free bread sticks and a soda. The Wii U and 3DS have the same core gameplay we all play smash bros for, but there are things that are different about them. That means if your a comp player the 3DS is not less fun since they are the same game, Wii U has better graphics and controllers, 3DS is 3D first of all (lol) and can be played literally anywhere (so at tourneys playing friendlies is possible at all times, anywhere), both have positives, so move on community. Love both for uniqueness. :)

Last edited:

Greda

Smash Journeyman
Let me put it to you this way: I KNOW the 3DS has limitations, but as far as I know, Sakurai has only confirmed that between the two version, the EXACT ROSTER is the only similarity. I'm sure there are others, but besides The Characters, the Customization, and the Items, the two games will be completely different save for the things that are stapled into the series such as the All-Star and Classic modes. And I'm pretty sure both games will be around the same pacing/speed.

This made me dig up one of my all time favorite videos.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
I got so mad at Andre for saying that. He's usually so mature about things but that was honestly just... Wow. Calling a game inferior just because he doesn't play 3DS games is just... Not right.

Greninja202

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1907-9671-3843
The controls takes a bit to get used to. Even though I like both versions, my favorite smash will be the 3ds version since its on a handheld and because of the stages so far and smash run. I also love the outlines of the characters. Its just as good as the wii u version and its not inferior. :)

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I got so mad at Andre for saying that. He's usually so mature about things but that was honestly just... Wow. Calling a game inferior just because he doesn't play 3DS games is just... Not right.
Well, let's be honest with ourselves here. We're Smash fans, so we prefer not to crap all over anything Smash, but.. when compared to the Wii U version, the 3DS version has:

* Inferior graphics
* Inferior sound and music options (probably even worse on XL's)
* Probably won't even run 60 FPS as promised when things get chaotic. The AT's/Pokemon running 30 FPS is a big hint there.
* Clearly affected the Wii U version in adverse ways, and we won't understand the extent of that 'til both versions launch
* Likely won't see any DLC or genuine support/balance patches unless it's a huge bug/problem.
* A strong focus on single player aspects means less development time was put into the real meat of the game
* A horrible control scheme. Let's get serious here: when even Nintendo knows the Wii U gamepad/Wii Remotes won't cut it for the Wii U version and release a first party peripheral to let you play the new Smash with Gamecube controllers, you know it's bad.

Among other things I'm certain I missed.

The funny thing is that a lot of that is nitpicking. Smash 3DS is going to truckloads of copies SIMPLY for the novelty of portable Smash. People won't really consider how good or bad the game is in the short-term, and I assume that's what they're banking on.

If we need to worry about anyone hating anything, I'd say we'd probably have to worry about the Wii U version. A lot of the issue with the Wii U version is going to boil down to how adversely the 3DS version manages to affect it in a multitude of aspects. I still think releasing the 3DS version first was a terrible business move because the Wii U version doesn't have novelty to coast it to a million plus sales like the 3DS version does, but now we'll have something to compare it to for the months and months we'll be playing the 3DS version.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Remember that Sakurai and his team are trying to make money, their best bet is to go full scale on the 3DS since it's far outsold the Wii U. On the contrary amongst the more casual crowd only some will buy the Wii U mostly for smash bros then maybe some Wii U games. I don't know how much of a tipper a new Smash Bros is for the majority, but perhaps Nintendo had those figures and made the call. They actually were planning to make it 3DS only then decided to make a version for the Wii U so that speaks a lot, they could've said the same thing as you Morbid, but either they knew it still wouldn't sell as well as the 3DS or it was to risky and they didn't wanna roll their dice.

I know the 3DS could hold Brawl, but I'm a little doubtful it could play Brawl. I don't really know the specs of the 3DS and the requirements to run Brawl, but I'd like to know. If it could just barely run Brawl that'd be problematic with overheating and freezing I'd think. But with the 3DS games already released being less than half of it's data limit I feel there's a reason they don't "stack up" those cartridges with greatness. I remember hearing in Fire Emblem Awakening the characters don't have feet because they weren't certain of the 3DS's ability to handle that many bones and such. If that were the reason most don't go that far data-wise, I'd be pretty angry at how lazy that sounds, "I don't know how powerful the system we're making this game for is." "Okay so instead of trying to find out we nerf the game?" "Mhm."

Those things being said, I feel that Brawl's best points were the incredible cutscenes (seriously SSE was like the most awesome part of Brawl, I loved those cutscenes to pieces), some items, and maybe Boss Battle mode. And since Sakurai said they wouldn't make cutscenes for a lame reason, I can easily believe the 3DS will be better than Brawl-SSE.

It's actually really hilarious that people think the 3DS will be worse when it's "the same game". The core gameplay and mechanics will be the same. If they made a Gamecube controll adapter on the 3DS, you will be just as good as you are on the Wii U. So if worse = "I enjoy the special modes on the Wii U more than the 3DS's modes" or "Wii U looks prettier" then you have no grounds for arguing because your basically arguing which burger/pizza is better. Now if the Wii U had a portable battery and a flip up screen then it and the 3DS are the same product, therefore if Smash 4 3ds and Wii U were the same exact game in every way then the Wii U better since does everything the 3DS does with the bonus of HD and more controller options. That would make it the same exact pizzas but the Wii U has free bread sticks and a soda. The Wii U and 3DS have the same core gameplay we all play smash bros for, but there are things that are different about them. That means if your a comp player the 3DS is not less fun since they are the same game, Wii U has better graphics and controllers, 3DS is 3D first of all (lol) and can be played literally anywhere (so at tourneys playing friendlies is possible at all times, anywhere), both have positives, so move on community. Love both for uniqueness. :)
I just want to be clear; I am not entirely opposed to a 3DS version. I am opposed to the concurrent development times and the release dates. The Wii U version could have been much more successful if they had released it first with a different roster, there promise to ensure that both versions are "separate but equal" (because hey, that worked here in Murica, it did not cause any problems at all). The 3DS version would come months later to satisfy those who did not want to purchase the new console. There version could have been different, it could have catered to that crowd. Smash Run would still be there, and perhaps more. However, the incentive is no longer present to buy the Wii U which is why I "hate" the 3DS version.

It is not necessarily the game, it is the repugnant decision making. But as you say, it is all about the immediate profit. It is not as though the consumers care, they just want Smash regardless. I can hardly blame the 3DS version for the actions of the incompetent.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Unpopular opinion time:

The 3DS will have less than the Wii U version. It will be condensed, as is the necessity. It will have less options. We've already seen evidence of this in the camera and the relative lack of music. SSBU will be the definitive version of SSB4.

But that doesn't make SSB3D bad.

Here's my point: Saying SSB3D is worse than SSBU is like saying vanilla ice cream is worse than cookie dough ice cream: It may be true, but the degree to which is true is, though noticeable, insignificant because it's still ice cream and it's still **** tasty.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Unpopular opinion time:

The 3DS will have less than the Wii U version. It will be condensed, as is the necessity. It will have less options. We've already seen evidence of this in the camera and the relative lack of music. SSBU will be the definitive version of SSB4.

But that doesn't make SSB3D bad.

Here's my point: Saying SSB3D is worse than SSBU is like saying vanilla ice cream is worse than cookie dough ice cream: It may be true, but the degree to which is true is, though noticeable, insignificant because it's still ice cream and it's still **** tasty.
You forgot to assert that they are both subjective as well.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I want to reply to this. I really do. But you people are just ticking me off too much. Goodbye.
You know, that's very immature of you... So far, I'm the only one who disagreed with you and even I was comparing it to ice cream.

That's a positive comparison. Even if SSBU's a 10, SSB3D's still a 9 in my book. SSB3D's not just good for its console's standards, it goes beyond the console's standards to make a good game period. But unfortunately, when you put it on the larger scale, it's just not a 1/1 tradeoff between the two versions. That's just the way it is.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
You know, that's very immature of you... So far, I'm the only one who disagreed with you and even I was comparing it to ice cream.
I wouldn't poke the bear in this situation. If someone wants to drop out of a discussion, it's best not to force it. Mature or not, a raw nerve was hit and it's best not to try to debate with someone whose mad enough to want to walk away.

Greda

Smash Journeyman
* Inferior graphics
* Inferior sound and music options (probably even worse on XL's)
* Probably won't even run 60 FPS as promised when things get chaotic. The AT's/Pokemon running 30 FPS is a big hint there.
* Clearly affected the Wii U version in adverse ways, and we won't understand the extent of that 'til both versions launch
* Likely won't see any DLC or genuine support/balance patches unless it's a huge bug/problem.
* A strong focus on single player aspects means less development time was put into the real meat of the game
* A horrible control scheme. Let's get serious here: when even Nintendo knows the Wii U gamepad/Wii Remotes won't cut it for the Wii U version and release a first party peripheral to let you play the new Smash with Gamecube controllers, you know it's bad.

Among other things I'm certain I missed.
Graphics, music, and control scheme are debatable.

I do believe, though, it will stay on a stable framerate. I only think AT's/Pokemon are running on 30 FPS are just to maintain 60 FPS. I believe as well that Sakurai said that he didn't want DLC at all?

I also have heard that it was only intended for the 3DS version to be made only, so I don't see how it would be holding back the Wii U version in any way.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Let me ask you this: What's more mature, announcing that you are angry and leaving to cool off, or blowing up and going on a tangent in all capslock?
Same warning goes to you. If you're done, be done but if you think you can continue in a calm and collected way, by all means. I'd prefer if this didn't turn into a slap fight between the two of you so if you're still mad, just walk away like you did before.

Top Bottom