• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Why do people hate the 3DS Smash Bros. so much?!?!

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
Not really on topic, but I'll still answer.

It's at least partially because custom stages that are competitively safe are just boring to look at, assuming you mean the stage builder. Not EVERYTHING in tournament play is ultra sterile.
Yeah, sorry for the off topicness there, it just came up because someone mentioned the stage builder. And I know not everything is ultra sterile, but you can at least have 3 stages with each background just for the sake of competitiveness, right? Maybe add some sort of feature? Iunno. With that said, I'm gonna get back on topic.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I see the 3DS version selling well for those who have a tight budget and won't want a Wii U, but I will say that the Wii U will end up being the definitive version since you only need one copy of the game to play with friends. And there is something attractive being able to play on the Big screen.

Maikou

Smash Ace
There's also something attractive about being able to play a full on Smash Bros game on the train. or at night, when you should technically be sleeping. Or anywhere, really. Seriously, the 3DS and Wii U versions are equal, I'm sick of this "definitive version" crap!

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
There's also something attractive about being able to play a full on Smash Bros game on the train. or at night, when you should technically be sleeping. Or anywhere, really. Seriously, the 3DS and Wii U versions are equal, I'm sick of this "definitive version" crap!
Don't get me wrong, a portable version of the game is awesome, but there is just something about being able to play with friends on the Big screen.

Both versions will be great though.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Look, even those of us that aren't bashing the 3DS version acknowledge that it's been compressed to fit on the weaker hardware, sacrificing modes, music, et cetera. You're the only one who doesn't seem to realize that.

Compressed doesn't mean worse, but the versions are not by any definition a 1/1 port of each other.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Like I said on the other thread, neither version is inferior and the games will be great in their own right. I like both, to be honest, but I see myself playing the 3DS game more than the Wii U game. But yeah, there's personal preference, some might like the Wii U game only, the 3DS game only, and maybe both.

The-Power-Within

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterSword06
3DS FC
0447-7094-2346
I'm sure both will be the same gameplay-wise. Although the Wii U one seems like it'll be used more commonly competitive wise, the 3DS Version will still be worth buying. Heck, both versions will both be worth it, but that's not my point. My point is that the 3DS Version, although with a bit weaker graphics and less data than the Wii U version, will be the same as the Wii U version, not counting stages, graphical changes and features.

Maikou

Smash Ace
I'm sure both will be the same gameplay-wise. Although the Wii U one seems like it'll be used more commonly competitive wise, the 3DS Version will still be worth buying. Heck, both versions will both be worth it, but that's not my point. My point is that the 3DS Version, although with a bit weaker graphics and less data than the Wii U version, will be the same as the Wii U version, not counting stages, graphical changes and features.
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! BY THE LOVE OF ARCEUS, THANK YOU!

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Yes, we all agree that the games have identical cores - the mechanics and the characters. And I'm very thankful for that - it's very unusual for a console/portable dual release to have that.

The differences between the versions are outside of that, and ultimately that will decide which version someone prefers.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Personally, I hate it because I feel it's getting the better treatment compared to the Wii U version. It has Smash Run, more gamemodes, better and dynamic stages, 3D 60 FPS gameplay.

What does the Wii U version have? Gamecube controls? I prefer the classic controller pro. Graphics? Smash has never been about them. Online play? No ones gonna go get the custom e-thernet cable. It should have been included.

Greda

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I hate it because I feel it's getting the better treatment compared to the Wii U version. It has Smash Run, more gamemodes, better and dynamic stages, 3D 60 FPS gameplay.

What does the Wii U version have? Gamecube controls? I prefer the classic controller pro. Graphics? Smash has never been about them. Online play? No ones gonna go get the custom e-thernet cable. It should have been included.
If you ask me, I think the Wii U version of smash will eventually get more modes than the 3DS version. This is natural, yet I understand what you mean when you say all this.

Still, why hate a version if it's getting more modes? Isn't that better as a whole? As an example, I was disappointed at first when Japan's release was around a month earlier than ours, but then I shrugged it off knowing that people over there will get to have fresh, new experiences, and it would be better for Japan to have an earlier opportunity than get it delayed just for the burden of us. The community would have a better head start, and we will know what to expect, too.

This is also how I feel about the 3DS and Wii U release gap. I'd rather get one version first then have it delayed just for the sake of the other version. It would be better experiences for us as a whole.

On another point, I agree with you. The Wii U version needs more attention in modes and other features, and I'm disappointed to not have seen any of them yet.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
If you ask me, I think the Wii U version of smash will eventually get more modes than the 3DS version. This is natural, yet I understand what you mean when you say all this.

Still, why hate a version if it's getting more modes? Isn't that better as a whole? As an example, I was disappointed at first when Japan's release was around a month earlier than ours, but then I shrugged it off knowing that people over there will get to have fresh, new experiences, and it would be better for Japan to have an earlier opportunity than get it delayed just for the burden of us. The community would have a better head start, and we will know what to expect, too.

This is also how I feel about the 3DS and Wii U release gap. I'd rather get one version first then have it delayed just for the sake of the other version. It would be better experiences for us as a whole.

On another point, I agree with you. The Wii U version needs more attention in modes and other features, and I'm disappointed to not have seen any of them yet.
Well, the gap between the two makes me think Nintendo is trying to double their sales. People are gonna get the 3DS version, be overwhelmed with the hype, and get the Wii U version, like me. The problem I see with this is the Wii U version is nothing is going for it "yet." I hope some exclusive game modes get announced soon.

I've been irritated by the 3DS version since it's announcement. You'd think that they would keep it a exclusive to the Wii U, as the Wii U is in trouble financially. Mario Kart 8 helped it, but still. Exclusives sell systems, so depending on what's exclusive to the Wii U version will determine it's sales. That is the problem with their marketing strategy.

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
I've been irritated by the 3DS version since it's announcement. You'd think that they would keep it a exclusive to the Wii U, as the Wii U is in trouble financially. Mario Kart 8 helped it, but still. Exclusives sell systems, so depending on what's exclusive to the Wii U version will determine it's sales. That is the problem with their marketing strategy.
smash was announced before the wii u debuted. it was announced when the 3ds was a flop and they thought the wii u would boom like the wii

thats the ONLY reason we have two smashes. they wanted to save their 3ds. funny how it all played out

RedCap-BlueSpikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedCapBlueSpikes
smash was announced before the wii u debuted. it was announced when the 3ds was a flop and they thought the wii u would boom like the wii

thats the ONLY reason we have two smashes. they wanted to save their 3ds. funny how it all played out
Correction: Sakurai said that, originally, it was going to be 3DS exclusive, but Iwata asked him to make a Wii U version as well (Or, at least, something along those lines happened). This was said around E3 2011, I believe.

Soul.

Wasn't the entire game revealed for the first time at E3 2013?
If you're talking about the gameplay, yeah. But before that, the 3DS version was going to be an exclusive. At least there's a Wii U version for those who will use the 3DS version as a training ground. If that's the opposite, 3DS players will play on their version a lot more. Like others have said before, the two versions aren't inferior, they're equal.

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
If you're talking about the gameplay, yeah. But before that, the 3DS version was going to be an exclusive. At least there's a Wii U version for those who will use the 3DS version as a training ground. If that's the opposite, 3DS players will play on their version a lot more. Like others have said before, the two versions aren't inferior, they're equal.
And yet the 3DS version launches first as if it is the inferior version, when it is not.

Soul.

And yet the 3DS version launches first as if it is the inferior version, when it is not.
I agree with this. Just because it launches first doesn't mean it will be the inferior version. There will be players on the 3DS version, and there will be players for the Wii U version. It's just a matter of preference.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Correction: Sakurai said that, originally, it was going to be 3DS exclusive, but Iwata asked him to make a Wii U version as well (Or, at least, something along those lines happened). This was said around E3 2011, I believe.
This leads me to believe that Sakurai has nothing planned for the Wii U version because of him wanting the game to be a 3DS exclusive. He's not "passionate" for it.
I agree with this. Just because it launches first doesn't mean it will be the inferior version. There will be players on the 3DS version, and there will be players for the Wii U version. It's just a matter of preference.
Sakurai isn't handling this like the Pokemon games. So far, one version has more content then the other. While I'm getting both, the average consumer would want the version cheaper and has more content, right?

Soul.

This leads me to believe that Sakurai has nothing planned for the Wii U version because of him wanting the game to be a 3DS exclusive. He's not "passionate" for it.

Sakurai isn't handling this like the Pokemon games. So far, one version has more content then the other. While I'm getting both, the average consumer would want the version cheaper and has more content, right?
I guess he only made a Wii U version to please the fans. Had it been a 3DS-exclusive game, something else would happen. That version will have its own exclusive modes, just like the 3DS version with Smash Run. I think both will be equal in content.
The only thing that matters is that the Wii U version exists, and that the 3DS version is still there.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I guess he only made a Wii U version to please the fans. Had it been a 3DS-exclusive game, something else would happen. That version will have its own exclusive modes, just like the 3DS version with Smash Run. I think both will be equal in content.
The only thing that matters is that the Wii U version exists, and that the 3DS version is still there.
Yes, and that is disappointing. We'll have to see though. I predict a Wii U Smash Direct.

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
I don't know why people are getting their feathers ruffled. They are withholding Wii U info, they've done work on it but haven't told us things about it. I think they're taking the smart approach and waiting for 3DS release, the Wii U is going to have some epic modes/content and they don't want dampen the hype for 3DS. After the 3DS release they're gonna pump a lot of hype into Wii U exclusives.

D

Deleted member

I'm pretty sure Smash Bros. Wii U will have the same amount of content as Smash Bros. 3DS. They're just focusing on the 3DS version for now, and after release, we'll get more info on modes for Wii U. Nintendo asked Sakurai to make a 3DS game, right after Brawl's release, in 2008. Since Sakurai had to learn how to make games for the 3DS, he decided to make Kid Icarus: Uprising first, and Smash Bros. as the second game. Only Iwata and Sakurai knew about the next Smash Bros. back then. Yeah, SSB4 was going to be 3DS-exclusive, but knowing that the 3DS hardware had limitations, he decided to make it for both Wii U and 3DS. So I think the 3DS version was concieved in 2008, and the Wii U one in 2011, before the E3 2011 announcement. Who knows?

Last edited by a moderator:

LandonRobinson

Smash Veteran
NNID
OptimumForge
3DS FC
2148-8311-3367
It's blind stupidity. Seems perfectly fine and fun for Smash on the go, and we've already got an insane amount of characters.

Kirbybrawl

Smash Cadet
the only thing i don't like about the 3ds version so far is that each stage only has two songs.

Hyperstorm

Smash Rookie
Well, generally handheld games tend to be significantly inferior to their console counterparts.

Greninja202

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1907-9671-3843
Well, generally handheld games tend to be significantly inferior to their console counterparts.
The nintendo 3ds isn't inferior in any way. The previous handelds probably, but certainly not the nintendo 3ds or 2ds.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Well, let's be honest with ourselves here. We're Smash fans, so we prefer not to crap all over anything Smash, but.. when compared to the Wii U version, the 3DS version has:

* Inferior graphics
* Inferior sound and music options (probably even worse on XL's)
* Probably won't even run 60 FPS as promised when things get chaotic. The AT's/Pokemon running 30 FPS is a big hint there.
* Clearly affected the Wii U version in adverse ways, and we won't understand the extent of that 'til both versions launch
* Likely won't see any DLC or genuine support/balance patches unless it's a huge bug/problem.
* A strong focus on single player aspects means less development time was put into the real meat of the game
* A horrible control scheme. Let's get serious here: when even Nintendo knows the Wii U gamepad/Wii Remotes won't cut it for the Wii U version and release a first party peripheral to let you play the new Smash with Gamecube controllers, you know it's bad.

Among other things I'm certain I missed.

The funny thing is that a lot of that is nitpicking. Smash 3DS is going to truckloads of copies SIMPLY for the novelty of portable Smash. People won't really consider how good or bad the game is in the short-term, and I assume that's what they're banking on.

If we need to worry about anyone hating anything, I'd say we'd probably have to worry about the Wii U version. A lot of the issue with the Wii U version is going to boil down to how adversely the 3DS version manages to affect it in a multitude of aspects. I still think releasing the 3DS version first was a terrible business move because the Wii U version doesn't have novelty to coast it to a million plus sales like the 3DS version does, but now we'll have something to compare it to for the months and months we'll be playing the 3DS version.
Horrible Control Scheme: Subjective.
And the Gamepad's an amazing controller, I don't know what you're trying to say here. The Gamepad's miles better than that tiny little crappy thing with technicolor buttons. A strong focus on single players aspects IS what many people want, most people loved SSE outside of these boards because they actually care about the content. And BTW, the XL makes every game look better.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Horrible Control Scheme: Subjective.
And the Gamepad's an amazing controller, I don't know what you're trying to say here. The Gamepad's miles better than that tiny little crappy thing with technicolor buttons. A strong focus on single players aspects IS what many people want, most people loved SSE outside of these boards because they actually care about the content. And BTW, the XL makes every game look better.
Well the control scheme is going to feel a little uncomfortable for some people, especially if users with normal size 3DS/2DS. So unless people have XL (and even then, some might not like the control scheme), it's not exactly subjective. But I know that single player "point" you made up on the spot is very subjective though. "Outside of these boards?" Such a lazy reason.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Well the control scheme is going to feel a little uncomfortable for some people, especially if users with normal size 3DS/2DS. So unless people have XL (and even then, some might not like the control scheme), it's not exactly subjective. But I know that single player "point" you made up on the spot is very subjective though. "Outside of these boards?" Such a lazy reason.
It's not a lazy reason :v Look at any other site talking about the story mode for Smash, while Smashboards seems to be 90% anti-SSE and 10% pro-SSE, most other sites talking about Smash seem to be the other way around, with a lot of people dissapointed with the story mode now missing. I know the control scheme will need time getting used to...but hell, we've already seen how well an unusual control scheme can work for a Sakurai game with Kid Icarus: Uprising, that game's awkward through the first few levels before you finally realize how amazing the controls are and how much precision and maneuverability they give you, give Smash 3DS a few months and everyone will be playing like pros after they get over the lack of C-stick.

kidd_guez

Smash Rookie
I have a GameCube a wii and a 3ds lol so I'm hype for 3ds version. Maybe in the future I'll get a wii u

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
3ds is launching first because they started it before the wii U version. Same reason we havent been shown any wii u modes, and Sakurai has said that Smash U will get an equivalent to Smash Run.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
3ds is launching first because they started it before the wii U version. Same reason we havent been shown any wii u modes, and Sakurai has said that Smash U will get an equivalent to Smash Run.
I'm interested to know what that could possibly be. Pretty interested to see if it's better.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I just don't think it's necessary. It's not a bad game by any means and I'm getting both games when they come out day/night (If possible) of launch.

But... I kind of wish it wasn't a thing. Not because of limitations etc, but because of just the amount of hype for the wii U one that it'll deflate. You'll go into buying the Wii U version knowing all the characters, moves, etc... It makes it a bit more boring.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
I just don't think it's necessary. It's not a bad game by any means and I'm getting both games when they come out day/night (If possible) of launch.

But... I kind of wish it wasn't a thing. Not because of limitations etc, but because of just the amount of hype for the wii U one that it'll deflate. You'll go into buying the Wii U version knowing all the characters, moves, etc... It makes it a bit more boring.
I don't think it'll deflate Wii U hype too much:
- Amazing graphics
- Exclusive gamemodes
- New stages
- New controls (probably better)
- Unlock everything again
- Same screen multiplayer
- Probably more

As has been said, the developers' thoughts regarding Smash 3DS vs Smash U is that the former is more tailored towards allowing players to gather customisations, train their mechanics and get familiar with the characters and feel of the game in order to "prepare" for the more definitive (not saying that the 3DS version is inferior here) gameplay experience in the Wii U version. :)

Last edited:

Soul.

I don't think it'll deflate Wii U hype too much:
- Amazing graphics
- Exclusive gamemodes
- New stages
- New controls (probably better)
- Unlock everything again
- Same screen multiplayer
- Probably more

As has been said, the developers' thoughts regarding Smash 3DS vs Smash U is that the former is more tailored towards allowing players to gather customisations, train their mechanics and get familiar with the characters and feel of the game in order to "prepare" for the more definitive (not saying that the 3DS version is inferior here) gameplay experience in the Wii U version. :)
Well, what if they don't prepare for the Wii U version and keep playing on the 3DS? I'm sure a lot of players will still play on Smash 3DS even if the Wii U version is out. Both versions are getting competitive scenes, there are two different metagames because of the different stages, so yeah.

Last edited:
Top Bottom